March 28, 2024, 01:22:11 PM

Author Topic: Like other wc tournaments 2010 world cup will not end without controversy  (Read 32379 times)

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
All ruud guulit and roberto martinez earning their u$ and going on to no end about the ref.....and how he from Mali....like if he is from a country that precludes him from being qualified enough to officiate a WC game. (or, to be cynical, as if there is some connection to his country and the us that he would want to rob them of a WC victory......Must be have plenty Al-Qaeda in Mali then.) BIG, LOUD, FACKING STEUPS! 

EVERY TIME there's a corner or free kick being played into the box, there's jostling and tugging and pulling that ca be called against either team and the referee thought he saw something that could be called against the us....I could respect the americans (lalas, harkes and tommy smyth) if they could at least say that! but NO, it's as if this referee orchestrated the attack on 911 after one of his forefathers orchestrated the attack on pearl harbour!

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

giggsy11

All ruud guulit and roberto martinez earning their u$ and going on to no end about the ref.....and how he from Mali....like if he is from a country that precludes him from being qualified enough to officiate a WC game. (or, to be cynical, as if there is some connection to his country and the us that he would want to rob them of a WC victory......Must be have plenty Al-Qaeda in Mali then.) BIG, LOUD, FACKING STEUPS! 

EVERY TIME there's a corner or free kick being played into the box, there's jostling and tugging and pulling that ca be called against either team and the referee thought he saw something that could be called against the us....I could respect the americans (lalas, harkes and tommy smyth) if they could at least say that! but NO, it's as if this referee orchestrated the attack on 911 after one of his forefathers orchestrated the attack on pearl harbour!

It have any US officials in this tournament? All dem imports dos do a disservice to the game when they get on American tv spouting shite because dey tryin tuh cowtow tuh American audiences. Dey dos dummy it down a little to much!

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Here's an interestin take on the call. It appears as if the NY Times columnist is defending the Malian referee (or it could be a sort of satirical piece).

What do you guys think?

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/19/in-defense-of-koman-coulibaly-sort-of/?ref=sports

giggsy11

Here's an interestin take on the call. It appears as if the NY Times columnist is defending the Malian referee (or it could be a sort of satirical piece).

What do you guys think?

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/19/in-defense-of-koman-coulibaly-sort-of/?ref=sports

I think he was tryin tuh make a case for why the ref could have made the call. Shite happens!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Yes, the referee saw a foul, one of many
SIMON HAYDON THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: June 19, 2010
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/professional/professional_soccer/article/WCUP19S_20100618-223009/352134/

JOHANNESBURG -- Modern soccer has turned the penalty area into a wrestling ring, and that's what cost the United States victory in its World Cup match against Slovenia yesterday.

Maurice Edu committed no foul as he scored from just more than 6 yards out.

However, just about every other player in the penalty area was holding, grabbing, pulling or pushing as the U.S. free kick descended into the 18-yard zone.

Referee Koman Coulibaly of Mali saw one of several fouls. Unluckily for the U.S., he saw the only one committed by an American, defender Carlos Bocanegra.

Bocanegra had his arms around Slovenia substitute Jejc Pecnik and was preventing him from jumping for the ball.

Coulibaly was ideally placed to see the foul he called. He was 10 yards from Edu as the striker hit the ball home, but the Bocanegra-Pecnik grappling took place just a yard away, in the referee's direct line of sight.
The 39-year-old referee, who has been officiating in tough African competitions for 17 years and called the final of the African Cup of Nations between Ghana and Egypt earlier this year, didn't hesitate to do his job.

But he couldn't see everything in the penalty area. So Coulibaly missed two American players being held and grabbed in different parts of the penalty area by Slovenian players.

Unjust? Certainly, but who's to blame? The referee or the players?

Referees are under orders from FIFA, the sport's governing body, to clamp down on the plague of fouls in the penalty area. But most referees are unwilling to penalize the defending team, preferring to reject goals rather than award them.

This is what Coulibaly did yesterday and it cost the United States a victory that would have lifted the Americans to the threshold of participation in the next round.

