March 28, 2024, 08:07:16 PM

Author Topic: Machel Montano Thread!!  (Read 53718 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Re: Machel Montano wins Soul Train Award
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2014, 01:52:15 AM »
If another soca artist wins that award again next year then I think they should change the name of that award to the "Soca Train Award".  :)
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
'Going for Gold' earns $.175m
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2015, 01:34:29 PM »
'Going for Gold' earns $.175m
Opposition Senator quizzes Bhoe on 5m for Machel's 50th Independence Project

By Ria Taitt Political Editor
Story Created: Jan 20, 2015 at 9:46 PM ECT
Story Updated: Jan 21, 2015 at 8:23 AM ECT
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/carnival/articles/Going-for-Gold-earns-175m-289239821.html

Government’s $5 million invest­ment in the Going for Gold 50th Independence anniversary project produced by Machel Montano has thus far yielded a profit of $175,000, Planning Minister Dr Bhoe Tewarie told the Senate yesterday. Tewarie said Montano’s compa­ny, Going for Gold Ltd, had been paid $5 million in full by the Government of Trinidad and Tobago because it met all its obligations.

Tewarie was responding to a ques­tion in the Senate, at Tower D, International Waterfront Centre, Port of Spain, from PNM (People’s National Movement) Senator Lester Henry, who asked whether Tewarie knew at what point this significant investment would be recovered, in terms of generating any kind of revenue and profit.

Tewarie said he did not know, “but just as you didn’t think there was an album and there is one,

just so, everything will come”.

Tewarie stated the accounts showed as of 2013, $4,762,925.31 was spent to develop the project.

These expenses included band fees; fees of professional producers, glo­bal and national; subsistence; purchasing of merchandise; administrative fees; performers; dancers; costumes, etc, all related to the production of a 12-track music CD album, one documentary DVD; eight music videos; promotion of the album through launches and live performances in London, England; Miami, Florida, USA; and Trinidad.

According to Tewarie, the balance at the period end of June 2013 recorded a savings of $308,000. But he noted there were still outstanding expenses to be met by the Going For Gold Company, such as corporation taxes and VAT. He said there were also monies to be received in terms of earnings for the project, which at the present time amount to $175,000.

Tewarie said on July 18, 2012, Gov­ernment entered into a $5 milli­on contract with Going for Gold Ltd, of 39 Gordon Street, Port of Spain. The Going for Gold project was launched in celebration of the country’s 50 years of independence. Machel Montano was the executive producer of the project.

The contract was signed by the permanent secretary in the Ministry of Planning, Arlene Mc Comie, for the Government and by Michael and Elizabeth Montano, on behalf of the company.

The obligation by the company included the creation of an album; securing the commitment of local writers and producers, artistes, recording engineers and creative collaborators necessary to create the album; the production of a documentary video entitled Going for Gold, highlighting the processes involved in the creation of the album; and performances at agreed dates outlined in the contract.

Tewarie said because the company met all of its contractual obli­gations, the $5 million had been paid in full.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Say sorry, Machel.
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2015, 02:53:09 AM »
Organisers of Fatima Carnival fete call for apology following ‘unprofessional’ behaviour
By Nigel Telesford (Express).

SAY SORRY, MACHEL

Organisers of Fatima College’s annual all-inclusive are calling on reigning Soca Monarch Machel Montano to apologise for his “upsetting and unprofessional” behaviour at the $950-a-ticket Carnival fete last Saturday night.

President of the Fatima Old Boys’ Association, Dwight Andrews, told the Express yesterday that the organising committee and the principal of Fatima College, Fr Gregory Augustine, found Montano’s behaviour to be “deplorable”. He added that they were still in discussions with his management regarding some “suitable compensation”.

He said: “We at Fatima deplore the behaviour of Mr Montano and we are pursuing discussions right now with his management, as this is not a matter that we intend to treat lightly or just leave alone.”

Andrews added that Montano’s claim of a faulty sound system appeared to be unsubstantiated and insisted that if there was a problem, Montano did not handle it in the proper manner.

“The sound system is the same one that was used last year when Mr Montano performed last year and it was the same sound system that all the other bands used on the night.

His actions have the potential of damaging our brand when we are of the opinion that there was absolutely nothing wrong—and, we are further of the opinion that even if something was wrong that there is a method and a way that anybody who purports to be a professional would carry themselves and deal with such problems and that method—which we have all been taught by our elders, teachers and others— definitely wasn’t followed,” he said.

At many of his appearances this Carnival season, Montano has complained about technical issues and was both seen and heard arguing with band members onstage several times during performances at various events.

With the atmosphere ripe for his appearance at Fatima’s all inclusive on Saturday, he delivered an anti-climax of disappointment to patrons when his appearance was marred with a troubled opening sequence, the sudden removal of the “island” section of the stage that jutted into the audience and a series of unflattering remarks about the sound system, the organisers and the professionalism of the other bands on the billing.

Montano, a multiple Road March winner, performed at the Fatima all-inclusive for the first time last year following an intervention by then-minister of sport Anil Roberts who is a past pupil of the seven-year college. He returned to the event last Saturday night for the second year and his performance was highly-anticipated to bring the event to a successful conclusion.

His behaviour and language on stage at a fete in Tobago last month was also criticised, but he denied the incident which was reported by the Express.

Attempts to contact the singer’s management yesterday proved futile.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Say sorry, Machel.
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2015, 06:53:15 AM »
Machel, pay heed to your actions, dred. Always pay heed to those you pass-by on the way up. You will see them on your way down. Moonman Connection from Baltimore.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2015, 04:30:14 PM »
  if he ent want to perform in the fete why take ppl money and then get on sour...either tell ppl no you not performing or if you do perform just be a professional and get on with the job nah. you feel he will go and get on so in madison square garden??

