April 26, 2024, 12:57:40 AM

Author Topic: Achievements of Trinidadians.  (Read 5924 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Achievements of Trinidadians.
« on: February 13, 2011, 11:13:52 AM »

Like most of us, I am proud to be a Trini, and given a second chance I would choose the same again. It is not only because the Soca Warriors made us the smallest nation to ever qualify for the football World Cup. Nor is it just that Brian Lara, the world's highest ever scorer of test-cricket runs, is a Trini. It is also because of all the other Trinis who have gone out into the world, and made waves. Big waves. It is because a nation of 1.3 million people could produce such outstanding and diverse talents that compete at world level and triumph.

In November, in the Arab Emirate of Qatar, a twelve-year old Trinidadian, Jonathan Bishop, was wowing the Emir and everyone else in sight with his leading-role performance as a young sultan in a musical inaugurating the venue of the 2006 Asian Games.

In October, 35-year-old Kwame Ryan excited London's opera audiences and critics with his vivacious yet sensitive conducting of the English National Opera's orchestra in a production of Salome. I had never heard those musicians play with such heart.

I am sure for each month of this year I could, if I tried, find some arena or other in which a Trinbagonian was excelling. And that is not including our young men and women garnering top marks in the 2005 Advanced level examinations. The fact that we are recognized internationally as punching above our weight became evident during my time in Japan.

Amazingly, everyone I met there knew where TT was.  And for one very simple reason. The nationalistic Japanese had remarked that in the 1964 Olympics in Tokyo a handful of brave sports men and women had marched confidently around the arena at the opening ceremony, the TT flag held proudly aloft.  Behind them came the masses of competitors from the USA and the USSR that made our tiny contingent appear mere dots on the landscape. The Japanese think we are a great people. Winning medals in '64 was only part of the admiration.  It was the courage and belief that we displayed, the David taking on Goliath, the stuff of heroism.

We celebrate the impressive achievements of our sport stars and beauty queens, our mas' men and calypsonians, but many of our other high achievers go unnoticed.  The National Institute of Higher Education, Research and Technology (NIHERST) has decided to correct this.

It just published Volume 1 of Trinidad Icons in Science and Technology that profiles thirty-nine people who made outstanding contributions in their fields, not just in Trinidad and Tobago, but in the world. How many mathematicians have a theory named after them? Rudranath Capildeo (1920-70) is one of the few.  "The Capildeo Theory" is also known as "The Theory of Rotation and Gravity" and reviewed areas of uncertainty in Einstein's theory.  Andre Cropper (1961-), from St James but now working for US Defence, has developed a new semi-conductor from thin layers of laboratory-produced diamond that is ready to "revolutionize the electronics market with new innovations."

I would bet most of us are ignorant of the fact that, for example, Bert Achong (1928-96) worked on the discovery of the Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) in 1964.  EBV is linked to two human cancers and his research helped in the treatment of related illnesses. Also, he found the first example of a retro viral infection in man using electron microscopy.

We may joke about an animal called a buffalypso but it is a prize breed of water buffalo that can resist parasites and provides good quality beef, milk and leather.  The vet, Stephen Bennett (1922-), from Princes Town, developed it here in the 1960's.

Joseph Parwan's (1887-1957) discovery that vampire bats spread rabies changed our lives forever. Elisha Tikasingh's (1927-) techniques for identifying viruses spread by mosquitoes and ticks became an international standard in arbovirology.

And of course, the man who transformed a 55-gallon steel drum into a musical instrument, the only one invented in the 20th Century that survives, is a great inventor. Elliot Manette (1927-) still works with "leading acoustic physicists and metallurgists on the science of the steelpan." If we add our writers, artists and star professionals, we have much to be proud of. But there are questions: -  how can we continue to produce such a volume of exceptional people? And, how can we keep them inside?

The icons I cite stayed connected to TT but this country remains a net exporter of incredible talent. With globalization, the trend is intensifying and the fact that TT is increasingly an unattractive place to live feeds the brain drain. Crime is only one factor, the greater, more important point is that it is clear we have not learned to run our affairs properly. We cannot hope, given where we seem headed, to convince our gifted that this is the place where they could realize their potential. If ever we could do that I would be a very proud Trini indeed.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
Re: Achievements of Trinidadians.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 05:55:38 PM »
Great read!! wasnt the man the only ACOUSTIC instrument invented in the 20t century?? not just intrument?
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 06:04:50 PM »
good.........ah wonder how many youths know these things? is it taught at school?

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 06:15:13 PM »
good.........ah wonder how many youths know these things? is it taught at school?
i could honeslty day i learnt about about 3 of the people in primary school not high school. these days i dont know wht they learning.

Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 07:05:50 PM »
i could honeslty day i learnt about about 3 of the people in primary school not high school. these days i dont know wht they learning.

Less than zero. If it coming 4 SEA they eh teachin it.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 08:47:15 PM »
great read. very impressive achievement by kwame ryan!!

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 01:14:25 PM »
great read, they are many more as well, thats why it needs to be taught to our youth so they stop emulating other societies and focus on our society and what we have produced as a nation  :beermug:

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 02:05:12 PM »
to me, The inventions are the most impressive...Buffalypso and Pan
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 03:06:22 PM »

Like most of us, I am proud to be a Trini, and given a second chance I would choose the same again. It is not only because the Soca Warriors made us the smallest nation to ever qualify for the football World Cup. Nor is it just that Brian Lara, the world's highest ever scorer of test-cricket runs, is a Trini. It is also because of all the other Trinis who have gone out into the world, and made waves. Big waves. It is because a nation of 1.3 million people could produce such outstanding and diverse talents that compete at world level and triumph.

In November, in the Arab Emirate of Qatar, a twelve-year old Trinidadian, Jonathan Bishop, was wowing the Emir and everyone else in sight with his leading-role performance as a young sultan in a musical inaugurating the venue of the 2006 Asian Games.

In October, 35-year-old Kwame Ryan excited London's opera audiences and critics with his vivacious yet sensitive conducting of the English National Opera's orchestra in a production of Salome. I had never heard those musicians play with such heart.

I am sure for each month of this year I could, if I tried, find some arena or other in which a Trinbagonian was excelling. And that is not including our young men and women garnering top marks in the 2005 Advanced level examinations. The fact that we are recognized internationally as punching above our weight became evident during my time in Japan.

Amazingly, everyone I met there knew where TT was.  And for one very simple reason. The nationalistic Japanese had remarked that in the 1964 Olympics in Tokyo a handful of brave sports men and women had marched confidently around the arena at the opening ceremony, the TT flag held proudly aloft.  Behind them came the masses of competitors from the USA and the USSR that made our tiny contingent appear mere dots on the landscape. The Japanese think we are a great people. Winning medals in '64 was only part of the admiration.  It was the courage and belief that we displayed, the David taking on Goliath, the stuff of heroism.

We celebrate the impressive achievements of our sport stars and beauty queens, our mas' men and calypsonians, but many of our other high achievers go unnoticed.  The National Institute of Higher Education, Research and Technology (NIHERST) has decided to correct this.

It just published Volume 1 of Trinidad Icons in Science and Technology that profiles thirty-nine people who made outstanding contributions in their fields, not just in Trinidad and Tobago, but in the world. How many mathematicians have a theory named after them? Rudranath Capildeo (1920-70) is one of the few.  "The Capildeo Theory" is also known as "The Theory of Rotation and Gravity" and reviewed areas of uncertainty in Einstein's theory.  Andre Cropper (1961-), from St James but now working for US Defence, has developed a new semi-conductor from thin layers of laboratory-produced diamond that is ready to "revolutionize the electronics market with new innovations."

I would bet most of us are ignorant of the fact that, for example, Bert Achong (1928-96) worked on the discovery of the Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) in 1964.  EBV is linked to two human cancers and his research helped in the treatment of related illnesses. Also, he found the first example of a retro viral infection in man using electron microscopy.

We may joke about an animal called a buffalypso but it is a prize breed of water buffalo that can resist parasites and provides good quality beef, milk and leather.  The vet, Stephen Bennett (1922-), from Princes Town, developed it here in the 1960's.

Joseph Parwan's (1887-1957) discovery that vampire bats spread rabies changed our lives forever. Elisha Tikasingh's (1927-) techniques for identifying viruses spread by mosquitoes and ticks became an international standard in arbovirology.

And of course, the man who transformed a 55-gallon steel drum into a musical instrument, the only one invented in the 20th Century that survives, is a great inventor. Elliot Manette (1927-) still works with "leading acoustic physicists and metallurgists on the science of the steelpan." If we add our writers, artists and star professionals, we have much to be proud of. But there are questions: -  how can we continue to produce such a volume of exceptional people? And, how can we keep them inside?

The icons I cite stayed connected to TT but this country remains a net exporter of incredible talent. With globalization, the trend is intensifying and the fact that TT is increasingly an unattractive place to live feeds the brain drain. Crime is only one factor, the greater, more important point is that it is clear we have not learned to run our affairs properly. We cannot hope, given where we seem headed, to convince our gifted that this is the place where they could realize their potential. If ever we could do that I would be a very proud Trini indeed.

