April 19, 2024, 04:28:08 PM

Author Topic: ‘Dog’ treatment for ex-TnT footballers.  (Read 8557 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
‘Dog’ treatment for ex-TnT footballers.
« on: October 18, 2005, 08:19:08 PM »
By David Maynard (T&T Mirror).

Footballers who are dropped from the national team are later ignored and left to pay to see the same match they were training for a few days ago!
And a worse fate awaits the current crop who, on Wednesday night, brought TnT within one step of qualifying for the World Cup finals in Germany.
So said Clayton Morris who, 16 years after bringing TnT within one point of going to the World Cup finals in Italy, was shouted down at the gate on his way into the match venue for the crucial game, which TnT eventually won 2-1.
The famous Strike Squad captain, who was not officially invited to the do-or-die encounter against Mexico at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, had been attempting to hand to the gateman all at once, the tickets he had purchased for members of his family.
The attendant bawled at him to “give everybody dey ticket”!
Morris told TnT Mirror: “These are the type of things you have to go through.”
“Players who served the country shouldn’t be humiliated like this,” he added, raising an issue that seems to have been stuck in the craw of former players for some time now.
“You would have local players training with the national team and when the coach breaks down the team, those players have to leave and fight to get tickets to come and see the same team they were once a part of,” said Morris.
“When I look back at players like Angus (Eve) who contributed to the drive in the earlier stage (of this campaign) … I’m sure they weren’t invited.
“The present players would soon be former players and how would they be treated?”
Morris served on the national team for almost two decades, and is now a coach, like many former players.
He has noted, by comparison, persons merely known to be “hanging around CONCACAF”, who were allowed parking at the match venue and were able to brag about hobnobbing with society’s Who’s Who, in the VIP area.
“I am not saying this is what I want for myself,” said Morris, “but that these things should be available to people who served and are still serving.
“We are all coaching now; we want to show the fellows ‘this is what we achieved’, ‘this is the respect you get for the work you put in, serving your national team’.
“Other than the financial or the tangible gains like medals and trophies, ‘you’re being honoured for life’.
“These are incentives that they could work to achieve.”
Morris continued: “It really makes you wonder -- when those other people show their VIP passes and you look at what contribution they made and what you made and are still making -- why they put you in a lower category.”
Another former top national player Leonson Lewis, who is now a club coach in San Fernando, supports Morris’ view.
Lewis recommended that in the absence of other benefits like a fund to aid ex-nationals in time of need, a 20 to 30-year pass for players to see matches, “once you have served”.
But, he insisted: “It is not all about getting in free.”
Lewis explained: “It’s about the country respecting you as a person for what you did and giving you this in return.
“They promise you this and that medal, yet nothing is ever delivered, but they should do this to show appreciation.”
He said players looking on the horizon now may be only seeing former manager of the national team Richard Abraham suffering with cancer and battling it on his own.
“We’re not even allowed to help him so he could say he’s getting something back because there is no fund to contribute to; I think that is unfair,” added Lewis.
Like Morris, Lewis also pays to see TnT matches.
“They offer the players now and then, if you ask Mr. (Jack) Warner for a ticket, otherwise …,” Lewis revealed.
“We don’t get anything.
“They used us while we played, like they are using the players now, and after you finish play they have no use for you.
“You’re forgotten.
“Year after year, people play for the national team and end up having to pay, storm or beg to get into a game,” added Lewis.
“This shouldn’t be.”
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 08:59:16 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
Re: ‘Dog’ treatment for ex-TnT footballers
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 08:27:40 PM »
i almost cry when i read this one. but on a more serious note this could be in consideration when we develop our supporters club because it seams like as soon as we discuss a topic on this board somthing happends on the mainstream level so we need to really start this thing so the people who deserve respect is given it. i cant imagine these guys have to pay while i who never play does get free tickets.

not fair >:(
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 08:32:56 PM »
so i wonder if Dwarika did get free tickets too and backstage passes lol

but anyway them fellas who serve the country..especially them Strike Squad boys should be gettign better treatment..even though it was 16 years ago.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Solo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 08:36:51 PM »
'Storm' to get in?

Ting tuh mek a big man cry yeah!

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 09:44:48 PM »
If you all know the history of T&T Football,these things should not surprise anybody,all ppl pay attention to is the glorious parts of our Football but there are players and administrators who have sacrificed for T&T Football to be where it is today,we keep talking about the Strike Squad and these present day players,what about the squad that went to the Pan Am games in Canada,Haiti,U19 WC etc are they given tickets to go to games,i've always said our ppl don't know how to appreciate and treat our heros.I myself got out of T&T because of the treatment handed to me by the Football association,i did not let it keep me back i turn that negative into something positive,when i was home if i got a ticket i accepted but i always paid (even as a national team Coach) There are players who have served this country and are banned for life,it looks like Nakhid going to join them if he keeps it up.
   I may be wrong here but i'm of the impression that some players feel once they represent the country the country should take care of them,the same way the country used you,you had an opportunity to use the country,look at how many players have contracts overseas,scholarships to colleges etc Football employ a lot of ppl in the country.     

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 11:30:36 PM »
There are players who have served this country and are banned for life,it looks like Nakhid going to join them if he keeps it up.

Well he already ban from every cloth store, Francis Fashion and Shoe Locker in the country. So why not football as well. And he have foot in mouth disease.

