March 28, 2024, 03:01:16 AM

Author Topic: Bunji Garlin Thread  (Read 25116 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Bunji rocks ‘106 and Park’
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2014, 09:24:53 AM »
Bunji rocks ‘106 and Park’
By Leiselle Maraj Friday, May 2 2014 (T&T Newsday)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PU4eJYCmpJo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PU4eJYCmpJo</a>
Bunji's live performance of Differentology on BET's 106 & Park including interview

Host of BET’s 106 and Park, Bow Wow (Shad Moss), did his research before interviewing local artiste, Bunji Garlin, and his wife, Fay-Ann, on the show’s episode that aired yesterday, questioning the two about their boycott of the recently concluded Tobago Jazz Experience.

A little bit of freestyling, a little bit of wining and a lot of soca were on display on the popular American music video countdown show when Bunji (Ian Alvarez) and Fay-Ann made their much anticipated appearance.

It comes less than a week after the couple and their band, the Asylum Vikings abruptly cancelled their scheduled performance on April 25 during the festival that ran from April 19-27 at different venues across Tobago. The band refused to perform claiming they were poorly treated as not enough rooms were booked for its 18 members. The Tobago House of Assembly, organisers of the event, said attempts were made to secure additional rooms but by the time they were successful, the band had already left.

During the interview segment, Bow Wow questioned the soca couple about the incident and asked whether the jazz promoters issued an apology. Bunji put aside the incident stating, “An apology was put out, somewhat and in some form but we are not dwelling on that. That happened already, we are here now and we are dealing from this point onward.”

Trini eyes all over the world were glued to their televisions as Bunji made a brief appearance at the beginning of the show, which began at 6 pm local time, chanting “We Ready” with the show’s co-host, Keisha Chanté. The show’s DJ then played the intro to “Differentology” to get things started. The show focused first on Rita Ora, British singer, songwriter and actress who premiered a video, before making way for Bunji’s performance. Chanté, whose father is Trinidadian, made the intro for Bunji who spoke and sang in an undiluted Trini accent.

He took the stage with Fay-Ann in tow to the cheers of the audience members waving different Caribbean flags, most of which were Trinidad and Tobago’s. Decked in a red jacket and black jersey with jeans, he continued to work his magic with “Differentology”, the song that has won him much recognition around the world, particularly in the US market where he copped Soul Train and MTV music awards last year. The song was played in the opening minutes of an episode of hit US medical drama Grey’s Anatomy and was recently played during a NBA game.

With Fay-Ann as his “hype woman”, the “Viking” moved the crowd as if it were a Carnival fete, freestyling about his appearance on the show while the “Vi-Queen” gave them a taste of her waist.

After the performance, Bow Wow said the crowd was going crazy for the artiste, making way for both hosts to conduct a short interview. Bow Wow asked Bunji about the origins of his name, to which Bunji explained that it came while watching documentaries on bungee jumping. “I realised the further down you pulled the rope, the higher it goes on release and I applied it to my life. The more I am pulled down, when I’m released, I go higher.”

He was then asked about his hectic schedule earlier this year, performing nine full shows in one night. Bunji said he was accustomed to this pace, having performed for 15 years during Carnival seasons and it was easy because the band boasts of two frontline singers: him and his wife who he described as one of most dynamic female singers in Trinidad and Tobago.

When asked about their upcoming work, Fay-Ann mentioned she is working on her new album with Canadian producer Boy Wonder (Manuel Alejandro Ruiz) and Grammy award winning singer/songwriter Angela Hunte among others while they both spoke about upcoming performances at Summer Jam on June 1, Caribana, Labour Day in New York, in Belgium among other gigs.

The couple did not leave the audience empty handed but gifted copies of his 2013 CD featuring “Differentology” to each member of the crowd. Those who were not lucky enough to be in the live audience took to Twitter, Facebook and other social networking sites to proclaim their excitement. Among those were the man himself who tweeted, “Celebrate all you want but know that the road is very long. Now is when all need to be pushing. Every hand on deck. We are Soca.”
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 10:25:27 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bunji And Fayann Appear On Bet’s 106 & Park
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2014, 04:37:36 PM »
Represent Bunji, I like it :beermug:

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
BUNJI POSTS STATEMENT, SHUTS DOWN NEGATIVE COMMENTS
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2014, 09:36:22 PM »
BUNJI POSTS STATEMENT, SHUTS DOWN NEGATIVE COMMENTS
Boom Champions 94.1 FM

Many locals were very happy to see Bunji Garlin appear on BET’s 106 & Park, representing T&T!

And many took to social media to share the performance and interview.

Unfortunately, there have been a lot of negative comments concerning his wife’s appearance on the show.

Persons wondered why Fayann Lyons performed the song with her husband since it was his song, along with other issues.

However the Viking has answered all naysayers with a simple statement posted on their facebook page.

“I would just like to take this opportunity to thank MY wife, my life partner, my support and also my fellow frontline singer, Mrs. Fay-Ann Lyons-Alvarez, for being at my side for the last 10 years and motivating me to see and be MY best. Since 2004 you have shown me that when you truly care about someone you don’t leave them to their own devices, you encourage positive growth and maturity. From our dating in 2004, to a very enjoyable and dynamic marriage in 2006, to a great life together now and forever, I thank you for being in my life.”

Nice Bunji!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bunji And Fayann Appear On Bet’s 106 & Park
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2014, 10:21:28 PM »
Not much of a Bunji fan (anymore)... can't stand Fay Ann (that much).  That being said the criticism is nonsense... now that I've seen the clip.  I understand the criticism generally, but in this particular instance it off base.  They both represented very well  :beermug:

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bunji Garlin Signs Deal With RCA Records In Conjunction With VP Records!
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2014, 07:02:31 PM »
MAY 16 2014
Bunji Garlin Signs Deal With RCA Records In Conjunction With VP Records For His International Hit "Differentology (Ready For The Road)"

"Garlin is on the verge of the elusive crossover success....merging of soca with EDM... expanding the future of Trinidad's homespun genre." -The FADER

[May 16, 2014 - New York, NY] Trinidadian soca vocalist Bunji Garlin has inked an exclusive deal with RCA Records in conjunction with VP Records. The two labels will join forces to promote Bunji Garlin's international smash hit "Differentology (Ready For The Road)."

