12 (15.8%)
Anil Roberts
59 (77.6%)
Roger Boynes
5 (6.6%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: De Minister of Sport doing everything but Sports !!!!  (Read 90517 times)

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: De Minister of Sport doing everything but Sports !!!!
« Reply #360 on: August 08, 2014, 10:59:23 AM »
The DPP needs to apply to the Court for an injunction to freeze the funds in Daniell's account until this matter is settled.

But I thought that legally, Ebeam were entitled to be paid? While we all would think it morally wrong, it would appear that the contract was adhered to by Ebeam and the fact that they were willing to do the work but were unable due to poor organisation seems to be their defence which apparently upheld by LifeSport lawyers. Could an injunction be issued in that scenario?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 08, 2014, 11:54:34 AM »
The DPP needs to apply to the Court for an injunction to freeze the funds in Daniell's account until this matter is settled.

But I thought that legally, Ebeam were entitled to be paid? While we all would think it morally wrong, it would appear that the contract was adhered to by Ebeam and the fact that they were willing to do the work but were unable due to poor organisation seems to be their defence which apparently upheld by LifeSport lawyers. Could an injunction be issued in that scenario?

Ebeam is "entitled to be paid" why... because the Ebeam founder said so?  There are many reasons why a contract would not be enforceable or why performance would be excused.  "Default", as suggested by the non-lawyer/bonus-baby Mr. Daniell, is just one of those reasons.  There needs to be a proper inquiry into the formation of the contract in the first place, were proper procurement procedures adhered to and whether those who signed off had the proper authority to do so, for instance.  Even from casually observing at a distance I picked up on one nugget that suggested that neither of the $17m payments should have been made without Parliamentary authority.  Just because something is published in the press, or repeated ad nauseaum doesn't necessarily gives it legs or makes it gospel.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 08, 2014, 11:56:25 AM »
And what if the funds are no longer in his account (i.e. they've been placed in different investment vehicles like stocks or mutual funds, or used to purchase physical assets like buildings or land)? Is that option still possible?

Absolutely.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 08, 2014, 12:08:55 PM »
These are the people that they put into administration in Trinidad.  Anyone surprised of the direction that country is headed?  Book sense and a lack of pragmatism and lack of controls is the norm down there.

Everywhere you look it's friends appointing friends and family. To be fair, I don't blame the board members, I blame the people who appointed them. Then again, I'm not sure who could be appointed to the board who has the necessary qualifications as well as political neutrality. We need to rethink the appointment to boards of public companies.

I guess every country has ambassadors and board chairmen who are selected because they assisted the ruling party in some way, but the actual board should be appointed on merit.

Problem is the cleaning house that occurs on the changing of regimes.  I could understand bringing in some key strategic heads, but the purging is unnecessary, and really wreaks of nepotism and cronyism.  It leads to a lack of continuity of initiatives and wastage, as projects are abandoned while in process.  That country just luck it has a little oil.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 08, 2014, 01:13:34 PM »
These are the people that they put into administration in Trinidad.  Anyone surprised of the direction that country is headed?  Book sense and a lack of pragmatism and lack of controls is the norm down there.

Everywhere you look it's friends appointing friends and family. To be fair, I don't blame the board members, I blame the people who appointed them. Then again, I'm not sure who could be appointed to the board who has the necessary qualifications as well as political neutrality. We need to rethink the appointment to boards of public companies.

I guess every country has ambassadors and board chairmen who are selected because they assisted the ruling party in some way, but the actual board should be appointed on merit.

Problem is the cleaning house that occurs on the changing of regimes.  I could understand bringing in some key strategic heads, but the purging is unnecessary, and really wreaks of nepotism and cronyism.  It leads to a lack of continuity of initiatives and wastage, as projects are abandoned while in process.  That country just luck it has a little oil.

That's because the authorities in T&T are not willing to get things done in a bi partisan manner. Instead there is a desire to say "we are the ones who is responsible for this piece of success." "We the PNM, we the UNC do that for Sports in T&T" is the rhetoric. Therefore it's expected they will clean house once coming into power because they want all praise to any success. This has been nature of how things get done or don't get done for a long time in this country
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 01:36:12 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 08, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »
Typical fledgling democracy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 08, 2014, 01:29:50 PM »

Ebeam is "entitled to be paid" why... because the Ebeam founder said so?  There are many reasons why a contract would not be enforceable or why performance would be excused.  "Default", as suggested by the non-lawyer/bonus-baby Mr. Daniell, is just one of those reasons.  There needs to be a proper inquiry into the formation of the contract in the first place, were proper procurement procedures adhered to and whether those who signed off had the proper authority to do so, for instance.  Even from casually observing at a distance I picked up on one nugget that suggested that neither of the $17m payments should have been made without Parliamentary authority.  Just because something is published in the press, or repeated ad nauseaum doesn't necessarily gives it legs or makes it gospel.

