March 29, 2024, 09:58:11 AM

Author Topic: Moruga Police Shooting  (Read 7029 times)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Moruga Police Shooting
« on: July 28, 2011, 11:50:08 AM »
Sandy receives report from Gibbs
'Let investigation continue'
By Julien Neaves

Story Created: Jul 27, 2011 at 11:43 PM ECT

Story Updated: Jul 27, 2011 at 11:43 PM ECT

NATIONAL Security Minister Brigadier John Sandy reported he has received a preliminary report from Commissioner of Police Dwayne Gibbs on the killing of three people by police officers in Moruga.

He has also asked protesting residents of that area to allow for the investigations to continue.

Abigail Johnson, 20; her best friend, Allana Duncan, 28; and construction worker Kerron Eccles, 26, were shot and killed when police intercepted their car in Barrackpore last Friday night.

From Tuesday, a group of Moruga residents have engaged in protests, calling for justice over the killings, vowing not to stop until the officers are suspended and charged.

Sandy was speaking with the media yesterday, following a signing ceremony with representatives of the Organisation of American States at the National Security Ministry, Temple Court Building, Port of Spain.

He noted investigations into the killings were ongoing and upon completion, a report will be submitted.

He said both he and Gibbs were aware that the protest action in Moruga intensified yesterday.

"And I am making an appeal to the citizens in the Moruga area to allow the investigation to take its course," he said.

He noted he saw residents praying for the repose of the lost souls and families, and he joined in that prayer and grief.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Moruga Police Shooting
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 11:52:06 AM »
'No funerals until 2nd autopsy'
By Carolyn Kissoon and Richard Charan

Story Created: Jul 27, 2011 at 11:43 PM ECT

The funerals for the three Moruga residents killed by police last Friday during an alleged shoot-out have been cancelled by relatives, demanding the bodies be examined again as part of the homicide investigation.

The relatives of victims Abigail Johnson, Allana Duncan and Kerron Eccles said none would be buried until someone took responsibility.

Relatives believe they were not given a full forensic report on the autopsies performed at the Forensic Science Centre in St James on Monday.

Relatives said the three, shot multiple times, were innocent and killed by police looking for someone else.

But it emerged last night that the car in which the three were killed was stolen.

The impounded Nissan B15 Sentra was carrying false registration plates of PBS 1766.

Police said the vehicle's correct registration is PBT 8097 and was stolen at gunpoint from a woman in New Settlement, California, on January 4 this year.

The owner of the car was contacted yesterday and taken to a funeral home where she positively identified Kerron Eccles as the man who robbed her of the car.

A criminal background trace also revealed that Johnson, 20, and Eccles, 26, were charged last year with kidnapping, and Eccles was charged in the past with breach of a protection order.

Nicole Eccles, the sister of Kerron Eccles, said yesterday, "We know they (police) are holding back on information. And we are not going to allow this. We need to know what happened to these three people. We are doing private autopsies because we need to know the truth. The funerals, which were already planned, were cancelled".

Duncan, 28, of Duncan Village, San Fernando, was expected to be laid to rest yesterday. Johnson and Eccles, both of St Mary's Village, Moruga, were to be buried following a street procession tomorrow.

"But we don't know what is happening yet because this thing not ending. We not stopping until we get answers. I cannot say whether or not the funeral service is on Friday," Eccles's brother, Junior Eccles, said.

The three were shot dead during an alleged shoot-out with police at Poui Trace and Rochard Road, Barrackpore.

Police were responding to reports that a man wanted for last month's murder of Negus Hughes, 25, and his friend, 32-year-old Dexter Mendoza, in Circular Road, San Fernando, was seen in a car heading into Barrackpore.

Police said the officers attempted to intercept the white Nissan B15 but were fired upon. The officers responded, wounding three occupants.

They were pronounced dead on arrival at the Princes Town District Hospital. Investigators said the wanted man ditched the car and got into another vehicle, minutes before the shooting. A 9mm pistol was recovered in the car, police said.

Residents and eyewitnesses claim the three were unarmed and executed by police.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 11:54:42 AM »
Verna: I'm in solidarity with residents
By Kimberly Castillo

MINISTER of Gender, Youth and Child Development Verna St Rose Greaves says she stands united with Moruga residents as they continue their cries for justice for the shooting deaths of Abigail Johnson, 20, Allana Duncan, 28, and Kerron "Fingers" Eccles, 27, at the hands of police on Friday night. 

