March 28, 2024, 02:29:07 PM

Author Topic: Essien out World Cup!  (Read 2078 times)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Essien out World Cup!
« on: May 27, 2010, 10:19:51 AM »

Ghana's Michael Essien is ruled out of the World Cup

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8709466.stm

Ghana's Michael Essien has been ruled out of the World Cup, according to the country's football association (GFA).

The Chelsea midfielder has been struggling with injury and has been told he will not fully recover until the end of July.

The GFA said that the decision was taken after a joint evaluation of his fitness by them and his club.

His last competitive match was for Ghana during the Africa Cup of Nations earlier this year.

He took part in the early stages of that tournament despite not being fully fit, having torn a hamstring in December.

He then injured his knee and has not played for either Ghana or Chelsea since.

Essien has been keen to play down speculation about his chances of making the World Cup.

"If I make it for the World Cup then great - if not I have my whole career ahead of me," he told Chelsea's official website in April.

"The last thing I want is to rush back and cause more problems down the line."

Ghana coach Milovan Rajevac has been publicly optimistic but has also insisted that the squad can still succeed without Essien.

"There are other young and hungry players who will be equally passionate to play," he said recently.

Ghana are in Group D at the World Cup, along with Germany, Australia and Serbia.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Essien out World Cup!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 10:30:16 AM »
very sad. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 11:35:05 AM »
Whhhaaaaattt???!!!.....Nooooooo!!!!....

He must be real sad boy......not being able to play in the greatest competition on his home continent..... :'( :'(
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 01:55:45 PM »
Michael Essien ruled out of World Cup
Soccernet staff

Ghana's World Cup preparations have suffered a huge setback with the news that a knee injury will prevent Chelsea star Michael Essien from playing in the finals in South Africa.

Essien sustained the injury during Ghana's African Nations Cup campaign in January and missed the remainder of the Premier League season as a result.

Ghana manager Milovan Rajevac said only on Wednesday he was "confident" Essien would play some part in the World Cup, but the nation's FA has confirmed the midfielder will not recover in time for the tournament.

A statement from the Ghana Football Association read: "An evaluation by a combined team of medical experts from the Ghana Football Association and Chelsea Football Club revealed that Essien will not make full recovery until the end of July.

"The Ghana Football Association wishes him full recovery and a quick return to football action."

Essien has started only 23 Premier League games for Chelsea in the past two seasons as he has been dogged by injury.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline nutmegthruyuhleg

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
    • World Cup 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 04:40:51 PM »
That really sucks. Once in a lifetime thing.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 05:49:17 PM »
Damn!!!
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

giggsy11

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 09:13:57 PM »
Great player, only Chelski player I would love to have on United. Hope he is able to enjoy a great career that is not cut short by injuries.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Essien misses World Cup
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 12:14:46 AM »
Ghana midfielder Michael Essien has been ruled out of the World Cup finals after failing to recover from a knee injury.
.."An evaluation by a combined team of medical experts from the Ghana Football Association and Chelsea Football Club revealed that Essien will not make a full recovery until the end of July," Ghana's FA said in a statement.

The Chelsea midfielder has been recovering from a knee injury picked up at the African Nations Cup in January. He played just 45 minutes at the tournament in Angola after suffering a hamstring injury in the Champions League in November.

His loss is a blow to Ghana whose coach Milovan Rajevac last week described Essien as the leader and engine room of his team.

Rajevac is due to decide on his final 23-man squad on Tuesday.

Ghana open their World Cup campaign against Serbia on June 13 and also play Germany and Australia in Group D.

Essien is hugely popular in Ghana and his image is pasted up all over the country.

He has scored seven times in 50 appearances for his country and played at the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

Essien hinted several weeks ago he might not be fit for the tournament in South Africa, which kicks off on June 11.

"The last thing I want is to rush back and cause more problems down the line. If I make it for the World Cup then great - if not, I have my whole career ahead of me," he told the Chelsea website.

Ghana are still unsure of the fitness of two other key players, Stephen Appiah and John Mensah.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Essien misses World Cup
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 03:38:38 AM »
shucks  :(
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 03:46:11 AM »
Hope he is able to come back strong next season.

I'm suprised he hasn't recovered...during the title celebrations after the Wigan game he was joggin around while giving Obi Mikel a piggyback lol.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 07:54:00 AM »
Hope he is able to come back strong next season.

I'm suprised he hasn't recovered...during the title celebrations after the Wigan game he was joggin around while giving Obi Mikel a piggyback lol.

Da piggyback probably jumbie de scene....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

1]; } ?>