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Machel Monday Review: Machel Is Boss
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2015, 12:00:57 PM »
Machel Is Boss
By Iana Seales Wednesday, February 11 2015 (T&T Newsday)

Up High: The high energy performances synonymous with soca star Machel Montano was on full display when he joined Lyrikal on stage for a performance of 'Cloud 9' at his annual Machel Monday concert, Hasley Crawford Stadium, Port-of-Spain.
Author: ANGELO MARCELLE

Soca star Machel Montano opened his roaring set at Hasley Crawford Stadium, on Monday evening, with a marching band, drums, and the song which sums up his dominance of this year’s Carnival. 

The lyrics to the likely 2015 Road March “Like Ah Boss” commit the singer to a life driven by perfection — even if that level of excellence is applied to how he fetes. The underlying message captures the necessary, but difficult, struggle to do things right.

That central mission to do things “Like Ah Boss” continues to drive him after 33 years in the business. Two months after his 40th birthday, the Siparia boy who came to us when he “Too Young to Soca” still reigns. If anyone had any doubts about his dominance, he put them to rest with a triumphant return to the stadium in Port-of-Spain during the most recent installment of “Machel Monday.”

The massive crowd of about 35,000 was extremely loud when he appeared on stage and remained incredibly loyal to the singer throughout the set, following his every command.

But against the backdrop of sustained success and growing fan adulation, Montano continues to face criticisms over his public conduct, and not the kind he could easily shake off on a night set aside to cement his status in the industry.

“They could flush me down the toilet every morning, I am still here doing me. They could cuss me out, I am still here…I’m doing this for my staff. I treat them well, ask them,” he said as the set neared a close and his staff stood alongside him on the stage. His remarks were likely in reference to public outrage over his conduct at the Fatima College fete, last Saturday, in addition to a few other appearances this season which drew negative coverage.

His denials of poor conduct aside, Montano used the first few hours of his show to demonstrate why he runs ahead of the field. He marched onto the stage, wearing a military costume, sunglasses concealing his eyes, and launched into a power performance of “Like Ah Boss.”

Three minutes into the set, he changed costumes, unveiling a more relaxed look to rip into his 2015 Carnival repertoire, serving up hits such as “Endless Wuk,” “Erupt,” and “Remedy.” He didn’t look like he has been performing fete after fete without a break and as he claimed, barely any sleep. He was signature Machel Montano, bouncing around the stage, booming vocals, and seemingly inexhaustible energy.

“You remember the old stuff?” he roared, quickly delving into his extensive catalog dating back to the Xtatic days. At almost painfully loud volumes, the crowd responded by expressing its intention to sing along with every song and loudly approve each selection on the set list.

Montano responded in turn by serving up dated hits and new songs, but in between breaks to accommodate his strong line-up of guest artistes. When he popped off the stage, he would reappear in a new outfit to match the tempo of the song he was performing at the time.

During the more than four-hour long show, Montano created room for a number of soca artistes. These included Alison Hinds, Farmer Nappy, Nadia Batson, Patrice Roberts, Destra Garcia, Kerwin Du Bois, Lyrikal, Olatunji, Saddis and Lead Pipe and other artistes.

“I want to introduce this guy to you...he is one of us,” Montano said as he made way for Skinny Fabulous, who appeared first in the guest line-up at about 10.20 pm. The energy which Skinny Fabulous brought to the stage was consistent throughout the parade of guest performers — from Angela Hunte, Shaggy and Sean Paul to Chris Martin and Beenie Man.

“Thanks to Machel for everything he has done... for his talents, his music. If anyone has not thanked you for everything please allow me to thank you,” Batson declared while on stage. Montano, in turn, thanked her for her contributions in the industry and for writing all the songs on the “Patrol Riddim.” The appreciative chorus from Batson was echoed by other guest artistes including Du Bois, who praised Montano for his work in the industry. “This guy has been at it so long and he has done so much,” Du Bois said.

Though much of the concert was devoted to soca music, Montano also showcased his range, paying tribute to Bob Marley with a soulful rendition of “Waiting in Vain.” Later in the show, he stripped things down during a duet with Garcia — playing the guitar and serenading her with the slow jam vibes of “With or Without You.”

Montano and Garcia had the audience crooning along with the classics such as, “Time after Time.” They also performed a haunting version of the new track, “Come Back.” From there, Montano ramped up the energy with guest performers “Papa Jay,” a six-year-old dancing sensation and later, Beenie Man. The “Dancehall King”, an obvious crowd pleaser, worked the stage and the audience so well it felt like his show for a brief period.

“Machel, please leave my stage,” he said jokingly to Montano when he first appeared on stage and the soca singer quickly complied.

During his final minutes on stage, Montano asked of his fans, “Who is going home to head out to work in the morning?”

“That’s how we do it, we party and we get to work on time the next day,” he said. The crowd roared in agreement and as if on cue, he served up a final performance of “Like Ah Boss” closing the show at 2.30 am.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 02:24:51 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2015, 01:22:11 AM »
Check this article out....

Machel has every right to complain
Published: Thursday, February 12, 2015 (T&T Guardian)

Machel Montano doing his thing "Like A Boss"

We really are a funny society. As the price of mas costumes increase exponentially some of us still willingly give our salaries wholeheartedly to these mas bands. We won’t ever rally together to express our outrage over what is clearly a rip off.

