April 25, 2024, 06:18:13 AM

Author Topic: The Lightning Bolt Road Show!!  (Read 31087 times)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Renraw's Jamaican liming partner comes out in defense of Bolt!
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2012, 12:56:44 PM »
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Stop-this-nonsense-Burrell-lashes-Bolt-critics--urges-support-instead_11887744#ixzz1zh34mkr5

'Stop this nonsense!' Burrell lashes Bolt critics
— urges support instead

BY LIVINGSTON SCOTT Observer staff reporter
Thursday, July 05, 2012

Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) boss, Captain Horace Burrell, came out in defence of Jamaica track and field superstar Usain Bolt over what he called "unfair criticism" after the 25-year-old was beaten in both sprint races by Yohan Blake at the National Senior Trials over the weekend.

Speaking at the launch of the Sherwin Williams Women's Football League at the JFF offices on Tuesday, Burrell said the world 100 and 200 metres record holder has been the target of bitter comments since his recent losses, but said he was leading a charge to support the track and field icon at this difficult time.

"I have been listening to a number of comments and I think those comments are so unfair," he told the gathering.

"Usain Bolt has done so much good for us as a people and the fact that there was a slight disappointment in so far as the expectations were concerned... now I am listening to people turning against Usain and they should stop this nonsense," insisted Burrell, who wears a track and field hat as a vice-president of the Jamaica Olympic Association (JOA).

"Usain's going through a little patch right now, but why not instead encourage Usain and I am asking for encouragement," he added.

"So please, instead of tearing down Usain, let us build him up, because this is a time when he needs support from the entire nation and I am leading that charge and asking for full support for Usain," he said.

The football boss said all the athletes should be commended for the amount of work they have to put in and made special mention of Blake, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce and Veronica Campbell-Brown.

The rapid rise of Bolt's Racers Track Club training partner, Blake, has some people worried that the Olympic double sprint champion might have seen his better days.

With Blake winning the World Championship 100m gold in Daegu last year after Bolt was disqualified for false-starting, plus the twin victories over the world's fastest man at 'Trials', a cloud of doubt has gathered over the present physical conditioning of track and field's pin-up boy.

But Bolt's management team and some athletics experts believe that the sprint champion should be at his best for the London showdowns.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 12:59:19 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline STMB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Guess I was wrong.
Jamaica has piranhas...I mean fair-weather fans as well.

truetrini

Guess I was wrong.
Jamaica has piranhas...I mean fair-weather fans as well.

Bullshit talk from a bullshitter as usual.

Because people talk about what they see, hear and bserve does not mean that they are fairweather.

Is only brainless cretins blindly support anything or anyone.

Get that through yuh thick cabeza

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bolt can't forget roots on the fast track to fame
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2012, 12:22:00 AM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/olympics/track/wires/07/06/2090.ap.oly.ath.searching.for.usain/index.html

Bolt can't forget roots on the fast track to fame
Friday July 6, 2012
AP National Writer

KINGSTON, Jamaica (AP) - Finding out where Usain Bolt might be on any given day on his home island of Jamaica in advance of his trip to the London Olympics - that's not so difficult.

Finding out who Bolt really is - that's a trickier task.

Of course, he's the defending Olympic champion and world-record holder in the 100, 200 and 400-meter relay.

Almost everything else is open for interpretation.

Self-effacing everyman or pretentious star? Ultra-driven freak of nature or fundamentally laid-back fellow? Meticulous or reckless? Man of the people or a prima donna better appreciated from afar?

These are the type of questions coursing through the small Caribbean island since The Honourable Usain St. Leo Bolt pronounced his noble goal: Winning three gold medals again and returning home from London as nothing less than a "living legend.''

The search for answers might begin at the University of the West Indies, in a neighborhood on the northwest part of Kingston called Mona Heights.

"He comes here almost every day, and usually, you don't even know he's here,'' says Denzel Gordon, who mans the entrance to the swimming pool across the street from the track where Bolt trains.

Gordon points to a bunch of coconuts sitting on a table behind him: "He comes over when he's done running. Cracks it open himself. Drinks the water right out of the shell. Just like anyone else. You wouldn't even know it's Bolt.''

Across the street from the pool, it's not uncommon to catch a glimpse of Bolt warming up or running sprints on the blue polyurethane track, one of the nicer ovals in a country that loves its sports but has precious little money to finance them. There's a 30-foot-high fence with a padlocked gate that keeps uninvited guests from getting too close.

If word filters out that Bolt is there, a few dozen people, mostly students, might wander over to see what the World's Fastest Man is up to. If one of those people offers the security guard behind the fence a cigarette or two, the guard might point out a spot a little further down the fence line where there's a particularly good view.

"He has the hope of a nation in his hands,'' one of the onlookers, Alan Martin, said recently, before the nation's Olympic trials began. "I was hoping I'd get a chance to talk to him. He represents us very well. We all just want him to be very careful.''

Martin was so unnerved after Bolt's latest car accident, he sent him a letter.

"Just want him to know that he's a voice around the world,'' Martin said. "He's not just doing this for himself. Something like that happens, and it's very concerning.''

While track enthusiasts around the world talk about whether Bolt can run the 100 in 9.4 seconds or finish the 200 in less than 19 (the current records are 9.58 and 19.19), it's the car accident during the wee hours of June 10 that starts many of the conversations on the island these days.

His handlers called it a minor fender-bender, and there's no indication it was anything more. But given Bolt's history - three previous accidents, including one in 2009 that left him scrambling out of his totaled car in the bottom of a ditch - nobody's quite sure what to make of it except: What was he doing out at 5 in the morning?

"Many people believe he's trying to follow Asafa (Powell), who is more adept at cars,'' says track fan Junior Anthony Clarke, referring to another of Jamaica's famous sprinters. "He wants to prove that he's not only fast on the track, he's fast on the road. But Jamaicans would feel hurt if he does something to hurt himself. Because we feel like he and us are one.''

It was Powell's 100-meter world record of 9.74 seconds that Bolt broke for the first time in May 2008 and has since lowered twice more. Bolt has eclipsed Powell on the track, but Powell is viewed by many in Jamaica as the down-to-earth guy who's more like them. Or, as some like to say, the world loves Bolt; Jamaica loves Asafa.

"People say Bob Marley is the most famous person to come out of Jamaica, but then they'll say Usain's name in the same breath,'' says Bolt's agent, Ricky Simms. "He's a great ambassador for the country. But people are always quick to criticize, too. And this country, they like the underdog, so some of that can work against Bolt. You can't keep all the people happy all the time.''

Bolt, however, claims to try.

In his autobiography, he goes on at length about the responsibility of signing every autograph, of trying to fit in, at least as much as a 6-foot-5 superstar can in a society that adores him yet wants a piece of him at almost every turn.

To help quell this craving, Bolt might, on occasion, be spotted spinning records at his own place - a restaurant-sports bar-night club called Tracks and Records, where the DJ booth sits in a darkened corner in the balcony, overlooking a 200-seat main floor with TVs, a huge bar, a few "VIP'' areas and even a shop to buy Usain Bolt merchandise.

