April 19, 2024, 12:06:22 AM

Author Topic: If Arsene Wenger left tomorrow and Jose Mourinho left Real Madrid ...  (Read 5875 times)

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
Thought this quote could spark some good debate. What are your thoughts?

Paul Merson:
"If Arsene Wenger left tomorrow and Jose Mourinho left Real Madrid, every club in the world would want Wenger ahead of Mourinho," said the 43-year-old. "I say that because Mourinho needs 100 or 200 million pounds ($327 million) to spend on players wherever he goes, Arsene Wenger doesn't."

Source:
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/07042011/2/old-boy-merson-writes-arsenal-title-chances.html

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: If Arsene Wenger left tomorrow and Jose Mourinho left Real Madrid ...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 07:39:45 AM »
lol from what i understand arsenal have 100-200 mil to spend but wenger wont spend it

i doubt arsenal wil go with a mercenary manager like mourhino anyway

and at this point i am so jaded about arsenal that i dont want us to win athing this year to even give wenger any justification of why he stuck by with keeping the dead weight on this team

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 08:04:42 AM »
Wenger is a true club manager...he manages players, youth programmes, budgets etc....sometimes i figure he might be better suited to d boardroom as opposed to d dressing room.

Mourinho needs material to work with...without 3 or 4 outstanding players mourinho aint worth shit

Offline Dansteel - The Iceman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 08:34:04 AM »
I dunno man. I appreciate the sentiment but football clubs are so obsessed with results "now for now" that a man like Mourinho will always be favoured over a man like Wenger who, while guaranteeing the long term viability and independence of a team, doesn't win as many trophies.

On the other hand that is why Mourinho is the only big manager who will constantly criticise Wenger's trophy drought. He knows he built nothing of substance. Ferguson, Ancelotti, Guardiola, they all speak of Wenger with respect because they recognise the scale of his achievement. Mourinho will never understand because he doesn't have to.
Victoria concordia crescit

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 08:34:37 AM »
Wenger is a true club manager...he manages players, youth programmes, budgets etc....sometimes i figure he might be better suited to d boardroom as opposed to d dressing room.

Mourinho needs material to work with...without 3 or 4 outstanding players mourinho aint worth shit

what about his days at porto?

"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 08:36:10 AM »
What has Wenger won and What has Mourinho won? All that Matters is results.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 08:39:57 AM »

I NOW come to say that, Like men forget HE WIN BACK to back European titles with Porto. Mourinho doesn't necessarily need OUTSTANDING players, he just needs a core of good players who will work within his philosophy. Madrid is perhaps his most star-studded team and right now he probably has the most headaches as a result.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 09:38:15 AM »
It almost seems like Wenger is more concerned with working with youth than winning.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 09:40:25 AM »
pedo
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 10:09:05 AM »
He have a good point man. Cause Wenger bringing attacking football too. Mourinho bringing boring football with a guarantee of trophies.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 10:12:53 AM »

I NOW come to say that, Like men forget HE WIN BACK to back European titles with Porto. Mourinho doesn't necessarily need OUTSTANDING players, he just needs a core of good players who will work within his philosophy. Madrid is perhaps his most star-studded team and right now he probably has the most headaches as a result.
Yes Real is his most star studded team, but he is consistently being out coached by Pep. And its common knowledge that La Liga is a two horse league.

Porto had the following outstanding players (at least in my view)

Baia, Carvalho, Fereira, Maniche, Deco

Offline saint27

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 10:16:19 AM »
Two great managers in thier own right ( even though i hate arsenal)....... Mourinho is a man to come in and win trophies now for now and arsene is a lil more old school in givin d youths a chance and building for the future...... clubs with big money like City would take mourinho quicker cuz they tryin to justify spending 100 mil a year .... i could see a more traditional club like liverpool or barca(providing pep gone) takin wenger to continue building on past success

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 10:25:33 AM »
He have a good point man. Cause Wenger bringing attacking football too. Mourinho bringing boring football with a guarantee of trophies.

He ent guranteed nothing this year. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 10:31:14 AM »

Yes Real is his most star studded team, but he is consistently being out coached by Pep.

Not correct.

Mourinho's Inter beat Pep's Barca last season in CL...

This season Pep has the upper hand so far...

But who is to say that victories are a result of outcoaching?

I think when yuh dealing with weak to mediocre teams, coaching is the X factor...but when yuh dealing with top tier teams at the highest level, it's as much about the big players performing and executing....and coaches can only do so much to influence that... 

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 10:34:08 AM »
i eh lying...some ah allyuh real funny yes
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 10:38:40 AM »

He ent guranteed nothing this year. 

