March 28, 2024, 09:26:58 AM

Author Topic: Ish Galbaransingh in jail.  (Read 63934 times)

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
Re: Ish Galbaransingh in jail.
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2010, 08:29:34 AM »
This real sad yes, these men continue with charges hanging over their head while they seek to escape extradition constantly challenging constitutional law and international treaties. Simply becuase they have the financial resources to do so.

My question is, at what point really will these men exhaust every available legal recourse?
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2010, 11:14:44 AM »
This real sad yes, these men continue with charges hanging over their head while they seek to escape extradition constantly challenging constitutional law and international treaties. Simply becuase they have the financial resources to do so.

My question is, at what point really will these men exhaust every available legal recourse?

Yet men who suspected to be gang members could be held up to 5 days by police without a charge according to proposed legislation.

All animals equal yes.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2010, 08:08:13 PM »

Yet men who suspected to be gang members could be held up to 5 days by police without a charge according to proposed legislation.

All animals equal yes.

ENTTTTTTTTTT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2010, 04:49:00 AM »
Which chapter we on??.....ah cyar keep track no more.... ::)

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Ish__Steve_denied_bail-112356559.html

Ish, Steve denied bail
Christmas in jail for businessmen

By Denyse Renne denyse.renne@trinidadexpress.com

Attorneys seeking the interest of businessmen Ishwar Galbaransingh and Steve Ferguson yesterday failed to convince High Court Judge Andre Mon Desir that the men should be granted bail. As a result of this, the businessmen may possibly be spending the Yuletide season in jail.
Mon Desir, in a 39-page ruling, said the arguments presented by the businessmen's attorneys that circumstances have changed, warranting that the issue of bail be considered, were dismissed.
"The leave merely crosses the threshold stage and there were no radical changes. There are no new changes of circumstances, the application for a change in circumstances is dismissed, bail refused and the status quo remains as is," Mon Desir said.

Immediately following the ruling, Queens Counsel Andrew Mitchell told the court of his intention to appeal Mon Desir's decision.  Legal sources said yesterday the appeal would likely be filed as early as today, since attorneys representing the businessmen indicated yesterday that they were awaiting Mon Desir's written reasons to file their grounds.
In his ruling, Mon Desir described the matter as " time-consuming and undulating" with various twists and turns. He said the core argument used by the businessmen's attorneys centred around the change in circumstances following their June 15 incarceration.

Mon Desir said on this issue "it is not every new event which will trigger an application for bail, since most changes do not have to do with applications for bail".
Making reference to a series of legal authorities, Mon Desir said although new material was presented to the court the material presented must bear some relevance to bail. He said attorneys also argued that the men have been jailed for the past six months and this time may become extended after the State indicated its intention to petition the Privy Council, following the decision of Appeal Court Justices Wendell Kangaloo Allan Mendonca and Paula Mae Weekes, who ruled the judicial review application of the men be remitted to the High Court.

Attorneys had argued that due to the heavy workload of judges the men will not receive a hearing anytime soon. This ground was also dismissed, as Mon Desir explained that "a judge has already been appointed to hear the judicial review application and it is now up to them (businessmen) to see what pace the matter should proceed".  Mitchell questioned Mon Desir's decision, saying that throughout the bail hearing the Office of the Attorney General, which was represented by Senior Counsel Avery Sinanan, had indicated they were neutral in the matter. Mitchell said this could only mean the State did not object to the bail application and as such that matter should be addressed.
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2010, 07:46:37 AM »
Which chapter we on??.....ah cyar keep track no more.... ::)

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Ish__Steve_denied_bail-112356559.html

Ish, Steve denied bail
Christmas in jail for businessmen

By Denyse Renne denyse.renne@trinidadexpress.com

Attorneys seeking the interest of businessmen Ishwar Galbaransingh and Steve Ferguson yesterday failed to convince High Court Judge Andre Mon Desir that the men should be granted bail. As a result of this, the businessmen may possibly be spending the Yuletide season in jail.
Mon Desir, in a 39-page ruling, said the arguments presented by the businessmen's attorneys that circumstances have changed, warranting that the issue of bail be considered, were dismissed.
"The leave merely crosses the threshold stage and there were no radical changes. There are no new changes of circumstances, the application for a change in circumstances is dismissed, bail refused and the status quo remains as is," Mon Desir said.

Immediately following the ruling, Queens Counsel Andrew Mitchell told the court of his intention to appeal Mon Desir's decision.  Legal sources said yesterday the appeal would likely be filed as early as today, since attorneys representing the businessmen indicated yesterday that they were awaiting Mon Desir's written reasons to file their grounds.
In his ruling, Mon Desir described the matter as " time-consuming and undulating" with various twists and turns. He said the core argument used by the businessmen's attorneys centred around the change in circumstances following their June 15 incarceration.

