March 28, 2024, 09:26:47 AM

Author Topic: Anybody ever build patio or walkway  (Read 14051 times)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Anybody ever build patio or walkway
« on: June 24, 2010, 02:09:35 PM »
…or familiar with a lil construction skillz

Backstory:
I move in to this place in Aug 06..and 2 weeks later built a patio but because I eh know whey de ass I was doin I mix sand and concrete dust as a base and in beetween the patio stones as a grout..thinkin it will harden and last
After de first winter de hardened concrete start to crack and the square stone heave…4 years later it look REAL zug up

So now ah rip up de whole ting,,,and re-lay natural stone this time, what should I put as a grout/filler beetween the stones?
Scouring the net, Home depot and neighbours…opinions rangin from  stonesoil, jointsand, limestone gravel, marble pebble,screening dust etc etc

Is 2 weekends now I doin this, I just want to done dis wukk so ah doh hadda re-do NUTTN!! something that will drain rain, flex with the freeze /thaw cycle and go still hold de stone stiff.
Any suggestions..that somebody here actually had success with
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 08:22:08 PM by Tallman »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Re: Anybody ever build patio or walkway
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 03:33:22 PM »
Eh breds why you did not get a mexican to do a proper job for you .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 05:06:06 PM »
with the extreme in temps we have in the winter, this hard to call. I worked on some pavers before and it lasted a few yrs well. Used screening sand as the base, then laid the stones, worked in the sand in the crevices and used one of those "ramming" (don't know the actual name..kind alike a vibrator) to work the sand into every crease. Also helped to level out the brick pavers.

I think the base is important. there must be some sort of guide or code to follow as far as how thick and the material you use for the base (before adding the stone)

my neighbor did a wonderful patio area with natural stone, about 1-2 inches thick and from what I could tell, she did a sort of moss between them. looks real natural and works well with her garden.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 06:34:48 PM »
From the lil construction I does deal with....men does just level the dirt with a kinda compression machine.

Then put the bricks/pavers/stones.

Then empty the dry concrete on it...and use a broom and sweep the dry concrete into all the spaces.till all the concrete done evenly.

Then they turn on a hose and spray the entire thing with a fine mist of water just enough to make the thing run off the pavers and into the grout area. The water then settles and hardens the thing and well dais how dey does do it here.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 07:10:51 PM »
…or familiar with a lil construction skillz

Backstory:
I move in to this place in Aug 06..and 2 weeks later built a patio but because I eh know whey de ass I was doin I mix sand and concrete dust as a base and in beetween the patio stones as a grout..thinkin it will harden and last
After de first winter de hardened concrete start to crack and the square stone heave…4 years later it look REAL zug up

So now ah rip up de whole ting,,,and re-lay natural stone this time, what should I put as a grout/filler beetween the stones?
Scouring the net, Home depot and neighbours…opinions rangin from  stonesoil, jointsand, limestone gravel, marble pebble,screening dust etc etc

Is 2 weekends now I doin this, I just want to done dis wukk so ah doh hadda re-do NUTTN!! something that will drain rain, flex with the freeze /thaw cycle and go still hold de stone stiff.
Any suggestions..that somebody here actually had success with

Sand.  Just sand.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 09:14:57 PM »
Buy Mike Holmes book Dutty ,check it see if he talks about that first doh .

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 09:49:15 PM »

lol dais the answer right there!

Seriously though. yuh better off checking http://www.diynetwork.com/ than asking the gringos on this forum.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 06:00:37 AM »

:D.
it eh have dem kinda men up here boss

I have a bredrin livin just outside de ATL...he does scoop up dem fellahs every now and then and if you see he landscapin...ting dat man go spend multiple thousand$ up here to do, he pay dem fellahs like $100...nice nice work too.

de only men up here dat does do dem kinda wukk is italian and potogee....de quotes dem fellahs gih me..dem hadda mad out dey CM

anyway thanks to all de suggesers
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 10:47:27 AM »
Here's what you'll need to get started:
Brick...
Brick pavers are different from the brick used on house walls in that they are solid, i.e., without holes. Sizes vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but they generally come in 4' x 8', 3 5 /8' x 7 5 /8' and 3 3 /4' x 7 1/2'. Typical thicknesses run from about 1 1/4' to 2 1/4'. There are also many different styles to choose from, with each manufacturer carrying its own selection.

Sand... 
This is what holds the brick in place. Use only well-graded, washed concrete sand.

Crushed Stone...
This creates a strong base. It may be called different things in different parts of the country-gravel, road base, or crusher run. Whatever the name, the stones should range in size from about 3 /4' down to fine dust.