I love Carnival, but these very basic pieces of underwear with feathers and beads stuck to them should not cost as much as they do. I’ve heard the attempts at justifying the cost of these adornments: labour, so-called high-end materials, time spent on creating, logistics and paying for an incomparable experience. These are the same scanty pieces of clothing that you use for a few hours and then discard. Sounds like money well spent to me. But that’s just my opinion—to each his own. We earn our keep and we should spend as we desire.

But what I find baffling is patrons were upset over what was allegedly Machel Montano’s disrespectful behaviour at the Fatima all-inclusive fete. This is where I find so much humour. The patrons paid $950 per ticket but complained when Mr Montano expressed his right and need to have a properly-functioning sound system at the venue.

Patrons expressed disappointment and disgust at Mr Montano’s behaviour. Really? Mr Montano still remains the consummate professional and delivers consistently every time. Anyone that is objective in their stance would be able to easily identify that. I see no reason for him to apologise as he was well within his right to point out the faulty system. The organisers should have done a better job in preparing. They should be the ones to apologise!

I honestly have no problem with playing mas and I love seeing our people having a good time. But let’s be fair and objective. We can’t complain when one of our own has a standard to maintain, so Mr Montano’s obvious disquiet with the set-up at Fatima does not warrant an apology. Patrons spent far less for the fete tickets than one would pay for a costume, but made a point in stating Mr Montano disappointed them. That we complain about when he was trying to give them their money’s worth!

I’m aware that not everyone that fetes plays mas, but a significant portion does. So tell me, do the band owners apologise to you when they continue to blatantly rip you off? Or how about soca artistes that sing songs with a total of four or five words? How about those that habitually talk more than they sing at every fete? What about those that use the stage to complain about being “fought down” all the time? Do we demand apologies from them?

We take so much crap and say nothing. But when Mr Montano legitimately expressed his anger and frustration we were deeply offended. Enough with the double standards.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2015, 03:12:53 PM »
Everyone has a right to complain but it is how you complain. Using profanity filled sentences is not an appropriate method simply because he has turned the focus away from faulty equipment to himself but in the eat ah food mentality he who eats the most complains the most I guess.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Machel Monday Review: Machel Is Boss
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2015, 10:47:52 AM »
Machel wins 7th Road March title
By Kalifa Clyne (T&T Guardian)
Published: Thursday, February 19, 2015

Machel Montano

Machel Montano has successfully defended his Road March title, placing first and second in the annual Carnival competition. Montano, who also won the Power Soca Monarch on Friday, placed first with his song Like a Boss, which played 390 times at judging points across the country and second with his power soca song Erupt, which played 37 times. Groovy Soca Monarch Olatunji Yearwood placed third as his song Ola was played 22 times.

In a release yesterday, the Trinbago Unified Calypsonian Organisation (Tuco) said Montano’s win, though by a large margin, was surpassed by the song Palance in 2010 by J.W and Blaze and Fantastic Friday by Super Blue in 2013. Montano has won the competition seven times. The record for most Road March wins belongs to deceased calypsonian Lord Kitchener, who won the competition 10 times. Montano ranks fourth in terms of number of wins.

Yesterday, Montano told CNC3 he was happy to secure another win, noting it was not the first time more than one of his songs had finished in the top three. He said Like Ah Boss was actually made for the 2014 Groovy Monarch title but they decided to hold it back because they felt Happiest Man Alive would bring it and it didn’t.

“...So we always like to keep a bullet in the chamber just in case yuh know, because we really want to succeed, not on a competition level but we want to even compete with ourselves and make sure that we could do the best thing for the country to smile, to make everybody smile and share that happy moment...” The results for Downtown Carnival competition were also released by Port-of-Spain Mayor Raymond Tim Kee.

Ronnie and Caro’s Ah Come Back Home (Large Band), Mas Passion’s Maskerade (medium) and Rosalind Gabriel and Village Promotions’ A Tribute to Cito Velesquez (small) were the winners. Tim Kee expressed his appreciation to mas bands and spectators for participating in Carnival, saying mas had “come back” to downtown. He said the number of bands passing the South Quay judging point had doubled from last year, with big bands such as Tribe and Island people making a return.

He also praised collaborative efforts between the National Carnival Commission (NCC), corporation and former National Security Minister Gary Griffith for the return of mas to downtown. “We were successful, more spectators and the stands were filled more than at other judging points,” Tim Kee said.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Epic of Monk Monte
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2015, 10:44:19 AM »
The Epic of Monk Monte
Story Created: Feb 26, 2015 at 10:38 PM ECT (T&T Express)

SIMPILY EPIC: Caesar’s Army will host a section in EPIC MAS Band. The costume is designed by Janelle Forde aka designer J Angelique, second from left, with models Kandi King, Soowan Bramble and Leah Marville.

The reigning seven-time National Road March Monarch and five-time International Power Soca Monarch, Machel “Monk Monte” Montano on Ash Wednesday in Tobago presented a sneak peek of his Epic Mas band’s 2015 presentation. This is Montano’s global mas production entity.

Local promotions outfit, Candy Coated Events hosted the Wine Down Cruise and the EPIC team, where Montano treated guests to a presentation of costumes and music set against the sunset backdrop.

Scores of patrons showed up to the event ready to lime and unwind after Carnival, but had no idea that they would be treated to a show with the reigning Soca Monarch himself. Montano treated them to a surprise performance that sent the crowd into a frenzy.

As Montano worked the audience, several models debuted the costume designs for the Caesar’s Army (another local event production outfit) section in the Epic mas band. Needless to say it was quite an impressive display that left everyone talking about the upcoming Hollywood carnival out in Los Angeles in June later this year.

