March 28, 2024, 02:40:01 PM

Author Topic: The Machel Cedenio Thread  (Read 33199 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Cedenio, Bledman capture gold in Puerto Rico
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2015, 01:53:17 AM »
Cedenio, Bledman capture gold in Puerto Rico
Monday, May 25 2015 (T&T Newsday)

Machel Cedenio & Keston Bledman each pose for winner's photo after competing at Ponce 2015.

THE TRINIDAD and Tobago duo of Machel Cedenio and Keston Bledman took gold in the men’s 400 metres and men’s 100m respectively on Saturday night at the Ponce Grand Prix in Puerto Rico.

Cedenio, the 2014 World Junior Championships gold medallist, set a personal best time of 44.36 a week earlier at the Cayman Invitational Meet — the second fastest time for the year thus far.

And the 19-year-old proved that his effort on May 16 was no fluke when he defeated a tough field, which included World Champion LaShawn Merritt, ex-World and Olympic gold medallist Jeremy Wariner and Olympic silver medallist Luguelin Santos.

In lane six, Cedenio established an early lead after 200 metres and he maintained his advantage over his rivals to cross the line in 44.97 seconds.

Merritt, who accelerated on the home stretch, got silver in 45.42 while Gustavo Cuesta of Dominican Republic finished third in 45.89.

Bledman has also started off his 2015 season in good form, having finished third in the men’s 100m at the first IAAF Diamond League meeting in Doha, Qatar on May 15.

On Saturday night, Bledman ran a slow 10.17 seconds to emerge victorious, followed by Harry Adams of the United States and Antoine Adams of St Kitts/Nevis.

Both Adams crossed the line in 10.25, but the American was adjudged as the runner-up following a photo-finish.

Also at the Ponce Grand Prix, Rose Mary Almanza of Cuba ran the year’s first sub-2 minutes in the 800 metres.

Almanza won the event in one minute 59.35 seconds, ahead of fellow Cuban Sahily Diago, who also went under the two-minute barrier, dipping to 1:59.91.

Simoya Campbell, getting closer to the World Championships qualifying mark of 2:01.00, registered a big personal best of 2:01.59.

Jessica Young of USA won the women’s 100m in 11.38 ahead of compatriots Tawanna Meadows (11.39) and Sholanda Solomon (11.44).

American women also dominated the 200m with Cambrya Jones (23.37) over Young (23.50) and Mahagony Jones (23.82).

Local hero Javier Culson suffered a rare defeat over 400m hurdles, beaten by Jeffery Gibson of the Bahamas (49.19) to Culson, who crashed into the final hurdle before he was pipped on the line, and whose time was 49.31.

In the men’s 110m hurdles, former world champion Jason Richardson (13.34) beat Cuba’s Yordin O’Farril (13.35). In the men’s 800m, Charles Jock of the USA (1:45.40) took the win against Rafith Rodriguez of Colombia (1:45.53).
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Machel Cedenio Adds Silver for Trinidad and Tobago at Pan Am 2015
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2015, 03:02:51 PM »
Machel Cedenio Adds Silver for Trinidad and Tobago at Pan Am 2015
Friday, 24 July 2015 06:52  (TTOC.org)

Machel Cedenio celebrates winning his 400m silver medal at Pan Am Games 2015

Thursday July 23rd, Toronto, Canada– World Junior Champion Machel Cedenio finished second, claiming a silver medal for Trinidad and Tobago in the men’s 400 metre final with a time of 44.70. Fellow quarter miler Jarrin Solomon was 5th in 45.20. Trinidad and Tobago’s medal total at this year’s Pan Am Games now stands at four thanks to the efforts of Cedenio, Cleopatra Borel, Njisane Phillip and George Bovell. Cedenio like Phillip will also receive the silver medal bonus from the 10Golds24 Athlete Welfare and Preparation fund.

Following his run he said, “This feels good. I’m satisfied with my run. Thank god I came out injury free.” Cedenio expressed surprise at the medal bonus programme from the TTOC saying, “That’s really good. It’s extra motivation to climb the podium.” World Champs and Stockholm are up next for this young champion and newly minted Pan Am Silver medallist.

Compatriot Solomon also took heart in his performance saying, “I’m in good shape and I’m ready to run fast at worlds. It will happen. I can run the times the medallists are running.”

In the women’s 200m Kamaria Durant finished 4th in her semi-final heat in a time of 22.94, while Reyare Thomas finished 5th in a time of 22.88. Thomas will advance to tomorrow’s final as one of the two fastest losers. Earlier in the day, Durant ran a new personal best in qualifications with a time 22.74. Following that race she said,  “The sun was really hot but I’m really happy I was able to overcome the heat and run a personal best. Hopefully I can go faster and cut that time down in the semis.” Unfortunately Durant wasn’t able to do so and will not advance to the finals.

Over on the men’s side Kyle Greaux and Rondel Sorillo were unable to advance to the final.  Greaux finished 7th in semi final one in a time of 20.69. The winner of that race Jamaican Richard Dwyer broke the 44-year-old Pan Am record with a time of 19.80. Rondel Sorillo finished 6th in semi final two with a time of 20.61. Following his race Sorillo said, “I felt flat. Today wasn’t a good day. Relays are next.”

In the discus, Quincy Wilson finished 10th. Of his performance he said, “It wasn’t great. I had nothing to lose but unfortunately I wasn’t on my A game.” Out in field hockey, the men’s team lost their 5th to 8th round match against the United States 2-1.

