March 28, 2024, 01:15:17 PM

Author Topic: Maradona to be renewed?  (Read 10085 times)

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Maradona to be renewed?
« on: July 15, 2010, 09:46:42 AM »

Maradona to be offered four-year extension

Diego Maradona enjoyed his World Cup adventure

Diego Maradona will be offered a new four-year contract to stay on as Argentina coach, the Argentinian Football Association has announced.

AFA president Julio Grondona will meet with Maradona next week to offer him the chance to guide his nation to the Brazil 2014 World Cup after the AFA executive committee determined he remains the right man to command the national team after a respectable showing at the World Cup in South Africa.

Maradona had little coaching experience before taking Argentina on a roller-coaster ride to World Cup qualification. Few gave him any chance of turning his undoubtedly high-quality squad into World Cup contenders but they impressed on their way to the quarter-finals before being humbled 4-0 by Germany.

Grondona intends to meet with Maradona no later than next Wednesday to discuss the contract extension. Maradona said after his side's exit that he would consult his family and the Argentina players before deciding whether he intended to stay on.

==
"I prefer a calm coach on the bench like Van Marwijk, rather than an idiot like Maradona or Dunga."

- Wesley Sneijder.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Maradona to be renewed?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 09:56:56 AM »
Argentina has taken dis Maradona is GOD ting way too far.

So far in fact as to be to de utter detriment of dem team.

Is one ting to love and appreciate yuh hero's

Entirely another to capitulate to the "idea" of their GOD like status and miss the forest for the trees.

Yuh woulda think they would learn from the World Cup.  Guess dem content to beat up on de likes of Greece & South Korea.

Oh well....is not like Argentina is my team....but they DO have excellent individual players.  From a football standpoint, it would be nice to see what they could do under a proper coach.  Now we'll never know.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 09:59:36 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 10:03:18 AM »
And a whole 4 years they giving him to boot??  :o

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 11:05:24 AM »
Dey want de man beat de Brazilians IN Brazil

Dat go seal he status as "The One"
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 11:05:49 AM »
Well yes, Argentinians mad!!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 11:29:15 AM »

Entirely another to capitulate to the "idea" of their GOD like status and miss the forest for the trees.

Yuh woulda think they would learn from the World Cup.  Guess dem content to beat up on de likes of Greece & South Korea.

Oh well....is not like Argentina is my team....but they DO have excellent individual players.  From a football standpoint, it would be nice to see what they could do under a proper coach.  Now we'll never know.
LoL

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 12:06:09 PM »

2004 Argentina under Bielsa was playing the best football seen to man in a long time in Copa America...A Brazil B side come and beat them on penalty kics..The loss seemed enough of a fluke that they kept him on until Brazil hit them 4 in the Confed Cup of 2005...Bielsa say enough is enough....Pekerman get a lil pips for WC 2006 but like they realize he only good fuh U-20 World Cups..... Basile took over...Again Argentina playing the best football seen to man in ages until Brazil came around and hit them 3 in the Copa final...they also get 3 from Brazil in a friendly in the emirates under Bielsa, and he say enough is enough is enough...

Maradona get his 3 from Brazil in qualifying and eh budge...look like it will take about 2 or 3 more cutarse from Brazil tuh move him....all in time  ;D
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 12:31:25 PM »

2004 Argentina under Bielsa was playing the best football seen to man in a long time in Copa America...A Brazil B side come and beat them on penalty kics..The loss seemed enough of a fluke that they kept him on until Brazil hit them 4 in the Confed Cup of 2005...Bielsa say enough is enough....Pekerman get a lil pips for WC 2006 but like they realize he only good fuh U-20 World Cups..... Basile took over...Again Argentina playing the best football seen to man in ages until Brazil came around and hit them 3 in the Copa final...they also get 3 from Brazil in a friendly in the emirates under Bielsa, and he say enough is enough is enough...