Ms que un club.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 12:20:31 AM »
good point  leonson, adn clayton and coops...I know trini like to jump on the band waggon and criticie whenever somebody bring up a point, but I really woulda swear the srike squad at least were honorary guests at the game.  lewwe hope the Bahrain game they go fix teh situation....leave manning and dem outside..dem ent do nuttin for we football. ;D

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 06:39:43 AM »
Dem men from the strike squad should at least be given special attention for their contribution . They helped to unify a country .
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 06:58:53 AM »
Simple respect! Football belongs to players and fans. this is my beef with Blatter and FIFA et all. they always talking shit about players this and that. But they have jobs because of the same players they are critical of.

As for T&T Football they have absolutly no respect for players. This going on for years, stadium pack in the earlies and not even some money for passsage to and from games. None for yuh to come training, not even a meal. Match done is ah buns and a sweet drink in the dressing room. No Lie.
All those players deserve more.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 07:01:58 AM »
In the end the players have to take some blame for this.
Along with the administrators.

Football is a game without players there will be no game.

Players both past and present need to determine the importance the game has for the players.

We have tried players unions etc but things always fizzle.

Why because at the end of the day no one cares enough to fix it.

Back in 1998 when we did not make the hex was men asking for free ticket? when the stadium was empty
Is only because it is a big game it is an issue.

What about carribean cup game why men not protesting those games to get tickets.

Fact is nobody does care about TnT football on ordinary games

The Govt dont care
Past Players does be busy
Foreign based cannot get released from club
regular fan does not show up
Stadium does be empty

For big big game now
when stadium sell out
Now is talk about whey my free ticket.

For every 1 administrator there is probably 10 players involved in football
They are the ones to change it
We are the ones to change it

It will be what we make it.

maybe we should hire a foreign ticket man To hand out free ticket That might solve the issue ;D
Cause like we cah do nothing for we self

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 07:30:49 AM »
sad thing no way a former player should pay to see these games.  Especially when it have real men never kick a lime and getting free ticket-madness. 
Man buff JB he ain't recognize. 
Need a players assoc. in TT.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 08:09:25 AM »
so i wonder if Dwarika did get free tickets too and backstage passes lol

but anyway them fellas who serve the country..especially them Strike Squad boys should be gettign better treatment..even though it was 16 years ago.
This is not de first time mi hear sey someone talk bout Dwarika innah de VIP area..  Dwarika never neglected de team..He Jes  didnt mek de cut..  Wid BSC he didnt mek de cut too because of his Hair.. Dwarika is a gifted player and I wish to see him back innah de squad representing T&T and letting yutes of east Indian decent believe dat dey could play football and represent There country without having to think dat race will become a factor... Get off de man nuts an go look a oman...
warmonga...
Black Lives Matter..

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005, 08:11:26 AM »
This players Association thin had gotten some players in trouble sometime ago not so ?.. They need one yes, but is the victimisation after they hadda deal wid
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005, 08:21:49 AM »
Some may say is only because of the position we in that these things coming up but is years this going on,in T&T no one pays attention to any thing unless it reaches crisis proportion.
 The difference now is that ppl can talk openly about the ills in Football so we hear a lot about these things,in the past you open your mouth you were either banned or victamized,i want to recall a recent game when Sammy Llewelyn protested at our Stadium he alone with a placard,i want to tell this is one of the things he have been fighting for for years that's why he is not popular with the administration.

Offline Socaman

• Live Yuh Life Like Yuh Playin Mas!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2005, 08:43:24 AM »
DAM... Dey rough de man up by de gate!!!! That's not right at all, that's like Yoke having to pay to see a game in 2010 qualifyings...De man participated in bringing the country 1 pont away from de world cup.... he should have been able to see the game without paying.....

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2005, 08:57:31 AM »
Shame on the establishment! My suggestion is, if you have had over 10 caps for TNT you should have free access to games played by the National senior team
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 09:39:18 AM by grskywalker »

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
Re: ‘Dog’ treatment for ex-TnT footballers.
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2005, 07:44:59 PM »
Its disturbing to see that i had to be made public that our past players had to vend outside a national stadium to see a country a team a nation that they literally give their heart and soul for to see a football games that is rediculus. Member they were the ones who make us reall know that we had a chance to make it as a soccer nation and they should be rewarded for doing so. we need this to end an someone has to step in and hlp out and not by saying something but doing something. :( >:(
All American

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2005, 07:55:07 PM »
Its disturbing to see that i had to be made public that our past players had to vend outside a national stadium to see a country a team a nation that they literally give their heart and soul for to see a football games that is rediculus. Member they were the ones who make us reall know that we had a chance to make it as a soccer nation and they should be rewarded for doing so. we need this to end an someone has to step in and hlp out and not by saying something but doing something. :( >:(

Correck is right.  But simply saying something needs to be done is unfortunately not going to change anything.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2005, 08:02:08 PM »

I read something that sound like they had a players committee to discuss payment terms for the current players on the squad.

If they could build on that and revitalize the players association they might have a chance.

If they not organized nothing will change.  Same for the supporters club.
Yuh hadda do for yourself.

Offline BigToe

• Hero Warrior
  • Laaaaard, ah cyan take it no more
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2005, 08:32:43 PM »
By David Maynard (T&T Mirror).

Fellas, it's de Mirror which is worse than de National Enquirer...I stopped reading after seeing T&T Mirror in de title....

Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.....

1]; } ?>