March 28, 2024, 02:14:46 PM

Author Topic: Ish Galbaransingh in jail.  (Read 63949 times)

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ish Galbaransingh in jail.
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2011, 06:25:11 AM »
uuuuuuummmmm......all yuh know today is the last day for the AG to appeal the Ish and Steve case??......hhhhhhmmmm....... :thinking:  We live in interesting times......

He go forget. He hadda deal with de "alleged plot on the PM life"
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #121 on: November 24, 2011, 07:22:02 AM »
I remember a song from sesame street called 'Do you know what's going to happen next ' The picture is even clearer now.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 24, 2011, 07:37:11 AM »
uuuuuuummmmm......all yuh know today is the last day for the AG to appeal the Ish and Steve case??......hhhhhhmmmm....... :thinking:  We live in interesting times......

He go forget. He hadda deal with de "alleged plot on the PM life"

Ah miss someting?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 24, 2011, 06:07:19 PM »
Well the day has ended and as far as I know an appeal was not lodged with the courts....so I guess dais it then.....Uncle Sam have to haul he arse!!.....aye, well yes......

Well played Cowboy X, well played....and people still defending this government......dis same one that sooooo concerned about crime dey put we under lock down......no wait, Ish and Steve never put ah gun in nobody face so I guess de gov't really fighting crime after all........

Loud wet firetrucking steups!!!!....... :bs: :cursing: >:(
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
I hope Steve and Ish thank their defence team...including Anand Ramlogan.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 26, 2011, 10:43:02 AM »
Now talking to meh Father and he tell me people sit down waiting for the AG statemenet on why the Judge did not enforce the Extradition and instead they hear about some plot to assinate the PM.  :yellowcard:

They want to know if the AG mad.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 19, 2011, 11:37:08 PM »
I hope Steve and Ish thank their defence team...including Anand Ramlogan.

Yep. I really hope they thank their defence team

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2011/12/20/ag-not-appealing-ish-steve-matter

Attorney General Anand Ramlogan has decided not to appeal the decision of a High Court judge to quash the extradition of businessmen Ishwar Galbaransingh and Steve Ferguson. He made the announcement late yesterday evening in a press release, mere minutes after the deadline for the State’s appeal had lapsed. In making the announcement, Ramlogan said after consultation with international extradition expert, James Lewis, QC, he felt an appeal would not “advance the ends of justice”.

Ramlogan said: “One does not appeal for the sake of appealing. “Although there may be certain aspect of the judgment which may be open for criticism, Lewis has advised that such criticisms may not provide grounds of appeal of sufficient gravity that would lead inexorably to an overturning of his decision. “I have come to the view that the ends of justice will be served by foregoing the exercise of the undoubted right of appeal and allowing the matters currently before the local courts to be proceeded with.”

On November 7, Justice Ronnie Boodoosingh in a 57-page judgment quashed the extradition orders which were signed by Ramlogan last year for both businessmen. In quashing the orders Boodoosingh noted: “It is declared that it will be unjust, oppressive and unlawful to order the extradition of Galbaransingh and Ferguson.”  Boodoosingh expressed the view that the right forum for trying both men would be in T&T.  On giving the judgment he granted the State a 42-day stay of execution to decide whether to appeal the judgment in the Court of Appeal. The period ended yesterday evening.

The document produced by Lewis, titled “Advice on Making an Appeal”, was obtained by the T&T Guardian in conjunction with Ramlogan’s press release. In the document, Lewis noted the five-and-a-half-year period of the extradition proceeding since their inception. Lewis advised: “The claimants (Galbaransingh and Ferguson) are well funded and determined to assert every possible right of appeal and have demonstrated their determination to do so at every opportunity.” In the document, Lewis predicted a further two-to-three- year period to complete appeals in the local Court of Appeal and London-based Privy Council. (But one doesnt appeal for appealing sake ent? Steups.)

Lewis noted: “In my opinion such a timeline is unacceptable on either scenario.  “The interest of justice must be paramount and a very important question is which course of action will result in the claimants being tried in a reasonable time. “These pragmatic points in my view outweigh the merits of a successful appeal,” Lewis ended. The men, former United National Congress (UNC) financiers, were wanted in Florida on a 95-count indictment, stemming from alleged misconduct in the construction of the $1.6 billion Piarco International Airport terminal.

Galbaransingh, owner of Northern Construction Group of Companies, is wanted on a 13-count indictment, including charges of money-laundering, involving US$1 million (TT$6.3 million) during the period June 19 to December 10, 2001. Ferguson, former Maritime General CEO, is wanted on an 82-count indictment, including money-laundering charges, involving US$3,255,345 (TT$20,508,673) alleged to have occurred from November 24, 2000 to March 28, 2002. In yesterday’s release, Ramlogan suggested it might be appropriate for the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) to reconsider criminal charges arising out of the terminal’s construction, a suggestion which was also made by Boodoosingh in his judgment.