Mon Desir said on this issue "it is not every new event which will trigger an application for bail, since most changes do not have to do with applications for bail".
Making reference to a series of legal authorities, Mon Desir said although new material was presented to the court the material presented must bear some relevance to bail. He said attorneys also argued that the men have been jailed for the past six months and this time may become extended after the State indicated its intention to petition the Privy Council, following the decision of Appeal Court Justices Wendell Kangaloo Allan Mendonca and Paula Mae Weekes, who ruled the judicial review application of the men be remitted to the High Court.

Attorneys had argued that due to the heavy workload of judges the men will not receive a hearing anytime soon. This ground was also dismissed, as Mon Desir explained that "a judge has already been appointed to hear the judicial review application and it is now up to them (businessmen) to see what pace the matter should proceed".  Mitchell questioned Mon Desir's decision, saying that throughout the bail hearing the Office of the Attorney General, which was represented by Senior Counsel Avery Sinanan, had indicated they were neutral in the matter. Mitchell said this could only mean the State did not object to the bail application and as such that matter should be addressed.

ENT CYAH CHECK DAT HIGH
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Die_Hard

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Free Ish & Steve!!! Free Ish & Steve!!! (I smell tee shirt sales...)
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2011, 08:45:30 PM »
Free Ish & Steve!!! Free Ish & Steve!!! (I smell tee shirt sales...)
.by Phillip Edward Alexander on Sunday, January 2, 2011 at 1:18pm.

Having dinner at my parents' house over the Christmas season, I was informed by my mother that my aunt (one of her sisters) is very upset at my published articles on the issue of Ish & Steve and their pending on again/off again extradition to the United States to face criminal prosecution for the crimes that they committed in that jurisdiction.

You see, it turns out that my aunt and her family are apparently very close with the Galbaransingh family and they (the Galbaransingh clan) know of my aunt's (unfortunate) relationship to me; they apparently expressed dismay to her that I would take such a strong position on the issue, obviously not taking into account that these are husbands and fathers of wives and children who miss them terribly and would miss them more if they were jailed in the United States for their crimes.

To be quite honest I hadn't even thought about the thing from that perspective, and now that it has been pointed out to me I feel rather ashamed that I was supporting a system of justice that would separate criminals from the rest of society at the expense of their families and loved ones.

Aghast at the revelation, I want to apologize not only to my aunt, the Galbaransinghs and the Fergusons, but to the families of each and every single prisoner behind bars anywhere in Trinidad & Tobago.

I am ashamed of our cold hearted system of justice that demands that the responsibility for crime against the people could result in punishment.

I want to apologize on behalf of our Prime Minister who ought to know or have known the implications of her borrowed 'If you do the crime, you will do the time' speech.

I want to apologize to criminals and ne'er do wells everywhere for our apparent insensitivity.

Had I known then what I know now I would surely have supported our Attorney General in his obvious position on the matter earlier and resisted writing on numerous occasions that, because they OUGHT to have known better, Ish & Steve need to be made examples of.

Based on this new way of looking at the thing it is quite obvious I was wrong in my earlier assessment and conclusions, and it is appearing patently obvious that we need to find better ways of punishing our officials who, having been appointed to National Office by dint of connections and contributions and who find themselves unable to resist the urge to steal and plunder, find themselves on the wrong side of the law.

I suggest that we start over.

We should open the jails and let all but the family-less go, tear up all case files of people with relatives, remove all existing laws from the books that would punish those guilty parties that have families and write new laws just for them.

Perhaps the Attorney general might want to look at consequences like bed without supper for a week on each count for white collar crimes, and for capital crimes like murder and rape, no dessert for two weeks enforceable by the police.

It is noteworthy to note that this would in no way affect the cases of ghetto people and black head chickens as they usually cannot tell who is related to who in the first place, and the general public need not be unnecessarily concerned; what is it they say about the heights of confusion being father's day  in Laventille?

Anyway, I am sure that it is not too late to right these wrongs, and I would like to thank everyone who helped me to see this the right way finally.

Can someone get in touch with Calder and let him now that it's safe to come back?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 08:11:07 AM by Die_Hard »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Free Ish & Steve!!! Free Ish & Steve!!! (I smell tee shirt sales...)
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2011, 10:08:50 PM »
Kaiso, Kaiso!!!!!!!!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2011, 10:43:45 PM »
This is the best sh!t I read in a long time.

Thread of the year and the year now start.

