April 24, 2024, 06:49:11 AM

Author Topic: Premier League risks 'implosion'  (Read 5265 times)

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
Re: Premier League risks 'implosion'
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2009, 09:22:03 AM »
The teams also have a salary floor in terms of a minimum collective salary that the team must pay out. Guarantees yuh cyah chinks on players

Oh okay, I see what yuh mean... didn't know they had that in the NFL  :beermug:

yeah that is true.  One thing about Salary caps though as it pertains to parity, it totally depends on what kind of cap system you have.  If it's like the NFL where there is a hard cap then parity is the order of the day.  But if it's soft like in the NBA where you're allowed to go over and simply pay a fee, then I don't foresee anything changing with the big spenders really.  They will simply still hoard talent and pay what ever over the cap taxes and fees are required.  The NY Knicks of recent years are a perfect example of this.  Even though they haven't been competitive they are always among the top 3 teams in overall salaries, forever paying luxury taxes.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2009, 09:41:52 AM »
The teams also have a salary floor in terms of a minimum collective salary that the team must pay out. Guarantees yuh cyah chinks on players

Oh okay, I see what yuh mean... didn't know they had that in the NFL  :beermug:

yeah that is true.  One thing about Salary caps though as it pertains to parity, it totally depends on what kind of cap system you have.  If it's like the NFL where there is a hard cap then parity is the order of the day.  But if it's soft like in the NBA where you're allowed to go over and simply pay a fee, then I don't foresee anything changing with the big spenders really.  They will simply still hoard talent and pay what ever over the cap taxes and fees are required.  The NY Knicks of recent years are a perfect example of this.  Even though they haven't been competitive they are always among the top 3 teams in overall salaries, forever paying luxury taxes.

Nah the NBA have ah hard cap man... is MLB have the soft cap.  NBA have a hard cap, but have what's called the "Larry Bird exception" where teams are allowed to exceed the cap to re-sign their own players.  The Knicks actually aren't over the cap by much, if at all.  They just been maxed out the past couple years on some bad salaries... Steph and dogs like Jerome James for example, lol.  So they just haven't had any flexibility, but haven't really superceded the cap.

Yuh right though, there is no hard and fast model... leagues are free to customize their own cap system to find something that works for them.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2009, 02:17:28 PM »
All this talk about balancing the competitions. I did a little home work and its been the same in all the Leagues.
In a 17 year period before the Premier 6 teams won it, La Liga 5, Serie A 7. In the last 17 years Premier 4, La Liga 5, Serie A 6

What is also interesting is UEFA changed the rules of the CL to make it possible for Big teams to actually have a better chance of getting into the final 4. If they are so concerned they should make the format of the CL what is use to be, home and away knock out competition. Then we will see different teams in the CL final  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2009, 04:45:46 PM »
Personally I would like to see salary / squad size caps in the EPL. 

Football is fashionable again and everybody wants to be involved, but with anything in fashion it will go out of fashion at some point then what happens then.

Ambramovich has spent over £2 Million a week of his own money on Chelsea since he has been there, their loss last year was bigger than most of the other EPL clubs TURNOVER other than 5/6.  Chelsea owe him something in the region of £500/£600 Million.  The same will be happening at City, Manu debts are nearing £6/700 Million, Liverpool are struggling against too much debt.

Players / agents etc are bleeding the clubs dry with little or no thought for the future.  A salary cap for squads would help reduce the stupidity that is going on now, as for squad sizes EUFA already have a 25 limit on Champions League entry so there is a precedent for it.  There is also a free movement of labour European law but they are bringing in the 6 home grown players rule. 

I expect to see more clubs being pushed to the brink over the next couple of years there only hope being a very rich benefactor.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2009, 06:16:58 PM »

Football is fashionable again and everybody wants to be involved, but with anything in fashion it will go out of fashion at some point then what happens then.

Ambramovich has spent over £2 Million a week of his own money on Chelsea since he has been there, their loss last year was bigger than most of the other EPL clubs TURNOVER other than 5/6.  Chelsea owe him something in the region of £500/£600 Million.  The same will be happening at City, Manu debts are nearing £6/700 Million, Liverpool are struggling against too much debt.

Players / agents etc are bleeding the clubs dry with little or no thought for the future.  A salary cap for squads would help reduce the stupidity that is going on now, as for squad sizes EUFA already have a 25 limit on Champions League entry so there is a precedent for it.  There is also a free movement of labour European law but they are bringing in the 6 home grown players rule. 

I expect to see more clubs being pushed to the brink over the next couple of years there only hope being a very rich benefactor.

It comes to O if you still don't know what your doing. In 2007 Sunderland were the 4th biggest spenders in the Premier. Also Newcastle and Middlesborough over the years.. Where are they now? :devil:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2009, 02:30:47 AM »

It comes to O if you still don't know what your doing. In 2007 Sunderland were the 4th biggest spenders in the Premier. Also Newcastle and Middlesborough over the years.. Where are they now? :devil:

The reason for that was the squad was championship only.  The club had manageable debt given its crowd figures and recent  relatively cheap buyout.  To put that in perspective Liverpool spent 75% of what we spent for all the players on Torres. 

Clubs coming up that are going to spend are going to be near the top end of the nett spending charts because usually they are not moving players on that are worth a great deal of money.  The trick is when you are in a position to move on decent players for good money how much do you invest in improving the team.  The club has probably had its lowest nett spend this year since its return to but is till 4 good players short of a decent team.  I suspect keeping a lid on spending is the reason the squad is thin.

The truth came out finally about how poorly Newcastle has been run and Boro came out last season and made the comment whether it could afford to be in the prem rather than be in it.  Look at the likes of Blackburn, Wigan etc who have to sell to survive and their only goal is to avoid relegation, if relegated they will be in trouble. 

Chelsea and now City are just spending what they haven't got, if they were a normal business they would be bust.  Manu and Liverpool are feeling the pinch and will struggle if interest rates go back to more nominal levels.  Chelsea owe £600/700 Million, Liverpool and Manu aren't far behind, City no doubt have big debts as that the 2nd takeover and the 1st was funded with debt add to that the £100 Million already spend and massive wages being offered to attract players.  Its a situation that cannot continue for the sake of the clubs themselves there has been more than mutterings about making the finance of clubs a provision of being in the league.  Look at Portsmouth how much they spent which was never sustainable and made a big profit on transfers and still nearly went into adminastration. 

For me I would like to see my club being able to compete, to watch the best players play decent football that the club can afford without putting it at risk.  The problem with a lot of clubs fans are desperate to avoid relegation because they are simply not sure whether their club will survive or not and they go in spite of knowing that the club having little or no chance of ever winning anything.

1]; } ?>