I don't know about the press etc, but my question concerns these statements:

Roberts produced a letter from JD Sellier and Company, dated February 17, 2014, written by attorney Anja Dass, which stated that SporTT was obligated under the contract to issue the remaining $17 million to EBeam.

The letter was copied to JD Sellier’s attorney Dennis Gurley and SporTT’s head legal, attorney Lisa Solom

As you would know from past conversations, I cannot understand how this company could keep not only the first tranche, but then, apparently after taking legal advice, a second tranche. I mean, the point of obtaining expert legal advice is to ascertain your options and, again, it appears that the only option was to pay the money.

My non legal mind could drive holes through that contract, but I cannot assume because things are wrong, they are not legal. That's where your expertise lies. God knows, we need to recover the money, but from the information in the published statements, how likely is that?

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 08, 2014, 01:33:46 PM »

I agree on some levels. Certainly, the civil service should remain intact. However, a new government means a new Minister and they may not feel that their staff is up to the job. Just like a new coach wants to bring his own assistant, trainer, kit man etc, a new minister may want key people around him.
But appointments to boards should be merit based as much as possible.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 08, 2014, 01:34:45 PM »

That's because the authorities in T&T are not willing to get things done in a bi partisan manner. instead there is a desire to say "we are the ones who is responsible for this piece of success. We the PNM, we the UNC do that for Sports in T&T is the rhetoric. Therefore it's expected they will clean house once coming into power because they want all praise to any success. This has been nature of how things get done or don't get done for a long time.

Very true. And worse, they will undo anything good that the previous administration put in place.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 08, 2014, 01:36:31 PM »

Roberts produced a letter from JD Sellier and Company, dated February 17, 2014, written by attorney Anja Dass, which stated that SporTT was obligated under the contract to issue the remaining $17 million to EBeam.

The letter was copied to JD Sellier’s attorney Dennis Gurley and SporTT’s head legal, attorney Lisa Solom

As you would know from past conversations, I cannot understand how this company could keep not only the first tranche, but then, apparently after taking legal advice, a second tranche. I mean, the point of obtaining expert legal advice is to ascertain your options and, again, it appears that the only option was to pay the money.

My non legal mind could drive holes through that contract, but I cannot assume because things are wrong, they are not legal. That's where your expertise lies. God knows, we need to recover the money, but from the information in the published statements, how likely is that?

If all attorneys were always right we'd put courts out of business.  The point of the matter is that we don't know for fact that he was entitled to the payment, or that he is now entitled to keep the payment.  Every bit of advice given to a client is a legal opinion.  Opinions often conflict.  The conflict needs to be resolved by a court, hence the bolded:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 08, 2014, 01:39:55 PM »
I agree on some levels. Certainly, the civil service should remain intact. However, a new government means a new Minister and they may not feel that their staff is up to the job. Just like a new coach wants to bring his own assistant, trainer, kit man etc, a new minister may want key people around him.

The "staff" you're referring to is the staff of the respective Ministry, headed by the Permanent Secretary.  The word "permanent" is there for a reason.  It's not to be interpreted in a literal sense, but it rightly suggests that the office holder cannot be removed by caprice or fiat. This is (I believe) why a public service commission is in place.  So the Minister could 'feel' whatever he wants, but the fact remains that the PS is the one holding down the ship on a day to day, year to year and administration to administration basis.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 08, 2014, 02:03:38 PM »

The "staff" you're referring to is the staff of the respective Ministry, headed by the Permanent Secretary.  The word "permanent" is there for a reason.  It's not to be interpreted in a literal sense, but it rightly suggests that the office holder cannot be removed by caprice or fiat. This is (I believe) why a public service commission is in place.  So the Minister could 'feel' whatever he wants, but the fact remains that the PS is the one holding down the ship on a day to day, year to year and administration to administration basis.

