5 (10%)
Portugal
0 (0%)
United States
2 (4%)
Other
2 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Thread for the 2010 FIFA World Cup.  (Read 13767 times)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Ghana to offer Balotelli World Cup place
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2009, 12:26:59 PM »
Freddy was stupid, he should have played for them cause no way he going to the WC.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2009, 12:28:52 PM »
Freddy was stupid, he should have played for them cause no way he going to the WC.
He ent good enough to make Ghana side either. They just win the U20 world cup.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2009, 12:30:52 PM »
England
The Netherlands
France
Germany
Ghana
Côte d'Ivoire

...the rest could haul they ass, including the US... whose fans are getting a bit too big for their britches.

So Bakes you really don't think the USA could get it done?

They were hard luck against Germany in Korea?
Beat the Euro Champs soundly
Had Brazil Working extra time to beat them in the finals
Cruise through their qualification for WC.

What more do they have to do?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline jusbless

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2009, 12:38:10 PM »
Kevin Prince- Boateng (Portsmouth) has indicated his willindness to play with Ghana , to bolster an already impressive midfield

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2009, 12:48:28 PM »
I hope Balotelli make the right choice.

It eh my place to determine what that might be....buh plain talk bad manners.....if I did get de kinda abuse and  treatment he did get..i was telling italy hol dey mudders condensed milk.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2009, 12:54:43 PM »
U.S. Close to World Cup Seed, Faces Tough Draw on Friday

Posted Dec 02, 2009 11:00AM By Brian Straus (soccer.fanhouse.com)

FIFA's World Cup organizing committee met Wednesday in some smoke-filled room in Cape Town and, in between bites of caviar and peeled grapes and just after confirming the delivery of a lifetime supply of Coca-Cola products to Jack Warner's compound in Trinidad, announced the procedures and seeding for Friday's World Cup draw (Noon, ESPN2).

The decision to base the eight top seeds (including the host) on FIFA's monthly soda-sponsored national team rankings, ignoring past World Cup performance, means the U.S. came tantalizingly close to landing in the first pot -- closer than any of us may have expected when seeding was mentioned as a motivation following October's draw with Costa Rica. If FIFA and Coke want to promote their ranking, all the better for the Americans, who probably always will be higher than they deserve. But the pots announced Wednesday were anything but a favor. The road to next summer's second round will be treacherous.
More Coverage: Final Seeds Revealed for Draw

Leave it to soccer's godfathers to unveil their seeding criteria just two days before the draw. It's reminiscent of the late decision to seed the four European playoffs after the qualifying tournament's group stages were completed, a move that angered countries like Ireland and Slovenia who perhaps correctly claimed that organizers were looking out for high-profile teams like France and Portugal and protecting their financial interests.

They also opted Wednesday to shelve the prospect of using extra officials behind the goal lines to spot infractions in the penalty area. That would have been progress, and we all know how FIFA feels about that.

Back to the draw: Had Sunil Gulati and Bob Bradley known it would come down to the rankings, it may have prompted them to take a more experienced team to last summer's CONCACAF Gold Cup, or perhaps schedule a couple of extra friendlies against Aruba. If Friday's draw was conducted like those in the recent past, which used a formula combining a team's ranking with past World Cup performances, there would have been little chance for the Americans to make the top eight.

Instead, it was quite close. FIFA used the October ranking rather than the November, for reasons that are unclear. An odd choice, because the qualifying competition extended into November (but so did a lot of half-hearted friendlies). Brazil, Spain, Netherlands, Italy, Germany, Argentina and England are the lucky seven. The eighth-ranked team, Croatia, failed to qualify. Teams nine and 10 are France and Portugal, respectively. Both teams needed last month's playoff round to reach South Africa. Had the Portuguese choked against Bosnia and Herzegovina and if referee Martin Hansson knew how to do his job, the U.S. is in with the big boys. In addition, Portugal leapfrogged the U.S. last month. In the end, the U.S. may have been just one more qualifying or Gold Cup win away from a seed.