One waiter said Bolt shows up from time to time, but it's often early in the evening. He's known as a start-late, finish-late kind of guy, and it's never a huge surprise to spot him at a nightclub somewhere in the trendier area of New Kingston.

"I have to relax and enjoy life to get the best out of myself,'' Bolt wrote in his autobiography, in which he concedes he would have won many gold medals if they were handed out for partying. "If I did everything by the book, I'd be a very dull boy and I'm sure it would have a negative effect on my running.''

He likes cool cars and says he has two Hondas (involved in the minor wrecks), a BMW (besides the one he totaled), a Nissan GTR Skyline (he calls it his "Batmobile''), a Toyota Tundra (the prize for breaking the world record the first time) and an Audi Q7 (black, like all the other cars).

Stories about his diet? All true. Setting three world records on a strict intake of Chicken McNuggets. Happened. He's good about staying hydrated, though at times, he's as likely to fill up with a pint of Guinness - "It supposedly does you good because of the nutrients,'' he wrote in his book - as the endless supply of Gatorade that stocks his refrigerator thanks to a sponsorship deal.

One of his favorite dishes is his Aunt Lilly's pork, served with dumplings, banana and yam. As a kid growing up in Sherwood Content, across the island from Kingston in the rural parish of Trelawney, Bolt used to go to Lilly's house for the good food and maybe a break from his father, Wellesley, who was known as quite a taskmaster. "Bolt,'' his dad would yell, and the youngster knew he was in trouble.

The people who grew up with him in Trelawney still call Bolt "VJ,'' and he says he still goes back home when the stress of Kingston starts wearing on him.

He credits his upbringing in Trelawney, and most notably his father's influence, for instilling in him the work ethic that helped turn him into a champion.

"His parents brought a lot of discipline and respect for elders into the equation,'' Simms said. "He grew up in the country, so he was brought up like that. He's got good people around him. His coach has those kind of values, wants his athletes to act well.''

Like so many kids in Jamaica, Bolt played soccer and cricket and ran a little. By the time he was 12, though, it was undeniable: He was not an average kid.

So, off to William Knibb High School he went - a top school in Trelawney where he received a sports scholarship but had to work hard in the classroom to maintain it. As he neared college age, he attended the High Performance Training Center in Kingston to become a full-time athlete.

The high performance center is located within the University of Technology in Kingston, a 45-acre campus with about two dozen two- and three-story buildings and a rather unimpressive track that was overgrown with grass on a recent day in late June.

Bolt doesn't write kindly about his time there, saying he blossomed on the track when he left one coach there for another - Glen Mills.

It was Mills who helped Bolt develop a stretching routine for his scoliosis - he was born with one leg longer than the other - and has transformed him into the champion he is today.

Mills, along with a small stable of handlers, also are charged with the task of keeping Bolt's feet planted firmly on the ground, making sure he doesn't forget what got him to the top.

To hear Mills - and Bolt - tell it, that's a full-time job.

"The major thing that's been new for him is the increased publicity and public demand for interviews and sponsors,'' Mills said.

There's also been the newfound wealth, which allowed Bolt to buy a house on Long Mountain, Kingston's most exclusive neighborhood.

From the outside, it looks like a South Florida mansion. Inside, based on pictures in his book, it looks like, well, where any 25-year-old would live: Flat-screen TV and video games in the living room, a refrigerator stuffed with Gatorade and not much else, a few framed pictures, newspaper clippings on the walls and a table where he and his closest friends play dominoes before they go out at night.

"He's a down-to-earth guy,'' says 400-meter Olympian Jermaine Gonzalez, who trains with Bolt and became friends with him shortly after the move to Kingston. "Jovial. A people's person. Yeah, he could be a bit more serious, but that doesn't mean he's not serious. He's just never going to be the kind of guy who does nothing but track. He enjoys himself.''

At the recent Olympic trials, Bolt finished a surprising second to his training partner, Yohan Blake, in both the 100 and 200. A few days later, he pulled out of a tuneup race in Monaco because of an injury he deemed "minor'' - something he suffered at trials, where a trainer worked on his right hamstring moments after his second-place finish in the 200.

"I don't want to get into that,'' Bolt said that night, when asked about the leg. "I'm not far off. I can get it done.''

Bolt, Blake and Mills all conceded that Blake was the better-conditioned athlete coming into trials. That's not to say Bolt doesn't work hard. He is, however, one of those rare athletes who makes everything look easy, which sometimes can work to his detriment.

After his performance at National Stadium, there were questions about whether Bolt has fully grasped the challenge, and the challenger, for these Olympics.

"I never train for one person,'' Bolt said. "Everyone is talking about Yohan Blake and he is proving himself as one of the greatest. But for me, it's going back to training, getting back to work and getting done what I've got to get done.''

Those who can't get to the fence near the training track will have to wait until Aug. 4 to see where Bolt really stands. That's the night of preliminary heats in the Olympic 100 meters. The next night, if everything goes according to plan, he'll have the rematch with Blake. Americans Tyson Gay and Justin Gatlin should also be there to challenge.

Until then, the story in track - as it has been for the last four years - is Bolt.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
100m by Usain Bolt - From the film USAIN BOLT : THE FASTEST MAN ALIVE
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2012, 09:07:31 PM »
100m by Usain Bolt - From the film USAIN BOLT : THE FASTEST MAN ALIVE
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1k50oBkXxQU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1k50oBkXxQU</a>

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/olympics/article-2170558/London-2012-Olympics-Usain-Bolt-use-ice-chamber-prevent-injuries.html

Usain books in for big freeze and will use ice chamber to prevent back injuries
By Laurie Whitwell
PUBLISHED: 22:00, 8 July 2012

Usain Bolt is considering using an ice chamber in London to guarantee his fitness for this month's Olympics amid fears a back injury has derailed his preparations.

The world's fastest man has flown to Germany especially to see Dr Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt and has pulled out of his final warm-up race before the Games as he strives to get his body right for the huge challenge of defending his 100 and 200 metre titles from training partner Yohan Blake.

And Sportsmail has learned that Bolt's camp are in discussions with a British company over the cryotherapy treatment, which aids athletes' recovery by encasing them in liquid nitrogen at temperatures of minus 140C.

The 25-year-old is said to be keen on stepping into Britain's only mobile ice chamber, which the Welsh rugby team used this year as they won the Six Nations.

The chamber, supplied by CryolabSports, is secured in a former police van and can be driven to wherever it is needed.

Those using it strip to their underwear and let the cold air chill their body for up to three minutes, during which time the skin temperature drops significantly but the core stays the same.
This boosts muscle recovery after exhausting training sessions and triggers the release of endorphins which help pain relief.
Bolt, whose aura of invincibility was punctured by two defeats to 100m world champion Blake at the Jamaican trials last week, could use it right away to help him recover from the injury which forced him out of the Diamond League meeting in Monaco on July 20.

He could alternatively decide to wait until he travels to London for the Games and use it between the rounds of his three events - the 100m, 200m and 4x100m.
Mo Farah is likely to use the chamber during the Olympics as he runs for gold in the 5,000m and 10,000m.