Epic began as a section of 80 masqueraders at The Los Angeles Culture Festival’s Hollywood carnival in 2014. The presence of legendary masman Peter Minshall’s world famous puppets, Tan Tan and Saga Boy along with celebrity masqueraders such as Anya Ayoung Chee, Leah Marville, Damien Dante Wayans, Eva Marcille, and promotional group Caesar’s Army, Epic left an unforgettable mark on the three-year-old Hollywood carnival.

For 2015, Epic is expanding its footprint in Hollywood by becoming a full-fledged mas band with four sections.

They are aiming towards 300 masqueraders, more celebrity guests and the inclusion of popular section partners from Trinbago and Los Angeles. Epic Mas Band will have a full premiere at the launch of the Los Angeles Culture Festival on March 13, while the Hollywood carnival officially takes place on Saturday June 27.

Even as they are set to expand, the Epic team has already set their sights beyond LA, committing to participate in Saldenah’s Mas Band presentation “The Chronicles of Machel Montano” at Toronto’s Caribana festival in August 2015. The section will be titled “Like Ah Boss.”

Central to the success and impact of Epic is the involvement of international Montano as the band’s ambassador. Montano spends part of the year in Los Angeles and through Epic and Hollywood carnival, he is committed to exposing the West Coast of the US and the world at large to Caribbean culture and music.

Said Montano: “Hollywood carnival 2014 was a dream come true for me. I was inspired by its potential in 2013 and began working with the LACF to spread the word on a global scale about the infectious feeling we’ve created by lighting up Hollywood Boulevard.”

Early supporters of Epic and the Hollywood carnival, Jules Sobion of Caesar’s Army and designer Anya Ayoung Chee were also full of praise for the T&T invasion on Hollywood carnival.

“From chipping down the Hollywood Boulevard alongside Tan Tan & Saga Boy to the showcasing of our amazing culture to the throngs of spectators that lined the streets, the overall experience was amazing… The Romans will definitely be there in full force for 2015,” Sobian said. Ayoung Chee added, “LA Carnival and the entire Epic weekend were fantastic... It is a great honour to be part of a movement bringing Trinidad Carnival to the world.”

The Epic costumes are being designed to be reused as club wear, beach wear and even for other carnivals.

This duality of purpose of the products is key to the new approach to mas.

The costume designers are all from Trinidad and Tobago and includes, Anya Ayoung Chee, Janelle Forde, Sandra Hordatt and Marie Collette.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Monk Monté shares his investment philosophy
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2015, 07:59:33 AM »
By Natalie Briggs (T&T Guardian)
Published: Sunday, March 1, 2015

Machel Montano aka Monk Monté

The view of Port-of-Spain from his west Trinidad penthouse apartment is spectacular. Sitting on a bar stool on the balcony of the apartment, Machel Jesus Montano contemplates the scene.

In person, Montano is cool, calm, almost zen-like, in stark contrast to his high-energy, sometimes controversial, stage persona. He possesses an urbane wit, something he doesn’t hesitate to demonstrate.

“Am I a businessman?” He mulls the question over and takes a page out of Jay-Z’s book, “I’m not a businessman. I’m a business, man!”

The boy who wowed crowds at 12 with an irresistible cuteness at the 1986 Dimanche Gras competition, singing Too Young to Soca, has spawned his own sub industry within the soca genre, with a branded concert series, merchandise, food and beverage, an app and even his own video game.

This, despite his own admission of not having a “fondness for figures or even physical money.”

While public speculation into his earnings and net worth is rampant, Montano shies away from specifics.

“I work hard enough to make sure I have enough to do whatever it is I like to do,” said the soca artiste.

“I’ve never really hung my hat too high. I’m not really much of a spender either. I’m very, very disciplined in terms of savings and very much into reinvesting in what I do.”

Warming up to the interview as he realises the discussion will not be centered around his winnings, income, concert receipts and the like, Montano discloses why he chose the Sunday BG to talk about his journey from the Savannah stage that night in 1986 to a multimedia spectacle that attracted between 25,000 and 30,000 people at this year’s Machel Monday.

Montano says it is for people to know and understand his business philosophy, which is built not only on constant reinvestment in his product and diversification of his assets, but also investment in others.

Montano has a staff of 50, more at Carnival, and he said he encourages every one of them to become business people in their own right.

“I also think it is important for businesses to invest in people,” said Montano.

His story is his way of leading by example, encouraging business owners to invest in their employees.

He didn’t always see things this way.

Montano reminisced about his attitude to money in his late teens.

“I had a very carefree attitude towards it in the early years. I remember thinking somewhere in the teenage years, that if I did X number of shows, if I keep taking shows, I could probably make some serious money and I started trying to do more and more and more shows.”

One summer he, the band and another teenage friend acting as manager, set up their own solo shows.

“We did them and we did them and we did them,” Montano thumps the table for emphasis here. “We were buying sneakers and hats and clothes while we were doing it. When the end of the summer came, we wanted to see where the money went and we couldn’t find any of it. That was a definite, definite point in my life, around 18, 19, when I realised, run down money, what you will probably do at the end of the day is probably lose it, you’ll probably spend it just as fast as you earn it.”

Montano said this was the point he decided to create legacies.

“I told myself, I’ll work hard on the integrity of my product, I’ll work hard on making something that will stand the test of time.”

“I stopped looking at the bottom line, stopped looking at what was being made at every show and started looking at what kinds of albums would I make and what kind of songs would they have and what kind of look I wanted the band to have. What I wanted the stage show to look like. And I kept increasing in that product, investing in that product, letting it stand out. Letting it mean something to people...You see, sometimes there is a healthy reward in keeping your head down and working hard on your product.”

Monk’s profit philosophy

Montano’s “reward” has allowed him to invest heavily in something he has an almost spiritual reverence for: land.

While he admits to have some equities in local and foreign markets, real estate is his true love.