Instead, they face a gauntlet. Warner apparently was unable to use his considerable influence to steer the placement of CONCACAF sides into a more favorable pot. The U.S., Mexico and Honduras will be grouped with the four Asian qualifiers and New Zealand, all teams that the Americans would be favored to beat in South Africa. The eight unseeded European teams will be together, as well the five other African teams and three South American sides. After their 2006 Group of Death, the U.S. will hope that fortune smiles on them this time around, but the odds of a landing in a difficult foursome are good.

Group of Death option 1: Brazil, Portugal, Ivory Coast, USA
Group of Death option 2: Spain, Serbia, Ghana, USA
Group of Death option 3: Germany, France, Paraguay, USA
Group of Death option 4: Argentina, Denmark, Nigeria, USA

And so on. Not appetizing.

However, the following also could happen:

We're headed to the second round option 1: South Africa, Slovenia, Uruguay, USA
We're headed to the second round option 2: England, Greece, Algeria, USA

So much depends on what names come out of what pots on Friday. The extent to which a team's World Cup fate is determined by fashion models and plastic balls is hugely significant.

One interesting non-U.S. note: Had FIFA decided to use the November ranking (in which the U.S. slipped to 14th) instead of October's, France would have been seeded. Perhaps there was some unintentional justice for a team that cheated its way into the finals.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 01:04:15 PM »

It eh my place to determine what that might be....buh plain talk bad manners.....if I did get de kinda abuse and  treatment he did get..i was telling italy hol dey mudders condensed milk.

agree 100%. why play for a country where the people hate you b/c of yuh race.

IMHO, balotelli shoulda be capped by italy long time now at the senior level but they just eh want to cap a black man who could command a place in the starting lineup on a regular basis...they only do it with liverani to look good in the media.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2009, 01:04:24 PM »

That makes two of us!!

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2009, 01:11:31 PM »

IMHO, balotelli shoulda be capped by italy long time now at the senior level but they just eh want to cap a black man who could command a place in the starting lineup on a regular basis...they only do it with liverani to look good in the media.

Balotelli has rejected Ghana many times already, no doubt he will do it again.

But I never really understand what the hype is about the man...to me he is nothing special....and I watch Inter play all d time...Italy have far better strikers than him.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2009, 01:32:09 PM »
England
The Netherlands
France
Germany
Ghana
Côte d'Ivoire

...the rest could haul they ass, including the US... whose fans are getting a bit too big for their britches.

Win the World Cup....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2009, 01:34:15 PM »

Balotelli has rejected Ghana many times already, no doubt he will do it again.

But I never really understand what the hype is about the man...to me he is nothing special....and I watch Inter play all d time...Italy have far better strikers than him.

He's good especially considering he's still a teenager. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2009, 01:37:17 PM »
the man is good, still a lil unpolished but good...the man does take free kicks and corner kicks regular...that reall impressive considering the kinda talent on that squad.
i is a kinda militant so i say he should play for the black stars oui, they need good strikers to finish the chances (i remember last world cup asamoah gyan reall trow way)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2009, 01:38:53 PM »
.....if I did get de kinda abuse and  treatment he did get..i was telling italy hol dey mudders condensed milk.

That's just letting the bad guy win.  

Martin Luther King & Nelson Mandela probably had advisors telling them the same thing...good thing they didn't listen.

Racism & abuse will not change if it continues to drive people away...

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2009, 01:53:15 PM »
.....if I did get de kinda abuse and  treatment he did get..i was telling italy hol dey mudders condensed milk.

Martin Luther King & Nelson Mandela probably had advisors telling them the same thing...good thing they didn't listen.

but balotelli doh strike me as no revolutionary.. saddest does remind me of 50 cent on a football field with all that unnecessary attitude.

if he do go and play for ghana though, he might as well go and play in la liga or the EPL.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »

I feel the biggest HYMC he could do is play for Italy.
What the ultras will do then, boo their own team?

