March 29, 2024, 04:15:30 AM

Author Topic: Formula 1 Title Comes Down to Sunday's Final Race  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Formula 1 Title Comes Down to Sunday's Final Race
« on: November 11, 2010, 12:08:21 PM »
Racing Toward the Wildest Finish in History
Formula 1 Title Comes Down to Sunday's Final Race with Four Men in Contention; the 'Greatest' Season in 60 Years
By A.J. BAIME

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703805004575606634259949448.html#articleTabs%3Darticle

For the first time in 60 years of Formula 1 racing, a season has come down to the final Grand Prix, with four drivers in contention for the World Championship—the most coveted title in all of international motorsports.

After 18 races on five continents, 1,074 laps of high-speed action over the course of eight months, these four—Fernando Alonso, Mark Webber, Sebastian Vettel and Lewis Hamilton—will climb into their chariots this Sunday in hopes of being crowned champion at the Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi.

The chances of this happening? It's like having a BCS title showdown with a half dozen undefeated teams, or an Olympic marathon with a tight pack of athletes in a sprint race for the final mile. Even McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh, who's unlikely to walk away with any big trophy this weekend, has hailed 2010's Formula 1 season as "probably the greatest in history."

"I've been in racing for 51 years and I've never seen anything like this," said David Hobbs, a former F1 driver who'll call Sunday's race on TV.

Mr. Alonso, of the Ferrari team, is best-positioned, with 246 points. Messrs. Webber and Vettel, both of Red Bull, have 238 and 231 points, respectively. McLaren's Mr. Hamilton sits at 222. Messrs. Alonso and Hamilton have both won World Championships—Mr. Alonso twice.

"It's hard to explain," said Mario Andretti about becoming F1 world champion. Mr. Andretti is one of only two Americans ever to do so—with Lotus in 1978. "Your whole life, your career—it's the ultimate satisfaction."

Even before the first Grand Prix in March, the 2010 season was shaping up like none other.

First there was the return of 41-year-old seven-time champ Michael Schumacher after three years of retirement.

Then came news of rules changes. A revamped scoring system offered more points for winning (25 as opposed to 10), discouraging drivers from strategically trying to rack up points with second- and third-place finishes.

Finally, fans delighted over the return of Mercedes and Lotus teams to F1, giving the season an old school flavor reminiscent of the Golden Age of racing in the 1950s and '60s. Mercedes hadn't fielded an F1 team since 1955. Lotus is back for the first time since 1994.

So who'll come out on top? "Anything can happen," said Mr. Andretti. "We've seen this all season long. You look back at what might have been for some, and others who got that one break that put them in contention.…It could be a first-lap situation for one of these drivers, and that's it, it's over."

Below, a closer look at the men with everything to win and everything to lose in Abu Dhabi.

Fernando Alonso (29 years old, Spain, Ferrari):
Any smart gambler has to put his money on Mr. Alonso, who made a stunning comeback the second half of the season to lead the table going into the final race. "He has that little bit of winner's luck," said Mr. Hobbs. "As Napoleon said, 'Don't bring me a good general, bring me a lucky general.' " The Ferrari driver also has mathematics on his side: A second-place finish makes him champion. Even third would be enough as long as his closest contender, Mr. Webber, didn't take the checkered flag.

Mark Webber (34, Australia, Red Bull):
The only Australian to win a Formula 1 race since Alan Jones in 1981, Mr. Webber has the most at stake. Racing is a young man's sport, and this is likely the only time he'll get this close. His calling card? "Tenacity," said Derek Hill, who raced professionally against Mr. Webber, "and a maturity that gives him the edge." After a spectacular somersaulting crash in June, Mr. Webber's lucky to be alive. If he wins Sunday, he needs Mr. Alonso to place third or worse. If Mr. Webber places second, he'll need Mr. Alonso to finish sixth or worse.