Instead, the U.S. must now play a high-stakes game Wednesday against Algeria.

The referee's job is impossible in these situations. FIFA has rejected the use of video technology, preferring to try to maintain the spontaneous nature of soccer and, in the process, inherently rejecting U.S. sports such as football and, to a lesser extent, baseball, that have incorporated replay into their games.

The only concession FIFA has made is to allow the use of two extra assistants to help the referee police the penalty area in some European competitions.

Who knows if they would have helped Coulibaly reach his decision yesterday in Johannesburg?

Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This should be the soundtrack of this thread...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9m0smgVgbwM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9m0smgVgbwM</a>
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This should be the soundtrack of this thread...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9m0smgVgbwM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/9m0smgVgbwM</a>

:rotfl:

Nice clip.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dempsey getting away with a blatant elbow is not controversial though right?... If the U.S. had to play the game with 10 men they probably would be sitting at the bottom of the group with 1 point and a minus 3 goal difference. 

My fault....I say bocanegra and is dempsey it was supposed to be.

Nah I wasn't commenting on your mistake.  I wasn't even responding to your post... I hear what you're saying... I was just being facetious along the same line.  Listening to this coverage you would think that this is the only bad call that has ever been made in the game.  The U.S. benefited from a bad call in the game as well so while I understand the frustration, they ought to just look at the big picture and swallow it up....sometimes it works for you, sometimes against you- c'est la vie.  In the CONFED Cup last year Brazil scored a goal that Howard literally pulled out of the net.  True Brazil came back to win so it was moot, but yuh didn't hear a peep, and if the U.S. went on to win that game yuh woudlna hear nuttin except for how the U.S. beat the mighty Brazil....

I eh no USA hater, but sh*t like this is the kinda stuff that turns people against the American team...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dempsey getting away with a blatant elbow is not controversial though right?... If the U.S. had to play the game with 10 men they probably would be sitting at the bottom of the group with 1 point and a minus 3 goal difference. 

My fault....I say bocanegra and is dempsey it was supposed to be.

Nah I wasn't commenting on your mistake.  I wasn't even responding to your post... I hear what you're saying... I was just being facetious along the same line.  Listening to this coverage you would think that this is the only bad call that has ever been made in the game.  The U.S. benefited from a bad call in the game as well so while I understand the frustration, they ought to just look at the big picture and swallow it up....sometimes it works for you, sometimes against you- c'est la vie.  In the CONFED Cup last year Brazil scored a goal that Howard literally pulled out of the net.  True Brazil came back to win so it was moot, but yuh didn't hear a peep, and if the U.S. went on to win that game yuh woudlna hear nuttin except for how the U.S. beat the mighty Brazil....

I eh no USA hater, but sh*t like this is the kinda stuff that turns people against the American team...

it was not even a bad call... de man call what he see... go and watch de pics in the NYT article... yankees was fouling too... is a hard luck...

stop crying bitches
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I think I saw the phantom foul.  If anyone gets a chance (or cares enough) to take a look at it again...Michael Bradley (ironically while being hugged by his marker) shoved the no 11 defender in the back when making his forward run.  The defender jerked forward under the push, and I'm almost 100% sure that that is what the ref saw and called.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I think I saw the phantom foul.  If anyone gets a chance (or cares enough) to take a look at it again...Michael Bradley (ironically while being hugged by his marker) shoved the no 11 defender in the back when making his forward run.  The defender jerked forward under the push, and I'm almost 100% sure that that is what the ref saw and called.

....according to the NYT article, that might not even have been the foul, either.  apparently (or allegedly) bocanegra was pulling a Slovenian to the ground approximately a yard or two directly in the ref's line of sight. 

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile

....according to the NYT article, that might not even have been the foul, either.  apparently (or allegedly) bocanegra was pulling a Slovenian to the ground approximately a yard or two directly in the ref's line of sight. 