"I want to extend my condolences, and I want to send positive and soothing energy to you and to your community as you go through this difficult period. I looked at the television last night and I saw some of the residents dance, and they danced in their pain and frustration. We stand in solidarity with you in your pursuit of justice," said St Rose-Greaves as she spoke at the graduation ceremony of Toco Foundation's Parenting Programme at the Victoria Pritchard Resource Centre, Galera Road, Toco, yesterday.

Founder and projects director of the Toco Foundation Michael Als yesterday also vented anger over the killings and said the community of Moruga was now plunged into grief and despair over Friday's killings. 

"In St Mary's, Moruga, where we work, there is great alarm, grief, disappointment and sadness for something so utterly unacceptable, untenable and brutish (can happen)... It is not okay, and it is not acceptable," said an emotional Als.

He added: "Justice has to be done and will be done."

Als spoke fondly of Eccles and Johnson whom he knew personally.

"The young man they called 'Fingers', we know for a fact was not involved in any criminal activity; only the Sunday before, he was participating in a service for the Open Bible Church in St Patrick; we know Abigail as the girl who runs a video club, trying to run her business and earn a living, a young girl just in her early 20s. She's part of our parenting programme; in fact, 'Fingers' is the uncle of our leading Gatekeepers (community custodian).

"It is not easy to know that two of them came out of a motor vehicle asking for mercy and they were shown none at all. What type of country have we become that the young of the nation can be treated that way and then be accused of being bandits," said Als.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 11:57:27 AM »
RAGE
Protesters face off with riot squad
By Richard Charan South Bureau

Nothing could stop the protest yesterday of Moruga residents who blockaded the St Mary's Police Post before daybreak, daring the officers to leave the compound.

Riot squad officers deployed to the area faced off with protesters, who defied orders to clear the barricades along every road leading to the community.

Around 3.45 p.m., police were able to clear the last blocked road at Poui Trace Junction, where the killings occurred.

Commissioner of Police Dwayne Gibbs sent as an emissary, Superintendent Irvin Hackshaw, to tell the protesters a new investigator, head of the Homicide Bureau in Port of Spain Donald Denoon, was assigned to probe the killings.

Hackshaw said it was up to Gibbs whether the police officers involved in the killings would be suspended during the investigations.

But the residents rejected all requests to go home, instead, calling for Gibbs and Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar to make a personal visit, promising safe passage and insisting the roadblocks would not end until police officers involved in the killing were arrested and charged.

It was only late yesterday that protesters left the streets, promising today to weld steel beams across the roads to prevent the excavators and dump truck used yesterday from breaking through.

By then, Social Development Minister Dr Glenn Ramadharsingh had abandoned plans to visit Moruga as part of the ministry's Direct Impact programme.

The protests began on Monday, sparked by the killing last Friday night of Abigail Johnson, 20, Allana Duncan and Kerron Eccles, 26, who were in a car near the intersection of Rochard Douglas Road and Poui Trace, Barrackpore.

Police said they responded to a report that a double murder suspect was seen in the car.

The police claim when they made an interception, there was a shoot-out, and the three victims were shot and later pronounced dead at the Princes Town District Hospital.

The families of the dead said they were told by multiple witnesses to the shooting that there was no shoot-out and the three were shot multiple times while begging for their lives.

The relatives said they were visited on Monday by investigators from the Police Complaints Authority but had no faith the case would lead to a criminal prosecution.

Yesterday, signposts, logs, derelict vehicles and sugarcane harvesting equipment were pulled across roads manned by hundreds of people dancing to the chant, "The police don't know obeah".

A weeping Sherwin Mitchell told police officers, "If this was Westmoorings, case solve already, but down in the country, they taking we for fools. If Gibbs and Kamla was in that car (Friday night), they woulda be gunned down, too."

Eccles's brother, Ricardo Eccles, shouted, "Why Gibbs not here? They could bring the whole army and we still not moving. Because the officers who kill my brother should be arrested already." Ricardo collapsed on the roadway screaming and had to be carried away.

Protesters advised Member of Parliament for the area Clifton De Coteau not to visit.

"He didn't come to the wake. He didn't come to the families. He only passing up and down, going Moruga Heritage (Week, being held on the Moruga coast this week until Monday)" one shouted.

De Coteau told the Express he planned to visit the families last evening.

"I tried to get there this morning, but the roads were blocked and now, I have to go to Port of Spain, so I will go there this evening. Whenever someone in my constituency (needs me), I try my best to visit them," he said.

