April 18, 2024, 08:14:09 AM

Author Topic: For Lent, can man live by brew alone?  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
For Lent, can man live by brew alone?
« on: April 08, 2011, 05:52:20 PM »
For Lent, can man live by brew alone?
By Eric Marrapodi (CNN)

For the 46 days of Lent, J. Wilson is forgoing solid food and only drinking beer and water - just as Bavarian monks did hundreds of years ago

Wilson is a husband, father, newspaper editor and beer enthusiast. The 38-year-old is the proprietor of the beer blog brewvana, where the motto is, "An ideal condition of harmony, beer and joy."

"That pretty much sums up our lifestyle," Wilson told CNN.

Wilson is not a suds-soaked frat boy, but a careful home brewer with an eye for history and a hope for a spiritual breakthrough.

He is a nondenominational Christian who said he doesn't like to get hung up on religious labels.

He is practicing a Lenten fast with Christians throughout the centuries who typically give something up from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday (April 24 this year) to remind them of the sacrifice they believe Jesus made on the cross for them. Typically, Christians give up something such as alcohol or sweets.

Wilson knows his sacrifice is bit extreme. He said his wife, Michelle, has been completely supportive. In his experiments as a home brewer in Iowa, he said Michelle "puts up with a yeast blow up on the ceiling."

There are doctor's visits during the fast, and he did copious research before he began. He even bulked up beforehand, knowing he would lose weight. "I wasn't running into this half-cocked," he said. "I didn't wake up on Ash Wednesday and think, 'Wow this would be a great idea.' "

It helps that his boss at the Adams County Free Press is on board, because he keeps a keg at the office. Each morning, Wilson pours himself a 12-ounce Illuminator Doppelbock for breakfast. Then another at lunch, a 3:15 p.m. snack and finally a beer around 7:15 p.m., once he is home and settled in with the family. Each beer has about 288 calories and is about 6.7% alcohol he said.

His brew of choice pays homage to the monks he's emulating. It was made at Rock Bottom Brewery in Des Moines, Iowa, with the help of senior brewer Eric Sorensen.

"It's got that flavor of malt, the flavor of bread, the flavor of toast and a certain amount of creaminess. It's like drinking bread - dark, good bread," Sorensen said.

Sorensen said the idea of a beer fast has long roots and he was very familiar with the idea when Wilson brought it up at a beer festival.

"Three hundred or four hundred years ago, a group of Paulaner monks in a Bavarian region had made a stronger beer in a town called Einbeck and they called it bock. The monks started making a stronger beer, a double beer, called doppelbock," Sorensen said. "The story goes the monks would give up eating and literally would drink this 'liquid bread' to sustain them through their Lenten fast."

In January, he and Wilson slightly altered one of Wilson's home brew recipes to create the Illuminator Doppelbock. They brewed 279 gallons of the beer, a typical batch for the brewery and restaurant.

The publicity around Wilson's fast ended up being a boon for business at the Rock Bottom Brewery. They were packed on Fat Tuesday when Wilson ate his last solid food, boiled crayfish and corn on the cob. Sorensen gave Wilson four kegs, which is about 20 gallons of beer, for the fast.

"He didn't actually pay for the beer; I kinda paid for it myself. It went a long way in terms of advertising," Sorensen said.

Wilson is blogging about his fast at Diary of a Part-time monk and hopes to write a book about his experience.

He is over the halfway mark on the fast, which he'll break on Easter Sunday in keeping with Christian tradition. One thing he has learned early on was "the difference between hunger and desire."

The media attention got a bit overwhelming. He was doing three or four radio interviews day but has decided he, "just had to retire from morning radio."

He said has been reading through the Old Testament book of Psalms, meeting with a pastor and tried to increase his prayer life as part of the spiritual elements of the fast. He also spent last weekend visiting an group of monks at Conception Abbey in Missouri.

He said there have been many little spiritual breakthroughs living like a fasting monk in the modern world.

"I think in the first few days there were lots of little tidbits of enlightenment. I felt like I was in a tunnel and really focused. You could live among the craziness in the world and be a focused Christian."

The hunger stopped during the first week, he said, and he has no designs to break his fast.

"No question, I'd have to get hit by a bus to stop." From here on out he said it would be, "just an exercise in discipline."

J. Wilson (right) is only drinking beer for lent. Eric Sorensen (left) a brewmaster helped make the beer.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: For Lent, can man live by brew alone?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 06:47:45 AM »
wonder is stag go sponsor me to do the same next year?
Back in Trini...

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 07:32:04 AM »
...or Carib.

I give up alcohol/beer for lent. Well I had too because my liver damaged from Carnival. :-\
Bess memory is walking into Beach house fete and drinking 7.5 tall glass of champagne ;D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 07:33:41 AM by TriniCana »

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 08:10:05 AM »
...or Carib.

I give up alcohol/beer for lent. Well I had too because my liver damaged from Carnival. :-\
Bess memory is walking into Beach house fete and drinking 7.5 tall glass of champagne ;D

Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin or Ripple?
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 08:20:19 AM »
...or Carib.

see while u were walking in beach house i was handing out costumes to angry customers...knowing a beastly cold stag was waiting as work done kept me going!
i go pass on the carib tho..
if sam adams looking to sponsor i go take them too!
Back in Trini...

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 10:03:50 AM »
...or Carib.

Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin or Ripple?
Listen when people handing out drinks, I doh ask nothing. All I know 750TT pay for dem drinks and after the 4th glass I start to laugh down the people place, and everybody was looking handsome.

NYtrini my beer over here is Alexander Keiths!! I was liming in Carlton Savannah the Carnival Friday watching Tribe deal with late comers and disgruntled customers.  Oh lawd allyuh have patience!!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 10:43:51 AM »
Alexander keiths is my favourite beer in canada..sometimes get it upstate NY..as u remind me i really  hadda see if i cud find some since i up here for a week
Back in Trini...

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 11:01:39 AM »
Keiths iz Boss

BUT

ah Sleemans Honey Brown could come ah close 2nd...to any homebrew
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 06:59:30 AM »
Keiths iz Boss

BUT

ah Sleemans Honey Brown could come ah close 2nd...to any homebrew

You ent taste the swill my coworker does make. The man organize a big lime and had a tasting. I just being polite whole time and sippin real slow. I bring a bottle back for the missus, after she taste it I get cuss. I tell she I couldn't suffer alone.   ;D
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

1]; } ?>