Garlin is thrilled to partner with RCA. "It's an honor to be considered to be a part of this entity and I look forward to all the possibilities, ups and downs that comes with it. Our whole camp is excited about this development and would hope that it will be encouraging to many who have dreams and have been constantly told that it can't happen for or to them," he states.

VP Records CEO Chris Chin comments: "The partnership represents another monumental step forward for Caribbean music. 'Differentology' is a song that has proven itself well beyond the core audience and connected to so many through mainstream radio airplay, placements on hit TV programs, and features at major sporting events. We are now primed for RCA to propel this track to the masses."

"Bunji and the team at VP have laid an incredibly successful foundation, fueled by great music, hard work and determination. This is an exciting time for all involved as RCA and VP collectively navigate Bunji to the next level of his career," states Peter Edge, CEO of RCA Records.

Known to many as the "Viking of Soca," Bunji Garlin has taken the genre to new heights. His explosive single "Differentology (Ready For The Road)," which was remixed by Major Lazer as well as Busta Rhymes, is currently a massive hit in North America more than a year after its release in the Caribbean. In 2013, the single received a Soul Train Award win for Best International Performance, was featured on ABC's Grey's Anatomy, won NYC's HOT 97 FM's Battle of The Beats competition and chosen by NPR as one of the year's favorite anthems, as well as MTV Iggy's Song of the Year.

On May 1, 2014, Bunji Garlin made his national TV debut on BET's 106 & Park to perform his hit. He will return to New York City area on June 1, 2014 to take over the main stage on Hot 97's Summer Jam concert, followed by a day of promotional activities for "Differentology (Ready For The Road)."

Born Ian Alvarez, Bunji Garlin is known for his high-energy stage shows, lyrical confidence and eloquence. The Trinidadian artist and international soca royalty is both a composer and performer of soca and ragga soca. The latter is a blend of soca with dancehall music that he made his own during the start of his career in the late '90s. He has won the "Ragga Soca Monarch" competition in both 2000 and 2001, the Young King title in 2001, the coveted title of International Soca Monarch in 2002 and then reclaimed this title for three more years. Bunji Garlin recently unleashed his new EP Carnival Tabanca and will release his upcoming studio album later this year. His anticipated release will be his first full-length release since 2007's Global (VP Records).

Purchase "Differentology (Ready For The Road)" now on Soca Gold: 2013: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/soca-gold-2013/id633775218

Watch the official video for "Differentology (Ready For The Road)" (directed by Nigel Thompson):
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/u5g4EsftP8I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/u5g4EsftP8I</a>

Purchase Major Lazer remix of "Differentology (Ready For The Road)" on Strictly The Best Vol. 49:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/strictly-the-best-vol.-49/id766579979

Watch the video for Major Lazer remix of "Differentology (Ready For The Road)":
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8HgpnX6QUQY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8HgpnX6QUQY</a>

" 'Differentology' is the perfect track... the song of the year not just for Trinidad but the whole Caribbean....with its massive builds, Spanish guitar, and celebratory lyrics, it could very well become your festival anthem."- ROLLING STONE

"Soca's new leader...putting a uniquely Caribbean sound firmly on the map."-BET

"[Differentology's] complex construction and electronic elements prove that Garlin is serious about taking soca forward."- NPR

www.twitter.com/BunjiGarlin

www.facebook.com/Bunji.Asylum

www.instagram.com/BunjiGarlin
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 07:40:57 PM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Congrats. Go Brave!!!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bunji to release new CD this week
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2014, 04:54:01 AM »
Bunji to release new CD this week
Story Created: Aug 8, 2014 at 11:21 PM ECT

VP Records and RCA Records will on Tuesday release the much anticipated? Differentology album from local artiste and recent Soul Train Award winner, Bunji Garlin (Ian Alvarez). The collaborative major label release comes at the height of Bunji’s international success and recent breakthrough into the US mainstream market - and approximately 14 years after his entry into the world of soca music.

Formerly a practitioner of the dancehall style of “chanting”, Bunji adapted his oratory prowess into the soca genre over time and ushered in a new generation of soca performers who sang about more than just flags, rags, jumping and waving.

From impactful and insightful commentary on social issues such as rape, tribalism, the ins and outs of impoverished “ghetto” communities, festive uptown anthems and powerful calls to action, Bunji has solidified his presence throughout the Caribbean Diaspora with an extensive catalogue of annual hit songs and a decidedly lyrical and spontaneous performance aesthetic.

With the release of “Differentology” in 2012, Bunji opened new doors and markets to the sound of soca and the result has been a constant stream of accolades, nominations, awards and now a collaborative major label release of the album that carries the title of the hit selection.

Express reporter, Nigel Telesford caught up with Bunji last week, in the midst of his hectic touring schedule and a promotional campaign for the album, which will occupy his every waking minute:

