April 25, 2024, 07:25:55 PM

Author Topic: 2010 Commonwealth Games - New Delhi  (Read 3573 times)

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
2010 Commonwealth Games - New Delhi
« on: October 04, 2010, 12:31:09 PM »
The Games have started. I know for sure the women's hockey team has already been in action losing 12-0 to South Africa. Their second match is tomorrow 1:30 pm Delhi time against Australia. The men also get started tomorrow from 9:30 am against New Zealand.

I also know that Christian Homer swimming in Heat 2 of the 50M Backstroke placed third in a time of 27.12. That was good enough to qualify him into the 1st semi-final in lane 2.

William Albert in gymnastics is also competing today, but I am not sure how he's doing.

Jamaica beat us in their netball opener 75-36. T&T's next match is against Samoa on Wednesday from 3:00 pm Delhi time. That's about all I know so far for our Commonwealth games participants.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
Re: 2010 Commonwealth Games - New Delhi
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 02:06:51 PM »
I now looking for results and realised that I omitted 2 other backstroke swimmers who were in the second semi-final. Joshua Mc Leod (qualified from the same heat as Homer) and Carlyle Blondell placed 7th and 8th swimming from lanes 1 and 8 respectively. Plus our 4x100M relay team placed 3rd in their heat in 3:31.56 which was not good enough to qualify for the final eventually won by Australia in a Games Record 3:13.92.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 05:13:49 PM »
I thought the hockey results were a mis-print. I thought is was 2-1 SA. But 12.??????????????

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 05:15:17 PM »
We lost in netball too.  Jamaica 75-36 Trinidad & Tobago

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 08:49:30 PM »
New Delhi is 9 hours ahead of us. The gymnast placed as low as 37th to as high as 23rd in the individual competition. Not spectacular, but I'm pleased that we have representation.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 07:11:54 AM »
Any feedback on the conditions of the Athletes' village?

Been hearing horror stories but you never know how much is exaggeration or selective reporting.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 03:23:30 PM »
Hockey

Men Group B - Day 2:
New Zealand 7-1 Trinidad & Tobago

Women Group A - Day 2:
Australia 11-0 Trinidad & Tobago

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 03:26:10 PM »
One facebook status from a hockey player was very complementary of the Village. Not sure if he was being sarcastic, but no obvious complaints from anyone.

Rhodney Allen and Roger Daniel earned T&T's first medal, winning bronze in the Pairs 50M Pistol Finals with a score of 1081. Singapore won gold with 1094, India silver with 1087 and Australia 4th with 1080.

Emile Abraham competed today in the 40KM Points Race, but did not finish. Three swimmers competed in the 50M butterfly and all got into the semi-final. Joshua Mc Leod finished in 24.88, but that's the 10th fastest time from the semis so he's out of the final.

Hockey men lost to New Zealand 7-1 and the women lost to Australia 11-0. Swimming, hockey, boxing, netball are all on again tomorrow. There are probably others that I've missed in that too.

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 09:00:21 AM »

Rhodney Allen and Roger Daniel earned T&T's first medal, winning bronze in the Pairs 50M Pistol Finals with a score of 1081.

Congrats  :beermug:
whey boy!

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 12:39:06 PM »
India's helping hand for Trinidad and Tobago hockey
sify.com

New Delhi, Oct 7 (IANS) Trinidad and Tobago women's hockey team scored their first goal in three matches at the Commonwealth Games here Thursday. With that they made a statement for hockey in their country that loves football, cricket and athletics and has only one synthetic turf.

And 14 of the team's 16 players crossed the Atlantic for the first time in their lives to play in the Delhi Games, thanks to the $100,000 and air tickets given by the Indian authorities.

'We didn't go to the World Cup qualifier in Chile this year because we didn't have money, but we came to Delhi because of the $100,000 and air tickets we received from the Indian authorities,' said the 38-year old team coach Anthony Marcano.

Marcano who represented his country at the 1998 Commonwealth Games where hockey was introduced.

The Indian funding also helped Trinidad and Tobago to compete in the Caribbean Games where they won the gold medal in July and it served as good preparations for the Delhi trip.

'Fourteen of the 16 players crossed the Atlantic for the first time in their lives and we have just two (Nicole Aming and Stacey-Ann Siu-Butt) who took part in the 1998 Commonwealth Games in Malaysia. So, for the majority of the girls, it is a huge thing to be here in India,' said Marcano.

He said 'Funding is a problem and as for facilities, hockey is played on grass or indoors on tiled floors. It is one of the highlighted sports in the government list, but the funding is insufficient for us to travel for international competitions.'