Agreed  :devil:
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline saint27

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 10:40:22 AM »

Yes Real is his most star studded team, but he is consistently being out coached by Pep.

I think when yuh dealing with weak to mediocre teams, coaching is the X factor...but when yuh dealing with top tier teams at the highest level, it's as much about the big players performing and executing....and coaches can only do so much to influence that... 

How coaching wont be the X factor ? All the teams that are winnig can attribute that to thier coaches .... a team with out a good coach or bouncing from coach to coach wont win anything ... look at real bouncing from coach to coach with all thier world class players havent won anyhthing in a while

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 10:40:43 AM »
pedo

lol so thats what you lay in bed thinking about eh?  :rotfl:

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 10:42:35 AM »
i eh lying...some ah allyuh real funny yes

big coach explain yuhself nah

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 10:48:34 AM »

How coaching wont be the X factor ? All the teams that are winnig can attribute that to thier coaches .... a team with out a good coach or bouncing from coach to coach wont win anything ... look at real bouncing from coach to coach with all thier world class players havent won anyhthing in a while

It goes without saying that you need a good coach for success...and the two we're talking about are both very good coaches.  We're talking about 2 of the best football managers alive today...

I'm saying the difference between them is probably more the players they work with than their ability to manage....

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 10:50:12 AM »

It goes without saying that you need a good coach for success...and the two we're talking about are both very good coaches.  We're talking about 2 of the best football managers alive today...

I'm saying the difference between them is probably more the players they work with than their ability to manage....

and some money to spend but otherwise you correcto mundo

giggsy11

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 10:53:32 AM »
Has Arsene9 ever build a great side from scratch that won things? The invicibles and sides that won trophies contained a defense including goalie from the previous manager. Arsene9 has failed to shore up areas of weakness and continues to let his ego dictate. I think the difference with Jose is he will spend to fill areas of weakness despite his ego and he also puts players in positions where they can be most effective. Also I think Jose is a better motivator than Arsene9. I will take, Jose the wandering, winning gypsy!

giggsy11

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 11:01:54 AM »
Arsene9 only want to play "cultured" football and his side consistently getting their arse whipped and their lunch taken away! Arsenal plays like Arsene9 looks; he doesn't want to work up a sweat or get dirt under his nails!

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 11:15:52 AM »
At the end of the day take Bertile :rotfl: and spend the money on players.

Players win the games not coaches.

Coaches help by picking the correct players etc tactics, but the players is the key.

If messi was on Arsenal they would win the champions league

you could bring which coach you want, u need to focus on the players.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 11:28:20 AM »

Coaches help by picking the correct players etc tactics, but the players is the key.

how come argentina cyah win shit? Messi greatness is a product of a great team around him.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

giggsy11

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 11:39:09 AM »

how come argentina cyah win shit? Messi greatness is a product of a great team around him.

I disagree, I think systems and managing help players to be successful. Barca's system compliments Messi and it appears that Argentina's new manager has a system that is working for Messi.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, 11:46:56 AM »

I disagree, I think systems and managing help players to be successful. Barca's system compliments Messi and it appears that Argentina's new manager has a system that is working for Messi.

exactly.
if messi was a part of arsenal dosent mean that they would win CL as stated by KND2. the best results from a player will come about from the right manager being able to build a team philosophy that the players can adapt to.
(Muslim)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 11:50:58 AM »

Of course.  Good point. 

Point is both Mourinho and Wenger have proven at various points in their career, that given the right players they develop winning "systems" and can manage to success...

X factor is still the players. 

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 12:02:13 PM »
lol from what i understand arsenal have 100-200 mil to spend but wenger wont spend it

i doubt arsenal wil go with a mercenary manager like mourhino anyway

and at this point i am so jaded about arsenal that i dont want us to win athing this year to even give wenger any justification of why he stuck by with keeping the dead weight on this team
::)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 12:54:28 PM »

Porto had outstanding players on that squad and they were on top of their game as well. They had depth, balance and a bench that gave them a different dimension. It was also a very expensive squad at the time for a Portugese club.

PORTO:

GK 99  Vítor Baía
RB 22  Paulo Ferreira
CB 2    Jorge Costa (c)  77'
CB 4    Ricardo Carvalho
LB 8    Nuno Valente  29'
DM 6   Costinha
RM 23  Pedro Mendes
LM 18  Maniche
AM 10  Deco   85'
CF 11  Derlei   78'
CF 19  Carlos Alberto  40'  60'
Substitutes:
GK 1  Nuno
DF 5   Ricardo Costa
DF 17  José Bosingwa
MF 3   Pedro Emanuel   85'
MF 15  Dmitri Alenichev   60'
FW 9  Edgaras Jankauskas
FW 77  Benni McCarthy
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

1]; } ?>