March 29, 2024, 09:00:28 AM

Author Topic: NCAA March Madness  (Read 17942 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
NCAA March Madness
« on: March 18, 2011, 11:48:20 AM »
1st round, all kinda excitement done pass already.

6 games decided  by 3 points or less
Butler pips Old Dominion, Morehead Stae send Pitino back home, Temple over Penn State, Kentucky star player make 1 basket for the game - the winner over Princeton, Virginia old money (U of R) beat Tennessee old money (Vanderbilt) and Michigan State couldn't complete the comeback vs UCLA.

Old Dominion 58 Butler 60
Morehead St. 62 Louisville 61
Penn St.64 Temple 66
Princeton 57 Kentucky 59
Richmond 69 Vanderbilt 66
Michigan St. 76 UCLA 78
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA March Madness
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 11:56:30 AM »
I'm really impressed with Kenny Faried of Morehead St.  That game with Louisville is like a local college derby... typically the rivalry is between Louisville and Kentuck (especially since Pitino used to coach UK), but from what I've been reading Morehead St. felt like they had something to prove too.  Louisville and St. John's disappoint mih, want to see the fellow Big East teams do well... and actually had Louisville going to the Sweet Sixteen.  Bracket ent exactly bust yet though.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 12:41:47 PM »
I was planning on tuning into the Michigan - Tennessee game because the 8 vs 9 seemed like it would be a good match-up. Apparently Michigan thinks a good match-up is beating the other guy by 30 points...

Maybe Notre-Dame v Akron will be more exciting.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 01:09:09 PM »
I was planning on tuning into the Michigan - Tennessee game because the 8 vs 9 seemed like it would be a good match-up. Apparently Michigan thinks a good match-up is beating the other guy by 30 points...

Maybe Notre-Dame v Akron will be more exciting.

The SEC was piss-poor this season, while Michigan has a very talented core, playing in a much more competitive conference than Tennessee.  I had Michigan winning... but yeah... not by 30.  That is shocking.  Team got sabotaged in part by the Athletic Director unnecessarily introducing speculation about Pearl's job into the mix.  At the same time they played too much playground ball... too much one-on-one play and wild, uncontrolled forays into the lane, resulting in offensive fouls.  Don't know why they went away from that Tobias Harris kid in the second half.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 02:38:37 PM »
George Mason is this year's George Mason!

From 10 down to win at the death. 61-57. The last 2 point was just icing. Villanova had the ball down 2 with 9.1
second left and turn it over.

1st game today with some excitement. Good stuff

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 05:32:25 PM »
Michigan became the first team to win a tourney game without making a free throw.  They went 0-1.

I don't understand how a team could let another team run up the score on them and not commit more than one shooting foul in the process.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 06:51:41 AM »
f**king Georgetown boy.... steups

3rd straight loss in the first round (Davidson, Ohio and now VCU) each time to a double-digit seed.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 04:17:48 PM »
I know yuh woulda be sour after that one.

also, apparently that was the only pick Obama had wrong friday in his bracket.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 07:25:39 PM »
The Butler - Pitt ending was classic.
All kinds of action in the last 7 seconds.

Butler snatch defeat from the jaws of victory with a foul with 1.9 seconds left, only for Pitt to snatch it back with a foul at 0.8 seconds.
Butler win 71-70

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 11:00:57 PM »
I know yuh woulda be sour after that one.

also, apparently that was the only pick Obama had wrong friday in his bracket.

To be honest I didn't think we'd do much... but I did see us beating VCU, Purdue and possibly ND to make the Elite Eight.  When a team is on fire from 3 (as were both Ohio last year and VCU this year) and you not hitting any (0-16 from our 'big' three guards)... and nothing on the inside.... formula fuh friggin defeat.

Bitter... I was out whole evening and ent watch nutten... surprised by that Pitt result.  Big East send eleven teams to the Tournament and half ah dem eh survive to see Sunday.  Ah could done hear the "overrated" chants starting up arready.  Still the best conference though, doh care what nobody say.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 04:31:48 AM »
Allyuh harden. Keep underestimating the CAA...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 07:35:56 PM »
Allyuh harden. Keep underestimating the CAA...

CAA my ass... is only one team worth ah fart and that is VCU.  Mason played slumping Villanova team and Richmond is a good team, but they beat an overrated Vandy team that came out of a very weak SEC conference.  There is Kentucky, Florida and nobody else worth a damn in the SEC.  I like their victory over Morehead St. though... but that is Morehead St.... victory over Louisville notwithstanding.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 08:27:24 PM »
Richmond is in the Atlantic 10 conference.

