April 25, 2024, 11:49:57 AM

Author Topic: Really poor football on display so far in this World Cup  (Read 14248 times)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Re: Really poor football on display so far in this World Cup
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2010, 07:11:12 AM »
The Nike tugs with the grey and orange rell ugly IMO! Anybody who wearing dem play a decent game yet?

I like them, but then again I biased towards the colour Orange.... ;D ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

giggsy11

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2010, 09:27:59 AM »
The Nike tugs with the grey and orange rell ugly IMO! Anybody who wearing dem play a decent game yet?

I like them, but then again I biased towards the colour Orange.... ;D ;D

:rotfl: :beermug: Yuh think?

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2010, 11:44:37 AM »
Yesterday had 10 goals, that's an improvement.

giggsy11

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2010, 12:19:10 PM »
This World cup could be remembered for goalies' who displayed poor techniques which has led to goals being scored.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2010, 02:33:54 PM »
it picking up.

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2010, 04:29:40 PM »
Fellas I play with a Jabulani today... is real pressure... de ball have a kinda sponginess that when yuh kick it, it flying off yuh foot into space...

doh talk for de flight of de ball... I send een two cross dat swing two ways and nearly end up in the goal, had de keeper scrambling... adidas hadda go back to de drawing board with that ball in my opinion...
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2010, 04:44:40 PM »
It's really sad that, Africa is hosting the WC for the very first time and the African teams pick this tournament to have their worst showing in recent memory. Rel disappointing.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2010, 07:40:43 AM »
But honestly Mango....is not now african teams not performing.

Is long time...besides Cameroon and Milla no african team ever reach that far.

Nigeria used to make second round and ting but for the most part all used to pop down when coming up against the big guns.

Yes we have the Morroco and Senegal and ting who beat some people but consistency is not a word you could use with any african side.

Why do we like them?...because they look like we? Because they big and strong and does hit man beat?

I telling yuh.....concacaf reaching further than Africa in football.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2010, 07:57:01 AM »

Nigeria used to make second round and ting but for the most part all used to pop down when coming up against the big guns.

Yes we have the Morroco and Senegal and ting who beat some people but consistency is not a word you could use with any african side.

Why do we like them?...because they look like we? Because they big and strong and does hit man beat?

You are right, Touches.  Africa as a whole have never gone far, but at least ONE team from Africa would step up and do relatively well.  when Cameroon wasn't doing it, Nigeria was giving us something to cheer about.  When neither of them were at their best in Japan-Korea, Senegal was looking good.  Next WC in Germany, we had Ghana and Ivory Coast to cheer for AND they played relatively good with Ghana coming out second in a very tough group and IC also being in a tough group losing two and winning one, all close games.  So far NONE of the teams are looking halfway good, or at least not half as good as they should, and Ivory Coast, the last hope for redemption, is in the toughest group of the tornament.  I does support the African teams of course because they more than look like me.  They ARE me, a few slave ships notwithstanding.   I wouldn't say that concacaf is reaching further than African in football.  We still have only one Youth tournament to we name and it's always the same teams from concacaf achieving the same results. 

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2010, 08:51:18 AM »

Yep.  "If I doh love them, then who will....."  Black Stalin....

On another note, every time Mango Chow post, I swear is Jah Gol posting..... ;D
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2010, 09:15:35 AM »
Africa at the senior level appears to underachieve because their youth teams have a good record.  The inability to transition, among other things, leads to the conspiracy theories about fraudulent birth papers etc....

Cameroon is still living off of a good performance in WC 1990- They have not advanced to the second round since then. (Little known fact- before WC 1990 started, Cameroon was the only World Cup qualifier to never have lost a match- they qualified once previously in 1982, drew all 3 games and didn't advance to the next round)...

Senegal made one showing, reached the Q-finals and never returned, Nigeria had two round of 16 showings in '94 & '98 but before and after that were nothing to scream about...and the Ivory Coast has been plagued with two ridiculously difficult groups in consecutive cups.  I still think that they outplayed Argentina in the last WC but were unlucky, and  I think they have enough to make a statement this time around though.  Before WC '90 it was all about North Africa, but they never did enough to give the continent any kind of reputation....

Long story short, some good youth tournaments, some accomplished players in Europe and being assessed as a continent as opposed to as individual countries (that's a long conversation in of itself), is mostly what gives Africa a leg to stand on in the global game at the senior level....and if you're one of those who supports anything black, well yuh eh really need any other reasons to support them  ;D
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2010, 09:29:44 AM »

When they play well they do the things Trinis like to see, beats and flicks included. They not playing well at all though.

I agree the Concacaf teams doing better than them. Their worst attribute is their lack of discipline. Consider that almost every major club in Europe has African players. Concacaf aren't as well represented at the top clubs. I figure they have better individuals than teams.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2010, 09:36:11 AM »
Their worst attribute is their lack of discipline.

