April 23, 2024, 09:37:47 PM

Author Topic: WC 2010 - Match 32 - Group H: Spain vs Honduras  (Read 6855 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
WC 2010 - Match 32 - Group H: Spain vs Honduras
« on: June 21, 2010, 06:20:44 AM »
Spain-Honduras preview

Defeats in their opening Group H games mean that 21 June’s encounter between Spain and Honduras is now vital for both sides’ hopes of reaching the Round of 16 here at the 2010 FIFA World Cup™. The European champions were shocked 1-0 by Switzerland, while Los Catrachos lost by the same scoreline against Chile.

The match
Spain-Honduras, Group H, Johannesburg, Ellis Park Stadium, Monday 21 June, 20.30 (local time)

Stopped in their tracks by a magnificent defensive display from Switzerland, Spain will be determined to rediscover the route to goal and justify the favourites’ tag thrust upon them before South Africa 2010. Though coach Vicente del Bosque has so far kept his cards close to his chest, La Roja boss is expected to dispense with one of the two deep-lying midfield men that started against Die Nati and bring in an extra striker or attacking midfielder.

Over in the Honduras camp, supremo Reinaldo Rueda has had to replace key midfielder Julio Cesar de Leon with Jerry Palacios, brother of fellow squad members Wilson and Jhony. Meanwhile, Genoa striker David Suazo’s involvement remains in doubt, though he is making good progress in his recovery from a right-thigh injury. “We were beaten by the best and most difficult team in the group (Chile),” said Rueda, clearly unimpressed by the Spaniards’ opening display. “Honduras are capable of playing better (than against Chile).”

The teams’ only previous meeting came at Spain 1982, when La H were able to hold the host nation to a 1-1 draw in their first group game.

Players to watch
Fernando Torres (ESP) v Wilson Palacios (HON)

At the age of 26, Honduras’ biggest star Wilson Palacios comes into the finals off the back of an impressive season with English Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur. Though a defensive midfielder with his club, when pulling on the shirt of La Bicolor Palacios is handed the central Americans’ creative baton – one he will need to wield with more aplomb than against Chile if La H are to hurt Spain.

In lethal form for Liverpool this season despite lengthy and frequent spells sidelined through injury, ‘El Niño’ Torres is back to full fitness and could be called upon by Del Bosque to partner David Villa up front. Though unable to break down the rugged Swiss backline when joining the fray off the bench in Durban, Torres will be determined to make his mark should he get a chance against Honduras.

The stat
46 – The number of years to the day since 21 June 1964: the day Spain claimed the UEFA European Championship on home soil to lift their first major trophy. La Roja secured that title thanks to a 2-1 final win over the former Yugoslavia, with the goals coming from Jesus Pereda and Marcelino.

What they said
“I think that we need to give a better account of ourselves. Honduran players have a lot of quality and we have to make the most of that. That’s why I asked our coach if it’d be possible for us to play further up the pitch and send more players forward in attack, though I understand that we mustn’t lose our shape at the back. It’s always important to try and keep a clean sheet,” Sergio Mendoza, Honduras right-back.

“The important thing now is to stay true to our style of play, which is what has made us a winning team. We can’t afford to lose our heads, we need to keep doing what we’re doing and keep believing in what made us favourites. If we do go down, we’ll go down our way, and not because we started doing strange things,” Fernando Torres, Spain striker.

Voice of the fans
“This is a must-win game for Spain if they wish to go far at this World Cup. They’ve got the players and the style, all they’re lacking is that bit of luck which at the moment has been eluding them, but anything can still happen. In my opinion, given that Spain need to win at least 2-0, they’ll send out a very attacking team with Torres and Villa up front from the start and Cesc [Fabregas] in midfield. But there could be a lot of surprises in this game if we don’t get an early goal,” erniode, FIFA.com user (Spain)

The question
Which side will have boosted its chances of reaching the next round come the final whistle?
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: WC 2010 - Match 32 - Group H: Spain vs Honduras
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 06:23:46 AM »
Honduras is reppin for our region CONCACAF so I'm hoping they can squeeze a draw or even a win (if Spain is not at their best!)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 07:25:52 AM »
Honduras is reppin for our region CONCACAF so I'm hoping they can squeeze a draw or even a win (if Spain is not at their best!)

I hope so but I feel Spain will drop about 4 or 5 on dem.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 10:46:03 AM »

I hope so but I feel Spain will drop about 4 or 5 on dem.

