March 28, 2024, 04:53:48 PM

Author Topic: Woman bonded for burning child’s hands  (Read 2159 times)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Woman bonded for burning child’s hands
« on: September 10, 2010, 09:04:41 AM »
Woman bonded for burning child’s hands

Charge the animal and burn her both hands  let her feel what the child felt, oh lord they wicked

A Marabella woman who, in a rage, burnt the hands of her 14-year-old autistic relative was placed on $15,000 bond for three years yesterday. In 2008, Roxanne Williams, 28, burnt her relatives’ hands because she drank a bottle of soft drink. San Fernando magistrate Alexander Prince, however, in passing sentence, knocked the State’s Social Services Department for failing to intervene to assist the autistic child when the children’s mother died.

Prince said the social services should have intervened when the mother died, lamenting that some institutions who care for autistic children refused to take the child into their care. “I hope this does not happen again...the social services need to be more vigilant when responding to these cases,” he said. “We must show great care. This is a child who was lost to the world, who did not understand anything.” Williams, a swimming instructor and mother of one, was bonded after Prince found her guilty of bodily harm. The magistrate said while he cannot condone what Williams has done, he did not believe that justice would be served if a custodial sentence was imposed.

Williams was arrested and charged by WPC Harrynarinesingh. Prince, however, said: “There is no licence on anyone to ill-treat any child whatever the circumstances.” Defence attorney Sharmilla Rampaul said the task of caring for the relative brought “frustration” on Williams.
It was reported that in September 12, 2008, Williams was seen beating her relative after she drank the soft drink. She then lit the stove and put child’s “whole hands” over the stove and burnt her.

The child received superficial burns to both hands. Williams, in her defence, testified that she was boiling water and had moved the pot to the back burner when the child came into the kitchen. She said she tried to put the child out, but they began fighting and when she slapped one of the girl’s hand away, it was burnt on the stove.
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Woman bonded for burning child’s hands
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 10:31:35 AM »
I agree no excuses for burning the child, absolutely none.  But as the parent of an autistic son, I cannot see how that young girl could handle the responsibility or raising that child.  I can only assume the difficulties Ms. Williams had in dealing with that child.  Not only do austistic kids need someone with a caring personality, but those kids need so much different types of therapy that may not be available to them.  I hope that things work out for both the child and the sister (parent).  Sad sad story all around....
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 11:19:20 AM »
Not only do austistic kids need someone with a caring personality, but those kids need so much different types of therapy that may not be available to them.  I hope that things work out for both the child and the sister (parent).  Sad sad story all around....

Agreed, I worked at a camp for autistic children for two summers so I can somewhat empathize with her frustration level...I can barely imagine the stress levels caused by full time care

To burn a lil chile hands you really have to be at the end of your rope and need help
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 12:04:51 PM »
I was ready to give she de benefit of some sympathy... but hearing the allegations about lighting the stove and holding de child hands over it... nah.  She was getting at least 7 days from me.  All that said I totally empathize with her on account of the challenge she has on her hands, but everybody have frustrating situations to deal with in life... the difference is in how we choose to respond to them.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 01:03:39 PM »
I have no real clue what kind of person I would be if I was the mother of a special needs child. I can only hope I would rise to the demands and circumstances.
A child takes a lot out of you, even more so when you are fully engaged and taking your responsibility seriously. There are times when you are at your limit of patience, you've had no sleep, the child is working your one last nerve, everything that could go wrong, went wrong. But no where in all those times has it ever occured to me to harm my children. I recall one time I lost it completely and spanked my son way beyond the normal smack. I saw red for a few seconds but to harm him? Burn her?
I've heard of people breaking limbs, using electrical wires to beat the child and other punishments that I cannot bring myself to list.

I don't know this woman's state of mind or what pushed her to that dark place but dayum...I'm sorry for them both.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 02:39:36 PM »
I was ready to give she de benefit of some sympathy... but hearing the allegations about lighting the stove and holding de child hands over it... nah.  She was getting at least 7 days from me.  All that said I totally empathize with her on account of the challenge she has on her hands, but everybody have frustrating situations to deal with in life... the difference is in how we choose to respond to them.
I agree Bakes but at that point she probably wasn't thinking rationally....I am not excusing that behaviour, but what purpose does giving her jail time serve?  Who is going to take care of the child anyway?  Again, this lady should have been given a sentence on attending mandatory parenting skills along with counseling in dealing with difficult children rather than jail time. 
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 02:52:57 PM »
I agree Bakes but at that point she probably wasn't thinking rationally....I am not excusing that behaviour, but what purpose does giving her jail time serve?  Who is going to take care of the child anyway?  Again, this lady should have been given a sentence on attending mandatory parenting skills along with counseling in dealing with difficult children rather than jail time. 

The basic definition of manslaughter is a homicide committed in the 'heat of passion'.  I totally understand acting irrationally, we've all done it... and there's precedent from my manslaughter example, to allow "irrationality" as a mitigating factor.  In other words, 'yes yuh loss it fuh ah second and did something horrible that might even be out of character."  In this case the answer is to give a lesser sentence, not to withold penalty.  To me 'bonded over' is no penalty.  Essentially what she get is probation (and ah not even sure it will be on her record)... she have to behave sheself for the next three years or find $15,000 to pay the court.

To me jail time serves two purposes: a) specific deterrence (it will teach her not to do it again); and b) general deterrence (it will teach others not to do as she did).  We done have a certain mentality at times where we "ready to make ah jail" for certain things... I'd hope that others don't take from this incident that as long as they have the money to pay, that certain crimes can be negotiated with the court.  In other words, commit the crime knowing that at most the penalty you face is being "bonded over" to behave yuhself, and that failing, pay some fine that yuh ready to pay any day.

1]; } ?>