April 25, 2024, 05:44:19 PM

Author Topic: Really poor football on display so far in this World Cup  (Read 14254 times)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Really poor football on display so far in this World Cup
« on: June 14, 2010, 12:25:16 PM »
I was excited prior to the first game of this World Cup

Now....I actually fallin asleep durin games

This World Cup so far is memorable for the Vuvuzela and the poor quality of football in general (apart from Germany and Argentina thus far)

Italy and Paraguay up next....I anticipatin a nex snore fest.  Hopefully I'm wrong.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
Re: Really poor football on display so far in this World Cup
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 01:08:55 PM »
I was excited prior to the first game of this World Cup

Now....I actually fallin asleep durin games

This World Cup so far is memorable for the Vuvuzela and the poor quality of football in general (apart from Germany and Argentina thus far)

Italy and Paraguay up next....I anticipatin a nex snore fest.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

Well according to most people, one of these is responsible for the other  ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 01:31:51 PM »
AMEN! I tort was juss me on this meds that falling asleep oui.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 02:37:36 PM »
Agreed- poor quality so far. 

I not even giving Argentina dem props- they were supposed to be better. 

Italy - Paraguay was actually a good contest though.... 

Still have Brazil, Portugal, Spain, Ivory Coast to up the entertainment value a bit....hopefully. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 03:19:51 PM »

Still have Brazil, Portugal, Spain, Ivory Coast to up the entertainment value a bit....hopefully. 

Really Kicker! Italy Paraguay! ah feel yuh fall ah sleep  ;D So much bad passing and poor technical quality in general, I think yuh imagination running away wid yuh  ;D Paraguay in general gave away more passes than they completed
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 03:27:07 PM »

Really Kicker! Italy Paraguay! ah feel yuh fall ah sleep  ;D So much bad passing and poor technical quality in general, I think yuh imagination running away wid yuh  ;D Paraguay in general gave away more passes than they completed

A game doh have to have high technical quality to be entertaining. Though it does help a lot. I doh think the rain help proceedings either.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 03:36:55 PM »
Of the 11 completed games thus far, 8 were sub par, 2 were aight and the Germany game was good.

I literally fell asleep during the England vs USA game, that was a snooze-fest.

The Mexico game and the Ghana game were 2 of the aight ones.

Argentina had one or 2 flashes but overall not up to standard.

Més que un club.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 03:53:13 PM »
I waiting for two full rounds of matches.

To be fair to all the teams, the first game is always very cautious. Even the big teams in the tournament settling for draws in the first game.

The third round of group matches are usually the best. Teams are either free to play cause they have secured second round status or they are desparate and need pts to advance.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 04:17:07 PM »
People this is modern football. The game has become more physical, technical and defensive. This is pretty boring...

But then again you have to admire the structure of these teams. Italy is looking dangerous so far because they started of slow, with little self belief, fell behind and grind out with a draw. You have to take that very seriously when seeing a team come from behind against a powerhouse south american opponent. Anyone that knows anything about these competitions will tell you that the team peaking at the right time is eventually gonna win the cup. Scaping Italy in the past have underlined this. This Italy team is far better than it's 06 counterparts, Di Rossi is like a predator in midfield and looking  wayyy better than gattuso in terms of keeping a cool head and not making silly tackles.

It will take very special teams to kick USA, Italy and Brazil out of this tourny. Don't expect to see Spain or Putigal after second round. MARK MY WORDS.

In the end the best offensive team won, but you have to be able to defend solidly. D first, take your chances is the modern soccer unless ur holland or germany lol. but germany d is pretty gosh darn good unlike holland.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 04:19:39 PM by sHOTTA12 »

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 04:34:26 PM »
I say blame HD tv for de la la on display... back in de day when man was watching WC on TTT  on ah 16 inch sharp colour  tv, with no remote, nobody used to complain.  ;)
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 05:55:59 PM »
I real enjoyed the games so far.  close contests all of them (except a couple) so you can't tell who going to win (or if it will draw).

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 08:03:51 PM »
I waiting for two full rounds of matches.

To be fair to all the teams, the first game is always very cautious. Even the big teams in the tournament settling for draws in the first game.