Més que un club.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2011, 12:30:11 AM »
Ish, Ferguson still await bail
Published: Tue, 2011-01-18 21:08
Indarjit Seuraj
Ish Galbaransingh and Steve Ferguson
http://guardian.co.tt/beta/news/2011/01/18/ish-ferguson-still-await-bail
The Court of Appeal, over the next few days, will consider an application for bail for the release of businessmen Steve Ferguson and Ishwar Galbaransingh. But as Chief Justice Ivor Archie stated, the application involved the question of whether the Appeal Court had the “jurisdiction” to grant bail for the men.
The application followed a decision by High Court judge Andre Mon Desir on December 22, 2010 to deny the bail.

Yesterday, a panel, comprising Justices Archie, Paula Mae Weekes and Alice Yorke-Soo Hon, reserved its ruling on whether Mon Desir was wrong to refuse bail. If that question is answered in the affirmative, the appellate judges will themselves contemplate on the granting of bail. Ferguson, former Maritime General CEO, and Galbaransingh, chairman of Northern Construction Ltd Group of Companies, are wanted in the USA to answer 95 fraud charges arising from the $1.6 billion Piarco Airport terminal project. Lawyers representing Attorney General (AG) Anand Ramlogan said if bail was to be granted, there should be “conditions” attached to it.

Avery Sinanan, SC, leading Kelvin Ramkissoon, informed the panel the AG was maintaining a “neutral” position, a position which Ramlogan took when the application was before Mon Desir last month. British Queen’s Counsel Andrew Mitchell, meantime, contended that primacy of the Constitution and the applicant’s right to liberty were ensured by the granting of bail. Mitchell, who is instructed by Rajiv Persad and Nyree Alfonso for Galbaransingh, said that placed an onus on the court. “This is a meritorious application and the court should bend over backwards,” Mitchell said. Fyard Hosein, SC, Sasha Bridgemohansingh, Rishi Dass and Karel Douglas represent Ferguson. Alfonso also instructs Hosein. (IS)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2011, 12:47:56 PM »
I just see a tweet that they get bail. Can anyone confirm ?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ish and Steve get bail
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2011, 03:21:41 PM »
I just see a tweet that they get bail. Can anyone confirm ?

Ish and Steve get bail
ctntworld.com

Businessmen, Ishwar Galbaransingh and Steve Fergusson have been granted bail after spending close to 10 months in prison.

Their application for bail was heard in the Port of Spain High Court before Justice Ronnie Boodoosingh who ordered an interim instant release.

However, the bail for the men have been increased from $1 million to $2 million.

Justice Boodosingh referred to previous arguments made in the Appeal Court including the length of time the judicial review of the Attorney General's decision to extradite both men will take.

The State did not object to bail.

However both men have been ordered to surrender their passports and report to the Four Roads Police Station on Mondays and Thrusdays between 6am and 6pm.

Both Mr. Galbaransingh and Mr. Fergusson are wanted in the United States on charges of money laundering and bid rigging stemming from the construction of the Piarco International Airport.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2011, 03:57:13 PM »
FINALLY, some justice.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2011, 07:45:14 PM »
well T&T sweet too bad yes...

when Uncle Sam wanted Dudus, the JA government didn't go after him until Uncle Sam started turning the screws and businessmen started getting their visas canceled.

The moneyed class of sweet T&T enjoys doing their shopping in New York and Miami, ah wonder if they willing to part with a vee-zay so Ish and Steve can galavant back home.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2011, 07:17:24 AM »
Ish and Steve now out of jail, return to court on May 10
By ALEXANDER BRUZUAL Saturday, April 2 2011

After nine months in custody, businessmen Ishwar Galbaransingh and Steve Ferguson were all smiles yesterday as they left the Maximum Security Prison in Arouca, to the arms of waiting relatives outside the prison.

Although smiling and looking in good physical condition, their stay in prison seemed to have taken a harder toll on Galbaransingh, than on his colleague. He left the prison yesterday with a full head of grey hair, from which he appeared older than usual.

The two former UNC financiers were granted bail Thursday morning at $2 million each by Justice Ronnie Boodoosingh in the Port-of-Spain Assizes. The surety of the businessmen’s bail was secured by properties owned by family members, and friends.

Galbaransingh and Ferguson were originally expected to be released Thursday afternoon.

However, apparent inconsistencies between documents from the court, and those in possession by the prison administration, had to be resolved first.

Unfortunately, the inconsistencies were discovered late in the afternoon while the men were being processed. Then it was too late for them to leave the prison, because at that time, the Registrar’s office at the High Court was closed. As a result, there was little that the attorneys for the two businessmen could do.

The attorneys for the two accused men had to wait until the opening of the court yesterday before their documents could have been properly processed.

At about 11.55 am, both Galbaransingh and Ferguson were seen exiting the Maximum Security Prison with a contingent of prison officers and family members.

They were then escorted into a waiting black Land Rover vehicle and driven off the compound.

Galbaransingh looked as if he had lost some weight, in addition to carrying a full head of grey hair.