He regularly uses one supplied by Nike at his home in Eugene, Oregon and CryolabsSports have offered their services on these shores.
Farah has said: 'You're not stiff or anything, your body's just freezing cold. But you recover right away. The following day - that's when you feel a lot better.'

His coach Alberto Salazar is a long-time fan.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bolt 'feeling good' after treatment
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2012, 11:06:53 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Bolt__feeling_good_-162018575.html

Bolt 'feeling good'
Story Created: Jul 10, 2012 at 11:02 PM ECT

LONDON

Usain Bolt is back in full training and "feeling good," his agent said yesterday, after concerns over an injury following successive defeats at the Jamaican Olympic trials.

Ricky Simms told The Associated Press in an e-mail that Bolt is fit ahead of the defence of his titles in the 100, 200 and 4x100 relay at the London Games, which open on July 27.

The world record holder in both sprint distances, Bolt lost to Yohan Blake in the 100 and 200 at his national trials and had his right hamstring stretched out by a trainer after the 200.

Bolt then pulled out of the Monaco Diamond League meet on July 20—his last planned race before the Olympics—with what his coach called "a slight problem," but Simms downplayed concerns that the injury could affect the defence of his three Olympic titles in London.

Simms also told Britain's Daily Telegraph yesterday that Bolt had struggled with a "slightly tight hamstring" at the trials.

"That's why, possibly, he didn't push as hard as he could have," Simms told the Telegraph. "He's back to normal...he's good to go. The muscle tightness is gone."

Bolt's coach had decided the Olympic champion needed a little bit of massage and treatment on the hamstring, Simms said.

Simms said Bolt would "train again hard next week so that he's ready for the Olympic Games".

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Tommie Smith sees sub 9, sub 19 Bolt with better start
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2012, 11:14:07 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Tommie_Smith_sees_sub_9__sub_19_Bolt_with_better_start-162161425.html

Tommie Smith sees sub 9, sub 19 Bolt with better start
Story Created: Jul 11, 2012 at 11:40 PM ECT

LONDON

The first man to ever run below 20 seconds in the 200 metres believes if Usain Bolt improves his start, he could break the nine-second and the 19-second barriers in the 100 and 200 metres respectively.

American Tommie Smith, who won the 200m in 19.83 seconds at the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City, said once Bolt got a start similar to that of his training partner and fellow Jamaican Yohan Blake, both current world records would be under threat.

Bolt holds the 100m world record with a clocking of 9.58 seconds at the Berlin World Championships three years ago, and the 200m record with a time of 19.19 at the same showpiece.

"If he gets a Blake start, we are looking at 8.9, 8.88, three eights in the 100 metres," Smith said Tuesday.

"If he gets a Blake start in the 200 and comes off the turn with that technique of his, he might really go sub-19."

The 25-year-old Bolt has had troubles with his start throughout his career but has traditionally used his top-end speed to his advantage.

However, in the Jamaica Olympic trials two weekends ago in Kingston, he was punished for a bad start, losing to Blake in the 100 metres despite a swift finish.

Bolt was also dealt a second defeat in the 200m, again at the hands of the impressive Blake.

Smith said his style had been similar to that of Bolt's but conceded that the reigning Olympic 200m champion's power outstripped everything else.

"I thought I was great when I ran. I didn't have the start and I didn't have the power," said Smith

"My average speed was quite close to Usain Bolt's speed. But he gained his full speed I would say five metres, six or seven strides sooner than I did. He's so powerful that he can get full speed 40 metres out in the 100, 120 metres of the 200.

"He's taller than me and more powerful. It scares you."

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Lightning Bolt Road Show!!
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2012, 07:25:34 PM »
Some of these old stagers always good for a story .. .....sub 9 ..yeah right ...Now who's got the sub 8 story ?

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2012, 07:45:14 PM »
Some of these old stagers always good for a story .. .....sub 9 ..yeah right ...Now who's got the sub 8 story ?

Steve Austin  ;D
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2012, 07:51:08 PM »
gentlemen  ....... we have the technology  :beermug:

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2012, 08:06:20 PM »
Tommie Smith was one of the black world's sprint heroes back in the day for that black power salute he made on the podium in Mexico in 1968 but it is now obvious that the grey matter is catching up with him and the braincells are not working as well as they used to!  :devil:

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2012, 08:12:12 PM »
8.8 lol
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2012, 07:13:09 PM »

Usain Bolt: The Fastest Man Alive

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IScGP3b9gUA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/IScGP3b9gUA</a>
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

truetrini

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2012, 08:00:07 PM »
Tommie Smith was one of the black world's sprint heroes back in the day for that black power salute he made on the podium in Mexico in 1968 but it is now obvious that the grey matter is catching up with him and the braincells are not working as well as they used to!  :devil:

Right here on this forum someone stated that Brown was going sub 9.7...remember that?

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Puma expects Bolt to speed up sales
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2012, 12:00:11 AM »
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/business/Puma-expects-Bolt-to-speed-up-sales_11960112#ixzz216FNbsCt

Puma expects Bolt to speed up sales
Wednesday, July 18, 2012

FRANKFURT, Germany - WITH the London Olympic Games just days away, German sportswear giant Puma is pinning its hopes on sprint legend Usain Bolt to speed up sales and outpace its bigger competitors Adidas and Nike.

Bolt, the world's fastest man who blew away his rivals to win three gold medals in Beijing four years ago, is also a key plank in the firm's strategy to shift its focus from lifestyle clothing to sportswear.

Sportswear currently accounts for 35 per cent of Puma sales, but the firm's boss, Franz Koch, wants to boost that to 40 per cent and the company sees its sponsorship of double world-record holder Bolt as key to that aim.

"We are keen to underline that we are strong in both sectors, lifestyle and performance," Puma's head of international sports marketing, Christian Voigt, told AFP.

Who better than the charismatic Bolt and the Jamaican team, also sponsored by Puma, to push the firm's dual-track strategy?

"Usain Bolt and the Jamaican team allow us to build a bridge between lifestyle and performance, a bridge they built themselves," said Voigt.

"The way of life in Jamaica, its music, its relaxed attitude, its style, its colours. This is also Puma's spirit," he said.

And Puma certainly aims to capitalise on Jamaican cultural history, hiring Cedella Marley, daughter of reggae legend Bob Marley, to design the clothes for the team.

With profits hit by the eurozone crisis, Puma is hoping for a strong Olympics to revive its fortunes.

In an earnings statement issued in April, it said net profits were down some five per cent in the first three months of the year, to ¤74 million ($8 billion) on sales of ¤821 million — a gain of six per cent.

For the full year, Puma is aiming at an increase of between five and 10 per cent in turnover with a roughly five-per cent boost in net profits. It is due to release updated figures on July 26.

It certainly has fierce competition in the run-up to the Olympics, billed as the "Battle of Britain" in terms of the fight between sports companies, with Germany's Adidas and US firm Nike leading the pack.

Adidas is pulling no punches at the Games. Its status as an official partner allows it to kit out some 85,000 people, including flame-bearers, officials, as well as the athletes in the Olympic village.

In addition, Adidas is responsible for the kit of 11 national Olympic committees, including the British, German and French teams, and will have a presence in 25 of the 26 disciplines showcased at the Games.

