April 19, 2024, 12:47:11 AM

Author Topic: 2010 FIBA World Championships  (Read 10307 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
2010 FIBA World Championships
« on: August 23, 2010, 06:38:06 PM »
Anybody following developments, especially the brawl between Greece and Serbia on Sunday?  Nenad Krstic of the Oklahoma City Thunder pull ah real bitch move by trying tuh ress some cuff on Sofoklis "Baby Shaq" Schorsanitis of Greece's back.  Baby Shaq turn around and start to go after him, Krstic beat ah hasty retreat and when people get between dem, say he picking up ah chair to pelt it at Baby Shaq. He end up bussing ah next Greek player head and police in Turkey lock him up overnight fuh he troubles.  FIBA weighing a suspension, watch them pull ah David Stern and come down hard, b/c they know the eyes of the world on them and want to keep up appearances that they like the NBA.

Here's the vid:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/T_wadUTZXCo&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/T_wadUTZXCo&amp;feature=related</a>

Anyways, here's the link to the site for the Games http://turkey2010.fiba.com/eng, and the ESPN TV Schedule.  The opener is set for Saturday.

The ESPN schedule:

Saturday, Aug 28 (noon): Croatia vs. U.S., ESPN Classic
Sunday, Aug 29 (9:30 a.m.): U.S. vs. Slovenia, ESPN2
Monday, Aug 30 (2:30 p.m.): Brazil vs. U.S., ESPN
Wednesday, Sept 1 (noon): U.S. vs. vs. Iran, ESPN
Thursday, Sept 2 (9:30 a.m.): Tunisia vs. U.S., ESPN2
Sunday, Sept. 5 or Monday, Sept 6 (11 a.m. or 2 p.m.): U.S. vs. TBD (eighth-round telecast date/time contingent upon U.S. performance in the preliminary round), ESPN Classic or ESPN2
Wednesday, Sept. 8, or Thursday, Sept 9 (11 a.m. or 2 p.m.): U.S. vs. TBD (quarterfinal telecast date/time contingent upon U.S. performance in the preliminary round), ESPN Classic
Saturday, Sept 11 (noon): First semifinal, ESPN Classic
(2:30 p.m.) Second semifinal, ESPN Classic
Sunday, Sept 12 (noon): Third-place game, ESPN Classic
(2:30 p.m.): Championship game, ESPN

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 FIBA World Championships
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 08:43:23 AM »
that's real action.  kinda cool that the man name Sofoklis.  I wonder if that's still a common name in Greece.

I saw half of the US-Lithuania game and I read that the US needed some last-second heroics from Kevin Durant to beat Spain in the last exhibition.

go be interesting to see how this group of NBA players holds up to the international ball.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 02:22:08 PM »
ATHENS, Greece (AP) -- The U.S. national basketball team finalized its roster for the world championships when Celtics star Rajon Rondo asked to withdraw from consideration.
Rondo had started the Americans first two exhibition games, then surprisingly didn't play at all Sunday when the U.S. edged Spain.
The final 12-man roster set Tuesday includes: Kevin Durant, Derrick Rose, Rudy Gay, Lamar Odom, Chauncey Billups, Danny Granger, Russell Westbrook, Eric Gordon, Stephen Curry, Kevin Love, Tyson Chandler and Andre Iguodala.
Coach Mike Krzyzewski's team has one more tuneup against Greece on Wednesday. The world championships start Saturday in Turkey and run through Sept. 12.

Original location: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/08/24/rondo.usa.ap/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0xYaIdbBn

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 05:10:24 PM »
they send ah C team,they gettin licks.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 05:18:52 PM »
ATHENS, Greece (AP) -- The U.S. national basketball team finalized its roster for the world championships when Celtics star Rajon Rondo asked to withdraw from consideration.
Rondo had started the Americans first two exhibition games, then surprisingly didn't play at all Sunday when the U.S. edged Spain.
The final 12-man roster set Tuesday includes: Kevin Durant, Derrick Rose, Rudy Gay, Lamar Odom, Chauncey Billups, Danny Granger, Russell Westbrook, Eric Gordon, Stephen Curry, Kevin Love, Tyson Chandler and Andre Iguodala.
Coach Mike Krzyzewski's team has one more tuneup against Greece on Wednesday. The world championships start Saturday in Turkey and run through Sept. 12.

