March 28, 2024, 06:29:16 AM

Author Topic: 13yr old girl being raped - broadcast on tv at 6pm  (Read 16510 times)

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
13yr old girl being raped - broadcast on tv at 6pm
« on: October 28, 2011, 05:54:53 AM »
From a blog post I came across on Twitter - this is madness!  >:(

http://kramtt.blogspot.com/2011/10/sex-crime-and-videotape.html

This morning, I woke up to my Facebook page littered with references to 2 posts about the popular show Crimewatch.  I am fairly sure that all of you know about Crimewatch, so I won’t get into it here.
The first post was by a blogger known as Women Speak, and her eloquent piece can be found here.  The second was a note on Facebook, by a young lady who was clearly deeply affected by what she saw on the programme.  It drove her to this impassioned statement.  This of course made very curious about what had taken place, so I turned to my source of info (twitter) and asked my followers if anyone had seen the relevant programme.  Some of them did, and I gleaned the facts from them.  These facts are presented below.

At some time, a young girl, whose age on the show is alleged to be 13 years, was sexually assaulted/raped by person/persons known or unknown.  Someone recorded this act on a cell phone.  This recording found its way into the hands of the intrepid Ian Alleyne.  Mr Alleyne shows the video repeatedly and in fact shows the face of one of the perpetrators asking for the public’s help in identifying the person in the video.  He also interviews the girl and the girl’s mother, both of whom have apparently consented to this video being shown on “national television”.
It is also important to note that Crimewatch airs at 6:00 p.m., that is to say, just before primetime news, and at a time where children are viewing television.  Apparently as well, Mr Alleyne encouraged parents to have their children watch the programme.
Needless to say many people have reacted in a very negative manner to this story.  I was shocked just hearing about it.  A virtual twitter storm has erupted, with many people calling for TV6 to take some action in the matter.  The author of the Women Speak blog has taken the issue to heart and is mounting a commendable twitter campaign to have something done about the matter.
The views expressed in the posts above put far more eloquently my feelings on the matter.  I have not seen the video, nor do I intend to attempt to find it or watch it.  I am truly disturbed that anyone would think it appropriate to show such a graphic video.  What is the purpose of doing that?  From where I sit, it does not seem to be anything more than shock value and a means of getting ratings.
Further, it seems to me that showing this video is in contravention of the Sexual Offences Act which prohibits the publication of likely to lead members of the public to identify a person who is the victim of a crime under the Act.  I have been told by various persons that the girls face was clearly shown in the video and was not blurred or blocked in anyway whatsoever, so it would be easy for anyone who knew her to recognise her, and for those who did not know her to recognise her if they subsequently saw her in person.  Also, I am told that the alleged perpetrator was a young looking boy, who may be a minor.  That raises other issues as to whether his identity can be published.
I have mixed views as to Ian Alleyne and his show.  No doubt he is doing some good, but I always get the impression that it is an exercise in self aggrandisement.  Always having to point out How Great is IAN ALLEYNE, All Hail Ian Alleyne.  It is that sort of attitude that makes one show a video of a girl being raped at 6:00 in the evening… or at anytime at all.  It’s all about the ratings.  He already has shown that he does not care about breaking the law himself, or crossing over lines of decency
And another thing, where did that video come from?  It must have been filmed by someone at the scene of the event, who then sent it to Ian Alleyne, or the programme.  Do we know who filmed it?  Have they been reported to the Police? More seriously, with the viewing of this, are we going to see a phenomenon where persons are filming crime instead of stopping it, or worse yet, perpetrating crime in order to film it, to have their handiwork shown on Crimewatch?
So you may have seen the programme and have been disgusted by it, and want to take some action.  What can you do?

1. Complain to TV6.  The programming manager at TV6 is Ms Rhonda Ottley, and the General Manager is Ms Shida Bolai.  The website lists a customer care email address at customercare@ccngroup.com.  The TV6 phone number is 868-627-8806, their fax number is 868-623-0785.

2. Complain to the Telecommunications Authority of Trinidad and Tobago (TATT).  This is the authority charged with oversight of the television industry in Trinidad and Tobago.  They have a specific form for dealing with complaints about the content of broadcasts, which can be found here. (site works best in Internet Explorer)

3. Complain to the advertisers.  Find out who the advertisers of the show are and complain to them.  Tell them that they should not be supporting a programme which would show such disgusting material on it.  Threaten to boycott their product/services if they continue to sponsor the show.

4. Don’t let go.  Too often in Trinidad and Tobago we tend to start off hot and sweaty and then we let them go.  Don’t let this be a 9 day wonder.
This is a serious matter folks, and I hope we do something about it now.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Re: 13yr old girl being raped - broadcast on tv at 6pm
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 08:22:17 AM »
I saw it and was very disturbed by it as well..

