March 28, 2024, 10:47:58 PM

Author Topic: It should be compulsary for TT Youth Footballers to Learn a 2nd Language  (Read 6571 times)

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
It is compulsory that TT Youth Footballers Learn Football

Football is a universal language. These fellas know very little when it comes to professionalism.

They don't eat, sleep, breathe football. Football for most ah dem is ah hobby they getting small change from.

The biggest criticism that our players get abroad is that they too laid back.

It hard enough to make alot ah people in T&T see the necessity in working hard, yuh really think yuh could make fellas take ah game serious ???

Ah professional environment is what is needed not only in football but it's needed in T&T on a whole.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Football is a universal language. These fellas know very little when it comes to professionalism.

They don't eat, sleep, breathe football. Football for most ah dem is ah hobby they getting small change from.

It hard enough to make alot ah people in T&T see the necessity in working hard, yuh really think yuh could make fellas take ah game serious ???

Ah professional environment is what is needed not only in football but it's needed in T&T on a whole.

:applause: clap clap clap

well said
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy

i guess i didnt state that in my opening which i should have, i assumed everyone would know this off the bat, that we need structural changes and planning that needs to be done in order to get the youths level up to par, but i believe part of the football education should include languages and business relations.

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Study the past if you would define the future"
    • View Profile
But languages is a part of it. As I said, they learn when they go off to Spain, Sweden, Saudi Arabia, Japan, China, etc. But the way you mentioned it in the beginning was for the TTFF to have to guys learn a language when they don't need to as they don't know where they will play.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
most countries in europe understand spanish, french or german. in schools there, learning more than one language is common place

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
It is much easier to learn a 2nd language when you are forced to speak the language due to the need to communicate and interact with others who speak the language. Sitting in a classroom and learning out of a book doesn't mean you will speak Spanish when you leave the classroom if you only interact with people who speak English.

yeah, like me, I have been "learning" spanish since ah was in form 2 and ah still cya speak it, ah could read and understand most part but won't able to communicate with ah real spanish person to save me life  ;D

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Study the past if you would define the future"
    • View Profile
most countries in europe understand spanish, french or german. in schools there, learning more than one language is common place

Europe is only one part of the world. They learn languages there because of the proximity of the nations closeby, NOT because of football.

And yeh, that's a common place, but that don't mean that Owen Hargreaves went to Bayern because he learn German or it help him in that way. Cristiano hardly could say anything in english before he went to Man U.
Players like Tevez still taking classes in England and can't speak the language. I use Tevez as an example because he is the most heard about player that doesn't know english despite being in England for almost 4 years.

Bottom line is that it would not define where you play. It may help if the player happens to go there, but football is so dynamic it should not be a priority nor mandatory.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Most countries in europe also understand English...

Offline Red Mango

• because football, does bring we together...
  • Sr. Warrior
  • We Comin'... Bless up!...
    • View Profile

But it's different... In Holland for example, the kids think "it's cool" to speak English, but around the dinner table with mama and papa, it's Dutch that is spoken... A 2nd language could help, even games and courses in Surinam are not really a bad idea seeing that it has such a "rich" footballing pedigree... everything is pretty close to us, we just need to look closely, at what's around us...

I'm not surprised though that we haven't tapped into or looked at these options for our future players' development...

We have (well, had, no man, HAVE) a good ting going, wid football in T&T... but, we could still push for better and more...

Jus' meh 2 cents...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 12:01:08 PM by bongonatti 11 »
I wanted to bring a different style to the team, to play the Trinbagonian way. Everald "Gally" Cummings

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

But it's different... In Holland for example, the kids think "it's cool" to speak English, but around the dinner table with mama and papa, it's Dutch that is spoken... A 2nd language could help, even games and courses in Surinam are not really a bad idea seeing that it has such a "rich" footballing pedigree... everything is pretty close to us, we just need to look closely, at what's around us...

I'm not surprised though that we haven't tapped into or looked at these options for our future players' development...

We have (well, had, no man, HAVE) a goot ting going, wid football in T&T... but, we could still push for better and more...

Jus' meh 2 cents...

Of what use is a second language if yuh football isn't good?  Conversely, who needs a second language if your football speaks for itself.  Does Javier Hernandez need to learn English before going to the EPL?  This whole "learn ah second language to improve yuh professional opportunities" talk is ass-backwards nonsense.  How much English Drogba know? 

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy

We have (well, had, no man, HAVE) a goot ting going, wid football in T&T... but, we could still push for better and more...

Jus' meh 2 cents...

i remember staying my cousins in amsterdam and they played poker in dutch, couldnt understand a damn thing  :D but they spoke 4 different languages.

the best players from suriname does end up in holland, bottom line, there are a few diamonds but they eventually end up in holland.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy

Jus' meh 2 cents...