Track and field action continues tomorrow with relay qualifications and the men’s javelin final featuring national record holder, Keshorn Walcott.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Machel Cedenio in 400m Final at Pan Am Games 2015.

http://results.toronto2015.org/IRS/en/athletics/results-men-s-400m-1-01.htm

Luguelin Santos 44.56 holds off Machel Cedenio 44.70 400m Final PanAm Games 2015
http://rutube.ru/video/d4b24870774173ea64c326deab71bc3a/

Men's 400m Final - Pan Am Games - Toronto 2015
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sD2AqNWryUs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sD2AqNWryUs</a>
Results - Men's 400m Final

Rank   Bib   Name   Reaction Time   Fn   Result

1   487       SANTOS Luguelin   0.172      44.56            SB   
2   667       CEDENIO Machel   0.199      44.70               
3   707       CLEMONS Kyle   0.190      44.84            PB   
4   405       BRENES Nery   0.179      44.85            SB   
5   674       SOLOMON Jarrin   0.132      45.20               
6   519       GEORGE Winston   0.179      45.58               
7   192       DE SOUSA Hugo   0.175      46.07               
     790       BRAVO Alberth   0.187      DSQ               R 163.3
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 12:49:23 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Alvin Daniel: Cedenio can beat Kirani James
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2015, 10:36:25 AM »
Legend athlete Alvin Daniel speaks on Cedenio's performance and potential.

Alvin Daniel: Cedenio can beat Kirani James
By ASHFORD JACKMAN Tuesday, July 28 2015 (T&T Newsday)

Gold!! T&T's Machel Cedenio about to embrace his teammates after his amazing final leg in the
Men's 4x400m Relay finals at the Toronto 2015 Pan American Games. Photo: Allan V. Crane/TTOC.

MACHEL CEDENIO, the 19-year-old 400 metre runner whose athletic career is already glittered with success at the relatively tender age of 19, has the makings of an Olympic 400 metre champion. That is the opinion of Alvin Daniel, one of TT’s celebrated quarter-milers of a bygone, but not forgotten era.

Daniel’s pronouncement on Cedenio did not come in the wake of the lanky southerner’s performances at the recently-concluded Pan American Games in Toronto; weeks before, he had told Newsday it was his conviction that Cedenio would win 400 gold at the upcoming IAAF World Championships in Beijing.

Not surprisingly, his opinion hadn’t changed when Newsday called him yesterday for comment.

“He’s young, and he’s already been having a lot of success,” Daniel said, listing some factors he felt would weigh in the athlete’s favour in Beijing. “The big names (in the 400m) have a lot at stake; he (Machel) has been exposed to big events at an early age; he’s hungrier and he has nothing to lose.”

Daniel, who ran at the 1992 Games in Barcelona, was quite clear on what the rising quarter-miler needs to do to beat the World and Olympic champion.

“I have him down to beat Kirani James. It’s just a matter of race-planning. Anytime a quarter-miler can finish so fast, he’s a threat.

“But he has to stay with Kirani. Once it comes down to the home stretch, he’s going to beat him. He finishes very fast for a quarter-miler.”

Cedenio showed just how fast he can finish when he turned possible bronze into gold for TT in the final 50 metres of the 4x400m final at the Pan Am Games on Saturday night.

His performance had track fans buzzing for days with his blistering pace on the anchor jaw-dropping.

Daniel should know about the art of running 400s. In the late ‘80s and early ‘90s, he was part of TT’s formidable 4x400 metre relay quartet that was spearheaded by Ian Morris, a two-time Olympic finalist, and included Neil De Silva and Patrick Delice.

He also had the distinction of whipping his Jamaican 400m rivals in their own backyard (the National Stadium in Kingston) for four successive years.

The Point Fortin native was also excited about the prospect of Cedenio running with a full-strength TT mile relay team. “If (Deon) Lendore is running, Cedenio, (Renny) Quow and (Lalonde) Gordon... the only team I can see to challenge them is America.”

That comment prompted Newsday to seek his opinion on Gordon, who has been inconsistent over the distance since winning bronze medals in both the 400 and the 4x400 metre relay in the London 2012 Olympics.

“Lalonde, that is just his style,” Daniel responded. “I find he has a lot of talent, but he stays back too long, makes his move too late. You don’t let your main challengers go past you- stay as close as possible.”

Daniel’s picks for the relay final in Beijing was Gordon, Lendore, Cedenio and Quow (not in any specific order), with Jarrin Solomon as reserve.

The World Championships open in Beijing on August 22; the Men’s 400m final will be run on August 26, and the mile relay final will close the programme on the final night, August 30.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Wtach video below of Machel's anchor leg in Pan Am 4x400m Final.

http://results.toronto2015.org/IRS/en/athletics/results-men-s-4x400m-relay-1-01.htm

Men's 4 x 400m Relay Final - Pan Am Games - Toronto 2015 (Short version)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YJ5fYq39NuA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YJ5fYq39NuA</a>

Men's 4 x 400m Relay Final - Pan Am Games - Toronto 2015 (Longer version)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0KwjQQSVi8E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0KwjQQSVi8E</a>
Athletics - Results - Men's 4x400m Relay Final

Rank   Team   Reaction Time   Fn   Result

1       Trinidad and Tobago   0.188      2:59.60            SB      
2       Cuba   0.163      2:59.84            SB      
3       United States   0.270      3:00.21                  
4       Bahamas   0.144      3:00.34                  
5       Brazil   0.249      3:01.18                  
6       Jamaica   0.205      3:01.97                  
7       Venezuela   0.242      3:03.47            SB      
8       Costa Rica   0.177      3:05.21                  
Intermediate Times
Distance   Name   Intermediate Times   Time

400m       Trinidad and Tobago   45.40   45.40
800m       Bahamas   44.32   1:29.72
1200m       Bahamas   44.64   2:14.36
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:45:01 PM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Alvin Daniel: Cedenio can beat Kirani James
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2015, 11:30:19 AM »
There is that Newkirk fella from South Africa?!!

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2015, 12:17:27 PM »
There is that Newkirk fella from South Africa?!!

And Merritt. They are both strong contenders to give Kirani a close run in Beijing and we also can't ignore Steven Gardiner from Bahamas. Plus Luguelín Santos seems to be back to his best and can press for a medal once he is.