Wait, so are you saying there were a possibility of at least 2 fouls on Slovenian players, but none of the US media saw it (after multiple replays, cause to be fair I did not see any either in real time) but still harping on the recalled goal and saying the US was "ROBBED" steupss

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Come nah man... steups.  Allyuh talking about fouls on the slovenian but when yuh look at the pictures of the play ever Slovenian arm wrap arung man like dey tiefing ah wine?  The ref fack up... nutten wrong with admitting that.  All this equivocating about "well, de Slovenians geh fouled too..." steups.

De ref fack up de scenes... is not de first time and it won't be the last.  Refs are humans and humans make mistakes... time tuh move on.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
Come nah man... steups.  Allyuh talking about fouls on the slovenian but when yuh look at the pictures of the play ever Slovenian arm wrap arung man like dey tiefing ah wine?  The ref fack up... nutten wrong with admitting that.  All this equivocating about "well, de Slovenians geh fouled too..." steups.

De ref fack up de scenes... is not de first time and it won't be the last.  Refs are humans and humans make mistakes... time tuh move on.

Tell dat to the Yanks, is dem who intend on keeping this in the news  ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Tell dat to the Yanks, is dem who intend on keeping this in the news  ;D

Big Up!

And there's nothing wrong with that... soccer continues to grow at an encouraging clip here in the U.S. more people are starting to watch and so it only makes sense that the game will linger a bit longer in the national spotlight. According to ESPN the game was watched by more American households than any other in US history, and counting viewers, not households, was the third most-watched game in US history, behind Italy's 2-0 defeat of Germany in extratime in 2006, and Germany's quarterfinal defeat of the US in 2002.

The growing profile of the sport means that more people are watching yes, but more people who don't follow the game as closely as we do, so controversies such as this, which we know to take in stride is cause for major umbrage for many Americans.  Especially when you consider that this is a sporting society weaned on replay and "getting the call right".  Baseball is the last holdout among the US big four, and even that has limited replay, which is sure to expand in the wake of the blown call that robbed the sport of a no-hitter three weeks ago.

They are "whiners" just as we were whiners after the England game (which plenty people here on this site still ent get over yet), them just carrying on longer because the media actually paying attention to the sport for a change.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

How many of the pics and camera angles that we see, are we seeing from the referee's perspective? As I said before, any time a corner or free kick is played into the box, in any game in any league or tournament in the world, the officials can call a foul (or multiple fouls) against either team.  We have seen it many, many times before, whether a goal resulted (and was disallowed) or not.  In this case, the ref made a call that he saw. He didn't necessarily f**k up as some people (or all americans) are so charged up to charge.  He blew for a foul that he saw. plain and simple. He signaled and blew the whistle before the ball was played into the net.   According to the ref (and other neutral observers) "the Slovenians DID get fouled".  He just doesn't have to include the "too" if that's what he saw first and there's only one foul he can officially penalize and his decision is what counts.  Yet again, I beg the question, where were his assistants in all this? 
The americans and their supporters would be reasonably justified if (1) none of their players committed any fouls and (2) if they weren't going on so much about it, OR if they would try to be a little more objective about it.   
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 04:04:50 AM by Mango Chow! »

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

How many of the pics and camera angles that we see, are we seeing from the referee's perspective? As I said before, any time a corner or free kick is played into the box, in any game in any league or tournament in the world, the officials can call a foul (or multiple fouls) against either team.  We have seen it many, many times before, whether a goal resulted (and was disallowed) or not.  In this case, the ref made a call that he saw. He didn't necessarily f**k up as some people (or all americans) are so charged up to charge.  He blew for a foul that he saw. plain and simple. He signaled and blew the whistle before the ball was played into the net.   According to the ref (and other neutral observers) "the Slovenians DID get fouled".  He just doesn't have to include the "too" if that's what he saw first and there's only one foul he can officially penalize and his decision is what counts.  Yet again, I beg the question, where were his assistants in all this? 
The americans and their supporters would be reasonably justified if (1) none of their players committed any fouls and (2) if they weren't going on so much about it, OR if they would try to be a little more objective about it.   