Of what use is a second language if yuh football isn't good?  Conversely, who needs a second language if your football speaks for itself.  Does Javier Hernandez need to learn English before going to the EPL?  This whole "learn ah second language to improve yuh professional opportunities" talk is ass-backwards nonsense.  How much English Drogba know? 

we are assuming that they are good footballers bc and have been in a revised ttff system where they learned another language in prep for a footballing career in the future. i could see this being reality with an academy of football.

or a high school dedicated to the major sports in tt.

Offline Red Mango

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile

We have (well, had, no man, HAVE) a good ting going, wid football in T&T... but, we could still push for better and more...

Jus' meh 2 cents...

I think Didier handles himself well in front of the media, in fact, he know enough to show his displeasure to the cameras (it's a disgrace... it's a f**king disgrace!!! immediately comes to mind)... But yes I see your point, what I am advocating is a development strategy, where an exchange of footballing students (across cultural and linguistic divides) could actually help us to create and achieve a better footballing product, that can integrate easier into a European system as well as, enhance our own technical abilities on the pitch, even if it means starting at say, age 7 with the introduction of Dutch coaches into our system, and games played with freedom as opposed to controls (referees)...

Ages 10 - 12 could be used to introduce controls (referees) and thus enhance the more tactical aspects of our game...

Isn't it strange that for the little proof that Caribbean football has shown to the various leagues around the region and the wider world that there is NOT ONE major club from Holland, whether it be Ajax, Feyenoord, PSV or Rotterdam, that has not even thought to set up an academy in T&T or JA?... or any major club for that matter? No Liverpools, Manchester Uniteds (and Yorke played for them yeah?...) Chelseas or Arsenals...? Not even a Spanish influence, No Valencias, Getafes or Villa Reals??? nothing?...

Is it BECAUSE we cannot communicate (because let's face it, Van Persie said it best about referring to being Dutch when quizzed about the influence Bergkamp has on his Arsenal career and I quote, "it's amazing, but what makes it even more special is that he is my countryman and we speak the same language...") in these languages?...

Shaka Hislop's intelligence is not questioned... is it?... Having worked for NASA and all...

Speaking a second language, also encourages the brain to work differently, it makes for a stronger mind, and if the old adage "that we only use 1/10th of our capacity" is true, then surely offering a footballer the opportunity, to enhance his skills by learning a 2nd or even 3rd language, can only be a positive diversion away from other distractions outside of the game... PS3 and all... and encourage him or her to think differently (hopefully more productively) about improving his or her own game.

Oneness... 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 11:57:47 AM by bongonatti 11 »
I wanted to bring a different style to the team, to play the Trinbagonian way. Everald "Gally" Cummings

giggsy11

Jus' meh 2 cents...

If a player goes to a foreign country and is unable to converse in the native language due to him making no effort to learn the language of the country, it can interfere with that player settling in or assimulating to his new environment. If a player is usettled off the field it could affect him on the field. Why do you think clubs set players up with language lessons? 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 12:48:47 PM by giggsy11 »

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
If is anyone should be learning a new language is the agents and whomever repping T&T abroad that could get a contract for a local-based player.

Hopefully de pro league clubs doing some kind of investment - they are supposed to be the ones to gain from the international football transfer market.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
If a player goes to a foreign country and is unable to converse in the native language due to him making no effort to learn the language of the country, it can interfere with that player settling in or assimulating to his new environment. If a player is usettled off the field it could affect him on the field. Why do you think clubs set players up with language lessons? 

There are several obvious flaws in your analysis:

- We not talking woulda or coulda... we talking what's necessary.  Could a player be unsettled if he doesn't know how to speak the language?  Yes.  Does not knowing the language mean that such player automatically will be unsettled? No.  So knowing another language hasn't been proven compulsory.

- Secondly, if the player is already playing in the foreign country then that negates the whole "need to learn a second language in order to improve professional opportunities".  The opportunity is already there.

- Thirdly, if anything it only supports my assertion that it's far better to wait until one knows which foreign country on will be playing in before embarking on pulling a foreign language out of a hat and setting about to learn that language in hopes of playing in that country.

-------------------------

Bongonatti, maybe these European clubs don't have academies in the caribbean b/c the return on investment just isn't there to support them?  Why set up academies here when they can do them much cheaper closer to home?  Or in Africa for that matter... where the sheer number of players make it more likely to find a few diamonds in the rough than in the Caribbean?  Language is hardly the barrier that you make it out to be.

p.s.  when did Shaka ever work for NASA?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 01:20:48 PM by Bake n Shark »

Dumplingdinho

dis language ting is pure bull$hit....our players need to learn how to trap and deal with the conditions in foreign countries to do well...not complain about it too cold and all kinda dotish excuse for not doing well....i played with an african fellah who spoke 3 languages including french and italian but not ah balsted word of english for 1 year and we had no problems communicating with him and vice versa....nuff hand signals and a few basic english words.

giggsy11

- We not talking woulda or coulda... we talking what's necessary.  Could a player be unsettled if he doesn't know how to speak the language?  Yes.  Does not knowing the language mean that such player automatically will be unsettled? No.  So knowing another language hasn't been proven compulsory.

