March 28, 2024, 03:10:53 PM

Author Topic: The Machel Cedenio Thread  (Read 33200 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Been chiming on this since last year. It's time to let the stallion out of the stable.

Next year he has Penn Relays, CAC Seniors, World Relay Champs (Bahamas), Commonwealth Games to show his mettle.

Caution: He needs to improve his running posture by running taller to control how his leg rotates outward when he runs, striking with the ball of his feet instead of his heel when he strides, and experimenting by going out a little faster in the first 200m to better balance his race, instead of leaving it so late every time. While that strategy works against juniors that will no longer work when he moves up and mixes it up with the big boys.

His competition from Carifta, World Youth and World Juniors have moved on and are benefitting from increased strength and "big boy" experience - Javon Francis (45.19/44.0 split), Arman Hall (44.8x) and Stephen Newbold (44.2 split at Penn Relays).

A dose of private sector sponsorship FROM NOW (not later) would be nice if someone can get it into their heads to help athletes on their way UP.
Yeah, we need more people that are willing to give their financial support to our athletes from the earlies when it is most needed rather than the wagonist behaviour that seems to be popular after success has been achieved.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Been chiming on this since last year. It's time to let the stallion out of the stable.

Next year he has Penn Relays, CAC Seniors, World Relay Champs (Bahamas), Commonwealth Games to show his mettle.

Caution: He needs to improve his running posture by running taller to control how his leg rotates outward when he runs, striking with the ball of his feet instead of his heel when he strides, and experimenting by going out a little faster in the first 200m to better balance his race, instead of leaving it so late every time. While that strategy works against juniors that will no longer work when he moves up and mixes it up with the big boys.

His competition from Carifta, World Youth and World Juniors have moved on and are benefitting from increased strength and "big boy" experience - Javon Francis (45.19/44.0 split), Arman Hall (44.8x) and Stephen Newbold (44.2 split at Penn Relays).

A dose of private sector sponsorship FROM NOW (not later) would be nice if someone can get it into their heads to help athletes on their way UP.

What he needs is a chance to show what training under kirani's coach's  direction has done for him .... He has consistently faster times than Jehue Gordon all season ...so go figure ..

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Just in case anyone missed the result of the national champs this year here is the result for the 400 metres men

This competition served to select the teams to represent us at the worlds.. Cedenio was first reserve according to the results ...so I take it he must have been ill or injured to have been omitted by the coaching staff.

Hasely Crawford Stadium - Site License
    2013 T&T NAAA SAGICOR GENERAL/NGC SNR CHAMPS - 6/21/2013 to 6/23/2013   
                          Live Results @ ttnaaa.org                         
                    HASELY CRAWFORD STADIUM P.O.S. T'DAD                     

Event 3  Men 400 Meter Dash
==========================================================================   
          NR: ! 44.21  3/8/1992    Ian Morris                               
                45.28  WCA                                                   
                45.60  WCB                                                   
                45.90  CAC                                                   
    Name              Year Team                    Finals        H# Points   
==========================================================================   
Finals                                                                       
  1 Lendore, Deon       92 Abilene Wildcats         45.29 WCB     2  10     
  2 Solomon, Jarrin     86 Memphis Pioneers         45.34 WCB     2   8     
  3 Quow, Renny         87 Zenith                   45.65 CAC     2   6     
  4 Gordon, Lalonde     88 Tigers                   45.67 CAC     2   5     
  5 Cedenio, MACHEL     95 Simplex                  46.01         2   4     
  6 Roudette, Carlyle   91 Abilene Wildcats         46.67         2   3     
  7 James, Stephon      83 Guyana                   47.06         1   2     
  8 Richards, Jereem    94 Abilene Wildcats         47.25         2   1     
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 02:54:29 PM by Socapro »

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
the decision to send machel cedenio to train in Grenada was a waist of time kids he use to beat are now beating him the coach's in Grenada are not better than the coach's in T&T.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
the decision to send machel cedenio to train in Grenada was a waist of time kids he use to beat are now beating him the coach's in Grenada are not better than the coach's in T&T.
Good point but I wasn't aware that Cedenio was training full time in Greenz.
Maybe its time to bring him back home and put him back on his line of progression.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Maybe its time to bring him back home and put him back on his line of progression.

His trip to Grenada was reported in the papers earlier this year, but it was a short stint before the Carifta Games that he mentioned was very helpful, and well we saw the results of that. So maybe he needs to go to Grenada more often, or stay in T&T and train with Jehue so they both benefit.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

His trip to Grenada was reported in the papers earlier this year, but it was a short stint before the Carifta Games that he mentioned was very helpful, and well we saw the results of that. So maybe he needs to go to Grenada more often, or stay in T&T and train with Jehue so they both benefit.
Or in other words Ffisback doesn't know what he is talking about.
Thanks for clariying!  :beermug:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:00:56 PM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

When cock get teeth!!!

