April 17, 2024, 09:00:06 PM

Author Topic: How did our CONCACAF teams perform out of 10 in this World Cup?!  (Read 12204 times)

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Did our representative teams Mexico, USA & Honduras argue a good case for us keeping our 3 1/2 spots or even getting a 4th automatic spot for World Cup qualifying?

Or should we be worried about losing our 1/2 spot to the region that New Zealand is part of (apparently they only have a ½ spot) or even to South America seeing that their region did so well this World Cup?
Or has the spots allotment per football region around the world for 2014 been decided on already?

Any ideas or can we depend on JW to make sure there is no chance of us losing our 1/2 spot while he is head of CONCACAF with Sepp Blatter needing his vote to remain as head of FIFA?

Lets grade our representative teams out of 10.

I give Mexico 8 out of 10 (just needed better finishers and they would have gotten thru to the quarter-finals)

I give USA 7 out of 10 (never give up attitude but need a bit more creativity to get them up there with the elite teams)

I give Honduras 4 out of 10 (they let down CONCACAF a bit and I am confident Costa Rica would have served us better to prove that we deserve our 3 1/2 spots).

How do you guys grade them and have we made a strong case for our World Cup spots?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 07:26:39 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Dumplingdinho

Re: How did our CONCACAF teams perform in this World CUp?!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 10:40:15 AM »
usa and mexico achieved what they were suppose to achievealthough their fans may have expected at least a quarterfinal spot.

if honduras was a let down then so were the soca warriors in 2006.

3.5 spots are the good for the concacaf which translates to 3 if we are going to play south america.

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
Re: How did our CONCACAF teams perform out of 10 in this World Cup?!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 12:04:20 PM »
I think we will see an expansion of the tourny in Brazil.

USA and Mexico were very unlucky. Not good officials in my opinion, lots of bad calls costed these two teams.

Spain fell to USA in the Confeds, just food for thought.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 02:13:23 PM »

USA and Mexico were very unlucky. Not good officials in my opinion, lots of bad calls costed these two teams.

How did bad calls cost the US??? They topped their group but lost to a better Ghana team in the knock out stage.....please enlighten us..
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 02:47:07 PM »

confeds cup doh count..ask Brazil....expansion in 2014 not happening.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 03:19:08 PM »

Expansion!!!!!!. Man, there is so much football matches you can watch. I doubt that will happen!!!

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 04:40:09 PM »

How did bad calls cost the US??? They topped their group but lost to a better Ghana team in the knock out stage.....please enlighten us..

The bad calls affected their psyche and carried over all the way into their game against Ghana.  The PTS (Post Traumatic Stress) left them edgy and nervous and had them playing tentatively and on their heels, expecting to hear a whistle at any moment, thus giving the Ghanaians an unfair advantage.  Furthermore, the referee that disallowed their goal in the group stage was African.  As were the 11 or so Ghanaians lined up before them in the RO16 game, clearly an attempt by FIFA to further rub it in their faces.  FIFA needs to investigate!

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 05:55:20 PM »
imo UEFA and OFC exceeded expectations, CONMEBOL and AFC were below expectations. CONCACAF and Asia met expectations.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 06:37:43 PM »
imo UEFA and OFC exceeded expectations, CONMEBOL and AFC were below expectations. CONCACAF and Asia met expectations.

???
Please explain how was CONMEBOL below expectations apart from the disappointment of Argentina or Brazil not making the final?
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 06:40:19 PM »

???
Please explain how was CONMEBOL below expectations apart from the disappointment of Argentina or Brazil not making the final?

They started good, 5/5 out of the groups, four made it to the quarterfinals, then it all fell apart.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 06:45:07 PM »

???

They started good, 5/5 out of the groups, four made it to the quarterfinals, then it all fell apart.

Yes but were we expecting 5 out of 5 to make the knockout stage and 4 out of 5 to make the quarterfinals?! NO!!
Above expectation followed by disappointment leads me to conclude that their performance was average or as expected on the balance!  ;)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 06:49:25 PM »
UEFA has 13 picks. They will always have a chance of meeting expectations. They big 3 and England got clunked. Spain and Holland picked up where the other failed.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 07:26:40 PM »

???

Yes but were we expecting 5 out of 5 to make the knockout stage and 4 out of 5 to make the quarterfinals?! NO!!
Above expectation followed by disappointment leads me to conclude that their performance was average or as expected on the balance!  ;)

before the tournament, CONMEBOL had the sole distinction of winning in Asia, North America, Europe as well as South America. UEFA had never won a tournament outside of europe. that scene change by the semis.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 01:08:55 AM »

The bad calls affected their psyche and carried over all the way into their game against Ghana.  The PTS (Post Traumatic Stress) left them edgy and nervous and had them playing tentatively and on their heels, expecting to hear a whistle at any moment, thus giving the Ghanaians an unfair advantage.  Furthermore, the referee that disallowed their goal in the group stage was African.  As were the 11 or so Ghanaians lined up before them in the RO16 game, clearly an attempt by FIFA to further rub it in their faces.  FIFA needs to investigate!