Original location: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/nba/08/24/rondo.usa.ap/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0xYaIdbBn

Surprised by this... they need shooters on the floor, but Rose only marginally better than Rondo at that.  I'd certainly give Rondo the edge on defense.  Ah well...

Capo... dey might shock yuh.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 06:12:21 PM »
yeah, I just kinda figured Westbrook woulda be the man to get leave out at the end of the day.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 11:09:04 PM »
yeah, I just kinda figured Westbrook woulda be the man to get leave out at the end of the day.

Westbrook's game is growing though... in addition to the series against the Lakers during the First Round, he sparked the US last week against Spain.  I feel somebody get in Rondo's ear b/c remember he averaged some craziness like 35-36 minutes per game during the season... and over 40 mins per game (had to look that one up) in the playoffs.  That's a lot of wear and tear on a team that's already pushing retirement age.  Not beyond the pale for me to see a coach or team official telling him to take the summer off and get some rest instead.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 02:03:30 PM »
That is a talented team and they have some shooters with Granger, Durrant, Curry in addition to Rose. As Bakes said they might surprize you.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 08:04:23 PM »
That is a talented team and they have some shooters with Granger, Durrant, Curry in addition to Rose. As Bakes said they might surprize you.

I wouldn't be surprised if a team like Spain or Serbia trip them up to be honest, because those are deep, mature and talented teams.  But this young team has a nice mix of athleticism, rebounding and shooting.  Whether they can put those three together on a consistent basis and round it out with solid NBA-caliber defense remains to be seen, but there's no denying the potential.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 08:39:51 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if a team like Spain or Serbia trip them up to be honest, because those are deep, mature and talented teams.  But this young team has a nice mix of athleticism, rebounding and shooting.  Whether they can put those three together on a consistent basis and round it out with solid NBA-caliber defense remains to be seen, but there's no denying the potential.

True...yuh talk sense day. Ah wonder why Rondo opted out, yuh think he had a fall out with coach K?

And on an unrelated note...ah know yuh's ah around de horn man, ah see jay mariotti got arrested over the weekend. De man who's always so highly critical of athletes.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 09:34:59 PM »
True...yuh talk sense day. Ah wonder why Rondo opted out, yuh think he had a fall out with coach K?

And on an unrelated note...ah know yuh's ah around de horn man, ah see jay mariotti got arrested over the weekend. De man who's always so highly critical of athletes.

Ah miss dat... you serious?  Ah going and look it up.  Ah was liming in NY (Capo doh kill mih was ah in and out scenes) and didn't even have time tuh log on or turn on the TV.

I really doh think de Rondo thing was a falling out... ah think he was discouraged by the fact that he was looking at serious competition from players with more rounded games than him at his position.  Rondo is essentially a one-trick pony with is penetration and unlike the Celtics, this squad has no big man whom to pass the ball off too.  If Stoudemire was able to get his release from the Knicks woulda been a different story, but right now all he have is Tyson Chandler.  Chandler's game is more defense and rebounding... scoring must come from outside and from the wings...not really suited to Rondo's drive and dish play.  That said, I still feel somebody in Boston got in his ear and told him to rest up.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 10:11:50 PM »

Ah miss dat... you serious?  Ah going and look it up.  Ah was liming in NY (Capo doh kill mih was ah in and out scenes) and didn't even have time tuh log on or turn on the TV.

I really doh think de Rondo thing was a falling out... ah think he was discouraged by the fact that he was looking at serious competition from players with more rounded games than him at his position.  Rondo is essentially a one-trick pony with is penetration and unlike the Celtics, this squad has no big man whom to pass the ball off too.  If Stoudemire was able to get his release from the Knicks woulda been a different story, but right now all he have is Tyson Chandler.  Chandler's game is more defense and rebounding... scoring must come from outside and from the wings...not really suited to Rondo's drive and dish play.  That said, I still feel somebody in Boston got in his ear and told him to rest up.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2010-08-21-jay-mariotti-arrest_N.htm?csp=obinsite

Well he definitely needs rest after a long and brutal post season

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 08:03:12 AM »

Wait nah Bakes is a big NFL AND NBA fan too?

