March 28, 2024, 05:23:59 PM

Author Topic: $100m facility for T&T drag racing.  (Read 3734 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
$100m facility for T&T drag racing.
« on: February 06, 2011, 05:47:56 AM »
$100m facility for drag racing
By: SHASTRI BOODAN GUARDIAN).

Central Trinidad should get its very own drag racing circuit before the end of the year. The sod was turned on Tuesday to`start the construction of  the  $100 million facility at Chickland Road, Preysal, Couva.

The facility would be constructed on 200 acres of land by the Freeport Raceway Company Limited with financing from Odessa Major Organisation Limited. The first phase of the project would cost $5 million and bring substantial development and employment to the area.

Neil Boodoo, CEO of Raceway, confirmed that the drag racing tracks should be in place within eight months, once the weather holds out. When completed, Boodoo added, the facility would have a 1320 foot long drag strip, a go-kart circuit,  a motorcross circuit, a bumper car center, an indoor ice skating ring and a water park. Boodoo said Raceway was looking towards the government to develop the access infrastructure such as roads, lights and water.

Turning the sod was Dr Glenn Ramadharsingh, Caroni Central MP and Minister of the People. Ramadharsingh said governments supports the initiative of the private sector to bring development to the people of T&T. He also recognized the need for getting a racing circuit in place to curb the level of illegal racing taking place on the streets of T&T.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: $100m facility for T&T drag racing.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 04:42:05 PM »
Those whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad. Anonymous ancient proverb, wrongly attributed to Euripides. …

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 04:54:18 PM »
Actually, I think this an excellent move by that fraternity. They seeing about their sport. All the other sports should do the same.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 08:11:10 PM by Deeks »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 05:33:20 PM »
$100m facility  ??? for drag racing
By: SHASTRI BOODAN GUARDIAN).

Central Trinidad should get its very own drag racing circuit before the end of the year.  :-\ The sod was turned on Tuesday to`start the construction of the $100 million facility at Chickland Road, Preysal, Couva. Who are the contractors  ???

The facility would be constructed on 200 acres of land ( :idea: 200 hundred acres of land - not a plot to farm - like watere, water everywher, ot ah drop to drink) by the Freeport Raceway Company Limited(who dat  ???) with financing from Odessa Major Organisation Limited (who dat ?  ???). The first phase of the project would cost $5 million and bring substantial development and employment to the area.  :thumbsup:

Neil Boodoo, CEO of Raceway, confirmed that the drag racing tracks should be in place within eight months, once the weather holds out.( :-X) When completed, Boodoo added, the facility would have a 1320 foot long drag strip, a go-kart circuit, a motorcross circuit, a bumper car center, an indoor ice skating ring and a water park. Boodoo said Raceway was looking towards the government to develop the access infrastructure such as roads, lights and water. (see yesterday papers or yesteryear papers of ppl who living with poor roads, no electricity, no water, and many with no housing, and had to be removed from government lands as squatters, thus nowhere to live, Government still organizing things)

Turning the sod was Dr Glenn Ramadharsingh, Caroni Central MP and Minister of the People. Ramadharsingh said governments supports the initiative of the private sector to bring development to the people of T&T.(development for the ppl of TT?) He also recognized the need for getting a racing circuit in place to curb the level of illegal racing taking place on the streets of T&T. Didn't work for Montreal (see Gilles Villeneuve circuit.).

Deeks ah had to rush thru meh thoughts - will follow up with figures, and historical use and problems involved with the circuit, use and reduced public support here, and why it had to take a major loss and additional increase of tax ppayers funding to bring the Grand Prix back to this city, and we have plenty, and ah mean plenty, fllas who feel they is Gilles Villeneuve cousins....actually they might be... -  cause we taking the Angel out for is bday...but we go talk...Thanks again for the contacts
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 05:40:32 PM by maxg »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 08:12:30 PM »
Cool, breds!!!!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 10:01:55 AM »
http://guardian.co.tt/news/2011/02/07/tarouba-stadium-falling-apart tarouba stadium

The defence rest...like the Tarouba affair, I would only be chooking more fire that would cause only me to be burned by the wraith of those few that seek to be recognizedas being part of the 21 century, even when the majority of ppl in TT are still made to be satisfied with living in, un beknownst to them, the dark ages.

