April 16, 2024, 01:39:22 PM

Author Topic: Fifa suspends Bin Hammam and Warner after ethics hearing  (Read 1860 times)

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
Fifa suspends Bin Hammam and Warner after ethics hearing
« on: May 29, 2011, 10:44:57 AM »
Fifa suspends Bin Hammam and Warner after ethics hearing

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/13590264.stm

Fifa has provisionally suspended executive committee members Mohamed Bin Hammam and Jack Warner after a meeting of its ethics committee on Sunday.

Football governing's body will now open a full investigation into allegations that financial incentives were offered to members of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU).

CFU officials Debbie Minguell and Jason Sylvester have also been suspended.

However, no action will be taken against Fifa president Sepp Blatter.

Although the ethics committee found that the four have a case to answer, Fifa insist that they are innocent until proven guilty.

Bin Hammam, who was the only candidate due to oppose Blatter in the forthcoming election, until he withdrew in the early hours of Sunday morning, and vice-president Warner were forced to answer charges of bribery over allegations from executive committee member Chuck Blazer in Zurich on Sunday.

It was alleged that they offered bribes at a meeting of the CFU on 10 and 11 May.

A file of evidence claimed bundles of cash of up to $40,000 (£24,200) were handed over to members of the CFU at the meeting in Trinidad.

In turn, Bin Hammam effectively claimed Blatter was aware of some wrongdoing but did not report it, in itself a breach of Fifa's ethics code.

Fifa also confirmed that the presidential election will go ahead as planned on Wednesday.
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: Fifa suspends Bin Hammam and Warner after ethics hearing
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 10:49:51 AM »
Long overdue. Live by de sword ....
Mafia lickin' up Mafia. Lovely.
Scampito and Rodent under de bus nex'.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 11:25:26 AM »
Not going to get excited until he is found guilty. But 1 ting I know my boys done beat him. So it can be done.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 12:18:30 PM »
:o

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 12:47:15 PM »
so Jack have a bare Jack.  But is it going to get hang?
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 12:54:39 PM »
so Jack have a bare Jack.  But is it going to get hang?
Pecan it seems like a whole can of worms is going to open up now in terms of other allegations. If Jack gets off this one, there maybe more charges for him to answer to, if FIFA decides to investigate those matters.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 02:26:57 PM »
T&T gov't mum on FIFA's Jack Warner probe

Jamaica Observer
Saturday, May 28, 2011

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC) – The Trinidad and Tobago government will await the outcome of a probe by the International Football Federation (FIFA) before it decides on any action against one of its senior ministers, Austin Jack Warner, who is facing bribery allegations in his capacity as a FIFA vice president.

“It would be unfair to Minister Warner for us to make any sort of pronouncement against him adverse to his character,” said attorney general Anand Ramlogan, adding “if however there is any findings adverse to Minister Warner that impeaches or impugns his integrity that is a different matter because that may very well be a matter for the Prime Minister in her capacity as leader of the government.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/T-T-gov-t-mum-on-FIFA-s-Jack-Warner-probe

FILE - In this May 10, 2011 file picture Mohamed bin Hammam, right, of Qatar, chief of the Asian Football Confederation, is accompanied by FIFA Vice President Austin Jack Warner, of Trinidad & Tobago, during a meeting in Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago. FIFA is investigating allegations of bribery involving presidential candidate Mohamed bin Hammam and FIFA vice president Jack Warner.  (AP Photo/Shirley Bahadur,File)

FILE - In this May 10, 2011 file picture Mohamed bin Hammam, right, of Qatar, chief of the Asian Football Confederation, is accompanied by FIFA Vice President Austin Jack Warner, of Trinidad & Tobago, during a meeting in Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago. FIFA is investigating allegations of bribery involving presidential candidate Mohamed bin Hammam and FIFA vice president Jack Warner.  (AP Photo/Shirley Bahadur,File) 1/1 

“But we will cross that bridge if and when it comes to it,” he said, reminding reporters Warner has not been proven to have committed any sin as yet.

‘It is an allegation…FIFA is not run by the government and it is not part of the government so it will be premature for us as a government to make any pronouncement adverse to Mr Warner in a matter that we know nothing about,” he added.