“It is open to the DPP to consider again, an independent exercise of his discretion whether to reinstate charges in respect of conduct relating to CP 9 and CP 13 packages of the Airport Construction Project,” Ramlogan said. The duo currently face local charges of bid-rigging and conspiracy to defraud the Government of T&T, which stemmed from two inquiries (Piarco 1 and 11) currently before the Port-of-Spain Magistrates’ Court.  In January 2007, the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) discontinued some of the charges, pursuant to the US extradition request.

In making the statement yesterday, Ramlogan stressed his statement did not seek to make pronouncements on the ongoing criminal proceedings of the men currently before the courts. Galbaransingh and Ferguson are on $2 million bail each, which was granted by Boodoosingh last March, to cover their matters which are before the courts.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2011, 04:44:26 AM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

That's only because if I don't I'll either  :cursing: :cursing:  or  :'( :'(  *sigh* 

Ah was wrong like an "O" on the deadline date but the outcome is certainly not surprising......aye.  These people good yes......and dey serious bout crime......steups!!  Firetrucking jokers!!!.....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2011, 05:41:13 AM »
I will also do cartwheels when they start hanging people for murdering other innocent people,kidnapping and murdering also,then I will do cartwheels.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 20, 2011, 06:44:26 AM »
And they get vexed because the world ranks T&T as a money laundering haven and one of the most corrupt countries in the world.

By targeting 3 public cases, that could all have changed....Steve & Ish, Duprey and Warner.  These people responsible for $billions going missing, yet have the full protection of the government.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 20, 2011, 08:51:37 AM »
Dog bites man no news here.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

truetrini

« Reply #131 on: December 20, 2011, 07:38:19 PM »
I will also do cartwheels when they start hanging people for murdering other innocent people,kidnapping and murdering also,then I will do cartwheels.

How de big house with 2 bathrooms, one upstairs and one downstairs going?

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 21, 2011, 06:10:08 PM »
US disappointed in Ish/Steve outcome
Wednesday 21st December, 2011

The United States says it is disappointed in the outcome of the Ishwar Galbaransingh and Steve Ferguson extradition case.

This is stated in a release issued today by the US Embassy in Port of Spain and comes following a ruling which quashed the extradition.

In the statement, the US Embassy noted that the two businessmen were first indicted in 2005 in Miami Federal Court on numerous fraud and money laundering charges stemming from alleged bid rigging between 1996 and 2005 on contracts for the Piarco International Airport.

The Embassy said the United States has pursued their extradition since 2005.

It pointed out that extradition is a powerful tool for fighting transnational crime and is used by countries all over the world including the United States and Trinidad and Tobago.

The Embassy stated that the Government of the United States and the Government of Trinidad and Tobago have had a Bilateral Extradition Treaty in place since 1996 and acknowledged that the Governments have worked together closely to extradite suspects to both countries.

http://www.ctntworld.com/LocalArticles.aspx?id=36614&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=tthaveyoursay

uuuuummmm....I heard it being said on the radio that if Ish and Steve set foot in any US territory, they could be arrested??  Any truth in that??
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 21, 2011, 07:11:10 PM »
Well I would think that they could be. I woulda set dem up....chain dem up to go in de embassy and see wha happen.

Next ting..if they go to a country which has an extradition treaty with the USA.....can that country extradite them to the USA?

Online lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 21, 2011, 08:07:38 PM »
Well I would think that they could be. I woulda set dem up....chain dem up to go in de embassy and see wha happen.

Next ting..if they go to a country which has an extradition treaty with the USA.....can that country extradite them to the USA?

too bad extradition by abduction is borderline unethical/illegal...............steups
I pity the fool....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2011, 08:38:43 PM »
Brown gyul iz a good ting we sought out we visa. Doh loose yuh passport yuh hear.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 22, 2011, 06:06:37 AM »
Brown gyul iz a good ting we sought out we visa. Doh loose yuh passport yuh hear.

Yup. 

On a related note, how does the US normally treat with a snub like this??   For example, would they really start to move dread with VISA's and thing??
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2011, 09:03:39 AM »

Yup. 

On a related note, how does the US normally treat with a snub like this??   For example, would they really start to move dread with VISA's and thing??

I hope not. When my visa expire next year I go casually mention in de appointment..."yuh know....I was REAL dissapointed when Ish and dem get extradited boy.....hmmmm"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 22, 2011, 02:09:40 PM »

Yup. 

Well judging from meh friends in JA. Some MP's visa get revoke d US alledge that involve in illegal activity. I suttin bck and waitin 2 c what happen.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 23, 2011, 07:50:26 AM »

Yup. 

I hope not. When my visa expire next year I go casually mention in de appointment..."yuh know....I was REAL dissapointed when Ish and dem get extradited boy.....hmmmm"

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #140 on: December 24, 2011, 04:30:30 AM »
MAJOR HURDLES IN PURSUING ISH AND STEVE CASE
By ANDRE BAGOO (Newsday).
Saturday, December 24 2011

MERE days after the United States expressed disappointment over the outcome of failed extradition proceedings against businessmen Ishwar Galbaransingh and Steve Ferguson potential hurdles have emerged.

The Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions is finding the situation very challenging in mounting renewed proceedings against the men in the local courts.

Legal questions are now being raised in relation to two major charges — which have largely been forgotten—which had once been brought against the men in relation to two contracts tied to the Piarco International Airport project.

The charges–relating to contract package 9 and contract package 13—were dropped years ago by former director of public prosecutions Geoffrey Henderson (now a judge) in the local courts, on the assumption that the extradition proceedings would move forward in the United States. That never happened.

Now, there is uncertainty as to whether the current DPP, Roger Gaspard, can mount the charges afresh. The charges arguably overlapped with similar charges under US law which the men faced, and which had been the basis of the US’s extradition request.

The issue was noted by the High Court, in its recent ruling on the extradition, handed down last month.

In a 57-page ruling, Justice Ronnie Boodoosingh noted that Attorney General Anand Ramlogan, in ordering the men extradited, had taken into account certain submissions made to him by Gaspard.

According to Boodoosingh, “the DPP had noted that certain specified charges were discontinued.”

“Further, the DPP’s view, which the Attorney General accepted, was that any attempt to reinstate the charges previously discontinued would be met by a challenge of abuse of process, and that such a challenge was likely to be successful.”

“Further, the DPP said, given his position as a minister of justice, he would have found it difficult to advance that the charges could be reinstated,” Boodoosingh said in the ruling. In the judgment Boodoosingh also noted that Attorney General Anand Ramlogan, in arguing for the extradition to move forward, had cited the DPP’s representations.

“He (Ramlogan) then specifically referred to the DPP’s view that there was now no possibility of reinstating the discontinued CP 9 and CP 13 charges,” Boodoosingh said at paragraph 25 of the judgment.

In a short interview with Newsday yesterday, Gaspard said it was, in fact, possible for the old charges to be brought back. However, he said, that move would face certain “hurdles”.

Asked if it was possible for the CP 9 and CP 13 charges to be brought back, Gaspard said, “the answer is yes.”

Questioned over paragraph 25 of the Boodoosingh judgment which hinted that Gaspard had previously thought it was impossible to bring back the charges, Gaspard said, “that is the judge’s view. I was never of the view that it was not possible (to bring back the charges). It may face certain hurdles and might be subject of frustration. But I was always of the view that it was possible.”

Asked if he would expedite his consideration of the matter, Gaspard said, “I have too. In terms of apprising the public as to what is the way forward.” He said he was yet to determine how he will do this.

In the High Court ruling, Boodoosingh did not rule on the question of potential abuse of process claims, but argued that, “It is significant that when the then DPP, Mr Henderson, had discontinued the charges, it was expressly premised on the existing extradition proceedings. The notice of discontinuance stated this.”

Boodoosingh questioned the idea that the men could now argue abuse of process in the courts in order to block the dropped charges from being brought back.

“Throughout the history of the extradition proceedings, the claimants had advanced before several courts that the proper forum for them to be prosecuted arising from the Piarco Airport corruption scandal was Trinidad and Tobago,” he argued. “The fact that no court made a definitive finding on it is not of moment in this respect. The claimants had maintained throughout that they wished to defend any charges arising from their alleged conduct here. This is significant.”

“If what the present DPP suggested could happen, that is, that the claimants could now advance that any reinstatement of the charges would be an abuse of process, then it follows that the claimants would now have to mount a position contrary to what they had advanced throughout. For the claimants to do that, in itself, could constitute an abuse of process. It is by no means a foregone conclusion, as the DPP’s letter suggested, that a court would find a reinstatement decision to be an abuse of process.”

In the High Court ruling, Boodoosingh said the practice of charges being discontinued locally after a person was extradited, was not established. However, checks by Newsday note that at least in one case, that involving the 2008 extradition of persons charged with the murder of Balram “Balo” Maharaj, this is what reportedly happened.

The Attorney General has indicated that the state will not appeal Boodoosingh’s judgment.

In the judgment, the judge ruled that the Attorney General’s failure to entertain further representations from the men after he got representations from the US and the DPP, was unfair.

In remarks not central to his findings, Boodoosingh, however, further remarked that, “In Trinidad and Tobago we are all fully aware of the deficiencies in the administration of justice, and in particular the length of time which criminal trials take to be concluded.

However these factors cannot ever be a reason, whether consciously or subconsciously, to order the extradition of our nationals to other jurisdictions where the criminal justice system is allegedly more efficient and effective.”

The two men have already been committed to stand trial in relation to a set of charges which comprise the Piarco 1 case. However, there is as yet no indictment against them.

Some charges relating to the men, in what is known as the Piarco 2 inquiry, are currently pending in the Port-of-Spain Magistrates Court. But those charges are being challenged by the men’s lawyers who have made no-case submissions, which are due to continue on January 6, 2012.