There was an excellent Radio 4 programme about the importance of the Civil Service called "In Defence of Bureaucracy" that you should both check out; http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r0g45 isn't up on iplayer anymore but it was really good. Totally turned my opinion around on the Civil Service and Bureaucracy - talking about how essential it is to democracies for roughly the reasons you two are talking about

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 08, 2014, 02:06:59 PM »
There was an excellent Radio 4 programme about the importance of the Civil Service called "In Defence of Bureaucracy" that you should both check out; http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r0g45 isn't up on iplayer anymore but it was really good. Totally turned my opinion around on the Civil Service and Bureaucracy - talking about how essential it is to democracies for roughly the reasons you two are talking about

Thanks, will check it out when I have some time.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 08, 2014, 05:32:19 PM »

I fully agree regarding the P.S., although I would imagine that a Minister can approach the PSC if he feels that the P.S. is not effective (for example, Mr Creed being apparently absent for several months). But I would imagine that a Minster may be able to review staff performance with a P.S. and convey his dissatisfaction with a particular person, if he chose. Of course, the P.S. may protect that person and keep him on board. Permanent Secretaries and their management teams are the people who often need to "manage up" to prevent Ministers from not only embarrassing themselves but also the government and nation. Which is why LifeSport, to me, is so puzzling.

Whenever I think of a permanent secretary, I also recall the classic BBC series "Yes Minister" which, though very funny, shows the work carried out by permanent secretaries.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 08, 2014, 05:33:20 PM »

If all attorneys were always right we'd put courts out of business.  The point of the matter is that we don't know for fact that he was entitled to the payment, or that he is now entitled to keep the payment.  Every bit of advice given to a client is a legal opinion.  Opinions often conflict.  The conflict needs to be resolved by a court, hence the bolded:

:beermug:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: August 08, 2014, 05:37:53 PM »

I fully agree regarding the P.S., although I would imagine that a Minister can approach the PSC if he feels that the P.S. is not effective (for example, Mr Creed being apparently absent for several months). But I would imagine that a Minster may be able to review staff performance with a P.S. and convey his dissatisfaction with a particular person, if he chose. Of course, the P.S. may protect that person and keep him on board. Permanent Secretaries and their management teams are the people who often need to "manage up" to prevent Ministers from not only embarrassing themselves but also the government and nation. Which is why LifeSport, to me, is so puzzling.

Whenever I think of a permanent secretary, I also recall the classic BBC series "Yes Minister" which, though very funny, shows the work carried out by permanent secretaries.

I forget I was talking to a Brit, lol

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #376 on: August 09, 2014, 04:05:37 AM »
Just an interesting read how worthless these politicians are, they fulling their pockets and the people who give they liver for their country paying the price.

Hopefully, we get someone really good to run the MoS, maybe a past athletics would be good.

Ato?

HOMELESS AFTER GLASGOW
By JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH (NEWSDAY)

TWO-TIME Trinidad and Tobago 110 metre hurdles Olympian Mikel Thomas, has been kicked out of his Florida apartment and forced to abruptly end his 2014 competitive season due to the unavailability of Elite Athlete Assistance Programme (EAAP) funds from the Ministry of Sport.

Ironically, Thomas received an email with the eviction notice from his landlord approximately three weeks ago, while en route to represent Trinidad and Tobago at the XX Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland. Sadly, this has been the case for Thomas since the start of 2014. Speaking to the athlete from his family’s home in New York yesterday, where he has been forced to take up temporary residence, after returning from national duty last week, Thomas revealed he has not received funds from the EAAP since May 2013. The EAAP was designed to help TT athletes prepare for major international meets by defraying costs for supplements, training, accommodation etc.

On June 7, Newsday published a story highlighting Thomas’ call for public assistance via a fund- raising website so as to attend the National Track and Field Championships in June. His plea carried the theme - “Help Keep the Dream Alive” - and was made on www.gofunddme.com. The 2013 national champion was able to muster funds and returned to TT to compete and bagged silver in his pet event. To date however, nothing has changed and the former national 110m hurdle champion is contemplating ending his professional career.

“My situation has not improved in any way and I have been forced out my apartment. I can’t make preparations for next season because of a lack of support and the amount of debt I am now in because of it,” an upset Thomas told Newsday.

“I did not have money and was unable to renew my lease. My rent was US$450 per month. I am at a point where even if I get a job now, it (the money) wouldn’t be enough. The time and commitment of being an elite athlete, makes it hard to continue. I have received no notification from the Ministry of Sport as to when funds will be available. I am in my physical prime yet because of no support from my country, I am at the point where I am considering leaving athletics,” Thomas said.

