April 18, 2024, 08:12:16 PM

Author Topic: The Lightning Bolt Road Show!!  (Read 31032 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
The Lightning Bolt Road Show!!
« on: September 28, 2011, 07:10:38 PM »
As the World’s Fastest Man sprints around the globe making various charity appearances and giving interviews, etc, I've decided to create a thread featuring these appearances and what he has to say on various T&F topics so here goes!

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/Usain-Bolt-talks-rivals-at-charity-event

Usain Bolt talks rivals at charity event
Wednesday, September 28, 2011

BEVERLY HILLS, USA (AP) — Usain Bolt said he was kidding when he said "all the tutoring stopped" after training partner Yohan Blake ran the 200 metres in 19.26 seconds earlier this month.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NKXhPIQe9Xk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NKXhPIQe9Xk</a>

"I was laughing when I actually said it," Bolt said yesterday.

Blake's time in a meet at Brussels was the second fastest 200 in history, just 0.07 seconds off Bolt's world record.

Bolt was in California to raise US$100,000 for his foundation and talked about his false start at the world championships and his plans between now and next summer's London Olympics.

Bolt said he believes people are looking for controversy.

He and Blake are countrymen, and some believe it's Blake who's Bolt's toughest competition in London.

Bolt said it wasn't true.

"Everything's right with me and Blake," he said before calling Blake "the future of Jamaica. He's the one. ... If he beats me, so be it. I don't want him to."

Bolt said no one in particular is his biggest rival and that he doesn't focus on any single competitor.

"First they said it was Tyson Gay, and then they said it was Asafa Powell. Then all of a sudden, they said it's Blake," Bolt said.

"You can't focus your energy on one person, and then they drop out. What do you do? I focus on the seven people in the lanes with me."

Bolt also looked back at last month's default out of the 100 metres in Daegu, South Korea, for jumping the gun, an event that caused him to rethink the sport's policy of disqualifying anyone who false starts.

He said it never was a problem for him because he had never done it before.

Now, "they really should go back to one false start and charge it to the field. It's easier. Somebody makes one mistake and everybody can relax."

Up next for Bolt is a vacation to Las Vegas this weekend, a place he has never visited.

Training for the Olympics begins next month. Once the Olympics come, he has a goal: not just run fast enough to win the gold medal, but to amaze and leave everyone awestruck.

"I want to go to the Olympics and wow people," he said. "I want to be a legend."
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 06:57:26 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Lightning Bolt Road Show!!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 07:17:05 PM »
http://www.trackalerts.com/news/5799-gay-faces-difficult-times-next-season-bolt

Gay faces difficult times next season - Bolt
Wednesday, 28 September 2011 15:16 By Anthony Foster, anthonyfos@gmail.com

Usain Bolt, the 100 and 200 metres record holder, said it's going to be very hard for Tyson Gay when he returns to the track next year.

In June, Gay, the second-fastest man in history, pulled out of the US Championships, which ended his 2011 season. Gay's manager Mark Wetmore confirmed at the time that the American record holder was forced to withdraw from the championships after he was unable to warm up due to a hip and adductor problem on his right side.

This Bolt hinted is no simple injury, which forced him to come to the conclusion that things may not be the same on his return.

"I've been listening around, and I think it's going to be really hard for Tyson. Coming back from a hip injury … I think he's still in rehab now and will be in rehab for a while. I just think it's going to be very hard for him to come back next year."

Gay beat Bolt in the men's 200m at the 2007 World Championships in Osaka, Japan, but lost the Berlin World Champs 100m to the Jamaican.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 08:04:30 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 09:53:58 PM »
Usain Bolt: 'Tyson Gay hates my guts' (2010 Interview) :laugh:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Agip3HTUReI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Agip3HTUReI</a>
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 10:00:54 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 10:27:50 PM »
Usain Bolt working on possible 9.4x for 100m @ London Olympics!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/NR/1/v/IzEJ9Slw4TA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/NR/1/v/IzEJ9Slw4TA</a>

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 09:17:44 AM »
http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/archives/bbc1_acquires_usain_bolt_documentary/#comments

BBC1 Acquires Usain Bolt Documentary
Posted at 7:40 pm on October 4, 201

Titled Usain Bolt: The Fastest Man Alive, the two-part 2-hour long documentary centered on the Olympic and World 100 meter record holder, has been picked up by BBC1.

Director Gael Leiblang has been following Bolt around over the last year (and will continue to do so), filming him exclusively as he prepares for the London 2012 Olympics, intimately in his home environment with his relatives, friends and coach (part 1, available in early 2012), as well as the lead up to the 2012 Olympics, as Bolt prepares for the games, and eventually participates in them (part 2, available immediately after the 2012 Olympics).

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 09:52:31 AM »
http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/archives/bbc1_acquires_usain_bolt_documentary/#comments

BBC1 Acquires Usain Bolt Documentary
Posted at 7:40 pm on October 4, 201

Titled Usain Bolt: The Fastest Man Alive, the two-part 2-hour long documentary centered on the Olympic and World 100 meter record holder, has been picked up by BBC1.

Director Gael Leiblang has been following Bolt around over the last year (and will continue to do so), filming him exclusively as he prepares for the London 2012 Olympics, intimately in his home environment with his relatives, friends and coach (part 1, available in early 2012), as well as the lead up to the 2012 Olympics, as Bolt prepares for the games, and eventually participates in them (part 2, available immediately after the 2012 Olympics).

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qmwAVcmVYs4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/qmwAVcmVYs4</a>
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 12:58:28 PM »
Usain Bolt with the World's fastest 100m Wine!! ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0N4VcTWa0uM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0N4VcTWa0uM</a>

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 07:30:10 PM »
Well, I propose a fair exchange:
Bolt train a Trini sprinter in the 100m
The Trini teach him how to wine.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 10:55:57 PM »
Usain Bolt talks about staying focused & achieving his goal!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vCBRzkJ5eu8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/vCBRzkJ5eu8</a>
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 10:57:58 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Usain Bolt: I want to become a legend
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 10:23:25 PM »
http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite5_1_19/10/2011_411174

Usain Bolt: I want to become a legend
Jamaican sprint recordholder reminds Kathimerini that Greek state still owes him money

By George Georgakopoulos and Spyridoula Spanea
ekathimerini.com , Wednesday October 19, 2011 (20:51)   

If in the cartoon world Lucky Luke is the man known to shoot faster than his shadow, in the real world Usain Bolt is the only man whose shadow has trouble catching up with him.

Kathimerini chased the Jamaican sprint superstar and managed to get him to stay still for a few minutes, only to be stunned by the targets that the world recordholder in the 100, 200 and 4x100 meters has set for his future.
Fast and snappy in his answers, just like on the track, Bolt doesn’t waste any time before voicing his thoughts. The false start in the 100-meter final in the recent World Championships in Daegu, South Korea, was a letdown for the sprinter but he hasn’t let it hold him back.

“It was disappointing not to defend my 100 m title, but I was happy to win the 200 m and 4x100 m and then run the world’s fastest 100 m time in Brussels,” he said, referring to the meet back in September where he clocked 9.76 seconds.