NT: How are you feeling on the eve of the release of the Differentology album?
BG: I’m feeling great. I reflect on the work that everyone put in on this album and the promotional runs and all that and feel great. Brian and Edwin from VP really pushed and Fay was just a godsend in getting a lot of things in gear, so the whole picture is perfect. My thoughts are constantly “a major label is actually about to put out a soca album”… More so a Trinidadian Album… Lol…
NT: Yes, it’s an amazing achievement for someone who was once criticised for sounding “too Jamaican”. Tell us about the songs on the album… Who chose them? Who arranged the order of the songs?
BG: The songs are mostly anthems in one place or a next. These were selected to continue the momentum inward to new international audiences as they are paying attention closely because to some it’s a fresh sound now knowing we’ve been here since the beginning. The team at VP I think chose the songs out of the many and arranged the order.
NT: Would you be filming any more music videos for songs on the album?
BG: I do hope to do a few videos for the other songs on the album once time permits but our tour schedule is crazy again so we’ll have to see.
NT: Compared to your many other albums, what are your thoughts on the music you have featured on Differentology?
BG: Compared to my other albums this one is geared for territories beyond our shores. This one is about export. We have given home-base everything over the years, now it’s time to give the world a piece.
NT: How would you describe the last 20 – 24 months?
BG: Hectic, promising, challenging, fulfilling…
NT: “Differentology” is unlike any other song you have ever made, how much convincing did it take to get you to actually write and record that song? When you first heard the beat, what came to your mind?
BG: It took me no convincing of any sort to do “Differentology” – as it wasn’t a case of someone writing it, then bringing it to me. We were in studio and wilding out and everything just happened in a matter of about 20 minutes. Pure organic vibe. Exactly the way the song starts lyrically is what came as soon as I heard the first chord…
NT: Wow! That’s amazing…A lot of artistes have found success with the independent route recently, are you happy with the promotion you have received from the labels that you’re working with?
BG: Yes. The promotion was and is on point. Sometimes I have to ask them to allow a bit of time so that our family can get some stuff done. It’s just on overdrive at times and it’s a blessing when that happens.
NT: Where have you performed in the last three months?
BG: I think everywhere besides Asia and Africa… Lol…
NT: Given the additional/increased exposure, have you seen a different kind/level of response from the audiences you have faced in the last three months?
BG: I think as I open up more beyond music, eg interviews and such – there has been a dramatic increase of those who would come and genuinely pour their hearts out in terms of my success, as though it encourages them. The screams and crowd reactions are constant, so I pay that no mind, but when lives are affected positively by action that’s when I sit up and take note.
NT: Your album release comes in the midst of a series of West Indian festivals – Crop Over in Barbados, Caribana in Canada, NottingHill Carnival in London and NY Labor Day celebrations… Was this a strategic plan? Or a coincidence of dates?
BG: The target time was always around July/August. Everyone is in a festive mood at that time so it’s easier to tap into the mind when it is relaxed. Buying music takes focus as well so waiting till focus doesn’t have to be split too much, works. This is just one of the sciences in music consumer affairs.
NT: Have you started recording for Carnival 2015 yet?
BG: I won’t start 2015 sessions till maybe November. I work quick and I don’t put pen to paper as everything is made in my head. When I go into studio now, it’s about business as opposed to years ago it was a relaxant.
NT: Will your approach to the T&T Carnival season change next year? And if so, how exactly?
BG: I don’t know what my approach will be for Carnival 2015. Now is too early to determine that. I know I will maintain being different to everyone else. I observe then strike.
NT: If you could speak to all of the people in America on the eve of your album release, what would you tell them to convince them to buy it?
BG: Be the first to try something new again.
NT: What is your message to the world on the Differentology album?
BG: My message to the world basically without actually saying it is that “WE EXIST”. We have been here being denied by the world and by our own and we will not just fade away in the dust. We are a people with an art that exists for a reason and if it takes 10,000 years for all to admit that we have a place here then we will be heard then.
NT: We saw you embrace many of your old friends and collaborators at your “Birthday Bash” held last month at Woodford Café, Chaguanas and it seems like all these developments have served to only make you MORE HUMBLE and forgiving… Tell us how Ian Alvarez has been affected by Bunji Garlin’s success
BG: What I learned from all this is that it all goes away in time. One way or the next. It is an empty vessel that accommodates anyone that can fit into it therefore fame and celebrity is owned by none but is fuelled by all.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 04:20:24 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bunji Garlin - Freestyle on Dancehall with Robbo Ranx
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2014, 05:01:56 AM »
Bunji Garlin - Freestyle on Dancehall with Robbo Ranx
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OGPwWx3jrp0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OGPwWx3jrp0</a>

Bunji Garlin returns to BBC Radio 1Xtra with this exclusive freestyle for Dancehall with Robbo Ranx.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 05:08:55 AM by Socapro »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bunji Garlin Says Why Should I Collab With Machel??
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2014, 09:54:15 AM »
Bunji Garlin Says Why Should I Collab With Machel??

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BOpwHFvYhdA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BOpwHFvYhdA</a>
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:36:34 PM by Socapro »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bunji Garlin’s ‘Differentology’ Album Release
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2014, 12:24:50 PM »
Bunji Garlin’s ‘Differentology’ Album Release

The “Viking of Soca” also known as Bunji Garlin is, set to release his newest album entitled Differentology via a joint venture between VP Records and RCA Records.

Bunji Garlin, known for his high-energy stage shows, lyrical confidence and eloquence, is both a composer and performer of soca and ragga soca. The latter is a blend of soca with dancehall music that he made his own during the start of his career in the late ‘90s. He has won the “Ragga Soca Monarch” competition in both 2000 and 2001, the Young King title in 2001, the coveted title of International Soca Monarch in 2002 and then reclaimed this title for three more years. Throughout his career, Garlin has released eight albums independently and two additional albums on VP Records, including Revelation (2002) and Global (2007).

The new album’s title track, “Differentology”, produced by Sheriff Mumbles in 2012, received critical praise across the board (2013 Soul Train Award and MTV Iggy Song of the Year), heavy rotation on Urban and Top 40 radio, exposure on ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy show and airplay at NBA arenas (Barclays Center & Air Canada Centre) as well as NYC’s Golden Gloves Boxing tournament. Along with the original song, Major Lazer graces fans with a remix, which is also featured on the album and features an EDM fusion into the song.

Many of the album’s songs are full of dancehall and hip-hop influences, including “Touchless” and “Gi Dem Dey” (both produced by Trinidad’s Klase Gonzales of 1st Klase Productions). Garlin delivers his Trini-accented flow over the hip-hop track “West Indian Jungle” produced by Jason Farmer (whose credits include hits with Keyshia Cole, Estelle and Rihanna) and teams up with rapper A$AP Ferg on the Doc & Jes trap remix of his 2014 song “Truck On D Road.”