Adidas has invested ¤100 million in the London Olympics and is hoping for a return of the same amount, plus a huge amount of visibility.

Nike, meanwhile, is not short of ammunition, with its sponsorship of the powerful American squad.

The US firm is also winning the media scrap on social networks, a key battleground, said Hartmut Heinrich, a consultant in marketing strategy at Vivaldi Partners.

Heinrich added that Puma's strategy of focusing on one athlete was risky but has paid off in the past.

"Puma's strategy is one of David versus Goliath. They fight a guerrilla campaign which consists of obtaining the maximum effect with a small budget," the analyst told AFP.

"Puma always tries to sponsor one sportsperson in particular. Therefore they take more risk but until now, it has always worked well for them," added Heinrich, referring to Bolt.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Getting sharp! Sprint phenom Bolt on track ahead of Games
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2012, 10:53:31 PM »
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/Getting-sharp--Sprint-phenom-Bolt-on-track-ahead-of-Games_12001251

Getting sharp! Sprint phenom Bolt on track ahead of Games
Officials rubbish Blake-Bolt rivalry
BY PAUL A REID Observer Writer
Sunday, July 22, 2012

BIRMINGHAM, England — Aspirants for Usain Bolt's 100-metre title at the London Olympic Games should be nervous. In fact, very nervous.

Information coming out of the Jamaican camp here is that the world record-holder and Beijing Olympics sprint double gold medallist has been training well and is looking sharp.

"This is not the same Bolt we saw in Kingston," a source, who wished not to be identified, told the Sunday Observer yesterday. "He has been working hard and is looking really focused on his work."

The marquee Men's 100m final will be run on August 5, the day before Jamaica celebrates its 50th year of independence.

Bolt suffered shocking successive defeats in the 100m and 200m sprints at the hands of Racers Track Club teammate and Daegu World Championships 100-metre winner Yohan Blake at the Jamaica National Championships (Trials) at the back end of June.

Blake won the 100m in 9.75 seconds and the 200m in 19.80 seconds, both world-leading times this season.

However, it soon became evident that Bolt was suffering from an injury, which forced his coach Glen Mills to withdraw him from the Diamond League meet in Monaco, which was held last Friday.

Bolt's outstanding world records stand at 9.58 seconds for the 100m and 19.19 seconds for the 200 metres.

Meanwhile, representatives of Bolt and training partner Blake have both shot down suggestions that the Olympic champion has asked to train on his own.

Norman Peart, Bolt's manager, and Cubie Seegobin, Blake's agent, have both poured cold water on suggestions that there might be a rift between the two protagonists for the sprint crown at the London Olympic Games which start next week in London.

Reports surfaced earlier this week that Bolt had asked to train by himself at the University of Birmingham Munrow track and field complex.

The Jamaican team has been training behind heavy security at the recently re-laid university track.

Peart, however, told the Jamaica Observer in a telephone interview from Kingston on Friday night that the suggestions are "rubbish", as he had spoken to the athlete only hours before and there were no problems with his relationship with his teammates or Racers training partner.

Yesterday Seegobin, who was in Birmingham, echoed Peart's sentiments, adding that such a rumour is "garbage".

"You guys have no idea how close these two athletes are and people would be surprised," Seegobin told the Sunday Observer.

Meanwhile, impeccable sources told the Sunday Observer that reports of a hip injury to sprint relay pool member Schillonie Calvert were not true.

The source said Calvert, who was fifth in the 100m at the National Trials and is making her first Olympic team, participated in relay practice yesterday morning, training with the men's team and was running at full blast without any discomfort.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Usain Bolt thinks he can run a 9.4 and no faster
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2012, 10:52:29 AM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/usain-bolt-thinks-run-9-4-no-faster-132720146--oly.html

Usain Bolt thinks he can run a 9.4 and no faster
By Chris Chase | Fourth-Place Medal
Tue, Jul 24, 2012 9:27 AM EDT

The world's fastest man thinks he can go even faster -- but not by much.

Usain Bolt, who will defend his Olympic title in the 100 meters on Aug. 5, says he can run in the 9.4s in a big meet like the London Games, a time which would be considerably faster than his world record of 9.58, set during the 2009 world championships.

Anything faster than that is off the table, though.

"It is impossible to run 9.2," he told The Sun. "The body isn't made to go that fast no matter how hard you train, how good a shape you're in or how good your technique."

Bolt is looking to become the first man in over 100 years to repeat as 100-meter champion at a non-boycotted Olympics. His title defense got off to a rough start at Jamaican trials when he was upset by Yohan Blake in both sprint events.

If it's not a teammate or the inexorable pull of history that hinders Bolt in his chances to win gold with a 9.4, it could be something else: the British weather. It's been a particularly rainy summer, even by London standards. Wimbledon was called "one of the showeriest on record" by The Telegraph. And though the forecast for the early days of the Games look good, the 100-meter final on Aug. 5 is still too far off to predict.

Rain would be devastating for world record chances. Because there's no roof at Olympic Stadium, runners could have to compete in chilly, damp weather for the highly anticipated final. Carl Lewis says it will be a disadvantage for many racers. "Sprinters obviously like warmer, drier weather," he told The Telegraph. "People who may run certain ways in those conditions may not run as well."

But another American Olympic champion thinks 9.4 is on the table too. Michael Johnson said earlier this month that Bolt would need to make some improvements to run that time.

"If Usain was to be really focused and committed on cleaning up his technique he could probably run 9.4 seconds, but he would have to do some major training and adjustments in the way that he runs," Johnson said to Laureus.com. "I think he can do whatever he wants to do. If he gets to the starting line healthy, at his best, everyone else at their best, he wins every time ... he's that good."

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Usain Bolt: 'Legends have come before me, but this is my time'
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2012, 05:33:19 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/24/usain-bolt-jamaica-olympic-100m

Usain Bolt: 'Legends have come before me, but this is my time'
Donald McRae
guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 24 July 2012 13.26 BST

Jamaica's Olympic 100m and 200m champion talks about his rivals for the sprint crown, the horror of false starts and how he plans to make history at London 2012

"This will be the moment, and this will be the year, when I set myself apart from other athletes in the world," Usain Bolt says in a quiet but dramatic statement of intent on the brink of the Olympic Games in London. The world's fastest man talks with unusually deep concentration, and a calm seriousness of purpose, as he stresses his belief that he will seal his dizzying legacy in the coming days.

"A lot of legends, a lot of people, have come before me," Bolt says. "But this is my time."

There is composure, rather than arrogance, in Bolt's voice. In a candid and open interview, the 25-year-old Jamaican has already dealt with the shadows of his recent dips and doubts and the threatening figure of his friend, and now imposing rival, Yohan Blake. Bolt knows that if he can overcome all his new challenges, and disappointments over the last year, he can join sport's most exalted pantheon.

No man has ever successfully defended his 100m Olympic and 200m titles on the track. Carl Lewis's name is now in the record books after his second-place finish to Ben Johnson in the 1988 Olympic 100m final in Seoul was upgraded to a gold medal following the doping scandal which ruined that race forever. But no sprinter has retained his 200m Olympic crown – let alone repeated a hat-trick by also winning the 4x100m relay for a second successive time. If Bolt replicates his feats from the Beijing Olympics, where he won three gold medals with blistering speed and irresistible panache, his name will echo alongside near mythic sporting figures like Jesse Owens, Muhammad Ali, Pele and Michael Phelps.