Asked how the false-start rules could be improved, he appeared to accept the responsibility for his mistake, saying, “I don’t really have a problem with the rules.”

- How do you think you’ll look back on your experience in Daegu after a few years’ time?
- There is no point dwelling on it. I’m just moving on and aiming for the Olympic Games next year.

- How far do you think you can take the 100 m and 200 m records?
- I mainly concentrate on winning titles instead of breaking records. Next year is all about the Olympic Games.

The appeal of the athletics world’s biggest event for the 25-year-old star appears to be inspiring him in other directions as well. Asked whether he would be tempted to try matching Jesse Owens’s and Carl Lewis’s four gold medals in one Olympics by having a go at the long jump too, he admitted: “I would like to try it one time in the future as I think I could do well in it.” However, he does not intend to pursue breaking Michael Johnson’s 400-meter record just yet.

The charismatic figure that he is, Bolt savors people’s attention and revels in it like a young child. At the age of 25, having already come so far, the question is how much more he thinks he can achieve. Living up to his “Lightning” nickname, the response is immediate, not to mention thunderous: “My aim is to become a legend and to do this I want to keep winning Olympic and World titles.”

Similarly, Bolt has no qualms about calling himself the best sprinter ever, stressing that “I am the fastest of all time, ain’t I?”

And yet, when playing cricket at school in the parish of Trelawny, northwestern Jamaica, one doubts he could have imagined what the future held for him.

“I started off playing cricket and then my teacher advised me to try sprinting. I had a very happy childhood. I was a very active child,” he told Kathimerini.

Despite the medals, the world records and the huge amounts of money that accompany them, the sprinter still seems to have kept his two feet on the ground, metaphorically speaking, of course. “I think I am still the same person. I have the same family and do the same things. I still have the same friends as I always had and see them regularly,” Bolt, also known to be a fan of reggae, clubbing and beautiful women, said.

- Do you always train as hard, or do you sometimes reach the point where you’ve had enough?
- To be successful in track and field, you have to train very hard and be focused.

- What is your response to those who say that your records are out of this world?
- Thank you -- that is a nice compliment.

Greek account to settle

Bolt still has some accounts to settle with Greece, though. The Jamaican bullet has taken part in meetings in this country, but is yet to be paid for taking part in the 2009 World Athletics Final in Thessaloniki.

- Would you compete in Greece again, considering the Greek state’s failure to pay you?
- I hope they will pay the money owed soon.

- How much money does the state still owe you from the Thessaloniki meeting in 2009?
- I do not discuss my finances in the media.

Despite its outstanding debt, the athlete appears to have a positive opinion of Greece: “It is a nice country -- good weather and I hear you have a lot of nice islands, although I haven’t visited them yet.”

Jamaica is also a rather small country which enjoys great weather; however the Caribbean island has come to dominate the sprinting world in recent years. What is Bolt’s explanation for that? “Jamaica has a lot of talent and nowadays everyone wants to be a sprinter. We have great coaches, good weather and inspiring role models.”

When discussing soccer, his hobby, he steps down from his superstar status into that of an ordinary fan who also loves playing the game. In recent months he has even claimed he would like to get more serious about it one day, so Kathimerini put him on the spot.

- Could you really play football on a professional level one day? Are you as good with a football as you are on the track?
-I would like to try to play soccer when I retire. I don’t know what level I could play at but I would love to give it a go.

- Would you really ask for a trial at Manchester United?
- I support Manchester United and it would be a dream to play for them, but their standard is very high.

- Will United be able to beat Barcelona this year?
- I hope so -- they look good so far this year.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What it takes to be a Legend. Bolt's Quest
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 03:55:29 PM »
http://allsportsja.com/editorials/10/24/2011/what-it-takes-be-legend-bolts-quest.html

What it takes to be a Legend. Bolt's Quest 
If Usain Bolt REALLY wants to be a legend, he would attempt to win four gold medals at the London Olympics next year.
By Lex 19

Forget what you’ve heard about Usain Bolt deliberately false starting in the 100 metres at the recently concluded World Championships in Deagu because he was somehow afraid he would be upstaged by his young training partner, Yohan Blake.
Forget too that supposed 19.26 second fastest of all time 200 metres that Blake ran at the season ending Diamond League meet in Brussels. Either the wind readings were off or the clock wasn’t working. Blake will never run that fast again. Heck, even perennial bridesmaid Walter Dix ran an out-of-worldly 19.53 in the same race. Something was definitely weird about those times. 

Today’s athletes regularly do the unimaginable and so we tend to get bored with the stupendous, always looking for drama where there isn’t any. You won’t find any in London. Barring injury, Usain Bolt will not only win the sprint double in London next year, he will decimate the field, Blake included.
This will surely be an historic accomplishment. No man has ever repeated as Olympic champion in both events[1].

The sprint relay should also be a cakewalk as long as the Jamaicans get the baton around without a hitch. The US is no longer a threat given Tyson Gay’s hip issues. A more cynical observer may wonder about the legitimacy of the hip injury in light of the use of blood testing at the World Championships for the first time, but that’s outside my bailiwick. In any event, would anyone really be shocked if Gay never ran at a 9.7s level again? There’s nobody else to speak of from the US as Mike Rogers, is only the 102nd former US sprint champ to test positive for banned drugs and Walter Dix would have probably accomplished more winning as a running back at FSU, although the way the Seminoles played the past decade, maybe not.

So keeping count, that’s three gold medals in the bag for Mr. Bolt. That said, some might argue that for Bolt to truly distinguish himself as a legend he should attempt something truly remarkable, bringing home four gold medals from a single Olympic games. After all, even though most track and field aficionados discount the whole 80’s era in track and field as one steroid infested episode after another that made the steroid era in baseball in the 90’s look downright innocent by comparison, the record books show that Carl Lewis, (Mr. 'Who cares I failed drug test?') won four gold medals in 1984 and the truly great Jesse Owens did the same in 1936.

For Bolt to match this feat, he could either a) take up the long jump, b) run the event that many of his fans believe he was born to run, the 400 metres or c) run a leg onJamaica’s mile relay team.
Let’s eliminate the long jump possibility right now. Forget the fact that he’s never competed in the event at any level, Bolt would probably have a better chance of becoming the next Megatron in the NFL than beating either Dwight Phillips or Irving Saladino next year.

What about the flat 400 metres? To quote my good friend, Lee Corso, “not so fast my friend”. The schedule makes it impossible. The 100 metre semi-finals, final and 400 metres semi-finals will all be run on the same day. This sucks as Bolt could conceivably be the first athlete to sweep the sprints at a single games, but I digress.

The only reasonable option for a fourth gold medal is the mile relay. Let’s get the less compelling reasons out of the way first. Bolt’s 6-5 frame practically screams for the one lap event (see other Jamaican quarter mile greats over 6 feet, Herb Mckenley, Arthur Wint and Bert Cameron). Not enough?
How about the view that the Olympics men’s 400 metres remains the vestige of Jamaican athletic prowess in the hearts of old school Jamaican track observers, even if not actually so in the record books? (Shout out to Merlene Ottey).   
For an event he admittedly doesn’t like too much, Bolt sure has done well at in the past. As a 15 year old he ran 48.28 to capture the silver medal at the 2001 CARIFTA Games. The following year, he set the championship record for the U-17 category with a time of 47.33 s which still stands today. He’s gone on to better his 400 metre best time to 45.28 set at the 2007 Gibson Relays in Kingston and so as not to belabor the point, I won’t harp on his 43.58 4x400m split on the anchor leg for his Racers club in 2010 too much.