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

We all need clarification from time to time, myself included:
FROM THE GUARDIAN February, 2012 (I was off by a year), so who knows I may be wrong!!

Cedenio gears up in Grenada

Double junior CARIFTA gold medallist Machel Cedenio is undergoing a two-week training stint in Grenada in preparation for his track and field season. Cedenio, who won the boys under-17 200m and 400m double at the CARIFTA Games in Montego Bay, Jamaica last year, has been training with the Gouyave-based Speed Zone Track Club at the Cuthbert Peters' Park with the club coach Albert Joseph. Joseph was coach of 2011 World Championships 400m gold medallist Grenadian Kirani James.

In 2011 Cedenio just missed a medal at the World Youth Championships in Lille, France last July, finishing fourth in a personal best of 46.89 seconds (a national under-17 record) and then anchored the national boys medley relay team to sixth. Cedenio also won silver in the CARIFTA boys under-17 4x100 and 4X100 relays and was part of T&T’s 2011 Pan American Junior Championships men’s 4x400 silver medal winning team. The Southern Academy student is a member of the local Quantum Athletic Club under head coach Trevor James.

The lanky sprinter won the men’s 100m (11.02) and was second in the 200m (22.24) and this year’s NAAA Fourth Development meet at the Ato Boldon Stadium on February 11.

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile

Do you really believe he will say his trip to Greneda  was not helpful please don't make me laugh the clowns responsible for him going to train in Greneda needs to be taken behind the shed and given a padding.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

We all need clarification from time to time, myself included:
FROM THE GUARDIAN February, 2012 (I was off by a year), so who knows I may be wrong!!

Cedenio gears up in Grenada

Double junior CARIFTA gold medallist Machel Cedenio is undergoing a two-week training stint in Grenada in preparation for his track and field season. Cedenio, who won the boys under-17 200m and 400m double at the CARIFTA Games in Montego Bay, Jamaica last year, has been training with the Gouyave-based Speed Zone Track Club at the Cuthbert Peters' Park with the club coach Albert Joseph. Joseph was coach of 2011 World Championships 400m gold medallist Grenadian Kirani James.

In 2011 Cedenio just missed a medal at the World Youth Championships in Lille, France last July, finishing fourth in a personal best of 46.89 seconds (a national under-17 record) and then anchored the national boys medley relay team to sixth. Cedenio also won silver in the CARIFTA boys under-17 4x100 and 4X100 relays and was part of T&T’s 2011 Pan American Junior Championships men’s 4x400 silver medal winning team. The Southern Academy student is a member of the local Quantum Athletic Club under head coach Trevor James.

The lanky sprinter won the men’s 100m (11.02) and was second in the 200m (22.24) and this year’s NAAA Fourth Development meet at the Ato Boldon Stadium on February 11.
Ok cool!
We will have to get an updated report on Cedenio to confirm if he has been training most of his time this year in Grenada then.
Whatever the scenario some of his junior rivals like Javon Francis from Jamaica have progressed this year much faster than Cedenio has.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 10:16:31 PM by Socapro »

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

When cock get teeth!!!

As grown men and women, many of us may now have former school friends in high places (Marketing Directors, CEOs, Managing Directors, etc) whether at home or abroad.

So with the right level of persuasion in business terms (win-win) it is not impossible to convince someone who is a decision-maker with a budget in a large organization to make the investment. Someone who may also have reason to trust your judgment as a friend.

Check your network and try to help out a few of these young stars nah? That way they won't have to take a chance and go to the US if they don't really want to, but develop right at home.

We Trinis by nature are copycats, so if one sets a trend by making an investment that works out, others will follow. It just takes one influential business leader with an open mind, who may have been involved in sports in the past, or currently as a hobby (triathlons, hashing, etc).

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

When cock get teeth!!!

As grown men and women, many of us may now have former school friends in high places (Marketing Directors, CEOs, Managing Directors, etc) whether at home or abroad.

So with the right level of persuasion in business terms (win-win) it is not impossible to convince someone who is a decision-maker with a budget in a large organization to make the investment. Someone who may also have reason to trust your judgment as a friend.

Check your network and try to help out a few of these young stars nah? That way they won't have to take a chance and go to the US if they don't really want to, but develop right at home.

We Trinis by nature are copycats, so if one sets a trend by making an investment that works out, others will follow. It just takes one influential business leader with an open mind, who may have been involved in sports in the past, or currently as a hobby (triathlons, hashing, etc).
Good suggestion!!  :beermug:

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cedenio teams up with Brauman group
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2014, 08:37:36 PM »
Cedenio teams up with Brauman group
Published: Monday, April 21, 2014 (T&T Guardian)

Machel Cedenio

FORT-DE-FRANCE— Trinidadian sprinter Machel Cedenio has become the latest in a long list of Caribbean athletes to link up with the Lance Brauman training group.