A lot of influential people in T&T seem to be pushing for Cedenio to run the individual 400m in Beijing but that would mean one of our other top quarter-milers Renny Quow, Jarrin Solomon or Lalonde Gordon giving up their individual 400m spot in Beijing which they would have assumed they earned based on their placing in the 400m Final at T&T National Trials.
NAAA's will have a tough decision to make to give one of the 3 individual 400m spots in Beijing to Cedenio who was DQed in the Final at Trials if none of the guys are willing to give up the spot that they have earned.

I wonder if one of them is willing to give up their individual 400m spot to Cedenio and who is most likely to be willing to do that as we want to keep the team spirit for our 4x4 relay team alive and as healthy as possible.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 12:57:01 PM by Socapro »

Offline jusbless

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2015, 12:28:42 PM »
Socapro I have been saying that to you from day one . My take on it is if you can't clock under 45 sec before world's what  sense  it makes  putting you to run the individual over a guy who has consistently run under 45 this season. I am not against or a hater of jarrin Solomon but I am a supporter , the truth is that he cant compete on an individual level against these guys but he is a relay beast , A fresh jarrin Solomon for two legs on the relay can be very good for T&T. Look at the pan am games for example he ran the two legs individually and the semi's of pan am games but in the final he was out of steam and even though he got the baton first from remy faded coming home. Had it been lalonde on that second leg and ran the way jarrin did the forum would be bashing him. Quow and cedenio leg was the only two legs that we can be proud about

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2015, 12:34:35 PM »
Socapro I have been saying that to you from day one . My take on it is if you can't clock under 45 sec before world's what  sense  it makes  putting you to run the individual over a guy who has consistently run under 45 this season. I am not against or a hater of jarrin Solomon but I am a supporter , the truth is that he cant compete on an individual level against these guys but he is a relay beast , A fresh jarrin Solomon for two legs on the relay can be very good for T&T. Look at the pan am games for example he ran the two legs individually and the semi's of pan am games but in the final he was out of steam and even though he got the baton first from remy faded coming home. Had it been lalonde on that second leg and ran the way jarrin did the forum would be bashing him. Quow and cedenio leg was the only two legs that we can be proud about

I would give Solomon a bligh for his 2nd leg run in the Pan Am 4x4 Final because he ran the individual 400m where he place 5th in the Final with a decent run and also ran in the 4x4 Heats before running in the Final.

In contrast Cedenio who also ran the individual Pan Am 400m and won silver was rested from running in the 4x4 Heats and so was fresh for the Final hence his massively impressive anchor in the final.

I think the NAAA's should pose the question to Solomon about giving up his 400m spot to Cedenio and let Solomon decide but would that be a fair thing to do seeing that all athletes want to run in their individual event at World Champs and train for that opportunity.

To me the most disappointing run in the 4x4 relay was by Lalonde Gordon who did the leadoff leg in the 4x4 Heats keeping in mind that he was fresh because he did not run in the individual 400m like Solomon and Cedenio did. Lalonde Gordon's form seems to be very unpredictable this season but when he does come good he can beat the best of them. I am hoping that he is saving his best for Beijing.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 01:03:33 PM by Socapro »

Offline jusbless

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2015, 12:42:19 PM »
I agree with you but I just think a fresh Jarrin is vital to our chances

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2015, 01:09:22 PM »

Do you think we can win gold in Beijing without Deon Lendore?
It is quite possible Deon may not be 100% recovered from his knee injury (which he sustained during the NCAA Championships) in time for Beijing and may not be able to run in the 4x4 as we have all been hoping.

I reckon we can still at least medal in Beijing without Lendore in the 4x4 squad but we will need to manage our quarter-milers properly and will need Lalonde Gordon to come good on his relay leg(s) and not underperform.

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2015, 01:41:38 PM »
This might be J Solomon last time to run a individual 400 for the olympics or the WC so it is not right to give up his spot Cedenio is young and has many more championships to attend he has enough time to learn from his mistakes.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2015, 02:07:47 PM »
This might be J Solomon last time to run a individual 400 for the olympics or the WC so it is not right to give up his spot Cedenio is young and has many more championships to attend he has enough time to learn from his mistakes.

I agree but can a time of 44.50 or slower win a medal in the final?

Solomon's PB is 44.98. He will need to run a new PB to medal in the WC Final if he makes the Final that's for sure but who are we to decide that he is not capbale of running a new PB and medalling in the Final?

I suspect that Solomon believes in himself that he is capable of running a 44.50 or better in a World Champs final if he qualifies for the final and can execute the perfect race so who are we to doubt him?

PS:
I reckon that Jarrin Solomon who is around the same height as Luguelín Santos or slightly taller than him can bring his PB down to around 44.45 just like Santos. If Solomon runs his flat 400m in a similar pattern to Santos then he is also capable of a 44.45 PB like Santos has done in the past.
In fact I think their race patterns are similar but Santos does have a good kick that he can inject in his last 100m when he is at his best.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 02:25:25 PM by Socapro »

Offline jusbless

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2015, 02:14:08 PM »
While that may be the case it is up to what the individual value more. Country or Personal gain. If he think he can run 44.5 show it , performance talk, not hope of a performance . Everybody dreams of being the best but do everyone has the ability to do it . It is like the Dog and the bone, He can end up with nothing.

Offline jusbless

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2015, 02:18:28 PM »

It is quite possible Deon may not be 100% recovered from his knee injury (which he sustained during the NCAA Championships) in time for Beijing and may not be able to run in the 4x4 as we have all been hoping.

I reckon we can still at least medal in Beijing without Lendore in the 4x4 squad but we will need to manage our quarter-milers properly and will need Lalonde Gordon to come good on his relay leg(s) and not underperform.

Without Lendore will be tough but we might have to do some reshuffling and put cedenio first followed Solomon lalonde and quow finishing. Quow have heart like cedenio,

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2015, 02:39:07 PM »

Without Lendore will be tough but we might have to do some reshuffling and put cedenio first followed Solomon lalonde and quow finishing. Quow have heart like cedenio,

Good but we need Cedenio who can run man down in the last 100m on the final leg; he proved that leg belongs to him in Toronto this weekend! Even if Deon is healthy Deon runs one of the other legs from now on and Cedenio anchors!

