Lest continue this discussion on the prospects of our T&T athletes for next season & Olympics!
Please name the T&T athlete you are supporting and then give some positive feedback on what you think they need to do to improve enough to make the finals at Olympics next year and hopefully medal!
The aim is to have at least one T&T athlete making the finals in all these events for both our men & women:-
Men: 100m, 200m, 400m, 110mH, 400mH, 4 x 100m relay, 4 x 400m relay, Shot Put, Discus
Women: 100m, 200m, 400m, 100mH, 400mH, 4 x 100m relay, 4 x 400m relay, Shop Put, Discus
So Iíll get started; Iím supporting Richard Thompson and this is what I would like to see my athlete do next season to assure that he does not only make the Olympic 100m final (& hopefully 200m final as well) but is a serious medal contender who can sub-10 (or sub-20) when required to always be one of the top 2 or 3 finishers in his races;
So these are the things I want to see RT do for next season to help him establish himself as one of the top 5 ranked sprinters in the world:
1. Build a bit more muscle to help generate more power for the last 50 meters of his race to increase his top end speed so he can hit another gear if required.
2. Run more 200ms to help build his top end speed endurance.
3. Improve his starts so that he can consistently match fast starters like Kim Collins & Asafa Powell.
4. Start running more regular sub-10s so it becomes something he can do as will whenever required.
5. Equal or set a new 100m & 200m PBs before Olympics to confirm your form and preferably outside of T&T and before the T&T Olympic trials.
6. Run a sub-20 for the 200m.
7. Defend national 100m title?
8. Also qualifying to also run the 200m at Olympics
9. Donít allow old man Kim Collins to beat you so many times next season otherwise folks may start calling for Ato to come back out of retirement as well!
In fact I'd like to see these things from all our sprinters but Richard is the man who I feel as real potential to run a 9.7x if all things come together for him on the right day with the right conditions.
In fact RT's aim for next year should be to match and beat Yohan Blake who is younger than him but he'll have to be prepared to work just as hard as Blake or even harder to catch up with him!!