Sufficed to say, that with only limited participation in the event, there is enough evidence that Usain Bolt could be a championship contender at 400 metres, if he ever took the event seriously.
So could Bolt actually run a leg on the relay and more importantly could the Jamaican relay team actually win? On the first front, Sebastian Coe and company have done their part. The schedule sees the 200 metre final run on August 9th with the 4x400 relay final the following day (Bolt would only run in the final) and the sprint relay final the day after. Hectic? Yes, impossible? No.
With one less round for the first time in Olympic history in the individual events, Bolt should be able to manage the workload.

On the second question, history says it will be tough for any team to beat the US. The US has won every Olympic mile relay since 1976 and the depth in the squad has historically been astounding. Still, if the US was ever vulnerable, it would be now. The two class US quarter-milers both have issues. Jeremy Wariner, the 2004 Olympic champion and 2005 and 2007 World Champion hasn’t been seen on a track since June, shut down with a toe injury and was last at true world beating form nearly four years ago. We know how this plays out, he’s done. The reigning Olympic champion, LaShawn Meritt got beaten soundly in Deageu by the 18-year old phenom from Grenada, Kirani James. Although Merritt somehow got clearance to compete at the Olympics from the Court of Arbitration for Sport, chances are he won’t be quite the same runner without his male enhancement products. This weakened state of US 400 metre running was on full display at the World Championships as only a strong anchor leg from Merritt allowed the US to eek out a close win. It was the narrowest margin of victory I can remember.

The Jamaican team of Allodin Fothergill, Jermaine Gonzales, Riker Hylton and Leford Green earned a bronze medal in Daegu, the first medal at the World Championships since 2005. The return to form of a consistent 44.5s Ricardo Chambers and the insertion of Bolt would set up a true humdinger in the final, to quote the timeless Ed Barnes.

So there you have it, Usain Bolt, already the most dominant, if not flamboyant sprinter of the modern era (with apologies to Mo Green and Michael Johnson), has a legitimate chance to take home four gold medals next year. With the ‘World Boss’ behind bars, he should have less reason to party. Let’s hope he’s more Jordan than Barkley and actually pushes himself to be the best he can be.

Lex 19 watches too much sports on television. That’s the extent of his knowledge. This does not prevent him from espousing on topics he knows very little about.[1] Archie Hahn won the sprint double in 1904 and the 100 metres in 1906. There was no 200 meter event that year. Carl Lewis doubled as 100 metre Champion in 1984 and 1988 but finished second in the 200m in Seoul.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 04:06:36 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Honorary Doctor Usain Bolt
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 11:38:41 AM »
http://www.trackalerts.com/news/lead-stories/6011-honorary-doctor-usain-bolt

Honorary Doctor Usain Bolt
Friday, 04 November 2011 08:09 By Alfonz Juck

KINGSTON, Jamaica (eme news) - The University of the West Indies (UWI) Mona will recognize five Caribbean icons at its Graduation ceremonies November 4 and 5.

They are: Minna Israel, Earl Jarrett and The Hon. Usain Bolt who will all receive the Honorary Doctor of Laws ( LLD) while Professor Lenworth Jacobs and Dr. Erna Brodber will receive the Doctor of Sciences (DSc) and Doctor of Letters (DLitt) respectively.

On Friday November 4 at 5:30 pm The Honourable Usain Bolt and Dr. Erna Brodber, will be conferred with honorary degrees along with graduates from the Faculties of Humanities and Education and Pure and Applied Sciences. University informs.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bolt wants four golds
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 12:44:54 AM »
http://www1.skysports.com/news/12040/7305022/

Bolt wants four golds
Schedule would allow Jamaican plenty of rest between events

Last Updated: November 12, 2011 6:38pm

Usain Bolt is targeting an unprecedented four gold medals on the track at next summer's London Olympics, adding the 4x400m relay to his usual schedule of three sprint events.

The Olympic champion in the 100m, 200m, and 4x100m at the 2008 Beijing Games said on Saturday that if he is fit and if Jamaica can challenge for gold, he wants a place on the 400m team.

"If I can help to get them a gold medal, I will want to go on that team," Bolt said.

The last male athlete to win four gold medals at the Olympics was Carl Lewis at the 1984 Los Angeles Games, but one of those was in the long-jump.

Bolt said he has already started his Olympic preparations at "high intensity," fully fit after ending the season with a slight Achilles tendon tweak. Last year, back problems saw him miss part the season.

Running start

Even though Bolt's official personal best in the 400m is an unimpressive 45.28 seconds, his manager Ricky Simms said he had run a 43-split with a running start in a relay in a minor Jamaica meet two years ago. The individual world record stands at 43.18.

When asked if he wanted to run in the 4x400, Bolt said: "I've expressed that to my coach. If I am fit and I think I can do it.

"I definitely would want to try because if I do as well as in Berlin, the 4x4 would top it off and even make it a little bit much better.

"I will probably be in good shape and I know the guys are really stepping up the 400 level in Jamaica.".

The Olympic schedule looks conducive to an attempt on four golds, since Bolt would only have to run the finals in the relays. After the 100m on August 5, he would not have another final until the last three days of the track schedule from August 9-11.

Award

Bolt was named the IAAF's male athlete of the year on Saturday despite his disqualification from the 100 metres final at the World Championships.

The 25-year-old false-started at the marquee event in Daegu but bounced back to take gold in the 200m and 4x100m relay.

"This season was a really trying season for me, I really had to work hard and stand up my game," said Bolt, who was also named athlete of the year in 2008 and 2009.

"There were some close races this season, I really had to push myself. So this (award) really means a whole lot to me, because I really came out there hard this year, and all the hard work I put in paid off."

Sally Pearson of Australia was given the women's award after winning 10 of 11 races in the 100m hurdles, including taking gold in Daegu.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 04:20:02 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Usain Bolt wants 4x400m relay spot in bid for four golds at London Olympics
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 12:49:01 AM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/nov/12/usain-bolt-4x400m-olympics

Usain Bolt wants 4x400m relay spot in bid for four golds at London Olympics
• Jamaican champion Usain Bolt aims for four golds in London
• 'If I can help get them a gold, I will want to go on that team'

guardian.co.uk, Saturday 12 November 2011 11.52 GMT

Usain Bolt says he wants to go for four gold medals at next summer's London Olympics, adding the 4x400 metre relay to his usual schedule. The defending Olympic champion in the 100m, 200m, and 4x100m events said on Saturday, at a gala in Monaco where he was named international athlete of the year, that if he is fit and if Jamaica can challenge for gold he wants a place on the long relay team, even though he has never competed in the event at the top level.

"If I can help to get them a gold medal I will want to go on that team," he said. The last male athlete to win four gold medals at the Olympics was Carl Lewis at the 1984 Los Angeles Games.