Any renewed charges in relation to CP 9 and CP 13 could be subject to legal challenge as well, all the way to the Privy Council, lasting over a period of years.

The men were first charged in 2002.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 24, 2011, 11:24:14 AM »
And alyuh say the AG chupidy, look the man pull a master stroke.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #142 on: December 26, 2011, 07:20:36 AM »
AG: My conscience is clear Prosecute them in ‘Chadee-type court’
T&T Guardian Reports.

Attorney General Anand Ramlogan is calling on Chief Justice Ivor Archie and other stakeholders in the criminal justice system to convene a “Dole Chadee-type court” to prosecute businessmen Ishwar Galbarasingh and Steve Ferguson.

Speaking to reporters after distributing toys and school supplies in Phillipine on Christmas Eve, Ramlogan said the businessmen have not escaped prosecution because of failed extradition proceedings. In fact, Ramlogan said instead of continuing with lengthy court delays, the Government has paved the way for both men to have their day in court.

“We must respect the independence of our own court system and the administration of criminal justice. I don’t think the Government is worried in this matter. It is not that Ish and Steve have escaped. It is just that they have to be brought before a court of law in the quickest possible time,” Ramlogan said.

He added: “In fact, it is my hope that the Chief Justice and those stakeholders from the criminal justice system will convene a ‘Dole Chadee-type court’ on an ad hoc basis, having regard to the long meandering in this matter, and let the defendants have their day before a judge and jury. The time has come for that.” Ramlogan said the Government has spent more than $100 million since the businessmen were first charged in 2002.

“We would have spent more money and at the end of the day. If witnesses didn’t die there would have been fresh legal arguments on the grounds of the extent of pre-trial delay. At the end of it all, justice would not have been served,” Ramlogan said. He reiterated: “I think the criminal justice system would have taken a terrible blow and be brought into further disrepute if we had allowed this legal adventure to continue without any end in sight. The longest rope must have an end.

The defendants have not been freed. What we have done is to clear the way for them to have a fair trial before a judge and jury in a court of law and let justice take its course, according to law.” Ramlogan also denied a newspaper editorial which stated that he had allowed Ferguson and Galbaransingh time to launch a legal challenge when he made his decision on a weekend.

He said when he was appointed the defendants had already been promised, in the form of a written commitment by the former AG, time to prepare themselves for legal challenges. “Former AG John Jeremie said that they will be given seven days proper notice so that they can challenge the decision.

Our law is we must give them time to challenge before extradition, so whether I made the decision on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday, it simply did not matter,” Ramlogan said. He also denied that his refusal to appeal a high court judgment on the extradition issue had affected diplomatic relations with the United States. Ramlogan noted that T&T continues to share meaningful relations with the US. He also said that he was comfortable with his decision as he had acted in accordance with law.

“My heart is clean, my conscience is clear and my mind is satisfied because I acted in accordance with the law. It cannot make any sense to allow for legal adventures to continue in this matter where we have wasted almost a decade and spent more than $100 million in T&T with not a single day in court,” Ramlogan said.

Regarding recent comments by Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Roger Gaspard that it would be challenging to pursue a case against the businessmen, Ramlogan said he had full confidence in T&T’s legal statement and did not want to comment further on the case as it was exclusively in the domain of the DPP.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #143 on: December 26, 2011, 07:30:35 AM »
No extradition to US for Ish, Steve
T&T Express Reports.

tuted a gift, there was no violation of the Integrity in Public Life Act by the Prime Minister.

"There has been no suggestion that the use of the Gopaul property was in the nature of a fee. I am also satisfied that it was not a gift," Martin Daly, one of the hired senior counsel, stated. The other attorneys in separate opinions concurring with this view were Russell Martineau, Allan Newman and Fenton Ramsahoye.

Nevertheless, the Attorney General, after a one-week review of the bid and tender documents, stopped the whole contract evaluation and award process, citing several deficiencies in the procurement process as the major reason behind his decision.

The matter was also reported to the Integrity Commission and the Prime Minister reported to the nation that the commission rejected a complaint made by People's National Movement Senator Fitzgerald Hinds and ruled that she was not in breach of the Integrity in Public Life Act when she stayed at the private home of the Gopauls following the May 2010 election.

FIU affair

The body which is designed to allow the country to treat with "big fish" in the international drug trade was at the centre of yet another controversy.

Opposition Leader Rowley contended that the appointment of Susan Francois to head the Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) was "illegal and improper" because the Attorney General had gotten involved in the appointment process.

Rowley told Parliament that a panel from the Ministry of Finance interviewing persons to fill the vacancy got a call and the interview process was stopped. He added that Francois, who never applied for the job, ended up getting it. And Rowley contended that the Public Services Commission's authority to select and appoint a Director had been usurped.