Agreed that FIFA needs to investigate but Post Traumatic Stress???? I doubt that had anything to do with the way they played the game and giving Ghana an unfair advantage. Face it Ghana was the better team on the day, the US played how we expected them to but Ghana converted when it mattered and was the fitter and faster team.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 04:03:05 AM »

Agreed that FIFA needs to investigate but Post Traumatic Stress???? I doubt that had anything to do with the way they played the game and giving Ghana an unfair advantage. Face it Ghana was the better team on the day, the US played how we expected them to but Ghana converted when it mattered and was the fitter and faster team.

I was being sarcastic, jed.  Ah needed to put a smiley on dat or wha?   ???

Offline Red Mango

• because football, does bring we together...
  • Sr. Warrior
  • We Comin'... Bless up!...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 05:02:38 AM »
Europe could lose a couple places, they are WOEFULLY greedy and over represented at the FIFA World Cup, that said though, CONCACAF could benefit from a 4th automatic place, but ONLY IF as a region we get more WORLD CLASS games throughout the footballing calender...

I wanted to bring a different style to the team, to play the Trinbagonian way. Everald "Gally" Cummings

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 07:23:24 AM »
Concacaf should not receive any more spots....if TNT cant make it as it is now...then it dont deserve to qualify..its already a watered down worldcup.....

TNT should aim to be #1 or stick to playing cricket....
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 08:05:50 AM »
Concacaf should not receive any more spots....if TNT cant make it as it is now...then it dont deserve to qualify..its already a watered down worldcup.....

Agreed.

Offline Red Mango

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 09:47:02 AM »

Agreed.

As much as this is a soca warriors forum, let's not lose sight of the bigger picture here fellas, even if it means that St. Vincent could produce an 11 that is able to qualify, and the traditional powers (Mexico and Uncle Sam's Amatures) do have an off run, why deny a 4th spot just because of a biased T&T mindset?...

If, at the expense of a greedy and over represented Europe, Caribbean and Central American football benefits from the opportunity, surely it must be a good thing. Especially if, especially if, we play more world Class opposition on a more regular basis as opposed to the the regional competitions, like the Caribbean Cup and The Gold Gup....

Come on man...
I wanted to bring a different style to the team, to play the Trinbagonian way. Everald "Gally" Cummings

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 11:47:05 AM »

Agreed.

As much as this is a soca warriors forum, let's not lose sight of the bigger picture here fellas, even if it means that St. Vincent could produce an 11 that is able to qualify, and the traditional powers (Mexico and Uncle Sam's Amatures) do have an off run, why deny a 4th spot just because of a biased T&T mindset?...

If, at the expense of a greedy and over represented Europe, Caribbean and Central American football benefits from the opportunity, surely it must be a good thing. Especially if, especially if, we play more world Class opposition on a more regular basis as opposed to the the regional competitions, like the Caribbean Cup and The Gold Gup....

Come on man...

Look at the WC since it was increased to 32 teams. Then watch the results from european teams, round of 16, Quarter Finals, Semi etc. Do you really believe they are over represented? It is up to the CONCACAF Federation to raise its stadards. Not lower the standards of the WC.
Regardless of their head to head record. Mexico has been the standard for CONCACAF at an International level (mainly WC). This growth in their football is largely due to their League and them being part of the Copa America.
We need to find a way to raise our own standards domestically and at a CONCACAF Level
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 01:37:49 PM »

;D I ain go lie, yuh ketch meh wid dat one :rotfl: I like what shit is dis I reading here. Posting under the influence of alcohol is never a good idea :beermug:

Offline Red Mango

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 02:01:49 PM »

Agreed.

Come on man...

Look at the WC since it was increased to 32 teams. Then watch the results from european teams, round of 16, Quarter Finals, Semi etc. Do you really believe they are over represented? It is up to the CONCACAF Federation to raise its stadards. Not lower the standards of the WC.
Regardless of their head to head record. Mexico has been the standard for CONCACAF at an International level (mainly WC). This growth in their football is largely due to their League and them being part of the Copa America.
We need to find a way to raise our own standards domestically and at a CONCACAF Level

we still need to be playing WORLD CLASS opponents as opposed to amongst ourselves... what makes me cringe with disgust, is that it's a global game, right?... and even at the U17 level Caribbean teams cyah get a DECENT game against a German squad, or a Polish unit, or a Czech squad?... even at these developmental stages?... even worse as a global game, there are no matches organized between "big" footballing nations  Europe and South America (UEFA and CONMEBOL) and CONCACAF who are quite possibly the 3rd richest confederation...

so how we supposed to "raise we level" if we not even getting a chance (doh even mention de England debacle, wid de 7 subs, and bobol for Jackula votes fuh 2018, ah mean PROPER friendlies, wid PROPER controls) to see where we are even OUTSIDE of tournaments that we try to qualify for???

