April 19, 2024, 03:23:24 AM

Author Topic: ‘Turbulent times’ ahead for blacks in T&T  (Read 3085 times)

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
‘Turbulent times’ ahead for blacks in T&T
« on: August 02, 2010, 12:53:47 AM »
‘Turbulent times’ ahead for blacks in T&T—Cudjoe
Cherisse Moe
Published: 2 Aug 2010

Professor Selwyn Cudjoe, president of the National Association for the Empowerment of African People (NAEAP), is predicting “turbulent times” for Africans in Trinidad and Tobago. Cudjoe said if current trends continued, the entire black population would degenerate into lower depths of poverty and despair. Cudjoe was speaking at the 10th Annual Emancipation Dinner and Awards Ceremony at Centre of Excellence, Macoya, last Saturday. This year’s theme was titled: “A Society in Transition: A Community at the Crossroads.” To help address the problem, Cudjoe appealed to the Government to call a meeting of the “relevant Africans groups” to put together a ten-year plan.

The plan, he said, would allow Africans “to act in ways that are conducive to their own self-interest and the well-being of the nation. “Unless we do this, the maddening killing will continue; the rising crime will continue; and those who can will continue to reproduce themselves without any serious consideration of what it means for the overall progress of the race and of the nation,” Cudjoe said. “Whether we like it or not, there will be turbulent times ahead for Africans in this country...We are in a crisis.” While calling on the Government to play a more proactive role in the advancement of black people in T&T, he said the former Patrick Manning-led administration should also shoulder some of the blame, as it failed to improve the quality of life of the local black community.

“We, in NAEAP, stand ready to assist the Government in any endeavour it wishes to undertake to transform the conditions of black people in this land,” Cudjoe said. “The predominantly black government did not see it fit to endorse the idea of making a sustained effort to deal with the problems that affect black children and black youth.” He said he was concerned that the African would become “irrelevant” in T&T, as many black men living in the “ghetto” did not expect to live until 30. He added that 40 per cent of the population is East Indians, whereas 37.5 per cent are Africans. “This divide is likely to grow as time goes on...We might see the same pattern that has emerged in Guyana, in which the dominant group will hold power in perpetuity,” Cudjoe said.
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Re: ‘Turbulent times’ ahead for blacks in T&T
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 10:49:21 AM »
National Association for the Empowerment of African People

is we time now

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 01:16:32 PM »

is we time now

Between that and Global Organisation for Persons of Indian Origin (GOPIO)...and Indo-Trinidadian Equality Commission......we in safe hands ent?

But....I understand his statements and his position. And i would tend to agree as well.

Being conscious doh mean being racial doh.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 01:55:21 PM »

is we time now
Mr rabbit, what exactly do you mean by that??
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 04:29:11 PM »
Funny a lot of people does call Cudjoe racist. They use to say the same thing about Geddes. After all he is the iconic black power who with others upset the status quo. But now he is minister for carib affairs, things change. he is no longer "threatening" the staus quo. Cudjoe is the boogey-man now. But honestly Cudjoe makes good points as it pertains to the current status of the Afro-TT. I think he is putting onus/blame on them.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 05:29:22 PM by Deeks »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 05:47:19 PM »
I agree with many things said by cudjoe, until i read this statement below.

He said he was concerned that the African would become “irrelevant” in T&T, as many black men living in the “ghetto” did not expect to live until 30. He added that 40 per cent of the population is East Indians, whereas 37.5 per cent are Africans. “This divide is likely to grow as time goes on...We might see the same pattern that has emerged in Guyana, in which the dominant group will hold power in perpetuity,” Cudjoe said.

why would afro-trinis become irrelevant? The honorable Dr.Williams knew that indo-trini birth rates were higher since oxaal's study in the early sixties and would eventually eclipse all other races. This is not new data, nor is tt like guyana, totally different kettle of fish there.

The ruling party is a mixed party and is not overrun with indo-trinis, plus the nation is becoming more politically aware.

However, I believe strongly that the youths in the ghetto need the support and programs to get them away from the path of crime, Cudjoe is trying to tie in to many different issues into one here.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 06:15:45 PM »
I disagree with the learned Dr. that the last government didn't have a sustained effort to deal with issues affecting the black community. Most of the social programmes were engineered to assist the urban poor and other at risk communities. The previous government was criticised by Winston Dookeran in particular for the amount of spending  in this area in fact. I don't think Dookeran had any malicious intent but I thought he was insensitive to the need.

