April 19, 2024, 09:38:06 AM

Author Topic: 104 SporTT employees sent home  (Read 2325 times)

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
104 SporTT employees sent home
« on: January 09, 2011, 05:09:47 AM »
104 SporTT employees sent homeBy Renuka Singh

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/104_SporTT_employees_sent_home-113146634.html

Story Created: Jan 8, 2011 at 10:47 PM ECT

Over 100 employees of the Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago were summarily suspended on Friday as an audit of the "messy" financial documents discovered a $90 million discrepancy and a further $700 million "squandered" between the years 2004 and 2010, Sports Minister Anil Roberts confirmed yesterday.

And while several employees blamed anti-PNM sentiment for the dismissals, both Roberts and SporTT chairman Rhett Chee Ping yesterday denied all allegations of "political cleansing".

Roberts said the clean-up effort became necessary after the findings of a $90 million discrepancy and a further $700 million "squandered" between 2004 and 2010.

Roberts said while the $700 million amounted to budget allocations over a six-year period, auditors are yet to find the missing $90 million.

"We have $90 million disappeared somewhere," Roberts said in a telephone interview yesterday.

Roberts said the suspension and subsequent rehiring of several employees between this weekend and Monday were expected to plug the relentless financial haemorrhage within the organisation.

He said when he took office in June 2010, the auditors were called in to review the organisation and found that SporTT has not been audited since 2004. He said the process was now long and tiresome as auditors have to organise six years worth of paperwork.

"What was supposed to be a two to three-week job, now taking them over five months and it still going on," he said.

Despite the lack of audited financials, Roberts said the organisation still received over $100 million in annual budget allocations. Describing the organisation as a "bastion of wastage", he said the lack of audit documents made it impossible for the company to access the line of credit set up by the Government to pay contractors.

"The board is unable to draw on the funds because without updated financials the bank cannot give them access to the money. So the contractors who worked day and night to get the stadia ready cannot get paid yet," he said.

Chee Ping met with some 104 staff members at the Hasely Crawford Stadium at 2.45 p.m. on Friday and told them to go home and wait for notification on their job status.Though several workers baulked at the way the suspensions were meted out, Chee Ping defended his method.

"There really is no nice way to retrench people, but is not political. I don't play politics," Chee Ping said in a telephone interview yesterday.

He said after a meeting with the Central Audit Committee, he was informed that the organisation was "too top-heavy and bloated" and needed to be trimmed.

One employee, speaking with the Sunday Express under the condition of anonymity, said by 9.20 a.m. yesterday, he received a letter informing him of his redundancy.

"The letter states that I would be paid one month's salary in lieu of one month's notice and it said I would get my month's salary in seven days time and any outstanding money for overtime and vacation in 14 days time," he said.

"At the meeting we were told that the company was going to be restructured and with restructuring comes a loss of jobs and apparently we just have to deal with it," he said.

He said though the staff had questions, they were told that management would have to speak with "the Minister" before they could get answers.

"We asked about company issues like gratuity and overtime and they have to ask the Minister about that? Something not right with the way this was handled," he said.

"Some of us are wondering if it is a political clean-up, since senior staff are being fired but they keeping the junior staff," he said.

He said it was unfair and demoralising to be treated in such a manner. He said employees were being asked to wait through a tense weekend to learn whether they had a job or not.

Roberts did not comment on the way the situation was handled, but said while he had "absolutely nothing to do with the process", he commended the board's actions.

"I find the board take long to act. They were supposed to be doing this since June," he said.

Under the former sport minister Gary Hunt, SporTT was plagued with allegations of bad spending, including the infamous $2 million flag at the Stadium in Port of Spain, the over-budget and yet unfinished Brian Lara Stadium in Tarouba and millions spent to ready stadia for the Caribbean Games.

Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: 104 SporTT employees sent home
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 07:03:53 AM »
So what is the reason for sending home 104 workers ?

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 11:06:56 AM »

Exactly! Who was ultimately accountable??? Why as a country we are so afraid of accountability. It seems only our football coaches are accountable in T&T.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 01:36:34 PM »

2 add 2 d unemployment rate.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 04:03:01 PM »
There were reports of Spalk intimidating SPORTT employees since he was appointed minister. This is something he wanted to do for a while. I wonder is this is even legal.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 04:26:28 PM »
Even as the forensic audit into the mis-management of funds at the Sport Company of T&T (Sportt) is yet to be completed, all 107 employees have had their contracts terminated. The decision to terminate the contracts of the employees was undertaken yesterday and disclosed by recently appointed Chairman of Sportt, Rhett Chee Ping.  Speaking on condition of anonymity the source said they were informed of the decisions taken at a meeting held at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, VIP Room, Mucurapo.

“We were all told to assemble at the VIP Room at the hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo for 3pm and all 107 employees from all the venue management teams and head office staff were at the meeting which was chaired Chee Ping, a former national triathlete while security stand guard. Earlier in the day Police officers set-up camp at the Sportt Company officers at Henry Street, Port of Spain  to ensure no documents were  destroyed or removed.

“At the meeting we were informed that they (Sportt) will be restructuring the organisation. “They said they will be going the way of the Australian model because the current structure was never approved by Cabinet or the Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs.” Asked what will become of the staff members, the source said, “It is the expected that over the weekend the staff are expected to receive letters of termination from the organisation.

“I don’t know how we will be getting the letters but they said between now (yesterday) and Monday.
While all 107 employees will be out of a job the source said there was still some hope that some will be re-hired once it is determined they are qualified for the job. “We were told that if in the restructuring process   SporTT realises they made mistakes in the  termination of individuals contract they said they will re-hire them after a two month period.