Something's rotten in the state of Denmark... 

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 02:17:43 PM »

;D I ain go lie, yuh ketch meh wid dat one :rotfl: I like what shit is dis I reading here. Posting under the influence of alcohol is never a good idea :beermug:

:beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: Ah know exactly what yuh mean ;) :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010, 06:41:51 PM »
If usa had taken their chance they coulda go all the way like Uraguay...a semi was achievable for them.

Mexico woulda not been able to test the Germans but with a little luck they coulda beat Argentina.

Honduras...I never found dey was good, but look who they had to be better than, TT, el sal and costa rica. I think they were the best of the also rans to make it...is injuries to a few key players kill them.

It have no way concacaf should get 4 spots...we shitty.

Look at how a 5th place S.american side make the 3rd 4th place game.

If anything give them 5 spots. and no half.

We will never get no big teams to play because we dont have the money to do so and we don't have the players of intl caliber.

Which is why when Jack squeeze dem big federation balls and get us a big game we should be thankful.

Besides we does ketch we arse to beat grenada, guayana and Bdos of late.

Them fellas ent want to ruin the poor record we fighting up to withhold so a 4-nil cutarse from a avg world team ent go look too good for us.

But look at it from the other point of view....as a manager of a decent team...what praytell would I get out a playing Trinidad and Tobago :o

If anything we good for teams to ketch form on.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010, 07:07:02 PM »

Agreed.

Come on man...

we still need to be playing WORLD CLASS opponents as opposed to amongst ourselves... what makes me cringe with disgust, is that it's a global game, right?... and even at the U17 level Caribbean teams cyah get a DECENT game against a German squad, or a Polish unit, or a Czech squad?... even at these developmental stages?... even worse as a global game, there are no matches organized between "big" footballing nations  Europe and South America (UEFA and CONMEBOL) and CONCACAF who are quite possibly the 3rd richest confederation...

so how we supposed to "raise we level" if we not even getting a chance (doh even mention de England debacle, wid de 7 subs, and bobol for Jackula votes fuh 2018, ah mean PROPER friendlies, wid PROPER controls) to see where we are even OUTSIDE of tournaments that we try to qualify for???

Something's rotten in the state of Denmark... 

So why we placing blame outside of ourselves? Mexico, Honduras, Costa Rica and USA play teams from South America and Europe. It is the T&TFF (in T&T case) that is failing both the development and Senior programs. 
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2010, 08:44:04 PM »
Mexico and USA did well. They went to the group of 16. Mexico had to play Argentina(2 time WC champs.) If there was a time for Mex to beat Arg. this was year. I don't think this Arg. was that strong or skillful as pass teams. But they had fight and spunk under Diego. Mex. had one of their best WC teams, unfortunately did could not get pass this hurdle. But they played well. USA played well also, but they meet an equally good team in Ghana. Honduras was below par.

For TT to improve that whole TTFF cabal has to go. We need new leadership. Allyuh only looking at WC football and hoping jack will have the treasury to do what he want to go to Brazil, except pay the players(slaves). Local football suffering. No support for local clubs. As long as that is the case we ain't going no f--king way. jack could bring all the WC tournaments to TT so that his people go make money(yes they will) not the players(slaves), but we ain't going nowhere until the ttfff cabal show respect for the struggle local players. When that happens then we local football go start to inspire the youths of the whole nation like long ago. f--k ttff.

Offline julie_mango

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2010, 09:58:46 PM »
They need to take away a spot from Africa... 

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 04:56:30 AM »
They need to take away a spot from Africa... 

They ain't taking no spot from Africa. Concacaf 4th will be playing Conmebol for that last place. That will be the norm for now.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2010, 08:06:54 AM »
here is a sample of de marginal teams that miss out:

CONMEBOL   Ecuador/Colombia
UEFA           Ireland/Russia
CAF            Egypt

CONCACAF   Costa Rica
AFC            Bahrain
OFC            New Caledonia

CAF, UEFA and CONMEBOL still decent
CONCACAF, AFC and OFC sorf

they might could short AFC for CONCACAF but to what end?

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2010, 08:58:10 AM »
here is a sample of de marginal teams that miss out:

CONMEBOL   Ecuador/Colombia
UEFA           Ireland/Russia
CAF            Egypt

CONCACAF   Costa Rica
AFC            Bahrain
OFC            New Caledonia

CAF, UEFA and CONMEBOL still decent
CONCACAF, AFC and OFC sorf

they might could short AFC for CONCACAF but to what end?
Egypt would have been better opponents for England and USA. They have only themselves to blame for not qualifying.

1]; } ?>