The third round of group matches are usually the best. Teams are either free to play cause they have secured second round status or they are desperate and need pts to advance.

Second round will be more exciting ....by the third round its pretty much over for most teams...double winners will even play out a dull draw or put in reserves ... winners want to make sure they qualify and losers have no choice but to try to get a win.
we must remember that these are not the best 32 teams in world football ! Many good teams did not make it because of the way things are structured. We of all people should be well aware of that.
So we have to put up with a few boring encounters .
many teams have a history of starting slow ...Italy even won a world cup after drawing all their group matches ...
some win their first game then flatter to deceive ...
The major players are doing what is necessary at this time ....no point in showing all your cards to your opponents is there ?

giggsy11

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 08:12:06 PM »
I nthink the footballers overworked and it showing the quality of play.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 08:20:14 PM »
Real people blaming the ball.
De vuvuzuelas.
De long season.
The pragmatic survival football psyche.

Take yuh pick.

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 08:50:44 PM »
I thought was just me. De amount ah yawns i ketch today and yesterday it ent funny. I thought it would be interesting to compare the matches of the last world cup. Now granted, T&T being in it and me being in Germany might kinda skew my perspective but i still trying a thing

Germany 4 Costa Rica 2 (Damn exciting as far as openers go, plus 6 goals in one match can never be wrong)
Poland 0 Ecuador 2 (can't remember properly but i think this was a fairly average game. 2 goals though)
1st day goal count = 8
England 1 Paraguay 0 (absolutel lala)
T&T 0 Sweden 0 (best 0-0 I've seen in a world cup)
Argentina 2 Ivory Coast 1 (decent enough match)
2nd day goal count = 8+4=12
Serbia 0 Holland 1 (didn't see)
Mexico 3 Iran 1 (exciting match
Angola 0 Portugal 1 (decent match)
3rd day goal count = 12+6
USA 0 Czech 3 (exciting match plus great goal)
Italy 2 Ghana 0 (decent match)
Austrlia 3 Japan 1 (decent match, great finale)
4th day goal count = 18+9=27
Brazil 1 - Croatia 0 (average match, great goal)
South Korea 2 Togo 1 (average match)
France 0 Switzerland 0 (not bad for a 0-0
5th day goal count = 27+4 = 31
Spain 4 Ukraine 0 (spectacular show by the Spanish)
Tunisia 2 Saudi Arabia 2 (poor match but entertaining spectacle and an injury time goal)
Germany 1 Poland 0 (entertaining match, injury time winner)
6th day goal count = 31+9=40

south Africa 1 Mexico 1 (fairly entertaining match)
uruguay 0 france 0 = (dire)
first day goal count = 2
south korea 2 greece 0 (average match)
argentina 1 Nigeria 0 (decent match)
USA 1 England 1 (average match with high profile blooper)
2nd day goal count = 2+5=7
Algeria 0 Slovenia 1 (poor match decided on a blooper)
Ghana 1 Serbia 0 (average match decided on a penalty)
Germany 4 Australia (entertaining show by the Germans)
3rd day goal count = 7+6 = 13
Cameroon 0 Japan 1 (poor)
Holland 2 Denmark 0 (underwhelming)
Italy 1 Paraguay 1 (decent match)
4th day goal count = 13+5= 18
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 09:09:43 PM by Midknight »
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 09:16:40 PM »

Nah I agree it wasn't good quality- but I thought it was a good contest.  It wasn't nearly the snore fest that I expected. 

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 03:33:18 AM »
Quality of football is one thing but there's been a lack of simple things, I feel the players still trying to come to term with the bal.   For example decent crosses into the box have been few and far between with most sailing clear over to the touchline and shots from outside the area have been haven't been anywhere near goal except that one in the Cameroon game.

As bad as the goals per game is so far it even worse when you consider the amount that have been due to keeping errors.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 04:00:01 PM »
Quality of football is one thing but there's been a lack of simple things, I feel the players still trying to come to term with the bal.   For example decent crosses into the box have been few and far between with most sailing clear over to the touchline and shots from outside the area have been haven't been anywhere near goal except that one in the Cameroon game.

As bad as the goals per game is so far it even worse when you consider the amount that have been due to keeping errors.

