April 16, 2024, 01:05:02 AM

Author Topic: Top European clubs threaten to break away from Fifa and Uefa  (Read 2245 times)

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
Top European clubs threaten to break away from Fifa and Uefa

• ECA teams unhappy about finances and international fixtures
• Clubs may bypass governing bodies and run their own affairs

Matt Scott

guardian.co.uk,   
Wednesday 27 July 2011

Clubs are poised for a showdown with the Fifa president, Sepp Blatter, unless they get assurances from the football's governing body. Photograph: Arnd Wiegmann/Reuters
European clubs will break away from Fifa and Uefa and create their own super league unless the world governing body urgently addresses their growing concerns over international fixtures and finances. It would be the most radical development in the history of football since the first World Cup in 1930, ripping up the established world order of the game and seizing power from Sepp Blatter, Fifa's president.

The Guardian can reveal the background to Karl-Heinz Rummenigge's comments on Tuesday about a "revolution" for football: a European super league that would see the clubs seize control of their own affairs from the regulators. The European game is currently ordered through a memorandum of understanding between clubs and Uefa that was signed three and a half years ago. It runs until 2014, and when it expires the top European clubs will no longer be legally bound to play in Uefa's Champions League or, crucially, to release their players for international friendlies or tournaments, including the World Cup.

In a reflection of their belief that Fifa lacks legitimacy – especially in the wake of the damaging bribery allegations currently surrounding the organisation – the clubs will not shrink from breaking away if they do not receive sufficient guarantees.

A board member of the European Club Association of which Bayern Munich's Rummenigge is president told the Guardian on Wednesday: "The fact that Bayern Munich, who have always been close to the institutions, are being so vocal and loud about the situation is a clear sign we're very close to breaking point. We have a memorandum of understanding with Uefa that expires in 2014. After that time we can no longer be forced to respect Fifa statutes or Uefa regulations. And we won't be obliged to compete in their competitions."

When asked what that would mean for clubs' finances if they were to withdraw from the Champions League, which generates tens of millions of pounds a year for his organisation's richest and most influential members, the ECA board member responded: "Don't be naive. Don't think there would be no alternative competition."

Although the ECA has a broad constituency, representing 197 European clubs, it is the interests of nine in particular that will drive this agenda. They are Real Madrid, Milan, Liverpool, Internazionale, Manchester United, Barcelona, Arsenal, Chelsea and Rummenigge's Bayern. When the Guardian contacted the four English clubs for their views on the matter, all declined to comment. However, a director at one of the clubs said: "[Financially] there is a lot of unfulfilled potential in football as it stands."

The English experience of the past 20 years, since a breakaway group of the leading clubs withdrew from the Football League to form the Premier League (albeit under the auspices of the Football Association), has been exceptionally lucrative for the game domestically and the hawks within the ECA are pushing for a replica at European level.

The news will not come as a surprise at Uefa where in some quarters there is a long-held view that the clubs will seek to go their own way. This has arisen from a number of points of conflict with the world football authorities. As revealed by the Guardian last month there is considerable disquiet about perceived moves to expand the international calendar, forcing clubs to release their expensively remunerated players to national associations without any payback. Fifa denies there have been any discussions about the subject but the ECA source claimed that the matter will be ratified at a Fifa executive-committee meeting in the autumn. As is consistent with relations between Fifa and the clubs, the decision will have been taken without any formal negotiations with the clubs about how the additional fixtures would be accommodated.

There is a further grievance, this time with Uefa about insurance. The ECA alleges Uefa has pulled back from its commitment to provide insurance for players who are called up for international duty. "Uefa said we would have our insurance after their presidential elections [in March]," the source said. "Now the elections have taken place and we're still waiting for talks." A spokesman for Uefa did not respond to the Guardian's call.

Yet despite the details of the enduring dispute between the clubs and Fifa and Uefa, there is an overriding financial motive. "When you have every club losing money every year and the only winners the players and Fifa," the source said, "how can that be allowed to go on?"

Six key questions on why top clubs could stage a European revolt
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 12:00:24 PM by JDB »
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Top European clubs threaten to break away from Fifa and Uefa
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 12:58:27 PM »
Interesting.

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 02:39:47 PM »
i think ultemately FIFA and the world cup as we know it will crash. There is a lot of money involved and some people will always try to get more than they are currently getting.

Havalanch and now blatter have taken away power and money from europe and try to redistribute it to smaller regions, Jack was instrimental in this and UEFA has been pissed ever since.

They always complain about spots in the world cup money etc.

money keeps them quiet but eventually you need to pay more and more.

The pendulum will swing back and forth.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 03:00:24 PM »
i think ultemately FIFA and the world cup as we know it will crash. There is a lot of money involved and some people will always try to get more than they are currently getting.

Havalanch and now blatter have taken away power and money from europe and try to redistribute it to smaller regions, Jack was instrimental in this and UEFA has been pissed ever since.

I wondering..but I not so sure.
Some friends of mine were debating about their hatred of international football. I actually love it...because it more or less..requires more work than simply sinking money into something to achieve success.

International football has as its highlight the World Cup. Not every team has a chance of qualifying once or if at all. But in this kind of environment, it makes it even harder to participate at the "pinacle" because if you not a player on the roster of any of these elite teams...you have no chance. You then have to hope that your performances in other teams gives you an opportunity to get into one of those teams..and then achieve that success.

Compare that to the World Cup where you have a chance to put things in place and prepare. You could start youth development.....build on a platform and then have a generation that can make it. Yes money is needed to achieve this...but....you doh have obscene amounts being thrown around for no reason. It cant be"xyz is the next big thing..throw money at him and get him."