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2009, 02:00:33 PM »
So we postin all things related to de World Cup including match opinions etc on dis one thread?

Mods should make a WC sub-section, but I they have shown real resistance to adding any more sub-forums so we go see.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2009, 02:27:39 PM »
Balotelli is one of the best young players in the game presently.

If he smart, he will play for Italy.  More to gain professionally for his career.

Trini people does boo Stern John and he is we best ever striker so abuse from yuh "home crowd" is someting footballers does deal wit all de time.  Daz de least of he worries.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2009, 02:28:17 PM »

but balotelli doh strike me as no revolutionary.. saddest does remind me of 50 cent on a football field with all that unnecessary attitude.

if he do go and play for ghana though, he might as well go and play in la liga or the EPL.
He has problems , much too to ignorant for my liking. But the abuse he gets has more to do with is skin colour than his conduct. You right about the league situation too.

I don't think he speaks any English. He was born and raised in Italy. It would real hard for him to just fit into that Ghana side.

Offline Bamboo Prince

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2009, 02:44:57 PM »
if is Italy de man wah play for, i say let him fight he fight yes! 

next ting he reach in ghana, cyah fit een, men say he movin like a prima donna, he a speaka no eengleeesh, he pop dong in de world cup, dash way he career in Serie A and cyah go nowhey...

Let de man fight he fight. At home in italy.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2009, 03:05:44 PM »

He eh bong to be a revolutionary...just an ordinary man doing his part, keeping his eyes on the prize and trying to live his dream.  Right now it looks like his dream is to play for the Italian senior squad, until that changes he might as well continue to fight for it, and not let racism & abuse win without an honest fight. 

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2009, 03:42:05 PM »

I only listed who my favorites were, wasn't expressing an opinion on team's chances.  Aside from that... the US hardly has the same talent pool or consistency as other legitimate title contenders, so projecting future finish based on past performance is a fool's game where the US is concerned, in my opinion.  Remember, this is the same team that beat Spain and played Brazil close in South Africa this past July... then shit down theyself against Mexico in what was it.. Gold Cup?

Tactically they are a one-trick pony reliant on speed up front and solid defense in the back.  Their best defender, if fit, would be coming off major reconstructive surgery to his left knee.  One of their most potent recent strikers (Davies) is likely to miss the tournament, and none of his potential replacements (Ching, Casey, Cunningham) could tie his shoe strings... Altidore possibly will be a good substitute, and Findley has promise.

Torres can't get off the bench in midfield and Beckerman, Bradley, Rogers, Dempsey et al are decent middling players, and decidedly not world beaters.

Do I fancy their chances?  No.

Offline Lightning

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2009, 04:03:09 PM »
CONTROVERSIAL COW SACRIFICE PLAN FOR WORLD CUP

Some people will do anything to get the EDR/Behind the Bridge boys and dem a sweat eh??? ;)
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2009, 04:30:30 PM »
Do I fancy their chances?  No.

In a nutshell...

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2009, 05:30:38 PM »
Regardless of the outcome, dahis the way a nat'l team coach should move ... And, doh sleep, Appiah eh no slouch. His presence at the meeting(s) will be more than flattering.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
Who's afraid of the Group of Death?

One of the enduring attractions of the Final Draw for the FIFA World Cup™ finals comes when more big-name contenders are placed in a group than there are places in the knockout rounds. Past draws have almost always thrown up at least one section brimming with pre-tournament favourites, and when the dust settles on the first phase, one or two of them invariably find themselves packing for home.

With characteristic hyperbole, the media will no doubt roll out the term 'Group of Death' again on Friday evening after the Final Draw for the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa takes place in Cape Town at 7pm local time.

