April 18, 2024, 09:29:35 PM

Author Topic: Phillips writes autobiography  (Read 2049 times)

Offline dtool

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Phillips writes autobiography
« on: June 30, 2011, 08:39:09 AM »

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/_Phillips_writes_autobiography-124759524.html

Phillips writes autobiography

Lincoln "Tiger" Phillips, the former technical director of Trinidad and Tobago football, is writing his autobiography and expects to release it soon.

This is one of the projects the outstanding former Trinidad & Tobago goalie has been involved with since being stripped of the technical director post by the Trinidad & Tobago Football Federation (TTFF). Phillip recently did an interview on the socawarriors.net website in which he spoke to reporter Inshan "Flex" Mohammed.

Seven years ago, Phillip left the USA and returned to T&T to take up the technical director's post on the invitation of former FIFA vice-president and TTFF adviser Jack Warner. Formerly, he had worked with the United States Soccer Federation. Recently, however, Phillip was released by the TTFF.

"It is true that my contract with the TTFF will not be renewed," Phillip admitted. "I had a three-year contract from 2004 through 2007 and then a series of one-year contract extensions based on mutual interest. For this year, I made the conscious decision not to seek an extension, and in April of this year, the federation notified me of their decision."

He added: "When Jack sold me on the idea in 2004 that in his opinion T&T could qualify for the World Cup for the first time, I packed up my bag and put my life on hold in order to accomplish that initial goal.

"Having met that goal, I embarked upon a vision of having every T&T team qualify for a FIFA tournament by 2014, We've been able to qualify the U-17 and U-20 men's teams. The U-23s are left to fill the remaining void on the men's side."

Despite recent developments Phillip said he appreciated the opportunity to advance the game in Trinidad and Tobago. He was particularly pleased with the first three years as technical director when his portfolio allowed him to play a key role in the areas of both player development and coaching development. Although no longer with the TTFF, Phillip indicated that he may be back in football very soon.

"There are a few options I am reviewing in T&T and in the U.S. There were preliminary discussions with SPORTT that seemed to present opportunities to engage in establishing a comprehensive grassroots-based player development programme for primary school youth and to continue the "D" license coaching programme in a manner that would have provided the resources needed to include a continuing education structure so the licenses could not only be renewed, but also supplemented with course hours at UWI.

"I'm also looking at the possibility of conducting goalkeeper-training courses across the Caribbean. With my immediate family in the U.S., I'm certainly considering some interesting proposals there as well. However, regardless of where I end up, I will always be willing to lend my support and resources to programmes and coaches who are often overlooked, but play a vital role in developing our players and future coaches, " Phillip said.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Phillips writes autobiography
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 09:03:43 AM »
I would love to take a read on this.

And ah glad to see de Express credited Flex, hope LP does in his autobiography as well.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 11:18:46 AM »
Should be an interesting read. Phillips is a gentleman and a scholar and he knows his stuff
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 01:10:22 PM »
Had the pleasure of meeting him and chatting for a bit a couple years ago...very cool fella

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 01:48:10 PM »
He didn't raise enough hell! but instead comfortably sat idly by and collect a paycheck while these neanderthals were destroying our football.

it's hard for me to respect this man knowing that he was working for the ministry of sports and was independent of the TTFF, and didn't have enough balls to call out jack and camps on the inadequate hack job they was doing with T&T football!

all along i thought this fella was under the TTFF, and was surprised to find out that he was actually hired by the ministry. after 5 yrs, not one solitary academy, not one high school up grade on coaching requirement, but he's ah fackin technical director.  another waste of time oldman.     :frustrated:
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 08:09:43 PM »
He didn't raise enough hell! but instead comfortably sat idly by and collect a paycheck while these neanderthals were destroying our football.

it's hard for me to respect this man knowing that he was working for the ministry of sports and was independent of the TTFF, and didn't have enough balls to call out jack and camps on the inadequate hack job they was doing with T&T football!

all along i thought this fella was under the TTFF, and was surprised to find out that he was actually hired by the ministry. after 5 yrs, not one solitary academy, not one high school up grade on coaching requirement, but he's ah fackin technical director.  another waste of time oldman.     :frustrated:

Hey JC, yuh was missing in action for a while!

Did you read Flex's interview with LP?

If not then here it is http://www.socawarriors.net/mens-senior-team/8906-lincoln-phillips-gets-technical.html
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 10:35:58 PM »

Hey JC, yuh was missing in action for a while!

Did you read Flex's interview with LP?

If not then here it is http://www.socawarriors.net/mens-senior-team/8906-lincoln-phillips-gets-technical.html

Class! Pro ah like how yuh handle that.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 10:56:19 AM »

Aye LP  could put forward all the plans/proposals/ideas  as he wants but the TTFF has to buy into it ....  AND DEVELOPING FOOTBALL WAS NOT ON THEIR AGENDA ... but he is responsible for all the coaching seminars etc
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 11:04:58 AM by Trini _2014 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 11:19:31 AM »
Funny how everyone will claim they were responsible for the T&T team qualifying for W/C yet before Beenie no one seemed as forthcoming . It was the same underperforming team that was transformed ...together with the seasoned pros ...who came from outside ...go way Lincoln ....you eh getting no pips there !

i hope he has a chapter on his contribution concerning the impass with the players ..how it destroyed our football and we haven't yet recovered ... how he stayed silent when in position to speak up .... how the same players who brought us fame were and still are owed !!!

You want to give us a book now ?? when a few words at the right time would have served ???
To hear this man talk ...even I was taken in ...he knows his stuff ..one can hardly deny that ...but like spider man he acted as " how is that  my affair " . Now that the effects of silence is known you want to tell us what ??

You Lincoln have disappointed many who looked to you ...a voice from within ..... but you stayed silent . I expect that many more insider experts will tell us now how football can progress .Now that jack gone every chicken have teeth !! ...and i choose my words carefully ...every CHICKEN ...have teeth.

I will end by reminding Mr Phillips of a phrase ...all that is required for evil to continue is that good men do nothing .....and in the matter concerning the future of T&T footballers and future ....you did just that.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 11:27:58 AM »
...you were technical director of football ...you see some of the best players in the country blacklisted ..you saw how this was affecting our football ....you said and did nothing ... look dont get me started nah !!
I suggest you put that book on the shelf ..next to the one meh pardner Tino wrote ..biography of jack Warner ...dat nobody read ...maybe when they have a commission of inquiry on the rise and fall of T&T football .....when none ah we still alive ...they will examine the contribution to that from the two ah allyuh !

Much is expected ..sah ..from those to whom much is given ....

1]; } ?>