i.e. Deeks ah would be wasting both our time

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 10:05:14 AM »
About time we get a proper drag facility....the ice rink is waay over the top tho

but say wha,,we does race snowmobile on the uriah butler,, so speed skatin should be small ting
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 03:12:31 PM »
About time we get a proper drag facility....the ice rink is waay over the top tho

but say wha,,we does race snowmobile on the uriah butler,, so speed skatin should be small ting

but I thought we had one on Lower Fredrick street ahready (well, was 'the drag' in my time)...wait South ppl get tieup with what the drag really was or what ?  ;)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 08:24:13 AM »
Ah Ice Skating rink in Couva... Trinidad reach yes.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 03:11:45 PM »
It's do-able, I didn't harp on it, as it it's even more affordable than ever.. not as expensive or requires as much maintenance as say , a road to the place, no need for any water, refrigeration or electricity either
http://www.syntheticicesolutions.com/

but kids getting ruff up for Ice-skates or Air Jordans, both no good...take a item, make people think they must have it, create a need, and other ppl start believing they missing out, and life just not fairedit: wrong thread : ....Kids are funny beast, just had a long talk with lilman, that bad boy style, is just a video/movie, like ah Jedi ...gangsta is not a way to act or play at....don't believe the hype, don't know if he understood...I don't think even some adults get it
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 06:07:21 PM by maxg »

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 12:35:36 AM »
whether this is priority is open to debate...but entertainment proves a real draw for communities and for a 100 mil today is no money...when its going to benefit the local central region ....and by extension other regions of TNT

the real debate is whether it will be completed before Tarouba??
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 08:34:35 AM »
It's do-able, I didn't harp on it, as it it's even more affordable than ever.. not as expensive or requires as much maintenance as say , a road to the place, no need for any water, refrigeration or electricity either

but kids getting ruff up for Ice-skates or Air Jordans, both no good...take a item, make people think they must have it, create a need, and other ppl start believing they missing out, and life just not fairedit: wrong thread : ....Kids are funny beast, just had a long talk with lilman, that bad boy style, is just a video/movie, like ah Jedi ...gangsta is not a way to act or play at....don't believe the hype, don't know if he understood...I don't think even some adults get it

I know of the new synthetic surfaces... read an article on the latest innovation about two or three months ago...some Inuit village who installing one in Canada.  Even that cost $200K US though... assuming is even the synthetic surface they putting in.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 03:49:58 PM »
whether this is priority is open to debate...but entertainment proves a real draw for communities and for a 100 mil today is no money...when its going to benefit the local central region ....and by extension other regions of TNT

the real debate is whether it will be completed before Tarouba??

the thing i found about entertainment, especially sport & theme parks etc, it's not static..it works for a few years, then lulls, then picks up again, then lulls...can the structures survive the lulls...Right now they can't decide what to do with the Olympic stadium in Montreal...everything sporting activity has flopped in it...Baseball completely moved out of the city... Football moved out to the downtown inner city (15 minutes away), Molson (Mcgill University) in an effort to bring the community back into the game, and it worked, they tried host world cup, redid the field and soccer moved out redid an open air field on the same grounds, because the stadium rent and upkeep was too high..and now, they not sure if they should lik it down..As it is now and then used for concerts, but so few use it, the cost rarely match the revenue...So what do you do..that is a few of the issues in conctructing dedicated complexes...when there is a lull, it becomes very expensive to maintain for nothing....

I know of the new synthetic surfaces... read an article on the latest innovation about two or three months ago...some Inuit village who installing one in Canada.  Even that cost $200K US though... assuming is even the synthetic surface they putting in.
yeah overall that ridiculous in truth, buh Ttians have a penchant for affording the strangest things, just because it foreign(as long as it isn't ah returning national) and if they get enuff  ppl, maybe it would be able to absorb the initial cost, to make it a longterm self sufficient item - and ah can't comment on what the upkeep is like, except for what the man who selling it say - that is , if they going that route, as you already say, buh they cyah be thinking bout doing the refrigraation route, the Zamboni alone go cost more ...anyway ah guess rather than sending money up in smoke, they go ice some ppl b-ass-ics and let a few ppl rev dem engines, and the ppl that count (the ones with money) will be initially happy, nice-nice....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 08:33:13 PM »
So it was two months ago I read the article... was wrong about the cost, is $560,000 US to install...