I believe this is the order that we are most likely to medal in Beijing without Lendore in the squad:-

1st leg: Renny Quow, 2nd leg Jarrin Solomon, 3rd leg Lalonde Gordon & 4th leg Machel Cedenio;

If we are confident that Lalonde Gordon is in top form and not spent then we can also go with this order:-

1st leg: Lalonde Gordon, 2nd leg Jarrin Solomon, 3rd leg Renny Quow & 4th leg Machel Cedenio.

With all our quarter-milers firing in that squad we should be in the top 3 pressing the USA and the Bahamas for Gold and if Cedenio can give us another anchor like in the Pan Am 4x4 final then we could end up with a gold medal. However Merritt for USA and Gardiner for Bahamas will also be a good match for Cedenio on the last leg. Even Javon Francis for JA could put them in the mix for a medal if Jamaica gets the baton to him on the final leg within striking distance of the top 3 teams.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 02:42:38 PM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2015, 02:46:52 PM »
And of course the South African fella.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2015, 03:03:32 PM »

You did mention him in Reply #1 above unless you are referring to him now in regards to the 4x4 relay.

Do you think the SA 4x4 relay team will make the final and will be good enough to contend for a medal?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 03:05:16 PM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2015, 05:37:33 PM »

You did mention him in Reply #1 above unless you are referring to him now in regards to the 4x4 relay.

Do you think the SA 4x4 relay team will make the final and will be good enough to contend for a medal?

My bad! I keep referring to the individual 400 meters race.

Offline RC

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2015, 05:56:37 PM »
No one has been selected for the team as yet. From my understanding of the selection criteria no single performance or place will result in an athlete gaining automatic selection as a team member. Please correct me if i am mistaken

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2015, 08:54:40 PM »
No one has been selected for the team as yet. From my understanding of the selection criteria no single performance or place will result in an athlete gaining automatic selection as a team member. Please correct me if i am mistaken

You need to read this: GENERAL SELECTION CRITERIA OF NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF ATHLETICS ADMMINISTRATIONS OF TRINIDAD & TOBAGO (NAAATT)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cedenio stunner ...T&T star wins from behind in Stockholm
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2015, 02:20:35 PM »
Cedenio stunner
T&T star wins from behind in Stockholm

By Kwame Laurence (T&T Express)
Published on Jul 30, 2015, 9:09 pm AST

FINISHING POWER: Machel Cedenio, right, of Trinidad and Tobago wins the men's 400 metres
event ahead of fifth-placed Tony McQuay of the US, left, and sixth-placed Rusheen McDonald
of Jamaica at the IAAF Diamond League meet in Stockholm, Sweden, yesterday. —Photo: AP

Machel Cedenio produced a stunning come-from-behind victory at the Bauhaus Athletics IAAF Diamond League meet, in Stockholm, Sweden, yesterday.

Coming off the final turn in the men's 400 metres event, Cedenio trailed the field. The Trinidad and Tobago track star was way behind the leaders, but the work required to get in contention for the top spot was not beyond him.

Watch "T&T's Machel Cedenio wins Men's 400m at IAAF Diamond League"

In chilly conditions, Cedenio was red hot. He steamrolled his rivals on the home straight, reeling in all before him for what turned out to be a comfortable victory in 44.97 seconds.

“The race felt good,” said Cedenio. “It was a little bit slow but I'm so happy with the win and I thank God for it.”

Cedenio exacted swift revenge on Luguelin Santos, the man who forced him into the silver medal position at the Pan American Games in Toronto, Canada, last week, the Dominican Republic quarter-miler finishing second yesterday in 45.21. Third spot, meanwhile, went to Great Britain's Martyn Rooney (45.41).

Cedenio's superb finishing power was also on display in the Pan Am Games men's 4x400m championship race. His storming finish on anchor turned bronze into gold for T&T.

The 44.97 seconds clocking in Stockholm was Cedenio's fourth sub-45 run this year. The 19-year-old athlete produced his first-ever 44-point 400 on May 16 at the Cayman Invitational, stopping the clock at a personal best 44.36 seconds. He followed up on his golden run at the Cayman meet with victory in Ponce, Puerto Rico one week later in 44.97. In the Pan Am Games final, Cedenio clocked 44.70, before notching sub-45 number four at yesterday's Diamond League meet.

There was actually a fifth 44-point run for Cedenio in 2015. However, the 44.29 seconds scorcher at the NGC-Sagicor National Open Championships was scratched from the books following his disqualification for running out of his lane.

Cedenio is currently joint-sixth on the 2015 world performance list, with reigning world champion LaShawn Merritt of the United States. Both quartermilers have clocked 44.36 this year.

Botswana's Isaac Makwala is the world-leader at 43.72 seconds. Grenada's 2012 Olympic champion Kirani James clocked 43.95 for second spot on the global list, while third spot is held by South Africa's Wayde van Niekirk with a 43.96 run. Bahamian Steven Gardiner and Qatar's Abdalelah Haroun are joint-fourth at 44.27.

Another T&T quarter-miler, Deon Lendore is joint-eighth with American David Verburg thanks to a 44.41 seconds run he produced in May.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cedenio powers to 1st Diamond League gold
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2015, 01:31:34 AM »
Cedenio powers to 1st Diamond League gold
By ASHFORD JACKMAN Friday, July 31 2015 (T&T Newsday)

MACHEL CEDENIO confirmed his status as one of the world’s foremost 400 metre runners yesterday, taking the gold medal in his pet event with a typically dramatic finish at the IAAF Diamond League Grand Prix meet in Stockholm, Sweden.

Just weeks before the World Athletics Championships in Beijing, the lanky southerner, still two months short of his 20th birthday, has stamped his name firmly among the few of the quality to challenge Olympic champion Kirani James for one lap sprint gold.