“For me, it’s almost like owning a piece of the earth. It is something that doesn’t rotten. It only increases in value over time.”

Montano owns properties in California and New York and has plans to make purchases in Jamaica and other Caribbean islands. He also holds real estate in Trinidad, as well as Tobago. The lands that grow the cocoa that will eventually become his branded chocolate hold pride of place.

“I think it is not just meaningful in terms of the intangible, but also something that is purposeful. For example, my investment into cocoa and chocolate is really based on sustainability for community, for the farmers, the villages that invest in these things. The Brasso Seco Village, Maracas Village where we have land, I see a long-term vision to help with agriculture and to teach people farming.”

Working as one with nature is also important to Montano. The soca artiste said much experimentation has gone on at an abandoned property he purchased in Toco, including trials in manufacturing soap and wine. He sees the property possibly becoming a “wellness” centre; the concept of wellness itself, he thinks, will become increasingly important in the future.

Montano’s financial ethos is an eclectic blend of the hard-nosed rational and the esoteric. Its development is a constantly evolving process

“My philosophy is the monk philosophy. It is a Movement of New Knowledge. Where is this movement happening? This movement is happening first of all inside of me. That is based on three pillars, the triangle.”

The table again becomes his drawing board.

“Tradition on the left, technology on the right and the truth in the middle. Left is the past, right is the future, the middle is the present...You want to marry the traditions of your past with the ever-changing, fluid situations of your future and technology, and you want to bring it into your present moment and let it inform your truth, let it inform your reality.”

Tradition, technology

Giving an inside look at his financial underpinnings, Montano said his parents always encouraged himself and his siblings to be workers and savers, while giving them much leeway to develop their own business sense.

“I always remember, being in charge of our own money from the age of 12. How much money we made, how much money we spent, buying our own clothes. Our parents set us up to be very independent. I say that in a good way. We were making our own destiny and our parents stopped giving us allowances. At age 13, we were really businessmen of our own, because we were working and performing.”

The soca star said from a very early age he had funds invested in the Unit Trust Corporation. His parents were also aware of the pitfalls of the entertainment industry, particularly as artistes aged.

Montano said they ensured band members had annuities and pension plans “to make sure that we had something to look forward to.”

However, his parents would manage his overall holdings until roughly ten years ago, said Montano.

Since then he said: “I’ve basically been deciding how I make my money and how I spend my money.”

One of the things he chooses to spend on is Carnival. Montano has launched his own band, the Epic Mas Band and has ambitions of updating this cornerstone of T&T’s culture. He is sure his experience in putting together one of the season’s more memorable events, Machel Monday, can be parlayed into good business.

“I can go in and make a difference in terms of the suggestions I may have, in terms of making these events more manageable yes. But more commercial and in a way, more beneficial to the communities that they exist in. For example, making mas in different communities, we want to encourage factories in Trinidad that make mas, that make steelpan.”

The steelpan itself is receiving the “Machel” touch. Montano said he has invested in the company Indigisounds. Owned by two young men, Montano said the company has changed the very landscape of pan music by allowing arrangers to “virtually” arrange their music through a library of digital samples of an entire pan orchestra. Instead of going to panyards to teach individual sections what to play, arrangers can now sit at home and hear what their song sounds like.

Rum drinking was another one of those local traditions to which Montano wanted to add his spin. Seeing it as a budding industry, he envisioned the 3-Zero rum brand as forever demolishing the image of dissolute rum drinkers living in rumshops. Three Zero was sexy, chic and was supposed to be representative of a new, sophisticated creature, the rum connoisseur, he said.

“Three-Zero was another attempt to diversify...It wasn’t an easy business. It was an uphill battle because, of course, we come out in a country where the rum industry is dominated by a major powerhouse, which is almost a monopoly. Sometimes, you try to go and sell ideas and nobody will see your dreams and nobody will see the attempt at change. But I think we did dent the market a bit, we did let people dream higher.”

There were challenges with the production of the spirit, with the decision being made to finally set up in Barbados.

“3-Zero is still going. We are still focusing, but we have our eye on the next step,” said the soca artiste.

Montano’s lips were sealed regarding that next step and the future of the rum brand.

Truth

As the conversation continued, it became clearer that Montano, like any other average Joe, relishes his successes and ruminates on his failures, the difference perhaps being in scale of those successes and failures.

In Montano’s case, they go hand in hand; one couldn’t happen without the other.

While his largest financial success is the Machel Monday series, it grew out of the Real Unity concert disaster, something he considers his worst financial failure.

In terms of his biggest financial success, he says: “I am proud to say with my show, I hire every supplier in the country, in terms of scaffolding, in terms of stage, light and sound. Sometimes I have three, four different people working in unison to put this event on. Right now we are reaching the point where the stadium is too small for us.”

“We have the largest soca show today, which came from the Alternative Concert, the building ground for that. We started off with 5,000 people at O2. Now we have 25-30,000 at the national stadium. It took about 10 to 12 years to build. Now it is a solid brand. It is a brand that people know will not only deliver a high-quality show, but it will deliver something that is very inspirational, it will deliver something memorable, something futuristic.”

On his biggest financial failure, Montano said it was problems with finding a suitable venue that caused the Real Unity debacle.

“I remember promoting that concert up the Caribbean, promoting it in New York. I wanted to show people what Machel Montano was all about. Bringing people together. We tried to build a VIP stand. That was the year, probably right after Miss Universe. They brought in these bleachers for Miss Universe and we wanted to use them. At the time, we didn’t have permission to use the stadium for these kinds of shows. As a result, there was a tragedy.