The protesters also warned the policeman living in the village, who has since fled fearing reprisal, that they knew where he was hiding out.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 12:09:40 PM »

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 12:41:47 PM »
is like two different sets of people from dese news articles.

multiple witnesses but no one have a video on dey mobile? is 2011 but t&t still with flash bulb and flim. steups.

dey need more camera in t&t.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 03:50:57 PM »
is like two different sets of people from dese news articles.

multiple witnesses but no one have a video on dey mobile? is 2011 but t&t still with flash bulb and flim. steups.

dey need more camera in t&t.

you need to watch some crime watch
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 05:13:51 PM »
The most disgusting thing in all of this was the reaction of the commenters on the Express, talking about "three less criminals" and "good riddance".  The type of ignorance I does see people posting just to get a "thumbs up" is really disgusting at times.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 08:28:31 AM »
People pressure...good for them

Gibbs flies to Moruga...but residents still unhappy

[url]Police Commissioner Dwayne Gibbs flew to Moruga via helicopter at noon yesterday to meet with the families of three residents killed by police officers a week ago, but they left the meeting dissatisfied.

Gibbs spent two hours in a closed-door meeting with family members of Abigail Johnson, Allana Duncan and Kerron Eccles.

The meeting was held at the St Mary's Government Primary School, next door to the St Mary's Police Post that was blockaded the previous day by residents daring officers to fight back.

Dozens of police officers stood guard during Gibbs' visit.

Gibbs told the families about the procedure for investigating a homicide.

But relatives of the dead left the meeting fuming. They said Gibbs reminded them that an investigation was being conducted. Gibbs said the police officers would not be suspended, relatives said.

The protest which has crippled much of St Mary's Village since Monday would go on, the families said after the meeting.

Eccles' brother, Ricardo Eccles, said relatives were not satisfied with Gibbs's response to their demands.

"I don't know why he (Gibbs) came here. We are demanding that the police officers involved in the shooting are suspended pending the investigations. But the Commissioner is saying that they cannot do that until the investigation is completed. We not satisfied with that," he said.

Eccles added, "If the police officers get suspended we might get some kind of comfort."

MP for the area Clifton De Coteau said he did not know the commissioner was visiting, "I came here to meet the families and I tried to get into the meeting, but was prevented. I guess that is the respect they have for the MP," he said.

Former People's National Movement parliamentarian, Peter Taylor, was also barred from entering the meeting and joined the protesters outside.

Taylor said he was "deeply troubled" by the shooting and demanded justice for the grieving families.

During the meeting, protesters outside the school began beating drums and chanting, as word spread that the families were dissatisfied.

Long before the arrival of Gibbs, the barricades were burning at Poui Trace, Bachan Trace and Saunders Junction, with only the sick being allowed pass.

The funerals for the three victims were cancelled by relatives who are demanding that the bodies be examined again as part of the homicide investigation. But relatives confirmed yesterday that the three would be buried following separate funeral services next Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

The protests began on Monday.

Police said they responded to a report that a double murder suspect was seen in a car. The police claim they intercepted the car and there was a shootout. The three were shot and later pronounced dead at the Princes Town District Hospital.

Police said the car was stolen at gunpoint from a woman at New Settlement, California in January and was carrying false number plates, and Eccles was identified by the victim as the thief.

The families were told by eyewitnesses that there was no shootout and the three were executed by the officers.

Relatives also denied reports that Eccles, a construction worker, and Johnson, who owned a DVD shop, were charged last year with kidnapping. "I never hear my brother was ever charged with kidnapping. The police who saying those things about my brother would never be able to sleep in the night, because it will be on their conscience," Ricardo Eccles said.

Eccles' wife, Junette Bascombe" confirmed, however, that he was charged in the past with breach of a protection order. "I did report him to the police before, but not because he was a criminal. He drank plenty and that caused problems at home. But he was not criminal," she said.

Protesters plan to be back on the streets today.

Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 10:21:04 AM »
MP for the area Clifton De Coteau said he did not know the commissioner was visiting, "I came here to meet the families and I tried to get into the meeting, but was prevented. I guess that is the respect they have for the MP, he said"

If this report is correct the good folks in Moruga should expect nothing of substance from this lightweight other than craving the limelight.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 09:32:54 AM »
6 COPS NABBED
Seventh cop to surrender
By Akile Simon

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/6_COPS_NABBED-132759268.html

SIX police officers involved in the shooting deaths of three people in Moruga three months ago have been arrested by their colleagues in connection with the incident.