Regardless, after all the bad-talk VCU get (and they were 4th in the conf and lost the CAA championship game, they still around. You could say what you like, VCU and the CAA will toot they horn until they lose. You could only play the teams in front of you.

As for Mason, Ohio state is on a different level. You just have to take that licks and like it.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 11:24:45 PM »
Richmond is in the Atlantic 10 conference.

Regardless, after all the bad-talk VCU get (and they were 4th in the conf and lost the CAA championship game, they still around. You could say what you like, VCU and the CAA will toot they horn until they lose. You could only play the teams in front of you.

As for Mason, Ohio state is on a different level. You just have to take that licks and like it.

Yuh right about Richmond... they have a track record, I had them beating Vandy, but had them losing to Louisville.  Didn't see them going to the Sweet Sixteen.  As for VCU... them getting this far doesn't say anything about the CAA anymore than the 7 or 8 Big East losses says anything about the quality of the Big East.  VCU is enjoying one helluva run and it is clear that they are a good team peaking at the right moment.  2 out of 3 times they play a healthy Georgetown they will lose, 2 out of 3 they getting spanked by the likes of Pittsburgh or Syracuse.  You have to look a the Conference in general and you trying to point to two teams out of how many? 

With Mason, my bracket still intact... I had them beating "Nova because Nova was shite down the stretch with Fisher being hurt (and in a prolonges slump) and their top scorer Stokes being limited the last 5-6 games with a hamstring.  Why yuh think they get bounced in the first round of the Big East Tournament?  So Mason was going to get found out whether OSU or not.  Who else in that CAA... American?  ODU??  I eh go hate on yuh conference but allyuh eh earn the right to beat allyuh chest yet.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 08:29:54 AM »
Allow me provide a reasoned, well-researched rebuttal...

Ok, I doh have one, I just talking smack! The small conferences doh get many opportunities to talk smack, so I will take full advantage. (like how VCU advantage Georgetown nah)

You have to take yuh licks and like it!  ;D

Until the carriage turn back into a pumpkin...

On another note, is an interesting dynamic between VCU and the University of Richmond. You talking about 2 schools on different sides of the track.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 08:32:52 AM by Bitter »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 10:38:38 AM »
Allow me provide a reasoned, well-researched rebuttal...

Ok, I doh have one, I just talking smack! The small conferences doh get many opportunities to talk smack, so I will take full advantage. (like how VCU advantage Georgetown nah)

You have to take yuh licks and like it!  ;D

Until the carriage turn back into a pumpkin...

On another note, is an interesting dynamic between VCU and the University of Richmond. You talking about 2 schools on different sides of the track.

Lol... trust me I here licking mih wounds normel normel  ;D

Seriously though mih first impulse was to hate on dat shit team dat knock we out, saying they get lucky... but nah, I actually ended up rooting fuh dem against Purdue, they playing some real nice ball.  Rodriguez is de man, picking teams apart with ease.  They face a real challenge against FSU though, not only because FSU has the top-ranked defense in the country, but also because they so big and athletic... AND aggressive.  Most significantly, unlike other tournament foes they also have three VCU game tapes to study, and 4-5 days to prepare.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 09:20:24 AM »
3rd straight loss in the first round (Davidson, Ohio and now VCU) each time to a double-digit seed.

On ah serious note, ah starting to question JT3 coaching. Is level cutarse they getting in the tournament for years now. The only time they went to the final four under his watch is when he was coaching players who were recruited by de former coach Esherick.
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 07:39:39 PM »
Uconn takes care of business.

Florida finally slay the beast Jimmer in OT

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 09:32:19 PM »

On ah serious note, ah starting to question JT3 coaching. Is level cutarse they getting in the tournament for years now. The only time they went to the final four under his watch is when he was coaching players who were recruited by de former coach Esherick.

I ent ready to give up on JTII yet... but he need to tweak de "Georgetown Offense" a bit more... it too plodding at times, and we can't play from behind.  We need to keep recruiting shooters as we've had the past few years, but surround them with some more athletes.  We ranked near the bottom of D-I in rebounding.

Bitter UCONN surprise mih, but SDSU had a couple bad possessions down the stretch and that was it.

Meanwhile Duke trails AZ by 10 with 10 mins to play.  Plenty time still, but hope springs eternal... ABD.. Anybody But Duke!!

EDIT:

Great day in the morning.... so long to the Devils, AZ broke out the holy water on that ass.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:03:57 PM by Bakes »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 09:46:45 PM »
82-66 with 5:01 to go.
This would be a near perfect sports day for haters like me.