Border or Edging Materials...
(your choice)

1. Brick

2. Rigid plastic or metal specifically intended as edging material

3. Wood: 2 x 4 or 4 x 4 pressure-treated, or natural redwood

For wood, metal or rigid plastic, you’ll need metal spikes that are at least 8” long.

String and Wooden Stakes...
Used for aligning brickwork

Tools...
1. Flat shovel
2. Wheelbarrow
3. Garden hose with fine spray nozzle
4. Hard garden rake
5. Broad-blade chisel, brick splitter or masonry saw for cutting and fitting the brick (the last two are readily available for rent at your local rental store or brick distributor)
6. Carpenter's level
7. Wood "screed" strip- a 2 x 4, at least 3' long (used to create a uniform sand bed depth)
8. Electric drill and appropriate size bit (for wood edging only)
9. Trowel
10. Broom
11. Plate compactor (rented)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 10:48:39 AM »
Step 1...Determining How Much You’ll Need
Pavers (32" and 36" layout patterns at bottom of page)
1. Determine the square feet (length x width) of the area you want to pave.

2. Estimate the number of pavers needed:  For 4'x8' pavers- 4.5 pavers per sq. ft. For 3-5/8'x7-5/8' pavers- 5.2 pavers per sq. ft. For 3-3/4'x7-1/2' pavers- 5.1 pavers per sq. ft.
Add 5% extra for chipped or broken pavers.

Example: A 10' by 20' patio = 200 sq. ft. x 4.5 pavers/sq. ft. =  900 pavers
An additional 5% (900 x .05) = 45 pavers
Total needed so far = 945 pavers
Typically, you should also include an additional 1-1/2 bricks per linear foot of edge for cutting.

Example: linear footage = 10+20+20+10 = 60 linear feet
60 x 1.5 = 90 pavers
945 + 90 = 1035 total pavers needed for the job

Edging Material
1. Measure the linear foot of open edges- those not up against a house, curb, driveway, etc. This is the number of feet of edging material you will need. If you plan to edge with brick standing on end (soldier position), calculate one brick for each 4' of edge.

2. For wood or rigid plastic edging, plan on one stake for each 2 to 3 feet of edge.

Sand and Crushed Stone
1. The sand and crushed stone you will use in your project are measured in cubic yards (1 cubic yard = 27 cubic feet).

2. For any type of paving project, whether patio, walkway or driveway, you will always use a 1" depth of sand. To determine the number of cubic yards of sand, multiply the square footage by .00309.
Example: 200 sq. ft. patio x .00309 = 0.62 cubic yards of sand

3. The amount of crushed stone you will need depends on your type of paving project:
For light duty projects- such as walkways or patios-you will use a 4" depth of crushed stone. To determine the cubic yards of crushed stone needed to create a 4"base, multiply the total square footage by .01235.
For heavy duty projects- such as driveways-you will use an 8" depth of crushed stone. To determine the cubic yards of crushed stone needed to create an 8' base, multiply the total square footage by .02469.

Example: For a 200 sq. ft. patio, you will want a 4' base of crushed stone. 200 sq ft. x .01235 = 2.47 cubic yards of crushed stone.

Example: For a 200 sq. ft. driveway, you will want an 8' base of crushed stone. 200 sq. ft. x .02469 = 4.94 cubic yards of crushed stone.

(In areas of extreme wetness or severe freeze/thaw, you may need a deeper base. Consult your local brick distributor.)

32" and 36" Square Patterns

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 10:49:29 AM »
Seven Easy Steps to Installing Your Own Walkway, Driveway and Patio Without Mortar or Concrete!
(Part 3 of 5)

Courtesy of the Brick Industry Association
Step 2... Preparing the area (see site preparation graphic below)
1. Check with your local utility companies to determine the location of underground lines.

2. After you’re sure that the area you intend to pave has proper drainage (1/4" per foot slope away from foundations or other permanent structures), outline the area with stakes and string, and be sure to include the width of your edging material.

3. Use a flat shovel to remove only enough sod or dirt to provide a flat, level surface upon which to place the crushed stone base. It is important that dirt or excess soil that is removed and re-installed should be firmly settled with a plate compactor for an even base.

Step 3...  Installing the Base
1. After compacting the soil, place the crushed stone base into the excavation. Using a plate compactor, tamp down no more than 4" (depth) of base material at one time. This is a critical step-if not done carefully and thoroughly, the bricks will move over time.

