March 28, 2024, 03:42:38 AM

Author Topic: Best and most pleasant World cup Surprise (s)  (Read 15776 times)

giggsy11

Best and most pleasant World cup Surprise (s)
« on: July 04, 2010, 01:24:58 PM »
Since we have the biggest disappointment I thought I would create an opposite thread.

Germany and it's young but talented team and how they have dealt with all that have come before them.

Forlan elevating his game and his doing whatever it takes to contribute to the success of his country.

Ghana.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Best and most pleasant World cup Surprise (s)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 01:27:37 PM »
Many surprising results, Spain vs Switzerland, New Zealand vs Italy, Mexico vs France, Algeria vs England, Serbia vs Germany.
These results made the group battles more interesting.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 04:21:52 PM »
A real surprise to me is the great TV ratings in de USA. Ah mean is "soccer" in South Africa. Despite the Glen Becks, the interest is strong.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 04:31:07 PM »
Ayew. It's a pity he missed out on the quarter final through a dubious yellow card and even worse that his team lost.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 08:22:07 PM »
For me...it's a tie between Diego Forlan & Sami Khedira

Forlan still gets nowhere near the credit or recognition he deserves.  Mostly based on the below par time he spent at Man United.  He get written off as a shithong.  But Forlan is a serious player and he has shown that he belongs right up there with the best in the game right now, essentially taking this Uruguay team on his back.  I'm so happy for him that's he's shining on this the biggest of stages.

Khedira has seamlessly slotted into the Michael Ballack role with Germany and seriously.....there is an argument that instad of Germany heaping abuse on Kevin Prince Boateng for injuring Ballack causing him to miss the World Cup, they should be thanking him.  Because the possibility is great that Ballack, based on his form with Chelsea the past 2 seasons may not have been as effective as Khedira has been on this team.  A real compliment to the young man.

The other player who was a pleasant surprise to me has been Schweisteiger.  I thought he went missing the first 2 Germany games but in the games against England and Argentina, he's been the driving force of the German team.  Schweinsteiger literally ran through the Argentinian defence with impunity.  It's nice to see such a talented player mature on the big stage.

I read somewhere where someone said that Maradona concentrated so much on Ozil that he put Mascherano to man mark him, which was mainly effective because Ozil had a fairly quiet game, despite the wonderful pass for the 4th goal.  But the fact that Maradona surrounded Mascherano with De Maria, Maxi Rodriguez, and Messi, essentially offensive players, that it left Schweinsteiger the freedom of Cape Town to do as he pleased.  He practically destroyed Argentina.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 09:55:25 PM »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 12:24:10 AM »

Forlan still gets nowhere near the credit or recognition he deserves.  Mostly based on the below par time he spent at Man United.  He get written off as a shithong.  But Forlan is a serious player and he has shown that he belongs right up there with the best in the game right now, essentially taking this Uruguay team on his back.  I'm so happy for him that's he's shining on this the biggest of stages.

Khedira has seamlessly slotted into the Michael Ballack role with Germany and seriously.....there is an argument that instad of Germany heaping abuse on Kevin Prince Boateng for injuring Ballack causing him to miss the World Cup, they should be thanking him.  Because the possibility is great that Ballack, based on his form with Chelsea the past 2 seasons may not have been as effective as Khedira has been on this team.  A real compliment to the young man.

The other player who was a pleasant surprise to me has been Schweisteiger.  I thought he went missing the first 2 Germany games but in the games against England and Argentina, he's been the driving force of the German team.  Schweinsteiger literally ran through the Argentinian defence with impunity.  It's nice to see such a talented player mature on the big stage.

I read somewhere where someone said that Maradona concentrated so much on Ozil that he put Mascherano to man mark him, which was mainly effective because Ozil had a fairly quiet game, despite the wonderful pass for the 4th goal.  But the fact that Maradona surrounded Mascherano with De Maria, Maxi Rodriguez, and Messi, essentially offensive players, that it left Schweinsteiger the freedom of Cape Town to do as he pleased.  He practically destroyed Argentina.

Not sure why you surprised... Schweinsteiger essentially did the same thing four years ago in Germany.  Like Klose he's had tepid club campaigns since, but he's been a key cog in the German machine... the departure of Ballack forced Loew's hand and needing dynamism in the middle, Schweinsteiger, now Khedira... was the path thru which they opted to channel the German offense.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 04:35:19 AM »

have to agree with u there, esp forlan. The man dragged his side to the semis and maybe further.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 08:59:19 AM »
New Zealand....after watching them vs Bahrain I wrote them off as a shit side.

They exited the tournament without losing a match.