CO-SIGN....that said, Go Honduras!!...
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 11:02:06 AM »
Spain going and choke again , watch and see  :devil:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 12:32:30 PM »
ah rooting for spain. when dey good dey good. dey should make xavi, david villa, iniesta, navas, david silva and pedro honorary smurfs.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 12:47:39 PM »
Villa just scored a candidate for goal of the tournament...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 12:47:39 PM »
Boom Bang

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 12:48:48 PM »
villa boy
I pity the fool....

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 12:49:16 PM »
Wow! Bessss goal by Villa!
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 12:52:13 PM »
Wow! Bessss goal by Villa!

Goal of the tournament  :beermug:

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 12:54:04 PM »
I love football.I love this month
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 01:05:12 PM »
Spain has an abundance of talent and neat football players but I could see how a disciplined, dogged (and lucky) defense could keep them at bay. They have a tendency to over work the ball in non-threatening areas of the field and then ultimately get it into the same wide areas over and over again, each time they go forward.  I'd like to see them work some one-twos on top the box, through the middle, and possibly utilize some more unorthodox passing patterns in different areas of the field.  Iniesta in the last game (seemingly not on the field today), and Villa seem the most inclined to switch it up....

Who say another 7-0?

;D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:06:43 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 01:27:40 PM »
Imagine that beast running down the left for Barca, with Messi down the right and then yuh have to handle Ibra in the middle.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 01:28:03 PM »
We (many CONCACAF nations) should focus on individual player development, and leggo the team concept. Once we insert an abundance of talent in the highest echelons of Europe, and have established ourselves as a source of quality players, we should return to the notion of building teams that offer a realistic chance at competing at senior international level.

Perhaps?

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 01:33:53 PM »
We (many CONCACAF nations) should focus on individual player development, and leggo the team concept. Once we insert an abundance of talent in the highest echelons of Europe, and have established ourselves as a source of quality players, we should return to the notion of building teams that offer a realistic chance at competing at senior international level.

Perhaps?

What motivated that brodda?
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
Hon vs Spa
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 01:34:53 PM »
I bet anything Costa Rica woulda beat up Spain.. Honduras shows they dont deserve to represent concacaf. shame shame shame.. they should be drafted into CAMEBOL

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 01:37:01 PM »

Perhaps?

Steups,
So your suggestion is that you get the stars first and then hope you can build a team?
How about this. You do the best with what you have. Sometimes it will be good, sometimes you will get licks.

This Honduras team is playing worse than they did in stretches of qualifying. Why that is, who knows. But they did the hard work to be there and earn the right to get licks. As long as is only 1-0 they still in this game though.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 01:37:47 PM »
Boom Bang

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 01:38:37 PM »
As I type that, Villa score again.

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 01:39:07 PM »

Perhaps?

Steups,
So your suggestion is that you get the stars first and then hope you can build a team?
How about this. You do the best with what you have. Sometimes it will be good, sometimes you will get licks.

This Honduras team is playing worse than they did in stretches of qualifying. Why that is, who knows. But they did the hard work to be there and earn the right to get licks. As long as is only 1-0 they still in this game though.

the touch of death boy
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 01:42:43 PM »

Perhaps?

Steups,

the touch of death boy

Yeah, I shoulda say this game beyond they reach. They should give up.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Hon vs Spa
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
Yuh right, they shoulda never get out of bed 2 years ago.

You shoulda never get out of bed either and make this excrement post.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2010, 01:48:59 PM »
easy game
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2010, 01:49:25 PM »
Se la perdio!  :rotfl:
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2010, 01:49:51 PM »

Perhaps?

Steups,

the touch of death boy

Yeah, I shoulda say this game beyond they reach. They should give up.

Like it wuk! He Miss!!!!

Honduras need to forfeit this game  ;D

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2010, 01:51:42 PM »
He hit it nice and crisp too.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2010, 01:53:13 PM »
Suazo lapse dey, he had angles to play 3 men clear into the box and instead take the shot.

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2010, 01:54:20 PM »
Se la perdio!  :rotfl:

SEEEEEEEE LAAAAAAAAA PEEEEERDDDIIIOOOOOOOOO  :rotfl:

boy i watching de game on mute and see de ref point to the spot... ah say to mehself quiet "penal penal penal"

i put on meh headphones.. de man still bawling PENAL PENAL PENAL....  :rotfl:
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2010, 01:55:32 PM »

Perhaps?

What motivated that brodda?

It's a deliberately provocative comment. Bitter, I don't really believe we should abandon team enterprises. What I am doing is underlining the gap ... nah CHASM that exists when one of the most fundamental situations in soccer occurs and "our" players are involved ... the 1 v. 1.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:58:26 PM by asylumseeker »

1]; } ?>