But Warner told reporters yesterday that he was not afraid of the allegations made against and predicts a “football tsunami" over the coming days.

Warner is to appear before the FIFA’s ethics committee tomorrow to answer allegations of bribery tomorrow. He is accused, along with FIFA presidential candidate Mohamed Bin Hammam, of offering bribes to members of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) at a meeting here in exchange for votes in the FIFA presidential elections on Wednesday.

"I tell you something, in the next couple days you will see a football tsunami that will hit FIFA and the world that will shock you. ... The time has come when I must stop playing dead so you'll see it, it’s coming, trust me you'll see it by now and Monday," said Warner.

"I have been here for 29 consecutive years and if the worst happen, the worst happen," he told reporters during a break during the meeting of the Parliament.

Warner, who is also the Minister of Works and Transport, said he was prepared to walk away from FIFA.

"If that is what it comes to so be it, you must never get too attached to anything, it clouds your judgment and therefore whatever happens, happens, que sera sera. I am not even remotely bothered. I had planned to leave Saturday morning in any case because I have meetings on Sunday afternoon. ... They can do what they want, it doesn't bother me".

He told reporters he was also not afraid of anyone going into the meeting.

“I have lived three score and almost ten and my Jack hasn't been hanged as yet, why should it be hung now? By whom? The American Chuck Blazer? His American lawyer John Collins? Give me a break. I am not the faint-hearted you know ... Let them go ahead, I have no problem with that. But I'll tell you something, I will hold my head high to the very end because, I repeat here again, I am not guilty of a single iota of wrongdoing."

Warner also faces another probe into allegations of unethical behaviour in a British lawmakers' hearing this month.

The former head of England's failed 2018 World Cup bid, Lord David Triesman, has alleged Warner asked for money to build an education centre and buy 2010 World Cup broadcast rights for Haiti.

An e-mail from Warner to Triesman in February 2010 was released by the BBC where Warner urged the FA to contribute towards the cost of purchasing the rights to show World Cup matches on giant screens in Haiti.

Warner said all these attacks and allegations against him were driven by envy.

"I am in FIFA for 29 consecutive years, I was the first black man to have ever been in FIFA at this level. I have come from the smallest country ever to be on the FIFA executive committee. There is no country smaller than Trinidad and Tobago on FIFA's executive committee. I am wielding more power in FIFA now than sometimes even the president, I must be the envy of others.

"In terms of football history my country does not even have one and therefore there are people out there who would ask why should I be there and what is my role, so I become the butt of all kinds of attacks and I accept this without any kind of anger because I understand people, this is the nature of human beings," he added.

Warner said both England and the United States were upset with him because they did not win the bid to host the World Cups.

"The US is accusing me of not working hard enough for them. What more you want me to do, go in the people house and sleep with them? I can't do that! I did for the US all I could have done..

"This is an election time in FIFA, it happens every time ... especially when there is a contender," Warner said, noting that the last time FIFA President Sepp Blatter had a contender was in 2002 and then too, there was heated controversy.

"FIFA politics is far bigger than the politics you have seen here. It makes our politics here look like child's play. Now at the end of the day, if even the worst happens, I'm still president of CONCACAF," he added.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 04:02:16 PM »
he doing this for soo long,he started to feel invincible and got careless !!!!!

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 07:15:59 PM »
NEXTFOOTBALL.COM:
http://www.nextfootball.com/p/54/chaos--corruption--civil-war-...-fifa-rocked-by-new-allegations

Chaos, corruption, civil war ... Fifa rocked by new allegations

Fifa presidential candidate Mohamed bin Hammam has denied bribery allegations. Photograph: Shirley Bahadur/AP

World football's governing body, already reeling from a string of corruption claims, has been thrown into fresh turmoil by serious bribery allegations concerning two of the most senior figures on Fifa's executive committee.

Fifa announced that the longstanding executive committee member Chuck Blazer had accused Mohamed bin Hammam, the challenger toSepp Blatter in the presidential election next week, of offering bribes to members of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) at a meeting organised by the Fifa vice‑president, Jack Warner, two weeks ago.

Bin Hammam and Warner immediately denied the allegations – understood to include claims that large amounts of cash were offered – from witnesses who have signed affadavits, and accused Blatter of using them as a "tactic" to win the election.