Also take the altitude into account. about 4 or 5 sites, correct me, are above 2 thousand or more feet above sea level. But I feel the long football season is part of the reason. These guys just finish the season in Euro. 2 weeks rest and prepare for the biggest football tourney.  Quite a few maybe tired!!!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 07:43:24 AM »
I have been critical about the opening games. But last night I was thinking of WHY?

In 2006 the WC was in Europe, most of the best players and teams were very familiar with
the environment. Almost perfect, travel, accommodations, training pitches etc. So players only had to get over their own nerves and fears.

WC 2010 has many things that players and teams have to adapt to. Winter & Summer weather in the same environment, travel, altitude, flight of the ball, pitches, training pitches,  etc. Even the African teams have to adapt, Cape Town is very different from Jburg etc.

Similar to 2002 WC (Japan / Korea) when teams and players were uncomfortable with the environment, leading to the World and Euro Champions France being eliminated without scoring a single goal in the opening round. Similarly Argentina, Portugal suffered the same way.

Just a thought, but it may be the reason for this.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 08:52:08 AM »
I have been critical about the opening games. But last night I was thinking of WHY?

In 2006 the WC was in Europe, most of the best players and teams were very familiar with
the environment. Almost perfect, travel, accommodations, training pitches etc. So players only had to get over their own nerves and fears.

WC 2010 has many things that players and teams have to adapt to. Winter & Summer weather in the same environment, travel, altitude, flight of the ball, pitches, training pitches,  etc. Even the African teams have to adapt, Cape Town is very different from Jburg etc.

Similar to 2002 WC (Japan / Korea) when teams and players were uncomfortable with the environment, leading to the World and Euro Champions France being eliminated without scoring a single goal in the opening round. Similarly Argentina, Portugal suffered the same way.

Just a thought, but it may be the reason for this.

Doh forget to blame some of it on the vuvuzelas

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 09:18:16 AM »
Ah mean, what more can you expect from a world cup with no Ronaldinho or Trinidad and Tobago. The quality mus' drop
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 09:39:30 AM »
this has to be one of the most boring world cups ive seen on record. >:(

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 11:40:32 AM »
Up to now a free kick ent score....Shameful  >:(

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 03:08:59 PM »
Ah mean, what more can you expect from a world cup with no Ronaldinho or Trinidad and Tobago. The quality mus' drop

:beermug: well said
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

giggsy11

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 07:51:39 PM »
Thursday, Jun 17 2010 3AM  7°C 6AM 11°C 5-Day Forecast WORLD CUP 2010: Six reasons why this tournament has had the dullest start in living memory
By Matt Barlow in Rustenburg
Last updated at 12:29 AM on 17th June 2010

It only comes round every four years and the excitement about the World Cup reaches fever pitch. But not this time! It's been an unbelievably dull start to a tournament with so few goals, let alone ones to stick in the memory.

The superstars like Wayne Rooney, Kaka and Andres Iniesta have so far failed to turn on the magic. Blame the ball, the pitch , the defensive tactics - Sportsmail gives an assessment of where it's all gone wrong.

Slow start: Rooney failed to capture the imagination against the United States

CONDITIONS
The first winter World Cup for 32 years has thrown up new tests. At the end of long domestic seasons, players have found themselves breathless from the altitude. Unprompted, Wayne Rooney raised the idea of a winter break again yesterday. Only Germany and perhaps Chile have played with a decent tempo.

England will be pleased to escape the altitude and head for Cape Town to play Algeria tomorrow but other pitfalls lurk on the coast, where the weather has been cold and wet and the pitches have caused a stir.

'It looked beautiful but was actually very slippery and very hard to control the ball,' said Marcelo Lippi after Italy's 1-1 draw with Paraguay in Cape Town, a game played in a deluge. Roy Hodgson has noted an absence of defence-splitting passes, saying the newly laid pitches are 'making the ball very lively and bounce very high'.

ATMOSPHERE
Blocks of empty seats never help, and then there's the vuvuzelas. Prominent South African sports writer Jon Qwelane once described the horns as the 'instrument from hell'. There certainly hasn't been a visual spectacular like the ticker tape showers of Argentina '78 or the Mexican waves of '86.