In 2008, three billion people, apparently, watched Bolt shatter the world record and win the Olympic 100m final with ridiculous ease in Beijing. His blurring 6ft 5in frame, and huge stride, helped produce the most exhilarating trick of time. Running faster than any man had ever run before, Bolt was so far ahead of his straining rivals he made it appear as if he had slowed to a saunter as he spread his arms wide in a "look-at-me" gesture and crossed the winning line. He wore the expression of a man who had conquered the world.

This time, in London, will be different. Bolt could be tested in exacting ways. Yet an even larger global television audience will be entranced by the prospect of him securing his reputation as the greatest sprinter in history.

The mistaken assumption used to be that Bolt simply needed to turn up, mug for the camera with some dance-hall steppin', and then run and win, before reaching for his arrow-shooting victory pose. "What can I do?" he says. "You can only do your work and let people believe what they want. I work my hardest because I know what it takes to be a champion. I know what I want and I'm focused on what I need to do to win."

Yet a contrasting quartet of races now flits across the usually sunny outlook of the brilliant and charismatic Jamaican. Last year, at the world championships in Daegu, South Korea, Bolt lost his 100m title after he was disqualified following a false start. While Bolt cried out in agonised frustration, as he stalked around a confined area behind the track, the re-started race was won by Blake, his club-mate and younger rival.

Two months ago, in late May, Bolt ran the worst 100m of his professional career and recorded a time of 10.04sec in Ostrava, failing to break 10 seconds for the first time in three years. "I had a bad start and had no feeling the whole race," a dejected Bolt told the massed cameras and recorders. "My legs kinda felt dead. I don't know the reason. The first 40 metres were really bad. I never felt the power out of my legs."

Bolt still won that low-key race but, tellingly, he suffered two defeats in three days at the Jamaican trials. On 30 June, he was beaten in the 100m by the 22 year-old Blake, who won in 9.75sec – 0.11sec quicker than Bolt. More shockingly, on 1 July, Blake defeated Bolt in the 200m, a distance over which the Olympic champion had been considered "unbeatable" for years.

These setbacks have deepened an already consuming interest in the men's sprint for the battle between Bolt and Blake adds another dimension to the glamour and thrilling blur of the 100m. Bolt retains his grip on his romantic title as the world's fastest man and his 9.58 record has been unmatched for almost three years, but Blake has won the three races that have mattered most to them over the last 11 months.

Yet, training in Birmingham as he winds down his preparations for London, Bolt remains engagingly uncomplicated. He does not shy away from a single question or seek refuge in evasive self-effacement. Instead, he is honest in underlining a belief that his "ups and downs" will make retaining his three Olympic titles all the sweeter.

"Definitely," Bolt says, reaching for his favourite word. "When you go through a lot it helps because you can say all these things happened for a reason. The key thing to remember is that hard work does pay off. If you put the work in, it will definitely pay off in the long run."

Bolt speaks plainly when suggesting that, after enduring unfamiliar adversity, he has become mentally stronger. "Yeah, definitely. It gets annoying but, after a while, you get used to people making their own comments and just judging you. But I'm always positive. I know what I want. I know what I am capable of. But it makes you stronger when you have to work so hard to get better and you have to go through all these trials. So I don't stress. I just focus on what is necessary."

He sounds convinced he is now in the kind of shape that will ensure his victory in both the 100m and 200m Olympic finals. "Definitely," Bolt says, relishing the familiar punch of that same old word. "Each training session I'm getting better and better. I have no other duties now, no worries, it's all about training, eating and sleeping. I have a lot more time and can put a lot more effort into training. I'm feeling better every day. As long as I'm feeling myself I'm definitely in no doubt I can go to the Olympics and win."

It's easy to believe in Bolt – primarily because of his outrageous speed and ebullient conviction – but today I am utterly persuaded by his willingness to confront some darker moments. It can be heard in his insistence that "it's always good to lose. It wakes you up." This does not sound like a distressed lament.

Yet footage at last year's world championship captured Bolt's angry devastation at being disqualified. Asked if those emotions defined the worst moments of his career Bolt is emphatic: "Yeah, definitely. Without a doubt – because I worked so hard in coming back from injury last season. Everything came together at the right time and for me to squander it explains why I was so upset with myself. At that very moment it felt so bad because I knew I could've won the race."

Surely the one false-start rule seems crazy to Bolt? If it happened in London, and Bolt or Blake was disqualified, it would kill a much-anticipated race not just for the affected athlete but for billions of viewers. "Listen," Bolt says, "rules were made. For me to make a mistake does not now allow me to say we should change that rule. My coach [Glen Mills] always explains that it's not about anticipation. It's about being professional and getting it done and when you're out there you should listen because the starter is the judge and jury. You should just focus on getting the start right."

Bolt has often struggled with his start, for it is the weakest area of his otherwise imperious sprinting pedigree, but does his disqualification in Daegu haunt him? Did it affect his slow starts in Ostrava and at the Jamaican trials?

"No, I don't think so," he says in a measured tone. "Every season, for me, it's like starting from scratch again. Me and my coach sat down and evaluated and talked a lot about this. We've figured out where I have gone wrong and what I need to do to make sure I get a consistent start."

Has he found a method to produce that more consistent start? "Yeah, yeah, definitely. I've actually bought some blocks that we're going to be using at the Olympics and I've been training with them. I will be much more comfortable and much more consistent starting with those blocks at the Olympics."

And yet, right next to him, or just a few lanes away, Blake will hunker down into his own blocks. Was Bolt shocked to suffer successive defeats to Blake? "You can't say it's a shock. For me, it's good to have your eyes opened wide. To have ups and downs so you can really evaluate what you did wrong or what you need to do to get back where you need to be. It was extremely good it happened at the trials so I could refocus."

Was he shaken by his sluggish run in Ostrava where, briefly, he appeared bewildered by his performance? "No. It wasn't really a concern for long. I just knew [Bolt laughs] I wasn't getting enough sleep. All I needed was some sleep and then I felt better. The next day I was back to my normal self."

Some critics suggested Bolt was partying too much, but did defeat rekindle his hunger for success? "My hunger is always there," Bolt says coolly. "Things happen throughout the season that throw you off sometimes but you have to learn from your mistakes. I just need to put things in place to make sure it doesn't happen at the Olympics. I just try and get over it and get my confidence up to a level where I'm comfortable at the Games."

Bolt was not physically at his best, and struggling with a tight hamstring, but he refuses to excuse his successive losses in Jamaica. Great sprinters, after all, require great rivals to lend gravitas to their legacy. Has Blake emerged, just in time, to push Bolt to even more extraordinary heights?

"Well, for me, Yohan is going to be a great athlete and, so far, he has shown the potential to be that great. But I think, definitely, Tyson Gay is one of the fiercest athletes out there."