Fate shared by legends

Many past legends of the game have found themselves confronted with unexpectedly demanding challenges in the first phase of a FIFA World Cup finals. When Pele headed for Sweden in 1958 at the tender age of just 17, making his first memorable appearance on the global stage, Brazil only just scraped through a group that included the powerful Soviets spearheaded by captain Lev Yashin, and an England team boasting the likes of Billy Wright and Tom Finney. The English were the fall guys on that occasion, as Pele went on to strike six goals as he and his fellow countrymen claimed the trophy.

Exactly 20 years later, a truly world-class star of the next generation enjoyed a much less successful debut. At the 1978 finals in Argentina, Michel Platini’s France were drawn in a section with the hosts, Hungary and Italy. The French ultimately succeeded only in taking points off the Hungarians, as even the budding talent of Platini was unable to prevent the men in blue becoming victims of a classic 'Group of Death'. There was a minor personal consolation for the gifted midfielder in that he scored against the Argentinians, deflecting a good portion of the flak aimed at the side by a critical domestic media.

"We’ll just have to go out and play the difficult games," former Italy national coach Roberto Donadoni declared after a challenging group stage draw for the UEFA EURO 2008 finals. Bowing to the inevitable, he was merely borrowing the philosophy adopted by a number of past coaching colleagues, especially at the 1990 FIFA World Cup in Donadoni’s home nation.

England, Ireland and the Netherlands all clawed their way out of Group F that year. Holders Argentina fell to a shock 1-0 defeat to Cameroon in the opening match, but also scrambled through Group B, behind the Indomitable Lions and Romania. Not only that, Maradona and Co ended up runners-up in the tournament, showing that it is possible to recover from a poor start and still make an impression.

Argentina denied rub of the green

Looking back over FIFA World Cup history, La Albiceleste have been involved in several of the toughest group battles. Of the ten sections which are generally accepted as the most difficult over the last 50 years, Argentina have featured on no less than five occasions. They were certainly out of luck at the two most recent Final Draws. In Korea and Japan in 2002, Argentina failed to survive a section also including England, Nigeria and Sweden, though they did fare better four years later in Germany, where they progressed alongside the Netherlands at the expense of Côte d’Ivoire and Serbia and Montenegro.

Argentina, in 1978, and Brazil, in 1958 and 1970, are the only nations to have emerged from a 'Group of Death' and gone on to win the trophy. While starting strongly is probably a more important factor than just getting though a tough first phase, it could be argued that a challenging group stage draw is a good thing, as success in the section can be a real confidence-booster, and also sends out a clear message of intent to any would-be rivals.

The relative merits of the various potential groups will always be one of the key talking points in the build-up to the Final Draw for the FIFA World Cup. And when the eight groups have been decided on Friday evening, a well-worn phrase is almost certain to be used again.

FIFA.COM
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2009, 04:47:54 AM »

Nonsense.

The race abuse problems have come from various moronic supporters groups at the club level, not with the national team.

It's stupid to complain that he hasn't been capped at the senior level yet. He's still only a teenager and he has loads of competition at his position. His indiscipline problems and attitude issues haven't helped his case either. Mourinho has omitted him from games because of these issues several times now, the most recent one being just last week:
http://www.football-italia.net/nov29l.html

And Liverani's small amount of caps can be put down to the emergence of Andrea Pirlo -- not the color of his skin.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2009, 07:21:55 AM »

Nonsense.

The race abuse problems have come from various moronic supporters groups at the club level, not with the national team.

It's stupid to complain that he hasn't been capped at the senior level yet. He's still only a teenager and he has loads of competition at his position. His indiscipline problems and attitude issues haven't helped his case either. Mourinho has omitted him from games because of these issues several times now, the most recent one being just last week:
http://www.football-italia.net/nov29l.html

And Liverani's small amount of caps can be put down to the emergence of Andrea Pirlo -- not the color of his skin.

bullshit... none of that explains the failure to at least toss one perfunctory cap at Balotelli, if for no other reason than to secure his services later on as he matures... since you insist he's still too young.  Findley was capped nearly two years ago then cast aside... seemingly because the USSF realized there was competition for his services.  Now it seems like a masterstroke in hindsight given his form and injuries at the position.  Imagine Bradley even had rank shitsnakes like Kenny Cooper and Conor Casey ahead of him just within the past year.