Bolt and the Australian hurdler Sally Pearson were named athletes of the year at the International Association of Athletics Federations awards. Bolt, winning the accolade for the third time, bounced back from disqualification for false starting in the world 100m final to retain his 200m title, before anchoring Jamaica to win the 4x100m relay in a world record time. "I really had to push myself – there were some ups and downs throughout the season," he said. "For me this one means a lot, I'm really proud."

Pearson had a phenomenal season, winning 15 of 16 races and taking the world 100m hurdles title in 12.28sec, the fastest time in 19 years. The 25-year-old is the first Australian to win the award since it was introduced in 1988.

Bolt also had a clear message to his rival, friend and training partner Yohan Blake heading into Olympics year that he will not relinquish his 200m title in London. Blake emerged as a serious threat to his Jamaican compatriot's sprint dominance when he won the 100m title at the world championships in August, taking gold in a final in Daegu that produced the most drama before the gun when Bolt was disqualified for a false start.

The 21-year-old Blake followed that up less than three weeks later with the second fastest 200m of all time. "Initially I was shocked because he's not really a great corner runner … but he's a great athlete and with great athletes you can expect anything," Bolt said in Monte Carlo on Saturday. Bolt admitted that his younger compatriot worked "a little harder" than he did. "I've said this to Yohan, and to a lot of my friends,: the 200 is my favourite and I won't let Yohan beat me over 200 metres," Bolt said. "The 100 [metres] maybe, but I've worked hard to perfect that event [the 200] over the years so I've told him already I won't let it happen."

Their competitive rivalry, Bolt said, shone through in training, day in, day out. "From the first time he walked into our camp he's been competing with me. Sometimes he beats me – it doesn't matter, it's only training. He's a really competitive person … I have to explain to him that he's got to relax sometimes. "He's young and excited but fun to be around. We laugh every day, his personality is great and it's great to have him as a training partner."

Bolt atoned for his false start in Daegu by comfortably retaining his 200m title before anchoring the Jamaican 4x100m relay team to win gold in a world record time. The 25-year-old returned to training three weeks ago at a "high intensity" level. "Injury-wise I'm good," said Bolt, whose 2010 season was curtailed by injury that he said meant this year's campaign revolved around him "getting back into shape".

"No problems so far," he said. "Hopefully I can keep it that way. I'm doing my core exercises, my back exercises, hamstring exercises … everything just to make sure the injuries stay away this season."

With the London 2012 Olympic Games looming, Bolt said he was "fully focused". "This is a big season and you have to try and get ahead of the game because a lot of athletes have started their season early. "The Olympics is the biggest stage for an athlete, I know the value of a gold medal … when the Olympics come around, athletes show up on the day so I'm focused on everyone."
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 01:09:40 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
"I won’t let Yohan beat me over 200m - Bolt
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 02:10:34 PM »
http://www.trackalerts.com/news/lead-stories/6090-qi-wont-let-yohan-beat-me-over-200m-bolt

"I won’t let Yohan beat me over 200m - Bolt
Saturday, 12 November 2011 23:40 BY Vijay, fosteraa@ymail.com

MONACO - Despite Yohan Blake's stunning 19.26 seconds performance - the second fastest ever over that distance - world record holder for the event, Usain Bolt, said he will not allow his rival to beat him over that distance.

Asked of Bolt at Saturday's IAAF Press Conference: "Is Yohan Blake capable of breaking the 200m WR?

Avoiding speculation on the WR, Bolt replied:
“I’ve said this to Yohan already and have said to a lot of my friends, the 200 is my favourite event and I won’t let Yohan beat me over 200 metres. In the 100 maybe, he might have a chance, but the 200 is my favourite event.

"I’ve worked hard to perfect it over the years. I told him already that I won’t let it happen.”

Bolt ran 19.30, a then world record to win the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, but returned exactly one year later to run 19.19 to win the World Championships title.

Both train with Glen Mills at Racers Track Club in Kingston.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 10:22:06 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Johnson doubts Bolt's chances of 4 golds in London
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 03:53:14 PM »
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/Johnson-doubts-Bolt-s-chances-of-4-golds-in-London#ixzz1dqTNHYs7

Johnson doubts Bolt's chances of 4 golds in London
Bolt making unwise decision to attempt 4x400 metres relay at London Olympics says MJ

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

LONDON, England (AP) — Former Olympic 400-meter champion Michael Johnson doubts that Usain Bolt will be able to win four gold medals at the London Games.

Bolt, who won the Athlete of the Year award on Saturday, said he would like to add the 4x400-meter relay to his repertoire for next year's Olympics. The Jamaican won the 100, 200 and 4x100 relay golds at the 2008 Beijing Games.

"You can't train for the 400 as well. It would be an absolute distraction and the training wouldn't work," Johnson told BBC radio today. "I think he could be the world-record holder at 400 meters but he's said that he has no interest in training for it, which I can understand — it's a difficult race to train for."

Bolt has long been rumored to add the 400 to his schedule, but has said he has no interest in the longer race and prefers to stay with the short sprints. He has also said he could one day compete in the long jump.

The last track star to win four gold medals at the same Olympics was Carl Lewis, the American great who won the 100, 200, 4x100 relay and long jump at the 1984 Los Angeles Games.

At this year's world championships in Daegu, South Korea, Bolt won the 200 and helped Jamaica win the 4x100, but he was disqualified because of a false start in the 100 final. Jamaican teammate Yohan Blake won in his absence.

"I see no reason why he shouldn't be able to repeat as an Olympic gold medallist in the 100, 200 and the 4x100, but the 4x400 is going to be tough," said Johnson, who won the 200 and 400 golds at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics and the 400 in Sydney four years later.

"Without him the Jamaican team certainly doesn't have enough 400 runners to beat the United States. They could beat the US possibly with him on the team if he was training for the 400, but he can't just step onto the track and run a 44 or a 43-second split just off 100 and 200 training."

In order to have a chance of making the team, Johnson said Bolt will need to run some competitive 400s before the Olympics, which open on July 27.

"I don't see the Jamaican coaching staff putting him on the 4x400 relay unproven," Johnson said. "That means he's got to go out there and run some 400s during the season, in order to prove that he should be on that relay."
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 03:59:00 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Johnson doubts Bolt's chances of 4 golds in London
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2011, 03:56:09 PM »
Maybe Johnson hasn't seen this race where Bolt ran a mid 43 split on the last leg of the 4x400m relay for his club Racers in Jamaica last year!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TK2lPYfkG-8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/TK2lPYfkG-8</a>
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 04:52:59 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bolt ready to prove 2012 naysayers wrong
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 09:35:49 PM »
http://zeenews.india.com/sports/others/bolt-ready-to-prove-2012-naysayers-wrong_733680.html

Bolt ready to prove 2012 naysayers wrong
Last Updated: Sunday, December 11, 2011, 10:12

Salvo (North Carolina): Triple Olympic champion Usain Bolt was quick to remind those who think young Jamaican training partner Yohan Blake will be the favourite for next year`s London Games 100 metres that he was still the man to beat.