The 26-year old, who holds the national 110m record of 13.19 seconds, said he still desires to continue to train, compete and represent the red, white and black. But without financial assistance, this is near impossible, at least at an elite level. Thomas has even given up his car to cut his expenses and is using a bicycle as his main mode of transportation. He has not received elite funding since May of 2013.

Thomas said he is not the only TT athlete having problems with accessing Elite funding. He said other athletes while receiving funds, have not been given the full amount. The excuse for this, when athletes visited the Sport Ministry, was a miscalculation by someone.

Thomas last contacted the Sport Ministry in June and was told, “funds are unavailable.” No explanation was forthcoming as to why there was no funding available.

The 2009 University of Kentucky graduate, who prior to his eviction, used to be a volunteer coach at the University of Florida, continued, “I’ve run out of options. My only option now is to work and fend for myself. It’s disappointing. There’s an expectation to perform but no help in the process or development. I’ve shown how productive I can be with aid yet I can’t get an email (from Ministry of Sport) or call returned.

“I’ve followed procedures and done my part and all I ask is for the same nation I so proudly represent, to do theirs. Can you imagine how it felt to be kicked out your apartment while you’re at a tournament representing your country? It is a national duty and honor (to represent TT), yet I no longer have a place to call home. Is that right?”

At the recently concluded Commonwealth Games, Thomas placed fourth in his heat and thus did not advance to the semi-final stage of the 110m hurdles. He believes the email from his landlord stating he was evicted, had a negative impact on his mind set going into the race.

“I don’t think I was able to have the same mentality this year. It was a struggle each race and the pressure to have to run to make some money to eat...it took away from the joy of the sport and where you need to be. It became a weight and a cloud.

“Commonwealth was a bad race but we prepare to where our worst is better than the rest, or good enough to see another day. I wasn’t able to prepare that way this year,” said an unhappy Thomas.

Up to late yesterday evening, Thomas revealed that he is still trying to hold firm, despite his world crumbling down.

“I’m not asking for any big money nor am I trying to make the ministry or government look bad. But for those who can make a difference, please do. I bleed this, I pour out all I have for my country but how can you expect a man to compete with the best, if he can’t even eat or have a place to stay? We are ambassadors for our country. I’ve gone places where I met people who never even heard of Trinidad and Tobago. All I am asking is for the same people who I represent as an athlete, to support me and my efforts,” Thomas said.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #377 on: August 09, 2014, 01:27:59 PM »
Ministry of Sports to Thomas: "What you talking bout Willis"
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 09, 2014, 09:34:45 PM »
Ministry of Sports to Thomas: "What you talking bout Willis"

:rotfl: serious ting you  :rotfl:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 09, 2014, 11:15:51 PM »
Could only shake my head.  Anil Roberts was a total mess!  Yet, they wasted millions on a program that was mismanaged like no other.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #380 on: August 10, 2014, 04:50:40 AM »
Small companies earn big $$ under Life Sport
By Renuka Singh (Guardian)

Missing documents from the Central Audit Unit (CAU) details an unchecked financial feeding frenzy under the now defunct Life Sport programme. One company, less than two months old, earned almost a million dollars in a single contract, while another was invited to supply educational training and sporting equipment at over $2 million.

Since the CAU report into the controversial Life Sport programme was tabled by the Prime Minister in Parliament on July 2, it has been riddled with criticism from at least four different groups including former Sport minister Anil Roberts and his permanent secretary Ashwin Creed, Life Sport director Cornelius Price, and now the board of directors at the Sport Company of T&T.

Chief among the controversial omissions are the missing appendices from the tabled Life Sport programme which was obtained by the Sunday Guardian and shows evidence of a feeding frenzy under the defunct multi-million dollar programme.

The missing appendices show several companies earning hefty payouts mere months after being legally registered. Some of these companies show no accounting documents or evidence of experience, yet were paid over $900,000 for work under the Life Sport programme. These companies were first highlighted by Independent Liberal Party (ILP) chairman Jack Warner moments before Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar tabled the document.

According to the Ministry of Legal Affairs company registry database, one company, Allsnorth General Contractors, was officially registered on July 31, 2013, and according to the Life Sport appendices, earned $928,000 by September 27, 2013, less than two months later.

• Allsnorth General Contractors’ invoice details payments for a basic course in air conditioning and refrigeration and a basic course in electrical installation.