“It was one of the hardest times for me business wise. At the same time I was signed to Atlantic Records. I had to go away to represent my genre and my country and my culture, while being heavily sued back home, and with my parents being in an unstable situation because of this financial challenge that was in front of us...this monster, this beast. It didn’t help in my production, it didn’t help me in my mind.”

The popularity of Machel Monday aside, the soca artiste said he actually makes the bulk of his money outside of this country and most of this income is in US dollars.

The Sunday BG asked members of his management team what was his situation under new FATCA regulations, given his US holdings, earnings and residency. They were, however, reluctant to share this information.

Montano said he prefers to invest the majority of his income back into his holdings, which are mostly based in T&T. By his own estimate, the soca star said he ploughs as much as 70 per cent of his income back into investments.

These are not just in making his show and his product better, but he said he also invests in developing people and talent. Montano has been instrumental in the careers of Nadia Batson, Patrice Roberts and Skinny Fabulous, among others.

“I measure my success by how many other people I have been able to help be successful.” said Montano.

He advised young and upcoming artistes to secure the best management teams their money could buy, inclusive of creative, marketing and financial talent.

A future without Monk Monte?

Every career, even one as illustrious as Montano’s, comes to an end. In the event of an accident, or his death, Montano said he is insured, but provided few details about the extent and nature of his coverage.

He is pragmatic as he realises the day may come when he may no longer feel the urge, or be able to mount the stage to earn his bread.

“You have things that can last, so that if Machel Montano...”. He stops to knock on the wood table. “...is not able to perform for a year, he could release a greatest hits album, he could go back in the archives and say here is my calypso repertoire.”

And the soca star is always working, thinking and looking for new ways to expand his ever-increasing empire. He has made forays into film with the movie Scandalous and following the development of his app and video game, he said he is always looking for new ways to invest in technologies.

What is next for the Monk? The idea is probably already forming in his mind. And whatever it is he’ll, very probably, do it like a boss.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:04:48 AM by Socapro »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Machel Montano Thread!!
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2015, 05:28:59 AM »
Liz: Machel ‘dead’ at birth
By SEAN DOUGLAS (Newsday).

THE world nearly lost the music of soca star Machel Montano, who was at birth deemed stillborn, until saved by the frantic efforts of one Dr Roonarinesingh, revealed his mother, Elizabeth (Liz) Montano.

Her heartwarming tale came yesterday at a women’s forum at the Radisson Hotel, Port-of-Spain, held by former COP chairman Nicole Dyer-Griffith.

Explaining Machel’s 2015 “Monk Monte” moniker, Liz said his early brush with death has left him very spiritual today.

“I ‘made’ him without any pain or pushing, because the doctor had said, ‘the baby is stillborn and we are just trying to save your life’,” she told avid listeners.

“I made him and he just lay down like this. He didn’t cry or move or anything. Then the doctor turned away from me and started to pump oxygen, pump oxygen, pump out mucus. ‘Ice water on his heart! Ice water on his heart!’ Pow! Pow! Pow! Pow! Licks! Then he (Machel) bawl.”

Liz said Machel’s infant life was then nearly derailed by another mishap, that could today have seen him peddling doubles on the streets of Princes Town.

“They took him away and put him in an incubator. Later on when they brought him to me, they brought this fat, rosy Indian baby. I said, ‘what happened to all of you? You want my husband to put me out?’ My son was exchanged with (that of) a friend of mine, I think the daughter is part of Ali’s Doubles. She was my friend, we lived on campus together, and the two sons were exchanged. The little son grew up big and used to come to parties and say, ‘I was exchanged with Machel Montano’.”

Liz told yet another story of her close bond with her son and surviving adversity. She related that in 1992 at Carnival, she and Machel were in a car crash ending up in a ditch in Chaguanas. “Machel took me up in his arms, running up and down the highway, but nobody would stop.” She said despite his comforting words that she was suffering only “a little scratch” to her face, in fact her right eye had come out of its socket and was dangling down on her face. They eventually got to hospital where her eye was operated on. Liz said ultimately she lost that eye to glaucoma. By 2003 she began to lose her left eye too due to sympathetic ophthalmitis where her good eye emulates her bad eye, until fortunately saved by surgery.

Liz, who recalled as a child sometimes walking from her humble Carenage home to her Woodbrook school to save bus-fare, spoke of her mindset that had carried her through various adversities in life. She said her life is dedicated to her children, Machel and Captain Marcus Montano (a CAL pilot), saying men and women have different purposes including women bearing children.

Saying she doesn’t lime, Liz said she wants very little apart from gym workouts and a weekly visit to church and a massage salon.

“Most of my success is based on my determination, and not to feel inferior to anybody,” she related. “It’s just part of me that I take nothing as a problem; if something comes up, I’ll find out what needs to be done.” Saying she makes herself happy, Liz said that from young she never sought to emulate anyone as she always knew what she had wanted.”

She said she had always taught her children to always be honest to her, so that however bad things might get, she could always help find a solution. She also told them to never feel they are better than anyone else. Her advice to Machel for handling the critics, was that misery likes company and that most critics don’t know him and in their own lives have little going for them.

Further explaining Machel’s Monk moniker, Liz said it stands for “Movement Of New Knowledge (MONK)”, a foundation he is setting up to help youngsters develop their musical talent. “We’ll form a label (MONK) to help others,” she vowed. The session also heard contributions by Dyer-Griffith who spoke of the society now needing “oxygen” to discuss various issues.