The two men will next appear before Boodoosingh on May 10, during proceedings for judicial review against a decision by Attorney General Anand Ramlogan for the extradition of the two businessmen to the United States to face criminal prosecution.

Thursday was the first time that bail applications made by attorneys for the two men had succeeded since their arrest on June 15, 2010, after losing another lawsuit before the Privy Council. Previous applications, made in June, July and December of last year, were all shot down by the presiding judges — Justice Vasheist Kokaram; Justice Malcom Holdip; and Justice Andre Mon Desir respectively.

Galbaransingh and Ferguson, are wanted in the United States on bid-rigging and money laundering charges related to the Piarco Airport expansion project in 2001.

Attorneys Andrew Mitchell QC and Rajiv Persad appeared on behalf of Galbaransingh, while attorneys Fyard Hosein SC and Rishi Dass appeared on behalf of Ferguson. Nyree Alfonso is heading the instructing attorneys for the two parties.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

truetrini

Ish and Steve win case to get State docs
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2011, 09:27:15 PM »
Ish and Steve win case to get State docs
Monday 23rd May, 2011

Businessmen Ishwar Galbaransingh and Steve Ferguson won a victory in court today on their fight to block their extradition to the United States on fraud charges.

Both men are facing charges arising out of building of new terminal at the Piarco International Airport.

Their attorneys previously filed an application on their behalf seeking the disclosure of documents that may have contributed to the Attorney General's decision to sign the order for their extradition to the United States.

The State had objected.

However, today, a High Court judge ordered the State to disclose the documents.

The two businessmen, who are out on $2 million bail, were indicted by a US Grand Jury in Florida on several counts of fraud relating to the $1.6 billion Airport Terminal Project.

A legal source described today's ruling in the High Court as a victory for the two former United National Congress financiers, since it could prove to be an important factor in their case against their extradition.

Last October, Attorney General Anand Ramlogan signed the extradition order.

Mr Ferguson and Mr Galbarsingh have challenged the Attorney General's decision, arguing that they were already facing criminal proceedings in Trinidad and Tobago over the same project and should not be tried in the United States on the same charges.

That matter is to be heard in July.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2011, 05:10:14 AM »
Steups!!!  I fed up......
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2011, 08:28:25 AM »
Steups!!!  I fed up......

U very patient. I FED UP LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG TIME.

I just read d US take away a Govt Min  and he wife visa in JA allegedly becasue of d DUDUS saga. Cousin Obama eh ready 4 we yet wit d Ish saga.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2011, 06:35:21 PM »
give dem rope enough rope to hang them high in the sun to dry .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Ish bids for airport contracts
« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2011, 05:28:07 AM »
Ish bids for airport contracts
By Anika Gumbs-Sandiford (Guardian)

Businessman Ishwar Galbaransingh More than seven years after businessman Ishwar Galbaransingh was committed to stand trial for the Piarco Airport Inquiry, his company—Singh’s Auto Rentals Company Ltd— is attempting to win the bid for the $9 million car-leasing airport contracts. The contracts are to provide rented cars for the Piarco International Airport and the Arthur Napoleon Raymond Robinson Airport (formerly Crowne Point Airport). The contracts were tendered for six to eight weeks ago, Amrit Maharaj confirmed.

Tendering has been closed.Galbaransingh confirmed to Sunday Guardian yesterday that his company submitted tenders for both bids at the Airports Authority of T&T (AATT). “Yes, Singh’s Auto Rental Company Ltd is a tenderer. The company has been in business for the last 43 years. We submitted a two-envelope tender: one on technical specifications and one on pricing. In relation to Tobago, similarly we tendered for the vehicle leasing contract also and we submitted our tenders complying with every single requirement on the document,” Galbaransingh said yesterday. He indicated, however, that the company was being run by his children since he is facing charges.   

Sunday Guardian learnt that both contracts are for the leasing of 55 cars over a three-year period at a cost of $225,000 monthly. The Piarco International Airport contract is valued at $8.127 million for 44 cars while the Arthur Napoleon Raymond Robinson Airport (formerly Crowne Point Airport) contract is for ten cars at a cost of  $1.194 million. On March 30, Galbaransingh was granted bail with businessman Steve Ferguson after being incarcerated for nine months. It was Attorney General Anand Ramlogan who signed the extradition order granting the United States Government permission to extradite them in connection with fraud charges. Both men face a total of 95 charges relating to the construction of the controversial $1.6 billion Piarco Airport Terminal building. Both men have since appealed the extradition.