Best friends Abigail Johnson and Allana Duncan, along with construction worker Kerron "Fingers" Eccles, were shot dead by officers of the Southern Division CID and Robbery Squad on July 22.

The officers- five policemen and one policewoman who is the mother of a six- month-old baby—range between ages 24 and 35. One is a corporal while the others are constables.

A seventh officer, who was not at home when police showed up, was expected to surrender to police after he was told his colleagues had been detained. Up to late yesterday, however, the officer had not turned himself in to police.

The officers were held at their individual homes early yesterday as the investigation into the killings nears completion.

The Express was reliably informed by police sources the killings were captured on a surveillance camera at a nearby residence. This video footage, which is in the hands of the investigators, revealed that the trio did not open fire on the officers who claimed they were fired upon.

Director of Public Prosecutions Roger Gaspard, in a statement to the Express yesterday, dismissed reports the officers were expected to be charged with the murders of Johnson, Duncan and Eccles.

He, however, stated that he has been in touch with the investigators in the matter and will soon make a determination after fully reviewing the file.

"I have met with and I have been advising the police in this matter. I don't know anything about the 'expectation' of (murder) charges. At the appropriate time I will dispassionately evaluate the contents of the file when the investigation has been completed. To suggest otherwise, is to engage in prejudgment (and) I can't go there," Gaspard said.

Head of the Police Complaints Authority (PCA), attorney Gillian Lucky, also confirmed that she had heard of the arrests but would make a full statement later today.

Lucky, who personally met with the relatives of the victims days after the incident, had been closely monitoring the police probe into the incident. She had promised the relatives that she would do all in her power to ensure there wasn't a police cover up in the incident.

Lucky said, "I was made aware this (yesterday) morning that there were certain developments in the matter involving the killings in Moruga. As a result, I have asked that certain matters be clarified and I will be in a position to give a statement to the public tomorrow (today)."

Director of the Public Affairs Unit in the Police Service, Sharon Lee Assang, when questioned on the matter at yesterday's daily briefing, said she wasn't aware that officers had been arrested.

Told that the arrests had been broadcast on various news channel, and that journalists felt that when police officers are accused of crimes, the information is not disclosed to the public by the unit, Lee Assang said such information is not sent to the unit. She however promised to get information on the arrested police officers.

"I'm really surprised that we don't have that information (and) we really have to find out why... I am speaking in general and I am speaking specific because if we are to continue to provide that information we need to be given it."

"The mandate of the Public Affairs Unit is really to provide information on positive developments taking place within the service as well as to educate and inform the national community with regard to protect themselves. It's really an avenue of communication," Lee Assang said.

Lee Assang did fulfil her promise and later issued a press statement confirming that the officers had been arrested by a team of officers led by Assistant Commissioner Police (ACP), Raymond Craig of the Professional Standards Unit of the Police Service.

"ACP Craig is the senior investigator probing the deaths of Abigail Johnson, Allana Duncan and Kerron Eccles which occurred on July 22, 2011. Their arrest is a result of the incident which occurred relative to that matter.

"The officers, all formerly of the Robbery Squad in San Fernando, were taken into custody. The ranks of the officers are as follows: five constables and one corporal. At present efforts are being made to interview another officer in connection with the incident. Enquiries are continuing," the statement read.

Craig had been appointed to supervise the investigation by Commissioner Gibbs after relatives of the victims objected to Snr Supt Donald Denoon, head of the Homicide Bureau of Investigations (HBI), being the lead investigator in the Moruga killings, as he may have known the officers while he worked as a senior policeman, and head of the Southern Division, before taking charge of the HBI.

After the officers were detained yesterday, they were taken to the Region I HBI office in Port of Spain where at least one of them was interviewed.

They are being housed in individual cells at the Central Police Station in Port of Spain, Woodbrook, Barataria, San Juan and Arouca police stations. Their shoelaces and belts have been removed from their clothing as a security measure.

Attorney for the officers, Subhas Panday, who was a Minister in the Ministry of National Security at the time of the killings, yesterday said he met with each of his clients at the various police stations.

He said search warrants for arms and ammunition were executed at his clients' homes early yesterday and they were later taken into custody by police in connection with the Moruga killings.

Panday said, "I spoke to each and every one of them today while making my rounds and they are concerned as police officers, and even private citizens, given the conditions that they are housed under at these police stations... It has the potential to have them in a state of disorientation. The police could detain them for a certain period of time and I'm giving the police sufficient time to conduct their enquiries."

He said measures have been put in place to ensure that the policewoman's child is well taken car of in her absence so that additional stress would not be on her shoulder while she remains in custody.