The 100 women present also heard from Michele Charles who overcame poverty and teen pregnancy to become a qualified teacher and raise six children; Katherine Stollmeyer-Wight who spoke of surviving her father’s tragic murder by bandits; Nichelle Dottin-John relating the struggles documented in her book, Understanding mid-life crisis and divorce; and fashion designer, Richard Young, of “The Cloth”.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2015, 08:52:12 AM »

Bahamian artiste against Machel in Junkanoo Carnival

http://looptt.com/2015/04/11/bahamian-artiste-protest-machel-junkanoo-carnival/

A war of words has erupted in the Bahamas over a decision to have Machel Montano close Bahamas’ Junkanoo Carnival.

Recording artiste Kirkland “KB” Bodie has criticised the organisers for including foreign artistes.

However, bandleader Obie Pinding, the son of the late Bahamas Prime Minister Sir Lynden Pindling, has called Bodie’s comments “misleading, incorrect and inflammatory.”

According to reports emerging out of Bahamas, Bodie criticised the inclusion of Montano, which Bahamas Carnival authorities had said was to add some diversity to island’s event.

‘That’s our problem in (this) country; we have too much diversity. This country needs to be Bahamian. Let’s stop talkin’ stupidness ‘bout diversity’,” Bodie reportedly said on a radio interview in Bahamas.

“Now I find out that it’s more Trinidadian and it’s less Bahamianised. . . How do you think I feel? “We have a situation where a Grammy award winning group (Baha Men) has to open up for a non-Grammy award winning group? No man, we have to be the stupidest people in the world,” he added.

Ironically, the Baha Men hit, “Who Let the Dogs Out,” was originally recorded by Trinidadian singer Anslem Douglas.

Pindling, in a 2000 word statement, said that what Bodie’s comments about Trinidad, it’s Carnival, it’s music industry and about Machel Montano,  were either incorrect or misleading.

“With the utmost respect to my friend (Bodie), I find these comments most unfortunate and potentially harmful to our music industry,” he said.

Pindling also criticised Bodie’s statement that Bahamians were never invited to Trinidad’s Carnival.

“Every year, they (Trinidad) invite artists from all over the Caribbean to submit their songs as part of the International Soca Monarch competition. It is an undeniable fact that Trinidad welcomes regional artists with open arms and so do all the other islands,” Pindling said.

Bahamas Carnival is set for May 7-9

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2015, 02:42:16 PM »
LA carnival is poorly organized by the Trini counterparts and has not reached a wide audience or even the TT community out there...

they need proper leadership in the ranks... bc there is so much potential

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2015, 11:24:07 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: *DEAD*

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/VYTHNKZUvuk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/VYTHNKZUvuk</a>

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2015, 03:21:10 PM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: *DEAD*

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/VYTHNKZUvuk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/VYTHNKZUvuk</a>
smh. lol. true kix.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2015, 08:51:53 AM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: yea that sh*t was funny

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I’ll take soca to the world
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2015, 09:10:37 PM »
I’ll take soca to the world
Thursday, May 14 2015 (T&T Newsday)

MACHEL'S MILLIONS: Soca Superstar Machel Montano, right, receives his Soca Monarch first prize of $2 million from Arts and Multiculturalism Minister Lincoln Douglas at a prize giving function yesterday at the Queen's Park Oval.
Author: Sureash Cholai

SOCA superstar Machel Montano yesterday collected his brand new 2014 Mitsubishi Lancer as well as $2 million for retaining this year’s Road March and International Soca Monarch titles in Carnival.

Montano also reaffirmed his commitment to taking soca global at the prize giving ceremony for the Road March Title held at Diamond Motors, Richmond Street, Port-of-Spain. Montano won his seventh Road March Title this year with “Like A Boss” which played approximately 390 times Carnival Monday and Tuesday.

His other contender “Erupt” placed second while groovy monarch title holder Olatunji Yearwood’s “Ola” placed third. The car is valued at approximately $200,000.

Shaun Aleong, Diamond Motors Marketing Manager and Karega Mandela, Trinbago Unified Calypsonians’ Organisation (TUCO) PRO delivered remarks. Vibe CT105, Diamond Motors and TUCO, collaboratively presented Montano with the car.

Montano said his focus would be on creating global soca music. He announced during this year’s Carnival season that this year would be his last competing in the International Soca Monarch competition.

“One of my main goals is really making a soca music that could be more acceptable to the rest of the world.

A lot of what we sing about and produce is seasonal and is solely based on Carnival Day or the season. So we are trying to create soca music outside of that while still create music for the season,” he said.

Montano’s recent performances at international music festivals such as South by South West (SXSW) in, Austin, Texas , March this year and Coachella Music Festival, Indio, California has advanced his cause of taking soca global, he added. His focus, he said, would be placed on creating music, “to bring people together and showing people the way of love, unity and peace.”

To achieve this goal, Montano said, would require collaboration with international producers and writers such as Angela Hunte and Deputy and, “collaborating with a clear intent that we want music that would take over the main stream market yet still represent who we are, still have our foundation and the love and adoration of our people.”

Coachella and SXSW assured, he said, that soca music is reaching further and further. He said he met several producers and artistes at Coachella who showed interest in soca. At his recent performance at Kings Theatre, Brooklyn, he spoke with Barbadian superstar, Rihanna about Hollywood Carnival, he said. Montano smiled broadly as he received the car. He got in and honked the horn.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2015, 05:44:36 PM »

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2015, 08:28:00 AM »
The World Premiere Of "Bazodee" The Movie, Starring Machel Montano

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Dx0SbuFAgIk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Dx0SbuFAgIk</a>

* That lady sweet!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 12:03:00 PM by Socapro »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2015, 11:01:25 PM »

VIDEO ; https://www.facebook.com/CNC3Television/videos/10153658771882996/

MACHEL MONTANO AND CAST OF 'BAZODEE' ON 'THE MORNING BREW'

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2015, 02:29:06 PM »
If you're planning to watch Bazodee, avoid the today's Newsday review; it gives away the ending.  ??? >:(

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2015, 08:36:27 AM »

“Bazodee” leaves audience head over heels*

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20150926/features/8220bazodee8221-leaves-audience-head-over-heels

The self-proclaimed “Happiest Man Alive”, Machel Montano shared his mirth on the big screen finally, as he made his acting debut in the musical drama titled Bazodee, which premiered at MovieTowne during the trinidad + tobago film festival (ttff) this past week. The reigning Power Soca Monarch and Road March King leads an accomplished cast of locally and internationally-based actors through a 90-minute love story that's set in the midst of our annual Carnival celebration.