I was discussing that with a friend yesterday after the Cameroon match.  Dem literally give way that game.  If dey eh throwing away their chances, they cyar defend...

Ghana is another example, last world cup composure in front of goal was a big issue, four years later they still in the same boat...

Lawd aye, they does frustrate mih eh but ah still love them.....one day they'll get it right....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2010, 09:43:04 AM »
Africa at the senior level appears to underachieve because their youth teams have a good record.  The inability to transition, among other things, leads to the conspiracy theories about fraudulent birth papers etc....

Cameroon is still living off of a good performance in WC 1990- They have not advanced to the second round since then. (Little known fact- before WC 1990 started, Cameroon was the only World Cup qualifier to never have lost a match- they qualified once previously in 1982, drew all 3 games and didn't advance to the next round)...

Senegal made one showing, reached the Q-finals and never returned, Nigeria had two round of 16 showings in '94 & '98 but before and after that were nothing to scream about...and the Ivory Coast has been plagued with two ridiculously difficult groups in consecutive cups.  I still think that they outplayed Argentina in the last WC but were unlucky, and  I think they have enough to make a statement this time around though.  Before WC '90 it was all about North Africa, but they never did enough to give the continent any kind of reputation....

Long story short, some good youth tournaments, some accomplished players in Europe and being assessed as a continent as opposed to as individual countries (that's a long conversation in of itself), is mostly what gives Africa a leg to stand on in the global game at the senior level....and if you're one of those who supports anything black, well yuh eh really need any other reasons to support them  ;D

Anything black African is RIGHT!! The fraudulent birth papering might be a direct result of a need to improve the infra structures of most, if not all of the African countries....but that's for another discussion.  I think part of the reason a team like Senegal might flash one appearance and not again (and bear in mind, that was only two tournaments ago) is that African qualifying is very very difficult the way it's structured, to really see consistent representation of more than a handful of teams.  But that's just my opinion.  As the other teams in CAF, like Zambia, Togo, Mali, South Africa, continue to take strides in improving their game, all the teams will begin to show some consistency at the top level.  I also think that the transition from youth to senior levels have to do with mismanagement.  I could be wrong, but at the youth levels, (fraud notwithstanding) skill and pace can do more for you than at the senior levels where the play and the players are a little more tactical and sophisticated.      

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2010, 10:09:07 AM »
This World cup could be remembered for goalies' who displayed poor techniques which has led to goals being scored.

i dunno, some goalies real stepping up, esp from the 'small' teams -even though they may not have won.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2010, 10:37:51 AM »

I was discussing that with a friend yesterday after the Cameroon match.  Dem literally give way that game.  If dey eh throwing away their chances, they cyar defend...

Ghana is another example, last world cup composure in front of goal was a big issue, four years later they still in the same boat...

Lawd aye, they does frustrate mih eh but ah still love them.....one day they'll get it right....
They have the same mental lapses Caribbean teams have.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2010, 01:56:53 PM »

Is ah black thing.... ;D
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2010, 01:59:53 PM »

Is ah black thing.... ;D

When Wim and Maturana say dah....allyuh didnt like it eh.

;D
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

giggsy11

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2010, 04:53:52 PM »
As much as I love the beautiful game I think the powers that me need to find a way to get players more rest. It is hurting the sport. All of the European leagues need to take winter breaks. Less tournaments please and stop changing the ball like jockey shorts.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2010, 04:57:10 PM »
The European teams are no longer as dominant as before, and some people do not want to accept dat instead they will say poor quality. Its not poor world cup quality, in fact its more quality from non-european teams..

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2010, 08:31:36 PM »
The European teams are no longer as dominant as before, and some people do not want to accept dat instead they will say poor quality. Its not poor world cup quality, in fact its more quality from non-european teams..

i agree to an extent, also the gap between the big teams and the little teams is much smaller than ppl think...some ppl living in ah fantasy world where they were saying brazil should beat north korea at least 5-0.

as for the european teams, england just shitty but some ppl think they are good because of the success of their clubs in europe...as for italy, i think they simply have the wrong squad, players such as cassano, guiseepe rossi, luca toni should be on the squad..plus dey missing pirlo and qualigarella yet to play.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2010, 11:13:54 AM »

People sayin dat since Cameroon upset Argentina in 1990.

What happen since den?

Where is dis great African and non traditional soccer power uprising to challenge the South American & European dominance?

The ONLY time a non traditonal power made a World Cup semi was Host nation South Korea in 2002

So since de Cameroon upset in 1990....we've had 4 world cups and currently in our 5th

ONE TEAM...a host team at that made the semis.

The rest....flatter to deceive as usual.