I dunno if I looking at it too simplistically...but thats how i feel. I not sure how to feel about this proposal to be honest. It just makes it more and more about the power of the dollar.

Think about it....if you ask a player which he would rather win...UEFA Champions League or a FIFA World Cup...which would you think he would pick?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 03:31:37 PM »

Some friends of mine were debating about their hatred of international football. I actually love it...because it more or less..requires more work than simply sinking money into something to achieve success.

International football has as its highlight the World Cup. Not every team has a chance of qualifying once or if at all. But in this kind of environment, it makes it even harder to participate at the "pinacle" because if you not a player on the roster of any of these elite teams...you have no chance. You then have to hope that your performances in other teams gives you an opportunity to get into one of those teams..and then achieve that success.

Compare that to the World Cup where you have a chance to put things in place and prepare. You could start youth development.....build on a platform and then have a generation that can make it. Yes money is needed to achieve this...but....you doh have obscene amounts being thrown around for no reason. It cant be"xyz is the next big thing..throw money at him and get him."

I dunno if I looking at it too simplistically...but thats how i feel. I not sure how to feel about this proposal to be honest. It just makes it more and more about the power of the dollar.

Think about it....if you ask a player which he would rather win...UEFA Champions League or a FIFA World Cup...which would you think he would pick?

I most ask are some of your friends british? It seems like mostly only brits have a distain for international football, maybe cause their teams suck. You never hear Brazillians, Spanish, etc.. talking about retiring from international football early and that international football sucks. Everyone acknowledges that the Champions League is a higher quality than international football but most non brits still enjoy it best.

Funny think is i think this will be awful for British football because it will create even more of a disconnect. First foreign owners then there will be less and less brits on any of these teams. You think Man City & Arsenal care about having British talent, and Inter Milan care about having Italian players. These clubs will make their own rules and i guarantee you that it will not include a quota on player nationalities.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 04:39:42 PM »

I most ask are some of your friends british? It seems like mostly only brits have a distain for international football, maybe cause their teams suck. You never hear Brazillians, Spanish, etc.. talking about retiring from international football early and that international football sucks. Everyone acknowledges that the Champions League is a higher quality than international football but most non brits still enjoy it best.

Funny think is i think this will be awful for British football because it will create even more of a disconnect. First foreign owners then there will be less and less brits on any of these teams. You think Man City & Arsenal care about having British talent, and Inter Milan care about having Italian players. These clubs will make their own rules and i guarantee you that it will not include a quota on player nationalities.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

dude your closing points on this subject were simply ( in my opinion) Dynamite!  Which club is going to put up with an aging Lampard or Gerrard!
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 06:06:00 AM »
I'm not sure how it is now, but certainly English supporters used to feel that International football was the best football. Aside from supporters of the club playing in a Champions League match, every other supporter would prefer to be watching England. A Chelsea supporter would only watch Arsenal vs FC Bruges to cheer on Bruges.

English football supporters loyalties are: 1)Their club, 2) England 3)Smaller English clubs playing in Europe ......... 999) Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal  1000) Argentina

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 07:49:54 AM »
There is no comparison between club and country football.

All the wannabe Barca, Manu, Chelsea waggonist beat up alyuh chest...drunken hooray in a bar can in no way compare to the feeling you had when

TT play Guatemala and score in the dregs, when we play mexico and win, when we draw and beat bahrain and when we hold Sweden, 7 min to go vs England and see latas come on and tun up a man and pipe a shot vs paraguay.

Nuttin Nuttin Nuttin no club game could ever replicate that feeling.

No amount of Champions League win could ever ever come close to that day we qualify for our first WC.

Dat is why people does get vex with the national team...cause they know they ent experiencing nuttin so in a hurry. Or when yuh could see the experience right there to happen again and a few imps start to do shit and take it away from you.

Intl football is the Best.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 08:22:29 AM »

All the wannabe Barca, Manu, Chelsea waggonist beat up alyuh chest...drunken hooray in a bar can in no way compare to the feeling you had when

TT play Guatemala and score in the dregs, when we play mexico and win, when we draw and beat bahrain and when we hold Sweden, 7 min to go vs England and see latas come on and tun up a man and pipe a shot vs paraguay.

No amount of Champions League win could ever ever come close to that day we qualify for our first WC.

Dat is why people does get vex with the national team...cause they know they ent experiencing nuttin so in a hurry. Or when yuh could see the experience right there to happen again and a few imps start to do shit and take it away from you.

You say this because you never follow a club your whole life like the fans in Europe and south america.

for them is day in day out

hard core love for the club

It is a religion vs the once every 2 years for international football

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 09:58:03 AM »

You say this because you never follow a club your whole life like the fans in Europe and south america.

for them is day in day out

hard core love for the club

It is a religion vs the once every 2 years for international football

International football doh hadda just be about the World Cup qualifications.
Men performance for their club teams...club moves etc...the point is..you take an interest in what impacts on your team.

Its the same thinking for a club. Even worse you grow up.....as a citizen of a country. Club allegiances could change. Yesterday I realised Trinidad have Manchester City fans....I wondering when that happened.

Offline rastafari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 11:00:29 AM »

Touches talking sense, club football can't replicate the feeling of international football.
St francois nationals is my local club and i love them because i am from belmont but the soca warriors is my passion when it comes to football. I am not passionate about no other team like them, after all this website is proof of that passion i have for them. The soca warriors is why we are all here! Doh try that.

JAH BLESS RASTAFARI

1]; } ?>