The Attorney General countered that former FIU head, David West, who had previously worked under contract to the Ministry of the Attorney General John Jeremie, was improperly appointed and had signed as Director of the FIU when he was in fact not, and that the PNM had allowed all of this.

PSC chairman Christopher Thomas said the law governing the appointment of the FIU was "ambiguous".

The Government brought a bill to Parliament which, among other things, provided for the validation of the actions performed by certain officers on behalf of the FIU since its creation. Francois remained in the position while the PSC readvertised the position. Michelle Ann Austin placed first on the order of merit list by the commission, beating the incumbent Francois by almost 200 points.

But the Prime Minister vetoed the recommendation of the commission to have Austin appointed. The Prime Minister stated that it was Finance Minister Winston Dookeran who advised on this course of action. The Prime Minister said Dookeran objected to the appointment of Austin, citing the efforts of Francois in Trinidad and Tobago's removal from the dark-grey list to the light-grey list by the Financial Task Force Organisation (FATF).  "The appointment of a new director at this time will be inappropriate and will add great uncertainty to the current efforts of Trinidad and Tobago to comply with FATF requirements," Dookeran's letter stated.

"The Minister of Finance was of the view that the work of the present Acting Director was instrumental and critical. The veto was therefore exercised based on the representations made by the Minister of Finance, "Persad-Bissessar told the Parliament in September.

ISH AND STEVE

The political ramifications of the extradition matter involving UNC financiers Ishwar Galbaransingh and Steve Ferguson were evident in the latter part of this year as the two men won their long-fought battle to have the decision to extradite them to the United States quashed. Rowley saw the hand of the Attorney General guiding the process towards this conclusion, as delivered by Justice Ronald Boodoosingh's judgment. "I wouldn't term it a defeat for the Attorney General...if there is any defeat it is for justice in Trinidad and Tobago," Rowley said, commenting on the issue. Ramlogan labelled Rowley's statements  as "contempt of court". The Judiciary did not go this far, but severely chastised the Opposition Leader for what it saw as an unjustified attack on the judge.

Rowley apologised "unreservedly", saying he meant to take no issue with the learned judge and had never intended to cast any aspersion, innuendo or insinuation" on his conduct.

Rowley said his comments were directly "solely and specifically at the political directorate, particularly the Attorney General".

Rowley pointed out that the State had won every matter in this issue at the court with the attorneys hired by the former attorney general John Jeremie. He therefore questioned Ramlogan's decision to change counsel in the middle of the matter.

Ramlogan described as absurd Rowley's suggestion that his decision not to continue to retain the services of Douglas Mendes and David West in the extradition matter, and to hire new counsel, was designed to "throw away" the case. The Attorney General further stated that senior counsel Avory Sinanan and attorney Kelvin Ramkissoon were distinguished members of the bar and that the judicial review of the extradition decision was "a fresh matter".

The Attorney General last Monday announced that he had decided not to appeal the decision of Justice Ronnie Boodoosingh. Rowley's response has been to suggest that  this decision with respect to the fate of the party's financiers was made a long time ago. "When did he make that decision (not to appeal)? I want the Attorney General to know that I am not fooled," he said.

COP CHANGES GUARDS

The Congress of the People (COP) had a change of leadership from Winston Dookeran to Prakash Ramadhar. While it came after a heated campaign, the transition has been smooth. Ramadhar has since acted as Prime Minister. In fact the Cabinet reshuffle had caused ripples within the COP as Persad-Bissessar felt constrained to state that she had met with the then COP leader Winston Dookeran as well as deputy leaders, Ramadhar and Seepersad-Bachan, in an attempt to assauge the fears of the COP that it was disadvantaged and treated unfairly in the reshuffle.

One week ago, Ramadhar stated that he wrote to the Prime Minister calling for a meeting of all the parties. "The time has come to assess the performance of the Partnership and the government....While all of us agree that...the People's Partnership Government has achieved much and has made great strides in righting the wrongs of the past, much of the population is nonetheless frustrated", he stated. He cited "increasing racial tensions, the perception of unacceptable levels of corruption and a non-functioning partnership structure" as factors which were "undermining the credibility of the Government".

RE-EMERGENCE of MANNING and PANDAY

The year is ending on an interesting note. Patrick Manning, former prime minister, apologised to the nation, saying that his administration may have "disenfranchised" certain sections of the national community by its policies. "The people of Trinidad and Tobago may very well have thought that in me they would have found perfection. If that were the case, I could have said from quite early on, you had the wrong man. I am not perfect," he said.

Manning, who rarely talks in Parliament, has begun holding press conferences to comment on national issues. The question is consistently being asked whether Manning is positioning himself to take back the reins of leadership of the PNM. This amidst a conflict within the party over the use of the balisier tie. Rowley who has broken with the tradition of wearing the balisier tie to Parliament, wants it to be optional while others in the party want to the party to stick to tradition.

Meanwhile, Basdeo Panday is vowing to take back the party he founded because he said the membership is upset with the leadership of Persad-Bissessar.