In the process, Cedenio, the Pan Am Games silver medallist also exacted revenge on the Dominican Republic’s Luguelin Santos, who had beaten him to the Pan Am gold in Toronto.

What made his victory the more remarkable was the fact that despite falling way behind the leaders at 300 metres, Cedenio was the only athlete to finish under 45 seconds.

One of only two TT athletes who competed in Stockholm, Cedenio appeared initially to be out of medal contention.

When the runners cleared the final turn, the World Junior champion, running in lane five, was second-to-last; Jamaican Rusheen Mc Donald (lane 6) and Santos (lane 8 ) were leading the pack home.

Cedenio then began to accelerate, passing athlete after athlete, almost as though they were stationary. He crossed the line first, in 44.97 seconds; Santos followed, almost a quarter of a second behind in 45.21, while Britain’s Martyn Rooney took the bronze in 45.41.

Victory for the TT quarter-miler came in just his second appearance in the Diamond League; he was sixth in New York on June 13 in 45.89, just behind countryman Renny Quow (5th, 45.57) in a race won by South African Wayde Van Niekerk (44.24).

Van Niekerk heads the Diamond League Men’s 400m points standings with eight; Cedenio is now tied for second with Bahamian Steven Gardiner, on four; Americans La Shawn Merritt and David Verburg are next, on three points each.

Defending World and Olympic Champion Kirani James has not appeared in the Diamond League since finishing second (44.17) behind Van Niekerk (43.96) in Paris on July 4.

Meanwhile, Pan Am Games gold medallist Cleopatra Borel finished down the field in the Women’s Shot Put, sixth of eight competitors with a best throw of 18.25 metres. Germany’s Christiana Schwanitz (20.13) claimed the gold, while American Michelle Carter (19.24) and Hungary’s Anita Marzon (18.74) took the minor placings.

Jamaica’s World and Olympic sprint champion, Shelly Ann Fraser- Pryce won the Women’s 100 metres in 10.93 seconds; American Tori Bowie (11.05) took the silver and Pryce’s compatriot Natasha Morrison (11.22) got the bronze.

The Diamond League series now takes a break for the World Championships, which open on August 22 in Beijing, China.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Machel Cedenio wins men's 400m Diamond League Stockholm 2015
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/h8z9vyjUMAQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/h8z9vyjUMAQ</a>
400m Men 21:20 30 JUL 2015
Rank Name Nat Date of Birth Result Diamond Points Diamond Ranking

1 CEDENIO Machel TTO 6 SEP 1995 5 0.242 44.97 4 3
2 SANTOS Luguelín DOM 12 NOV 1993 3 0.184 45.21 2 7
3 ROONEY Martyn GBR 3 APR 1987 8 0.160 45.41 SB 1 11
4 YOUSIF Rabah GBR 11 DEC 1986 2 0.174 45.46
5 MCQUAY Tony USA 16 APR 1990 7 0.149 45.49 2 7
6 MCDONALD Rusheen JAM 17 AUG 1992 6 0.189 45.55
7 HAROUN Abdalleleh QAT 1997 4 0.267 45.89
8 STEELE Edino JAM 1 JUN 1987 1 0.168 46.17
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 01:47:24 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
More gold for Cedenio
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2015, 01:32:04 AM »
More gold for Cedenio
Published: Friday, July 31, 2015 (T&T Guardian)

T&T’s Machel Cedenio, centre, wins the men’s 400m event ahead of 6th placed Rusheen
McDonald of Jamaica, left, and 7th placed Abdalleleh Haround of Qatar, right, at the IAAF
Athletics Diamond League meeting at Stockholm Olympic Stadium, yesterday. AP Photo

T&T’s Machel Cedenio clocked 44.97 to win the Men’s 400m at the IAAF Diamond League meet in Stockholm, Sweden yesterday. The 19-year-old unleashed a burst of speed on the final stretch which left the crowd stunned. “That was astonishing from Cedenio,” remarked one television commentator. “It just all changed in the last 40m. It was quite incredible.”

Dominican Republic’s Luguelin Santos nabbed the silver in 45.21 while Great Britain’s Martyn Rooney was third in a season’s best of 45.41. The result bumped Cedenio up to third in the Diamond League 400m standings with four points. He is led by Grenada’s Kirani James and Russia’s Wayde Van Niekerk, who have each won two races this season.

It capped off a successful week for Cedenio, who earlier managed an individual 400m silver and anchored T&T’s gold medal winning 4x400m run at the Pan American Games in Toronto, which ended on Sunday.

Also announcing herself yesterday was Jamaican Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce who warmed up for the world championships with a dominant win in the women’s 100 metres. Fraser-Pryce, the world and Olympic champion, clocked 10.93 seconds in the headline race to beat Tori Bowie of the U.S. by 0.12 seconds.

“The time wasn’t what I wanted, but I’m grateful I came out here and did my best,” Fraser-Pryce said. “There’s always pressure going into a world championships, but I’m not worried about that. I’m not worried about anything.” Fraser-Pryce also reiterated her stance that she won’t defend her 200 title at the worlds, a day after hinting she may change her mind and run both distances.

