April 17, 2024, 10:39:05 PM

Author Topic: Fruits of T&T  (Read 69915 times)

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fruits of T&T
« on: March 03, 2011, 07:17:47 PM »
After reading about sapodilla in the Express this morning ah feel that it must be the tastiest fruit in the world,if there is a nicer tasting fruit I would like to know,on a different topic what about pone,isn't that the greatest sweet in TT,well I think so.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 08:00:16 PM by Tallman »

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sapodilla.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 07:41:58 PM »
nah there is one thing sweeter in trini only one .not sure is a fruit doh so you might be right ,

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 08:18:04 PM »
I'll put caimite, pommerac there too.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 08:34:22 PM »
Please dont talk bout Caimate and Pommerac,sometimes ah try to explain the fruits we have in TT,people not from TT will never understand.What about Balata,sometimes people tell me about fruits that I never saw.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 08:44:27 PM »
Sugar Apple / Sweetsop

Custard Apple
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 09:53:04 PM »
2 Sapodilla and bannana
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 10:24:18 PM »
Sour sop. A ripe one that a bird just pick.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 11:26:40 PM »
Sugar Apple / Sweetsop

Custard Apple

DANG!!!!!!!!!!   I'll spend money for that right now.  Sweet to bad.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 09:26:45 AM »
As a boy I used to eat so much fruit.  Now is only meat and potatoes.
Sapodilla, balata and sugar apple are the sweetest fruits I ever tasted.
I remember being vex the balata were so small. My brothers and I used to raid a big caimete tree by a church.
We also had a big pomerac tree, I used to climb it and eat my belly full.
And pommecythere chow ah boy :)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 11:02:10 AM »
BALATA  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Daz de sweetest right dey!  :notworthy:  Big up de caimate and sapodilla too. De closest ting they have to dem fruits here in the US is a persimmon. Dat too does get lash mercilessly!

Anybody ever hear about a fruit called primrose? It has a distinctive smell and looks like a green pomerac. Daz one that left an indelible impression on my taste buds as ah chile.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 11:07:06 AM by FireBrand »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 11:07:31 AM »
But then it have fruit we used to eat and now I doh know why, like downs or sour cherry.
Why we used to eat that eh? downs tying up yuh mout and sour cherry have yuh squinging yuh face. But I think the worse for me was Cashew. When yuh done yuh throat raw.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 12:03:25 PM »
Balata was always a rare fruit, and yes it sweet too. The thing about balata's rarity was that it was the wood of choice for furniture making. It is a red wood if I remembered and it is very hard. Something like oak. it was kinder of termite resistant, probably from it composition. But the drawback was the carpenter have to use dusk mask when sanding. Bad for the lungs. One of the few fruits that kept it Spanish name, like sapodilla.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 12:11:24 PM »
Just before we came to England ah was bout 11,ah use to go to the Sando Cemetry near the Market and pelt dong balata,one day as ah pelt dong one, a big boy went an take it away from me,he was about 15 and much bigger but ah struggle wid him and got it back,he didn't like that and he punch meh in meh eye.That day ah went home wid a black eye and a tell meh parents ah bounce meh head on a tree,ah never forget Balata and that boy Braithwaith who hit meh.I was no angel even at that age. :)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
But then it have fruit we used to eat and now I doh know why, like downs or sour cherry.
Why we used to eat that eh? downs tying up yuh mout and sour cherry have yuh squinging yuh face. But I think the worse for me was Cashew. When yuh done yuh throat raw.

Nah man, dongs nice. Depends on de stage of ripeness. Plus it have different kinds like snatty nose and toetee

Sour cherry does go good wit salt and pepper, and it does taste wicked when it preserved.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 12:59:32 PM »
Anytime allyuh fellas mention a fruit something click and a remember a story,someone just mention dongs  and that reminded me.When ah was bout 9 or 10 a went with some big boys who said they know where they could find plenty dongs,I followed them and came back home bout 2 or 3 we left  about morning time,well ah get so much blows Inever gorget that.Dongs and Balata sweet but bad luck for me .

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 01:03:33 PM »
Here is one that I never saw or tasted but my father used to talk about it,its Ping Wing

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 04:53:54 PM »
wha about Katahar and Pippi Tambo ?