Maradona get his 3 from Brazil in qualifying and eh budge...look like it will take about 2 or 3 more cutarse from Brazil tuh move him....all in time  ;D

lol
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 01:07:18 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: copa america next year, don't worry...it coming soon.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 01:40:07 AM »

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dey have  'God' and we have the 'Magician' ummm.... both former  starts in dey own right but do they have what it takes to coach successful teams at a caliber  that is needed  to sustain a level of competitive football and development in their respective countries?

Offline legal alien

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 10:47:13 AM »
  I'm 100 percent behind it . I've been , without reservation on the "keep Maradonna" bandwagon. I'm happy he didnt decide to quit the position. Everyone saw that the Argentines played their best bespite that 4-0 drubbing by Germany.At least the federation has sense to show that they shouldn't fire a coach simply based on not winning the world cup , even if the country is football giant Argentina.

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 11:21:34 AM »
Argentina didn't lose because of Maradona...when last have you seen a coach supporting his team like that?  I wouldn't fire him, but I would fire his technical staff around him.

Ain't Maradona fault for this World cup.....Messi holds that honour
whey boy!

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 12:04:32 PM »
Argentina didn't lose because of Maradona...when last have you seen a coach supporting his team like that?  I wouldn't fire him, but I would fire his technical staff around him.

Ain't Maradona fault for this World cup.....Messi holds that honour

Either yuh pullin a Dutty or yuh juss pass by de labasse and take a huge wif
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 01:03:26 PM »

ENTTTTTTTTTT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 11:46:28 AM »
There is much room for improvement in his coaching ability, and the AFA is giving him a chance to do so... 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 03:16:04 PM by kicker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 12:30:07 PM »
Should he survive to 2014 that would be noteworthy in itself. Other than that, I defer to the AFA's wisdom. It's not far-fetched.

Tactically insecure is how I would describe him. However, I don't think he's completely lost.  Definitely room for improvement, and it will be interesting to see how he manipulates the next edition of players.

The comment regarding Messi (legal alien's) is indeed part of the story.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 12:31:41 PM »
"I prefer a calm coach on the bench like Van Marwijk, rather than an idiot like Maradona or Dunga."

- Wesley Sneijder.

He said that?

Wesley Sneijder is a jackass ... and a WC losing one at that relative to the 'idiots'.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2010, 02:09:23 PM »

- Wesley Sneijder.

He said that?

Wesley Sneijder is a jackass ... and a WC losing one at that relative to the 'idiots'.

the dutch coach and sneijder said the statement was translated incorrectly and he didn't call anybody idiots...the statement was on their website then it got deleted...i never saw it and don't know dutch so i dont know if he really called dem idiots.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 09:17:01 PM »
I was with Maradona up to the team he selected against germany ...i thought i would give him the doubt though as he was there and I was here ...but 15 mins into the game I realised that 4 1 5 was not going to succeed against Germany, maybe it might have worked against different opposition ...and there is where I began to question his tactics ...If I plan to scale ah wall and de frontal way eh wukking I certainly go have a back up plan in the event dat eh wuk ! Maradona went down without a change in team tactics ....I did not like Bielsa for that and I dont like that in Maradona .....you have to change tactics if you are getting overrun by the opposition ...I guess I am not surprised that he eh changing he mind about staying either .

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 03:06:40 PM »
I was with Maradona up to the team he selected against germany ...i thought i would give him the doubt though as he was there and I was here ...but 15 mins into the game I realised that 4 1 5 was not going to succeed against Germany, maybe it might have worked against different opposition ...and there is where I began to question his tactics ...If I plan to scale ah wall and de frontal way eh wukking I certainly go have a back up plan in the event dat eh wuk ! Maradona went down without a change in team tactics ....I did not like Bielsa for that and I dont like that in Maradona .....you have to change tactics if you are getting overrun by the opposition ...I guess I am not surprised that he eh changing he mind about staying either .