Bolt has beaten Gay decisively over the years and it seems striking he should name-check the American alongside Blake. Gay himself has stressed that no one can match Bolt's "big-event mentality". This will be Bolt's third Olympics while Blake remains untested in the most brutal sprinting arena. "I wouldn't say it's a big factor," Bolt says of Blake's inexperience, "but it will play a role because to show up in the Olympics is not easy.

"It's not going to be him alone. It's going to be me, Asafa Powell [also from Jamaica], Tyson, Justin Gatlin [the US's 2004 Olympic 100m champion who returned last year from a doping suspension] and all these guys. It's a packed race with top-class athletes so it will be a different level of competition for Yohan. It's going to take a lot of focus. And it's going to cause a lot of stress. It will really test him as an athlete – and as a person overall. We'll see how good he is."

There is no biting cynicism in Bolt's calm statement. Rather, he makes it sound as if he is as intrigued as we are to discover the depth of an opponent known as The Beast. Was Bolt really the first man to give Blake his nickname? "I said it once and people just took it and called him The Beast. I said he's a beast at training so people have now started calling him The Beast."

Does Bolt regret stamping such a fierce alias on his most serious adversary? "No!" he exclaims. "It's a good nickname and he likes it so it doesn't bother me in any way. It doesn't matter."

In a similarly jokey vein, Blake claims to be a better fast bowler than Bolt, who still carries a high self-regard on the cricket pitch. "He plays lots of cricket," Bolt says of Blake, "so he might be in better shape than me. But I was great. I haven't played cricket in a while but I know what I can do.

He also knows what Blake is capable of on the track. Even more than defeat in the trials, or being forced to surrender his world title, another image links Bolt to Blake. It comes from a Diamond League meeting in Brussels last September on a night when Bolt won the 100m in a carefree 9.76. Yet, later, the cameras homed in on a visibly startled Bolt as he watched Blake cross the 200m finish line in 19.26 – the second fastest time in history. Bolt's world record of 19.19 had not been dented but the taller, older and much more illustrious sprinter could not help himself. His hand covered his mouth as if he needed to muffle his astonishment. It seemed a graphic insight into his true feelings about the rising threat of Blake.

The rivalry between the two men is now such that, sharing the same coach in Mills at the Racers Club in Kingston, they train apart. Yet their friendship off the track continues in seemingly untarnished fashion. At the world championships last year, Bolt shared an apartment with Blake and Powell. Will that happen again at the Olympic village?

"Of course," Bolt says. "We're always going to be friends and team-mates. It's being part of a team. You need to be around people so you can laugh and relax. All the seriousness of the track happens when you line up and the starter takes over. For me the important thing is to be relaxed and not worry about anything."

The rest of us can simply savour a 100m final which is being described as, potentially, the race of all races. Bolt himself hardly resists the giddy anticipation of a sprinting showdown on Sunday 5 August. All eight finalists could conceivably run under 10 seconds. "If the weather is great I definitely think it could be the greatest race. We have six guys who, for sure, can run under 9.9 and they should all make the final. So there is no doubt this could go down as the greatest final ever. If the weather is great and things work out then everything is possible – that's my motto."

Such expectation engenders searing tension. Bolt likes to claim his most jubilant moment on the track came when he was just 15 and he won the 100m junior world championships in Kingston. Yet before that race he was so nervous he initially put his shoes on the wrong feet. He chortles at the suggestion that, considering his commitment to Puma, his long-time sponsors, he won't make the same mistake in London. Yet surely even Bolt will struggle to contain his nerves? How will he compose himself the night before and, then, in the last hour and the final moments before he settles in his starting blocks?

"It's always good to have a little bit of nerves. You've just got to deal with it. And I think I'm past being extra-nervous – especially when I feel myself. When I'm myself there is never any worry and, right now, I'm starting to feel better and better in training. The nerves get less and less the better I feel."

Bolt can relish, instead, the prospect of winning three Olympic finals in London which, for him, "couldn't be a better place. It couldn't get bigger than this. There couldn't be nowhere else because London is really like a second Jamaica."

Is it possible that Bolt, Blake and Powell could complete a Jamaican hat-trick of medals in the 100m? "It's going to be interesting," he says with a throaty chuckle. "But I can't call that because I can't say if everybody will be relaxed on the day. But I'm going out there to win. I can't speak for anyone else."

Gatlin and Gay will be intent on ruining that Jamaican rivalry. The former Olympic champion, Gatlin, has regained some of his old speed and ferocious commitment. At a meeting in Zagreb he even seemed to spit into Bolt's lane – a gesture which elicited amusement in the smiling Jamaican.

"I just think that's what he's used to," Bolt says of Gatlin. "He's pretty much an old-school athlete and, back in the day, it was all about intimidation. But for me it wasn't anything. I was really focused."

Does Gatlin actually believe he can intimidate a man who has run the 100m in 9.58sec? Bolt laughs wryly. "I'm not intimidated by Justin Gatlin. I think he has used it on a couple of other athletes but I'm a different person. It won't work with me."

Bolt, instead, can rely on both his staggering reputation and a renewed appetite for hard work to send a shiver down his rivals. Even The Beast has acknowledged that Bolt has put in the long hours to reach near perfect shape for London. "I've definitely worked hard for these Olympics," Bolt says. "Really hard. You have to put a lot behind you and it's all about sacrifice. You must sacrifice a lot."

His wait for the London Olympics to finally open on Friday is not quite over. The quick man considers the slow drag of an English summer and, for a moment, Bolt sounds almost philosophical.

"I think the days are getting even longer, surprisingly," he says with a light laugh as the deceptive nature of time amuses him. "They seem to be moving real slow now. I guess when you want something to start, now, it takes longer. And, definitely, the evenings are even slower."

Bolt, however, seems set on running so fast he will enshrine his legacy in London. "I've been saying this for years," he murmurs as he reiterates his ambition to dominate. On a cool English evening in Birmingham, as the sun fades and Bolt slips away to face down the hours, his words echo again.

"This will be the moment …this will be the year … this is my time."

Those words conjure up an image of Bolt bending time again as he flies across the Olympic track with fresh resolve. He carries the conviction of a man ready to run into the stunned embrace of history.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 05:34:50 PM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bolt's a 7-million hit on Facebook
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2012, 08:51:48 PM »
http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20120724/sports/sports6.html

Bolt's a 7-million hit on Facebook
Published: Tuesday | July 24, 2012

BIRMINGHAM:

In four years after creating a Facebook fan page, Usain Bolt has racked up to 7,018,290 fans and counting.

Bolt's page was officially created June 1, 2008 and since then he has had consistent growth over the period.

Bolt is the only track and field athlete with this kind of following on Facebook and since the beginning of May he has added 420,000 fans.

The Jamaican's biggest fan base, according to Facebook, is from the United Kingdom, with just under one million, while the countries rounding out the top 10 are India, United States, France, Italy, Australia, Canada, Jamaica, Germany and Chile (in that order).

The top 10 cities are London, Kingston, Paris, New Delhi, Chennai, Santiago, Nairobi, Mumbai, Accra and Bangalore.

His most popular fans are the 18-24 male, 13-17 male and 25-34 male; while his most popular female fans fall within the 18-24 age range.

Bolt, in an interview thanked his fans for the support and wants all of them to know he appreciates their support.