I agree with the overall assessment though. Crime affects young black men more than any group in T&T.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 06:23:02 PM »
racist!

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 06:44:10 PM »
I disagree with the learned Dr. that the last government didn't have a sustained effort to deal with issues affecting the black community. Most of the social programmes were engineered to assist the urban poor and other at risk communities. The previous government was criticised by Winston Dookeran in particular for the amount of spending  in this area in fact. I don't think Dookeran had any malicious intent but I thought he was insensitive to the need.

I agree with the overall assessment though. Crime affects young black men more than any group in T&T.

I disagree as well. A lot of programs and opportunities were not utilized thanks to the dependency syndrome.  And even any opportunity members of the last government used to say things were jumped on by certain persons from certain spheres. Buh.......c'est la vie.

Leh me go back and enjoy the TV6 Emancipation Movie: Mr. Bean's Vacation.

::)

« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 06:50:00 PM by Bourbon »
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 07:27:18 PM »

I disagree as well. A lot of programs and opportunities were not utilized thanks to the dependency syndrome.  And even any opportunity members of the last government used to say things were jumped on by certain persons from certain spheres. Buh.......c'est la vie.

Ain't that some shit ! I see them advertise I say they cyar be serious.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 08:27:15 PM »

The Laventille Technology Centre is d poster boy 4 facilities not used by blacks.

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 11:38:28 PM »

is we time now

Racist! Yuh sounding like yuh poster name in ah low tone plus it have real men on here who does eat Rabbit
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 11:46:43 PM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 12:36:22 AM »
Steups they not easy nah. Big emancipation day and you'll show something as mind numbing as Mr Bean..!! I could have counted on one hand how many advertisements were on television supporting emancipation day...Didn't see many advertisements in the newspapers either...But say what we like it so..!!!

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 05:13:25 AM »
Eagle Eye posted this in the Guardian and I find some of this to be applicable to ALL children out there and parents on a whole

Here are some problems and solutions.

I'll start with a slightly humourous aside: Most Europeans and certainly Scandinavians would say that 90%+ of Trinbagonians are black.

Here are some real issues and some real solutions:

1. FRAGMENTATION. Many Afro-Trinis don't have strong or long family units. It's a fact that slaves were randomly mixed so that there were many differing languages and reduced ability to mount uprisings. Also, we have had many single individuals and couples migrating to Trinidad from other Caribbean islands. This has led to many Afros in Trinidad not having long and strong family lines like some other groups. Indentureship was a different experience with people better knowing their fore-parents and their history.

This plays out in business because of two things. One... your first source of cheap capital is entended family. Second, your first customers and clients should be your extended family. This has serious implications in business and is a serious factor in issues surrounding some Afro businesses. Family would give good interest rates and grace when the bad times inevitably come. But banks and credit unions are quicker to shut down businesses.

This fragmentation also comes from disrupted family units and insufficient father figures. But so many of these factors are interconnected. (More below).

Among the SOLUTIONs are greater use of clubs and organisations such as JA (Junior Achievement), The Boys and Girls clubs, Scouts etc. (Note: this is not a panacea. A multi-faceted approach is required.)

2. SELF-ESTEEM. The self esteem of our youths are attacked on 3 fronts:
a. Exam Results. Our Educational system has children failing Academics until age 15 before we say... they should learn a Trade.

SOLUTION: Adopt the German model in which children are put into programs that match their natural abilities around age 11, rather than putting them through a 'harmful' sequence of failing Academics.

b. Giving people 'fatigue'. We need to stop this nonesense of telling people what they look like, that their head is big, they have a five-head (big forehead) etc, when nobody designs him or herself in the womb. We didn't have a choice in our physical features at birth.

SOLUTION: In many modern schools such behaviour is categorized as a form of bullying and is not tolerated.

c. Tradition. We so frequently debase our youth and even treat them badly. (Even like how slaves were treated.) "Ah go box you down/" "Ah go put one planass on you (to a child)." And so many are CHILDREN "as long as they live under my roof."

