March 29, 2024, 05:58:34 AM

Author Topic: A blast from de past - Now is the time  (Read 2911 times)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
A blast from de past - Now is the time
« on: August 11, 2009, 12:29:21 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/l6V-5rjpoSM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/l6V-5rjpoSM</a>

BIG CHUNE!!!  Wicked pan solo from Robbie Greenidge!

Scrunter and Brigo take win fuh me doh  8)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: A blast from de past - Now is the time
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 07:35:20 AM »
yes...thanks
buh I ent see Rafael de Leon?
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 02:09:20 PM »
Thxs nuff ah dem fellas pass doh.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Socaman

• Live Yuh Life Like Yuh Playin Mas!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 04:37:27 AM »
Nice memories...thnks...

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 10:58:33 AM »
Danfg I they ever close down youtube this would be my biggest loss.  Thanks Palos and showing meh wife a white calypso woman. :)  Trying to get she in calypso.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 11:01:45 AM »
So did Rootsman pass?
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 11:52:55 PM »
I don't know  if the "young" folks  remember this band. Black Truth Rhythm Band. I think they were from St. James-Cocorite area. Around the in 70s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laYrhoIj6EI

Soundway return once more to the Caribbean and are proud to present ‘Ifetayo’ by Black Truth Rhythm Band originally released in 1976. Led by the charismatic Oluko Imo, ‘Ifetayo’ was the only release from the Afro-centric, Trinidadian band and is re-issued here for the first time on CD, vinyl and digital. Whereas most of their peers at the time were looking to the funk of the USA & James Brown for inspiration, Black Truth Rhythm Band looked to Africa, fusing rhythms from Africa & the West Indies with elements of jazz, funk, calypso and soul.

From an early stage in their career it was the African influence that set Black Truth Rhythm Band apart from other West Indian bands. Formed in 1971, the group looked further a field than the USA for their influences, more specifically to Africa, even going as far as giving themselves African names and dressing in African clothes. At the time finding African records in the West Indies was particularly difficult, making the bands choice of influences even more rare.

In 1975 Imo took his musicians into the studio to record the album ‘Ifetayo’. Imo played bass, kalimba, conga, flute and percussion as well as lead vocals. The album was released the following year in 1976 and despite being released in the US, remained an underground, albeit unique and forward thinking record that has remained out of print for years now.

‘Ifetayo’ was to be the only release from Black Truth Rhythm Band but Imo continued his music and love of African rhythms, going onto record with Fela Kuti in 1988 and later on perform with members of Fela’s Egypt 80 band
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 12:16:35 AM by Deeks »

1]; } ?>