Bolt is readying with his Jamaican teammates for a full dose of London for the Olympic Games from July 27 to August 12.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Usain Bolt ready to defend titles in London
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2012, 05:45:04 PM »
Usain Bolt ready to defend titles despite being only 95% fit

Olympic 100m and 200m champion Usain Bolt says he has overcome back and hamstring problems and is ready to defend his Olympic titles.

The Jamaican tells BBC Sport's David Bond that despite not being 100% fit, he is confident he can retain his titles and secure his legacy in London.

Bolt was speaking four years to the day since he smashed the 100m world record at the 2008 Beijing Games with a time of 9.69 seconds, despite slowing to celebrate before the finishing line.

Click link to view video of interview: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19007962

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bolt says fit for fastest 100-metre ever
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2012, 01:09:25 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/Bolt_says_fit_for_fastest_100-metre_ever-163969426.html

Bolt says fit for fastest 100-metre ever
Story Created: Jul 26, 2012 at 11:39 PM ECT

l LONDON

Usain Bolt says he is fit and ready for the London Olympics and is convinced his defence of the 100 metres title could trigger one of the fastest ever races in the blue riband sprint.

The 25-year-old Jamaican said he had been training well after a minor hamstring problem and reiterated his desire to become a "legend" of the sport by defending his 100m and 200m titles.

Concerns about the fitness of the biggest name in track and field arose when cameras were banned from his training sessions and he was pictured receiving treatment on his hamstring.

Bolt dismissed those concerns, saying a stiff back causing some problems for his hamstring had been fixed.

"I'm always ready," the 100m and 200m world record holder told a news conference yesterday.

"I keep telling you guys, it's all about the championships, it's not about the trials, it's not about one run, every athlete knows this.

"My coach determines whether we train in front of cameras or not, he doesn't like the cameras.

"I went and I trained, I had slight problems but nothing too serious, I got that fixed and I've been training great.

"I'm ready to go, I came into the camp today and felt that chill, that's a good vibe so I'm happy."

Bolt's aura of invincibility was dented earlier this month when he was beaten over both 100m and 200m by training partner and world champion Yohan Blake at the Jamaican trials.

"I've been beaten before the Olympics before, Asafa (Powell) did it in '08, it's always a wake-up call to be beaten in the season but it's better at the trials than at the Olympics," Bolt said.

"It opened my eyes, I sit down and rethink a few things. But for me it's just about getting it right on the day. I'm alright."

World champion Blake's time in the 100m at the trials, 9.75 seconds, was the fastest of the year but he is not the only challenger to Bolt's crown who has been in impressive form this season.

Justin Gatlin, the Athens Olympic champion, returned from a four-year doping ban to run 9.80 to win the US trial while his compatriot Tyson Gay has also run under the 10-second barrier.

The man who has run under ten seconds more than any other runner, former world record holder Powell, was alongside Bolt on the stage on Thursday and is also likely to be in the final on August 5.

"Hands down, for sure, I'm thinking this could be one of the fastest 100 metres anyone has ever seen because these guys have been showing potential all season, a lot of guys have been running fast because it's an Olympic year," said Bolt.

Powell, who has admitted to having psychological problems when he races the likes of Bolt and Gay, said he was confident he would contribute fully to the occasion.

"It's just going to be very exciting. I don't know what is going to happen in the finals," he said.

"All I know is a lot of people are expecting Usain to win way out in front but it's not as easy as you think.

"If I don't make the podium, I'll be very disappointed. I know I have what it takes to go out there and put in on the track and a lot of guys will eat my dust."

Bolt said whatever happened in London, he would continue to run track and field after the Games but would try to do it in a way that was less stressful.

He left no doubt, however, of his goal in London, where he will carry Jamaica's flag at the opening ceremony today.

"Usain can become a legend so I'm on it," he said.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Usain Bolt mobbed in Olympic Village, recruits Jamaican track teammates
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2012, 12:04:42 AM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--usain-bolt-mobbed-in-olympic-village--recruits-jamaican-track-teammates-to-be-personal-security.html

Usain Bolt mobbed in Olympic Village, recruits Jamaican track teammates to be personal security
Martin Rogers

LONDON – Usain Bolt has arranged a personal entourage comprising Jamaican track colleagues to shield him from the attention of other athletes in the Olympic Village.

On Thursday, Bolt was mobbed by excited Olympians when he strolled into the vast dining hall as hundreds stood to cheer and applaud the defending triple gold medalist.

Since even the biggest stars are not allowed to bring their own security into the sanctuary of the Village, Bolt has had to call upon a group of Jamaican teammates to ensure he does not face too much intrusion away from the track.

"Mr. Bolt descended on the food hall for lunch," British field hockey player Chloe Rogers said. "We were loving the whole entourage around him, including his training buddy and rival Yohan Blake."

Discus thrower Jason Morgan, shot putter Dorian Scott (who has worked part-time as a bouncer in Jamaica) and 4x100 meter relay reserve Kemar Bailey-Cole have been tasked with shadowing Bolt whenever he ventures outside the Vesta House, the apartment block in the Village where the entire Jamaican contingent is staying.

"They are with him wherever he goes," an Olympic athlete told Yahoo! Sports. "The whole [dining room] went crazy when he first came in. For a couple of minutes everyone just turned into a fan. No one actually went up and asked for an autograph but it wouldn't have been a surprise.

"I got a photo with Bolt at the Village in Beijing but that won't be happening this time around. Those guys, especially the big shot putter, won’t let anyone get close."

Bolt was able to enjoy a relatively peaceful existence in the Village at Beijing, but his profile is now far greater after winning Olympic gold in the 100 and 200 meters and the 400 relay in spectacular fashion. He is guaranteed to generate significant attention at every turn.

"The boys have got my back," Bolt said. "We are a close team and everyone looks out for each other. I want the others to win for Jamaica just as much as I want to win for myself. They help me out and I will be cheering for them."

Even his choice of food on Thursday was scrutinized. With hundreds of pairs of eyes watching him, Bolt walked past the counter for McDonald's, whose chicken nuggets he famously ate before his finals four years ago, and instead opted for grilled chicken from a Caribbean food kiosk.

Bolt begins his Olympic campaign on August 4 in the preliminary heats of the 100 meters.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Simply-unbelievable-_12082305

Simply unbelievable!
Don Anderson’s first-hand account of the mayhem of Bolt’s journey to the Opening Ceremony

Monday, July 30, 2012

All of us taking part in the athletes' parade did not get a chance to see the Opening Ceremony; but the Jamaican contingent got to see the Usain Bolt show on our way to the stadium.

Bolt was selected as the flag bearer. He readily agreed to do this, but as the time drew near (7:00 pm for a 9:00 pm departure from the village) we learnt that he was not keen to march again, as we had to walk the mile to the stadium and he was concerned, as we all were, that he would be harassed.

Eventually, he agreed to go ahead and what happened next is just simply unbelievable.

I have never seen anyone cheered and shouted after as Bolt was for the mile journey. Schoolchildren and adults lined the route in thousands and we heard cheers of "Usain Bolt, Usain Bolt" the whole way. I mean the noise was deafening and the cheers went on nonstop.