Pretty much on board with all the sentiments expressed here and in the WomanSpeak article.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 08:39:21 AM »
shock tv ah tell allyuh dis man go be problems....there is nothing the least bit controlled or for dat matter procedurally correct about d free license dey give dis fool............the "good" he does is ephemeral  at best and more than anything else shows up the fact dat we police does operate by guess............but den dat obivious...............I equally concerned about d parents dat allow dis shit and in cases of child rape an such it not illegal to disclose the victims identity in any form or fashion especially if a case being built ???    :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:
I pity the fool....

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 01:47:18 PM »
i also saw the video and almost lost my lunch. from watching when he interviewed the mother, i gathered that the she probably had no idea what she was doin in that she probably didnt understand what was going on

somebody need to reign in Ian a bit. he overstepping

legal question now. would showing the face of a possible suspect interfere with the case???. could a suspect be released because of that??
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 02:16:35 PM »
i also saw the video and almost lost my lunch. from watching when he interviewed the mother, i gathered that the she probably had no idea what she was doin in that she probably didnt understand what was going on

somebody need to reign in Ian a bit. he overstepping

legal question now. would showing the face of a possible suspect interfere with the case???. could a suspect be released because of that??

...if somebody gih ketch on camera robbing ah bank.....and then they use de same video and broadcast it tuh get help identifying de tief, I would tink de same could be applied here. But me eh no lawyer, so I jes supposing.

Offline socachatter

• ey boy look ah make
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 03:58:22 PM »
For those of you that want to register your complaint with TATT the email is: info@tatt.org.tt.  The online form did not work for me.  But these are the details they require: Crime Watch, 25th October 2011, 6pm, Ian Alleyne, TV6.  The content is detailed above.  And then express your complaint. Please register your voice on this.  It represents a complete breakdown of social code, a violation of the public trust and the repeated violation of a 13 year old mentally challenged girl. If her parents/guardians will not protect her, the public should at least try to.

Personally I have called for the show to be pulled from the airwaves because for me there is no redemption after an editorial choice like that and I've also asked for TATT to heavily penalize TV6 for allowing this content to be broadcast not once but recorded and repeated twice. 
"Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority.  The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong.  All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who doubted current moral values, not of men who tried to enforce them."

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 02:02:47 AM »
I have said before that Alleyne does achieve results, but the way he is spiralling out of control concerns me. I would think that the showing of this video may hamper any trial that happens in the future, as the defence could claim that the video would influence the juries verdict.

Om Lalla is supposed to be the shows legal adviser, so he must take responsibility. If he wasn't consulted, then he should remove himself from the show.

Tonite (Fri 28th) I caught part of Crimewatch. Alleyne was shown with a dead females body on a gurney. He was showing the camera various injuries on the dead body and giving his untrained explanations of how these injuries were caused. I was outraged that the dignity of a dead woman could be denigrated on TV to gain ratings. The young womans family and friends must have been shattered by seeing Alleyne, who has no legal right to touch this body, pulling around her head and limbs. My God, has the man got no shame or sense of morality?
I am sorry to say this, but Ian Alleynes actions are more disrespectful than many of the criminals he tries to catch.
This show must be taken off the air and replaced by a more responsible version without Alleyne. I am damn sure Alleyne is breaking laws by these actions and the police should go after him.

I will be complaining about this episode as well as the one on 25th

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 06:33:23 AM »
Unfortunately I missed the show that day....and from all reports it was repeated the next day (Divali) but I missed that one too.  But from all the fuss people making it must have been disgusting.....ah like the entertainment eh and people getting held because of him, but if he gone too far as people are suggesting then yeah, he needs to be reigned in......I eh know how TV 6 allow that one to go on air.....I don't know how these things work but doesn't the material have to be screened first or something so??.... ???  :-\
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 08:59:40 AM »
I've decided to simply stop commenting on some of these things.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 02:59:09 PM »
Ian Alleyne on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10150887093840144&id=427769105143

To my fans here in T&T and across the globe, as we speak, the future of 'Crime Watch' is being discussed and will be revealed later this evening... Nevertheless, a suspect was held and charged with the rape of the innocent 13year-old rape victim. So whoever said I'm not a performer, 'rock so' and dats why you all have to tune in at 6 p.m. I am Ian Alleyne and I run this town 'Doh hot' ya head!'

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 03:17:51 PM »
Not surprised...

Crime Watch gets a failing grade from MATT

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2011/10/31/crime-watch-gets-failing-grade-matt

A week after a local television host aired graphic video footage sensationalising an alleged sexual assault of a minor, the Media Association of T&T is condemning the airing, describing it as a violation of the child’s rights by national television. In a statement, MATT says the broadcast was aired in prime time and created outrage among the populace. “This broadcast, the times when it was aired, and the sensational manner in which the material was presented, outraged many members of the community,” MATT said.