The country has just one synthetic turf in Tacarigua, 45 minutes drive from the capital city of Port of Spain, and virtually every tournament in the country is played on this pitch.

'Most of the players are from Port of Spain, so they travel to Tacarigua during the weekends. It is the same for others too as all our tournaments are played in Tacarigua,' said Marcano, a former National level table tennis-player-turned hockey player and coach.

On participating in the Delhi Games he said 'The positives from this competition are that the girls have come to realise what it takes to compete at this level, in terms of discipline, attitude and skills. Hopefully, we will improve with more exposure,' said Marcano who took over the team barely a month prior to the Delhi Games.

What's next on the agenda for his team?

'The girls are excited about visiting the Taj Mahal next week. We planned this when we decided to come to India and I can hardly wait,' the coach said.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 12:16:11 PM »
Blair Wynn and Stacey Sui Butt scored today to help T&T hockey women to a 2-1 win over Malaysia and a 9th place finish in the hockey competition. The hockey men play tomorrow against Scotland also in a 9th-10th playoff. Our netballers lost 60-59 to Barbados to finish 8th in the tournament. Jamaica play New Zealand in one of the semi-finals tomorrow.

Our current medal tally is 4, 2 silver and 2 bronze.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 12:29:08 PM »
Blair Wynn and Stacey Sui Butt scored today to help T&T hockey women to a 2-1 win over Malaysia and a 9th place finish in the hockey competition. The hockey men play tomorrow against Scotland also in a 9th-10th playoff. Our netballers lost 60-59 to Barbados to finish 8th in the tournament. Jamaica play New Zealand in one of the semi-finals tomorrow.

Our current medal tally is 4, 2 silver and 2 bronze.

Don't we have a super heavyweight that qualified for a boxing final too?

De 4x100 mens relay team pips down deyself.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

AirMan

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 09:44:33 PM »
So anyone will say this tournament will be a failure for us if we cannot win a gold medal in any event ?

Anyway here is the medal standings..http://results.cwgdelhi2010.org/en/Root.mvc/Medals

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 09:29:29 AM »
5 medals in all now that Roger Daniel won a silver in the 25M Standard Singles. 3 silver and 2 bronze. Hockey men lost 7-0 to Scotland in the 9th-10th playoff. Tariq Abdul Haqq is the super heavy weight boxer and he fights Paramjeet Samota of India in the final. That result isn't up as yet.

I don't think our success in the Commonwealth Games is based on whether or not we can win a gold medal. What are we basing that on? What legacy of gold medal performances can we look back on to expect a gold medal in Delhi? We won 3 bronze four years ago in Melbourne and 1 silver in Manchester back in 2002. Our hockey women and netballers didn't qualify to participate, our boxers weren't competitive nor were our T&F women.

1998 - 1 G, 1 S, 1 B (Ato won gold in the 100M); 1994 - 2 B, 1990 - 0; 1986 - no participation; 1982 - 0; 1978 - 2 S, 2 B; 1974 - 1 S, 1 B; 1970 - 4 S, 3 B; 1966 - 5 G, 2 S, 2 B; 1962 - 2 B; 1958 1 B; 1954 - 2 G, 2 S; 1950 - no participation; 1938 - 0; 1934 - 0. 1934 was our first time in the Games.

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 10:04:14 AM »
Tariq Abdul Haqq is the super heavy weight boxer and he fights Paramjeet Samota of India in the final. That result isn't up as yet.

Add another Silver to T&T....
Even though it's "only the Commonwealth"...for these athletes it's a big stage...would have liked to see at least 1 gold.

6 medals total ain't too shabby....
 :beermug:
whey boy!

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 06:56:55 AM »
Tariq Abdul Haqq is the super heavy weight boxer and he fights Paramjeet Samota of India in the final. That result isn't up as yet.

Add another Silver to T&T....
Even though it's "only the Commonwealth"...for these athletes it's a big stage...would have liked to see at least 1 gold.

6 medals total ain't too shabby....
 :beermug:

they rob Haqq, hometown advantage at its finest....hopefully haqq can become a serious contender in the professional ranks since manswell seems to have disappeared.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 05:54:57 PM »
they rob Haqq, hometown advantage at its finest....hopefully haqq can become a serious contender in the professional ranks since manswell seems to have disappeared.

Did you see the fight? I was wondering myself... the scorecard are decidedly one-sided for the Indian.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 04:33:26 PM »

Did you see the fight? I was wondering myself... the scorecard are decidedly one-sided for the Indian.

yeah i saw the fight, the indian guy score a few points on some low blows...haqq landed some clean hard puches that didnt score.

1]; } ?>