April 19, 2024, 05:17:58 AM

Author Topic: WC 2010 - Match 59 - Quarter-finals: Argentina vs Germany  (Read 27233 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
WC 2010 - Match 59 - Quarter-finals: Argentina vs Germany
« on: June 27, 2010, 02:53:31 PM »
Match 59 - Quarter-finals - 03 July
Cape Town - Green Point Stadium

Head-to-Head

ARG:GER
wins 8:5
draws 5
goals 25:23

TEAM NEWS

Argentina coach Diego Maradona has no new injury concerns for Saturday's quarter-final against Germany.

Walter Samuel has recovered from a thigh problem but is not expected to displace Nicolas Burdisso or Martin Demichelis at centre-back.

Germany's counter-attacking prowess could persuade Maradona to replace winger Angel Di Maria with the more defensive-minded Jonas Gutierrez.

Maxi Rodriguez may again start in midfield ahead of veteran playmaker Juan Veron.

Germany are likely to field an unchanged starting line-up following the impressive win against England.

Lukas Podolski and Mesut Ozil are both expected to play despite missing training on Thursday. Podolski sat out the session due to a minor muscle problem, while Mesut Ozil was feeling unwell.

Striker Cacau is still suffering from a strained abdominal muscle, and is unlikely to be involved.

One booking from suspension: Bolatti, Heinze, Mascherano (Argentina); Friedrich, Khedira, Lahm, Ozil, Muller, Scheweinsteiger (Germany).

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

- Victory in the 1986 World Cup final is Argentina's only previous World Cup win in five matches against Germany or West Germany. Since the 1990 final they have met six times (including friendlies), with Argentina's only defeat coming in a penalty shoot-out at the last World Cup.

Argentina

- The Albiceleste have won all nine of their matches this calendar year and have won 12 of their last 13 games. Their only slip-up was a 2-1 defeat to Spain last November.

- Argentina have yet to draw a match under Diego Maradona. They have won 18 and lost five of his 23 matches in charge.

- Lionel Messi has had 23 shots at goal in South Africa but has yet to score. No other player has had as many shots without scoring at the tournament.

Germany

- Miroslav Klose's opener against England was the 12th World Cup goal of his career. Only Just Fontaine (13), Gerd Muller (14) and Ronaldo (15) have scored more at the tournament.

- Germany have never gone more than 20 years between winning World Cups - their last victory was in 1990.

- The Germans have won all four of their previous World Cup penalty shoot-outs, having beaten France (1982), Mexico (1986), England (1990) and Argentina (2006). The Argentines have won three of their four shoot-outs, defeating Yugoslavia and Italy (1990) and England (1998) before losing to the Germans four years ago.

Referee: Ravshan Irmatov (Uzbekistan)

Assistants: Rafael Ilyasov (Uzbekistan)

Fourth official: Jerome Damon (South Africa)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 01:31:18 PM by E-man »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: WC 2010 - Match 59 - Quarter-finals: Argentina vs Germany
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 02:54:35 PM »
Go GERMANY !!!!
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 03:02:45 PM »
Oh gosh boy E-man yuh firing on all cylinders!!!....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 04:42:44 PM »
this might be the game of the world cup, 2 teams that know how to attack but defence shaky as hell.

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 07:43:14 PM »
Go Albiceleste!
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 07:49:59 PM »
Go GERMANY !!!!

CO-SIGNNNN

Oh gosh boy E-man yuh firing on all cylinders!!!....

CO-SIGNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 07:57:15 PM »
A repeat of the 2006 meeting of the two ...argentina even had to overcome Mexico to reach this point just like last time...
Messi was a spectator then ...he wont be this time . Just a matter of time. I will remember how Rossi failed to score in the rounds but ended with 3, 2, 1 ...in the last three games when Italy won the cup.
Argentina must win 3 more to lift the cup...
Maradona is picking his team depending on the opposition...he mad ?? he mad yes !! he still doing crazy things in football .....now he has a student who can do what he would have done .....we shall see ...

