April 19, 2024, 06:02:17 AM

Author Topic: Meniscal Tear.  (Read 2834 times)

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Meniscal Tear.
« on: July 27, 2011, 05:08:49 PM »
I know quite a lot of the blokes on this site are sportsmen but have any of you ever suffered a 'meniscal tear' in the knee,many sportsmen do get it,how well do they recover and do they ever get back into sports.I am having my right knee done on the 9th August and hope I can get back to my sports.I was kicked on my knee in 2005 but carried on with my activities and it just got worse.Would like to hear from anyone.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Meniscal Tear.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 05:13:53 PM »
medial meniscus tear 4 times..all the times went under the knife..If it is just a tear and they shave it down and don't have to remove the whole meniscus then there is no reason with a lil rehab that you can't get back into sports.
Personally I also did my ACL and i still playing. The knee eh great but nothing a lil ice cant help
Once it was pretty bad and i was on crutches for 4 weeks. All the other tears were a lot smaller and i usually walked the next day with a cane for a max of 2 weeks and was usually back running in 4-6
Back in Trini...

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 05:23:14 PM »
medial meniscus tear 4 times..all the times went under the knife..If it is just a tear and they shave it down and don't have to remove the whole meniscus then there is no reason with a lil rehab that you can't get back into sports.
Personally I also did my ACL and i still playing. The knee eh great but nothing a lil ice cant help
Once it was pretty bad and i was on crutches for 4 weeks. All the other tears were a lot smaller and i usually walked the next day with a cane for a max of 2 weeks and was usually back running in 4-6

Had a Meniscus tear roughly  15 years ago when i was in 4th form (high school). Was the most terrifying 2 months of my life. Never did surgery, so it took a good  4 weeks before i could hobble around on my own...and further 4 weeks before I could attempt to do a light jog. 5 years after, was playing football again when suddenly the same knee gave way. I was again out of commission for about a week. ?Havent had a recurrence since then, mainly because I've given up terrorizing defenders now, but just the other day I was kicking a ball in the back-yard when i felt a little twitch in the knee.

Maybe the next tear will neccesitate going under the knife.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 06:02:40 PM »
The thing is I played football for quite a number of years but never got any major damage but I suspect it happened at Krav Maga training,I dont mind giving up football but it would be a big blow to stop that coz I had planned on opening a school with a friend who is a top trainer.
Thanks RF and NYtriniwhiteboy.

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 06:19:51 PM »
I know quite a lot of the blokes on this site are sportsmen but have any of you ever suffered a 'meniscal tear' in the knee,many sportsmen do get it,how well do they recover and do they ever get back into sports.I am having my right knee done on the 9th August and hope I can get back to my sports.I was kicked on my knee in 2005 but carried on with my activities and it just got worse.Would like to hear from anyone.

I depends on the type and size of the tear. Most times people would complain of the knee clicking or locking. Some people do fine just with rehab, others have surgery where they typically shave down the torn areas of meniscus. Usually by 4-6 weeks they are back to normal (full motion etc) but it may take a few more weeks to get strength and balance back to where the knee can deal with match situations. It is usually a simple thing.

Meniscus repairs (where they have to stitch down the meniscus) take longer, but those are rare cases.

BTW......to avoid reinjury, doh fall for "the spanner" or "drag" so easily......lol :beermug:
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 10:29:35 PM »
I had slight meniscus tears in both knees, thankful the doctor said I didn't have to go under the knife. I had to go through a lot of rest and rehab, and now they're good as new....

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 02:17:11 AM »
Conquering Lion:
Seems like you do some Krav I got into it by mistake coz my mate had a school and I paid a visit one evening,I got hooked and have been training for bout 5 years now,i am not a regimented person and sometimes keep away for weeks but do know enough to defend myself,there are always idiots about.I am quite worried because reading the MRI scan is quite scary coz it appears that I had damage that goes back to at least 15 years but did nothing about it,the damage to the right side appears quite old but the left side is recent bout 5 years ago.Thanks fuh de advice mate.

