April 24, 2024, 01:31:31 AM

Author Topic: Spy versus Spy!  (Read 649 times)

Offline Die_Hard

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Spy versus Spy!
« on: August 16, 2011, 10:08:19 AM »
The following article in today's Trinidad Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2011/08/16/ministers-mum-cellphone-tapping) bears testimony clear and eloquent.

Even though legislation was passed to govern use of wire-tapping by government agencies, a most notable aspect of this article is the sudden and dramatic about-face by Ministers of this government in their attitude to wire-tapping.

Let's go back a bit. In the midst of the Fazeer Mohammed controvesry, we had our Prime Minister dearest landing at the airport with "shocking revelations" that former Prime Minister Patrick Manning had engaged in the "illegal" wire-tapping of citizens.

In the parliament, she read out the names of persons who were allegedly wire-tapped by Manning. She swore to disband the SIA, and she even fired its then Director, Nigel Clement. We had the loud and garrilous fulminations of Suruj Rambachan, Jack Warner, Anand Ramlogan, Tim Gopeesingh and others all blowing fire and brimstone against the former Prime Minister for "invading the privacy" of citizens. We even heard of attempts and intent to destroy "the SIA files". When concerned citizens and people knowledgeable in these matters denounced this clear breach of national security, nobody cared. It was all politics then - "call name!", "jail dem!"..etc, etc, etc...

Now everybody gone quiet.

Suddenly out of the clear blue sky, Kamla and Suruj have become aware of wire-tapping as en essential tool of national security.

Today there is no reading out of the names of "wire tappees", no strident call for the disabling of wire-tapping apparatus. And curiously enough, nobody went to any judge in chambers to get a warrant to do any wire-tapping. Now out of favour with most of his fellow cabinet members, the yapping shrieks of parliamentay pitbull Jack Warner have been reduced to mournful whimpers or total silence. After all, HE may be on the new list of wire-tappees.

Where are the PP supporters, many of whom behaved as if wire-tapping was the greatest possible wrongdoing that should NEVER be done by ANY government.

Where are they now??

What are they saying??

How do they feel??

What was once a sin under Manning has now become a sincere concern for national security under Kamla, right??

I mean, after all, she has the uneviable task of averting a national strike, yes?? So she has the most plausible excuse to tap the phones of people like Ancil Roget, Anand Ramesar, Keith Rowley, Fitzgerald Hinds and God alone knows who else. "It's a matter of national security".

The other disturbing aspect of this matter is the following as quoted from the Guardian article cited above:

"In a letter to Government, Dorian said Digicel was contractually obligated to protect the privacy of customers and could only deviate from duties where clearly required to do so by legislation. He said Digicel had offered full support but this co-operation had not been reciprocated by the SSA."

Let's read that again....." He said Digicel had offered full support but this co-operation had not been reciprocated by the SSA."

So after all the mocking pretence of sincerity, bringing legislation to parliamnent to cloak wire-tapping activities under a legal framework - with the almost-unanimuous support of the opposition PNM, we now have a situation where the CEO of a mobile network is expressing concern that the SSA is not cooperating!!

How sweet!!

Is the SSA not living up to its terms of the legal provisions of the Interception of Communications Bill 2010 that was tabled by Kamla and passed with such fanfare?? Or have Kamla, Suruj, Tim, Sandy, and Co. had their "road to Damascus" moment where they now suddenly realize, as Patrick Manning knew all along, that wire-tapping in the interest of national security is a VERY tricky matter from a strict legal perspective?? Oh what a crisp and sharp about-turn!!

The soldiers of the TTDF must be livid green with envy...These people could march!!

Are we seeing the beginnings of the of the very same Prime Ministerial abuse that Kamla had so loudly denounced Manning for?? Personally, it looks that way to me, and I know I'm not the only one. If I am wrong, I would be delirously ecstatic with the joy of having been wrong on this matter.

1]; } ?>