March 28, 2024, 04:39:55 AM

Author Topic: Jones relishes Caribbean connection.  (Read 3450 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Jones relishes Caribbean connection.
« on: August 13, 2010, 09:15:52 AM »
Jones relishes Caribbean connection.
The Staffordshire.

Think of great Caribbean combinations and you think of Hall and Griffith, The Three Ws, Greenidge and Haynes, Ambrose and Walsh, Bob Marley and The Wailers... Fuller and Jones?

It has a bit of a ring to it and, given a fair wind, that partnership could become one of the very best to grace Stoke City's recent history.

"We will see how that goes," said Jones modestly. "I have worked with Ricardo before at Southampton, so maybe we can strike a partnership to help take this club forward.

"It's nice being with him again because on and off the pitch we have an understanding. We are good friends and, hopefully, that will tell in our game.

"He's a typical Caribbean striker," said Jones of his Jamaican play-mate.

"He works hard and applies his skill to the game."

Jones arrived at the Britannia after a year in which others, Liverpool included by all accounts, were interested in his signature.

But only Tony Pulis, it seems, consistently chased his man before finally snaring him this week.

"Quite a few managers were trying to get me," he said, "but it's nice to know one manager kept going.

"It's important to know that because it gives a player confidence in himself and confidence in his manager.

"I worked with him five years ago, so I know what he is like and I know what he expects.

"Of course he expects you to work hard. But in football, to work hard is the only way to get your rewards."

Jones scored three goals in 13 appearances first time around at Stoke during a short loan spell in the first half of 2005.

He's spent a few hours in the gym since then, judging by his change in appearance, and his reputation has grown even longer than his hair since that first coming at Stoke.

"I was young back then and just breaking into the league," recalled the 25-year-old.

"It was a good experience for me here and I've come on leaps and bounds since then.

"The club has changed a lot, but I remember the stadium and the supporters being very good."

Those fans are ready to take another new striker to their heart and Jones is happy to be that man.

"Firstly I have to do it for the team and then the crowd will see the end result for the team," he said.

His three years at Sunderland included a player-of-the-year award and plenty of plaudits from the Wearside faithful, but establishing the same rapport with manager Steve Bruce would never prove quite so easy.

Bruce couldn't wait to cash in this summer, it seemed, and he has since expressed his frustration at failing to coax the best out of Jones.

Jones himself is keen to sidestep a public slanging match, however, and diplomatically turned the other cheek after hearing Bruce's comments for himself on Sky.

"To be quite honest, when I went in to say my goodbyes, I just wished them all the best," he explained.

"I am not concentrating on what Steve had to say or is saying. I'm just focused on what I have to do here.

"I had a good three years there and I want to thank the club and the staff for what they did.

"Now I just hope the club becomes an even bigger club in the future."

Meanwhile, on an ESPN exclusive with Mark Lomas, Jones former Sunderland teammate Fraizer Campbell said when asked: "Now Kenwyne Jones left the club to join Stoke on Wednesday - does that improve your chances of getting regular first-team football"

Campbell replied: "We've got a good, tight squad here and I was good friends with him, he's a good player and I hope he does well. Every time a player leaves the club you might miss them a little bit but at the same time it gives other people the opportunity to step up and show what they're made of and hopefully we will get a few people stepping up to the plate and doing well, ended Frazier."

Craddock wary of Kenwyne Jones threat.

Former Stoke defender Jody Craddock is determined to stop Kenwyne Jones battering down the Wolves defence for the third game running.

The centre-half goes head-to-head with Jones tomorrow when City's £8m club record signing is expected to make his debut.

The 35-year-old won practically every aerial challenge when the Potters visited Molineux last season, but is expecting to face an even tougher battle now Stoke have prised Jones away from Sunderland.

Wolves know all about Jones. The 25-year-old striker scored twice against them in Sunderland's 5-2 win at the Stadium of Light last September, when Craddock was on the bench.

The veteran played 90 minutes of the return match at Molineux when Jones scored Sunderland's opener before Wolves came back to win 2-1.

Craddock said: "He's certainly a handful and he's a player we've got to look out for.

"It could be down to me to mark him, but whatever happens, I need to concentrate.

"If I get my game right, I'm confident I can deal with these players.

"Making his debut, he's going to want to make a quick impression and I'm going to have to be at my best against him."

