April 25, 2024, 04:37:09 PM

Author Topic: WC 2010 - Match 20 - Group B: Argentina vs South Korea  (Read 9339 times)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: WC 2010 - Match 20 - Group B: Argentina vs South Korea
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2010, 07:41:46 AM »
My boy Higuain!!

Real Madrid 3- S.Korea 1
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2010, 07:42:28 AM »
Have to agree with PantherX's assessment of Korea. This was not a compelling effort. They were extremely tentative in delivering quality final balls, and even in their passing sequence (generally stated, ah can't think of a possession that led to 5 or 6 uninterrupted SK passes).

Although I think the Korean coach showed a deficiency, the pivotal moment in the match was the striker's insistence on kicking left rather than right footed. The left footed shot was more deceptive, but given the surface required to strike the ball  ... the right footed shot was ON and more straightfwd ... at 2-2 (ah doh see how he coulda miss!) de game woulda been on the right footing (no pun intended).

Regarding Korea:
As far as keeping, I think inexperience showed a bit here. It certainly showed in some of the defensive assumptions made about the likelihood of a second ball occurring. On two of the goals the defender was so frozen in the wrong place that when he reviews the footage he'll want to bawl. Lee Woon-Jae will probably get a sweat versus NIG and I think he should. Despite some acrobatics by today's kpr, ah eh feeling him.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2010, 07:50:47 AM »
I guess everybody going and jump off the Germany bamdwagon now onto the Argentina one. I hope Jai John could make room. Both teams Argentina beat are better than Australia and Argentina handle them. The only worries are defensive.

I was thinking that Tevez would have to get bench to have Maxi protect Gutierriez but it look like Maradona give Veron a rest instead. Veron have a hard time lasting 90 minutes in these games so maybe is better that they get used to finding a way to play without him.

But now Mascherano becomes more imoprtant and they have nobody in the squad to replace him if he pick up some cards.

I just hope that Maradona doesn't make too many changes for the Greece game and kill the rythm.

I should add though that in the friendly against Germany Argentina had success with 4 centre-backs in defence. They look good and Maradona said he would stick with it but the worry was that they get nothing from the wing-backs. Recently he switch to Gutierrez and Maxi and then even get more attacking with Gutierrez and Tevez. I could see Otamendi starting the next game for sure.

Germany's combination play across all sectors of the field is still more comprehensive and thorough. IMV Germany has still rendered the best rendition thus far.

Going into this WC Brazil had conceded only 1 item in a litany of games. This and the circumstances under which they scored adds 'value' to the NK goal. I place Brazil's rendition above ARG's for a number of reasons ... among them, SK was broken down today on the back of pure exhibitionism that followed a stroke of luck.

I place Brazil's rendition below Germany. The order: Germany, Brazil, Argentina ... Not going to comment on the Dutch.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 07:52:27 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2010, 08:02:06 AM »
One only had to observe his erratic behaviour on the touchline as his team beat Nigeria on Saturday to see how difficult the former Argentina No 10 finds it to be part of the background.

It was amusing, involved energy. Idiosyncratic but I hardly think erratic. Lehwe be #$#@$ serious?! Like de writer expected to see de man morph into Passarella. Steups.

The sight of Maradona leaving the field at half-time desperately trying to cajole and advise his players as they endeavoured to ignore him appeared to say much about the relationship between one of the World Cup's great icons and the team he is now trying to inspire.

DAM is a man deeply committed to our game. He really feels what wearing dem colours iz all about. De man passionate. With all de commentary, there's a kind of symbiotic relationship between the players and him ... He shows it. He needs it. They don't express it as often or in the same way. Fuh Diego this is a path to personal redemption, vindication and maybe even lehhing go personal demons. frankly, iz de vindication that prolly have him seeking out the players.

Heinze is a next man yuh could tell REAL into team. Always.

A talented and at times flamboyant team, there is a theory in South Africa this month that suggests that if the Argentinians succeed here in the coming weeks it will be despite Maradona's presence rather than because of anything he has brought his country's cause.

Not an Argentine theory.

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2010, 09:28:23 AM »
Licks pass fuh chine food.   ;D
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2010, 11:00:48 AM »
Yuh does see it in de celebrations and all. Maradonna go jump up to celebrate...everybody else hugging somebody...and he hadda turn and look for ppl to hug.....sometimes he does act like he tiefing a wine.

Like is really he against de world.

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2010, 11:16:31 AM »
There was a shot of him kissing a catholic amulet at the start of the second half. He's like a big kid with his heart on his sleeve. I don't have any issue with his passion. Furguson does still celebrate in big way. I remember the Champions League game against AC Milan at Old Trofford. The side up 3-0 on the night 6-2 on aggregate and he still jump up when the 4th goal score.