A file of evidence compiled by a Chicago attorney who also sits on Fifa's legal committee contains claims that members of the CFU were offered thousands of dollars in cash for "development projects" by Warner on behalf of Bin Hammam.

Fifa said an investigation into the allegations would be undertaken by its ethics committee immediately. It is due to consider the charges at a hastily convened meeting on Sunday.

The new claims, which mean that nine of Fifa's 24 executive committee members have been accused of corruption in recent months, threaten to throw next week's Fifa congress into chaos and raise question marks over whether the election will even go ahead. Bin Hammam immediately accused Blatter of using the charges to undermine his chances. Although Blatter has won the support of five of the six confederations that make up Fifa, previous elections have shown the potential for dramatic last minute vote switching by the 208 members with a vote, often amid allegations of impropriety.

That the allegations were made by Blazer, himself a key member of the Concacaf confederation that has afforded Warner a king-making role in successive Fifa presidential elections and World Cup bids – despite persistent allegations of corruption – adds another layer of intrigue.

There was a widespread suspicion among members of the USA's failed 2022 bid that Warner had in fact voted against them in December. As in England, in the wake of their bid humiliation there was widespread outrage from the US media amid calls for reform and Blazer may have come under pressure to act. The four accused – Bin Hammam and Warner plus the CFU officials Debbie Minguell and Jason Sylvester – have been invited to respond to the allegations by Friday and to attend a hearing in Zurich on Sunday. Bin Hammam said he is confident he would be absolved of all charges. "This has been a difficult and painful day for me today. But, if there is even the slightest justice in the world, these allegations will vanish in the wind," he said. "This move is little more than a tactic being used by those who have no confidence in their own ability to emerge successfully from the Fifa presidential election. I completely deny any allegations of wrongdoing either intentionally or unknowingly while I was in the Caribbean.."

Warner responded: "I am not aware of any wrongdoing on my part and I shall listen to allegations made and respond accordingly. It is interesting to note the timing of these allegations and [that] the hearing [is] scheduled days before the Fifa presidential elections."

The meeting of the CFU took place between 10‑11 May, after Bin Hammam was unable to travel to the earlier Concacaf congress in Miami, at which Blatter was present, due to visa issues.

Blatter had left the congress convinced he had done enough to secure all 35 votes on offer if Warner managed to ensure that the whole confederation voted en bloc. But the US had already made clear that it would consider its decision independently. "We'll make a decision that's in the best interests of US Soccer and what we think is good for the game internationally," said president Sunil Gulati.

After the CFU meeting Warner, who was one of four Fifa executives accused by the former FA chairman Lord Triesman of seeking inducements during the 2018 bid campaign andhas been embroiled in repeated controversies over tickets, urged the 30 associations present to ignore any future allegations. "You will hear the president of Asia came here for your vote and he gave you, a Benz for you, a Benz for you and a Benz for you," he said. "When you go back home, you hold your head high and you will tell your members that you were not part of this international nonsense."

Blatter will see the bribery claims as beneficial to his chances of winning the election but the farcical situation will further increase pressure on Fifa from governments and the public for wholesale reform.

"It is difficult to comment from England's viewpoint in advance of James Dingemans report [into earlier corruption made by former chairman Lord Triesman] commisioned by the FA," said the sports minister Hugh Robertson last night. "But it does emphasies once again the need for much greater transparency and governance reform at Fifa."

Last October two executive committee members – Amos Adamu and Reynald Temarii – were suspended following a Sunday Times investigation and four more – Warner, Nicolás Leoz, Ricardo Teixeira and Worawi Makudi – were this month accused by the former FA chairman Lord Triesman of seeking inducements during the 2018 bidding process.

John Collins, a Chicago attorney and a member of Fifa's legal committee, prepared the dossier after being approached by concerned CFU officials. He last night told the Guardian: "I conducted the investigation and prepared a report and sent it to Fifa at Chuck Blazer's direction. It is a thorough report."

Alongside signed affadavits from CFU officials present, it is understood that the report contains photographic evidence.

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 07:56:57 PM »
the can of worm has just open

1]; } ?>