Shawn Fanning started Napster at 19. Mark Zuckerberg started Facebook at about 20. Could similarly aged youths raise the capital etc to start businesses in Trinidad. "Nah, he too young."

We don't treat young men and women properly. And young girls seek to *prove/demonstrate* their womanhood by making a baby. And the boys: they walk with an ice-pick, knife, or gun to improve their self-esteem. Those that don't, resort to American style materialism and displays of gold teeth and chains, cars, fancy clothes etc to improve their self-esteem and the respect they get from others.

SOLUTION: Align students into music, and trades sooner and let them progress through their Secondary school in fields they are actually good at.

3. CORPORAL PUNISHMENT. Violence begets violence. Children learn more by emulation. Children are learning if someone hurts their feelings or wrongs them, that you can lash out at them.

SOLUTION: Make corporal punishment of children illegal. For more on the whole psychology and repercussions, visit nospank.net

4. NUTRITION. Many children are doing poorly because their diets are not well-balanced and too high in sugar. This leads to short attention spans, sleeping in class, hyperactivity and restlessness and sometimes lethargy. Some parents remember that when they were young they like Corn Curls or Chocolates or Ice Creams but could not get enough. So they shower their children with all this 'nice stuff' to show they love them or are providing for them what they lacked while growing up.

SOLUTIONS:
a. Ban the sale of soft ('C') drinks in schools. All schools should have milk, fruit, carrots and tomatoes instead. This would spur farming (and create employment) in mangoes, oranges, pomeracs, governor-plums etc.

b. We used to periodically receive High Protein milk biscuits in Government school. (Many students loved the biscuits but not the milk.) Ensure that those biscuits are available in shops and supermarkets.

c. The ministry of Education and Health should mount campaigns (including TV ads) that help people with suggestions on: proper breakfasts for students (including: don't skip breakfast), good lunches to pack, etc.

5. CLASS SIZES TOO LARGE. Many students attend classes with about 40 students. It is not possible for teachers to give sufficient attention to students in this way. Teachers have so much homework to correct that they can't do remedial work with students.

SOLUTION: Make maximum class sizes 20. (For first-world countries it is about 18.) This would require more teachers... but it helps in solving another problem.

6. LACK OF MALE ROLE MODELS.
It is quite possible for a student to progress through primary school and only have female teachers. This is not good. Many boys don't have good positive role models that they see or interact with daily.

SOLUTION: Make it so that schools are required to have a 50%-50% ratio of male to female teachers + or - 5%. With the extra schools and classes constructed from point 5, that should allow many of the existing female teachers to be distributed, and for male teachers to be installed accordingly.

These are just some of the issues and some suggested solutions.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 05:20:01 AM by rotatopoti3 »
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 05:42:37 AM »
Ah next asshole....

They should call he Professor Nuts.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 12:44:17 PM »
ah doh want to get into de talk of whether dis is racist or not - de question in my mind is if dis approach has been effective. for as long as naeap has been around, it seem like de so-called "african" yuth turning out worse and worst! so either dis organization doing nothing (dey irrelevant) or dey contributing to de problem (dey gorn down de wrong path). either conclusion say cudjoe et. al. should swing round and come again.

it seem like everywhere dey try to promote african unity at the same time as uplift de people dey fail in de latter. yuh might find small pockets for a counter-example but national-level efforts along dese lines fail. is time to learn from de mistakes.

and hold dese jokers (i.e. cudjoe or in de usa dyson, sharpton, etc..) to account.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 04:00:56 AM »
ah doh want to get into de talk of whether dis is racist or not - de question in my mind is if dis approach has been effective. for as long as naeap has been around, it seem like de so-called "african" yuth turning out worse and worst! so either dis organization doing nothing (dey irrelevant) or dey contributing to de problem (dey gorn down de wrong path). either conclusion say cudjoe et. al. should swing round and come again.

it seem like everywhere dey try to promote african unity at the same time as uplift de people dey fail in de latter. yuh might find small pockets for a counter-example but national-level efforts along dese lines fail. is time to learn from de mistakes.

and hold dese jokers (i.e. cudjoe or in de usa dyson, sharpton, etc..) to account.
Ah see yuh still up tuh yuh c@ntish ways MR battyhole, and it seems the saying holds true " yuh cyar teach ah kakahole sense"!

