April 26, 2024, 02:53:55 PM

Author Topic: NFL 2010 Season  (Read 8752 times)

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
NFL 2010 Season
« on: August 26, 2010, 08:09:39 AM »
I don't know if this thread has been done before,  but it will be interesting to see where everyone's allegiance lies.

Also what are your predictions for this season? Many people on the Jets bandwagon.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: NFL 2010 Season
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 07:55:09 PM »
I was thinking of starting this thread not too long ago.

Off the top of my head, some of the major storylines (either in terms of actual substance or entertainment value):

• Eagles trade McNabb within the division.  As a side-effect of this Jason Campbell ends up improving the Raiders drastically.
  • TO teams up with Ochocinco in Cincinnatti.
  • Darrelle Revis has been the most prominent holdout of this offseason
  • the 7th annual Brett Favre retirement saga concluded with the Vikings successfully dispatching 3 of his favourite teammates to Mississippi to convince him to come back for one last one last time.  Brett then added an extra twist by pre-retiring for next year.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 08:02:51 PM »
I don't know if this thread has been done before,  but it will be interesting to see where everyone's allegiance lies.

Also what are your predictions for this season? Many people on the Jets bandwagon.

I like Green Bay.  I'm not a true fan of any team but Charles Woodson is one of my favourite players and I really started to dislike the Favre circus toward the end of his tenure in Green Bay.  Once he left all the pieces were in place for me to be a Packer "fan".  I think they could go far.  Aaron Rodgers is the real deal.

The other player I'd really like to see get a ring is Randy Moss.  Except for the fact that he plays for a Boston team.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 07:43:34 AM »
Aaron Rodgers might be a top 3 QB right now. Definitely top 5.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 09:10:42 AM »
well the defending Champs beat the Vikes on Thursday night and the season really gets going in a couple hours.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 04:50:32 AM »
bad start, but looking for my 9ers to make the playoffs.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 06:14:12 AM »
Aside from the Giants winning comfortably, if not convincingly... the two best results on the weekend for me came Monday night.  Anytime Phillip Rivers loses it's a good night for me.  Couldn't have been happier than seeing the upstart, blowhard Jets get their comeuppance.  New England next up for them, smells like another cutass booked.

I can't cheer too loud... we'll be playing a highly motivated Colts team which has lost it's opener for the first time in God knows how long.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 09:31:37 AM »
Bakes you from NY? I dunno why I always thought you were from DC or someting.

Dunno why y'all hate the JETS, I can't help but like Rex Ryan. I think any player in the league would want to platy for him. That defense is NASTY. If they had a capable quarterback, Baltimore doesn't even score 10.

I'm an Arizona fan and am happy that the 49ers are terrible despite all the pre-season hype.

I hate Rivers too as well as their GM who is an obnoxious @$$.

No way the Giants beat the Colts. Little brother just doh beat big briother jus so.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 02:52:26 PM »
Bakes you from NY? I dunno why I always thought you were from DC or someting.

Dunno why y'all hate the JETS, I can't help but like Rex Ryan. I think any player in the league would want to platy for him. That defense is NASTY. If they had a capable quarterback, Baltimore doesn't even score 10.

I'm an Arizona fan and am happy that the 49ers are terrible despite all the pre-season hype.

I hate Rivers too as well as their GM who is an obnoxious @$$.

No way the Giants beat the Colts. Little brother just doh beat big briother jus so.

I move to Brooklyn after leaving TnT in Form Six... finish HS there before moving to DC fuh college.  Every now and then I'll drop ah DC reference so that is probably why yuh make the association.

As fuh de Chargers, Rivers is a cocky prick... can't wait for somebody put they knuckle down he throat.  On second and goal I think it was, on the final drive as they were trying to tie the game in the dregs... he threw to his receiver who slipped coming out of his break but the ball was already away.  It was an incompletion but was nearly intercepted.  Rivers run over to the man and start complaining as though the receiver had anything to do with the loose sod.  Sure enough the receiver start protesting back to him.  Ah mean is not a big deal, I sure he means nothing by it and his team mates probably used to it by now... but it does irritate me de way he does act on the field.  Nothing like Drew Brees, whom I've always liked.

I also like Norv, ever since his Redskins days... as much as I loved when we beat them.  John Smith or whatever the GM name is, is ah total prick head though.  I doh like Schottenheimer too much, but they way they treated him (and later, LT) was criminal.

------------------------------------
Hard to proclaim the 49'rs as "terrible" after one game.  Great defense, great running game, good receivers.  Shitty QB play.  Watch de ride for Carr to start by Week 3... always loved that dude, as maligned as he was in Houston.