"A lot of people have said guys are going to beat me but I am still number one. I am still the Olympic champion," the world`s fastest man told Reuters in a telephone interview from Kingston on Saturday.

"It doesn`t really matter what people say. I go out there and prove them wrong everyday," Bolt said from the set of a new Gatorade campaign that is launching early next year.

"That`s just one more challenge, and I enjoy challenges."

Former 100 metres record holder Maurice Greene stirred the pot last week by backing Blake to win the London Games` most anticipated race.

"If everybody competes like they did this year, I`d say Yohan Blake is going to win," the American told BBC Radio.

Greene made the same prediction ahead of August`s world championships in Daegu, where Blake won the 100 metres after Bolt was disqualified for a false start.

Things will be different in 2012, said Bolt.

"I am coming back from injury and working my way back up," said the world 200 metres champion who went undefeated in 2011 but never mustered the times he delivered in previous years.

Blake, meanwhile, raised eyebrows with his world title and a late-season 200 metres run of 19.26 seconds that was seven hundredths of a second outside Bolt`s world record.

The 21-year-old`s emergence has helped both sprinters, Bolt said.

"We train together and push each other to get better," said Bolt, who is four years older than Blake.

"Yohan is a very competitive person and he competes in training all the time," Bolt said. "But I am not really that much of a competing person in training."

"Some times we go at it (in training), but it is all fun and games."

The seriousness will come when they race, and if Bolt has his way, his 100 and 200 metres records of 9.58 and 19.19 seconds will tumble next year, hopefully at the Olympics.

"It would be very important, even wonderful if I could get my records at the Games," Bolt said.

"I really want to do that because that allows me to wow the crowd....but you never know what the weather is going to be."

Only if he breaks the records and defends his titles will he consider himself the best.

"A lot of people have done great things. For me to go back to the Olympics and get records and win again, that would make me in my books a legend," Bolt said.

"A lot of people already say I am, but I set high standards."

He may even go for gold in the 4x400 metres relay, something first mentioned several months ago.

"I have looked at the schedule now and the 4x4 comes (a day) before the 4x1 so I don`t think I would really want to chance it," Bolt said.

But he quickly added, "if I am fit enough, and Jamaica has a good team, I probably will try."

An individual 400 is unlikely until after the London Games, if then, except in training runs, Bolt said.

But long jumping may find a way onto his programme before he retires in 2016 or 2017.

"I definitely want to try it. I think I would be good."

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bolt for 400m opener in February
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 07:13:05 PM »
http://www.trackalerts.com/news/lead-stories/6316-bolt-for-400m-opener-in-february-

Bolt for 400m opener in February
Tuesday, 03 January 2012 17:09 By Alfonz Juck

KINGSTON, Jamaica (eme news) - Reuters reports that star sprinter Usain Bolt being healthy and on a new nutrition programme, plans to launch his run-up to defending his 100 and 200 meters titles at the 2012 London Olympic Games with tune-up races in Jamaica in February.

"I always run quarters (400m) before the season and I will be starting in February," Bolt said in a telephone interview from Kingston arranged by sponsor Gatorade.

"I think I will run at least two this season."
The options could be at Camperdown Classic on February 11 and Gibson Relays on February 25 and as in past seasons it could be individual or within a relay. When he will run his first sprint test of 2012 or meet up with training partner and 100 meters world champion Yohan Blake has not been determined, according to Bolt.

He said his first real outing could be at Jamaica Invitational on May 5 in Kingston.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Johnson: Bolt can break 400-metre record
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 09:01:55 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Johnson__Bolt_can_break_400-metre_record-136514913.html

Johnson: Bolt can break 400-metre record
Story Created: Jan 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM ECT

KINGSTON

Former American star Michael Johnson reckons Jamaican Olympic sprint champion Usain Bolt can break his 400-metre world record.

Bolt, the 100m and 200m world-record holder, has indicated that he would like to add the 4x400m to his 100m, 200m and 4x100m schedule at the 2012 Olympics in London.

But his coach Glen Mills reacted by saying that Bolt would have to run the 400m and finish in one of the top spots at Jamaica's Olympic trials in June in order to qualify outright for the mile-relay team.

There are no plans in place for Bolt to run the 400m at the trials and the decision to include him would rest with the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA).

"He was a 400m runner before he was a 100m and 200m runner," Johnson told ESPN. "He has always been great as a 200m runner, but he was a good 400m runner when he was very young.

"He has the build to be a great 400m runner and he certainly has the speed. Without a doubt, I think if he chose to make the switch at some point in his career and decided he was going to train for the 400m, I am certain he would break the world record and probably run under 43 seconds and become the first person to run 42 seconds," Johnson added.

"I've heard all types of rumours, whether he is going to run 400m or 4x400m relay. I think obviously he's the best sprinter in the world, he's the best there has ever been. He is an incredible athlete and I think he will be focused and ready to go next year to defend his titles at 100m and 200m, which he has said he wants to do and (Jamaica) have the best 4x100m relay team in the world at this point.

"Beyond that, anything else is just speculation and I think we will just have to wait to see if he decides to do anything else. But I think he is in a great position to repeat (2008) and I wouldn't put my money on anyone else but him for 100m and 200m," said Johnson, who is the holder of the 400-metre record in 43.18 seconds. —CMC
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 10:44:20 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
A sprinter par excellence
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 07:46:58 PM »
http://www.sportstaronnet.com/stories/20120112501200400.htm

A sprinter par excellence
With an awesome reputation following his superhuman performances at the Beijing Olympics and the Berlin Worlds, Usain Bolt is a cinch to win the sprint double at the 2012 Games in London. In fact, no one would be willing to stick his neck out against the Jamaican coming up with yet another world record.
By K. P. Mohan

Usain Bolt captivated millions of fans around the globe with his awesome performances at the Beijing Olympics and the Berlin World Championships in 2008 and 2009. Despite a shock disqualification and elimination from the 100m final at the Daegu World Championships last August, the Jamaican remains the firm favourite to take the sprint double at the 2012 Olympic Games.

The only question is will he set another individual world record in London?

Expectations, following his superhuman performance at the Beijing Games, did not weigh him down in Berlin a year later when he produced unbelievable world records as though for the asking.

Bolt was far ahead of our times in Beijing and Berlin in both the sprints. Can he slice precious fractions from those intimidating timings of 9.58s and 19.19s in the two sprints next year even if we take it for granted that he can win both races in the Olympics?

Having built up such an awesome reputation since Beijing, no one would be willing to put his neck out against the Jamaican coming up with yet another world record.

It had looked all too simple in Beijing. He had gone into the last Olympics as a world record holder in the 100 metres, but then the whole world would sit up and take note only after his phenomenal exploits at the Bird's Nest.

Bolt had lowered countryman Asafa Powell's world record to 9.72s while winning the Reebok Grand Prix in New York on May 31, 2008. It was only the fifth competitive 100m sprint of his career! In less than three months he would win the Olympic gold, shaving 0.03s off his world record.

His thigh-slapping antics, experts agreed, had cost Bolt precious fractions in Beijing.

Ato Boldon, former world champion in the 200 metres, said he would put it at around 9.59s if Bolt had not wasted time celebrating as he neared the finish line.