“All in all, this is a dream come true,” said Montano to the packed hall, just prior to the exclusive premiere. “It says to me and to all of us that you should never give up on your dreams – put your heart and soul into it and be patient, but be passionate and do it with love! The word 'Bazodee' means to feel dazed, light-headed, caught up in a magical moment where you forget everything else that's going on around you… Basically, you're head over heels in love! So I want us all to get lost in this magical moment for this is our love and I'm sure we would all agree that our greatest love is ah Carnival. So let's all go Bazodee, please enjoy this film and thank you.”

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2015, 02:10:58 PM »
Machel Montano performs live at Bahamas Junkanoo Carnival during the 2015 Monk Monté tour!

Get the Monk Monté album now on iTunes: http://bit.ly/1L6iGVj

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xPdUxm5rJp8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xPdUxm5rJp8</a>

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2016, 07:30:06 PM »
MACHEL MONTANO ON PARTNERSHIP WITH DIGICEL - FULL MORNING BREW INTERVIEW..

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PM_fnGP2C7c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PM_fnGP2C7c</a>
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 07:34:18 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2016, 02:32:55 PM »

UWI Awards Machel Bob Marley Status

http://triniscene.com/article/431

Trinidad and Tobago Soca Artiste, Machel Montano is among the 2016 honourees at the Annual Legacy Awards Gala of the American Foundation for The University of West Indies (AFUWI), a registered US charity. The New York City, black-tie event, carded for February 24, is AFUWI’s signature event. Now in its 19th year, proceeds from the Gala provide an average of 50 scholarships annually for students across The UWI’s four campuses.

The awards honour notable individuals from the US and Caribbean, all of whom represent high levels of achievement within their respective fields. Montano will receive The ‘Robert “Bob” Nesta Marley Award’, given to an individual/group for their contribution to society and to the advancement of arts and culture, transcending race, colour, creed and geographies; to unite people worldwide in a spirit that embodies the essence of the music and lyrics of Bob Marley. Previous recipients of the award have included Jimmy Cliff, Danny Glover and Spike Lee.

Other awardees at the event are  Dr Harold Freeman, CEO, President and Founder of the Harold P. Freeman Patient Navigation Institute in New York as well as Professor Emeritus of Surgery at Columbia University. He is receiving the ‘ AFUWI Lifetime Achievement Award’  a career exploring the causes of cancer and higher mortality rates among African Americans and reducing the race and income related disparities in health care.
Chief Information Officer at GE Healthcare Global Services, Daphne Jones, will receive the Caribbean ‘Luminary Award’. This award is given to individuals of Caribbean heritage who, through their efforts and contribution to community have been able to shine a global spotlight on issues impacting the Caribbean.

The President of the Jordan Brand, a division of Nike Inc., Larry Miller, is also of Caribbean heritage. He will be presented with the ‘Trailblazer Award’ given to deserving individuals recognised as pioneers in their respective fields.

Directors of the Phillip & Christine Gore Family Foundation, Phillip Gore and Christine Gore will both receive the ‘Vice-Chancellor’s Achievement Award’ for outstanding contributions to their organizations, companies and society while  Liquid Soul’s, CEO and Principal, Tirrell Whittley, will receive the AFUWI ‘Corporate Award’, in recognition of the company’s commitment to multiculturalism, inclusiveness, diversity and exemplary corporate citizenship.

Past awardees at this event include Wynton Marsalis, Colin Powell, Spike Lee, Maya Angelou, Denis O’Brien and Malcolm Gladwell. This year’s awards will be held under the auspices of Honorary Patron, Dr the Hon. Harry Belafonte, O.J.  Entertainer and activist, Danny Glover, serves as Honorary Gala chair.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2016, 08:14:34 AM »

Machel among honorees*

...at UWI fundraising gala in NY

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20160126/features/machel-among-honorees

Trinidad and Tobago soca artiste, Monk Monte (Machel Montano) is among the 2016 honourees at the Annual Legacy Awards Gala of the American Foundation for The University of West Indies (AFUWI), a registered US charity. The New York City, black-tie event, carded for February 24, is AFUWI’s signature event. Now in its 19th year, proceeds from the gala provide an average of 50 scholarships annually for students across The UWI’s four campuses.

The awards honour notable individuals from the US and Caribbean, all of whom represent high levels of achievement within their respective fields. Montano will receive The Robert “Bob” Nesta Marley Award, given to an individual/group for their contribution to society and to the advancement of arts and culture, transcending race, colour, creed and geographies; to unite people worldwide in a spirit that embodies the essence of the music and lyrics of Bob Marley. Previous recipients of the award have included Jimmy Cliff, Danny Glover, Judith Jamison, Spike Lee, and Jessye Norman.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2016, 08:22:16 AM »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2016, 09:50:28 AM »

Who remember?  :)

https://www.facebook.com/tntthrowbacks/videos/1650570208536335/
Yessss! I was playing this tune a couple weeks ago but throwback indeed :beermug:

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2016, 09:20:59 PM »

1]; } ?>