------------------------------------

The Jets are a bunch of loudmouth know-nothings.  Rex Ryan sets the table and the players dine on their particular brand of "I haven't done shit yet, but you wouldn't know that by the way I act".  Ryan no different from his father... but at least Buddy could back it up by showing that he won a couple NFC East titles w/ the Eagles.  Even as a Jints fan I used to like that team and to this day Cunningham is still one of my favorite NFL players of all time... even have the autographed game jersey to prove it.  Even so Buddy was ah asshole, and Rex is no different.  I doh use words like "hate" unless in the colloquial sense, but I hating on that team b/c of how they carry on at the end of last season talking shit about the Giants b/c the Giants lost the last game at Giants Stadium (to the Panthers), while they won against the Colts.  That and all the talk about how the Jets are NY's team now.  I suppose the Giants and our 3 SuperBowl trophies in the past 25 yrs have nothing to say regarding that.

Even if the Giants do nothing this year... a great season for me would be watching that Jets team implode.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 01:57:06 PM »
well important game for the Jets kicking off in a few minutes.  after all the talk in the offseason a loss today just might break them.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 03:24:52 PM »
Jets doing alright so far... Sanchez looks a lot better than he did Monday night.  Cincy's defeat of the mighty Ravens puts the Jets loss in stark perspective though.

Detroit-Philadelphia game earlier... Michael Vick is back.  What a game this guy had, almost 300 yards passing, close to 100 rushing... kept numerous plays alive with his feet, accurate throws, smart decisions.  I hope Philly bounce they head and start Kolb when we play them.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 05:26:05 PM »
Jets pull it out.  They get Braylon Edwards involved as opposed to last week.

I feel Vick have the Eagles job for the rest of the season.   

Real good ending in this Redskins-Texans game going on now.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 06:47:24 AM »
Jets pull it out.  They get Braylon Edwards involved as opposed to last week.

I feel Vick have the Eagles job for the rest of the season.   

Real good ending in this Redskins-Texans game going on now.

Hardluck loss fuh de Skins... Texans are a not so silent force.

Giants put down a real stinker last night... got the defense totally wrong and it changed the entire complexion of the game.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 12:17:15 PM »
Andy Reid say Kolb will get the start in week 3 in Jacksonville.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 12:44:33 PM »

as expected, he needs to justify his decision to trade mcnabb and prove himself right, how will it look if he benches kolb who he claims kolb is good enough to replace mcnabb...it is only a matter of time before vick starts...the couple games kolb played last season he looked good so it is unlikely a player once fit will lose his starting role due to injury.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 03:43:02 PM »
Andy Reid is one of the most loyal coaches you'll find. Kolb's spot is safe. I like Vick, but the jury still out. Let's see how he does against a top notch defense first.

A lot of pretenders out there... Vikings, Pats, Jets, Giants, the NFC west etc.... This season will be interesting

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 05:42:14 PM »
I like Vick, but the jury still out. Let's see how he does against a top notch defense first.

It's not as if Vick doesn't have a track record.  He's a 3-time Pro Bowler and his Falcons teams averaged slightly better than 9 wins a season while never being very talented.  He's a big game player since VaTech days.

I think he is clearly better than Kolb but I understand why the coach/organization feel they have to give Kolb a fair trial.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 07:20:24 PM »

as expected, he needs to justify his decision to trade mcnabb and prove himself right, how will it look if he benches kolb who he claims kolb is good enough to replace mcnabb...it is only a matter of time before vick starts...the couple games kolb played last season he looked good so it is unlikely a player once fit will lose his starting role due to injury.

Starting Kolb have little to do with justifying the trade if you ask me... they have money tied up in Kolb whereas Vick is a free agent after this season.  They need for Kolb to show what he can do so that they can make a determination about the franchise.  At this point he's only had 2 1/2 games as a starter, and those two were spectacular games (albeit one against an inferior Chiefs team).

Vick to me is the better short-term option... much more dangerous.  The "jury is out" on him to the extent that we don't know if he's still the same QB he was in Atlanta, or a better or worse QB.  He seems to have made much progress in my book, but his history of inconsistency mitigates against drawing premature conclusions based on only 1 1/2 games.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:21:55 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 04:32:20 AM »
we don't know if he's still the same QB he was in Atlanta, or a better or worse QB.  He seems to have made much progress in my book, but his history of inconsistency mitigates against drawing premature conclusions based on only 1 1/2 games.

I don't think he will be a worse QB.  I think his past inconsistency was a function of the fact that he was never really a complete QB.

this might be splitting hairs but I think the atypical Vick game was almost always better than the norm.  The norm didn't always suffice.   

A not uncommon scenario in Atlanta would be for Vick to turn a few broken plays into a lot of points and yards and the team would eke out a win while being totally unspectacular otherwise.  Of course you can't win like that every Sunday.

All of this is just to argue that inconsistency won't make him worse than he was in Atlanta.  I am a fan so I think/hope he will be better but that is something else.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 06:06:40 AM »

Starting Kolb have little to do with justifying the trade if you ask me... they have money tied up in Kolb whereas Vick is a free agent after this season.  They need for Kolb to show what he can do so that they can make a determination about the franchise.  At this point he's only had 2 1/2 games as a starter, and those two were spectacular games (albeit one against an inferior Chiefs team).