you say the african yute tunin out woss and woss, but it funny how such an unsavory comment went unchecked, and not only dat, but i eh hear ah peep outa battyh@les like jumbie or them so called liberated site police who like tuh fly down ppl's throat when someones says something remotely bias against whites chinese or indians, but if i did say the same ting about any other ethnic group in TNT i woulda been the main course on the racist menu!

well FYI mr kakahole rabbit, the black yute woulda never been in this condition if colonialism and slavery didn't exist, also if the so called haves did use they money tuh create opportunity for the black yute instead of using dem tuh do they dirty work, then maybe the underprivileged black yute coulda rise up,

but when the drug dealin syrians and the bobol lovin indians take in the black uneducated economically deprave duncy head boy and give him drugs and gun tuh sell, then what yuh expect yuh backward subjective nannyhole?

where is the syrain and the other money hungry users in this scenario?

is every body tuh blame yuh c@nt!!!!!
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 05:56:49 AM »
speaking bout racist!

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 10:46:24 AM »
is manning fault .. He should a put ah ban on meh indian ppl frm having so much children..
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 02:28:31 PM »
all dis talk bout indian and african so antiquated.

so trinidad eh have no dougla?...and the way things going everybody go be some type ah dougla eventually. of course, polotrickians go then find a new way to polarize the coutry..."straighter hair dougla vs. curly hair dougla."

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 03:35:09 PM »
is manning fault .. He should a put ah ban on meh indian ppl frm having so much children..
war
I does only laugh tuh my self when trini's talk about how we all are one, but when it really matters yuh does see ppl's true colors come tuh light. now all of ah sudden man have indian ppl when all ahwee "SUPPOSED" tuh be ONE!!

i know one thing is true, when black man runnin they heart out and puttin TNT on the map in the sporting world, then all ahwee is one and the success belong tuh TNT, but when the black yute under the microscope for unsavory behavior then it's ah black thing, and not ah social break down in the society! then yuh does see man talkin bout they is indian and whatever, disassociating their self wid the black experience.
speaking bout racist!
Mr man, you wouldn't know ah racist if one jump out and landed smack on yuh nose! don't mistake racism wid truthism!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 09:05:59 PM by just cool »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 05:51:06 PM »
Ah see yuh still up tuh yuh c@ntish ways MR battyhole, and it seems the saying holds true " yuh cyar teach ah kakahole sense"!

you say the african yute tunin out woss and woss, but it funny how such an unsavory comment went unchecked, and not only dat, but i eh hear ah peep outa battyh@les like jumbie or them so called liberated site police who like tuh fly down ppl's throat when someones says something remotely bias against whites chinese or indians, but if i did say the same ting about any other ethnic group in TNT i woulda been the main course on the racist menu!

well FYI mr kakahole rabbit, the black yute woulda never been in this condition if colonialism and slavery didn't exist, also if the so called haves did use they money tuh create opportunity for the black yute instead of using dem tuh do they dirty work, then maybe the underprivileged black yute coulda rise up,

but when the drug dealin syrians and the bobol lovin indians take in the black uneducated economically deprave duncy head boy and give him drugs and gun tuh sell, then what yuh expect yuh backward subjective nannyhole?

While I tend to be in general agreement with your sentiments regarding ribbit and his simple ways... the fact is that there is much truth to what he says when it comes to the situation with black yutes in TnT... both them AND their situation getting worse and worse.

Cuss him all yuh want but there is no denying that. Indeed you don't deny it... you just offer excuses as to why it is the way it is.  The why's are immaterial to the point of assessing what the current state of affairs is.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 06:05:43 PM »
The more things change the more they stay the same. 1970 Geddes and them turn the place upside down. 40 yrs now Cudjoe saying almost the same things Geddes was saying. Why are Afro-Trinis still in this position.

They use to call Geddes racist for he pro-african stance. Now he mellow like jello and is big minister. All I have to say with all them Black, African organizations whether home or abraoad. When they come with their programs to save Black/African youths, they better come with their own resources to carry out these programs. NJAC, NEAAP, NAACP, Garvey's organization all had good intentions but fell thru or did not live up to promise because these orginations did not have the money to support. Well the NAACP still around but struggling. That is one of the few organizations I have some faith in because they were in the thick of things in the civil rights in the US and (to me) is still relevant.