Following his Under-20 boys 400m victory at the CARIFTA Games here on Saturday night, Cedenio confirmed he was working with Brauman, who has over the years conditioned the likes of Jamaicans Veronica Campbell-Brown and Nickel Ashmeade and Trinidad & Tobago’s Kelly-Ann Baptiste.

“I am training in Florida now, working with Lance Brauman,” said Cedenio.

Brauman has also coached former World sprint champion, American Tyson Gay.

Cedenio broke the news about his link with Brauman when he was asked about his new running style, now highlighted by his faster than usual start.

“When you are in a new program your new coach would normally change up things a little bit,” he said in reference to his improved start.

Cedenio won his age group 400 metres final in 45.95 seconds, to beat Jamaica’s Nathon Allen into second and fellow Trinidadian Asa Guevara into third.

“I felt good, but I would have done better with a little more competition,” he said.

“This is my last Carifta, so I just came here to have fun. I wasn’t a 100 per cent coming in, but I got the victory and I am happy for that.”

Cedenio’s main goal, however, is the World Junior Championships in Eugene, United States in July.

He was a finalist at the last World Junior Championships in Barcelona two years ago.

guardian
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 04:26:53 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cedenio teams up with Brauman group
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2014, 09:07:05 PM »
Machel Cedenio (TnT) takes the men's 400m in 45.23 ahead of Torrin Lawrence (USA) 45.34, Dane Hyatt (Jam) 45.70 and Daundre Barnady (Canada) 45.92 #CaymanInvitational2014

Machel Cedenio sets TnT junior 400m record 45.23 at Cayman Invitational
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7N1DDeAy6QA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7N1DDeAy6QA</a>

Machel Cedenio (TTO) 45:13 on 400m World Junior Champ
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bum-d3pSENg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bum-d3pSENg</a>

IAAF World Junior Championships 2014 - Macheltri CEDENIO TTO 400m Men Final Gold
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/G8np-CUsVZA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/G8np-CUsVZA</a>

BElieve BEcome BE Strong - Machel Cedenio
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/pxPRqr1pSto" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/pxPRqr1pSto</a>
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 04:37:33 PM by Socapro »

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
Re: Cedenio teams up with Brauman group
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2014, 06:26:51 PM »
Someone got a little carried away with the script. Most accomplished TnT junior athlete ever?

DARREL BROWN. He has a case for #2, or #3.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cedenio ends year as World top junior 400m runner
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2014, 02:57:19 AM »
Cedenio ends year as World top junior 400m runner
Published: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 (T&T Guardian)

Machel Cedenio

World Junior champion Machel Cedenio ended his junior (under 20) campaign as the world’s top 400m junior sprinter for 2014.

Despite racing sparingly due to injury, the lanky Point Fortin resident set world leading times almost every time he stepped on the track. He started his year by racing the first of his world leading times when he clocked 45.95 to retain his Carifta boys Under-20 400m title in Martinique in April.

Cedenio’s next run was even better when he won the Cayman Islands Invitational men’s one lap event on May 7 against his seniors, lowering his world leading time to 45.23 and also breaking the national junior mark of 45.74 set by Renny Quow in 2006.

The six-time Carifta champion came close to a new national mark when he took the CAC Junior crown in 45.28. He went to the 2014 World Juniors Champs in Eugene, Orgeon, USA in July as the overwhelming favourite and duly delivered with a dominant run to capture the gold medal in yet another world-leading and national junior clocking of 45.13. Cedenio’s winning time pushed the Florida-based sprinter up to joint 21st on the all-time junior lists along with triple Olympic gold medalist and five-time World champion Jeremy Wariner of the USA.

His 45.13 clocking is also the 33rd best for the year in the senior rankings. In addition to holding the fastest time on the planet, the Presentation College, San Fernando graduate has four of the six quickest clockings for the year and has dipped under the 46 second barrier on seven occasions over the last twelve months.

Cedenio showed his world-class potential two years earlier when he was fifth at the 2012 World Juniors finals as a 16 year old. That year, he also qualified for this country’s Olympic team as a reserve on the men’s 4x400m team and ended the season as the top Youth quarter-miler for 2012 again dominating the rankings with eight of the top ten times.

Cedenio is the lone T&T athlete ranked in the top ten on the latest IAAF World Junior rankings. However, he anchored the Carifta’s boys Under-20 4x400m team, which included Asa Guevara, Breon Mullings and Nathan Farinha to victory to the fourth best time in the world (3:06.02).

Triple World Junior finalist Jonathan Farinha is the next best placed local at 11th in the men’s 100m standings. Fellow World Junior finalists Reubin Walters (men’s 110m hurdles-99cm) and Shakeil Waithe (men’s javelin) are at 13th in their events.