Panday also confirmed that a seventh officer was yet to turn himself in but he hoped that will be done quickly to expedite the investigations so the file could be sent to Gaspard for advice.

The killings of Johnson, Duncan and Eccles had immediately sparked fiery protests in the Moruga area which continued for several days, causing Commissioner of Police Dwayne Gibbs to fly to the area via a helicopter, where he met with relatives of the victims.

Police had claimed the trio opened fire on officers, who attempted to intercept the car they were travelling in at the corner of Poui Trace and Rochard Road, Barrackpore.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 12:35:19 PM »

The Express was reliably informed by police sources the killings were captured on a surveillance camera at a nearby residence. This video footage, which is in the hands of the investigators, revealed that the trio did not open fire on the officers who claimed they were fired upon.

crapaud smoke they pipe, i hope they enjoy the jail time
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 12:42:08 PM »
This is massive news

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 06:35:46 PM »
Sad sad story, ahh boy
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2011, 06:47:50 PM »
Going and find out who them police is.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 02:38:31 AM »
This is a victory for democracy. People need to protest more. If these villagers did not protest, this would have been swept under the carpet. We don't know yet exactly what happened, but it does appear that if the protesters had not stood their ground, the memories of 3 people would have been consigned to history as criminals and potentially up to 7 murderers would be patrolling the streets armed and in uniform. My thoughts also go out to the policewomans young child. The baby must have only been around 3 months when this happened. How can a mother be so irresponsible?

That said, of course, they may still be innocent, but for the police to arrest their own, the evidence must be pretty damning.   

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2011, 05:02:09 AM »
This is a victory for democracy. People need to protest more. If these villagers did not protest, this would have been swept under the carpet. We don't know yet exactly what happened, but it does appear that if the protesters had not stood their ground, the memories of 3 people would have been consigned to history as criminals and potentially up to 7 murderers would be patrolling the streets armed and in uniform. My thoughts also go out to the policewomans young child. The baby must have only been around 3 months when this happened. How can a mother be so irresponsible?

That said, of course, they may still be innocent, but for the police to arrest their own, the evidence must be pretty damning.   

Agreed FS.  Not sure bout the last part though, officers have been brought before the court before only for them to go free not just in this case but in many others.  So while ah happy I will be cautious in my celebrations.....

On another but related note, that Lee Assang woman does rub me (and plenty people apparently) the wrong way.  As the PR person and knowing that this case was so much in the public eye, how de arse you eh know about the arrests??  Steups!!  She need to throw she frame.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 07:04:26 AM »
Cop gives up
Six lawmen in Central Taser attack to surrender
By Akile Simon

THE seventh police officer wanted in connection with the shooting deaths of three people from Moruga is now in police custody after he turned himself in to the Homicide Bureau of Investigations office at Coffee Street, San Fernando, late on Friday.

The officer, who is a sergeant, in company with his attorney, went to the office and surrendered.  Up to late yesterday, he remained in custody.  Six of his other colleagues who were picked up at their homes early on Thursday, also remained in custody at police stations along the east-west corridor.

Several of the officers, a source close to the probe told the Sunday Express, were being interviewed by a team of investigators under the supervision of ACP Raymond Craig, head of the Professional Standards Unit.

The officers are probing the shooting deaths of Abigail Johnson and Allana Duncan, along with construction worker Kerron "Fingers" Eccles, who were shot dead by officers of the Southern Division CID and Robbery Squad on July 22.

The suspects—six policemen and one policewoman who is the mother of a six-month-old baby—range between the ages 24 and 35.

They are being housed in individual cells at the Region I Homicide Bureau of Investigations in Port of Spain, the Central Police Station in Port of Spain, Woodbrook, Barataria, San Juan and Arouca Police Stations.

The officers are being represented by attorney Subhas Panday, a former minister in the Ministry of National Security.  Director of Public Prosecutions Roger Gaspard, who has been advising the police on their investigations, had not made a decision in the matter up to late yesterday.

The killings of Johnson, Duncan and Eccles sparked fiery protests in the Moruga area which continued for several days, causing Commissioner of Police Dwayne Gibbs to fly to the area by helicopter, where he met with relatives of the victims.

The police officers claimed the three opened fire on them as they attempted to intercept the car they were travelling in at the corner of Poui Trace and Rochard Road, Barrackpore.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Cop_gives_up-132864063.html
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 07:19:26 AM »
Unrelated but I was confused about the reference to 6 cops surrendering for a taser attack in the previous article.....its a separate case but here are the details.  I remember this case from last year because Marcia Henville interviewed the men on radio along with their mother talking about the experience.  I remember the last name Youksee because its an uncommon surname....