It added: “The Media Association shares this outrage and believes that compassion for the victim and basic human decency would deem this material completely inappropriate for broadcast. Therefore, we join in condemning this repeated broadcast of what purports to be a very serious criminal assault on a minor.” “While the programme in question highlights and advocates solutions to crime and victims’ rights, in this instance, the broadcasting of this video has further violated the child victim,” MATT officials explained. However, MATT added that “whether or not the law and the guidelines set by the Telecommunications Authority of Trinidad and Tobago have also been broken, is a matter for legal experts.”

According to MATT, one of the primary responsibilities of the Media Association is to promote and protect the freedom of the press as a vital arm of our democratic society. “The association believes that the media, in a civilised society, must remain free to publish and broadcast any material they feel to be in the public interest.” However, the organisation called on radio and television presenters as well as media owners to exercise responsibility. “They should at all times be guided by the international best practices of media ethics, the law, good taste and the public interest.”

The association also expressed concern about “the lack of training, qualifications and experience among some of those who are currently given access to the airwaves, but who can by no means be described as professional journalists.” “Populations at home and around the world now have access to affordable technology that can capture video and photographs. Media owners should provide training for their newsroom staff and, where necessary, freelance presenters, in the ethical and legal use of these images and other material that they are considering for publication or broadcast,” MATT added. The Association said this is essential if the professional, ethical and legal standards of the media are to be upheld.

News

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 12:24:02 PM »
Ian Alleyne apologises

By

Story Updated: Oct 31, 2011 at 11:52 PM ECT )

CCN TV6's Crime Watch host Ian Alleyne yesterday apologised for airing a video which showed the face of a 13- year-old girl being raped.

At the start of the Crime Watch programme at 6 p.m., Alleyne admitted that the face of the victim was shown but said this was done in error and he apologised for showing the clip.

He added, however, that his detractors would not stop him from doing his job and pointed out that the incident had happened since June and the suspect arrested only after the video was shown.

Meanwhile, Telecommunications Authority of Trinidad and Tobago (TATT) has sent a letter to TV6 advising that a criminal offence may have been committed with regard to the airing of the video clip on October 25 at 6 p.m. and 10.30 p.m. and on October 26 at 6 p.m.

A release issued yesterday by TATT stated that it "has written CCN TV6 and forwarded a copy of that letter to the Director of Public Prosecutions in view of the potential breach of the Sexual Offences Act, by airing on television a video clip showing the rape of a child".

According to the release, the letter sent to TV6 "cited section 32 of the Sexual Offences Act", which states: "A person who publishes or broadcasts any matter contrary to subsection 1 is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine of twenty-five thousand dollars and to imprisonment for five years."

The release further stated that the concession that was granted to CCN TV6 on March 1, 2006 for the provision of television broadcasting services provides that CCN TV6 should not broadcast any material which "violates any law" or "is otherwise contrary to the laws of Trinidad and Tobago".

The release added that the action of CCN TV6 appeared to be in breach of the Statement of Principles and Editorial Guidelines from One Caribbean Media, the parent company of CCN TV6
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 12:36:36 PM »
Let me speak for Gaspard... neither Alleyne nor TV6 violated any laws.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 04:21:31 PM »
I saw Ian Allynes "apology" and it typified the mans personality. There was no remorse...in fact it appeared that Alleyne was really unaware what the problem was. After his brief apology, the rest of the show was dedicated to his rant about how he risks his life, how his family must live abroad and for him, a trip to the mall has to be planned well in advance. He said all of the complaints were from "do gooders" and radio djs who are jealous because they can't get advertisers as everyone wants to advertise on crimewatch. His underlying theme was that we should all be grateful to him and a complaint against him is virtually an act of treason.
He also stated that both the 13 year old girl and her mother had given permission to play the video.

Don't misunderstand me, I believe Crimewatch is a valuable programme. I have also stated before that Alleyne is either incredibly brave or mad as a hatter. However, regardless of all his successes, these do not justify showing this video in this manner. At the very least, the girls identity should have been protected. The fact that permission was obtained is not the issue.

I have been dealing with The Rape Crisis Society recently, and when you hear of the lifelong traumas caused by rape, its frightening. Its a crime that is lived with for the rest of the victims lives. This girl will be forever known as the girl who got raped on Crimewatch. She may not have realised the implications at age 13, but unfortunately, she may rue this decision in 5 years time.

Journalists (and Alleyne is neither a journalist or a policeman) have a duty to report the news but also protect the innocent victims. Alleyne accepted responsibility by stating that he edited both the clip and the show. But Alleyne has had no journalistic training to allow him to understand the moral judgements that need to be made. Its probably happened before in the world, but this is the first time I've seen footage of a rape taking place at 6pm on terrestrial tv.