Teams mightn't get beat 4 and 5 nil....but the game the world over is such that those scores are largley a thing of the past.  It doesn't necessarily accurately measure the quality or lack thereof of the team on the receiving end.

Case in point....North Korea lost by 1 goal to Brazil.  Everybody say gap closin.

Today dey colleck 7 from Portugal.  How dah gap lookin now?

The gap eh closin.  South America and Europe still dominating.

Ivory Coast was most people's choice as the best African team and the best non traditonal soccer power team of this World Cup.  There was talk that if they beat Brazil it wouldn't be no great upset.  Instead, Brazil WAX dem....without breaking much of a sweat in the process.

I still waitin to see dis gap close.  And if yuh lookin upon England as evidence of closing gaps by non traditonal powers.....dat come like sayin yuh usin West Indies as yuh example of a closing gap in cricket by teams such as Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.  West Indies cricket team just as if not more shitty than England football team.

De only difference between de 2 teams is...

WI supporters know dey team shitty

« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 11:19:47 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2010, 11:21:26 AM »

People sayin dat since Cameroon upset Argentina in 1990.

What happen since den?

Where is dis great African and non traditional soccer power uprising to challenge the South American & European dominance?

The ONLY time a non traditonal power made a World Cup semi was Host nation South Korea in 2002

So since de Cameroon upset in 1990....we've had 4 world cups and currently in our 5th

ONE TEAM...a host team at that made the semis.

The rest....flatter to deceive as usual.

Teams mightn't get beat 4 and 5 nil....but the game the world over is such that those scores are largley a thing of the past.  It doesn't necessarily accurately measure the quality or lack thereof of the team on the receiving end.

Case in point....North Korea lost by 1 goal to Brazil.  Everybody say gap closin.

Today dey colleck 7 from Portugal.  How dah gap lookin now?

The gap eh closin.  South America and Europe still dominating.

Ivory Coast was most people's choice as the best African team and the best non traditonal soccer power team of this World Cup.  There was talk that if they beat Brazil it wouldn't be no great upset.  Instead, Brazil WAX dem....without breaking much of a sweat in the process.

I still waitin to see dis gap close.  And if yuh lookin upon England as evidence of closing gaps by non traditonal powers.....dat come like sayin yuh usin West Indies as yuh example of a closing gap in cricket by teams such as Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.  West Indies cricket team just as if not more shitty than England football team.

dont forget to add teams like Mexico, USA and South Korea (or whappen yuh fraid to mention them) to your list..or maybe adding those teams will refute everything you are saying..The Europeans teams are NOT dominating like before and the performances in this World Cup is enough to prove it and will continue to prove it in the near future, so no need for me to write a long paragraph to explain something that is very obvious.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 11:24:01 AM by Sando prince »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2010, 11:55:56 AM »
dont forget to add teams like Mexico, USA and South Korea (or whappen yuh fraid to mention them) to your list..or maybe adding those teams will refute everything you are saying..The Europeans teams are NOT dominating like before and the performances in this World Cup is enough to prove it and will continue to prove it in the near future, so no need for me to write a long paragraph to explain something that is very obvious.

How long Mexico playin World Cup football?

Dem appear in 13 World Cup finals.  That's more than any other nation barring Brazil, Italy, Germany, and Argentina.

Have they made a quarter final yet?

How about the USA?

Who have Mexico and the USA dominated?

Which Eurporean or South American teams have they BEATEN in World Cup Football?

I already mentioned South Korea.  Maybe yuh should read FIRST before commentin.

From Planet Football:

APPEARANCES IN THE FINAL ROUNDS
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 12:00:51 PM by palos »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2010, 12:21:24 PM »

Dem appear in 13 World Cup finals.  That's more than any other nation barring Brazil, Italy, Germany, and Argentina.

How about the USA?

From Planet Football:

World cup appearances of these countries has nothing to do with the FACT that the European teams are less dominant than before..so basically you are reaching..(continue to reach and see if you can touch the stars  :D )..So let me get this straight, you are saying these teams that help close the gap of European dominance is based on the fact that they have appeared in WC finals numerous times ?..Then should I assume that you agree that the gap has been narrowed ?..and dont bother ask who they dominate because i never said they dominated..maybe that is how you choose to understand...Hmm dont confuse yourself
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 12:25:05 PM by Sando prince »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2010, 12:31:22 PM »

How about the USA?

From Planet Football:

World cup appearances of these countries has nothing to do with the FACT that the European teams are less dominant than before..so basically you are reaching..(continue to reach and see if you can touch the stars  :D )..So let me get this straight, you are saying these teams that help close the gap of European dominance is based on the fact that they have appeared in WC finals numerous times ?..Then should I assume that you agree that the gap has been narrowed ?..and dont bother ask who they dominate because i never said they dominated..maybe that is how you choose to understand...Hmm dont confuse yourself

If the gap close so much...