“In Beijing, I’m not running the 200. I’m telling my coach he has to change my mind,” she said. “The 200 is too far, so I’m set for the 100.”
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 05:18:47 AM by Socapro »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Machel Cedenio Thread
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2015, 11:08:45 PM »
What the frig right with this man. Three races in a row. I can't take that. My heart eh mine!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Machel Cedenio Thread
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2015, 10:54:42 PM »

Cleopatra Borel and Machel Cedenio walked away with the Sportswoman and Sportsman of the Year Awards at the T&T Olympic Committee 18th Annual Awards at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Port-of-Spain tonight.

https://www.facebook.com/cnewslive/posts/10153777595435610:0

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Borel, Cedenio double up *
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2016, 03:17:56 PM »
Borel, Cedenio double up *
Track and field duo take First Citizens awards

Published on Mar 14, 2016, 7:42 pm AST
By Sean Taylor, sean.taylor@trinidadexpress.com

Winning pair: Machel Cedenio, centre, and Cleopatra Borel, right, pose with their awards while being acknowledged by chairman of the First Citizens Sports Foundation Dr Keith Clifford and president of the Republic, Anthony Carmona, during the First Citizens Sports Awards ceremony at Queen’s Hall on Sunday evening. Photo: Anisto Alves

It seems that the gold-medal exploits at last year's Pan American Games in Toronto, Canada were more than enough to seal the First Citizens Sports Foundation 2015 Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year awards, as both Machel Cedenio and Cleopatra Borel walked away with the top honours in front of an applauding 400-strong audience at Queen's Hall on Sunday evening.

There was a slight touch of déjà-vu as both athletes also swept the Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee (TTOC) awards which were held last December at the Hyatt Regency Hotel.

Borel, the 37-year-old defied all of the common reservations about age and not only became the first woman from Trinidad and Tobago to win Pan Am gold when she hurled the iron ball 18.67 metres to cement her place in local sporting history, but also collected the award for the fifth time.

Cedenio also made his mark in 2015, coincidentally at the same Pan Am Games in Toronto.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 03:20:27 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
A handful for Borel ...as Cedenio leads athletics to awards sweep
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2016, 03:18:26 PM »
A handful for Borel
...as Cedenio leads athletics to awards sweep

Published: Tuesday, March 15, 2016 (T&T Guardian)

Track and Field athletes Machel Cedenio and Cleopatra Borel were named the First Citizens Sports Foundation Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year 2015 at the ceremony held at Queen's Hall, St Ann's, Port-of-Spain, on Sunday. PHOTO: SEAN NERO

Champion shot-putter Cleopatra Borel copped her fifth First Citizens Sportswoman of the Year award on Sunday night at the 53rd annual First Citizens Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year ceremony at Queen’s Hall, St Ann’s, while quarter-miler Machel Cedenio took home the Sportsman of the Year title.

Their successes ensured track and field dominated by capturing four of five awards at stake. The representing National Association of Athletics Administration (NAAA) was voted the Administration of the Year (large) for a second consecutive year to take home the prestigious Jeffery Stollmeyer Memorial Award, which its president Ephraim Serrette accepted.

The men’s 4x400 metres relay team, for their feats at the Pan American and the World Championships, got the judges’ nod for the Lystra Lewis Award for Team of the Year. The Chess Association of T&T completed the list of honours. It was voted the Administration of the Year (small) and was also bestowed with the Jeffrey Stollmeyer Memorial Award which its president Sonja Johnson collected.

Fifty-five athletes–30 males and 25 females–were nominated in 31 disciplines and after the presentations, 10 were short listed, with three being from track and field- Keshorn Walcott, Borel and Cedenio.

The others cyclist Njisane Phillip, Vanessa Hill (body-building); Kelly Ann Arrindell (sailing); Kenwyne Jones (football); Monifa Sealy (golf) George Bovell III (swimming) and Akeem Stewart (para-athletics) completed the list.

Cedenio won individual silver at the Pan American Games, before joining forces with teammates in the men’s 4x400 metres relay final on July 25 where he fought valiantly, surging past his rivals in the final 100 metres to secure gold ahead of Cuba and the USA.

The 19-year replicated that performance at the DN Galan Diamond League in Stockholm, Sweden, in July. Trailing, Cedenio executed another finishing kick to steal victory in 44.97 seconds. He later put icing on the cake with a victory in the 400 metres in George Town, Cayman Islands, in a personal best time of 44.36.

Borel, meanwhile, reaped awards for her commitment when she secured gold at the Pan American Games in Toronto in the women’s shot put, with a throw of 18.67 metres that put her ahead of silver medalist Jillian Camarena-Williams (USA) and Natalia Duco (Chile).

Borel, who achieved a season’s best throw of 19.26 metres to claim victory at the Istvan Gyulai Memorial in Szekesfehervar, Hungary, on July 7, was also in fine form on the IAAF Diamond League circuit with a second-place performance at the British Athletics Grand Prix in Birmingham, England, a third-place display at the London Grand Prix and a fourth-place finish at the Meeting Areva in Paris.

Afterwards Cedenio was awed to have shaken the hand of President Carmona and further delighted to receive the honour. When asked about his preparations for the Olympics, he said the strategy by his coaches at Pure Athletes a pro-Adidas camp in Miami, Florida, was to take things slow.

“More of the mental part of the track than the physical part. We are getting closer together. As it’s an Olympic year, he is getting to understand my body more and I am understanding his workouts more. We are working hand-in-hand to make me a better athlete. I’m going to keep focused, keep doing what I do…go on the track…keep this winning mentality.”

Borel said: “It feels great. Five is my favourite number.”

The Honour Roll:
Sportsman of the Year: Machel Cedenio
Sportswoman of the Year: Cleopatra Borel
Administration of the Year (Large): National Association of Athletics Administration (NAAA)
Administration of the Year (Small): T&T Chess Association
Team of The Year: Men’s 4x400 metres relay team

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FjZ_LU6gKrg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FjZ_LU6gKrg</a>

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cedenio, Borel secure First Citizens Awards
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2016, 02:57:33 AM »
Cedenio, Borel secure First Citizens Awards
By JOEL BAILEY Tuesday, March 15 2016 (T&T Newsday)

Machel Cedenio & Cleopatra Borel First Citizens 2015 Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year

AS THEY did in the 2015 Trinidad and Tobago Olympic Committee (TTOC) Award ceremony in late December, track and field stand-outs Machel Cedenio and Cleopatra Borel secured the 2015 First Citizens Sports Foundation Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year awards at the Queen’s Hall, St Ann’s on Sunday night.