Autograph hunters, people who just wanted to touch his hands, people who just wanted to see him, thronged the place. He obliged and worked the show. He ran along the barrier, touching hands, playing with his supporters and taking photos with them. He danced his way down the road, ran up to something that looked like a ref's chair at a tennis match and sat; and of course, he did his famous pose.

Athletes from other countries walking the route left their delegations and found their way amongst us just wanting a photo op with him and he obliged, especially with the pretty girls, and there were plenty.

I have never seen anything like this, nor certainly have I been involved with anything like this. But you know how we were able to get through? The six biggest guys in our team, the shot putter, the discus thrower, all six-foot-three and more had to form a human barricade around him and ward off athletes from other countries, security persons whose job it was to maintain order in the lines and volunteer staff guiding the parade, from getting too close to him.

It was a crazy scene. When we got inside to the centre of the field, they came from near and far. I don't think anyone heard what was being said in the stadium, everyone was just coming to get a photo of Bolt, people standing on chairs, cameras held aloft. When he got tired and sat down, surrounded by his 'bodyguards' people got chairs and still found ways to try to get a shot at him.

It was just incredible. And throughout it all, he loved it. He has a personality second to none.

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hard work is the key to success

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2012, 07:50:13 PM »

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/how-usain-bolt-earns--20-million-a-year-20120806.html

How Usain Bolt Earns $20 Million A Year
ForbesBy Kurt Badenhausen | Forbes – 8 hours ago

Yahoo! Finance Portfolio

Usain Bolt entered the 2008 Summer Olympics as somewhat of a curiosity. Yes, he had recently set the world record in the 100-meter dash, but few people outside the track and field world knew much about the 6-foot-5 Jamaican. He had excelled at the 200-meter distance, but was relatively new to the 100-meter event. His only sponsors before Beijing were Puma, which signed Bolt to a small deal in 2003, and Digicel, a Jamaican mobile phone company.

[More from Forbes: The Highest-Paid Olympic Athletes]

Three gold medals and three world records later, Bolt left Beijing as one of the most famous athletes on the planet. He set records in the 100 and 200, becoming the first man to capture Olympic gold in both events since Carl Lewis in 1984. He was part of the 4×100 meter Jamaican relay team that shattered the world record on the way to another gold. Life has never been the same for the world’s fastest man.

Usain Bolt (Photo credit: Wikipedia)As Bolt’s fame soared, his paycheck took off as well. Bolt earned an estimated $20.3 million over the last 12-months from prize money, bonuses, appearance fees and sponsors. He ranks No. 63 among the world’s highest-paid athletes. Bolt has a ways to go to challenge LeBron James and Kobe Bryant in terms of earnings, but his income is more than 20 times what other elite sprinters typically make in a year and more than any other athlete in the history of track and field.

Bolt inked endorsement deals with Gatorade, Swiss watchmaker Hublot and Virgin Media after Beijing. Visa signed him to an agreement and splashed Bolt’s image on billboards across Europe, where track and field remains a popular sport. Visa is in position to use Bolt in ads during London as an official sponsor of the Olympic Games.

[More from Forbes: The World’s 100 Highest-Paid Athletes]

Soul Electronics signed a deal with Bolt this year and he will develop his own line of headphones for the company. He added a multimillion dollar pact in June with Nissan Motor, which plans to use Bolt in a global ad campaign. He released his autobiography, “9:58: Being the World’s Fastest Man,” in 2010, and another book is in the works for after London.

Bolt’s biggest paycheck comes courtesy of Puma, where he is the global face of the German sportswear company. Puma re-signed Bolt in 2010 to a deal worth $9 million annually. It is an astronomical sum for a track athlete and on par with what only a handful of the most marketable basketball, soccer and tennis stars receive from shoe and apparel contracts. In contrast, a massive Nike deal for a football or baseball player is $1 million.

Prize money in track and field is relatively paltry. Athletes compete each year in the Samsung Diamond League, which is made up of 14 events around the world. Winners of individual races receive $10,000 with the year-end winner earning an additional $40,000. First place in the biennial World Championships is worth $60,000 and world records carry bonuses of $100,000 in that event. Bolt typically competes in 7 to 9 Diamond League events and earns additional sponsor bonuses based on his performances.

[More from Forbes: Tiger Woods Tops List Of Highest Paid Golfers]

While prize money is small, Bolt’s ultimate running payday is often huge thanks to appearance fees. His fee starts at $200,000 and can reach $350,000 for a big meet. Bolt commands the huge sums because he guarantees a sellout when competing.

“Bolt is the highest-paid athlete in the history of track and field, but he’s also probably the most underpaid athlete in the history of track and field,” says Paul Doyle, a veteran track and field agent, in a Bolt story published last week in Sports Illustrated.

His appearance at the Penn Relays in 2010 resulted in the highest single day attendance (54,310) in the event’s 118-year history. Regarding the crowd’s reaction when Bolt started warming up, U.S. sprinter Mike Barber said, “It was so loud, I thought, ‘Is the President here?’”

Bolt can command these massive sums of money because he has transcended the world of track and field the way Tiger Woods did in golf during his peak and Michael Jordan did in basketball.

The 100-meter final was the hottest ticket going into the Olympics. London 2012 organizers received more than one million requests for tickets for the event with prices set at $1,130, which is more than any other event. Bolt faced stiff competition from countryman Yohan Blake, who is the current 100-meter world champion after Bolt was disqualified from the race last year for a false start. Blake also beat Bolt at the Jamaican Olympic trials.

Bolt held off Blake and the field Sunday night to capture the gold in an Olympic record 9.63 seconds. He joins Carl Lewis as the only men to win consecutive gold medals in the 100-meter event. Maintaining his role as the world’s fastest man will allow Bolt to continue to command huge premiums in regards to his race appearance fees and endorsement contracts.
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2012, 08:05:51 AM »
I wonder how much a pound for grapes this sour?

http://www.newser.com/story/37297/carl-lewis-hints-at-bolt-drug-connection.html

(Newser) – US Olympic great Carl Lewis says Jamaica needs to toughen its drug policy before he’ll take Usain Bolt’s sprinting feats seriously. “I think there are some issues,” Lewis tells Sports Illustrated. “No one is accusing anyone. But don’t live by a different rule and expect the same kind of respect.” Unlike the US, Jamaica does not have a random drug-testing program.

“For someone to run 10.03 one year and 9.69 the next, if you don't question that … you're a fool. Period,” said Lewis, adding that were he dominating today, he would expect to be questioned. Lewis was offended, he added, when a top track official said Bolt’s performances were more impressive than Lewis’. “For him to make that judgment is wrong,” says Lewis. “He should talk about Usain on his own merits.”
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2012, 08:12:21 AM »
that article from 2008 i believe...but yeah Carl Lewis always sour
Back in Trini...

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »

He should not talk, ask him about them braces on he teeth he use to wear , or the drug test he fail that was hidden
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2012, 09:01:11 AM »

He should not talk, ask him about them braces on he teeth he use to wear , or the drug test he fail that was hidden

exactly...plenty questions on how clean he was
Back in Trini...

1]; } ?>