March 28, 2024, 07:04:30 AM

Author Topic: Baseball in TnT @ QP Savannah?  (Read 3783 times)

Offline socachynee

• Sr. Warrior
  • goals win games
    • View Profile
Baseball in TnT @ QP Savannah?
« on: December 10, 2009, 09:28:27 AM »
Anyone knows if they are still playing and teaching baseball in the Queens Park Savannah?

I recalled they were working on opening a baseball diamond in Central Trinidad.

We use to coach the kidson the game, Michael who use to play football in Canada ran the program.
There was another Michael who use to come by, with Yankee fan and another person from St James.

The kids enter tournaments in Venezuela
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 10:07:59 AM by socachynee »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Baseball in TnT @ QP Savannah?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 09:15:31 AM »
They should be teaching it... so many Venezuelans making millions in MLB.  Even Arubans doing it and every year the kids from "The Netherland Antilles" does light up Little League.  We done getting ah headstart on good hand-eye coordination from cricket.

Offline socachynee

• Sr. Warrior
  • goals win games
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 09:10:14 AM »
found this in the Guardian Editorial
http://www.guardian.co.tt/letters/2012-12-31/baseball-savannah
So Michael is non other than "Mr Michael Protector Legerton"
http://www.ibaf.org/en/nation/0d4bb3b0-ca6f-4ddb-a8a2-6b5d50aea166
The Baseball/Softball Association of Trinidad and Tobago.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Trinidad_and_Tobago_national_baseball_team

Here is the site http://www.eteamz.com/nationalbaseballtrinidadandtobago/ not much updates.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 09:24:14 AM »
Not going to catch on. Cricket is king.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline socachynee

• Sr. Warrior
  • goals win games
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 09:48:09 AM »
now with the money in the IPL

you never know there maybe another Jose Reyes in Trinidad

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 05:53:34 PM »
Was played in Jamaica I think even more so - I saw plenty of references to games going through the old Gleaner archives.

But it goes back a ways in Trinidad, too.

Here is a reference to baseball outside the old Queen's Park Hotel in 1904

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 09:16:25 PM »
They should be teaching it... so many Venezuelans making millions in MLB.  Even Arubans doing it and every year the kids from "The Netherland Antilles" does light up Little League.  We done getting ah headstart on good hand-eye coordination from cricket.

Prescient comment. There is an article, in Friday's New York Times, about Kieran Powell's quest to become a baseball pro.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 01:49:40 PM »
Cricket Star Kieran Powell Tosses His Bat and Picks Up a Smaller, Rounder One
By David Waldstein, The New York Times

Kieran Powell has had an enviable life as a professional cricket player. He has traveled the world playing a challenging game in balmy weather, while earning a lot of recognition and good money.

But Powell, a star batsman who has played internationally for the West Indies, has chucked that all aside, for now at least, in a long-shot gamble to become a professional baseball player.

A year ago, Powell did not even own a baseball glove and had never played in an organized game. But last summer, fueled by a dream, he bought his first glove, at a California sporting goods store, and began a baseball immersion program that he hopes will vault him into the big leagues, doing something no other professional cricketer has apparently ever done.

His progress, while incomplete, bears watching.

On Saturday, Powell, 25, participated in a tryout at the Mets’ spring training complex in Port St. Lucie, Fla., his second workout for the club. He has also worked out for the Milwaukee Brewers.

On Wednesday, scouts from about 15 teams attended a showcase workout in Bradenton, Fla., to see if his athletic abilities might translate to a baseball diamond.

“I just need the opportunity to show what I can do,” he said in a telephone interview on Monday, “and I’m pretty sure that I will progress through the ranks pretty quickly.”

Others have flirted with the idea of making the crossover from cricket to top-flight baseball, or at least wondered about it. Ed Smith, a right-handed batsman from England, worked out at the Mets’ spring training camp in 2001. He also wrote a book, “Playing Hard Ball,” that compared the two sports.

Ian Pont, a fast bowler also from England, actually had tryouts with several teams in the late 1980s, including the Philadelphia Phillies.

And two pitchers from cricket-loving India — Dinesh Patel and Rinku Singh — were signed to minor league deals by the Pittsburgh Pirates in 2009, and their story was depicted in the film “Million Dollar Arm.” But they were not professional cricketers, and Patel is no longer in organized baseball. Singh is, but he has not come anywhere near the major leagues.