Katahar is Jack Fruit ah tink...with all dem seeds...I use to like dat too bad...
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 05:31:15 PM »
Here is one that I never saw or tasted but my father used to talk about it,its Ping Wing

I consider mehself ah fruit demon, but ah never hear bout dat one. Ah look it up, and dey does also call it wild pineapple, because de plant similar to a pineapple plant. It possible dat ah mighta had it before, but ah doubt it.

wha about Katahar and Pippi Tambo ?

Katahar is Jack Fruit ah tink...with all dem seeds...I use to like dat too bad...

Yuh mean tipi tambo

Yeh, Katahar is Jackfruit. Breadfruit and Chataigne in de same family.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 06:29:54 PM »
Balata real nice. I partial to Tanka beans, plum, sugar apple. And could eat chennet and pomerac all day.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 06:46:05 PM »
Any of you ever saw pomegrannte fruit tree in trinbago i never saw any but people said they exist is that true ,the thing about it they said it is not red it is green skin .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 07:02:24 PM »

I consider mehself ah fruit demon, but ah never hear bout dat one. Ah look it up, and dey does also call it wild pineapple, because de plant similar to a pineapple plant. It possible dat ah mighta had it before, but ah doubt it.

Yuh is ah fruit demon and yuh eh even respond to my question regarding primrose? Yuh is ah fruit demon or fruit :angel:?

And as we on de topic of exotic fruits...wha bout peewa, gru gru boeuf, fat pork, padu, damson, stinking toe(with de "donkey eye" seeds) and cocorite?

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 07:22:12 PM »
Me and meh wife was trying to remember that Cocorite ah sure ah had it already because meh fatherused to work in the oil fields in deep south and always bring home fruits,another one was Mame Apple,that nice tuh rass.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2011, 08:41:54 PM »

Yuh is ah fruit demon and yuh eh even respond to my question regarding primrose? Yuh is ah fruit demon or fruit :angel:?

And as we on de topic of exotic fruits...wha bout peewa, gru gru boeuf, fat pork, padu, damson, stinking toe(with de "donkey eye" seeds) and cocorite?

Dis is primrose? I eh familiar wit it.

One time during first period in Form 2, I open de top of meh desk and ah see some peewah in dey. Ah jump up and bawl out "Who peewah is dis?". Dey Physics  teacher say "You, get out de class and go home." :rotfl:

Grugru beef is de infamous banga. Dat tree could jook hard boy. I remember when I was small it had a story about ah man who get lash wit ah bullpistle, and he scale ah banga tree and didn't get chook.

Fat Pork

Pois Doux

Stinking Toe

Cocorite

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »

Daz de damn ting self!  :drool:  If yuh like pommerac yuh go like primrose.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 09:05:18 PM »

Daz de damn ting self!  :drool:  If yuh like pommerac yuh go like primrose.

Dey both in de same family. Dey does also call it Rose Apple.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 10:01:37 PM »

Grugru beef is de infamous banga. Dat tree could jook hard boy. I remember when I was small it had a story about ah man who get lash wit ah bullpistle, and he scale ah banga tree and didn't get chook.

Tallest ah never hear it call grugru beef... maybe we in Point does jus call it grugru bef anyway ah know it. Piques too bad on dah tree. If ah man have no other recourse but to run up ah grugru bef tree well he in REAL trouble. He life ha to be in some serious danger. :rotfl:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 07:53:50 AM by Tallman »
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
Re: Fruits of T&T
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2011, 10:05:10 PM »
DouDous mango hadda be up dey with the sweetest fruits in TnT. Kaimet (sp) sweet too bad too. One of my favorites.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2011, 10:09:06 PM »
Tallest ah never hear it call grugru beef... maybe we in Point does jus call it grugru bef anyway ah know it. Piques too bad on dah tree. If ah man have no other recourse but to run up ah grugru bef tree well he in REAL trouble. He life ha to be in some serious danger. :rotfl:

You is ah ass eh  ;D Ah tink ah was de victim of inadvertent auto-correction.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2011, 05:07:45 AM »
Jeeezzz!ah never see half ah dem fruits but ah hear bout some from friends who live more out in country parts.Ah notice that somebody questioning the name "gru gru bef" well my wife from PointFortin and she call it by that name.I am hoping to spend quite a lot of time in TT in 2012 and I'll b discovering all those that I missed out on.Ah love those pictures man me and the wife just lookin and longing,thanks mates.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2011, 06:29:01 AM »
Tallman yuh puts tears in meh eye...dat Tipi Tambo...looking real fuh so....

What about Pee Wah and Chenette...dat iz ah fruit too?

Ah say it, how ah see it

1]; } ?>