Farinha sits outside the top ten in the men’s sprint with his personal best (pb) run of 10.25 which he set in winning the national junior title at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port-of-Spain, on May 31.

John-Mark Constantine is at 25th with a pb of 10.35 which he established in finishing runner-up to Farinha at the National Junior Champs. Farinha is at 16th in the men’s 200m following another personal run of 20.68 set in taking the National Junior half lap crown. At the World Juniors the QRC student was eighth in the 100m and 200m finals and led the men’s 4x100m team of Constantine, Holland Cabara, Micah Ballantyne and Akanni Hislop to sixth place in the finals.

Walters was 13th in the men’s sprints hurdles finals in a pb of 13.52. The final was a historic one as the winner, Wilhem Belocian of France, took the gold in a new world junior record of 12.99 with Jamaican Tyler Mason in second in 13.06 (also under the previous world junior mark).

Walters is also at 29th in the men’s 400m hurdles with a pb run of 51.46 at the Twightlight Games at the Hasely Crawford on May 02. Waithe, the Carifta and CAC Junior Champion, sits at number 13 on the men’s javelin listing with his pb throw of 72.75 in taking the national open title on June 22.

Among the women, Zakiya Denoon is the best ranked at 15th in the women’s 100m with her 11.41 pb clocking in capturing the national junior title on May 31. Aaliyah Telesford is at 23rd with 11.47 while Carifta girls under 20 champion Kayelle Clarke is 25th in the women’s half lap event with 23.44. Denoon, Telesford, Clarke combined with Maurica Preito to clocked the third fastest time in the world in the women’s 4x100m running 44.23 to take the CAC Junior gold. The quartet missed out on a medal at the World Juniors finished fourth.

Cedenio, Denoon and Waithe are the top junior performers in their events in the Central American and Caribbean (CAC) region. Walters and Nicholas Landeau (1:49.51) are at two in the sprint hurdles and the men’s 800m respectively. Kayelle Clarke is third in the women’s 200m. Jonathan Farinha is at number three in the 100m and five in the 200. Akila McShine (13.80-pb) is fifth in the women’s 100m hurdles.

Aaron Lewis (13.85 sec-pb) and Portious Warren (14.47m-pb) sit at sixth in the men’s sprints hurdles and the women’s shot put respectively. In the men’s shot put Shervorne Worrell (16.22m) and Kenejah Williams (16.06m) are eighth and ninth respectively. While in the discus Williams is at 12th (47.17m) and Worrell 20th (45.81).

In the World Youth (Under 18) rankings, two time Carifta and CAC Junior long jump champion Andwuelle Wright is the top rated T&T competitor at 17th in the boys long jump with a pb of 7.42m set in taking third at the Hampton Games at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on May 17.

Youth Olympic finalist Jeminise Parris is at 18th on the girls 100m hurdles (76.2cm) performance list. Parris clocked 13.62 sec (pb) in the heats of the Youth Olympics in Nanjing China on Aug 20 before finished fifth in the finals three days later in 13.76. Youth Olympic Games boys 200m fourth place finisher Akanni Hislop missed on a place on the rankings. The 16 year old clocked 21.28 sec in the heats of the men’s 200m at this year’s National Championships and when on to capture the B finals beating the field despite being the youngest.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:48:57 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Machel Cedenio Thread
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2015, 02:48:10 PM »
Bump!

As his 2015 season and first season as an official senior athlete gets going, let keep this thread uptodate with his activities.  :beermug:

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2015, 06:27:13 PM »
Bump!

As his 2015 season and first season as an official senior athlete gets going, let keep this thread uptodate with his activities.  :beermug:

Where should we post his updates? In the outdoor season thread OR in this thread OR in the T&T athletes at home and abroad? I just asking lol
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 06:28:46 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2015, 06:35:57 PM »
Bump!

Where should we post his updates? In the outdoor season thread OR in this thread OR in the T&T athletes at home and abroad? I just asking lol

Anywhere you decide.

I only made a suggestion but I am no dictator.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2015, 06:39:56 PM »
Bump!

Anywhere you decide.

I only made a suggestion but I am no dictator.

I will post T&T athletes updates in the outdoor thread and reserve this thread for special videos and interviews of Cedenio. As for the T&T home and abroad thread lol I dunno about that... every thread have posts of our athletes performing home or abroad.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 06:46:38 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
BLAZING OPENERS: Thompson, Bledman, Cedenio sizzle in US
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2015, 05:43:10 PM »
BLAZING OPENERS
Thompson, Bledman, Cedenio sizzle in US

By Kwame Laurence kwame.laurence@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: Apr 19, 2015 at 10:32 PM ECT

FAST STARTS: T&T sprinters, Richard "Torpedo" Thompson, left, and Keston Bledman.