I question some of his decisions though , like leaving Cambiasso and Zanetti but bringing Veron.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2010, 11:20:24 AM »
I dont have an issue with his passion. I might be the same way or even worse. He tactics questionable yes...but.......the difference between a genius and a jackass in football is 90 minutes. After seeing that doh..i does just have to wonder how much support he does really get from those around him...or more specifically..how much confidence do they have in him.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2010, 11:30:34 AM »
One only had to observe his erratic behaviour on the touchline as his team beat Nigeria on Saturday to see how difficult the former Argentina No 10 finds it to be part of the background.

It was amusing, involved energy. Idiosyncratic but I hardly think erratic. Lehwe be #$#@$ serious?! Like de writer expected to see de man morph into Passarella. Steups.

The sight of Maradona leaving the field at half-time desperately trying to cajole and advise his players as they endeavoured to ignore him appeared to say much about the relationship between one of the World Cup's great icons and the team he is now trying to inspire.

DAM is a man deeply committed to our game. He really feels what wearing dem colours iz all about. De man passionate. With all de commentary, there's a kind of symbiotic relationship between the players and him ... He shows it. He needs it. They don't express it as often or in the same way. Fuh Diego this is a path to personal redemption, vindication and maybe even lehhing go personal demons. frankly, iz de vindication that prolly have him seeking out the players.

A talented and at times flamboyant team, there is a theory in South Africa this month that suggests that if the Argentinians succeed here in the coming weeks it will be despite Maradona's presence rather than because of anything he has brought his country's cause.

Not an Argentine theory.

doh take on that schupit article, notice its written by an Englishman..

If Argentina was to win the World Cup with Diego, his name would be etched in history. It is fully impossible to separate the coach and his players with success like that.

I questioning his tactics, his decision making and that flailing arms madness he doing on the sidelines aimed at nobody in particular but if it works and he gets results then more power to the madman.

NB: Just remember that when Argentina had a highly regarded tactician at the helm in the last World Cup, he tactically mess it up against Germany.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2010, 11:33:35 AM »
Pekerman's player selection was questionable last WC.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2010, 11:39:25 AM »
Pekerman's player selection was questionable last WC.

sometimes your eye does play tricks oui thought u wrote ......

Pokemon's player selection was questionable last WC.

I pity the fool....

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2010, 11:49:13 AM »
So far I rate Germany as best, followed by Argentina (they would have been #1) but their defence is a mess, and Brazil next. 

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2010, 12:19:53 PM »
Machareno will be out for the next game, I doubt Maradona will risk a second yellow, expect the very talented Pastore to step in.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2010, 12:20:14 PM »

Not an Argentine theory.

If Argentina was to win the World Cup with Diego, his name would be etched in history. It is fully impossible to separate the coach and his players with success like that.

I questioning his tactics, his decision making and that flailing arms madness he doing on the sidelines aimed at nobody in particular but if it works and he gets results then more power to the madman.

NB: Just remember that when Argentina had a highly regarded tactician at the helm in the last World Cup, he tactically mess it up against Germany.
:rotfl:

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2010, 12:33:16 PM »
Yuh does see it in de celebrations and all. Maradonna go jump up to celebrate...everybody else hugging somebody...and he hadda turn and look for ppl to hug.....sometimes he does act like he tiefing a wine.

Like is really he against de world.

Maradona tiefing ah wine...  :rotfl: ooooo guuuuuuud....  :rotfl: allyuh is tears
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2010, 01:28:44 PM »
Machareno will be out for the next game, I doubt Maradona will risk a second yellow, expect the very talented Pastore to step in.

I thought yellow cards were wiped clean after the first round?

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2010, 06:03:20 AM »

Not an Argentine theory.

Omar right in saying that is a shit article.

Maradona is revered in Argentina in general but even more than that among the players he played with who absolutely loved him. He was the perfect example of the giving player who made everybody else better. Now to have this former player who could easily coast or be detached be so enthusiastic about the team he is coaching is very inspirational.

To say that success would be despite him would be to tell a lie. Argentina was winless for a long stretch in qualifying before he took over. They definitely were not going to qualify if Basile did not resign.

Also I don’t think Cambiasso is a big miss. He was playing in that winless side and nobody missed him when he was dropped. He looks good for Inter because he is always playing with another holding player and in a side where they defend from the front. Mascherano is a better player.

As for Veron, the only issue I have is that Riquelme would have been better but Riquelme has a screw loose and choose not to be there.