According to research done at the Baseball Hall of Fame, no known professional cricket player has successfully made it to baseball’s top level.

Powell yearns to be the exception, and he has impressed baseball professionals like Ryan Jackson, the Cincinnati Reds’ hitting coordinator, who says he has a chance.

Jackson is one of several coaches to have worked with Powell during the player’s six-month quest to sign with a baseball team, and he said in an email this week that Powell “has made tremendous strides in a short period of time.” He added that the 6-foot-2, 190-pound Powell profiled as a potential center fielder and leadoff hitter with a swing that could produce gap-to-gap line drives.

Another of Powell’s recent coaches, who asked not to be identified because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the player, said he had a decent arm and excellent speed. He agreed with Jackson that Powell had made rapid progress in only a few months, suggesting greater potential.

But converting a cricket swing to baseball is no easy task, especially at age 25. During a cricket swing, the bat is swung vertically, going from low to high as the batsman tries to hit a bowled ball in any direction. In baseball, the hands start higher (at or above the shoulders) and move downward. The baseball bat is smaller, which could make it more difficult for cricket batsmen familiar with the broad, flat side of the cricket bat.

Still, the hand-eye coordination is essentially the same.

As for catching baseballs in the outfield with a padded glove instead of bare hands, Powell is in favor of that.

“We use gloves in cricket warming up,” he said, “but when I started using the glove regularly, I was like, ‘Wow, baseball definitely got this part right.’ ”

The son of a West Indies cricket official, Powell grew up in Nevis, one of the islands that forms the federation of St. Kitts and Nevis. He became a top prospect as a teenager, playing for the Leeward Islands’ under-15 and under-19 teams, and later for the West Indies team as a left-handed opening batsman.

He played in Sri Lanka’s domestic league for Tamil Union and ventured around the globe in international cricket matches against stars like India’s Sachin Tendulkar.

But after a public spat with the West Indies cricket federation over an excused absence from a 2014 test match against New Zealand, Powell stepped away from international cricket and has not returned. That dispute, he said, was not the impetus to pursue the American pastime. Rather, he said, he relished the challenge of pursuing cricket’s diamond-shaped American cousin.

“I never knew,” he said. “Having played baseball for a bit now, I wished that I had played it when I was younger.”

Over the past few months, Powell has made up for lost time by binge-watching baseball. He sometimes catches two to three games a day on television along with watching videos of specific players and situations: Juan Pierre and Dee Gordon bunting, for example.

“I’ve watched a ridiculous amount of baseball,” he said. “I’ve been watching baseball nonstop.”

And when he was not viewing it over the last several months, he was playing it.

His first foray into the sport came last summer when he was invited to work out in California with former major league players and coaches. He kept it quiet in the cricket world because, he said, he first wanted to make sure it was a plausible venture.

The early feedback was positive, so he went to the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., to work with its staff. He said he showed up at 8 a.m. and worked until 4 p.m., then drove to Sarasota, Fla., for extra work with Jack Voigt, the Mets’ hitting instructor at Class AAA Las Vegas.

On the last day of 2015, Powell went public, issuing a statement of his intentions. He was ready to show the world how a cricketer could finally transform into a baseballer.

“I look like a baseball player now,” he said, “instead of just a rough-cut diamond that needs a whole lot of polishing.”

Powell does not lack confidence. According to an official with one team that attended the Wednesday showcase, he was asking for a signing bonus close to $1 million — the general equivalent of a low second-round draft pick.

Powell says some cricket players earn more money than baseball players, depending on the player and the league. He knows that, for a while at least, he would have to ride buses on the minor league circuit.

“It’s definitely not about the money,” he said. “It’s about the opportunity to do something different, and to do something big with it.”

While the Mets have watched Powell, he has not yet grabbed the attention of their top brass. The Yankees are not in hot pursuit, one official said.

A scout who saw him Wednesday said he needed a lot of work, especially defensively.

But some team may well take a chance that the latest baseball adventure by a cricketer — this one very athletic and young — could produce that rare uncut gem.

“I’m not expecting to walk in and be the star,” he said. “I know I have to put in my work. But I also know my capabilities, and I know that I am capable of doing this.”

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 03:00:22 PM »
whey Madness? 
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 09:46:35 AM »
I remember Pollard lighing up a baseball diamond a few years ago in cuba I think .They wanted to sig him right off the bat , home run after home run , he said no .He could made 40 million by now , instead off 750000 per season.

1]; } ?>