Anyway, this US side have real licks to get.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 08:05:31 AM »
Wait nah Bakes is a big NFL AND NBA fan too?

Anybody who know me personally would tell you, I'z ah big sports fan dred.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 04:08:39 PM »
One of the many Ultimate Ball Jumbies from TT

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 08:13:16 PM »

Westbrook's game is growing though... in addition to the series against the Lakers during the First Round, he sparked the US last week against Spain. 

I like Westbrook.  Not as much as Derrick Rose but I really hope I get more opportunity to catch that team on tv next season.

I see they win the last exhibition easy.  I'm really hoping they win this tournament.  This is the one sport I doh have any reservations about supporting the US.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 10:14:52 PM »

Westbrook's game is growing though... in addition to the series against the Lakers during the First Round, he sparked the US last week against Spain. 

I like Westbrook.  Not as much as Derrick Rose but I really hope I get more opportunity to catch that team on tv next season.

I see they win the last exhibition easy.  I'm really hoping they win this tournament.  This is the one sport I doh have any reservations about supporting the US.

Yeah, they go get more air time, that team real exciting... on de strength of of Durant alone, let alone Westbrook, my boy Jeff Green and dis next one... keep yuh eye on James Harden.

-----------------------

Deeks if yuh only know, lol.   I spend so much time at the gym playing pick up ball in college it easily coulda been a second minor.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 10:02:18 AM »
US about to kick off the tournament vs. Croatia on ESPN Classic... Channel 614 on DirecTV, but yuh need to subscribe to the sports package in order to get the channel.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 03:44:47 PM »
US about to kick off the tournament vs. Croatia on ESPN Classic... Channel 614 on DirecTV, but yuh need to subscribe to the sports package in order to get the channel.
Dem fellas blow out that Croatia side.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 04:23:37 PM »

Yeah, wasn't even sure if ah wanted to come back and say anything about it... Croatia was long, but that was about it, dah side real fall off from their halcyon days in the mid-nineties when them and Lithuania ruled European basketball.  Now looks like their arch-rival the Serbs have them beat. 

US also did a good job dispatching Slovenia... better to beat down these teams early and send a message, while building confidence and momentum in the young squad.

In other games, was real surprised to see that Australia struggled against... wait for it... Jordan.  Not that Jordan any good... Angola beat them by 14 today... the same Angola who get beat by 50 against Serbia yesterday.

Argentina take two big scalps in Germany and Australia... ent worried about them, but those are good wins.  They'll give the US some problems with NBA vets like Scola, Oberto and Delfino.  Surprising the de fella from Chicago, well ah guess he with Philadelphia now, not on that squad... Nocioni.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2010, 07:54:17 PM »
2 easy wins this weekend.  Brasil tomorrow.

Between Durant and Derrick Rose I really can't wait for the NBA season to start.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2010, 08:19:06 PM »

Between Durant and Derrick Rose I really can't wait for the NBA season to start.

Rose looking nice... developing faster than I was willing to give him credit for.  This will only take his game to the next level, international competition is just a hair below NBA level, yet they throw shit at you that you never see in the NBA, both in terms of rules and in terms of how the opponents play you.  I'm grudgingly giving him credit b/c part of me is still a hater... lol

I'll have to DVR that Brasil game, should be good.  They no longer have a game-changer like Oscar Schmidt, and even if they did his impact today wouldn't be as great because in the last 20 yrs we've seen lots of big men who could shoot it from distance... be it Arvydas Sabonis, to Dirk Nowitzki to even Biz Z (Ilgauskas).  Still they're highly-regarded.  Don't know much about them though... off the top of my head the only Brazilian players I can think of are Nene Hilario, Anderson Varejao and Leandro Barbosa... there's another dark-skinned dude who's face I can picture, but can't bring up the name or team, playing in the NBA as well.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 07:37:18 AM »