Richard “Torpedo” Thompson, Keston Bledman and Machel Cedenio recorded fast openers at meets in the United States, on Saturday.
Competing in the 100 metres dash for the first time this season, Thompson stopped the clock at 10.04 seconds for victory in section one at the Alumni Gold meet, in Louisiana.

With that clocking, Thompson shot into second spot on the 2015 world performance list, behind American Trayvon Bromell (10.02). Another Trinidad and Tobago athlete, Texas State University student Aaron George was seventh in section two and 14th overall in the Alumni Gold men’s 100m in a wind-assisted 10.64.

Thompson had a busy day at the Alumni Gold meet, finishing fifth in the 200m in a windy 21.01 seconds, and running the second leg for third-placed Tiger Olympians in the 4x100m relay. Thompson’s team clocked 40.03.

Steve Waithe was also in winners’ row in Louisiana. Appropriately, the T&T/Pennsylvania State University athlete struck gold in the LeJuan Simon men’s triple jump event with a wind-aided 15.73m effort. Waithe’s best legal jump in the competition was 15.45m.

Simon was a T&T athlete, the highpoint of his career coming in 2004 when he represented the country at the Athens Olympics. The former Louisiana State University (LSU) student died in 2008 at the age of 27 as a result of complications from primary pulmonary hypertension.

At the National Training Center (NTC) Pure Athletics Sprint Elite Meet 1, in Florida, Bledman bolted to victory in the men’s 100m dash in a windy 9.94 seconds. In the preliminary round, the T&T sprinter clocked a windy 9.97 in his first 100m race for 2015. He won the heat, advancing to the final as the fastest qualifier.

400m World Junior Champ Machel Cedenio opens with new PB.

Cedenio was on fire in his 400m season-opener, the 2014 world junior champion winning the men’s one-lap race in a personal best 45.09 seconds—good enough for sixth spot on the 2015 world performance list.

Kelly-Ann Baptiste got home in a wind-assisted 22.91 seconds to bag bronze in the women’s 200m. And Wayne Davis II topped the men’s 110m hurdles “B” race in 13.66.

In Texas, Deon Lendore clocked 45.14 seconds to grab gold in the Michael Johnson Classic men’s 400m event. The Texas A&M University quartermiler is seventh on this year’s world performance list.

Another T&T athlete, Janeil Bellille finished eighth in the women’s 400m in 55.08.

At the Georgia Tech Invitational, Emanuel Mayers won the men’s 400m hurdles in 50.39 seconds, and Ade Alleyne-Forte was second in the men’s 400m “B” race in 47.59.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 03:04:13 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Like Ah Boss ...Marvellous Machel clocks 44.36
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2015, 03:04:54 PM »
Like Ah Boss
Marvellous Machel clocks 44.36

Published on May 17, 2015, 10:00 pm AST (T&T Express)

World Junior 400m champion Machel Cedenio after setting new PB at Cayman Invitational

Machel Cedenio marked his admission to the sub-45 club with a tremendous display of one-lap sprinting at the Cayman Invitational, in George Town, Grand Cayman, on Saturday night.

Cedenio produced a jaw-dropping 44.36 seconds run for a commanding victory in the men's 400 metres event. With that clocking, the 19-year-old quartermiler joined Deon Lendore in second spot on the all-time Trinidad and Tobago list.

Only national record holder Ian Morris has run faster. But with Lendore running 44.41 on Saturday afternoon, and Cedenio going five-hundredths of a second faster less than four hours later, Morris' 23-year-old T&T standard of 44.21 seconds could be under serious threat this season.

Cedenio, the 11th T&T athlete to join the sub-45 club, is now second on the 2015 world performance list, behind Grenadian world-leader Kirani James (44.22). Lendore is in third spot.

Ahead of the Cayman Invitational, Cedenio was 12th on the all-time T&T men's 400m list at 45.09. In 44.36 seconds, the Florida-based athlete leapfrogged nine quality quartermilers, including 2012 Olympic bronze medallist Lalonde Gordon (44.52), who slips to fourth, and 1964 Olympic silver medallist Wendell Mottley (44.82), who is down to seventh.

On Saturday, Cedenio successfully defended his Cayman Invitational title, breaking his 45.23 seconds meet record in the process. The 2014 world junior champion was unchallenged for gold, Jamaican Javon Francis finishing a distant second in 45.54 seconds. Bronze went to American Aldrich Bailey in 45.63.

T&T's Josanne Lucas was fifth in the women's 100m hurdles in 13.76 seconds. Romona Modeste clocked 54.47 for sixth spot in the women's 400m. And Jonathan Farinha, competing on his 19th birthday, finished seventh in the men's 200m in 21.21.

In Florida, Kelly-Ann Baptiste was the fastest sprinter on show in the Pure Athletics Sprint Elite Meet 2 women's 100m preliminaries. The 2011 World Championship bronze medallist topped heat one in 11 seconds flat, but did not face the starter in the final.