Panday said he wanted no elected office, but had acceded to numerous requests from party members  who asked that he lead them in the struggle.

Is he clutching at straws or are people truly dissatisfied?

We await the new year to see how these questions are answered.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 26, 2011, 10:24:05 AM »
I DONT GO BOASTING ABOUT MY HOUSE AND WHERE I LIVE BUT I RESPONDED TO A TRINI WHO THOUGHT IT WAS OK TO TELL ME I WAS LIVING IN THE ARMPITS OF ENGLAND,that was the reason for my response.If you think its funny then I cannot help you with your sense of humour,I'll say again,I'll do cartwheels when they start hanging murderers in TT,to hell with what the USA wants,there are many teefin bastards that have been let off the hook all happily living right now in TT.There are many big people all free and happily moving about although they have been teefing over many years,when they catch up with them then yall can do many more cartwheels.Have a prosperous New Year,hope yuh had a nice Crimbo.

truetrini

« Reply #145 on: December 26, 2011, 03:55:06 PM »
jock strap ah Hengland...dais wha shepherds bush is...yuh damn wormwood scrubs graduate

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #146 on: December 27, 2011, 07:34:15 AM »
T&T Guardian Quote

"Persad-Bissessar also said she did not believe there would be any fallout in diplomatic relations with the United States over the extradition matter of Steve Ferguson and Ishwar Galbaransingh. “When the United States Attorney General was here a while ago, we spoke with him and he understood the situation,” Persad-Bissessar said.

She added that all matters related to the extradition matter would be handled by the AG. On Monday, Attorney General Anand Ramlogan decided not to appeal the decision of a High Court judge to quash the extradition of Galbaransingh and Ferguson. He made the announcement in a press release minutes after the deadline for the State’s appeal had lapsed."

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 27, 2011, 11:00:08 AM »
To be quietly swept under the rug.

Nothing to see here folks...  :whistling:

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Piarco airport cases to be dropped
« Reply #148 on: September 08, 2012, 11:23:02 PM »
Moral of story...when yuh tiefin...tief big.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2012-09-09/piarco-airport-cases-be-dropped

The biggest fraud cases in this country’s history—which saw billions of dollars in taxpayers money allegedly being pumped into the pockets of the United National Congress (UNC) financiers—are expected to be dismissed later this week. The Piarco Airport Development Project scandal has been ongoing for more than ten years and involves several individuals affiliated with the present Government. Two weeks ago, The Administration of Justice (Indictable Proceedings) Act 2011 was proclaimed by President George Maxwell Richards in a move to end preliminary enquiries in the local courts.

Certain parts of the act will come into effect on January 1, 2013. The President’s proclamation was gazetted on August 30
. With the act in effect, the Preliminary Enquiry Act has been replaced and nullifies the need for a preliminary enquiry to be held in relation to matters filed indictably.

However, the act bears a controversial clause—Section 34(2), which states: “On an application by the accused, a Judge shall discharge an accused if the proceedings were instituted prior to the coming into force of this Act and the trial has not commenced within seven years after the proceedings were instituted, except (a) in the case of matters listed in Schedule 6; or (b) where the accused has evaded the process of the Court and the trial on indictment has, for that reason, not commenced.”

It is this clause which will see the accused people in the Piarco Airport project having their matters dismissed. Contacted on the matter, Director of Public Prosecutions Roger Gaspard, SC, said he preferred not to comment, since the matter is before the courts. Several people have been charged in relation to the matter. Among those charged with fraudulent activities arising out of the construction of the airport are two ex-ministers from the UNC administration.

The accused—former finance minister Brian Kuei-Tung; former Works minister Sadiq Baksh; former chairmen of the Airports Authority Tyrone Gopee and Ameer Edoo; former client representative in the Ministry of Works at the airport project Peter Cateau; financial director Amrith Maharaj; Steve Ferguson, former Maritime Financial Group executively; and Ishwar Galbaransingh, chairman of Northern Construction Ltd; are involved in the Piarco II case.

The men are accused of conspiring between January 1, 1995 and December 31, 2001, to obtain contracts and payments totaling $1.6 billion during the construction of the new airport. Another case, labelled Piarco I, is also expected to be discontinued. Those involved in this matter are Kuei Tung; Russell Huggins; Maritime executives John Smith; Ferguson and Barbara Gomes; Galbaransingh and Maharaj; and businesswoman Renee Pierre.

They are accused of conspiring to convert more than $19 million under false pretences from the Airports Authority. Also facing charges are Panday and his wife Oma who were charged with corruptly receiving $250,000 from Galbaransingh and former Minister Carlos John on December 30, 1998, in exchange for allegedly giving Northern Construction, a contract for the Piarco Airport Development Project. Millions spent Millions of dollars have been spent on legal fees and also consultancy fees by the then PNM government to investigate and represent the State in these matters.