That is what Bolt did a year later, in Berlin. He ran a 9.58s to stun the world all over again.

What is Bolt capable of? That question has lingered from Beijing to this day.

“I said I could run 9.4sec. I think it will stop at 9.4 but you never know,” the Jamaican had said after his 9.58 in Berlin.

“Running 9.5sec is definitely a big thing. I'm proud of myself because I'm the first man to have done that.

“I honestly don't know how fast I can go.”

Recently, the Sydney Daily Telegraph quoted Bolt as saying, however: “But it (9.4s) is not an obsession. I already have the world record.”

Mathematicians and scientists have never agreed on the ultimate men's 100m world record. A study in 1998 put it at 9.37s; one in 2009 placed it at 9.51s without having taken Bolt's Beijing and Berlin times into consideration.

Bolt's coach Glen Mills said after the Beijing 100 that his trainee could have run a 9.52 had he not relaxed towards the end. Experts were reluctant to agree with the coach's estimated timing then, but were unsure of their own projections after Bolt lowered the record further in Berlin.

“This is his first year of running the 100 metres,” Mills had said in Beijing. “In two more years he should be peaking at this distance and by then I am certain he will be down to there.”

Being a tall man (6ft 5in) he never was a great starter. In fact in Beijing, with a reaction time of 0.165m/s he was only the seventh fastest in the final; in Berlin, at 0.146m/s, he was the sixth fastest.

However, for his 19.19s in the 200 metres in Berlin, Bolt was the best in the field. When you look at that 200 record that is more awesome than anything else in the record books.

Whether he was best off the blocks or not, everyone agreed Bolt was beyond reach in the 100 metres once past the half-way mark. His stride length was unmatched and his speed towards the closing stages difficult to match.

That is until now. Some of the former champions have started doubting Bolt's infallibility even as some others stick to the argument that he is all but unbeatable.

“If everybody competes like they did this year, I'd say Yohan Blake is going to win,” former Olympic and world champion Maurice Greene told BBC Radio recently.

“If you think about the close races he's had, he's lost (them),” Greene said.

But then Bolt has not lost many after his amazing Beijing sprint. If you exclude the Daegu disaster due to a false start, he has only been beaten once, after 14 finals in about two years, beginning from August 16, 2008, in Beijing through to Saint-Denis, France, on July 16, 2010. The solitary loss came in Stockholm on August 6, 2010, to American Tyson Gay, who with his 9.69s in Berlin 2009 is the second fastest man ever. Gay admitted Bolt was physically not at his best at that time.

Bolt has a 5-1 record against Blake, the only loss to be counted being the one in Daegu through disqualification. Blake won there in 9.92s and later clocked an incredible 19.26s for the 200 in Brussels, the second fastest ever behind Bolt's world record. But the two did not meet in 2011 prior to the Worlds. Some critics even suggested that Bolt, not so sharp as before and no so fit during the season, might have betrayed his nerves as he came off the blocks ahead of the gun in Daegu.

There was also a suggestion that a twitch that Blake showed in television replays might have triggered Bolt's false start.

In the 200, Bolt has a more enviable record. He has been unbeaten since the Golden Spike in Ostrava on June 12, 2008. He also has six of the top 10 timings over the distance in the all-time list.

Michael Johnson believes Bolt is still the favourite for the London double. “But I think he is in a great position to repeat (2008) and I wouldn't put my money on any one else but him for 100 and 200,” the American legend was quoted as saying.

Despite being the first man to hold the World and Olympic gold medals and the world records in both sprints, Bolt does not count himself among the legends. Not yet.

“I think I'm one of the greats, definitely,” Bolt told BBC Sport last July. “But (to be) a legend in the sport I think I need to defend my (Olympic) titles. That's my personal goal.”

The 25-year-old Jamaican added: “People have crowned me a legend already. I haven't really placed myself that high yet.”

He has plans to try out something different. Perhaps the 4x400m relay as he goes for a possible four-gold haul.

“I definitely would want to try because if I do as well as in Berlin, the 4x400 would top it off and even make it a little bit much better,” Bolt recently told the media in Monaco.

The last athlete to win four gold medals in an Olympics was Carl Lewis in 1984. Lewis also has back-to-back 100m titles in Olympics, thanks to Ben Johnson's disqualification in 1988.

Michael Johnson said the other day that Bolt had it in him to break his world record for the lap, of 43.18s set in Seville, Spain, in 1999. Bolt, in his opinion, could even go under 43. The Jamaican has a best of 45.28, clocked in 2007 but he does not relish running the lap.

Even though the new IAAF regulations would allow seeded stars to avoid the opening round in the sprints, it is doubtful whether Bolt would contemplate the individual 400 in the Olympics.

The longer relay might be a different proposition. Of course, with the world champion, US, quite capable of holding off a challenge as it did in Daegu, there could be no certainty that Jamaica might sneak in. With Usain St. Leo Bolt around, you never know for sure, of course.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Usain Bolt prepares for new year of racing
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 09:16:25 PM »
http://www.universalsports.com/news-blogs/article/newsid=573397.html

Published: Jan 3, 1:32p ET Updated: Jan 3, 2:07p ET
Usain Bolt prepares for new year of racing
Three-time Olympic champion eyes February opener, downplays rivalry with Blake

By Reuters

SALVO (Reuters) - The world will not need to wait long to get a glimpse at triple Olympic champion Usain Bolt's fitness for his highly anticipated 2012 season.

Healthy and on a new nutrition program, Bolt plans to launch his run-up to defending his 100 and 200 meters titles at the 2012 London Games with tune-up races in Jamaica next month, the world's fastest man told Reuters.

"I always run quarters (400s)before the season and I will be starting in February," Bolt said in a telephone interview from Kingston arranged by sponsor Gatorade. "I think I will run at least two this season."

Some relay races will also likely be on the early program as Bolt returns to a more traditional warm up for high-powered sprint races later in the season.

An injury slowed the launch of Bolt's 2011 season until May, but previously he had always made test runs in late January or February to break up training.

"Last year was hard," Bolt said. "I started the season off a little bit injured. I had to change a lot of things."

But aside from a false start that cost him a chance to defend his 100 meters world title, the world record holder said he was pleased with the way his year ended.

"A lot of people may talk, but they don't know what I went through," said the International Association of Athletics Federations male athlete of the year.

"I came back at the world championships and I won a medal, I ran a fast time and I was unbeaten," said the lanky Jamaican who successfully defended his world 200 meters crown and anchored Jamaica to a world record in the 4x100 meters relay.

"So for me, last season was probably one of my best seasons that I have ever had taking into consideration the work that I could put in (and what) I had to go through."

When he will run his first sprint test of 2011 or meet up with training partner and 100 meters world champion Yohan Blake has not been determined, Bolt said.

"Definitely I will open in Jamaica," he said. "Otherwise I am not sure what I will be doing next season."

Any race against Blake, the hot new sprinter who not only claimed the 100 meters world title but ran the second fastest 200 meters of all-time last season, would be a spectator's delight.

But Bolt, at least publicly, tried not to attach special significance to any potential meeting.