NPR, who describes his new album Differentology as “exceedingly danceable beats that fuse the island’s irresistible calypso with EDM and hip-hop, as well as the traditional East India bhangra,” are currently giving fans a chance to stream the album in its entirety for this week only.
You can check out the link right here at NPR First Listen HERE!

1.) Red Light District
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KIf0K8UZ0k0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KIf0K8UZ0k0</a>
2.) Carnival Tabanca
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CiYTfkvdtNg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CiYTfkvdtNg</a>
3.) Savage
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2XKjLOMINEY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2XKjLOMINEY</a>
4.) Differentology
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0FWHavH6IQw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0FWHavH6IQw</a>
5.) Truck On D Road (Remix) feat. A$AP Ferg
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_x3ZmYvBKeg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_x3ZmYvBKeg</a>
6.) West Indian Jungle
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HfSM79AQxkQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HfSM79AQxkQ</a>
7.) Touchless
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/co2Uqkij2w0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/co2Uqkij2w0</a>
8.) Differentology (Major Lazer Remix)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gOXykxHDuqQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gOXykxHDuqQ</a>
9.) Carnival Tabanca (Viking Remix)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6KpXNdqHTME" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6KpXNdqHTME</a>
10.) All O’Dem
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PzI_JdNC528" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PzI_JdNC528</a>
11.) Stages
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YU32JQJwuDM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YU32JQJwuDM</a>
12.) Over the Hills
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-oZH1Q4FZMw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-oZH1Q4FZMw</a>
13.) Gi Dem Dey

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wkELTRqVHu0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wkELTRqVHu0</a>
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:33:58 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
First Listen: Bunji Garlin, 'Differentology'
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2014, 01:09:00 PM »
First Listen: Bunji Garlin, 'Differentology'
by Natalie Weiner
August 03, 201411:03 PM ET

For an artist who trades almost exclusively in music about one of the world's biggest parties, Bunji Garlin (a.k.a. Ian Antonio Alvarez) is surprisingly serious about his craft. "When I'm onstage, I'm here to stand my ground, and you're going to take note of what I am here to do musically," he said in a December interview with NPR. From his name (equally inspired by bungee cords and machine guns), to his entourage (he tours with his wife, soca star Fay-Ann Lyons, and their daughter), little about Garlin fits expectations. His seriousness makes more sense, though, when you find out that the Differentology is the soca singer's 11th album, and that after 16 years in the business, Garlin is finally poised for crossover success.

To understand soca, you have to first understand Carnival. Specifically, carnival season in the Caribbean. Held annually in March, the legendary festivities of Trinidad & Tobago (as well as almost all the other islands) require a soundtrack lively enough to inspire days of constant dancing and revelling — something new, but still familiar enough to appeal to all ages. Thus, out of the fusion of Caribbean calypso and East Indian music and instruments, soca was born. Today, each carnival season is accompanied by an onslaught of tracks by artists from around the islands, all vying for the Soca Monarch crown (which Garlin has won four times).

Since coming onto the scene in 1999 with "Send Dem Riddim Crazy" (a carnival ode over an Aaliyah-inspired beat), Garlin has been consistently popular in his native Trinidad. It was the slow-burning success of 2013 Carnival single (and title track of this album) "Differentology," that's brought him an American audience. The track is, as the title would suggest, a different take on the soca sound — slightly darker, with an instrumental feature for Trini guitarist Nigel Rojas — but with a refrain ("We're ready") that sounds as natural next to international pop hits as it does "on di road." By last fall, "Differentology" was on urban radio around the country. Since then Busta Rhymes (who is Jamaican) and Major Lazer have remixed it, it's appeared on Grey's Anatomy, and was even one of NPR's favorite 100 songs of 2013.

The self-professed Soca Viking isn't resting on "Differentology"'s laurels: On "Over The Hills," he describes wanting to "see my music rise, rise, rise"; on "All O' Dem," he envisions soca music soundtracking both black tie and Mai Tai parties. His crossover ambitions are backed by exceedingly danceable beats that fuse the island's irresistible calypso with EDM and hip-hop, as well as the traditional East Indian bhangra. A$AP Ferg, also of Trinidadian lineage, adds his trademark flow to the "Truck On D Road" remix (as he previously did with "Carnival Tabanca").

Ultimately, the album's first line is its mission statement: "Somebody give me a riddim to activate the waistline on the feminine gender, now please," Bunji intones. Thankfully, someone complied.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bunji Garlin Says Why Should I Collab With Machel??
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2014, 04:14:06 PM »
Nice collection!. Go for it  Bunji!!!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bunji Garlin Says Why Should I Collab With Machel??
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2014, 07:12:18 PM »
Bunji Garlin & Fayann Lyons Tell Us Which Countries Have The Most Vibes
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wMOki4krVGc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wMOki4krVGc</a>

DJ Triple M for UK Soca Scene managed to catch-up with the ViKing and ViQueen of soca, Bunji Garlin and Fayann Lyons during there recent wirlwind tour of Europe. Many topics where covered in a short space of time.

To see pictures from their Viking 15 show follow this link http://bit.ly/wm-viking15

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bunji Garlin Breaks Out: On the Road With America's First Soca Pop Star
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2014, 02:58:08 PM »
Nice article.
This link was the most interesting to me.

https://soundcloud.com/jusnow/truck-on-d-road-voice-memo
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2014, 09:43:22 PM »
Just like dat America fuhget Kevin Little 10 years ago, lol

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2014, 09:54:48 PM »

Who?   :devil:
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2014, 10:48:34 AM »

Who?   :devil:

De fella who used tuh sell coconut on de beach nah  :D

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2014, 11:13:02 AM »
Bunji Garlin Breaks Out: On the Road With America's First Soca Pop Star
By Nick Murray | September 18, 2014 | Rolling Stone

Trinidad's hero takes us aboard his float in New York's West Indian Day Parade and tells us the long story behind his massive success

New York's West Indian Day Parade has marked the city's Labor Day weekend for decades, and this year, the festivities begin at 9 p.m. on a Wednesday night. "They say this is the last weekend of summer!" yells local radio celeb DJ Prostyle, doing his best to make everyone aboard the VP Records' "Carnival Gold" yacht party forget that Thursday and Friday are technically still work days.