No-confidence motion against AATT chairman

Meanwhile, contention is brewing between the AATT’s Chairman Vaman Bajnath and board members. This became evident on Friday. Copies of the authority’s board minutes obtained by Sunday Guardian revealed that six board members moved a motion of no-confidence against Bajnath. According to the minutes, board member Gary Kalliecharan expressed no confidence in Bajnath to run the board effectively. Voting in favour of the motion were other board members—Dyanand Maharaj, Suresh Ramdial, Emile Baptiste, Diane Hadad and Ian Gomez. The other members—Felix Hernandez, Clyde Adams and Ruth van Lare voted against the motion.

Bajnath: I will give up my job for my integrity

When contacted yesterday, Bajnath refused to comment on whether a no-confidence motion was moved against him. Asked if he was going to step down as chairman, Bajnath replied: “I would not allow anything to come in my way that I think is unlawful. If I stand for something that I know is right I would maintain my stance. I would walk away from any job or anyone if my integrity is being comprised or if I know I am being taken for a ride. I would step down if I have to. “My integrity in life is most important to me and I always uphold throughout my life good business principles, and I uphold strong business ethical values and I am always working for the good of any company beyond the job I do.”

Asked if he was being pressured to make certain decisions, Bajnath only said: “My job is service to my country. My employees and a management team see me as a person to lead them with integrity. I am a very independent man. My goals are much higher in life than to get involved in foolishness. “The thesis that I am currently writing on is to improve the aviation in the Caribbean. I am not going to sacrifice my research for foolishness; I am definitely not going to do that. My integrity is first and foremost in my life and I would not surrender it for anything else.”

Devant: I thought Ish is in prison

Maharaj, when contacted by Sunday Guardian yesterday said: “I thought the airport authority deals with airports I did not know they renting cars. I have to investigate this. I asked the board to inform me what they are dealing with but I have any information as yet. “I know about the tension on the board and I am trying to guide them. I know nothing about the airport dealing with renting cars. Ish still around I thought he is in prison in the United States or Canada,” the Minister quipped.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

truetrini

Ish and Steve to be tried locally
« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2011, 12:51:07 PM »
S I understand there will be no extradition.  More to follow I am sure

truetrini

Ishwar and Steve will not be extradited to the US.
« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2011, 06:22:58 PM »
http://www.wintvworld.com/e-news/?p=9913

Ishwar Galbaransingh and Steve Ferguson will not be extradited to the US.

The decision came from High Court Judge Ronnie Boodoosingh

This after Attorney General Anand Ramlogan had called for the men to be extradited

The decision was handed down this afternoon in the POS High Court.

The judge in a 57 page ruling said it would be “unjust, oppressive and unlawful.”

The judge also ordered that the State pay costs to the businessmen.\

Attorney Avory Sinanan who sought the interest of the State asked that a 28 day stay be made on the decision, since he needed time to speak with the AG.

The businessmen had filed an application challenging the October 9, 2010, decision of Ramlogan to extradite them.

Galbaransingh and Ferguson are wanted in the United States on a series of charges arising out of the construction of the Piarco Airport project.

Galbaransingh faces 13 charges, among them wire fraud, conspiracy to launder money and engaging in unlawful transactions

Ferguson faces a total of 82 charges, which include wire fraud and conspiracy to launder money.

The offences are alleged to have occurred in the US,T&T, The Bahamas and elsewhere between September 1,1996 and December 31,2005.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ish and Steve to be tried locally
« Reply #111 on: November 07, 2011, 06:29:21 PM »
All animals equal.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2011, 07:57:54 PM »
All animals equal.

ENTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2011, 10:32:54 PM »
LOLLLLL

Wheyyyyy... nah!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2011, 05:45:06 AM »
Extradition quashed
By ALEXANDER BRUZUAL (Newsday).
Tuesday, November 8 2011

After a year of legal battles, yesterday businessmen Ishwar Galbaransingh and Steve Ferguson won their judicial review hearing against the decision of Attorney General Anand Ramlogan to sign extradition warrants against them on October 9, 2010.

The decision was delivered yesterday by Justice Ronnie Boodoosingh in the Port-of-Spain Assizes Third Court.

In a 57-page ruling, Justice Boodoosingh quashed Ramlogan’s decision saying that it was “unjust and oppressive.”

“The decision of the Attorney General to order the extradition of the claimants (Galbaransingh and Ferguson) to the United States of America is quashed. It is declared that the appropriate forum to try the claimants in relation to the award of contracts for the construction of the Piarco Airport is Trinidad and Tobago.

“It is declared that it would be unjust, oppressive and unlawful to order the extradition of the claimants and that (the) extradition is debarred by the operation of section 16(3) of the Extradition Act. Having regard to my clear finding on this issue I do not think it necessary to make an order of prohibition. The effect ought to be the same,” Boodoosingh informed the court.

When contacted by Newsday yesterday, the Attorney General indicated that he was aware of the judgment, however, at the time he was unable to say what his office’s next move would be.