"For me, it is all the same thing with everybody," said Bolt, who at age 25 is three years older than Blake. "It is not going to change anything for me.

"For me, it is a job. So if I have got to go out there and race against Yohan, it is OK," said Bolt, who has never lost to Blake.

A major fan of English Premier League powerhouse Manchester United, Bolt will be on view for American football fans on Monday when he helps launch a marketing campaign for sponsor Gatorade called "Win From Within."

The commercial, which aired during Monday's Rose Bowl and Fiesta Bowl games, also featured basketball's Dwayne Wade, tennis' Serena Williams, swimmer Ryan Lochte and soccer player Abby Wambach.

Bolt spent more than five hours on set for his role in the commercial and made a quick discovery.

"(Running a) 100 is much easier," he said. "Much, much easier."

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Usain Bolt Documentary Trailer
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 05:26:36 PM »
Usain Bolt Documentary Trailer

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/j6rSnZ_bJ8s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/j6rSnZ_bJ8s</a>

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bolt tells CNN: Gatlin spat across my lane
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 05:14:41 PM »
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20120605/sports/sports1.html

Bolt tells CNN: Gatlin spat across my lane
Published: Tuesday | June 5, 2012

USAIN BOLT, in a CNN interview with former Olympic and World champion Linford Christie of Great Britain, revealed on Sunday how American sprinter Justin Gatlin once spat across his lane in an effort to intimidate him.

Bolt, prior to his breakout season in 2008, was somewhat of a low-key 200-metre specialist that took a serious approach to his racing.

He, however, revealed how an incident with Gatlin in Zagreb changed that approach.

"For me, it never happened until Justin Gatlin," Bolt told CNN Olympic contributor Christie. "I ran once with him in Zagreb. He did something which was really funny to me.

"We were walking back and forward and he actually spat across my lane. And when he did it, I knew he was trying to intimidate me, and I found it really funny.

"I'll say I was worried back in the day ... . Now 'I know I'm better than you' so it's not going to bother me," Bolt added.

"Today it doesn't really bother me. I just go there, enjoy myself and relax. It's just one of those things where over the years the game has changed."

Bolt, the fastest 100m runner in the world this season with a time of 9.76 secs, holds both the 100m and 200m world records at 9.58 and 19.19, respectively.

You can click this link to view video interview on CNN website:
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/06/01/sport/olympics-bolt-100m-london/index.html?iid=article_sidebar
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 06:40:37 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bolt made to work for win in Oslo
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 11:22:27 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/THRILLING_FINISH-157999145.html

THRILLING FINISH
Bolt made to work for win in Oslo

Story Created: Jun 7, 2012 at 11:37 PM ECT

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eJhoGKol6Tw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/eJhoGKol6Tw</a>

Jamaica's world record holder Usain Bolt blamed a new type of starting blocks after being made to work for victory in the 100 metres at the Diamond League meeting in Oslo yesterday.

Bolt found himself in the unusual position of second, behind compatriot Asafa Powell with ten metres to go, before edging ahead to win in a meeting record of 9.79 seconds.

"The blocks have changed from last season," the Olympic champion told a news conference.

"For me, when I came on the blocks, the reaction was good but the execution–because I was less comfortable–execution from the blocks was not that good.

"I'm not very happy with my new blocks. I think I need to go back to the old blocks.

"When I get everything all right, I can really relax and be myself. Now there are a few things I need to work on, so in trying to get those things first and then I can get back to be myself," Bolt added.

After crossing the line, Bolt collided with a flower girl on the track, catching her as she stumbled and then hugging her with a big grin on his face.

Powell's time of 9.85 was his best of the season and Lerone Clarke completed a Jamaican sweep of the top three with a time of 10.10.

Powell, who had been well beaten by Bolt in Rome a week ago appeared much happier with his performance this time out.

"It was a season best, which is what I need right now, to keep improving," the former world record holder told reporters.

"This is not the Olympics and I wasn't really training for this event. This means that it (the Olympics) is going to be awesome."

Australia's 100 metres hurdler Sally Pearson, who like Bolt is red-hot favourite to win her event at the London Olympics, appeared none the worse for wear after her 29-hour trip to Norway with a comfortable victory in 12.49, equalling her world leading time.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OI2vPPvbdH0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/OI2vPPvbdH0</a>

The world champion led from start to finish and finished clear of American Kristi Castlin, who was second in 12.56.

Britain's former heptathlon world champion Jessica Ennis was disqualified from the event for a false start.

"My start was really good I thought. I started to fatigue a little towards the end which I think is quite understandable," Pearson told reporters.

"I travelled 29 hours to get here so I'm a bit jet-lagged but I'm doing well.

"I think I put myself in the position I want to be in, I like being chased so it keeps me on my toes and it keeps me hungry to stay being the best in the world," she told the BBC.

Double Olympic champion Kenenisa Bekele's issues with form continued when he could only manage fifth over the 5,000 metres on a sunny evening.

Bekele, hoping for an unprecedented third successive 10,000 gold in London, has struggled with calf and knee injuries in recent years.

The Ethiopian world record holder clocked 13 minutes 0.54 seconds. His brother Tariku had led the race into the final lap but compatriot Dejen Gebremeskel made his move with 200 to go and won in 12.58.92 as Ethiopians took the top five places.

Olympic 1,500 metres champion Asbel Kiprop of Kenya strode away from the rest of the field in the final straight to win the Dream mile in 3:49.22 and compatriot Milcah Chemos recorded the fourth-fastest time ever of 9:07.14 when winning the women's 3,000 steeplechase

There was disappointment for home favourite Andreas Thorkildsen who was third in the Javelin with a best throw of 82.30 metres.

The event was won by Vitezslav Vesely of the Czech Republic. However, Olympic champion Thorkildsen fared better than German rival, Matthias De Zordo–the man who took his world title--who was fifth with 81.44.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:42:22 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bolt unhurt after minor car accident
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 12:41:20 AM »
http://universalsports.com/2012/06/10/bolt-unhurt-after-minor-car-accident

06/10/2012 at 11:13am ET
Bolt unhurt after minor car accident
By Kayon Raynor

KINGSTON, June 10 (Reuters) – Jamaica’s 100 meters world record holder and Olympic champion Usain Bolt was involved in a car accident near his home on Sunday but escaped without injury, his publicist said.

Reports said the 25-year-old triple Olympic gold medalist, who will be the focus of world attention when the London Games start next month, had been returning home from a party in the early hours.

“Usain was in a minor accident in the Half Way Tree Area on Sunday morning after 5.00 and sustained no injuries,” Carole Beckford told Reuters.

She said the lanky athlete, who was driving a BMW, was resting at home.

Jamaica’s Gleaner newspaper reported that compatriot and sprint rival Asafa Powell was also present, but in another car.

Bolt, also the 200m world record holder, and Powell both ran in the Diamond League meeting in Oslo on Thursday and are now preparing for the national trials at the end of June.

Bolt won the Oslo race in 9.79 seconds, colliding with a flower girl after he crossed the line, with Powell second with his best time of the season in 9.85.

Three years ago, Bolt suffered minor injuries when he crashed his sports car – also a BMW – on the outskirts of the Jamaican capital Kingston.