But  People will listen to so much talk in the short term. If they not getting money (a job) all the talk will be mere rethoric and the saviour will be looked upon as a charlatan.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 09:28:27 PM »

While I tend to be in general agreement with your sentiments regarding ribbit and his simple ways... the fact is that there is much truth to what he says when it comes to the situation with black yutes in TnT... both them AND their situation getting worse and worse.

Cuss him all yuh want but there is no denying that. Indeed you don't deny it... you just offer excuses as to why it is the way it is.  The why's are immaterial to the point of assessing what the current state of affairs is.
Breds, my point is not whether black yutes doing good or bad, my point is the way the man talkin is like black yutes are genetically predisposed tuh crime regardless of their class or upbringing, yuh eh see is ah whole race ah yutes he threw under the bus??

mind you, it have black yutes in TNT who doing quite well, but how come they have tuh share the blame wid every bad seed who look like dem? that's my point! the statement he made was extremely out of order! whether true or false.

is like me saying , the indian yutes in TNT gettin worst wid the drunk drivin ting, only runnin up the road fatality rate by killin dey self and innocent ppl on the road in the process after dey drink up dey puncheon. that would be an insult to ah whole race of ppl, not tuh mention the indian yutes who doh touch liquor or that is responsible drivers,

and the whole board would jump on it not too long after it left my finger tips, hek, even the african members would jump on it harder than the ppl it was said against.  that's my point, it was totally out of order!!!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 10:44:13 AM by just cool »

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 08:17:22 AM »
jc, my intention with the words "so-called african yuths" was to employ de same framing put forth by cudjoe, where he voices his concern about de problems of "africans" in T&T.

Unless we do this, the maddening killing will continue; the rising crime will continue

cudjoe is de one claiming to have de big ideas and yet look at de harvest. things getting worse not better.

bourbon and jah gol use a better framing, casting this problem in terms of "urban poverty." something can be done about poverty - economic revitalization, public investment, etc.. maybe manning's "big building" approach mightn't wuk but surely something better can be attempted; particularly something that will bypass de old politics of race.

deeks is right - dis race theory :bs: has absorbed alot of energy. de premise is, as you yourself have articulated, all de big problems are exogenous - is de black man vs. de rest of de world. where does this lead? that de nation must be built to accommodate de black man - a next zimbabwe.  ::) 

de choice is yours.

I agree with many things said by cudjoe, until i read this statement below.

He said he was concerned that the African would become “irrelevant” in T&T, as many black men living in the “ghetto” did not expect to live until 30. He added that 40 per cent of the population is East Indians, whereas 37.5 per cent are Africans. “This divide is likely to grow as time goes on...We might see the same pattern that has emerged in Guyana, in which the dominant group will hold power in perpetuity,” Cudjoe said.

why would afro-trinis become irrelevant? The honorable Dr.Williams knew that indo-trini birth rates were higher since oxaal's study in the early sixties and would eventually eclipse all other races. This is not new data, nor is tt like guyana, totally different kettle of fish there.

The ruling party is a mixed party and is not overrun with indo-trinis, plus the nation is becoming more politically aware.

However, I believe strongly that the youths in the ghetto need the support and programs to get them away from the path of crime, Cudjoe is trying to tie in to many different issues into one here.

very good points. probably cudjoe would disagree with you about de ruling party. like he scruntin of a 10 years funding from de government.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 10:46:55 AM by ribbit »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 06:20:32 PM »
All yuh could call Cudjoe a racist or a charlatan. Cudjoe like many people of African descent are concern about the marginal yutes. They getting kill and killing people. Black yutes don't produces cocain. They don't have boats to bring it in the country. They don't have banks and business to launder the money, yet the majority of the murders and victims are black.

As I said before. Anybody bringing forth any ideas, plans or program better have their own resources to back it up. Them marginal yutes need to work to keep them away from trouble. Cudjoe organization does not have any factories or busineses to employ them yutes. Gov't has to help everybody and not black people alone. So there is the catch-22. Cudjoe and them have to create some kinder of employment for them and not keep repeating about all the ills of the black man. We heard that from Geddes already.

1]; } ?>