Vick to me is the better short-term option... much more dangerous.  The "jury is out" on him to the extent that we don't know if he's still the same QB he was in Atlanta, or a better or worse QB.  He seems to have made much progress in my book, but his history of inconsistency mitigates against drawing premature conclusions based on only 1 1/2 games.

we are basically saying the same thing, he needs to find out kolb is the future of the franchise after trading away McNabb.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 07:46:05 AM »
we are basically saying the same thing, he needs to find out kolb is the future of the franchise after trading away McNabb.

If y'all saying the same thing then y'all speaking a different language lol.

Anyways, I hope Vick continues to improve, but I am going to "put the annointing oil away" until I see him perform at a high level against a team other than the struggling (albeit improved) Lions. Green Bay get's a pass as they probably schemed for Kolb and were taken by surprise by an extended appearance by a rejuvenated Mike Vick.

Saints not looking as scary so far this year...

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 01:00:05 PM »
didn't see anything on here about this story.  very sobering.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said in a tearful news conference Tuesday that nobody in the organization saw any hint that wide receiver Kenny McKinley was suicidal before he took his life.

The Arapahoe County sheriff said the second-year pro died of an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound at his home near the Broncos' headquarters on Monday afternoon.

The team gathered Tuesday morning and met with grief counselors. Linebacker Wesley Woodyard said McKinley was his usual joking and jovial self in the weeks leading up to his death.

McDaniels said the team plans to observe a moment of silence Sunday before its game against the Indianapolis Colts and players will wear decals on their helmets to remember McKinley.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

Original location

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 06:13:40 PM »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 10:07:35 PM »
didn't see anything on here about this story.  very sobering.

Kinda hard for me to really talk about it yes... too many mixed emotions.  Part of me inured to it and just accepting it, part of me upset and disappointed at the yute, part of me frustrated at the needless loss of yet another young black life.  And part of me just... sad.  I think after Chris Henry's death (and subsequent revelation that he was suffering from TBI) part of me just get kinda numb to be honest.

-----------------------------------------------

As for the Vick situation... extremely surprised by the move, and a little bit disappointed to be honest.  I'm in Vick's corner but I have the misfortune of finding myself for the time being in the Philly area.  These fans are without comparison the most obnoxious I've ever encountered.  I lived behind enemy territory in DC for 16 yrs and they make Redskins fans seem like Quakers by comparison.  Nothing personal against Kolb, but I think he's overrated and many Eagles fans wanted the team to trade McNabb and for him to start.  They got one out of the two.  In addition, the level of hate directed at Vick and the team management last year was ridiculous.  I wanted these asshole fans to have their wish, have Kolb fail, and have them eat crow (again, after booing the drafting of McNabb) and beg for Vick to fill in.

This move letting them off easy... and kinda setting up Vick to fail b/c now he have Kolb looking over his shoulder.  Had Kolb flamed out he wouldn't have to worry about that one.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 05:44:03 AM »
now reading that the Giants beat the Bears in the late game last night.  I stopped watching when the score was 3-0.  couldn't bring myself to watch the whole thing.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 02:42:05 PM »
I cyah blame yuh.  As a Giants fan doh I was lapping it up.  Giants knock both Cutler (concussion) and he backup Todd Collins (some kinda back problem) out the game.  They finish up with 10 sacks before the Bears O-line figure out they was supposed tuh be blocking.  We still have a long way to go, but many of the problems we having right now are fixable problems... although it's fun watching the tabloids and some of the national media talk about the season being over and chaos reigning in the locker room.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2010, 03:06:42 PM »
As a Giants fan I does stay quiet. 9 sacks in one half alone. It was good to see, brought back memories of when I first started to become aware of American football (I eh go say how long ago that was  :P ).

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2010, 07:23:32 AM »
I like Green Bay.  I'm not a true fan of any team but Charles Woodson is one of my favourite players and I really started to dislike the Favre circus toward the end of his tenure in Green Bay.  Once he left all the pieces were in place for me to be a Packer "fan".  I think they could go far.  Aaron Rodgers is the real deal.

The other player I'd really like to see get a ring is Randy Moss.  Except for the fact that he plays for a Boston team.

it looks like Randy is heading back to the Vikes. 

My least favourite QB throwing to my favourite WR.  I have to figure out how I feel about this.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2010, 07:27:05 AM »
... memories of when I first started to become aware of American football (I eh go say how long ago that was  :P ).

yuh making it sound like yuh supporting since Y.A. Tittle was the QB.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2010, 02:44:54 PM »

it looks like Randy is heading back to the Vikes. 

My least favourite QB throwing to my favourite WR.  I have to figure out how I feel about this.

Yea man as a Packer fan myself, ah vex. I like Randy but have a strong dislike for the Vikings, only cause is we rival. As for Farve, pure hate these days so Moss do de worse thing by 1) going back to the Vikings and 2) playing with Farve ::)

1]; } ?>