• Another company, Kardian Construction and Property Management supplied three invoices for cleaning work at the Carapo Community Centre, the Pinto Road Community Centre and the La Horquetta Regional Complex.

For a one-month period, from May 1-31, Kardian Construction claimed $37,900 in the first invoice and $37,580 for the other two, respectively. Scope of works included “clean and polish all stainless steel appliances such as refrigerators” at $3,900, spot clean all windows and other glass panes for $4,000 and spot clean all doors, light switches and walls at a cost of $2,200 for the month.

• Yet another company, Reno Energy Corporation presented the identical scope of works for maintenance of three different fields.

According to the appendices, Reno Energy tendered for refurbishment, upkeep and maintenance of the Fyzabad Recreation Ground, the Tabaquite Recreational Grounds and the Chrissie Trace Recreational Facilities in Enterprise. The first two fields were maintained at a cost of $199,582 each, while the Enterprise field cost $199,852 a month.

The breakdown of the scope of works shows Reno Energy charged the Life Sport programme $20,300 to remove all weeds and knott grass from the fields and an additional $30,400 for services and supplies “not limited to weed killers and fertilizers.” Reno Energy charged a further $14,250 to clean and maintain the playing surface.

According to the company registration, one director of Reno Energy also had a secondary company which was contracted to provide meals to 65 participants and charged $91,000 for meals for 20 days. This catering company, named Jolene Legere, is not listed on the Companies Registry.

• Meanwhile, Kadeem and Associates provided invoices for training at a cost of $970,000 but was also invited by Life Sport to send a quotation for the supply of uniforms, sports equipment and team kits. That quotation came in at over $2 million.

• A further 38 caterers earned over $3 million in June 2014.

Thirty-three of those caterers earned $86,450 for providing 65 breakfasts and lunches over the course of 19 days.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 10, 2014, 10:19:11 PM »
Can't verify this as it was posted on facebook, but if true, it makes interesting reading.

EBeam Interact was registered on August 9, 2007, by attorney Allison Eustace Luther Roberts, of Roberts and Company. He is the father of former sport minister Anil Roberts. The directors of the company are Daniell and Gloria Kirton.

September 4, 2012, Adolphus Daniell, a director of eBeam Interact, submitted a proposal to the Ministry of Sport to teach math and English throughout Trinidad as part of the LifeSport programme. The cost of that two-year programme was $7.5 million for the first year and $4.5 million for the second year—a total of $12 million.

On December 6, 2012, a contract was signed by Daniell, whose registered office is at LP#52 John Street, Montrose, and the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SporTT). The total on the contract was $34 million.

in November 11, 2013, that SporTT got legal advice from its head of legal, Lisa Solomon, to pay Daniell his outstanding $17 million payment. Daniell received his second payment on February 11, 2014, without once having taught a lesson at LifeSport.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 11, 2014, 02:01:27 AM »
Just an interesting read how worthless these politicians are, they fulling their pockets and the people who give they liver for their country paying the price.

Hopefully, we get someone really good to run the MoS, maybe a past athletics would be good.

Ato?

HOMELESS AFTER GLASGOW
By JONATHAN RAMNANANSINGH (NEWSDAY)

TWO-TIME Trinidad and Tobago 110 metre hurdles Olympian Mikel Thomas, has been kicked out of his Florida apartment and forced to abruptly end his 2014 competitive season due to the unavailability of Elite Athlete Assistance Programme (EAAP) funds from the Ministry of Sport.

Absolutely disgraceful!

As things stand, no one should be cussing any T&T-eligible athlete fuh choosing to represent another nation. From table tennis to athletics to football to ______________ (insert blank), the administration of sports is folly.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 02:05:52 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #383 on: October 19, 2014, 01:55:13 AM »
$20m owed for Life Sport services.
By Shaliza Hassanali (Guardian).

Months after the Life Sport programme has been shut down, caterers, coaches, co-ordinators and participants of the programme are still being owed $20 million. But National Security Minister Gary Griffith who said, “Life Sport is dead,” indicated that his ministry will not pay a cent unless his permanent secretary (PS) can verify the legitimacy of invoices and services rendered by those who were affiliated with the programme.

A document leaked to the Sunday Guardian showed that of the $20 million, caterers who provided meals to participants in January, February and July are owed $6,860,370—the largest sum. The document gave a breakdown of the programme’s cost which amounted to $11,948,436.96, while the arrears stood at $8,651,231.90. Under programme costs, the document showed a list of people who are owed up to July 2014.