“As of this moment, I have not seen the reasons of the learned judge as we have only just finished our National Security meeting. However, the Government respects the judge’s decision and shall act in a manner which is consistent with the judgment of the court.

But I also intend to speak to our legal advisers on the matter to analyse and discuss the decision to determine the way forward,” Ramlogan said.

Section 16(3) of the Act states that “The Attorney General shall not make an order under this section in the case of a person if it appears to the Attorney General, on the grounds mentioned in section 13(3), that it would be unjust or oppressive to return that person.”

As the decision was being read, both Galbaransingh and Ferguson could be seen smiling broadly at their lawyers — evidently happy at the fact that the decision had been in their favour.

Galbaransingh was represented by attorneys Andrew Mitchell QC and Rajiv Persad.

Ferguson was represented by Edward Fitzgerald QC, Fyard Hosein SC, Rishi Dass, Sasha Bridgemohan, and Annette Mamchan.

The legal teams for both businessmen were instructed by attorney Nyree Alfonso.

The State was represented by Avory Sinanan SC, Kelvin Ramkissoon, Sunita Harrikissoon and Deowattee Dilraj-Battoosingh. They were instructed by attorney Janelle John.

Following the decision, Sinanan requested from the court a stay of execution on the decision for the next 28-days so that the State could assess the ruling and then decide if they would be making an appeal.

“What the AG will now consider is whether or not to appeal the decision, so given the circumstances...we would request that a stay of execution be implemented so that we could have an opportunity to review the ruling. If an appeal is not to be pursued by the State, then we will inform the other side as such,” Sinanan explained.

After further submissions, Justice Boodoosingh granted the State its request. As a result, the High Court Judge indicated that the bail for the two men will continue as fixed (at $2 million each). However, the condition that they report to the Four Roads Police Station would be removed.

Orders for costs by the claimants for the proceedings need to be filed on or before December 15. The responding submissions by the defence (the State) need to be filed by January 16, 2012.

Galbaransingh and Ferguson are accused of conspiracy, wire fraud, money laundering and bid- rigging in relation to two construction packages for the Piarco Airport construction project.

The charges indicated the alleged acts took place in the United States and elsewhere between 1996 and 2001.

Ferguson alone is wanted on an 82-count indictment, including charges of laundering US$3,255,345 ($20,508,673) between the period November 24, 2000 and March 28, 2002.

Galbaransingh is wanted on a 13-count indictment, including charges of laundering US$1million ($6.3 million) between the period June 19, 2001 and December 10, 2001.

They are charged in accordance with Sections 44, 45 and 46 of the Proceeds of Crime Act 2000. A United States grand jury returned the indictment against the two on November 29, 2005.

Charges against Galbaransingh and Ferguson in the local courts were discontinued, in favour of prosecution in the American courts.

Six foreign nationals have already been sentenced for their roles in the bid-rigging scheme.

The men benefitted from an almost 50 percent reduction of the penalties as part of a plea bargain arrangement with the US officials, and received jail time, were house arrested and were ordered to pay fines and atonement to the TT Government.

However, despite the ruling, the two businessmen will return to court on Friday as the Piarco II preliminary inquiry continues at the Port-of-Spain Magistrates’ Court before Magistrate Ejenny Espinet.

Galbaransingh and Ferguson are charged along with former Finance Minister Brian Kuei Tung, former Works and Transport minister, Sadiq Baksh, former chairmen of the Airport’s Authority, Tyrone Gopee and Ameer Edoo, Peter Cateau and Amrith Maharaj.

On June 15, 2010, both Galbaransingh and Ferguson were arrested after the State had learned that their bail had expired. Following this, attorneys for the two men spent the next nine months making bail applications. On March 30, 2011, at their third attempt, the attorneys were able to secure bail before Justice Boodoosingh.

Previous applications, made in June, July and December of last year, were all shot down by the presiding judges — Justice Vasheist Kokaram, Justice Malcom Holdip, and Justice Andre Mon Desir respectively.

They were expected to be released on the same day, however, administrative problems led to their release on the following day.

Steve Ferguson, leaving court being freed of extradition charges yesterday.
Author: KEITH MATTHEWS

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 09, 2011, 06:40:19 PM »
When contacted by Newsday yesterday, the Attorney General indicated that he was aware of the judgment, however, at the time he was unable to say what his office’s next move would be.

“As of this moment, I have not seen the reasons of the learned judge as we have only just finished our National Security meeting. However, the Government respects the judge’s decision and shall act in a manner which is consistent with the judgment of the court.

But I also intend to speak to our legal advisers on the matter to analyse and discuss the decision to determine the way forward,” Ramlogan said.