Zanetti I would have taken, although he too plays better for Inter than Argentina and even Pekerman leave him out last time
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2010, 06:07:15 AM »

Would like to see Pastore but he is more of a Veron player than a Mascherano. Even against Greece that is tempting fate. He better off trying out one of them central defenders like Garce in the role.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2010, 05:36:35 PM »
And just to further rubbish the anti-Diego rhetoric....

Mascherano: We're all playing for Diego

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/798665/ce/uk/&cc=3888?ver=global

Argentina midfielder Javier Mascherano has revealed that while coach Diego Maradona may have courted considerable controversy with some outrageous comments in front of the cameras, he is an unquestionably popular figure in the dressing room.

Maradona has previously stated his belief that Mascherano is as important to the team as Lionel Messi and the rest of Argentina's galacticos, and the Liverpool midfielder feels that his coach would do anything to protect his players.

"The way you saw Maradona hug us after the South Korea game is the way he behaves normally," says Mascherano, the Liverpool midfielder who is the subject of intense scrutiny about a potential move to Inter Milan where his former club manager, Rafael Benitez, has just landed. "Away from the TV cameras he always embraces us and this is important."

Mascherano and his team-mates have all but assured a second round berth and have the luxury of a five-day break before their final group game against Greece.

Hence the relaxing workout at their Pretoria headquarters on Friday when you would not have known for a moment how close they came to being eliminated in qualifying.

Mascherano, on a yellow card, could miss the final group game against Greece to avoid possible suspension and whatever the result - barring an absolute disaster - Argentina will progress.

"We are all confident that we can win the title," Mascherano said. "We feel strong working with and for Diego. We don't worry about other teams but we do realise that any opponent can make life difficult for you. It's all about going step by step."

If there is one criticism of Argentina it is that they can be too offensive. Just occasionally their defence looked suspect against both South Korea and Nigeria but fortune favours the brave, says Mascherano.

"I don't feel that the team is unbalanced," he said. "I feel it's an advantage, because if you have so many players going forward the opponent will attack you less.

"We all need to keep our feet on the ground. Us Argentinians tend to go from euphoria to depression very quickly. Big teams grow while the tournament progresses."

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2010, 06:28:49 PM »

I thought yellow cards were wiped clean after the first round?
rule change. they wiping it clean after the quarter now to make sure nobody ent miss ah final because of two yellows in successive matches...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2010, 11:49:49 AM »
Still to bring our A game folks .... many players still to exhale on this team. I am looking to Javier Pastore to be the surprise selection on this team pretty soon. he is an aimar type player who brings quickness to the team. Veron is past his sell by date but is probably important in the dressing room.
For me Pastore is the spark that is needed to get the team firing on all cylinders . Thewy will have to be in the second round probably meeting Mexico or uruguay.
history is looking to repeat itself with argentina's opponents, if they progress, likely to be first Mexico then Germany ...some Deja vu here...
I wonder if folks saw the impacy tjhat " son in law, created when he came on ? Suddenly there was another Messi on the field to contend with . He runs straight at defenders and creates all sorts of opportunities for team mates ...Sergio Arguero is the real deal ...Romario rejuvenated as I have said for years ..
This option gives Messi more room ...and Arguero is comfortable on either foot. One only has to review the Europa to see how deadly he is.
I would rest Higuain ...he needs to look at the tapes to see how many more he should have scored already . It is difficult to rest a player who has just scored a hattrick though ...you want to keep the momentum going ...but brother he could make you cry !
Soi now all talk about Diego as a hopeless coach has ended ...... even the english have gone silent . The breadfruit on the rose brush is now looking like an astute tactician ...one who is able to go against all the theories with an attack configuration and mind set. One ball winner in Mascherano in support of some of the most deadly attackers in world football. How does he get it to work ...
Simple ...keep the ball . If we have it you cant score ..I was just reviewing the game vs. Serbia last Wc when in one sequence Argentina made 42 passes .... 42 consecutive passes against a team the  rated as among the finest in Europe !
Messi and Kun . supooirted by Tevez an the right and Di Maria on the left with Mascherano and pastore in the mid. Otamendi, Demichelis, Hainze and Burdisso in defence .
By the way ,,,the boat don sail already ..we full !!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2010, 06:27:22 PM »
Still to bring our A game folks .... many players still to exhale on this team. I am looking to Javier Pastore to be the surprise selection on this team pretty soon. he is an aimar type player who brings quickness to the team. Veron is past his sell by date but is probably important in the dressing room.
For me Pastore is the spark that is needed to get the team firing on all cylinders . Thewy will have to be in the second round probably meeting Mexico or uruguay.
history is looking to repeat itself with argentina's opponents, if they progress, likely to be first Mexico then Germany ...some Deja vu here...
I wonder if folks saw the impacy tjhat " son in law, created when he came on ? Suddenly there was another Messi on the field to contend with . He runs straight at defenders and creates all sorts of opportunities for team mates ...Sergio Arguero is the real deal ...Romario rejuvenated as I have said for years ..
This option gives Messi more room ...and Arguero is comfortable on either foot. One only has to review the Europa to see how deadly he is.
I would rest Higuain ...he needs to look at the tapes to see how many more he should have scored already . It is difficult to rest a player who has just scored a hattrick though ...you want to keep the momentum going ...but brother he could make you cry !
Soi now all talk about Diego as a hopeless coach has ended ...... even the english have gone silent . The breadfruit on the rose brush is now looking like an astute tactician ...one who is able to go against all the theories with an attack configuration and mind set. One ball winner in Mascherano in support of some of the most deadly attackers in world football. How does he get it to work ...
Simple ...keep the ball . If we have it you cant score ..I was just reviewing the game vs. Serbia last Wc when in one sequence Argentina made 42 passes .... 42 consecutive passes against a team the  rated as among the finest in Europe !
Messi and Kun . supooirted by Tevez an the right and Di Maria on the left with Mascherano and pastore in the mid. Otamendi, Demichelis, Hainze and Burdisso in defence .