They are:

• Participants’ stipends—$3,088,500
• Caterers—$3,200,000
• Co-ordinators—$1,110,000
• Coaches—$853,200
• Life skills—$500,000
• Staff at Youth Training Centre—$69,900
• Life Sport Committee—$31,875
• Life Sport operation expenses—$1,200,000
• Salaries—$690,386.96
• Staff contract obligation up to September 2014—$243,000
• Upgrade selected centres February 2014—$961,875.

The document also revealed that the “maintain and upgrade” bill for the life centres in December 2013, January and February 2014, was $2,522,256. Cleaning and janitorial services in January and February 2014 stood at $1,757,250. Kim Engineering was also listed to be paid $344,000.

Meanwhile, an additional $367,355.90 was invoiced, in advance, for special upgrade of the centres for October 2014, even though in July Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar announced the termination of the programme in the wake of damning findings of a government-ordered audit which unearthed evidence of fraud and theft, and linked individuals in criminal activity.

Griffith said he has no intention of paying state funds to anyone who does not have proper documentation. “People have been coming in large numbers with claims of certain things. Unless I can get justification that the actual product was delivered, my PS will not be cutting cheques for imaginary projects and imaginary people for things that were never delivered or at exorbitant costs.”

Griffith said Sport Minister Dr Rupert Griffith can confirm that people had been making demands with no contract in hand. He said while many of the claims might be legitimate, “money will not be handed out freely; I will go through everything with a fine tooth comb when it reaches my desk.” In the coming weeks, Griffith said he plans to meet with the Sport Minister to discuss the revamping of the programme.

“The concept of the programme was never questioned, it was the end result.” Griffith said the ministry may work in tandem with sporting teams to act as role models to participants of the new programme.

Former director threatens legal action
Meanwhile, former programme director of Life Sport, Cornelius Price has threatened to take legal action against the Ministry of Sport for failing to pay him his salary for the last three months. Price collected a monthly salary of $25,000. Price, whose contract ended in September, said he is owed $75,000 as the ministry was refusing to pay him his renumeration for the months of July, August and September.

“October is coming to an end and I am yet to be paid. I have since consulted with my attorney on this matter.” Sunday Guardian was reliably told that six workers whose contracts ended in September are also awaiting payments estimated at $300,000. On Friday, the Sport Minister refused to comment on the matter. He said matters involving Life Sport should be directed to the National Security Minister

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 05, 2014, 08:19:46 AM »
it is alleged..word is the hit was ordered by an ex-minister after said dj...well..'ate his food'

there is also word of a sex tape...

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2014-12-05/ex-lifesport-boss-alleged-murder-plot

Ex-LifeSport boss in alleged murder plot

Lawyer fears for clients’ safety
Ali, co-accused charged under Gang Act
Derek Achong
Published:
Friday, December 5, 2014

Former LifeSport co-ordinator Rajaee Ali, centre, and Brandon Borneo, right, are escorted to the Port-of-Spain Magistrates Court yesterday. Both men, along with four others, were charged with conspiracy to murder. Photo: MICHEAL BRUCE
Former LifeSport programme co-ordinator Rajaee Ali was among a group of six people, including a woman, who appeared in court yesterday charged with being part of a plot to assassinate radio announcer Kevaughn “Lerbz” Savory. The group was remanded into custody when they appeared before Nanette Forde-John in the Port-of-Spain Eighth Magistrate Court on a series of charges under the Anti-Gang Act related to a planned attack on Savory in Port-of-Spain last Thursday.

The other accused are Keshorn Dempster, Brent La Croix, Brandon Borneo, Donna Dyer and Ali’s brother, Ishmael. Ali was one of the former LifeSport officials who were probed by Ministry of Finance before the programme was shelved in July by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar.

Security at the court was increased significantly for yesterday’s hearing with burly police, dressed in riot gear and armed with automatic sub-machine guns, standing guard outside the courtroom and along St Vincent Street,  Port-of-Spain, which was blocked off when the accused arrived. Ali and his co-accused were not called upon to plead to the charges as they were laid indictably.

Although they all stood stone-faced with their hands crossed while the charges were being read, their demeanour changed as they were led out of court, with some turning around to smile and blow kisses at their relatives. While their lawyer Criston J Williams accepted that his clients would only be entitled to apply for bail in 120 days, as prescribed by the legislation, he asked that they be sent to the Maximum Security Prison (MSP), Arouca, as he said he was concerned for their safety.