In that accident, his car flipped a few times before landing upside down in a ditch. Bolt injured his left foot as he stepped out of the car and was treated at a nearby hospital.

He then went on to win three gold medals at the Berlin world championships.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20120617/sports/sports1.html

'Living legend' - Bolt outlines wording for victory speech at London Olympics
Published: Sunday | June 17, 2012
André Lowe, Senior Staff Reporter

There may still be a few weeks left to go before the big show, but triple Olympic champion and world-record holder Usain Bolt has already thought about his Olympic Games victory speech.

Bolt, who set world records en route to winning gold medals in the 100m, 200m and as a part of Jamaica's 4x100m relay team at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, in a report carried by British publication Daily Mail, said: "At the end of London 2012, I want to go into the press conference and say before anyone asks me a question - 'You are now looking at a living legend'. That's what I want to say before that last press conference after my 200m final."

The Jamaican, who repeated his Beijing exploits at the 2009 IAAF World Championships in Athletics in Berlin before winning gold in the 200m and 4x100m after false starting in the 100m at the most recent World Champion-ships in Daegu, South Korea last year, is currently getting ready for the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA)/Supreme Ventures Limited (SVL) National Senior Championships, which gets under way in two weeks inside the National Stadium.

One of the athletes expected to keep Bolt on his toes at the senior championships is 100m World Champion Yohan Blake, who is expected to line up in both the 100m and 200m. Only Bolt's 19.19 200m world record is faster than Blake's 19.26 personal best, which was done on the circuit at the back end of last season.

'Just another athlete'

While accepting that Blake is motivated to pull an upset, particularly at the Olympics, as far as Bolt is concerned, Blake, who he actually trains alongside at the Racers Track Club, is 'just another athlete'.

"Yohan really wants to beat me at the Olympics so he's working hard and really pushing himself," said Bolt. "But for me he is just another athlete. I'm not worried, I know what I'm capable of. I know what I can do so all I have to do is go out there and do it."

Bolt has been in scintillating form this season as he is responsible for the three fastest times recorded so far this year with a season's best of 9.76, which was done in Rome a few weeks ago.

This performance came just a few days after a lukewarm performance in Oslo, where Bolt clocked 10.04, raising concerns in some quarters about his form going into the senior championships. Among the most concerned was his father Leslie, who Bolt shared, was one of the first persons he spoke to after the race.

"I don't really talk to my parents before a race. My mom has more confidence in me, but my dad stresses a lot, especially when he hears something about me.

"When I ran 10.03 I called him (father) and he said 'What's wrong with you?'"

Bolt will, however, enter the June 28-July 1 JAAA/SVL National Senior Championships as the overwhelming favourite to win the 100m and 200m double and move on to continue his dominance at the Olympic Games in London in just over a month's time.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 02:35:14 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bolt ranked 63 on Forbes top 100 richest sports personalities
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2012, 09:02:25 PM »
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Bolt-ranked-63-on-Forbes-top-100-richest-sports-personalities

Bolt ranked 63 on Forbes top 100 richest sports personalities
Tuesday, June 19, 2012

JAMAICAN triple world record holder Usain Bolt has been listed at number 63 on the Forbes top 100 highest paid sports personalities list. Bolt earned US$20.3 million over the last 12 months, with most of his money coming from endorsements and contracts. His highest sponsor is sporting goods company Puma, which pays the athlete US$9 million annually.

Bolt reportedly earned US$300,000 for his on the track exploits over the last 12 months.

Heading the list of highest paid athletes is boxer Floyd Mayweather, who earned US$85 million. Mayweather unseated golfer Tiger Woods from the top spot he held over the last seven years.

Woods is third on the list, with earnings of US$59.4 million.

Also included on the list are Indian cricketers Mahendra Singh Doni (31) and Sachin Tendulkar (78).

truetrini

Usain Bolt withdraws from pre-Olympic meet, vows he’ll run in London
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2012, 09:33:49 AM »

By Chris Chase | Fourth-Place Medal – 2 hours 47 minutes ago..

Email

(AP)Usain Bolt will skip an Olympic tuneup event in Monaco due to a "slight problem," but vows to defend his titles in the 100 and 200 at the London Games against a field that includes the man who beat him twice this month in Jamaica, Yohan Blake.

His coach, Glen Mills, said that he withdrew Bolt after a "careful assessment" found a "slight problem" that he wouldn't elaborate on. He said this will give the runner "sufficient time for treatment at time to train and prepare for the Olympic Games in London."

As he said this, television and marketing executives worldwide reached for their bottle of Pepto. An Olympics without Bolt would leave a gaping hole in the second-week program in London. While the stories of Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte and Missy Franklin will dominate the first week, Bolt and Blake are expected to carry the second week of mass coverage. Losing those two finals and the most compelling part of the 4 x 100 -- when they team up for Jamaica -- would be devastating.

[ Related: Yohan Blake gets the best of Usain Bolt again ]

Bolt insists that he'll be there. "I am happy to have earned my spot on the Jamaican Olympic team despite the challenge," he said in a statement. "I will be in London to defend my titles in the 100, 200 and 4 X 100 meters."

Running in a competition the week before the Olympics was a questionable training choice in the first place. Runners don't taper for events like swimmers do and Bolt has a week from the Opening Ceremony to prepare for the 100. Why race beforehand and run the risk of injury?

[ Photos: Photos: Biggest upsets at the Olympic Trials ]

Practicality aside, saving his runs for London is better drama too. When you're an athlete like Bolt -- one whose dominated the sport for nearly a half-decade -- you need to draw on different motivation. Bolt has won three golds before. He's looking to do it again. What will drive him? Becoming the first man to truly win back-to-back 100s at an Olympics is solid. Defeating a young upstart and reclaiming the throne is even better. Superman always flies in at the last minute, right?

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
UPDATE FROM GLEN MILLS AND USAIN BOLT
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 12:11:24 PM »
http://www.whosay.com/usainbolt/content/339726?wsref=tw&code=vyh3GG5

UPDATE FROM GLEN MILLS AND USAIN BOLT
THURSDAY, JULY 5, 2012

From Coach Glen Mills:
“Arising from Usain's participation at the National Trials in Kingston this past weekend where he had a slight problem, after careful assessment I have had to withdraw him from the Samsung Diamond League Meeting in Monaco on July 20 to give him sufficient time for treatment and time to train and prepare for the Olympic Games in London."
From Usain:
"I am happy to have earned my spot on the Jamaican Olympic team despite the challenge. I will be in London to defend my titles in the 100, 200 and 4 X 100 metres. I want to congratulate my fellow Racers Track Club Members along with the other athletes who made the team. I thank everyone for their support."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

From Blake (via the wicked imagination of Socapro):
"Thank you Usain, I will continue to train hard and look up to you because you inspire me! Sorry that you strained yourself trying to beat me at our JA Trials, but I did as you told me which is to relax and not panic once I got ahead. I will continue to train harder than you and to take your great advice and that of coach Glen Mills as we get ready for London." I do apologise about your injury but that is why they call me the Beast!"  ;)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 12:48:44 PM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>