Sailing down the Hudson River, Prostyle and his 105.1 colleagues DJ Self and DJ Norie spin 2014's biggest Caribbean hits: springy dancehall from Jamaica and uptempo soca from Trinidad. Under normal circumstances, this music would create a frenzy. Tonight, however, the boat's main hall is nearly empty. After all, who wants to listen to soca when one of the genre's biggest stars — Bunji Garlin, the man who intends to spread this music all the way across the globe — is outside shaking hands and posing for pictures?

An hour later, however, he and his fans are back inside, and the whirlwind begins. Bunji gets behind the mic and plays his latest smash, "Truck on D Road," changing the words to refer to a "boat on the sea." He enters into a genuine freestyle that describes the vessel and raises the room's energy level. He drops "Differentology," the breakthrough track that has appeared everywhere from sporting events to Grey's Anatomy, from Port of Spain fêtes to global EDM festivals, and when he reaches the song's chorus, a resounding "We ready for the road," the sing-along is so loud that it can almost be heard back on shore.

Born in 1978, Garlin (government name: Ian Alvarez) grew up in Arima, one of Trinidad's larger towns and the birthplace of calypso legend Lord Kitchener. In the decade before Garlin entered this world, another calypso legend, the six-foot-four-inch Lord Shorty, created soca by making the older genre even more danceable, adding Indian rhythms and instruments, a little bit of Haitian cadence and – depending on whom you ask – some American R&B. Over time, the music became faster and harder, and its lyrics began to incorporate more party-starting call-and-response. It now rules the island – especially during its pre-Lenten Carnival celebrations – and tracks like Arrow's "Hot, Hot, Hot," Kevin Lyttle's "Turn Me On" and, yes, the Baha Men's "Who Let the Dogs Out" (originally a hit for Anselm Douglas) have reached the American mainstream.

Garlin, though, like almost all Trinidadians, has long listened to much more than just soca. Sitting in a Midtown Manhattan office, taking care of a little work before returning to Labor Day celebrations, the singer cites a list of early influences that includes – but somehow is not limited to – "latin, zouk, reggae, soca, calypso, pop, drum-and-bass, techno and house."

"Because of where we are situated in the chain of islands, and because the way our society is built, I was exposed to all kinds of music," he says. "At that time, American Top 40 was a big part of Trinidad and Tobago society, so I gravitated to anything that was on Casey Kasem's show."

Soon, dancehall replaced American Top 40, and Garlin ditched Kasem for artists like Yellowman and Wayne Smith. "Every day going to school was like a party on the bus," he remembers. "In Trinidad we called them Maxi-taxis, and the drivers would have soundsystems in their vehicles, as loud as if they were going to a car show. Because of the way dancehall was engineered, the sound quality was more suitable for a soundsystem like that — especially opposed to soca."

When Garlin finally made it to school, he and his friends would freestyle back and forth, reworking the Jamaican themes and flows that they had heard on the Maxis. After graduation, he kept clashing, engaging in what he describes as "lyrical exchanges of war" and developing his skills against artists who were doing more than killing time between class. After producer Daryl Braxton suggested that he add a little soca back to his style, he made his first professional recording, scoring his professional hit with the frenetic, Aaliyah-interpolating "Send Dem Riddim Crazy."

The record has become a classic, holding its own on many of the compilations that define the era, and it was received the way classics are so often received: "The initial reaction was close to blasphemy," says Garlin. The singer had brought his style closer to soca, but many felt it still wasn't close enough – even though his intense lyricism was a throwback to Lord Shorty's original vision for the genre and Sixties bands like Byron Lee and the Dragonaires had previously canonized Jamaican-Trini fusion, the new wave of so-called "ragga soca" was said to be tainting the country's music.

"It took some hip-hop elements, it took dancehall, it even took some EDM – whatever songs were hot at the time, they'd just take the melody and flip it," explains Walshy Fire, a Jamaican DJ whose Miami radio show helped Garlin's early music reach America. "Jamaica was the most dominant island in the region, and dancehall and reggae were the most dominant sound. The people who would have been not happy with ragga soca would have thought soca should stay pure or authentic."

Garlin, however, offers his own interpretation of soca authenticity – and a cutting defense of the open-mindedness that has central to his career: "Soca was itself not an original music, it was a merge of the two cultural backgrounds from the indentured laborers and the slaves. So ragga soca was just doing what soca had already done."

Ragga soca, it turned out, wouldn't survive past the early-Aughts, but 15 years after releasing his first single, Bunji Garlin continues to get bigger and bigger. On the Friday after the yacht party, he performs alongside Beenie Man and Shabba Ranks at Hot 97's annual On Da Reggae Tip concert. From there, he flies to Texas, joining artists like Skrillex, Diplo and Dillon Francis for two dates with the EDM-centric Mad Decent Block Party; and on Sunday night, he returns to join his wife, a fellow soca star named Fay Ann Lyons, at Hot 97 DJ Mister Cee's annual 5 Alarm Blaze. The West Indian Day Parade, the weekend's main event, starts early the following morning.

As ragga soca began to wane in the early-to-mid 2000s, Garlin continued to move his style closer to the genre's mainstream, winning the annual Soca Monarch competition – a three-round attempt to determine Trinidad's hottest star – four times in a seven years. Where tunes like "Soca Bhangra" experimented with more Indian elements (a style now known as "chutney soca"), "Warrior Cry" and "Blaze De Fire" became global anthems, the singer's aggression and lyricism setting him apart from other artists.