Name the European or South American teams that EITHER Mexico OR USA have beaten in the World Cup.  In any World Cup.

Remember, Mexico playin since 1930.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2010, 12:37:10 PM »

How about the USA?

From Planet Football:

Name the European or South American teams that EITHER Mexico OR USA have beaten in the World Cup.  In any World Cup.

I will give you a chance to edit your question than i will delete this post..they both have beaten Europen teams in World Cups..

However if they have never beaten any Euro team it would not have made much difference because the standard of football they play today is considered better than the average Euro team ..the same average Euro team (like Turkey, Slovak Rep or Belgium) who would have dominated a USA or South Korea 15 years ago
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 12:41:13 PM by Sando prince »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2010, 12:54:21 PM »

How about the USA?

From Planet Football:

I will give you a chance to edit your question than i will delete this post..they both have beaten Europen teams in World Cups..

However if they have never beaten any Euro team it would not have made much difference because the standard of football they play today is considered better than the average Euro team ..the same average Euro team (like Turkey, Slovak Rep or Belgium) who would have dominated a USA or South Korea 15 years ago

The proof is in the pudding.

What gap has closed?  When have they beaten a European or South American team in the World Cup?

Has USA ever done do?  If so, how many times?

How many times has Mexico done it? 

You sayin European and South American teams no longer dominate, yet every World Cup is de same teams makin quarter finals and semi finals....and is normally NOT non traditional football powers from South America and Europe.

So if dat is not dominance, what is?

De gap close so much....USA strugglin to draw with European minnow Slovenia.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:07:23 PM by palos »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2010, 02:47:09 PM »

Slovenia struggle tuh draw that match too  ;D

Slovenia is a former Yugoslav country.  Since their separation they qualified for Euro 2000, World Cup 2002, and World Cup 2010.  They beat a highly rated Russia on their way to this cup....  Slovenia, Croatia, and Serbia are all former Yugoslav states with a tradition of football and football programs, a footballing culture, footballing infrastructure and accomplished players dating from way back when before they were recognized as independent states.  They might claim a history and tradition of football and football development that runs alot deeper than the U.S.A.

Europe and South America still dominate global football- no question, but there are match ups which woulda been foregone conclusions 25 years ago, that are more interesting now.  The globe is getting "smaller" and more players from other parts of the world are getting more opportunities to play at higher levels in Europe. 30 years ago Costa Rica wasn't rubbing shoulders with Germany the way they did in WC 2006.  Senegal couldn't dream of beating France in World Cup match 25 years ago...Ivory Coast as a potential World Cup dark horse in the 80's? Never!!  U.S.A 2 goals up against a full strength Brazil team at the half time interval of a major competition in the 80's?  Never!!   The examples are plentiful...It's not yet consistent from any one team but it's natural that if given the correct tools, the rate of improvement of the underdeveloped (from a footballing perspective) would be faster than that of the already established because there is alot more room for improvement...and that is why the gap has closed... how significantly has it closed is another argument- but teams like T&T and Honduras going to the WC and not collecting 10 like El Salvador did in WC 1982 are signs that the gap is closing.

The mere fact that we're even having this discussion speaks volumes.   
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 02:54:08 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2010, 02:48:59 PM »

Slovenia struggle tuh draw that match too  ;D

Slovenia is a former Yugoslav country.  Since their separation they qualified for Euro 2000, World Cup 2002, and World Cup 2010.  They beat a highly rated Russia on their way to this cup....  Slovenia, Croatia, and Serbia are all former Yugoslav states with a tradition of football and football programs, a footballing culture, footballing infrastructure and accomplished players dating from way back when before they were recognized as independent states.  They might claim a history and tradition of football and football development that runs alot deeper than the U.S.A.

Europe and South America still dominate global football, but there are match ups which woulda been foregone conclusions 25 years ago, that are more interesting now.  The globe is getting "smaller" and more players from other parts of the world are getting more opportunities to play at higher levels in Europe. 30 years ago Costa Rica wasn't rubbing shoulders with Germany the way they did in WC 2006.  Senegal couldn't dream of beating France in World Cup match 25 years ago...Ivory Coast as a potential World Cup dark horse in the 80's?  There are many examples are plentiful...It's not yet consistent but it's natural that the rate of development of the underdeveloped (from a footballing perspective) would be faster than that of the already established because there is alot more room for improvement...and that is why the gap has closed... how significantly is another argument- but teams like T&T and Honduras going to the WC and not collecting 10 like El Salvador did in WC 1982 are signs that the gap is closing.

The mere fact that we're even having this discussion speaks volumes.   

yea palos ah man rip yuh up here.. plain talk bad manners.. usa was robbed

1]; } ?>