For the 19-year-old Cedenio, the Sportsman of the Year award was his reward for an excellent season, which saw him guide the TT men’s 4x400-metre relay team to gold at the Pan American Games in Toronto, Canada last July. He ran the final leg and propelled the TT quartet from third place (when he took the baton) to victory.

At the Pan Am Games, he also got silver in the men’s 400m, weeks after setting a personal best time of 44.36 seconds at a meet in George Town, Cayman Islands.

Cedenio said, “I feel really good winning this award. It’s the most prestigious award I ever won. It really meant a lot to me.” Currently preparing for his second successive Olympic Games, Cedenio, who is based in Florida, United States, noted, “preparations has been going really good for me. Me and my coach (Lance Brauman) are taking it slow at the moment, putting a lot of stuff together.

We are working together to make me a better athlete.” Questioned as to what moment stood out for him last year, the teenager replied, “Pan Am, but I still cherish all my moments.” Borel, on the other hand, made history as the first five-time winner of the Sportswoman of the Year award, having walked away with the trophy in 2002, 2007, 2010 and 2014.

The 37-year-old’s most significant achievement last year was also at the Pan Am Games, where she captured gold in the women’s shot put with an effort of 18.67m.

“It feels great, five is my favourite number,” said Borel, after the ceremony.

Like Cedenio, Borel pointed out that the Pan Am Games stood out for her during her 2015 season.

“Being the first (TT ) female to win a Pan American Games gold medal, I think that’s what did it for me,” she said.

Looking ahead to her fourth Olympic Games, Borel said, “training and preparation are going really well. The coach (Ismael Mastrapa) and I are getting ready for World Indoors, and we have a solid plan going into Rio (Olympics).

Based on how things have gone thus far I’m really happy.

“This year I’m working on my strength. I’m working on my technique and all the little things that make my shot put goal go a little bit further.” Both athletes were in the Top 10 Athletes for 2015, along with former winners Keshorn Walcott (track and field), George Bovell III (swimming), Njisane Phillip (cycling), Vanessa Hill (body building), Kelly Ann Arrindell (sailing), Kenwyne Jones (football), Monifa Sealy (golf) and Akeem Stewart (paralympics).

Ironically, there was double success for Cedenio, as the men’s 4x400m Pan Am Games gold medal squad walked away with the Lystra Lewis Award, as the team/ group of the year.

The Jeffrey Stollmeyer Award, for the National Governing Body which has showcased initiatives, and made significant improvements, in its Administration as well as the development of its athletes, was given in two categories.

For the smaller bodies, the Trinidad and Tobago Chess Association got the nod, ahead of the TT Gymnastics Federation and the TT Table Tennis Association. And, for the larger bodies, the National Association of Athletic Association (NAAA) emerged victorious, ahead of the TT Netball Association and the TT Hockey Board.

Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Darryl Smith, and Sports Foundation chairman Dr Keith Clifford, also delivered addresses in the hour-and-15-minute long ceremony.

Among the dignitaries in attendance were President Anthony Carmona and Her Excellency Reema Carmona, Chief Justice Ivor Archie, TT Olympic Committee (TTO C) president Brian Lewis and members of the diplomatic corps.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 03:01:40 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Machel Cedenio 44.79 in 2016 400m outdoor season opener
« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2016, 01:08:28 AM »
Machel Cedenio opened his outdoor season in 44.79 to win his 400m heat at the Tom Jones Memorial Invitational meet in Florida.

Official Tom Jones Memorial Invitational 400m results.......

http://www.ptgrouponline.com/Live/2016/UF/

Perfect Timing Group - Contractor License 4/22/2016 - 6:08 PM
Tom Jones Memorial Invitational - 4/22/2016
Percy Beard Track - U. of Florida

Event 24 Men 400 Meter Dash
===================================================================
Name Year School Finals H#
===================================================================
Section 1 Finals
1 Cedenio, Machel Pure Athletics 44.79 1
2 Hall, Arman SR Florida 45.17 1
3 Berry, Mike Nike 45.35 1
4 Mezones, Freddy Unattached 45.60 1
5 Bonevacia, Liemarvin Netherlands 45.69 1
6 Cowan, Dwayne England Athletics 46.40 1
7 Levine, Nigel Team Christie 46.53 1

Section 2 Finals
1 Verberg, David Adidas 45.11 2
2 Glass, Najee SR Florida 45.59 2
3 Borlee, Jonathan Belgium 45.87 2
4 Williams, Conrad England Athletics 46.42 2
5 Nkanata, Carvin Kenya 46.56 2

Section 3 Finals
1 Parros, Clayton Pure Athletics 46.24 3
2 Graham, Jr, Hugh SR Florida 46.57 3
3 Gregan, Brian Ireland 47.30 3
4 Chelela, Angel France 47.77 3
5 Agard, Terrence Unattached 48.92 3

Section 4 Finals
1 Delauze, Henri SO Miami 46.58 4
2 Uruburu, Nick JR Florida 47.19 4
3 Moore, Jonathan SO Bethune-Cookman 47.28 4
4 McClanahan, Kevin SO Tcu 47.45 4
5 Moona, Alistair SR Florida State 47.74 4
6 Wilkerson, Braylon FR Coastal Carolina 47.76 4
7 Roy, Ricardo SR Florida State 47.85 4
-- Washington, Joshua SR Tcu DNF 4

Section 5 Finals
1 Crowe, Timmy Ireland 48.17 5
2 Robb, Desmond JR North Florida 48.23 5
3 van Luijk, Patrick Adidas 49.53 5
4 Thompson, Liam Unattached 49.86 5

Section 6 Finals
1 Wellington, Deion SR Coastal Carolina 48.10 6
2 Williams, Nathan FR Vcu 48.65 6
3 Sapp, Maurice SR North Florida 48.73 6
4 Shepard, Kahlil SO Vcu 48.73 6
5 Buckingham, Nicholas SO Vcu 49.31 6
6 Allen, Tyree FR McKendree 49.65 6
7 Palmer, Alexis SO McKendree 49.78 6
8 Lambert, Tyler JR Bethune-Cookman 50.95 6
9 Frater, Donavon SR Bethune-Cookman 51.05 6