In the 200m event, Baptiste earned bronze in a wind-assisted 23.05 seconds.

Deborah John won the women's 100m hurdles "B" final in a wind-aided 13.56 seconds. Her 13.52 preliminary round run was also windy.

And Mikel Thomas clocked 13.50 seconds to secure fourth spot in the men's 110m hurdles final.

At yesterday's Shanghai Diamond League meet, in China, T&T track star Michelle-Lee Ahye finished third in the women's 100m dash in 11.13 seconds. Among the sprinters Ahye beat to the line were Jamaican Olympic champions, Veronica Campbell-Brown and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce. Campbell-Brown was fourth in 11.22, while Fraser-Pryce was fifth in 11.25.

Nigeria's Blessing Okagbare won in 10.98 seconds, while second spot went to American Tori Bowie (11.07).

T&T thrower Cleopatra Borel produced an 18.32 metres effort to finish sixth in the women's shot put. China's Gong Lijiao topped the field with a world-leading 20.23m throw.

Renny Quow finished eighth in the men's 400m, the T&T quartermiler getting home in 46.65 seconds. James emerged victorious in the one-lap race, the Grenadian world-leader stopping the clock at 44.66. Americans Tony McQuay (45.54) and LaShawn Merritt (45.58) were second and third, respectively.

Late on Saturday, Kayelle Clarke earned more precious metal at the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Outdoor Track and Field Championships, in Kansas, USA.

Clarke, who won the women's 100m title earlier in the day, added 200m bronze. The New Mexico Junior College sprinter produced a wind-assisted 24.30 seconds run. Western Texas College student, Marissa Gale was seventh in 24.76.

South Plains College athlete, Jereem Richards, winner of the men's 400m title, finished fourth in the 200m final in 21.16 seconds.

South Plains won the men's and women's team titles.

Theon Lewis claimed bronze in the California Community College State Championship men's 400m event. Lewis clocked 47.67 seconds, while his College of the Sequoias teammate and fellow-T&T athlete, Ohdel James got home in 47.78 to finish fourth. In the 200m, Lewis was fifth in 21.68 seconds.

In Texas, Reyare Thomas grabbed gold in the Hardin-Simmons Twilight meet women's 200m event. The T&T sprinter completed the half-lap race in 23.92 seconds.

At the Hoka One One Distance Classic, in California, Jamaal James finished seventh in the men's 800m "B" race in one minute, 52.83 seconds.

And two Saturdays ago, at the Occidental Invitational, in California, Magnolia Howell clocked 54.37 seconds for fifth spot in the women's 400m.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:57:43 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cedenio sets blistering 400m personal best
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2015, 03:05:34 PM »
Cedenio sets blistering 400m personal best
Monday, May 18 2015 (T&T Newsday)

Machel Cedenio right setting new 400m PB of 44.36 at 2015 Cayman Invitational

Trinidad and Tobago’s Machel Cedenio tore up the tracks at the Truman Bodden Stadium in George Town, Cayman Islands, on Saturday, when he blazed to an impressive sub-45 victory in the Men’s 400m event at the Cayman Invitational.

The reigning World Junior 400m champion clocked a speedy 44.36 seconds to retain his crown in fine style, and in the process, recorded his fastest time for the 2015 season thus far by significantly improving from his 45.09s performance in April (Florida). Additionally, Cedenio also became the second fastest 400m man in the world for 2015 as he instantly shot up the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) senior outdoor rankings. The youngster now sits just ahead of compatriot Deon Lendore (Texas A&M), who trails closely behind on the IAAF rankings in third place following his golden showing (44.41s) at the Southeastern Championships (SEC) in Mississippi on Saturday. The TT pair trail obvious leader and world record holder, Kirani James (44.22s) who has been the fastest this year.

Cedenio’s golden run also saw him set a new meet record, removing his own 2014 clocking of 45.23s. Following his Cayman triumph, Cedenio was startled with his overall time. He said after, that he was expecting a faster time, (than his season best) but not 44.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZV1fqHMzKCc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZV1fqHMzKCc</a>

“I wasn’t expecting to run that fast,” he explained. “My coach was like, ‘it’s your second 400m of the season, so just pretend it’s practice and go out there and execute a good race,’” the former Carifta Games champion added.

“Both my coaches were shocked, they were like, ‘I told you to go out there and run 45.5 and you come back with 44.3’, it just happened,” said an elated Cedenio. Jamaican Jovan Francis (45.54s) settled for silver while American Aldrich Bailey (45.63s) finished third.

At the meet, this country was also represented by sprinters Romona Modeste (400m), Jameel Joseph (400m hurdles), Josanne Lucas (100m hurdles) and Jonathan Farinha (200m) but non were able to secure a podium place.

