April 23, 2024, 07:02:42 PM

Author Topic: Music Education Model: An Instrument for Social Change  (Read 1107 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Music Education Model: An Instrument for Social Change
« on: March 05, 2011, 10:05:33 PM »
In an era where our nation is  going through such rapid transformation it is with great pride that last night an opportunity was afforded to us to experience our culture though the  medium of the internet. Anyone who saw the Panorama show last night would have been extremely proud of the coverage ( first rate), from the  hosts, to the profiles to the product itself. There must be more to who we are as a nation that revel in partying and jump and wave. Could there be a vital role that our talented musicians play in reshaping the ills of our society?

I was struck by the comments of several comments from those who were interviewed and by  observing a phenomena  that may have merits as we move in our social reconstruction.

Comments from those interviewed commented on the participation of the youths and the care that is needed to ensure their safety and participation with adults; the cross over in gender of having not only female participants but also female band leaders;  the influence of our culture on  foreign intellects ( degrees in pan  now more widely attainable abroad) Cordettes from Grande with a Danish arranger!!!.  heard  one female participant  talked about motivational speaker  presenting to them before their performance another mentioned the fact that their players made a choice to practice as oppose to going partying!!!

One may argue that the stakes were high and hence the motivation and drive to succeed  is inherent but the mere fact that the pan yards are attracting and youths are committing to something so positive has  led me to look more deeply into what possible ways could our government put $$$ into a social program to reach out to disenfranchised youths?

Studies have shown the immense benefits of students studying music and the impact it has on them in other areas of their academic life. venezuela has an initiative going on now on a national scale in terms of using music for social change: 

http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/diana.hollinger/research.html

Click on:  "The Venezuelan Music Education Model: an Instrument for Social Change in California?" California Music Educator's Association State Magazine, Fall, 2007.

I would like to pay a special tribute to the organization that provided us with  the opportunity for the world to see  and share with our culture. This was one very well produced show and in HD. Why can't  these shows be  made available  like this one was tonight?

Instead of all this ppv  COME ON  let our culture be free and open for all to see. Kudos to this organization for a first class act. I trust that this was not a marketing ploy to attract  viewers and turn around and  profit  by charging next year.

I would think that this type of a medium could continue to be not only a show case of our culture but how we are using  our musical talents to  change our society.
IMHO
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 02:45:30 PM by AB.Trini »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Re: Music Education Model: An Instrument for Social Change
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 10:15:07 PM »
Wha happen we cyar take we culture seriously? is it always about ah party thing? ent no one see the merit in we cultural art forms?

1]; } ?>