THIS ^

I want to know how de man fack up? The refs are instructed to crack down on the free kick/corner jostling and pulling... he call what he see first and blow de whistle... how he tief?

dey need to get over it... happens all de time all over...

We had more rights to whine about Crouch in 2006 because that was the only foul happening in dat moment... even so, i fine we cry like bitches then too... lol.. dat shit does happen

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

That's what I'm saying.  Time to move on.  This ent the first, nor the last time a ref is gonna make a big mistake.  Calls like that are especially commonplace- the only difference is that the players followed through and the ball ended up in the net.  Many a time a ref makes a call in a scrum of players on a dead ball play and the play sorta stops because the whistle was early...and when yuh look at the replay, yuh can't see no definite foul...all yuh seeing is one setta hard back men wining on each other and climbing on each others' backs... This time the whistle was early too...for whatever reason (probably the damn vuvuzelas  ;D), the players followed through on the play- it's not like the ref blew after the ball ended up in the net...He thought he spotted an infringement and blew the whistle- on the replay no clear infringement is seen.  Because the U.S. is involved, we're watching U.S. coverage, and as yuh say, they not used to these kinds of human errors in sports, this has become some kinda national outcry...Imagine today (Sunday) they still carrying on about it...My guess is that in the U.S. camp, dem fellas move on and readying themselves for the next game- it's only the story seekers still paying this any mind. 

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
THIS ^

I want to know how de man fack up? The refs are instructed to crack down on the free kick/corner jostling and pulling... he call what he see first and blow de whistle... how he tief?

dey need to get over it... happens all de time all over...

We had more rights to whine about Crouch in 2006 because that was the only foul happening in dat moment... even so, i fine we cry like bitches then too... lol.. dat shit does happen

Who say he "tief"?  Allyuh saying de ref call what he see first.  How de ass allyuh could know what he see first?  Allyuh live inside he head... or did he send allyuh ah text message explaining who he call de foul on... because to date there has been no explanation, and likely won't be until after tomorrow.  He "fack up" because in light of all the shit that was going on in that box with fouls all over the place the proper thing to do would have been to stop play and have the kick re-taken.  The goal would have still been disallowed but at least there would be some understanding that he was taking control of the situation rather than penalizing one team over the other. 

All that aside, it is fair to say that in situations like that more fouls are likely committed by defenders than by attacking players as defenders are more insistent on inhibiting free movement of the attacking players.  All attacking players have to do is get open, easier accomplished without fouling, than it is for defenders to do their job (inhibiting free runs) without fouling.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
My guess is that in the U.S. camp, dem fellas move on and readying themselves for the next game- it's only the story seekers still paying this any mind. 

Dem fellas is professionals and I sure most of them... especially those playing in Europe, used to refs making mistakes (as the players see it) in games.  Yuh juss have to take it in stride and move on tuh de next objective... winning ah game and advancing to the next round.

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Who say he "tief"?  Allyuh saying de ref call what he see first.  How de ass allyuh could know what he see first?  Allyuh live inside he head... or did he send allyuh ah text message explaining who he call de foul on... because to date there has been no explanation, and likely won't be until after tomorrow.  He "fack up" because in light of all the shit that was going on in that box with fouls all over the place the proper thing to do would have been to stop play and have the kick re-taken.  The goal would have still been disallowed but at least there would be some understanding that he was taking control of the situation rather than penalizing one team over the other. 

All that aside, it is fair to say that in situations like that more fouls are likely committed by defenders than by attacking players as defenders are more insistent on inhibiting free movement of the attacking players.  All attacking players have to do is get open, easier accomplished without fouling, than it is for defenders to do their job (inhibiting free runs) without fouling.