Modeste placed sixth (54.47s) in the Women’s 400m while Joseph was seventh (56.56s) in the hurdles. Lucas also finished fifth (13.76s) and Farinha (21.21s) seventh.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 03:15:02 PM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2015, 03:28:14 PM »
Impressive!

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2015, 10:01:17 PM »
Had some free time and decided to play with MS Excel.
Interesting factoids to note and take notice how great Machel Cedenio is and hopefully will progress to become:

44.36 is the tied 200th fastest time ever recorded in the 400m as of last weekend.

Of all 400m sprinters who have run 44.36 or faster,
here are the youngest by age through age 22, that they first achieved 44.36 or faster:

18 years, 11 months - Kirani James - 44.36
19 years, 2 months - Steve Lewis - 44.11 (note Lewis ran 43.87 2 months later)
19 years, 11 months - Machel Cedenio - 44.36
20 years, 2 months - Lashawn Merritt - 44.34
20 years, 7 months - Jeremy Wariner - 44.00
20 years, 10 months - Larry James - 44.19A
21 years, 3 months - Roberto Hernandez - 44.22A
21 years, 5 months - Derrick Brew - 44.29
21 years, 7 months - Lee Evans - 44.06A
21 years, 7 months - Deon Lendore - 44.36
21 years, 7 months - Danny Everett - 44.34
21 years, 8 months - Antonio Pettigrew - 44.27
21 years, 9 months - Jerome Young - 44.19
21 years, 11 months - Quincy Watts - 44.00
21 years, 11 months - Tyree Washington - 44.29

All of the above have been Olympic or World 400m and/or 4x400m champions or medallists (with a few obvious disqualifications - Young and Pettigrew).

Pretty impressive company nevertheless (Kirani James and Steve Lewis are the only others to achieve this time before their 20th birthday), which augers well for both Machel and Deon Lendore.

Of note, Michael Johnson first broke 44.36 at age 22 years, 11 months running 44.25 in 1990.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:34:27 PM by STMB »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2015, 12:43:45 AM »
Had some free time and decided to play with MS Excel.
Interesting factoids to note and take notice how great Machel Cedenio is and hopefully will progress to become:

44.36 is the tied 200th fastest time ever recorded in the 400m as of last weekend.

Of all 400m sprinters who have run 44.36 or faster,
here are the youngest by age through age 22, that they first achieved 44.36 or faster:

18 years, 11 months - Kirani James - 44.36
19 years, 2 months - Steve Lewis - 44.11 (note Lewis ran 43.87 2 months later)
19 years, 11 months - Machel Cedenio - 44.36
20 years, 2 months - Lashawn Merritt - 44.34
20 years, 7 months - Jeremy Wariner - 44.00
20 years, 10 months - Larry James - 44.19A
21 years, 3 months - Roberto Hernandez - 44.22A
21 years, 5 months - Derrick Brew - 44.29
21 years, 7 months - Lee Evans - 44.06A
21 years, 7 months - Deon Lendore - 44.36
21 years, 7 months - Danny Everett - 44.34
21 years, 8 months - Antonio Pettigrew - 44.27
21 years, 9 months - Jerome Young - 44.19
21 years, 11 months - Quincy Watts - 44.00
21 years, 11 months - Tyree Washington - 44.29

All of the above have been Olympic or World 400m and/or 4x400m champions or medallists (with a few obvious disqualifications - Young and Pettigrew).

Pretty impressive company nevertheless (Kirani James and Steve Lewis are the only others to achieve this time before their 20th birthday), which augers well for both Machel and Deon Lendore.

Of note, Michael Johnson first broke 44.36 at age 22 years, 11 months running 44.25 in 1990.

One correction: Machel Cedenio was born on 6th September 1995 so he is 19 years, 8 months for the age he first ran 44.36 and not 19 years, 11 months.
Machel Cedenio will be 19 years & 11 months this coming August when he runs in Beijing (God willing).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 12:53:19 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
RELAY MISSION
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2015, 12:48:54 AM »
RELAY MISSION
Published on May 22, 2015, 12:01 am AST (T&T Express)

TOP CLASS: Machel Cedenio (centre), Nathan Farinha (left) & Asa Guevara (right) go through their paces during a training session at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain.
-Photo: ANISTO ALVES

Machel Cedenio has his sights set on men's 4x400 metres gold at the August 22-30 IAAF World Championships in Beijing, China.

Trinidad and Tobago's 4x4 squad is also expected to include Deon Lendore, 2012 Olympic 400m bronze medallist Lalonde Gordon, 2009 World Championship 400m bronze medallist Renny Quow, and Jarrin Solomon.

"We can look forward to the gold," Cedenio declared, in a Sportsmax cable television interview, on Tuesday. "Everybody is sub-45. I don't see why we shouldn't go out there and attack the gold. It's a pretty solid team.