Source please Flex?.............or your post will be deleted  ;D ;D

Just kidding..... Great read. More of this should be done to make youths aware of T&T heritage and achievements. Even in music and the pan fraternity, there are many pioneers that go unrecognized
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 09:03:54 AM »
Boss stuff Flex.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 11:30:10 AM »
Great read indeed. Correct me if I'm wrong here, growing up I learned that Winston "Spree" Simon invented the steelpan. Lately I've been hearing that Elliot Manette was the inventor. Now Ellie has a steelband orchestra right here on our university campus and I've had the previlege to meet him in person but it will be messed up to ask him "so who really invented the steelpan, you or Winston?"

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 11:34:52 AM »
FLEX,
 You have forgotten another Trini who needs to be mentioned...Professor Collin Karmody,he has done many years service in the medical field and also was credited with an invention that is used to-day, although most of his work was done in England and the USA he is a Trini to the bone,he is my mother's first cousin and I know him quite well.From what I recall the only family with that surname is my mother's family,if there is anybody with that surname they are my family,I think there are 17 people with the name in TT at preasant.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 12:25:03 PM »
Great read indeed. Correct me if I'm wrong here, growing up I learned that Winston "Spree" Simon invented the steelpan. Lately I've been hearing that Elliot Manette was the inventor. Now Ellie has a steelband orchestra right here on our university campus and I've had the previlege to meet him in person but it will be messed up to ask him "so who really invented the steelpan, you or Winston?"

You must be at WVU then... I know he's a professor there  :beermug:

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 01:04:54 PM »
FLEX,
 You have forgotten another Trini who needs to be mentioned...Professor Collin Karmody,he has done many years service in the medical field and also was credited with an invention that is used to-day, although most of his work was done in England and the USA he is a Trini to the bone,he is my mother's first cousin and I know him quite well.From what I recall the only family with that surname is my mother's family,if there is anybody with that surname they are my family,I think there are 17 people with the name in TT at preasant.

Indeed...one of the great pioneers in the field of otolaryngology. He performed the first cochlea implant in the 1980's if I recall correctly...the "bionic ear" operation.
Frico, you say this fellow is your family? You come from good stock brother  :beermug:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 01:07:51 PM by Michael-j »

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 01:50:40 PM »
Michael-j,
The Professor is my uncle and he also has a brilliant brother who has done quite a bit in science..Allister Karmody,I dont know if you live in TT but there was a store in Port-of-Spain that used to sell gold and  jewels of different type,the name was Stetchers Collin sister was owner.The name Karmody is a strange name and I am always trying to work out the origins.When I was a little boy my mum used to always tell"when yuh grow up yuh must be like Collin",but all I ever wanted to do was play football and cricket for TT and WestIndies,my dreams were killed off when we came to England.I haven't done too badly getting a little of all that I wanted.I wonder Flex could add Collin for me. 8) Regards.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 03:48:19 PM »

You must be at WVU then... I know he's a professor there  :beermug:

Correct is right...yuh done start ketching jones of we basketball team this season :devil:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 03:50:15 PM by soccerman »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 03:55:54 PM »
Andre Cropper . Was this guy a swimmer. Did he go to Howard U.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 04:08:30 PM »
Correct is right...yuh done start ketching jones of we basketball team this season :devil:

Nah man... allyuh doh frighten me, although yuh team has gotten the better of my team the last couple times we played, including earlier this season and last year in the Big East Conference final.  Different story this time around.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 05:48:46 PM »

Nah man... allyuh doh frighten me, although yuh team has gotten the better of my team the last couple times we played, including earlier this season and last year in the Big East Conference final.  Different story this time around.

So you're a HOYA fan I see...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 06:19:25 PM »
So you're a HOYA fan I see...

More than a fan... card-carrying alumnus  ;)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2016, 03:18:20 AM »

On CNN International, they are currently running a piece on marimba and its role in instilling African culture on children in South Africa. The programme addresses this in the context of an event named the International Marimba and Steelpan Festival. Had never heard of it. Have a look.

http://www.internationalmarimbafestival.org

In the CNN report, the narrator described Andy Narrell as "steepan creator and pioneer". As early as it is, I literally jumped out of bed.

Attention, attention, Pan Trinbago!!! Get on the ball.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 03:33:51 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2016, 07:01:52 AM »
Andre Cropper . Was this guy a swimmer. Did he go to Howard U.

Yes to both.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2016, 04:40:56 PM »
I did see him once or twice on campus. But I think he was in architecture and was always busy with his schoolwork. He hardly hang around. There was a next Trini guy called Poon-Kong, Raul. I hope I have it right. He was a swimmer and won some swimming awards for HU. He was HU top swimmer also. I saw him a lot. He was an architect also. Very nice guy.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 04:45:23 PM by Deeks »

1]; } ?>