March 29, 2024, 12:23:46 AM

Author Topic: Warner adds voice to call for salary cap  (Read 887 times)

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Warner adds voice to call for salary cap
« on: October 12, 2009, 12:24:34 PM »
This has been a topic of past discussion, but JW brought it up again.  So what does the forum think about his proposals?

http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.aspx?id=4982

10/8/2009 - LONDON – FIFA Vice President and CONCACAF President Jack Warner added his voice to those calling for a salary cap in club soccer and a requirement that teams field players from their native country, noting that emergence of the European “mega clubs” have left others behind.

Speaking Wednesday at the Chelsea Football Club  for the second annual Leaders in Football conference – a gathering of about 1,000 soccer executives and officials – Warner noted the influx of wealthy owners such as Roman Abramovich at Chelsea, Malcom Glazer at Manchester United and Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan at Manchester City in Europe, and especially England, has created excitement, but also concerns.

As one of 14 featured speakers at the conference, which also included the likes of English Premier League chairman David Richards, EA Sports President Peter Moore, Spanish Football Association President Angel Maria Villa Llona, Warner said the salary cap – mainly in European soccer -- had become a necessity.

“This is necessary because poorer clubs will never, ever be able to compete with high spending ones,” he said. “I wish to argue that salary caps will allow clubs a more equal access to good players and will level the playing field when it comes to the opportunity to win.”

Without mandating a specific requirement, Warner also sought a quota system of local players, referencing FIFA President Sepp Blatter’s “six plus five” proposal which would require club teams to field at least six players eligible for their country’s national team.

“Ethics require a number of local players being selected and fielded for each club,” Warner said.  “Clubs must come to the table and for the good of football agree to a plan.  Am I hearing six plus five? Seven plus four? Eight plus three or the reverse?”

Warner also proposed a no-play moratorium, saying that for as little as six weeks and possibly as much as eight weeks, no professional soccer be played – either at the club or national team level.

“None. Anywhere, for any reason,” he said “This will allow players to recover and to give some breathing space from the pressures of club versus country, if only for a short while.

“I know that many of these ideas are not new and they will meet much resistance from clubs across Europe today and tomorrow as they did yesterday but the truth is while I understand the implications both legal and social of some of the suggestions I have raised, I am of the view that we must sit and talk to ensure that football is the winner not only for the now but also for the future.”

See full text of his speech: http://www.concacaf.com/images/pdf/10_08speech.pdf
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: Warner adds voice to call for salary cap
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 04:12:32 PM »
Warner is fully qualified to make this speech afterall he has experience with capping the T&T players World Cup salaries plus Joe Public players doh get big wages and won't dare ask for more or they out the door!!  :devil:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Re: Warner adds voice to call for salary cap
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 04:24:48 PM »
FIFA and Warner full of shit! FIFA made the same statement many years ago and then turned around and added the World Club Championships to the football Calender, Hypocritics.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

1]; } ?>