Always remember there is fine line between a hero and goat or an arse or a jack-ass. Coming into this WC, I did not know what to think of Diego as a coach. If he did not qualify from the SA group he would have been the biggest chiva in buenos. Well he pass that hurdle. If they had tied or lose in SA the goat stench would have been plastered all over him. But his team scored. Just score baby, just score. That is what is important. Just win and you will a hero. Right to his supporters and waggonists, of course, Diego can do no wrong

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2010, 05:05:53 PM »

Always remember there is fine line between a hero and goat or an arse or a jack-ass. Coming into this WC, I did not know what to think of Diego as a coach. If he did not qualify from the SA group he would have been the biggest chiva in buenos. Well he pass that hurdle. If they had tied or lose in SA the goat stench would have been plastered all over him. But his team scored. Just score baby, just score. That is what is important. Just win and you will a hero. Right to his supporters and waggonists, of course, Diego can do no wrong

Let me remind you that when Brazil last won the world Cup they were the last team to qualify in CONMEBOL. They had to win their last game to qualify ... Man was not calling their coach chivo ....... If.. ?.....If ..?....now an argument that starts with that word can go anywhere ...so why not stick to what was rather than what might have been .. If he did not qualify ...if he did not beat South Africa ..thing is he did !
Dont try to limit Argentina to a team that is only scoring and not playing well ..as am I sure you know better.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2010, 06:22:55 PM »

Let me remind you that when Brazil last won the world Cup they were the last team to qualify in CONMEBOL. They had to win their last game to qualify ...

No they were not.  They finished 3rd.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2010, 08:05:12 PM »

Let me remind you that when Brazil last won the world Cup they were the last team to qualify in CONMEBOL. They had to win their last game to qualify ...

No they were not.  They finished 3rd.

For the 2002 qualifiers :.....At the end of the 17th round of competition Argentina had 42 points and was leading the standings. Ecuador had 30 points and was 2nd placed on goal difference. Paraguay had 30 pts to be 3rd. Brazil had 27 points. Uruguay had 26  and Colombia had 24.

the final round saw Brazil needing to beat Venezuela to get the 4th spot and sure qualifier. As it turned out Paraguay lost 4-0 to Colombia, uruguay drew ith argentina  and Brazil beat Venezuela 3-0 so Brazil ended up in third. Had Brazil lost or drawn that final game they would have had to face the play offs for the .5 place allotted to Conmebol.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2010, 08:27:32 PM »
People are not giving Argentina credit. The English press still makes snide comments about Maradona's past and they are very patronizing about his sideline enthusiasm. Everybody is waiting for the side to lose to lay blame at his feet despite the fact that he completely turn the side around and they look better and better with each game.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2010, 08:35:11 PM »
People are not giving Argentina credit. The English press still makes snide comments about Maradona's past and they are very patronizing about his sideline enthusiasm. Everybody is waiting for the side to lose to lay blame at his feet despite the fact that he completely turn the side around and they look better and better with each game.

well I think most people realise what you have just written .. but  it hard for some to admit. the team is getting better with each game . Imagine they made 7 changes today and brought on Palermo, Pastore and Boletti , three more new players and they did not skip a beat.  Virtually a whole new team and this might even be their most convincing performance yet.
But haters will be haters ...notice you eh hearing much bout luis fabiano double hands goal ?? 24 years later Maradona hands still starring ...more than the goal rated as the greatest world cup goal ever by FIFA..you tink it easy ?

1]; } ?>