- Secondly, if the player is already playing in the foreign country then that negates the whole "need to learn a second language in order to improve professional opportunities".  The opportunity is already there.

- Thirdly, if anything it only supports my assertion that it's far better to wait until one knows which foreign country on will be playing in before embarking on pulling a foreign language out of a hat and setting about to learn that language in hopes of playing in that country.

My response was regarding your statement " Conversely, who needs a second language if your football speaks for itself"; Not the necessity to learn a second language in order to improve one's chances of gaining a football contract.

Offline Red Mango

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile

Bongonatti, maybe these European clubs don't have academies in the caribbean b/c the return on investment just isn't there to support them?  Why set up academies here when they can do them much cheaper closer to home?  Or in Africa for that matter... where the sheer number of players make it more likely to find a few diamonds in the rough than in the Caribbean?  Language is hardly the barrier that you make it out to be.

p.s.  when did Shaka ever work for NASA?

Ajax has an Academy in South Africa...

Hislop's Early career... Early career

At an early age, Hislop wanted to be a striker, but was thrust in goal as he was the tallest player on his team. He eventually grew to a commanding 6'6" in height, although various sources cite his height at 6'4". After graduating from St. Mary's College in Trinidad, Hislop earned a scholarship to play college soccer at Howard University in the United States and led his team to the NCAA Final as a freshman starter. He graduated from Howard with honours with a degree in Rocket Propulsion Engineering. During this time, he interned at NASA.

Courtesy of Wiki, but I'm sure than this too can be proved on the boards...

Offline Red Mango

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
dis language ting is pure bull$hit....our players need to learn how to trap and deal with the conditions in foreign countries to do well...not complain about it too cold and all kinda dotish excuse for not doing well....i played with an african fellah who spoke 3 languages including french and italian but not ah balsted word of english for 1 year and we had no problems communicating with him and vice versa....nuff hand signals and a few basic english words.

Did anyone think of learning a few French or Italian phrases to at least communicate with the fella?... EVEN outside of the white lines?...

Dumplingdinho

Did anyone think of learning a few French or Italian phrases to at least communicate with the fella?... EVEN outside of the white lines?...

a few men knew a little french but men mostly learn how to cuss in french and italian over the years...no positive learning.. ;D

Offline Red Mango

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile

a few men knew a little french but men mostly learn how to cuss in french and italian over the years...no positive learning.. ;D

So...

;D

All ah sayin breds, is dat if we aspire to believe, surely, surely we can achieve...

Yuh see, if any one ah allyuh did pull a gyul from France, allyuh woulda make de effort ent?... Ah just' sayin...
buh yuh see where ah comin' from?... is de same "love"... even if it different...

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This is a ridiculous thread .. next thing men go be suggesting that we youth players should stand in front the fridge for 90 minutes every day so they could get used to the cold!!.. ::)

Dumplingdinho

So...

;D

All ah sayin breds, is dat if we aspire to believe, surely, surely we can achieve...

Yuh see, if any one ah allyuh did pull a gyul from France, allyuh woulda make de effort ent?... Ah just' sayin...
buh yuh see where ah comin' from?... is de same "love"... even if it different...

de fellah learn english after 2 years...real smart guy..football was just his ticket to free school.

Offline Red Mango

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile

So...

;D

de fellah learn english after 2 years...real smart guy..football was just his ticket to free school.

I rest my case...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
My response was regarding your statement " Conversely, who needs a second language if your football speaks for itself"; Not the necessity to learn a second language in order to improve one's chances of gaining a football contract.

Performance on the field is all that matters.  A player could bark like a dog or communicate with smoke signals if that's what he wants to do.  As long as he earning his keep on the field no one would or should care.

---------------------------

bongonatti... I'm not sure what a college internship says about a man's intelligence.  NASA in Greenbelt MD in particular was a hive of project management activity... not jet-propulsion engineering.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This is a ridiculous thread .. next thing men go be suggesting that we youth players should stand in front the fridge for 90 minutes every day so they could get used to the cold!!.. ::)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Red Mango

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile

Performance on the field is all that matters.  A player could bark like a dog or communicate with smoke signals if that's what he wants to do.  As long as he earning his keep on the field no one would or should care.

---------------------------

bongonatti... I'm not sure what a college internship says about a man's intelligence.  NASA in Greenbelt MD in particular was a hive of project management activity... not jet-propulsion engineering.

I wouldn't know Bakes... My business is loving football and helping de youths develop... but de fella eh chupid... chupid people doh end up where he reach and continously strivin for, excellence...

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Dumplingdinho

:rotfl: :rotfl:

College win with this one

1]; } ?>