Sebastian Vettel (23, Germany, Red Bull):
The young supertalent has skyrocketed to the top over the past three years, culminating in a brilliant win in Brazil last week. "I think Vettel will win multiple championships in the future," said Mr. Hobbs. But this year? He would have to finish second or better to have a shot. His best chance is to win and see Mr. Alonso finish sixth or worse and Mr. Webber to finish third or worse.

Lewis Hamilton (25, Great Britain, McLaren):
The 2008 champion, Mr. Hamilton's hopes this year are barely alive. The only way he can do it is to win and see Mr. Alonso finish 11th or worse, Mr. Webber sixth or worse and Mr. Vettel third or worse. "I have nothing to lose now," he said after last Sunday's Grand Prix in Brazil. "We've seen many times before that almost anything can happen in the last race of the season. It'll take a miracle—but miracles can happen."
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Formula 1 Title Comes Down to Sunday's Final Race
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 12:12:10 PM »
On another note. Ecclestone is, as always, winning friends all over the world...

Ecclestone mocks Button's Brazil attack
Tue, 09 Nov 11:46:00 2010
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/09112010/58/ecclestone-mocks-button-brazil-attack.html

Bernie Ecclestone has played down Jenson Button's brush with armed robbers at the Brazilian Grand Prix, suggesting that the British driver must have looked like a "victim".

Six men with machine guns had tried to target his car as the 2009 champion tried to drive away from the Interlagos circuit after qualifying on Saturday.

His driver, trained in avoidance techniques, was able to take Button and his team away to safety.
That incident, however, coupled with stories of Sauber engineers being robbed, has cast the country in a negative light and Formula One supremo Ecclestone is keep to dispel the image.

“They [robbers] look for victims, they look for anyone that looks like a soft touch and not too bright,” he contended.

“The people that look a bit soft and simple, they will always have a go at. I think here for the race weekend they probably watch TV and see who’s not qualified in the top ten and think, ‘well they must be a bit stupid otherwise they would qualify in the top ten obviously’. So they are victims.”

The sport’s supremo subsequently inquired as to where Button had qualified, and when told it was eleventh, he replied: “There you are, you see, I have to rest my case.”

Ecclestone, 80, went on to state that his experience of Brazil was that it was as safe as anywhere else in the world.

“I’ve been coming here for more than 40 years, not just for the race,” he continued.

“I have walked around, driven, been out in restaurants in the city and never seen or heard anything threatening. I’ve run on the beach here early in the morning with a watch on and never been mugged, never seen anyone being mugged.

"I’ve never, ever had a problem – it’s as safe here as anywhere in the world.

“Normally like in America or anywhere you go there are people getting mugged. In London, it’s a funny thing you know – it’s surprising in Oxford Street the number of people that get mugged there hourly… We should have more police there.”
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 05:06:57 PM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:...man say "I rest my case yes"..... :rotfl:

Ah like him too bad............no matter what happens, Ecclestone's mantra is always "Doh fork wid meh money!"
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 10:22:34 AM »
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:...man say "I rest my case yes"..... :rotfl:

Ah like him too bad............no matter what happens, Ecclestone's mantra is always "Doh fork wid meh money!"

ent?  dais one greedy lil gremlin on de real

Unless 3 men ahead in points crash...hamilton doh have a chance
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 07:29:40 AM »
2010 Final Standings

1     Sebastian Vettel    German     RBR-Renault       256
2    Fernando Alonso    Spanish    Ferrari              252
3    Mark Webber    Australian    RBR-Renault      242
4    Lewis Hamilton    British    McLaren-Mercedes 240
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 07:40:18 AM »
F1 Related...Mikka Hakkonen was in T&T

De man take Lara SL 55 for a couple wild laps....look who reach in de passenger seat one time
]

http://www.trinituner.com/v3/2010/11/02/mika-hakkinen/
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 09:23:11 AM by Dutty »
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 10:04:17 AM »
LEWIS HAMILTON GOING TO DRIVE NASCAR!

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/02/27/tony-stewart-to-try-f1-and-lewis-nascar/

not sure how stewart go even fit into an F1 car tho.

1]; } ?>