Craddock spent the first month of Stoke's 2007/2008 Championship promotion season on loan at the Britannia Stadium and is an avid admirer of the job Tony Pulis is doing at City.

He believes Wolves, who are in their second successive season in the Premier League, can emulate Stoke, who are beginning their third.

He said: "Stoke have done well – they maintained their position in the Premier League and they have stepped it up.

"Now they have proved they mean business by signing a player like Kenwyne Jones.

"They want to stay in the Premier League and, by buying players like that, they're making sure they do.

"That's what we want to follow at Wolves by staying up again this season and attracting better players – that's how it's done.

"You need to build a good foundation and that's what they've done."

There was little entertainment in City's goalless draw at Molineux last season in a game more notable for a succession of Rory Delap long throws than any goalmouth action.

Craddock added: "I don't know if it's going to be any prettier – maybe not of Rory Delap is fit with his throws.

"We know how they play – they're big and strong, so it's a very tough opener for us, but it's one that we should relish.

"We have to match Stoke's brute force and try to play our game because we know we can pass the ball very well."
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 09:21:08 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
Re: Jones relishes Caribbean connection.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 10:13:29 AM »
Ricardo Fuller Slaps His Captain Andy Griffin - Stoke Vs West Ham

:rotfl:

I feel he jus like to slap man oui.  When I was ah yute an gettin in fights de fuss ting I use to look to do was leave meh han print on ah fella face.  Nutten more insultin dan slappin ah man in he face except fuh spittin in he face to me.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 10:22:16 AM »

Ricardo Fuller is a head case sometimes...I recall him fighting in with Damion and Demar Stewart (brothers) while they were preparing for a crucial world cup qualifier last campaign.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 11:07:41 AM »

Well Kenwyne better dont miss any sitters...........lol.

But then again, monkey know what tree to climb.
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 11:18:44 AM »
Fuller eh go watch KJ and come round him so....Kenwyne will beat dat and make him say tanx....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 11:55:06 AM »
So another of our " stars " seems to be on a downward spiral . Long time our players moved up but if the news for Jones, Scotland etc are true they heading the wrong way. question  is therefore ...are our players today worse than our players of yesterday ? ..if so ...what can we do to chage that ?

I much prefer discussing what we can do to arrest the slide rather than just jumping on de next backwards ship becafuse it have an trinidadian crewman ....see how easy we could go rom Sunderland forever to Stoke forever ?..two teams whose football is so hard on the eyes and neck !

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 11:58:55 AM »
Imagine Jones and Fuller  as the strikers on a Caribbean football team. 8)

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 04:55:10 PM »

where is the slap?  I did not see it.  looked like both players were walking towards eachother and another player got in between them before things could heat up.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jones joins Fuller upfront for Stoke vs Wolves
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 08:08:07 AM »
jones hit the bar
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 08:10:44 AM »

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 08:11:54 AM »
Jones wearingh #9 and just went down with a bad tackle, does not look good!! >:( edit* he just got sub, looks like a sprain ankle.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 08:14:55 AM by triniairman »

truetrini

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 08:14:54 AM »
Jones subbed out  limping and in obvious pain

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 08:29:04 AM »
Hard luck dey KJ... EPL need tuh clean up it's act as ah say.

truetrini

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 08:32:03 AM »
man was in tears...ref eh d nutten, tackle was rough and hard...looks serious as he was walkinglimping  off crying

Offline Phensic

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 10:18:01 AM »
Anybody know how serious it is yet???

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 10:25:17 AM »
more drama
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2010, 06:30:37 PM »
f#ck Fuller
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Trini boi

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 01:30:18 AM »
damn jody...he really stop jones....he went in with two feet; should've been carded hands down

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Jones: the striker who got away from Liverpool and Rafael Benítez.
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2010, 05:23:30 AM »
Kenwyne Jones: the striker who got away from Liverpool and Rafael Benítez.
By Duncan White (telegraph.co.uk).

If Rafael Benítez had had his way in January then Kenwyne Jones would be emerging from Anfield's famous tunnel on Sunday in the red shirt of Liverpool.

March 2010 - What with Fernando Torres's problems with injury and the lack of quality strikers in his squad, the Liverpool manager wanted to sign Jones in the transfer window but the club did not want to meet Sunderland's £10 million valuation.

For Sunderland the projected transfer was like a bad New Year's hangover that just got worse by the day and with a week left before the the close of the window Steve Bruce, the Sunderland manager, snapped, describing the manner of Benítez's pursuit of his player as "hugely disrespectful".