"That's where the production started to get really good and the topics started to vary," says Walshy. "'Warrior Cry,' that could be a political song, it could be a rally song for a team, it could be something that you listened to during carnival time – it was one of the most amazing songs I'd ever heard."

Still, the hit that defined Garlin's career wouldn't come until 2012. Titled "Differentology," the song begins as j'ouvert – the overnight celebration that precedes carnival – ends: The sun is raising up, the crowd is waking up and the party still goes on. While the verses describe the scene, minor chords, hand claps and flamenco guitar build a tension that won't be released until the song's massive hook, that simple, sustained "We ready for the road" bellowed over rave-suited synth stabs.

"Those minor keys are what carnival is based on," says Lazabeam, the Trini half of trans-Atlantic production duo (and frequent Bunji collaborators) Jus Now, discussing the track's greatness. "What makes our carnival different from the Roman-style carnival, it was brought out of an uprising: The streets of Port of Spain were burning, and out of that came j'ouvert. It's a very euphoric kind of time, but to be frank the music is darker at the time, and it tends to have a realer edge to it."

Not coincidentally, those minor keys also bring "Differentology" in line with the sort of global dance anthems heard on the main stage of festivals like Tomorrowland and Electric Daisy Carnival. From the disco hi-hats of Eighties hits like Ras Isley's "Spring Garden on Fire" through Machel Montano's 1995 Chicago house-influenced "Come Dig It" and the club mix of Nigel & Marvin's crossover "Follow da Leader," soca has always rubbed shoulders with outside dance music, but now, that influence is stronger than ever.

Garlin, ever at the forefront, explains it thusly: "Some of the soca songs started borrowing synths from EDM. At the same time EDM was borrowing some bass lines and stuff from dancehall. Then hip-hop was borrowing synths from EDM, and dancehall was borrowing from hip-hop. So everyone basically kind of started mirroring each other, so the whole world of music started to become a more palatable place."

In this new, more palatable world, "Differentology" was an almost immediate hit. "That song was dropped on November 7th, 2012," recalls Garlin, "Three days later, it was playing on every radio station throughout the country. Four days later, I was performing the song, and people were singing it word-for-word."

After dominating the Caribbean, the record got its U.S. break when aforementioned Hot 97 DJ Mister Cee entered it into the station's "Battle of the Beats," where it defeated competition by artists like Eminem and DJ Khaled five nights in a row, earning a slot in regular rotation. With that story, VP was able to push the record north through Hartford and Boston and down the coast to Atlanta and Miami.

"I've been working in this business for 20 years, and this is one of the most unique records I've ever come across," says Brian Greenspoon, VP's senior director of marketing.

"Normally when a soca song comes out, the West Indian community kind of leaves the song on its own strength and lets it die out on its own," says Garlin. "Here you had people from all over the West Indies, and it seems as though they were proud of the song. It seemed like it represented them in a different way, and they were not ashamed to sing it."

The song's tense build-up, heightened by a repetition of the phrase "we ready," helped make it a staple at several pro sports arenas and the New York Golden Gloves tournament. Eventually it got the ultimate American seal of approval: A group of Long Island teenagers used it as the soundtrack to their airport flash mob.

Meanwhile, Major Lazer, an open-eared DJ trio that includes Jillionaire (a native Trinidadian who has known Garlin for over a decade), Diplo (the head of taste-making indie label Mad Decent) and Walshy Fire, had taken to playing "Differentology" in their live sets, and eventually, they decided to put together a remix. "One of the guys involved with it, Jarrod Faria, he hit me up a long way out and was like, 'We've got this song that's doing really well in Trinidad right now, and it's really different,'" remembers Jillionaire. "Around the same time I played it for Wes [Diplo] and he was like 'We should definitely do something with this.'"

After changing the drums, removing the guitar and adding the sort of wooshes and drops that play well at large EDM festivals, the group introduced their edit during a set at Coachella, not only bringing Garlin to a new American audience but endearing their own project to previously hesitant Caribbeans.

"If you ask Diplo, he'll tell you: Nobody would come to the shows," says Walshy. "They'd be in little clubs with 10 fans, and everybody else would be like, 'What the hell is going on?' The last two years, maybe year-and-a-half, is when it all changed. Coachella was the first time I think that Caribbeans began to see what Major Lazer was doing, as far as representing the Caribbean and representing the music that came out of the Caribbean. Somebody from Trinidad watched and then sent it to everyone from Trinidad, and that's when it blew up."

Following this success, Garlin wanted to make an album that could play to all audiences. "The songs in themselves carry a blend of universal elements, so that anywhere it plays, it automatically could fit between any genre or two," says the singer, insisting on using the word "include" rather than the phrase "cross over." "As human beings, you kind of fear what you don’t understand – it may make you look this way, it may make you think this way, whatever. I believe this album breaks all those barriers."

Whether or not that proves to be true, Differentology embraces life like few LPs in recent memory. On one representative track, the euphoric, carefree "All O'Dem," the singer documents his plan to attend every party of the year, from uptown to downtown, mai tai to black tie. Even the one supposed bummer, "Carnival Tabanca," named for the depression that sets in after carnival ends, finds the party palimpsests that exist under the surface of normal life: "Every time I hear a police siren I'm thinking it's escort/Coming to take me to the next venue so my performance will not be short." There's even an EDM remix.

That EDM sound is never better integrated into Garlin's soca than on "Truck on D Road," his biggest hit of 2014. Produced by Jus Now, the song combines crisp drums that shift between four-on-the-floor house and syncopated dembow, heavily processed trombone blasts and a synth line that ingeniously mimics the sound of Trini steel pans.

"Bunji's an appreciator of all styles of music, but he understands why it's important to include the traditional elements of Trinidadian music," says Lazabeam, who outside of the music world is better known as Keshav Chandradath Singh. "We're in constant communication. We're always working on songs, sending ideas back and forth, utilizing the technology as much as possible. He sends us voicemails, and he'll mouth the whole beat."