Section 16(3) of the Act states that “The Attorney General shall not make an order under this section in the case of a person if it appears to the Attorney General, on the grounds mentioned in section 13(3), that it would be unjust or oppressive to return that person.”

Following the decision, Sinanan requested from the court a stay of execution on the decision for the next 28-days so that the State could assess the ruling and then decide if they would be making an appeal.

“What the AG will now consider is whether or not to appeal the decision, so given the circumstances...we would request that a stay of execution be implemented so that we could have an opportunity to review the ruling. If an appeal is not to be pursued by the State, then we will inform the other side as such,” Sinanan explained.

aaaaaahhhhh yesss Anand, the ball is back in your court now......well yes!!!   So uuuummm if this is not appealed, would it stand as precedent so that no other persons could be sent to foreign countries on extradition??  Or this just relates to these two??  And can the judgement be obtained by ordinary folks like myself??  I curious to see what makes circumstances in this particular matter so "unjust and oppressive"....

Ah next thing.   If they never get extradicted, the US would just have to dismiss the case and call that George??  Enquiring minds want to know.... ???  :-\
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #116 on: November 10, 2011, 06:01:10 AM »
Rowley in contempt?
Law body concerned about extradition remarks
Thu, 2011-11-10
Richard Lord (Guardian).

Dr Keith Rowley The Law Association will hold an emergency meeting today to discuss a comment made by Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley on the Ish Galbaransingh/Steve Ferguson extradition matter. Sources said yesterday that the Law Association was very concerned about Rowley’s claim that the ruling was a defeat for justice in T&T. During a news conference at his Charles Street, Port-of-Spain, office on Tuesday, Rowley was asked if the ruling was a defeat for Attorney General Anand Ramlogan.

Rowley said: “I wouldn’t term it a defeat for the Attorney General...if there is any defeat, it would be for justice in Trinidad and Tobago.” Ramlogan responded yesterday, saying with respect to the extradition matter he has pursued and executed his professional and statutory duties in accordance with the laws and Constitution of T&T.

He said in a press release that he sought the opinion and views of external leading counsel in T&T and the UK before deciding whether to issue the extradition warrants. Ramlogan said he respected the judgment of the courts of T&T and any suggestion that he had acted for his own or for any other purpose inconsistent with his role as Chief Law Officer was “not only irresponsible but is an outrageous suggestion.”

He said he was seeking independent legal advice from senior counsel in London “to examine whether the comments made by Dr Rowley amount to defamation.” Ramlogan further stated that Rowley’s comments “may well constitute contempt of court in so far as his comments ‘scandalise the court’ with the intention of interfering with the administration of justice and upon which the Attorney General is seeking further advice.”

Ramlogan said these were matters for the consideration of the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) and the Law Association. He said he intended “to formally bring these matters to their attention for immediate action.” He stressed the judicial process in T&T  “is wholly independent of the executive and beyond reproach.” The extradition order for businessmen Galbaransingh and Ferguson was quashed by Justice Ronnie Boodoosingh on Monday. They are wanted in the US to answer money laundering charges.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2011, 06:37:47 AM »
Wow, defamation ? Well yes !

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2011, 05:08:40 AM »
ROWLEY UNDER FIRE
By Jada Loutoo (Newsday)
Friday, November 11 2011

THE JUDICIARY has strongly condemned statements attributed to Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley for his response to the ruling of a High Court judge who quashed the decision to extradite former UNC financiers Ishwar Galbaransingh and Steve Ferguson.

In a strongly worded statement, the Judiciary expressed “its abhorrence of the innuendos by the Leader of the Opposition of collusion between the judge and by extension, the Judiciary, and the Attorney General of Trinidad and Tobago in the decision which was arrived at and handed down in the court.” Noting it was gravely concerned by the statements, the Judiciary said since there has not been any denial, to date, by Rowley, one can only conclude that the assertions were accurate.

At a media briefing at the Office of the Opposition Leader in Port-of-Spain on Tuesday, Rowley, when asked to comment on Justice Ronnie Boodoosingh’s decision to quash extradition proceedings against the two men, which occurred on the same day Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, announced the lifting of the curfew order imposed during the current state of emergency, said he found “the intervention to be timely.”

Rowley also made reference to Attorney General (AG) Anand Ramlogan, alleging it was Ramlogan who facilitated the whole process.

“The Judiciary respects the right of every citizen to express disagreement with and even criticise the rulings of the courts.

However, the imputations of motive and even wrongdoing on the part of the judge in Dr Rowley’s statements are not only outside of the bounds of respect and objectivity that should attend the exercise of those rights, but also represent an unwarranted and unjustified attack on the judge and are additionally potentially injurious to the administration of Justice in Trinidad and Tobago. This is even more disturbing when such comments emanate from an official who is pledged to uphold the Constitution and the laws of the country,” the Judiciary said.