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 08:43:08 PM »
Should be a good game

Is the Germany that dismantle England going to show up, or the Germany that was shaky in the Group Stage?

Is Maradonna gonna get another victory or is Crappo gonna smoke he pipe (and get high)  :devil:

Too close to call. Could go to penalties.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 11:34:45 PM »
Germany will break Argentina defence but Argentia midfield/frontline is the best in this world cup and will be too much for Germany in the end..I see a victory for Argentina in the Quarterfinal.

If Maradona win this world cup Pele will not be able to sleep for many nights   :devil:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 08:23:02 AM by Sando prince »

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 05:53:27 AM »
Argentina Campeon! Campeon del mundo! ARGENTINA CAMPEON!

3-1 sobre Alemania.

Equipo:
Shopkeeper: Romero
Defence:  Rodrigues/(Burdisso or Heinze)/Samuel/Otamendi

MF :  Mascherano/Di Maria/Pastore

Free roamer: Messi

Strikers : Higuain and Teves

Subs: Maxi for Pastore/ Millito for Higuain and MAYBE Veron or Gutierrez for Di Maria.

No way no how will Argentina fall for the German counter attack by having their central link/defence running
up to support the attack and leaving themselves exposed. They know they are too slow to cover. They also dont need to do this as the 2 wing backs are fit and can offer all the needed support.

Mascherano and the 2 centre backs will always hang back and they will almost always have a wing back with them as well. Otamendi is very capable and Rodrigues has Di Maria to play off.

3-1 mi seh!!!!

Argentina campeon del mundo.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 09:19:55 AM by willi »

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 06:46:42 AM »
Germany will break Argentina defence but Argentia midfield/defence is the best in this world cup and will be too much for Germany in the end..I see a victory for Argentina in the Quarterfinal.

If Maradona win this world cup Pele will not be able to sleep for many nights   :devil:

sando prince i feel u need ah bigger tv.... ;D argentina have de best defence?  that whole backline real shaky...so far i think portugal have the best defence, germany the best midfield and argentina the best forwards.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 08:19:32 AM »
Germany will break Argentina defence but Argentia midfield/defence is the best in this world cup and will be too much for Germany in the end..I see a victory for Argentina in the Quarterfinal.

sando prince i feel u need ah bigger tv.... ;D argentina have de best defence?  that whole backline real shaky...so far i think portugal have the best defence, germany the best midfield and argentina the best forwards.

I meant to say Argentina have the best frontline AND midfield not defence..Germany midfield is not better than Masherano/Messi/Veron...you will see soon

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 08:31:22 AM »

I meant to say Argentina have the best frontline AND midfield not defence..Germany midfield is not better than Masherano/Messi/Veron...you will see soon

i not counting messi as midfield, right now it looks like mascherano, di maria and maxi (until veron returns) in midfield and messi up front just behind tevex and higuain...if u were consider messi as a midfielder then yeah argentina has the best midfield....i think it will boil down to the defence that plays better.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 10:01:44 AM »
The key to Germany winning will be to keep Messi & Tevez quiet.  Argentina is playing well because their individual players are performing.  Mascherano is holding down the middle, Messi is causing all sorts of worries, Tevez is an animal and Higuain is lurking in all the danger areas to punish the mistakes... It's working for them, but as a unit, they have not looked solid and well coached compared to Argentina teams of the past...If Germany can manage that, and move off the ball like they did against England, Argentina will be forced to really play football and prove themselves.  Mexico could have been a good test, but the ref threw off the balance of that game. 