Summary Finals
1 Cedenio, Machel Pure Athletics 44.79 1
2 Verberg, David Adidas 45.11 2
3 Hall, Arman SR Florida 45.17 1
4 Berry, Mike Nike 45.35 1
5 Glass, Najee SR Florida 45.59 2
6 Mezones, Freddy Unattached 45.60 1
7 Bonevacia, Liemarvin Netherlands 45.69 1
8 Borlee, Jonathan Belgium 45.87 2
9 Parros, Clayton Pure Athletics 46.24 3
10 Cowan, Dwayne England Athletics 46.40 1
11 Williams, Conrad England Athletics 46.42 2
12 Levine, Nigel Team Christie 46.53 1
13 Nkanata, Carvin Kenya 46.56 2
14 Graham, Jr, Hugh SR Florida 46.57 3
15 Delauze, Henri SO Miami 46.58 4
16 Uruburu, Nick JR Florida 47.19 4
17 Moore, Jonathan SO Bethune-Cookman 47.28 4
18 Gregan, Brian Ireland 47.30 3
19 McClanahan, Kevin SO Tcu 47.45 4
20 Moona, Alistair SR Florida State 47.74 4
21 Wilkerson, Braylon FR Coastal Carolina 47.76 4
22 Chelela, Angel France 47.77 3
23 Roy, Ricardo SR Florida State 47.85 4
24 Wellington, Deion SR Coastal Carolina 48.10 6
25 Crowe, Timmy Ireland 48.17 5
26 Robb, Desmond JR North Florida 48.23 5
27 Williams, Nathan FR Vcu 48.65 6
28 Sapp, Maurice SR North Florida 48.73 6
29 Shepard, Kahlil SO Vcu 48.73 6
30 Agard, Terrence Unattached 48.92 3
31 Buckingham, Nicholas SO Vcu 49.31 6
32 van Luijk, Patrick Adidas 49.53 5
33 Allen, Tyree FR McKendree 49.65 6
34 Palmer, Alexis SO McKendree 49.78 6
35 Thompson, Liam Unattached 49.86 5
36 Lambert, Tyler JR Bethune-Cookman 50.95 6
37 Frater, Donavon SR Bethune-Cookman 51.05 6
-- Washington, Joshua SR Tcu DNF 4
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:35:36 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Machel Cedenio 44.79 men's 400m #3 in the World Tom Jones Memorial Invitational 2016
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ic34ST_h88k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ic34ST_h88k</a>

Trinidad and Tobago’s 2014 world junior 400m Champion Machel Cedenio opened his season with an impressive 44.79 placed just third in the world this year behind Kirani James (44.36) and Bralon Taplin (44.41).

Machel currently 3rd in IAAF Men's 400m Top List 2016!
See link: http://www.iaaf.org/records/toplists/sprints/400-metres/outdoor/men/senior/2016

RACE ANALYSIS:

Cedenio came from behind in the final 100m as per usual!
If Cedenio can stay with the race leader(s) for the first 300m and not always have to come from behind then he will be able to go 44 low this season and who knows!

I hope Cedenio runs a few 200m races this season to build on his raw speed so that he can stay with the top guns much easier in the first 300m of his 400m races.

If Cedenio can get his 200m PB down to 20.50 or less then he should be able to destroy most of the top quarter-milers over the last 100m of his races as he normally does which will mean him running away from the leaders rather than having to try to catch them in the last 100m of his 400m races.

I hope Cedenio and his coach are working on that important aspect of his 400m races, which is his raw 200m speed. I notice that Cedenio tends to lose ground with the race leader(s) between 200m and 300m where he relaxes which always leaves him with ground to make up in the last 400m of his races. The moment Cedenio runs his first 300m stronger so that he comes into the final straight with the race leaders then its curtains for most of the other top quarter-milers and Cedenio is likely to go sub-44 when he does that.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 01:36:32 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Merritt Wins 44.41, Cedenio 2nd 44.68 in Men's 400m IAAF Diamond League Doha 2016
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/IO2RyH4glro" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/IO2RyH4glro</a>
DOHA DIAMOND LEAGUE QATAR DOHA (HAMAD BIN SUHAIM), QATAR 06 MAY 2016

400 METRES MEN
POS   ATHLETE                   COUNTRY   MARK

1   LaShawn MERRITT   USA      44.41
2   Machel CEDENIO   TTO     44.68   
3   Abdalelah HAROUN   QAT          44.81
4   David VERBURG           USA          45.54
5   Tony MCQUAY           USA           45.65
6   Isaac MAKWALA           BOT           45.71
7   Steven GARDINER   BAH           46.39         
8   Luguelín SANTOS   DOM           46.53

I hope Machel, Deon, Lalonde and our other top TTO quarter-milers see this interview so they realize what times will be required this year if they plan to make the 400m final and medal in Rio. Its all about 43.low!!!
Our current TTO national 400m record is likely not be fast enough to even medal in the 400m final in Rio.

LaShawn Merritt predicts a world record could be on the cards in the 400m in 2016
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MXpDYjMX6wA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MXpDYjMX6wA</a>

And here is another good interview with Mewrritt talking about the purpose of his 200m speed work.
Merritt says he is training to run 43.low by Rio as that is what he thinks will be required to medal and win.
Hopefully our top TTO quarter-milers are training with a similar 43.low target 400m time in mind for Rio.
2016 will not be a year for those quarter-milers who want to cut corners in training if they wish to make the 400m final and medal in Rio. You will need to go the extra mile in endurance training and also put in the required speed work to stay comfortably with the likes of Merritt over the first 300m of your 400m races.

LaShawn Merritt predicts fast times in 400m this year
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HCwL2ylLuDo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HCwL2ylLuDo</a>
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 09:32:30 AM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>