The "competition" talk is nonsense,since no one is saying he should be in the starting XI.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2009, 07:38:32 AM »
Stephen Appiah Urges Inter Ace Mario Balotelli To Answer Ghana Call

The midfielder believes ‘Super Mario’ is mature enough to help the Black Stars’ cause at the World Cup.

Bologna midfielder Stephen Appiah has admitted Ghana coach Milovan Rajevac’s plans to include Inter striker Mario Balotelli in his World Cup squad took him by surprise, but he fully endorses the move.

“I am very much in favour of it,” the Black Stars captain told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“Although I do have to say that I don’t know anything about this. And I am not aware that our manager Rajevac is set to travel to Bologna to speak about it with me nor that I am supposed to take him to Milan to persuade Mario.

“I have come to know about it in the press and I have no basis to confirm the news.”

Balotelli was born in Italy to Ghanaian parents and the 19-year-old is currently representing the Azzurri at Under-21 level.

“Ghana are already strong, but they would be even more with Mario,” continued Appiah.

“We want to do well in South Africa and why should we throw away the chance to have a player like Balotelli with us?

“We would be happy if Balotelli came in to give us a hand. He has already proved his worth around Europe and has developed an important experience despite his young age.”

http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2009/12/03/1662781/stephen-appiah-urges-inter-ace-mario-balotelli-to-answer

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2009, 08:32:57 AM »

bullshit... none of that explains the failure to at least toss one perfunctory cap at Balotelli, if for no other reason than to secure his services later on as he matures... since you insist he's still too young.  Findley was capped nearly two years ago then cast aside... seemingly because the USSF realized there was competition for his services.  Now it seems like a masterstroke in hindsight given his form and injuries at the position.  Imagine Bradley even had rank shitsnakes like Kenny Cooper and Conor Casey ahead of him just within the past year.

The "competition" talk is nonsense,since no one is saying he should be in the starting XI.

Since for some reason you chose to ignore the part in my post where I addressed his well-known discipline problems, let me highlight them again and provide a bit more info:

Last week
Last January

Cleary Italy doesn't feel the sense of urgency regarding the securing of his services that you feel that they should. Marcello Lippi tends to go with experienced players, perhaps even to a fault, since his team is commonly criticized for being "too old". But that's the way he operates, so it's no surprise the he's going to hold off on a teenager who has maturity issues to boot.

I'm still not sure how Findley relates to the Balotelli question, but you can expect him to be getting more U.S. appearances in the runup to next summer. He has a good shot at making the final squad, too. He's not competing with Cooper and Casey either, since he plays a different role in the attack.

BTW - both Cooper and Casey have better goalscoring rates in MLS than Findley does.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2009, 08:48:09 AM »
Hadda talk bout my side.

In the Italian national setup, the list of forwards who are competing for a spot off the top of my head are:

- Toni
- Iaquinta
- Gilardino
- Quagliarella
- Di Natale
- Del Piero
- Pazzini
- Cassano

Not one of these forwards by any means do anything yet to own a spot on the team so the search is still the striker search in still alive and well. In this regard, there are 3 forwards who merit serious consideration but need to be capped for Italy to be in the pool:

- Rossi
- Amauri
- Balotelli

So far, the Rossi deal is done. They trying hard with Amauri but I don't think he has decided on either Italy or Brazil as yet (i could be mistaken though, this may be a done deal and I missed it).

The last man standing is Balotelli. When you have a prodigous talent like that at his age, the very least you have to do is give him a hurry cap against a Luxembourg or something. I real surprised this hasn't happened yet.

1]; } ?>