“It is in the interest of the welfare of the accused that they be placed in MSP,” Williams said. Forde-John made a note of Williams’s concerns but said she did not have the authority to direct prison authorities on where to place remand prisoners. The magistrate also decided to defer Williams’s bail application for the non-gang-related charges to the next court hearing later this month.

Before the case was adjourned Williams made several requests for prosecutors to disclose evidence they had gathered in their investigation, including interviews with his clients and CCTV footage of their arrests. “It is my information that one of the police officers shot at their vehicle before they were arrested,” Williams said.

He also complained that his clients were not informed of the reason for their week-long detention before they were charged yesterday. He also asked whether their cellphone conversations had been illegally recorded by police. “I am requesting copies of judges’ warrants pursuant to the Interception of Communication Act of 2010,” Williams said.

Police prosecutor Richard Taylor told Williams his requests would be urgently addressed by investigators and also promised to tender into evidence the gun and seven rounds of ammunition allegedly found in the group’s car at the next hearing. The group, who are also being represented by attorney Darryl Worrell, will reappear in court on December 22.

The charges
 Ali, 28, whose father is the head of the Jamaat-al-Muslimeen mosque in Carapo, is charged with being a gang leader. He and the others were all charged with being members of an unnamed gang. The group was also jointly charged with conspiring to murder Savory and with assisting a gang member in the commission of a gang-related act by possessing a gun and ammunition.

All, except Rajaee Ali, were charged with being in possession of an illegal gun and ammunition with the intention to use it under the direction of a gang leader. Ishmael was charged for being in possession of a gun and ammunition and for assaulting a man, identified as Gilmore Thomas, when he, Dempster, La Croix, Borneo, Ishmael and Dyer were arrested while in a car in Woodbrook last Thursday night.

Ali, who is on bail after being charged with possession of a lappe carcass during the ongoing hunting ban, was arrested on Tuesday night.

Savory responds
In a brief interview yesterday, Savory, a radio announcer with Guardian Media Ltd’s Slam 100.5FM, said he was “shocked and disturbed” by the reports. He said he had spoken to his lawyers yesterday and had been advised not to comment further. “It’s a scary thing. That’s all I can say,” the 27-year-old announcer said. Savory has had a career in media and entertainment for over ten years and currently works in both radio and television.

Last year he hosted the finals of the International Soca Monarch competition.

About the programme
In August 2011, Cabinet agreed to implementation of the LifeSport programme by the Ministry of Sport, through the Sport Company of T&T.  It was launched in June 2012 and started in August 2012. Up to the time of the audit, the programme was being run in 43 centres throughout T&T for young men 16-25.

The audit team prepared a damning report after examining the programme’s payment process, centres, co-ordinators, coaches, participants, catering services, janitorial services, maintenance of recreation grounds, refurbishment of community centres, rentals, purchases, vocational training (trade component) and EBeam Interact Ltd.

News
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 08:55:52 AM by mukumsplau »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #385 on: December 17, 2014, 06:52:15 AM »
Ex-Life Sport official begs PM for help.
T&T Newsday Reports.

A former Supervisor at the now defunct Life Sport programme yesterday begged Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar to intervene as she claimed she and other officials have not been paid for the month of July.

The Prime Minister in a speech in Parliament on July 25 had cancelled the controversial programme following revelations in an audit of massive corruption and irregularities.

But the ex-official who declined to give her full name, said she worked at the Point Fortin centre and has several outstanding bills needed to be paid.

The woman produced a letter from a popular local furniture store in which the company indicated they will be repossessing an item for failure to pay the terms of the hire purchase.

“The Prime Minister needs to know what is going on. I don’t care how much they thief but there are innocent ones among the guilty. Why must we have to pay for them? We didn’t thief $34 million. We want we money,” she said.

The ex-Life Sport Supervisor argued that the Prime Minister has been helping others and wishes she could come to their aid as well.

“Churches getting money, baby grant getting money but where we money?” she asked incredulously.

She continued, “The Prime Minister doesn’t know what is going on. (Minister of National Security Gary Griffith just playing with it (the issue). They have to pay us before Christmas.”

Mrs Richards claimed that she received calls from the Ministry of National Security about two months ago, enquiring about the particulars of the centre including number of participants and lunches served but since then nothing has been forthcoming.