Because the restructuring process is expected to take two months. But the source noted that a number of persons questioned why the organisation did not do the necessary investigative work before with regards to the terminations of employment. Question on the economic viability of SporTT, the source said they were told the company was broke despite receiving $10 million recently. “That money was for the various Non-Government Sporting (NSO’s), payment for security, staff and other bills.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/beta/sport/2011/01/08/sportt-sends-home-107-employees

Offline Die_Hard

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 07:44:30 PM »
Nihilistic?

Offline Die_Hard

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
69 back on the job at SporTT
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 12:20:28 AM »
Government by vaps?

69 back on the job at SporTT
By Renuka Singh

Story Created: Jan 10, 2011 at 11:49 PM ECT

(Story Updated: Jan 10, 2011 at 11:49 PM ECT )

SOME 69 employees of the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SporTT) who were suspended on Friday were back at work yesterday, chairman Rhett Chee Ping said yesterday.

Another 35 workers remain on suspension. The action came on the heels of an audit at the State-owned company which discovered a $90 million discrepancy.

Among the dismissed was former acting chief executive officer, Margaret Birch-Sampson, who is now seeking legal advice.

Birch-Sampson, in a telephone interview yesterday, said the speed with which the suspensions and subsequent dismissals occurred meant the chairman already knew who he was keeping and who he was letting go before last Friday's meeting.

While she said she was surprised at the way the dismissals were handled, she was not surprised that she was on the list and claimed the move was politically motivated.

"This has to be a political thing. This was planned from before and it is purely political," she said.

"I was being left out of meetings since last year even though corporate governance states that the CEO had to be present. Up to last Wednesday I got a letter from the corporate secretary telling me not to sign any contracts or anything that could bind the company," she said.

Birch-Sampson said the chairman's claims of a "top-heavy" organisation were false since SporTT had only two senior members of staff, while the other 102 employees sat at a more junior level.

Birch-Sampson said she was dismissed even though she has been doing the Government's "bidding" since the May 24 elections.

"I had to employ as much as 10 people who were sent to the company even though no posts were advertised," she said, adding that the call came from high up the Ministry's hierarchy; a claim which Sport Minister Anil Roberts denied.

"I have never, at no time, made any requests to hire anybody," he said. He said the Ministry was not at liberty to hire anyone and he "never had any written, verbal or oral communication asking that anyone be hired".

"On the contrary, we learned that some people with only two O-Levels were signed on as senior engineers and collecting a $30,000 a month salary, while others were so-called 'engineers' and only had a certificate in landscaping," he said.

Roberts said he expected some of the dismissed employees to seek legal retribution.

"We live in a democracy and that is their democratic right. I come from a legal family so I know all about legal rights," he said. He warned though that the board sought legal advice before carrying out the suspensions and therefore they were prepared to deal with any legal fallout.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 05:32:39 AM »
Yuh know he does real annoy me with this "I come from a legal family so I know about legal issues" BS....steups!!!  Is wha??  People supposed to fraid he when he make that comment??  What an a$#@hole!!...
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 07:10:30 AM »
This Birch-Sampson real talking.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 10:22:09 AM »
Not Audited since 2004???????? look coruption. evry year those things needs to be audited.. Fire all a dem rass f**king thieves!!!!!!!!!!!

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 11:54:09 AM »
Yuh know he does real annoy me with this "I come from a legal family so I know about legal issues" BS....steups!!!  Is wha??  People supposed to fraid he when he make that comment??  What an a$#@hole!!...

Lol... I read that lat last night after Die_Hard post it, and ah tell mihself "just go in yuh bed yes, doh let Anil raise your blood pressure tonight."  He come from ah "legal family" (as opposed to an illegal one I suppose, lol) so automatically he understand de law man, he know what he doing.

On another note... I does want to hit some ah dem journalist real big stone in dey head yes.  Is it a "suspension" or a "termination?"  If yuh hiring back people then clearly they weren't suspended... stop using the terms interchangeably because they mean radically different things.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 01:00:21 PM »
Not Audited since 2004???????? look coruption. evry year those things needs to be audited.. Fire all a dem rass f**king thieves!!!!!!!!!!!

war

dat should be de primary concern but people does get bazodee when roberts open he yap.

This Birch-Sampson real talking.

so she hold back de name of de one "high up" in de ministry dat request 10 people get hired like she have something. but roberts cyah keep her on after that - he have to call she bluff.

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 10:14:35 PM »
It look like them (The current government) inviting the resurgence of Unions. Or is that they could "terminate" and "re-hire" at will because Trini workers are idiots? (witness FPATT). What is this thing about terminating  all and rehiring some, "and if they find they made a mistake, then some more will be hired?" What kinda jokey thing is that. What kinda mistake some make that cause them to not be rehired? And all without written notice? People are dummies or what? Is everybody on some kinda terminate at will contract? Is consultants?

Is that life in sweet TnT!?
Two islands are better than one.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 10:44:09 PM »
It look like them (The current government) inviting the resurgence of Unions. Or is that they could "terminate" and "re-hire" at will because Trini workers are idiots? (witness FPATT). What is this thing about terminating  all and rehiring some, "and if they find they made a mistake, then some more will be hired?" What kinda jokey thing is that. What kinda mistake some make that cause them to not be rehired? And all without written notice? People are dummies or what? Is everybody on some kinda terminate at will contract? Is consultants?

Is that life in sweet TnT!?

We so sweet these days is more diabetes in we tail.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>