A Commission of Enquiry was established into the circumstances surrounding the construction of the Piarco project. Following which the Commissions findings were sent to the Anti-Corruption Bureau. In fact, financial investigative expert Bob Lindquist was retained to conduct a thorough investigation in the matter and several of his findings formed part of the evidence presented to the courts. The Linquist Report found the Airport project was a fraud on the public of T&T and an abuse of public funds.

According to the Lindquist report, the Piarco project began with six contractors and expanded to 13. Linquist investigations discovered instances of fraud—price fixing and bid-rigging, duplication of payment contracts, false invoices, conflict of interest and a host of other irregularities.

Queen’s Counsel and Senior Counsel were also retained by the State to prosecute the matters. Apart from which, numerous applications were filed in the High Court, when decisions made by presiding Magistrate Ejenny Espinet at the Port of Spain Magistrates' Court were not favourable to the accused. Extradition proceedings and the Piarco Inquiry Ironically though, two of the people involved in the Piarco cases— businessmen Galbaransingh and Ferguson based their extradition submissions as having cases pending in the local courts, and as a result ought not be extradited to the United States.

Galbaransingh and Ferguson are wanted in the US on a series of charges arising out of the construction of the Piarco project. Galbaransingh faced 13 charges, among them wire fraud, conspiracy to launder money and engaging in unlawful transactions. Ferguson faced a total of 82 charges, which included wire fraud and conspiracy to launder money. The offences are alleged to have occurred in the US, T&T, The Bahamas and elsewhere between September 1,1996 and December 31, 2005.

On November 6, last year, High Court judge Ronnie Boodoosingh ruled that the businessmen should not be extradited to the United States. Boodoosingh, presiding in the Port-of-Spain High Court, delivered a 57-page ruling saying that any move to have Galbaransingh and Ferguson extradited would be “unjust, oppressive and unlawful.” In his ruling, Boodoosingh said the lengthy proceedings against the businessmen have generated much public interest and comment.

The High Court judge said T&T was the correct forum to try the businessmen and quashed the October 9, 2010, decision of Attorney General Anand Ramlogan to sign the order of extradition for both men. Submissions provided by the businessmen through their attorneys contended that this country is the appropriate forum to try them, since the investigation started here in 2000.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 11:26:43 PM by Bourbon »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Piarco airport cases to be dropped
« Reply #149 on: September 08, 2012, 11:25:19 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2012-09-09/volney%E2%80%88blame-state

James Lewis, QC, upset
On December 19 last year, Ramlogan in a media release said he came to the view that “the ends of justice” will be served by foregoing the appeal, and allowing the criminal prosecution currently before the local courts to proceed. Ramlogan said he was basing his decision on the advice given to him by Queen’s Counsel James Lewis. However, sources say the advice provided by Lewis was misinterpreted and not an accurate reflection of the legal advice given.

Sources close to Lewis further say that shortly after Ramlogan’s December 19 announcement (to not appeal the decision of Boodoosingh that the businessmen be tried in T&T, based on the advice of Lewis), correspondence was sent from Lewis to Ramlogan, with Lewis expressing concern about the way his advice was misconstrued.

Sources say Lewis, who has in the past been retained by then attorney general John Jeremie under the PNM administration, was “taken by surprise over the announcement, since the advice given by him was not thoroughly reflected” in the statement issued by Ramlogan on December 19. Attempts to obtain a copy of Lewis’ advice from the Office of the AG were unsuccessful. Sources said due to Lewis being retained by Ramlogan he could not comment on the matter due to attorney-client confidentiality.

During a post-Cabinet news conference at the Diplomatic Centre in St Ann’s on December 29 last year, Ramlogan maintained that he made his decision based on advice from Lewis. Ramlogan explained that had he challenged  Boodoosingh’s order, and Galbaransingh and Ferguson  were extradited to the United States to stand trial, it was possible that it would take between eight and ten years for their matter to be heard. He said given that the alleged offences took place over a decade ago, and should an appeal take place, a time frame of three to five years could be added.

Ramlogan said it was based on these issues he chose not to appeal the extradition and his decision “cleared the way for the trial (local) to take place in the quickest possible time frame.”

The AG, Volney responds
Contacted at 9.30 am by telephone yesterday and asked to comment about the implications of the act on the Piarco matters, Ramlogan said he was in Jamaica attending a Caricom seminar. The AG then directed all questions to Justice Minister Herbert Volney. “The best person to speak with is the Justice Minister, since he is the one who piloted the act.” Ramlogan was then reminded by this reporter that the local charges against the businessmen were his reasons for not contesting their extradition—the last time being December 2011.

The AG did not respond.
Ramlogan was then asked whether he was consulted in the decision-making process since part of his duties as AG would include advising Cabinet on legal matters, given that he in his capacity as AG told the country as well as US officials that the businessmen will face justice in the local courts. The phone connection broke. Efforts to contact Ramlogan again were unsuccessful.