Rose looking nice... developing faster than I was willing to give him credit for.  This will only take his game to the next level, international competition is just a hair below NBA level, yet they throw shit at you that you never see in the NBA, both in terms of rules and in terms of how the opponents play you.  I'm grudgingly giving him credit b/c part of me is still a hater... lol

I'll have to DVR that Brasil game, should be good.  They no longer have a game-changer like Oscar Schmidt, and even if they did his impact today wouldn't be as great because in the last 20 yrs we've seen lots of big men who could shoot it from distance... be it Arvydas Sabonis, to Dirk Nowitzki to even Biz Z (Ilgauskas).  Still they're highly-regarded.  Don't know much about them though... off the top of my head the only Brazilian players I can think of are Nene Hilario, Anderson Varejao and Leandro Barbosa... there's another dark-skinned dude who's face I can picture, but can't bring up the name or team, playing in the NBA as well.
the jazz boy...araujo
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 11:34:21 AM »

Yeah, wasn't even sure if ah wanted to come back and say anything about it... Croatia was long, but that was about it, dah side real fall off from their halcyon days in the mid-nineties when them and Lithuania ruled European basketball.  Now looks like their arch-rival the Serbs have them beat. 

US also did a good job dispatching Slovenia... better to beat down these teams early and send a message, while building confidence and momentum in the young squad.

In other games, was real surprised to see that Australia struggled against... wait for it... Jordan.  Not that Jordan any good... Angola beat them by 14 today... the same Angola who get beat by 50 against Serbia yesterday.

Argentina take two big scalps in Germany and Australia... ent worried about them, but those are good wins.  They'll give the US some problems with NBA vets like Scola, Oberto and Delfino.  Surprising the de fella from Chicago, well ah guess he with Philadelphia now, not on that squad... Nocioni.

I haven't had the chance to watch any of the games yet but I always take in the highlights on sportscenter. From just watching the highlights I seeing dem fellas real hussling, scoring points and sprinting back down the court on defense, ah say like coach K using the Duke philosophy with this team. No star boy thing or big ego, either yuh come it and play with eveything or sit on the bench.

They blowing out teams so far so we'll see how they do next rounds. We'll see how they deal with a team that's fundamentally sounds and shooting lights out.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 01:05:47 PM »
Brasil playing very well so far.  Up by 5 in the 2nd quarter.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2010, 06:13:32 PM »
game finish as a real nail-biter.  USA by 2.

Kevin Durant might actually be the best player in the NBA as early as right now as far as I see.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2010, 07:43:37 PM »
game finish as a real nail-biter.  USA by 2.

Kevin Durant might actually be the best player in the NBA as early as right now as far as I see.

I doubt it... the international game isn't as physical and favors jump-shooters so he's flourishing right now.  He needs to get stronger so that he could develop a better low-post game in my mind... but right now he has the long-range shooting, the mid-range and the rebounding.  He's a scorer supreme.

As for the game, after all the ole talk I clean forget to record the game... saw that they won by a squeaker.  From what I read they encouraged the Brazilians to shoot from outside and get torched, lol

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 04:43:01 PM »

As I said before

Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 09:18:25 PM »

As I said before

Well so far they 3-0 and next up is Iran.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2010, 11:48:14 PM »

As I said before

Well so far they 3-0 and next up is Iran.

Yuh suppose tuh pretend yuh in bizarro world... yuh eh realize?

In checking out the highlights Spain vs. Lithuania seems like it was one heckuva game.  Rudy Fernadez is one jumping Spaniard boy... I still ambivalent about that rumored move to the Knicks though, not convinced he'll be worth the cost.  That said... he absolutely get posterized by ah Lituanian around the 1:10 mark or so.  Is like he jump convinced he could block it, except the Lituanian had half a step and momentum, and Fernandez try tuh duck outta de way last minute...lol
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 12:15:19 AM by Bake n Shark »

1]; } ?>