The 'instrument from hell': vuvuzelas have attracted a lot of attention this World Cup

BALLS
Sven Goran Erik sson took the ball debate to a new level yesterday, demanding a summit meeting on the subject. All World Cups start with keepers grumbling about the unpredictability of a new ball but the adidas Jabulani controversy shows no sign of abating.
'You'll notice a drop in the quality of headed goals or goals from crosses,' said Matthew Upson. 'It's so hard to read.' Free-kick experts have yet to make an impact and the sight of Andres Iniesta launching passes wildly into touch will encourage those players wondering why their powers had suddenly vanished.

The dodgy ball has not resulted in a flood of goals - only 25 from the first 16 games, considerably down on 39 at the same stage four years ago. Thirteen of the 32 teams failed to score.

TENSION
No one wants to lose their first game. Clint Dempsey said England seemed under pressure against the United States and the Italians confessed to feeling the heat as they defend their title. Not that starting slowly is in itself a bad thing. Italy drew their first three games in 1982 and still won the World Cup. It took until the final game of the first round of group games for a shock to energise the competition.

Had Switzerland beaten Spain on the opening day, it might have different. In 1990, Cameroon beat Argentina on the opening day and, in 2002, France lost to Senegal. Here, in the first World Cup held on African soil, the African teams have looked just as inhibited as anyone else. Of five African teams, only Ghana won, thanks to a penalty against 10-man Serbia.

TACTICS
Fear invokes cautious tactical plans in the early stages. 'In the first round teams play more not to lose than to win,' said Arsene Wenger. 'The games are quite locked tactically with very few chances and very few have had a go. 'The pressure of the World Cup is so intense nobody wants to lose that first game. It harms the style a little bit. But it is a tournament that lasts one month. A slow start and being qualified is better than to start at 100 miles per hour.'

Even the traditional flair merchants have tightened up. African teams are no longer perceived as instinctive, expressive footballers blighted by disorganisation and very few teams get thrashed like El Salvador, who lost 10-1 to Hungary in 1982. Four of the five African teams are coached by Europeans, with Eriksson instilling a Scandinavian pragmatism in the Ivory Coast.'I was impressed with the Ivory Coast's discipline against Portugal,' said Rooney.

Brazil's natural flamboyance is stifled beneath the safety-first policy of Dunga, a coach educated in Italy, who probably boasts the best defensive unit in the competition.

FAMILIARITY

It has bred competition rather than contempt. The World Cup brings fewer surprises in the internet age. Modern broadcasting and communication means teams are studied in minute detail and plots hatched to stop the dangermen.

Rooney, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo were all subdued in their opening fixtures and, for the armchair audience, Didier Drogba's awesome power and the mercurial talents of Kaka, no longer command the same novelty value.

The chance to see Johan Cruyff in '74 or Maradona in '86 was a rare thrill but with televised European football and heavy traffic of South American players to Europe, the stars are made in the Champions League, not the World Cup.

Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group

© Associated Newspapers Ltd
Contact us Terms Privacy policy Advertise with us     

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2010/article-1287178/WORLD-CUP-2010-Six-reasons-tournament-dullest-start-living-memory.html#ixzz0r4PIb5qb

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2010, 04:54:56 AM »
Di Wirl Cup still sweet same way!

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2010, 10:51:40 AM »
.. heavy traffic of South American players to Europe, the stars are made in the Champions League, not the World Cup.

Some friends of mine were discussing the early games and we all agreed the World Cup games are not the same in many regards.  We all looked forward to the clash of the South american styles to the European style in the 70s - 80s, but that is dead.  There is no difference in style and the familiarity of the players has taken away a lot from the International games.

Mourinho made the comment recently that the best football is played and coaching done in the Champions League.

Blessings
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2010, 06:56:22 PM »
thank god. Since the Spain match there's been a noticeable improvement!
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2010, 07:50:14 PM »
thank god. Since the Spain match there's been a noticeable improvement!

Coincidentally the final match of the first round of the group stage
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

giggsy11

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2010, 10:04:07 PM »
The Nike tugs with the grey and orange rell ugly IMO! Anybody who wearing dem play a decent game yet?

1]; } ?>