Tactics aside Argentina's football was disjointed and lacked fluidity compared to Argentina squads of the past.  The team was hanging on by superior individual talent.  They were not a cohesive team on the ball, and defensively they looked lost.  They struggled through qualifying with dismal performances and embarrasing losses and if not for a easy World Cup group, they woulda struggled to make it through the group phase as well.  They were shaky against Nigeria, the score against Korea flattered them as well, and Greece sat back allowed them to do whatever they wanted to do until the they got within 20 yards of goal so it was no challenge to "look good" in that game....Mexico had them under fire until the ref bailed them out... and outside of Tevez's wonder goal they looked very scrappy in that game...

Maradona has largely been a failure (by Argentina's high standards) at the helm so far...If he wasn't the great Maradona and if he didn't have the added distractive colorful element of being a total media circus clown no one would care about him as a coach and he would have lost the job already. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 03:10:02 PM by kicker »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 03:08:29 PM »

Tactics aside Argentina's football was disjointed and lacked fluidity compared to Argentina squads of the past.  The team was hanging on by superior individual talent.  They were not a cohesive team on the ball, and defensively they looked lost.  They struggled through qualifying with dismal performances and embarrasing losses and if not for a easy World Cup group, they woulda struggled to make it through the group phase as well.  They were shaky against Nigeria, the score against Korea flattered them as well, and Greece sat back allowed them to do whatever they wanted to do until the they got within 20 yards of goal so it was no challenge to "look good" in that game....Mexico had them under fire until the ref bailed them out... and outside of Tevez's wonder goal they looked very scrappy in that game...

Maradona has largely been a failure (by Argentina's high standards) at the helm so far...if he wasn't Maradona he would have lost the job already. 

Amen.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 07:30:32 PM »
I think people does forget that Argentina ketch they nenen to qualify and was one game away from the 5th place playoff spot....again I say, Argentinians mad!!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 08:46:14 PM »
and what of the players' opinions?

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 09:37:45 AM »
and what of the players' opinions?

i feel they on reverse psychology or they like to be around an argentine legend so it clouding their thinking.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 12:27:13 PM »

Maradona has largely been a failure (by Argentina's high standards) at the helm so far...If he wasn't the great Maradona and if he didn't have the added distractive colorful element of being a total media circus clown no one would care about him as a coach and he would have lost the job already. 

I would have said ...well said to this ..except for your opening two words ...what do you mean by " Tactics aside " especially since you went on to describe poor tactics ? Surely you dont mean that the players are not good individually ?  am sure you do not ...so if not that and not bad tactics , to what do you attribute their " dismal performances and horrible losses " as you mentioned ?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 03:49:23 PM »

I would have said ...well said to this ..except for your opening two words ...what do you mean by " Tactics aside " especially since you went on to describe poor tactics ? Surely you dont mean that the players are not good individually ?  am sure you do not ...so if not that and not bad tactics , to what do you attribute their " dismal performances and horrible losses " as you mentioned ?

Maradona didn't bring the best out of that team. It was more than just tactical deficiency.  By their standards they were neither compact nor cohesive...

I probably don't know football like you, but based on my experience, my opinion is that the cohesiveness and tenacity expected of an Argentina senior team is a product of more than just tactical awareness...       

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 04:03:14 PM »
Maradona is a cheerleader

Nothing more than that

He is de same to Argentina football team as Colonel Sanders is to Kentucky Fried Chicken

A figurehead.  PUNTO FINAL!

Ask Maradona what he tactics is & he go watch yuh funny & reach een he pockets to hand yuh one.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 06:06:53 PM »

Maradona didn't bring the best out of that team. It was more than just tactical deficiency.  By their standards they were neither compact nor cohesive...

I probably don't know football like you, but based on my experience, my opinion is that the cohesiveness and tenacity expected of an Argentina senior team is a product of more than just tactical awareness...       

All to do with the game has been analyzed to fit into ..physical , tactical or technical facets. If it aint technical ..we both agree on that ...it aint physical ..I am sure we agree again ...so what is it then if not tactical ? In fact your argument is a good case to question Maradona's tactical awareness as a coach ....read your own post again.

I am not disagreeing with you on the likely reason for Argentina's poor showing given their talented players ..maybe I just callin it different  :beermug:

1]; } ?>