The key to Argentina winning will be to avoid collossal mistakes at the back, and for Tevez and Messi to continue doing their thing...This is not a tight, quick moving Argentina TEAM that we're used to- this is an Argentina squad of incredible individual talent, all of whom are fortunately (for them) in good form and Germany has not demonstrated a defensive strength that can keep those guys off the scoreboard for 90 mins. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 10:29:28 AM »
Argentina allows space in the midfield and all the teams that played against them were allowed to create opportunities. I think Germany is class above all those other teams and they will be prepared to capitalise. Germany is also not rock solid at the back so I expect a goals.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 04:01:43 PM »
In 2006, Argentina lost this game on a coaching error.. To take off Riquelme (and was it Tevez?) at a point when they were bossing the game, and use up the subs to boot leaving Messi on the bench proved to be disastrous..

But imo that Argentina side was better than this one. I still not convinced by Demechelis and the rest of the defence in the back and especially its left to be seen what Diego does at right back. If he mad enough to start Jonas Guitierrez there (and he mad enough to do that), Ozil will rip him a new one.

This will be a bess game.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 04:25:30 PM »

And Brazil de best team.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
It gearing up for a Argentina vs. Brazil Final
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 05:07:30 PM »
where diego armando maradona will raise the world cup along with his prodigy lionel messi  ;D

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: It gearing up for a Argentina vs. Brazil Final
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 05:30:12 PM »
where diego armando maradona will raise the world cup along with his prodigy lionel messi  ;D

Okay cool and we also waiting to hear where Hardest will fit into all this!  ::)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 05:32:00 PM »
what does hardest have to do with maradona and argentina, socapro yuh gone mad oui :devil:

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 05:44:06 PM »
what does hardest have to do with maradona and argentina, socapro yuh gone mad oui :devil:

The same amount as it has to do with the possiblity of Maradona & Argentina lifting the trophy after a Brazil v Agentina final!  ;)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 05:58:28 PM »

stueps, Germany waxing that

The same amount as it has to do with the possiblity of Maradona & Argentina lifting the trophy after a Brazil v Agentina final!  ;)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 06:20:19 PM »
Youtube Channel

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2010, 06:26:36 PM »

And Brazil de best team.

well said

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2010, 08:12:21 PM »
Maradona is picking his team based on his opponent. This eh England who picking de same team regardless of the opposition ! No one can predict Maradona's team ...he is keeping everyone guessing ...he eh play wid the same team twice yet.
If I was to try to pick an Argentina  team vs germany it would look like this ..
                        Romero
Heinze    Samuel   Otamendi    Burdisso

Clemente Rodriguez    Mascherano   Pastore   Tevez

Messi     Higuain
Pastore just waiting to show why he is here .....

Clemente Rodriguez would be the additional marker in the middle to counteract the fast break ...just as Alves is doing  for Brazil ..buh dais jess me .

AirMan

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2010, 01:09:32 AM »
Argentina will prevail..Tevez playing more like a beast everyday..and lets not forget about Igualin. Mascherano looking solid in midfield and these are the type of games Messi shows why he is above and beyond the rest of the world. It will be ah bess game lol

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010, 05:44:36 AM »
Argentina will prevail..Tevez playing more like a beast everyday..and lets not forget about Igualin. Mascherano looking solid in midfield and these are the type of games Messi shows why he is above and beyond the rest of the world. It will be ah bess game lol

I willing to bet that this will probably be one of the most entertaining games of the tournament.   Hard to pick a winner in this one....but ah need fuh Germany to win....(to make it easier fuh Brazil in the end)  :beermug:

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010, 05:48:48 AM »

I willing to bet that this will probably be one of the most entertaining games of the tournament.   Hard to pick a winner in this one....but ah need fuh Germany to win....(to make it easier fuh Brazil Holland in the end)  :beermug:

Ah fix it for you.... :devil: ;D
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2010, 05:56:18 AM »

I willing to bet that this will probably be one of the most entertaining games of the tournament.   Hard to pick a winner in this one....but ah need fuh Germany to win....(to make it easier fuh Brazil Holland in the end)  :beermug:

Ah fix it for you.... :devil: ;D

Yeessssss.....dize what ah want.....keep callin' holland name in yuh mout'.  Ah could feel de (reverse)obeah whukkin arready!  :devil: ;D

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

1]; } ?>