But hear nah with these police in court/jail/on suspension/charges, who de hell goh be running the station and dem??  Lawd fadder....

Six cops facing Taser-attack charges expected to give up
By —Akile Simon

SIX police officers, from the Central Division, who are facing charges in relation to a Taser attack against three Tunapuna men are expected to surrender to police.

The officers, a police source said, in company with their attorneys, are expected to turn themselves in on Tuesday to head of the Central Division, Snr Supt Edward Castillo, where charges will be laid against them and they will be taken before a Chaguanas magistrate.

Yesterday, Castillo, during a brief telephone interview, confirmed he received advice from Director of Public Prosecutions, Roger Gaspard, to lay charges against the six cops in connection with the incident.

Brothers Randy and Ricardo Youk-See, ages 21 and 28 respectively, and neighbour Kyron Baptiste, 18, all of Tunapuna, reported they were beaten, tortured with Taser guns and threatened with death by the police officers.

The incident occurred on March 11 last year at the Chaguanas Police Station. Then Acting Commissioner of Police, James Philbert, had detailed Castillo, who was then a Superintendent at the Port of Spain CID, to probe the matter.

The victims reported that on the day in question, they were detained by police while at Price Plaza, Chaguanas, and taken to the Chaguanas Police Station after the officers accused them of stealing cars from the mall.

They reported they were taken to the back of the police station where the police officers kicked, cuffed and beat them with a golf club. The victims, in their statements given to Castillo, added they were shocked with Taser guns.

The victims, who had to seek medical treatment for burns and injuries they received as a result of the incident, were later released without being charged with any offence.

Randy and Ricardo's mother, Gwendy, had supported them since after the alleged incident and had filed official complaints with the Police Complaints Authority. She said even though she was a bit disappointed that the matter took so long before it was brought to conclusion, she was always confident that Gaspard would have made the right and informed decision in the matter.

She also praised Castillo for the manner in which he conducted the probe, despite obstacles he endured during the investigation.  Gwendy added she intends to visit the Chaguanas Police Station in company with Ricardo this week in an attempt to retrieve his taxi which has been impounded at the station since the incident.

She also thanked TV6's Crime Watch talk show host Ian Alleyne who had first publicly highlighted the incident.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Six_cops_facing_Taser-attack_charges_expected_to_give_up-132864058.html
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 10:04:47 AM »
"Dem police eh know obeah"

Father do something that only you can do for my T&T.  Help the leadership to do right by you and the people.  Help the people to do right by you and the law.  Help them that are paid to uphold the law serve the communities.  Help the youths to make the right choices.  Be with the families of the ones lost, comfort them in this time.  Be with the police also that committed this crime.  More so help us understand that justice doesn't come from spiritual wickedness and sorcery but it comes from you.  Your word said that You will repay and that vengeance is Yours.  No one can do anything and get away, no man can mock you...for whatever we sow, we will reap.  So Father help us to fear You even before the time of trouble comes upon us.  Help us to trust You even when we don't understand.  Give us the strength to bear the many pressures of life, the injustice and uncertainty.  Help us to live with eternity in view.  And even though we may not know when You'll call our number, death is not the end.  May we see Your face and sense Your love as we gaze at the glorious sky, dip in the blue sea, lick the juice off our elbows from a Julie, share a smile with a friend or gaze into the eyes of our children.  Hoping to hold the innocents of that moment forever.  Lord these moments are from You....Help us to hear You in these moments and obey You.  Amen.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 10:09:21 AM by Preacher »
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 11:27:38 AM »
I don't bat for the God-squad, but Preacher that is a good prayer right there. A nice lil reminder for reflection, and thankfullness for the little that we have. Strength to the the families to press ahead in their search for justice.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 12:23:07 PM »
I wonder what Nizam and Devant have to say about the racial discrimination in the Police service now...!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 05:23:02 AM »
couple comments.

1. Juss hope these police officers are not used as "examples" and that they have solid evidence against them.

2. If they are indeed guilty of killing 3 innocent people, one tend to wonder what if anything would have happened if the villagers didn't protest etc. Does the SIU not investigate police shooting etc?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 08:35:31 AM »
I wonder what Nizam and Devant have to say about the racial discrimination in the Police service now...!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

U 2BADDDDDDDDDDD
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>