Volney: People with charges over ten years will benefit
When Sunday Guardian contacted Volney yesterday, he said the implementation of the Act “is not personal to anyone. “Anyone who endures charges over ten years will benefit with the exclusion of those who committed blood crimes (rape, murder etc.)” Volney said the initiative was a Government one and Ramlogan who acts as the “chief Legal” was adviser to the initiative which came from his ministry.

Referring to the cases including that of the Piarco fraud inquiry which will be dismissed as "dead wood” cases, Volney said due to the lengthy delays of the State getting its house in order for several matters, inclusive of the Piarco preliminary inquiry, blame should be placed squarely on the shoulders of the State for the matters going beyond ten years.

“At the end of the day, the State has a duty to prosecute people in reasonable time. The Privy Council gave a five year time-frame for convicted killers to have their matters dealt with...this is ten years we are talking about." Volney further said despite the State having its limited resources this should be no excuse for lengthy adjournments which is further exasperated by “the hiring of foreign counsel who are only available two to three times a year.”
  (Who doing that doh? The average poor man from on the street?)

Asked whether such a statement was fair, since at several Piarco hearings the accused through its defence were the ones delaying the commencement of the case, Volney said despite this, the State had a responsibility to ensure matters were heard in a timely basis.

What the Act States
Indictable matters will now go to a Master of the High Court by way of paper committal, where all the evidence and supporting documents will be filed in the Registry of the Supreme Court. Section 34 of the Act, which addresses “discharge on the grounds of delay,” states: “(1) Where proceedings are instituted on or after the coming into force of this Act and the Master is not, within twelve months after the proceedings are instituted, in a position to order that the accused be put on trial, the Master shall discharge the accused and a verdict of not guilty shall be recorded, except—
a) in the case of matters listed in Schedule 6; or
(b) where the accused has evaded the process of the Court.
“After the expiration of ten years from the date on which an offence is alleged to have been committed:
(c) no proceedings shall be instituted for that offence; or
(d) no trial shall commence in respect of that offence except,
(a) in the case of matters listed in Schedule 6;
or (b) where the accused has evaded the process of the Court,
where—(c) proceedings have been instituted;
(d) an accused is committed to stand trial; or
(e) an order is made to put an accused on trial, whether before or after the commencement of this Act, a judge shall, on an application by the accused, discharge the accused and record a verdict of not guilty if the offence is alleged to have been committed on a date that is ten years or more before the date of the application.”

The Charges

CARLOS JOHN and ISHWAR GALBARANSINGH:
On or about December 24, 1998, in the island of Trinidad and Tobago and elsewhere, being an agent, did corruptly give the sum of 25,000 pounds sterling to Basdeo Panday, an agent, as an inducement or reward for the said Basdeo Panday favouring or forbearing to disfavour the interest of Northern Construction Ltd in relation to its principal business, namely Construction Package 3 at the new terminal development project at Piarco Airport, a matter in which a public body, namely the Airports Authority of Trinidad and Tobago was concerned, contrary to Section 4 (b) of the Prevention of Corruption Act Number 11 of 1987.

BASDEO PANDAY and OMA PANDAY:
On December  30, 1998, did corruptly receive from Carlos John and Ishwar Galbaransingh the sum of 25,000 pounds sterling as an inducement or reward in relation to Construction Package 3 of the new terminal development project at Piarco Airport, a matter in which a public body, namely the Airports Authority of Trinidad and Tobago was concerned, contrary to Section 4 (b) of the Prevention of Corruption Act Number 11 of 1987.

THE CHARGES (March 23,2001)

BRIAN KUEI TUNG, former Finance Minister—(four counts) misbehaviour in public office; (five counts) corruption; (one count) conspiracy to defraud the TT Govt of $7M.

RUSSEL ORLANDO HUGGINS, former National Security Minister—(two counts) corruption; (three counts) aiding and abetting to commit misbehaviour in public office; (one count) misbehaviour in public office; (one count) money laundering.

ISHWAR GALBARANSINGH, businessman and UNC financier—(one count) money laundering; (two counts) corruption; (four counts) aiding and abetting to commit misbehaviour in public office; (one count) conspiracy to defraud TT Govt of $7M.

JOHN HENRY SMITH, CEO Maritime Group of Companies—(three counts) aiding and abetting to commit misbehaviour in public office; (two counts) corruption; (one count) conspiracy to defraud TT Govt of $7M; (one count) misbehaviour in public office; (one count) money laundering .

RENEE PIERRE, companion of Brian Kuei Tung—(one count) aiding and abetting to commit misbehaviour in public office; (one count) conspiracy to defraud TT Government of $7M; (two counts) corruption.

AMRITH MAHARAJ, Chief Corporate Secretary Northern Construction—(four counts) aiding and abetting Brian Kuei Tung to commit misbehaviour in public office; (one count) money laundering; (two counts) corruption; (one count) conspiracy to defraud TT Govt of $7M.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 11:28:53 PM by Bourbon »

1]; } ?>