Australia, BYU, now Duke...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 11:44:33 PM »
Duke got UNLV'ed all over again, lol

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2011, 08:13:00 AM »

Derrick "F---in" Williams.....Dat is ah grown arse man playing amongst boys...
Ah cyah remember de last time ah see ah Duke team get manhandled like dat in ah tournament.
Ah know St.John's rough dem up earlier dis year in de Garden, but my word last night was ah straight cutarse.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 10:17:08 AM »

Ah cyah remember de last time ah see ah Duke team get manhandled like dat in ah tournament.
Ah know St.John's rough dem up earlier dis year in de Garden, but my word last night was ah straight cutarse.

Like ah said, the last time they get ran like that this late in the year was 21 yrs ago vs. the Runnin' Rebels.  GU rout them last year and SJU this year, but getting ran in the tournament is another thing.

As much as I feel I know about basketball I have to admit I never even heard of Derrick Williams until the other day.  I normally doh follow West Coast ball that much because the conferences so shitty... Arizona has been down for several years in fact, but man... Derrick Williams is a straight beast.  5 of 6 from deep... very deep at times, all of them contested.  He make them Duke players (Singler in particular) look ordinary... in other words, like they true self.  Had a couple man-sized dunks on them too.  The put-back in the first half was just crazy.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 01:03:59 PM »

Like ah said, the last time they get ran like that this late in the year was 21 yrs ago vs. the Runnin' Rebels.  GU rout them last year and SJU this year, but getting ran in the tournament is another thing.

As much as I feel I know about basketball I have to admit I never even heard of Derrick Williams until the other day.  I normally doh follow West Coast ball that much because the conferences so shitty... Arizona has been down for several years in fact, but man... Derrick Williams is a straight beast.  5 of 6 from deep... very deep at times, all of them contested.  He make them Duke players (Singler in particular) look ordinary... in other words, like they true self.  Had a couple man-sized dunks on them too.  The put-back in the first half was just crazy.
Yeah a lot of people don’t really know about him cause de media never hype him up like they do with that “chuckin,ball hoe,no conscience” Jimmer.
Plus Arizona games does usually tip-off 10:30 Eastern on some Fox affiliate channel dat yuh need ah GPS to find.
If he was in the ACC or in the Big East, he woulda win de national player of de year easy.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 06:53:54 PM »
Yeah a lot of people don’t really know about him cause de media never hype him up like they do with that “chuckin,ball hoe,no conscience” Jimmer.
Plus Arizona games does usually tip-off 10:30 Eastern on some Fox affiliate channel dat yuh need ah GPS to find.
If he was in the ACC or in the Big East, he woulda win de national player of de year easy.

I'd have to disagree with you on two grounds... doh sleep on Jimmer, I was kinda hating on him too because of the hype and because he's Mormon, lol.  But having seen the yute play, dat man is a baller.  He only hogging the ball b/c that is what his coach want him to do (his coach self say so... he's their 1st, 2nd and 3rd option on offense).  But looking past the points and shots per game, I look at that fella ability to put the ball in the basket... he could shoot from deep, shoot mid-range... drive to the hole and finish.  The man's a complete player (minus the defense, lol).  Now how that would translate on the professional level is another question.

As for Williams being POY if he was playing on the East Coast... not that easy, it's not all about geography.  Yuh have to remember too that the Conferences on the East coast are deeper and more competitive... so he'd have to play here AND play well.  Is one thing to put up numbers against the PAC-10 or the WCC or the WAC... but put up them numbers against the ACC or the Big East then we could talk.  Besides which, Jimmer on the West Coast and he's a candidate... albeit putting up numbers against the likes of Cal Santa Barbara etc.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 11:21:19 PM »
VCU WHAT!!!!!!!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 05:01:26 PM »
Butler v. Florida... what an OT period, wow.  Both teams trading body shots right down to the very end.

This is what March Madness is all about  :notworthy:

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 01:48:29 PM »
VCU losing steam against KU in the 2nd half. let's see if they could hold on.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 02:24:15 PM »
VCU losing steam against KU in the 2nd half. let's see if they could hold on.

Just keeping things interesting... what a run they're on.  Win or lose (and it looks like win, up 8 w/ 3:39 left) they've certainly earned the respect of all the doubters.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 05:15:03 PM »
82-66 with 5:01 to go.
This would be a near perfect sports day for haters like me.

Australia, BYU, now Duke...

England, UNC...

Great Weekend.

1]; } ?>