Sport on television "What happened is that January was January and now it's March and it's all over," Jones said. "That's all that happened. However long the transfer windows have been in effect there has always been something like that happening at some club. It's nothing new, the same old script."

Jones's desire to put the whole episode behind him is understandable. The speculation came halfway through a winless streak of 14 games for Sunderland, a sequence that pushed them towards relegation. "It was like we started tripping down some stairs and we just kept falling down and down until we hit the floor," he said.

Jones has helped lift the team off the floor and get them climbing again. For the last two months he had started to show the kind of form that brought him to Benítez's attention last season. A hip injury has kept him out of the last two games but he is optimistic of returning to the side today, a side who, after five games without defeat, are finally beginning to move in the right direction again.

Not that the wings of Jones's ambition have been clipped. "Like any footballer you don't want to be a fixture," he said. "What you want is to achieve something. You want to be one of the greats of football and win something. Some people, like me so far, have not been able to win anything throughout their career. You want to be in the place where you can win the big trophies and all the stuff that matters.

"All the attention? It's a pat on the back for me that I'm doing something that people recognise and they want. That itself propels me to keep working harder and keep doing the things I've been doing. Hopefully I can continue that until my knees go bad and I can't play any more, that I can fulfil the dream of playing at the highest level, winning things."

At 25 Jones has learned to seize every opportunity. As a promising Trinidad youth international his life was completely changed by the birth of his son Isaiah, when he was still just 18. "Having a kid on its own is an experience but having a kid at that age when you think you have your whole life ahead of you... it doesn't stop your life, it just propels you in a direction. It propelled me in a direction and I thank God for that."

Jones – "decently smart" – had full scholarship offers from some 20 American universities but feared college life would kill his hunger for football. So he went on a punishing series of trials with European clubs, even spending a week with Manchester United. "David Beckham was still there, Juan Sebastian Veron, Dwight Yorke, Laurent Blanc, Ruud van Nistelrooy and Roy Keane – it was the biggest experience I'd had in my career so far."

Like so many other trials, it did not work out and, with the responsibility towards his family, Jones imposed a deadline to get a contract. If not he would go into the army, like his schoolfriend and former Sunderland team-mate Carlos Edwards.

"I'd been on trial at a lot of places, probably three months at a time. It wasn't nice being away from home for that long at that age and living out of my suitcase. I didn't want it to drag on for me. I wanted to make a decision and have something steady happening. For me it was do or die, now or never."

That determination resulted in a move to Southampton in 2004. It took a while for Jones to get into the kind of physical shape needed in English football but when he did, catalysed by a productive loan move to Sheffield Wednesday, he emerged as an intimidatingly powerful striker. In 2007 Keane took him to Sunderland for £6 million, where his rapid progress continued, John Terry describing him as the best he had faced in the air in the Premier League.

His playing style has earned comparisons with Didier Drogba and it is the paucity of players with those kind of capabilities that make Jones a coveted player. "Thankfully I'm 25 and not 32 [Drogba's age].

I guess it's good to be in that mode because it fits me into a certain script: necessity to demand. You don't want to be superfluous. You don't want to be like everyone else. Thankfully I'm different. That's what people want and I hope it will stay like that for a long time."

Kenwyne Jones was speaking at Lumley Junior School after taking part in one of Sunderland's Family Learning Through Football sessions as part of the Premier League's Places for Players scheme.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Warrior till death

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIOR NATION MEMBER #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2010, 11:28:21 AM »
hard luck scene for Tony Pulis...thas a similar injury Jones pick up b4 on the same leg...he go be out for at least 7 weeks

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 10:55:04 AM »
any news on kenwyne yet??

That was one stink tackle.. Kenwyne trap the ball with his back to the player and this wild imps come in skating from behind with one nasty scissors tackle.. Shoulda been a red card.

he rock up the crossbar just before that too.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 01:47:14 PM »
any news on kenwyne yet??

That was one stink tackle.. Kenwyne trap the ball with his back to the player and this wild imps come in skating from behind with one nasty scissors tackle.. Shoulda been a red card.

he rock up the crossbar just before that too.

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/news/Stoke-City-Anxious-wait-Jones-injury-news-Pulis-targets-signings/article-2530097-detail/article.html

1]; } ?>