2. The base material should be slightly damp when compacting.

Step 4... Framing the Borders
1. The border, or edging system, is necessary to insure that your brick paving remains firmly in place and stays beautiful for years. Begin by installing, but not anchoring, your edging. Experiment now with the pattern you've chosen by temporarily laying brick around the edge of the paving. (Note that complex designs, like herringbone, may require significant amounts of cut brick.)

2. Once you’re satisfied with placement, anchor the edging by driving spikes at least 8' into the base every 2 to 3 feet. For wood edging, drill holes and drive the spikes through the middle of the wood. For brick edging, dig a trench deep enough so that the top edge of the edging brick will be flush with the brick surface of your finished project.

3. One border can remain unanchored until final brick installation to insure a tight fit. Now, remove the bricks you temporarily installed.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 10:50:25 AM »
Step 5... Installing the Sand Bed
1. For a walkway or other fairly narrow project, use 1" outside diameter pipe or cut two wood strips to the desired height of sand (1"). Place them on either side of the paving area. For a wider project, like a patio, place the strips about 3 feet apart.

2. Now, fill the area with sand. The sand can be dampened with a fine mist of water prior to installation to eliminate voids.

3. After you pour the sand, use the pipe or wood strips as rails on which to run your "screed" board to insure a uniform sand depth of 1' (Figure A). Be careful not to walk in or disturb the leveled sand.

4. Remove the screed rails and fill the indentations with loose sand. Level with a broom or trowel.

Step 6... Laying the Brick Pavers
1. Start at a corner if possible, one that includes an edge such as a house, curb, sidewalk or other fixed edge. Lay one run of brick from the corner along the two adjacent borders (Figure B). Set the brick on the sand. Don't press or hammer them into place. They should fit snugly, with about 1/16'-1/8' gap between each brick. As you work, be sure to work from the laid brick, not the sand. If you disturb the virgin sand, re-level it with a broom or trowel before laying more brick.

2. Continue to lay the brick in your pattern, working from your starting corner to the unanchored edge (Figure C). With the original perimeter brick as a reference, put a string line across the front of your laying edge (every 2 to 3 feet) to maintain alignment (Figure D). If the pattern wanders somewhat, a trowel, screwdriver, or wide-blade putty knife can be used to make small adjustments. Don't be concerned with small gaps between the paving brick- you'll fill them with sand.

3. Be sure to check the level and alignment of the brickwork frequently during installation.

4. Once all the full brick have been installed up to the final, unanchored edge, cut or saw the remaining brick to complete the bond pattern-but insure that the final edge brick are no smaller than two inches in width.

5. Anchor the final border.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 10:50:50 AM »
Step 7... Finishing up
1. Inspect your work, making final adjustments in brick height and joint alignment. Then sweep dry sand into all the joints to lock the brick into place.

2. To further set the brick, you may want to use the plate compactor to set the brick and gently tamp it down. If a compactor is used, spread a layer of sand over your pavers to prevent contact between the brick and the compactor.

3. The sand you swept into the joints will gradually settle. You should sweep additional sand into the joints as necessary over the next few rainstorms until the bricks are fully stabilized.

Relax and Enjoy... (unofficially, Step 8)
This is the best part. Take a well deserved rest and feast your eyes on your own creation. You've completed a paving project that will enhance the value of your home and, since brick only looks better with age, you can enjoy for years to come.

For the bricks for your next paving project, and for expert advice and answers to all your questions regarding brick paving, visit your local brick distributor. You'll find them in the Yellow Pages under "Brick".

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 02:35:34 PM »
Soca Warrior.Net Construction Contsultant Co.!!!!!!!!!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 02:41:27 PM »
Soca Warrior.Net Construction Contsultant Co.!!!!!!!!!

ENTTTTTTT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 03:29:02 PM »
Couple years doing it when I was in heating/A/C/construction company in NJ.  The information above was good instrution for the DIY kinda person  :beermug:

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 07:49:46 PM »
Me and Chinee will work for pizza and beer  :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :rotfl:

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 03:09:26 PM »
Me and Chinee will work for pizza and beer  :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :rotfl:
Dais rich people food.
Wuh allyuh go do for 14 polorie and two box ah orchard?

how you rope in de man for labour wukk dry so?

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 07:28:11 AM »
Dais rich people food.
Wuh allyuh go do for 14 polorie and two box ah orchard?

how you rope in de man for labour wukk dry so?

He like de company  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline socachynee

• Sr. Warrior
  • goals win games
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 08:46:13 AM »
I redid mine last summer without filler between my 24 x 30 patio slabs
what a pain when dem ting shift
if I had the coin I pouring concrete

Offline chinee boi