Try and doh be ah facking arsehole nah... if you been following this ting or even slightly well read.. which i am sure you are... you would be seeing the following words regularly in the media: robbed, robbery, stolen, unfair, bias, TEIF... and right here on this board too...

now of course we can't read minds.. but if you suggesting that he ignored fouls by slovenians to call the foul that he did... then you are suggesting bias or for the very least, incompetence... ( I know you never suggest this)

You can't say for sure, but we can't say he broke any rules or ignored the spirit of the game... so how can you say he facked up?

allyuh men love america too much... not that there is anything wrong with dat... just not my cup of tea

:beermug:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Try and doh be ah facking arsehole nah... if you been following this ting or even slightly well read.. which i am sure you are... you would be seeing the following words regularly in the media: robbed, robbery, stolen, unfair, bias, TEIF... and right here on this board too...

now of course we can't read minds.. but if you suggesting that he ignored fouls by slovenians to call the foul that he did... then you are suggesting bias or for the very least, incompetence... ( I know you never suggest this)

You can't say for sure, but we can't say he broke any rules or ignored the spirit of the game... so how can you say he facked up?

allyuh men love america too much... not that there is anything wrong with dat... just not my cup of tea

:beermug:

Try and doh be ah facking presumptive asshole nah... this has nothing to do with "liking" America, in fact to the contrary, it have everything to do with 'hating' America, which many of the detractors on here willfully admit.  So much so that it clouding allyuh objectivity.  England is my squad... I not even rooting for the Americans, why would I when that would be against the benefit of my favored squad?  Last time I even root for the Americans was 4 years ago when they get tief against the Italians, and that was only because I dislike the Americans a lot less than I dislike the Italians.

At no point did I suggest that he ignored fouls committed by the Slovenians to call the one he called on the Americans... the best we can say is that IF he did see a legitimate foul on the Americans he had to be looking extremely close at that one sapling in a forest of trees because there damn sure were a lot of fouls being committed by the Slovenians.  It shows that the ref failed to properly assess the totality of the circumstances as they were taking place in that box.  Any ref under any circumstance where there is a near brawl taking place in the box, who makes a call where one team is disproportionately penalized would come in for criticism.  The US were disproportionately penalized, for whatever reason... I personally don't care.  It is beyond hypocritical to say that Americans are going on too much about this when four years later man on here still carrying on about Crouch.

Shit, I know how Americans feeling because I thought the ref called shit on we in Guatemala causing them to get the free kick that lead to the last-minute equalizer in Guatemala City 18 months ago.  I still vex about Crouch and to this day I rooting against Argentina because ah Maradona in '86.  At least the people showing some passion fuh ah sport I love so me eh see nutten wrong with them feeling "robbed".

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
come nah bakes.. yuh love america... nutten wrong with dat..

doh take it personal   :-*

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
come nah bakes.. yuh love america... nutten wrong with dat..

doh take it personal   :-*

ha ha... nah fack dem.  I will give dem dey due but me eh no fan.  Ref was probably vex with heself fuh giving Altidore de shit free kick tuh begin with and say, "yuh know what... fack dat, ah blowing mih whistle again" lol

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
The referees decisions of errors in this tournament just keep piling up
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
controversy 1: The vuvuzelas
controversy 2: The Jabulani
controversy 3: Refereeing decisions (disallowed US goal, Klose sending off, NZ offside goal/Italy penalty, Kaka sending off/Fabiano double handball ah miss any?)
controversy 4: France team imploding, Anelka getting send home
controversy 5: ???

Alyuh realise since the action heat up the refs start making plenty high profile mistakes/debatable decisions? Or maybe is the other way around :devil:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 05:13:55 PM by Midknight »
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Down to today ah geh tex bout dis like I iz a damn UEFA rep, men sayin to meh "ah like how all yuh tief we", ah say to him, all yuh?  Since when I iz a FIFA ref., ah wonder if de replays will still be runnin time de final come around?  Would not doubt it nah
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
So many camera angles. Use instant replay to resolve the most serious issues

giggsy11

Somebody should do an inquest into all dem ugly plastic looking tugs on display!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Somebody should do an inquest into all dem ugly plastic looking tugs on display!

hahahaha when boots first come out with that material, everybody use to call it "imitation" "Chinee boots" "Shit Boots" etc. Then Nike bring it out with a little advertising and all of a sudden its the rage. Cheap material quadruple your profits.  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

1]; } ?>