"He has impeccable taste," says Greenspoon. "He is just on top of all music trends that are happening right now – not just in the Caribbean but in the world in general. He has an ability to see what's working best in all cultures and communicate that effectively through his music."

Mister Cee's 5 Alarm Blaze keeps Bunji up until nearly five in the morning. Three hours later, he wakes and heads East New York, where a team of a builders has been working overnight to prepare a flatbed truck that will carry him, A$AP Ferg, Kranium, "Rompin' Shop" dancehall singer Spice, local radio host DJ Norie and two dozen fans, DJs and assistants down Brooklyn's Eastern Parkway, the site of the weekend-closing West Indian Day Parade.

"He works harder than any artist I've ever seen," says Greenspoon, who's sitting with the singer behind the tinted windows of a black Suburban, attempting to get some rest before hitting the road. "When he's at Trinidad carnival, he'll do a dozen shows in a night – just location to location until the sun comes up."

When we finally board, the truck is so covered with speakers – the system's bass levels all the way up and treble all the way down – that many of those who aren't standing behind DJ equipment end up dancing on top of them, grabbing a two-by-four for occasional support. "You think there's gonna be a lot of people out there?" asks Ferg, a Harlem rapper who jumped on a "Truck on D Road" trap remix after visiting Trinidad earlier in the year.

Sure enough, every one of the route's 15 long blocks is filled with revelers: Even standing atop the tallest stack of speakers – the same ones where Spice will later attempt a daredevil, 20-feet-in-the-air toe-touch – the crowd stretches past the horizon. All down the road, people walk alongside the truck, grinding when DJ Norie plays dancehall and breaking out into a mass schmoney dance when he plays – at multiple points – local rapper Bobby Shmurda.

When Bunji performs the energy doubles. Standing on a giant generator and hanging out the side, he tries another freestyle, stringing together the names of the islands and a few bars about the size of his truck, but again, it's "Differentology" that makes the place go mad. This time, the "ready for the road" call is especially appropriate, and the crowd yells the words so loud that you wonder if they can be heard all the way back in the Hudson River.

Not long after he finishes this short set, however, the singer disappears, hopping off the truck due to a frustrating combination of technical issues and pure exhaustion. On the Parkway, he wades through the crowd and rides off to the Queens hotel room where he begins preparing for the eight-hour flight home.

And the next morning, when Bunji finally arrives back Trinidad, does the hardest working man in soca take a much-deserved day off? Relax in the mountains with Fay Ann and their one daughter? Open up his diary and reflect on the long journey from dancehall-pumping Maxi-taxis to soca-funded jumbo jets?

"As soon as we touched down, it was straight to work, straight to office," he says, later in the week. "The whole carnival momentum is already in the air here – promoters are already putting their bookings in place."

Come October, he'll begin working on the songs that will rule the 2015 season.

"I don't like to make music now for six months later," he admits. "What I do is I wait for that moment. Then I catch it and go."

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Bunji: No duet Machel
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2014, 06:44:42 AM »
Bunji: No duet Machel
By CAROL MATROO
December 24 2014

There will be no collaboration between soca superstars Ian “Bunji Garlin” Alvarez and Machel Montano, at least not in the near future.

This according to a source, who said Machel had been trying to entice Bunji to do a collaboration with him.

“Machel has been trying for the last year or two, since Bunji’s ‘Differentology’ to do a collaboration with him,” the source said.

The recent Soul Train Award winners met on stage during the “Sunset Festival” at Chaguaramas, last Sunday as Bunji was performing.

The source said it was not part of the show.

It was suggested that Bunji and Machel had agreed to collaborate on a new song, but the source said Bunji said this would not happen since he was not contacted.

“Bunji has maintained that while a collaboration between him and Machel was not impossible, he (Bunji) has not been formally contacted. Machel has never called him. Bunji was like if you want to do something call me and let’s do something, but he never called personally,” the source said.

The source said there was no official meeting between Bunji and Machel.

“There was no arbitration. Machel went on stage and said the people had spoken. He maintains that he and Machel had not spoken

“Bunji has maintained that you call me and we would negotiate, not try and send a video to the public. That was his stance. Let us not do this in the public space .Why don’t you call me and we can discuss this,” the source said.

The source said all Bunji wanted was a one- on-one between them.

Machel took the next serious step to draw “Garlin, the Girls Dem Darling” to his end. He even took to Instagram on Monday night where he posted, “What’s the next step??Sounds like the people have spoken.”

Bunji replied: “The people have spoken...but we have not. What’s the next step?” Bunji stated that making a play for a collaboration did not sit well with him without proper discourse.

Machel responded that he was ready to speak. “We’ve reached out in every possible way all in good faith and in the name of unity for soca and the Caribbean people that love it...I thought last night made a lot of sense and it was very organic, and correct me if I’m wrong, but I think people loved it,” Montano posted, referring to the performance the night before.

However, Bunji was adamant that this discussion was to be in a private arena.

“Let us NOT engage the public in this...the public supposed to be after not before..”

Machel’s response was a humble one.

“I humbly await your instructions on the next step. When you decide where and when and how you gonna let me know where and when. I am there in peace and love and give thanks.”

When contacted yesterday, Machel said he was having lunch with his staff and “please understand.” Efforts to contact Bunji were unsuccessful.

Also on his post, Machel said he has tried several times to get Bunji to work with him.

“I’ve reached out to Bunji maybe four times this year alone. I asked him to come to Machel Monday. I asked him to let us show the public, because people feel if Bunji win an award they must put Machel down and put Bunji up. We always want to shoot down somebody.

I have been here for 30 years and many men will come and many men will go. I will always be here. My name is already set. I am not about me. I am not about fame. I am about these young people. I have helped make Patrice Roberts, Farmer Nappy, Zan, Umi Marcano, you name them, Fireball. I have helped everybody I have come in touch with,” he wrote.