In its statement, the Judiciary gave the assurance of its “continuing commitment of the institution and its judges to a fiercely independent judicial system in Trinidad and Tobago.

It also said it “will not be sidetracked from this mission by unfortunate statements such as those by the Leader of the Opposition on Monday.”

Rowley has found himself in hot water over his statements on the ruling delivered on Monday by Justice Boodoosingh and angered members of the legal fraternity.

Contacted yesterday, Rowley told Newsday he would not comment until he sees the statement issued by the Judiciary and only then would he respond. The Law Association is expected to meet on the issue, according to its president Dana Seetahal SC. The Judiciary’s statement came after Ramlogan sent letters to Chief Justice Ivor Archie, Director of Public Prosecutions Roger Gaspard and Seetahal calling for action to be taken. Ramlogan also said the statements attributed to Rowley gravely concerned him.

In his letter to the Chief Justice, Ramlogan said Rowley’s comments “can only be taken to mean that the court was corrupt.”

He said it was an outrageous suggestion that it was implied that the judge had been “bought or influenced extra judicially.”

“Criticism of a judgment is a fundamental right and I do not seek to curtail it. However, a statement that the court is corrupt hits at the integrity of the Constitution, the proper administration of justice and the honesty of a distinguished judge. It is the more pungent if it comes from the Leader of the Opposition, giving, as it does, an apparently authoritative platform to a scandalous and unsustainable attack,” Ramlogan said.

He added that the separation of powers was “a cornerstone of our rights, freedom and responsibilities under the Constitution.”

“The independence of the Judiciary is the lifeblood of a free society; it should never be compromised or questioned without overwhelming and compelling evidence. A judge is in public service and cannot and should not have to respond himself to the type of accusation made by Dr Rowley. Such accusation brings the court system into disrepute and affects the independence of judicial decisions and the proper execution of court orders. The integrity of the court collapses and proper justice cannot be fairly administered. That is why one of the protections in a free society is the right of a court to maintain its independence and authority through ‘contempt of court’ proceedings.

“The jurisdiction applies not only to individuals but also to the executive; the citizen’s protection from capricious government,” Ramlogan said. He noted that on any definition of contempt, he has been advised that the nature of Rowley’s comments satisfied “the tests of scandal and seeking to both influence and interfere in the judicial process.”

“They stab at the very heart of the Judiciary’s independence, integrity, repute and effectiveness. They are of a type that constitutes criminal contempt, a matter that the Director of Public Prosecutions should immediately examine,” he said.

Ramlogan has asked that Rowley’s comments be withdrawn and that the Opposition Leader apologise to Justice Boodoosingh.

He told the Chief Justice, if the comments are not withdrawn, the courts were entitled and should summon Rowley for contempt to enforce the retraction and apology.

The AG has also said that the Law Association “must make its condemnation clear and the learned Chief Justice make his opprobrium plain.”

He said as Attorney General, he expected and was used to political criticism, but noted that the Opposition Leader went beyond attacking him by alleging a conspiracy between the courts and his office to subvert the courts.

Ramlogan also said Rowley’s comments have also cast aspersions on the integrity of the attorneys appearing for both sides in the extradition case.

“This type of commentary has to be stopped and the legal system must show resolve in dealing with it in the ultimate interest of the people and the Constitution that protects,” he said as he called on the Chief Justice to take “appropriate action.”

In a similarly worded letter to the DPP, Ramlogan urged him to immediately examine the Opposition Leader’s comments.

“Dr Rowley’s comments infringe the very structure of the courts and its judges, seeking to manipulate their independence,” he said, adding “This type of commentary has to be stopped and the legal system must show resolve in dealing with it in the ultimate interest of the people and the Constitution that protects them.” The DPP said he had not yet seen the AG’s letter and would respond after he has read it.

This has not been the first alleged attack on the Judiciary.

In 2006, the Law Association brought a motion of no confidence against former AG John Jeremie for statements he made in an address to the nation as he weighed in on the legal issue concerning former Chief Justice Satnarine Sharma.

In 2007, the then Leader of Government Business, the late Ken Valley, had to apologise in the House of Representatives for his informal cross-talk in which he criticised a judge as being a UNC “politician.”

The publication of Valley’s remarks on Justice Amrika Tiwary-Reddy (whose ruling had criticised Prime Minister Patrick Manning’s blocking of civil servant Feroza Ramjohn’s appointment to the TT High Commission in London) incurred the condemnation of former Chief Justice Sat Sharma and Valley subsequently apologised.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 24, 2011, 05:13:20 AM »
uuuuuuummmmm......all yuh know today is the last day for the AG to appeal the Ish and Steve case??......hhhhhhmmmm....... :thinking:  We live in interesting times......
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

1]; } ?>