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 09:27:28 PM »
well yuh know wha dey say

"Wha good for Fort Chipewyan, good for Preysal"  ....next ting Hockey team want government sponsorship to hit Winter Olympics...Playing Center ice, "The Rocket Ramlogan" an ting..and the team will need to travel to the cold to play some practice games against the canucks...by now yuh must be guessing, ah give up on this one yes...ah tryin not to give up on all ah dem

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
http://trinicenter.com/Raffique/2011/Mar/270311.htm
Hospitals of horror
By Raffique Shah
March 27, 2011

If doctors in the public health care system feel that they are being unfairly targeted by Government and the public, they need to pause, collectively inhale, and look into the mirror. They should also weed out those in their ranks who have given this once noble profession a bad reputation. Indeed, many senior doctors who have long moved on into lucrative private practice must also shoulder some blame for the ills that bedevil the public health sector today.

I have long maintained that, for all its shortcomings, most of which are beyond the control of staff, our public health system is not as woeful as many people make it out to be. Mercifully for me, as a now senior citizen (if that "status" is marked only by age), I have not had to depend on doctors to maintain my health. When one realises that the basics for staying relatively healthy lie in one's own hands, or more accurately one's feet and lifestyle, doctors become a secondary port of call.

I should add that my personal doctor and a few others I've had cause to visit from time to time, have all been very professional, very courteous. I have not always heeded their advice or recommendations. In other words, I am somewhat of a maverick: I believe I should always be in charge of me.

On occasions when I've had to use the public health system, I have found the staff, both nurses and doctors, all of them quite young, equally professional. But most times they are under stress, what with hordes of patients waiting to see them, and equipment they need, or medication, unavailable. Sometimes the clinics at these institutions appear to be severely under-staffed. Frustration builds among both patients and staff, and in such scenario, hasty-but-fateful decisions or actions could result in things going fatally wrong.

Which is when professionalism, cool and calculated thinking, ought to kick in. Doctors, nurses and other medical personnel deal with life and death situations almost on a daily basis. Besides their grasp of medical procedures, young doctors also need to have leadership qualities that they employ when they face crises. Under immense pressure, they must make tough decisions. There may be no senior practitioner around. Their colleagues may panic. Sometimes the senior officer loses his nerve and it's left to a junior to fill that decision-making breach.

I shall not dwell further on this aspect of health delivery since I am not au courant with the training doctors go though at medical schools. I should hope, though, that those who determine the curricula at these institutions see the need to include leadership training for doctors. Every graduate of medical school should be able to take charge of life-and-death situations with authority. The last thing you need in an operating theatre is panic, should something go awry.

While our public health system is far better than what passes for such in countries more developed than ours, it is hampered by archaic regulations, poor remuneration packages, and near-primitive working conditions in some instances. With the exception of the Mount Hope Hospital and several district health facilities that were constructed over the past 20 years, most other institutions stink.

Take the San Fernando Hospital, which was built by the colonial authorities back in the early 1950s. Except for a new wing that took ages to come on stream, and maybe some modern equipment added from time to time, it looks decrepit. Neither patients nor staff can be comfortable there. Why are we surprised that fatalities occur at the institution, or at the Port of Spain Hospital, as frequently as they do?

Ten years ago, I spent three nights in San Fernando after I fractured five ribs in a bad bike fall. There was no room in the ward, so I slept in the corridor. When I used the toilets, I had to wade through water to get to WCs that had no seats! The doctor administered morphine on the first night to ease the excruciating pain I endured, not by choice, but because there were no other strong pain relief drugs in the dispensary.

I refused to take a second dose of morphine, opting instead to have my family buy a less dangerous tablet the doctor recommended. My colleagues sought to move me to a private institution, but I dismissed that idea. I wanted to experience what ordinary citizens in this country who cannot afford private health care do. Sheer guts took me through those three nights.

But good doctors, like good soldiers, learn to function in the most adverse conditions.

And this is where I have problems with doctors and other professional staff who, because their work environment is close to atrocious, vent their frustration on patients. If they must protest for better remuneration and working conditions, by all means do that. Confront the regional health authority. Attack the minister, the government. Cuss Patrick Manning for wasting money on structures we didn't need, even as hospitals remained low-priority or no-priority.However, in pursuing these goals, doctors and other staff should never allow patients to suffer, or worse, to die. That is inexcusable. I hope the probe into the passing of Chrystal Ramsoomair triggers some dramatic changes not only at the San Fernando Hospital, but also at the other facilities that are crying out for attention.It is the least we taxpayers expect. No one can resurrect Chrystal. But we can certainly restructure the health sector so that such tragedies can be avoided in the future.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 01:05:43 PM by maxg »

1]; } ?>