"Once I go on the track, my mission is always to win gold. Once we put a strong team together, everybody communicates, and we have the team chemistry, we can go out there and win gold."

At the tender age of 19, Cedenio is already joint-fifth on the all-time Caribbean men's 400m performance list.

On Saturday, Cedenio clocked a personal best 44.36 seconds for a runaway victory at the Cayman Invitational. With that run, he jumped into joint-second on the all-time T&T list, alongside Lendore and behind national record holder Ian Morris (44.21).

"Basically, I just went out there and did my best. I did everything my coach told me to do. I went out there for the win. I know I've been running fast in practice. I was working out hard, killing all my workouts, and just went out there and did what I had to do. I just went out there and had fun.

"This is only my second open 400 for the season," Cedenio continued. "Coming here and dropping almost a second off my PB (personal best) is.

"We're just taking it step by step. Everything is in the hands of God. I just pray every day, and thank God for coming out there and running a PB."

Cedenio, Lendore and Great Britain's Iwan Thomas are tied for 38th on the all-time world list at 44.36.

Just four Caribbean quartermilers are ahead of Cedenio and Lendore.

Reigning Olympic champion Kirani James is the fastest-ever one-lap sprinter from this part of the world, the Grenadian boasting a personal best of 43.74 seconds for sixth spot overall. Cuban Roberto Hernandez is second best among Caribbean runners at 44.14.

Next on the list is Morris with his 23-year-old T&T record of 44.21 seconds. Cuba's 1976 400/800 Olympic champion, Alberto Juantorena is fourth on the all-time Caribbean list at 44.26.

Cedenio and Lendore are joint-fifth. Evergreen Bahamian Chris Brown and Jamaican Jermaine Gonzales are joint-seventh at 44.40 seconds. Bahamian Avard Moncur and Dominican Republic's Luguelin Santos, meanwhile, round off the top 10. They are tied for ninth at 44.45.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 09:54:48 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Merritt, Santos, Cedenio clash in Ponce Grand Prix
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2015, 11:07:20 AM »
Merritt, Santos, Cedenio clash in Ponce Grand Prix
By Anthony Foster in Puerto Rico
May 22nd, 2015 10:30am (TrackAlerts.com)

Machel Cedenio, Lashawn Merritt and Luguelin Santos will clash in Ponce Grand Prix 400m

Track and field fans, at this time of the season, should be willing to do whatever it takes to see Lashawn Merritt, Luguelin Santos and Machel Cedenio face-off.

These three, Merritt, who is the World Champion, as well as Santos, Olympic Games silver medallist, and Cedenio, the respective World Junior champion and second fastest man with 44.36 in 2015, will clash on Saturday at the Ponce Grand Prix Meeting here in Puerto Rico.

American Merritt season best is 44.80 and Santos, whose 45.28 is off the sub-45 barrier, should make chasing 19-year-old Cedenio in the men’s 400m the highlight of the Ninth staging of the Ponce Grand Prix.

Cedenio who opened his season with a personal best 45.09 at a small meet in Florida, but surprised himself with 44.36 at the Cayman Invitational on May 16, is the man to watch.

However, Merritt is a world-class athlete, and even though his season best stands at 44.80, can take down any field on any given day. Santos, on the other hand, is running himself into form.

Add to that line-up former World and Olympic champion Jeremy Wariner, who was instrumental in USA’s 4x400m victory in the Bahamas earlier this month.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 01:44:27 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Machel Cedenio wins in Ponce 400m, ...beats Merritt!
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2015, 07:43:40 PM »

Machel Cedenio focuses before start of his Ponce 400m race

Michel Cedenio defeats La Shawn Merrit in 400m at 9th Ponce Grand Prix IWC, Puerto Rico 2015
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tTnKzAJeR-4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tTnKzAJeR-4</a>

S.O.D.M. - Contractor License                    5/23/2015 - 7:07 PM
                          PONCE GRAND PRIX                           
                      IAAF WORLD CHALLENGE 2015                     
                 Paquito Montaner Stadium- Ponce, PR

Event 112  Men 400 Meter Dash
================================================================   
    Name                     Age Team                    Finals   
================================================================   
Section  3                                                         
  1 Machel Cedenio               Trinidad & Tobago        44.97   
  2 La Shawn Merrit              United States            45.42   
  3 Gustavo Cuesta               Dominican Republic       45.89   
  4 Nery Brenes                  Costa Rica               45.90   
  5 Luguelin Santos              Dominican Republic       46.19   
  6 Jeremy Wariner               United States            46.22   
  7 James Harris                 United States            46.28   
  8 Manteo Mitchell              United States            46.76   

Machel Cedenio poses for winner's photo just after Ponce 400m victory

Click link for Race Video & After Race Interview: https://rutube.ru/play/embed/7716625
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 03:44:22 PM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>