Efforts to contact the Minister of National Security yesterday proved futile.

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 17, 2014, 12:06:07 PM »
Time for sporting overhaul in T&T
Trinidad Guardian Reports by Andre Baptise

Sport in T&T needs to be overhauled. Who can and who will do it?

No one has faith in the Ministry of Sports or the Sports Company, because of their previous administrative records.

Meanwhile, as everyone awaits a saviour, this country continues to fall behind most of the Caribbean, not only in terms of success or medals, but rather in terms of integrity and care.

And it is these simple words, integrity and care that appears to be destroying sport and nobody is interested in correcting the situation.

The Olympic Committee (TTOC) is one organisation, that has maintained its independence and its status during this malaise but the problem is that many of the sporting organisations are either too ashamed or afraid to ask TTOC for assistance.

This though is wrong but in this country, false pride and deceit seem to make good bedfellows.

If one examines the current problems in sport, they can all be solved with both dialogue and constructive work ethics, which are not adhered to by most administrators.

The constant cry of working for “free” as an excuse is wrong, and should not be encouraged, in fact anyone who seeks to say this, should either be FIRED immediately or asked to RESIGN immediately.

In football, the lack of trust in the previous administration still haunts the current team and cannot easily be eroded because of the similarity of faces on the various committees, while a complete sweep is never good.

Football needs to be able to breathe again, so if the current administration cannot regain the faith of the public, they must remove themselves. As it stands, to continue is a recipe for disaster and failure, especially as prospective sponsors will look elsewhere.

In cricket, the problem is one of expertise. We do not have the correct persons in the important areas such as development and selection.

When one examines the current state of our cricket at the four-day level, it looks terrible and the results this season have done nothing to change the feeling that a new selection committee is needed. There are some that suggest the coaches and management are not on the same page, and that has brought about a lot of disharmony.

In horseracing, there is a belief that with no Betting Levy Board in place and with a weak Racing Authority, there is not much hope for improvement.

Whether or not the powers that be have grown tired of horseracing nobody knows, but there is a general feeling that horseracing has lost its way and is only surviving based on the love for the sport from many of those involved.

How long this can continue, no one knows because there is a growing belief that favouritism still obtains in some of the judgments in this sport, particularly surrounding trainers and owners.

In swimming, there has and always will be the claim of nepotism, and while many of the officials in this sport primarily are on hand because of a family interest, this one must believe should not so influence a sport that persons could lose objectively in their decision making which could adversely affect young talented swimmers.

It is sad because this is a sport, which may have the greatest potential for success in all areas, as we have some very talented young swimmers, who need encouragement and motivation.

While some have suggested that a change in leadership may be the catalyst for the rise of swimming again in the society.

In basketball, despite the Hoop of Life tournament, at a national level basketball is at its lowest point, with no apparent approval possible in the near future.

T&T has lost its edge as one of the best basketball teams in the region, despite the abundance of talent in this country.

In sambo, while this sport continues to grow, it is not being supported.

There are so many sports under pressure in this country from a lack of accountability and transparency that it is becoming normal to read or listen every day from one contentious issue to another.

Even golf and gymnastics, which in the past, seemed oblivious to complaints, have found themselves in the news for the wrong reasons.

In the past, the TTOC has attempted to enhance the administrative strength of sporting organisations by specific management training courses, whether this is still ongoing or not has to be questioned given the lack of skill of many of the sporting organisations.

There are two sporting fraternities that have their house in order, athletics under the National Association of Athletics Administrators (NAAA) and its president Ephraim Serrette and netball under the Netball Association and its president Dr Patricia Butcher.

It is no surprise that these sporting organisations are working, given the professionalism of their presidents.

Somebody needs to care about sports again in 2015, as 2014 was not a good year for sports, with too much scandals and problems claims of irregularities.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 22, 2014, 06:48:52 AM »
Serious talk fellas, ah hear Anil wife act some porn tape and ah see it.

No ole talk.

It going around all over de internet.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 22, 2014, 10:06:05 AM »
Serious talk fellas, ah hear Anil wife act some porn tape and ah see it.

No ole talk.

It going around all over de internet.

Geez, Sam I think you working for the N. Koreans!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 01:17:31 PM by Deeks »

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 22, 2014, 01:09:52 PM »
Anil says, "babes it wasn't me in de 2 puff video,"
Wife: 'babes it wasn't me in de lurbz video either :)."    ;D
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

1]; } ?>