As a small side they rep extremely well.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 08:40:59 PM »
New Zealand....after watching them vs Bahrain I wrote them off as a shit side.

They exited the tournament without losing a match.

As a small side they rep extremely well.

CO-SIGNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 08:20:08 AM »

I agree with this piece. Ballack injury was a blessing is disguise. Was it not Ballack who was so critical of Low that the Federation made him publicly apologize
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 06:42:41 PM »
Uruguay surprised the shyte out of me especially because of the way they qualified etc. Forlan really elevated his game. I knew Ghana would have done well. They were my African team from the beginning. Too bad about that Uruguay business. I really wish Slovenia had gone further, they looked good to me.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 07:05:50 PM »

Agree 100% on forlan is ah boss.  Surprising to know he wanted to play tennis over football.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 07:11:06 PM »

Agree 100% on forlan is ah boss.  Surprising to know he wanted to play tennis over football.

He has the tennis look!!!! But he was great.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 07:46:39 PM »
 ;)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 05:13:42 AM »
Honda, the Japanese mid fielder not the car..... ;D\
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 06:13:10 AM »
Robben not getting injured..

oops...*jinx*  :devil:
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 11:20:33 AM »

Not sure why you surprised... Schweinsteiger essentially did the same thing four years ago in Germany.  Like Klose he's had tepid club campaigns since, but he's been a key cog in the German machine... the departure of Ballack forced Loew's hand and needing dynamism in the middle, Schweinsteiger, now Khedira... was the path thru which they opted to channel the German offense.

Neither Schweinstieger nor Khedira surprise me as individuals becaus ethey have not really been outstanding compared to the rest of the team. In each game yuh could pick any of Podolski, Ozil, Muller and Schweinstieger as the top performer. Loew is the surprise for me as he making perfect use of some good, yet not great players, and have them lighting up the tournament.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 12:30:48 PM »
Loew have dat team runnin like a well oiled machine. A lot of the credit has to go to him.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 02:37:36 PM »
Loew have dat team runnin like a well oiled machine. A lot of the credit has to go to him.

De oil clog today tho
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 02:40:32 PM »
Paul d octupus?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »

I guess he is a dunce like Dunga and Diego!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 03:03:17 PM »
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2010, 03:45:14 PM »
A new name on the cup.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 07:24:42 PM »
Neither Schweinstieger nor Khedira surprise me as individuals becaus ethey have not really been outstanding compared to the rest of the team. In each game yuh could pick any of Podolski, Ozil, Muller and Schweinstieger as the top performer. Loew is the surprise for me as he making perfect use of some good, yet not great players, and have them lighting up the tournament.

Loew did an excellent job of marshalling the largely unproven (on this level) talent on the team.  An even better job of getting as much out of a team of individual stars as he did... unlike Maradona.  I thought Schweinsteiger was solid... not spectacular... certainly nowhere as meteoric as he was in Germany 4 yrs ago.  I liked that he was able to assert himself in midfield in a manner for which Ballack was quite unsuited... and frankly, I'd be surprised if Ballack get's called up anytime soon.  Sentimental reasons may have led to his inclusion after South Africa, but his contributions are likely surplus given the play of the team.  His hissy-fit with Lamm over the captaincy only serves to further seal his fate... although you can't blame him for wanting the arm-band back once fit.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 07:40:02 PM »
The Best and most pleasant World Cup surprise for me is the fact that all the doomsday predictions about a crime ridden, terrorist targeted, tourist hell hole, disorganized, improperly managed, incomplete failure of the first World Cup in Africa have not seemed to materialize from all accounts.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2010, 07:44:34 PM »
The Best and most pleasant World Cup surprise for me is the fact that all the doomsday predictions about a crime ridden, terrorist targeted, tourist hell hole, disorganized, improperly managed, incomplete failure of the first World Cup in Africa have not seemed to materialize from all accounts.

Agreed...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/07/world/africa/07safrica.html?ref=soccer

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2010, 08:08:27 PM »
1- South Africa pulled off a (major) incident free Cup and made the continent proud.

2- Holland is in the final.  Least inspiring team in the final (that I can remember) since Argentina in 1990...Dutch quality has shone way brighter in World Cups past without reaching this far- football is a funny game I suppose. Kinda comes off like a not so pleasant surprise, but in it's own way it's cool because they're trying to shake a World Cup monkey and I'd say that this team was less likely than many before them to do it, so it's Cinderella-esque and it's exciting to know that there will be a first time winner.   

3- Forlan- Talent was never doubted but the footballing press dug him in a hole after his time at Man Utd.  I think he's re-written his own legacy in this cup- He was all business since the first game against France, and never looked back. Candidate for MVP IMO. 

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 08:26:37 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

1]; } ?>