“I am always looking for what is best for this country, what is best for this culture. It is time for Bunji Garlin to step up, sing with Machel, put the differences aside. We in Soca Monarch, we throwing picong, that is water under the bridge.”

Both men have won the Soca Monarch four times.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bunji: No duet Machel
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2014, 10:14:50 AM »
Saw this unfold on social media.

I'm a fan of both Bunji and Machel and have mutual respect for each. But I must admit..
- Bunji seems to be trying 'too hard' to be different with the direction he's taking with the music. Now it can be argued that "different" is what made him.
- since his marriage (well at least the past 2 years), we've seen a shift in his overall attitude (almost comes off a little egotistic)

I'v had the opportunity to speak with both parties in the past and they have been very gracious and humble.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2014, 10:29:03 AM »
Bunji seems to still be licking his wounds from the picong he got from Machel live on stage at the ISM in 2011 and which Bunji had no reply for and soon after that was when Bunji cut off his locks (some say ordered by Fay-Ann) and shifted the direction of his music away from the power soca fire songs.
Before that point most of Bunji's songs seemed to be about him being the Fireman which Machel give Bunji a verbal lashing for during his winning 2011 ISM stage performance.
But to me Iwer should have won the Power Soca Monarch in 2011 with "Come To Meh" and not Machel based on crowd reaction and participation to his power soca performance. I think Iwer was penalized for overstaying his time on stage or some technicality like that in 2011 if I remember correctly.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:33:43 AM by Socapro »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 25, 2014, 09:12:50 AM »
Two of TNT biggest egos in stand off- no hype could make me pay money to see either one of them.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 25, 2014, 12:00:11 PM »
Two of TNT biggest egos in stand off- no hype could make me pay money to see either one of them.

If you've never been to Machel Monday you are missing out though.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 25, 2014, 12:35:12 PM »
Saw him when he was 12 - saw aBunji inconcertnever see ah song  with two words repeated for ten minutes - by the time he done say he ready- after 10 minutes I ready to go home.
Ah go take on Cro Cro before any of this jump and wVe wine back noise in my ear thanks

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 25, 2014, 02:42:21 PM »
Saw him when he was 12 - saw aBunji inconcertnever see ah song  with two words repeated for ten minutes - by the time he done say he ready- after 10 minutes I ready to go home.
Ah go take on Cro Cro before any of this jump and wVe wine back noise in my ear thanks

Jump & Wave has been out of flavour for quite a while now. Most of the music these days is groovy soca and much of it is pretty sweet and very nice to dance along with your partner to as well.

You seem to be seriously out of touch. I too like Cro Cro and the other serious calypsonians but not much of their stuff is nice to dance along to but is more usually suited for listening to and getting yourself updated with the current social and poltical situation in T&T which is fine.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 08:51:44 PM by Socapro »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 25, 2014, 05:04:10 PM »
You must think I just born or what? I just came back after a month in the homeland - my annual visit and yes I know the groovy music ting- but leh we just beg to differ mr springer-  look Ian I have a preference for Kaiso and that is that. Me eh saying I doh like meh groovy soca and meh get on bad music I just enjoy the lyrical quality of the Kaiso.

Say what yuh like after each of my post but I too old to get into pissing contest- so leh we just keep we own taste aside and move forward- doh get personal- keep up the unity on the forum
1. Umoja (Unity): To strive for and to maintain unity in the family, community, nation, and race. Practice this principle on 26th Dec, Boxing Day.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 05:53:24 PM by AB.Trini »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 25, 2014, 08:48:25 PM »
You must think I just born or what? I just came back after a month in the homeland - my annual visit and yes I know the groovy music ting- but leh we just beg to differ mr springer-  look Ian I have a preference for Kaiso and that is that. Me eh saying I doh like meh groovy soca and meh get on bad music I just enjoy the lyrical quality of the Kaiso.

Say what yuh like after each of my post but I too old to get into pissing contest- so leh we just keep we own taste aside and move forward- doh get personal- keep up the unity on the forum
1. Umoja (Unity): To strive for and to maintain unity in the family, community, nation, and race. Practice this principle on 26th Dec, Boxing Day.

I was simply correcting your assertion that the majority of new stuff is jump and wave. As I said jump and wave has been out of flavour for quite a number of years now. Your post was very misleading in its assertion so I brought some facts to the table and you shouldn't take offense to what I said unless you are against hearing the truth. Your taste in music doesn't change the reality that your post was misleading and not based on current realities.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 08:52:31 PM by Socapro »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 25, 2014, 10:14:22 PM »
Machel is a real prick... gracious and humble are two words most people would never associate with him.  One of my exes is a friend of the family and related to me an incident where he cussed out Liz Montano, his own mother.  Hearsay aside, I personally witnessed him assault a DJ on stage in Miami because he felt the DJ was messing up too much.  But all that being said, Bunji acting like a grade A nanny.  As others have noted, his personality seems to have changed once he married Fay Ann, who... to put it charitably, is a real piece of work herself.  He acting real diva-ish right now, talking about what and what shouldn't be playing out on social media, all the while putting shit out on social media.  Pick up a phone and talk tuh de man, or if that is too much fuh you, a better response on instagram would have been "leh we see what happens", or "this might not be the proper forum, let's have our people get in touch in the next few days and see what we could work out."  Nah... you have to manners Machel... "the people have spoken, but we have not."  FOH

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 26, 2014, 12:14:06 AM »
Bunji is ah arse. Machel realize the impact from both of them on stage the night before and looked to continue that response with the fans on social media. Machel is a master of marketing and sought to take advantage of the collaboration, but Bunji some how did not get that.

All Bunji had to do is say, "yes fadda, it was nice on stage we go definitely link up." Then send Machel a couple mudders runt in a DM. People would have been buzzing nd going on about how Machel and Bunji going and team up, how Machel and Bunji dropping ah song nect week, how Bunji leaving Fay Ann for Machel. Woulda been real positive talk about them and people woulda been going crazy. But Bunji pms at the wrong time.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

1]; } ?>