Offline kiffysmooth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 10:57:07 AM »
Frico,

I had the same type of injury in 2003.  I continued playing on it for 7 years, and finally I had an operation done in November of last year.  The good news is that there is a new procedure for this type of injury, and you would be out of the operating room the same day and able to walk normal after 3 days.  It is called "knee arthroscopy".  The doctor makes two small incisions on either side of your knee (the size of a half ah channa)and runs a telescope through one side and repairs the tear from the other side.  Really really cool procedure.. these are the pictures of my meniscus from the operation.  One shows the good knee and the other shows the tear on the bad knee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 11:16:27 AM »
Frico,

I had the same type of injury in 2003.  I continued playing on it for 7 years, and finally I had an operation done in November of last year.  The good news is that there is a new procedure for this type of injury, and you would be out of the operating room the same day and able to walk normal after 3 days.  It is called "knee arthroscopy".  The doctor makes two small incisions on either side of your knee (the size of a half ah channa)and runs a telescope through one side and repairs the tear from the other side.  Really really cool procedure.. these are the pictures of my meniscus from the operation.  One shows the good knee and the other shows the tear on the bad knee

arthroscopy aint new at all unless u consider a surgery that is general practice from the 90s new. It does however bring down the amount of time for recovery. But again, all depends on how bad the tear is. All my knee meniscus surgeries were done arthroscopically but all had different recovery times due to the type of tears. Just don't want you to think just because it is done arthroscopically that you are guaranteed to be able to walk normal after three days, we have had the problem here at the hospital i am at with patients expecting recovery times to be the same as their friend's. Then they are very disappointed if it is a tear like my first one that required the meniscus to be stitched together and take longer
If yuh brave yuh cud ask for local anesthetic and u can watch ur own surgery. Although most doctors don't tell you about that option until u say u have a fear of going under general.
Back in Trini...

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 11:25:56 AM »
Frico,

arthroscopy aint new at all unless u consider a surgery that is general practice from the 90s new. It does however bring down the amount of time for recovery. But again, all depends on how bad the tear is. All my knee meniscus surgeries were done arthroscopically but all had different recovery times due to the type of tears. Just don't want you to think just because it is done arthroscopically that you are guaranteed to be able to walk normal after three days, we have had the problem here at the hospital i am at with patients expecting recovery times to be the same as their friend's. Then they are very disappointed if it is a tear like my first one that required the meniscus to be stitched together and take longer
If yuh brave yuh cud ask for local anesthetic and u can watch ur own surgery. Although most doctors don't tell you about that option until u say u have a fear of going under general.

yea, it's not new. had a meniscus tear and did "anthro...yadayada" in 2006. woke up in the middle of the surgery all kind a thing. was able to walk out the hospital with a cane and got the cast off in about 2 weeks. the toughest part is the physiotherapy to restrengthen. in the little bit of time that my leg was in the cast some serious muscle entropy took place.

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 11:58:56 AM »
A bag ah break up men on this site boy lol. I had arthroscopic surgery to do the same shave down surgery on the meniscus as well as had my ACL replaced with a cadaver donor back in 08. Took about a year of rehab before I was brave enough to kick a ball tho, but haven't had major issues since, knock on wood.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 12:03:38 PM »
Tore mines in Iraq... healed and treated it well, ran 7 marathons on it since... (knock on wood)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 12:27:59 PM »
A bag ah break up men on this site boy lol. I had arthroscopic surgery to do the same shave down surgery on the meniscus as well as had my ACL replaced with a cadaver donor back in 08. Took about a year of rehab before I was brave enough to kick a ball tho, but haven't had major issues since, knock on wood.

fitzy i know i being fass but any particular reason u went for the cadaver donor rather than yuh patella ligament or hamstring?
I know how it is with eh being brave enough to kick ball..took me a solid ten mths and that was with rehab 5 times a week
Back in Trini...

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 12:50:43 PM »

fitzy i know i being fass but any particular reason u went for the cadaver donor rather than yuh patella ligament or hamstring?
I know how it is with eh being brave enough to kick ball..took me a solid ten mths and that was with rehab 5 times a week

A year? Ten months? Thank goodness I didn't have ACL damage. I would a die being unable to kick a ball for so long. I so tusty I would a probably be kicking a ball in half the time and end back up on a operator table. Lol

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 02:42:38 PM »
minor issue you will be good to play in 6 weeks in 2 years you will not even feel it.

depending on your age in 20 years you may have some problems due to bone on bone rubbing but by then you could take an injection and it will be fixed.

1]; } ?>