There was no shame in Alleyne's apology, and thats kinda scary. Someone needs to excercise some restraint on this programme and take editorial control.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 06:15:25 PM »
I also saw the show yesterday where he issued his apology and have to accept it for what it was!

Allyene said he edited the video himself and made an error in showing the young girl’s face which he takes full responsibility for!  I think that was what he basically apologised for rather than for showing the video!

He also pointed out that this incident happened months ago and it was only after the video was aired that the rapist was apprehended.

If the ends justify the means then we have to back what Ian Allyene did minus showing the girl’s face in the video especially seeing that he has now apologised for making that mistake!

His point about all the haters who sit there talking and complaining about Ian Allyene but offering nothing to help apprehend the criminals is 100% correct!!

I still have to applaud him for the work he is doing and the sacrifices he has to make in his personal life as a result even if people find that he loves to gallery too much on his show and crosses the line on occasions!!

Ian Allyene is doing a much better job for Free than the current expensive T&T Police Commissioner in helping to solve serious crimes in the country and bring the criminals to justice!

My vote is for CrimeWatch with Ian Allyene to continue as he is getting results!!!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 06:20:26 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 09:42:18 PM »
He also stated that both the 13 year old girl and her mother had given permission to play the video.

... and this is why I can't see him being charged.  The purpose of the law is to prevent the publishing of the names of victims of sexual assault, so that they are not victimized a second time by having the public heaping shame and scorn on them (don't act like it ent have people out there ignorant enough to try and do just that "she probably know what she was doing and seduce de man... dem young girl and dem too hot fuh deyself").  In a situation such as this where they willingly embrace the publicity then the purpose of the law has voluntarily been frustrated by the victim.  Cyah charge nobody fuh that. The proper thing for TV6 to do would be to discipline Alleyne... but they ent have belly fuh dat.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 09:44:58 PM »

My vote is for CrimeWatch with Ian Allyene to continue as he is getting results!!!

The "results" he getting are no different from the "results" the government getting under the SoE.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 04:16:33 AM »
I also saw the show yesterday where he issued his apology and have to accept it for what it was!

Allyene said he edited the video himself and made an error in showing the young girl’s face which he takes full responsibility for!  I think that was what he basically apologised for rather than for showing the video!

He also pointed out that this incident happened months ago and it was only after the video was aired that the rapist was apprehended.

If the ends justify the means then we have to back what Ian Allyene did minus showing the girl’s face in the video especially seeing that he has now apologised for making that mistake!

His point about all the haters who sit there talking and complaining about Ian Allyene but offering nothing to help apprehend the criminals is 100% correct!!

I still have to applaud him for the work he is doing and the sacrifices he has to make in his personal life as a result even if people find that he loves to gallery too much on his show and crosses the line on occasions!!

Ian Allyene is doing a much better job for Free than the current expensive T&T Police Commissioner in helping to solve serious crimes in the country and bring the criminals to justice!

Really. And you cant get away by beginning that statement with"if". Its a VIDEO OF a  13yr old girl getting raped on TV............LET me let that sink in.......End justifying the means is usually an out for lazy minded people who dont want to find proper solution to problems or actually work hard when faced with something seemingly daunting. So any old thing someone else doing sounds like a cool scn.... it shoulda be my daughter....
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 01:07:47 PM »

Really. And you cant get away by beginning that statement with"if". Its a VIDEO OF a  13yr old girl getting raped on TV............LET me let that sink in.......End justifying the means is usually an out for lazy minded people who dont want to find proper solution to problems or actually work hard when faced with something seemingly daunting. So any old thing someone else doing sounds like a cool scn.... it shoulda be my daughter....

Would you have preferred if she got raped and it was never brought to light to the public so that the perpetrator could be apprehended?

Point is the parent gave Ian Allyene permission to air the video!

By end justifying the means I am referring to the fact that due to video being show on PRIMETIME TV someone was able to identify the perpetrator who was quickly apprehended within a few days!
That incident happened months ago and nothing was being done about catching the perpetrator until Ian Allyene came to the rescue!

Something is wrong with some of allyuh holier than thou fellas yes!
Crime Watch now starts with an adult content warning as its reality TV so if yuh cyah face some harsh realities that’s happening in T&T then doh watch!

Youngsters are being sexually abuse in T&T every day but some of allyuh folks would prefer for some of these realities to be swept under the rug!

The main thing is that Ian apologised for not editing the video as properly as he should have and allowing the young girl’s face to be seen but I think the parent and victim was more concerned about catching the rapist and if you were the parent you would probably have a similar priority!

Rapes are happening all the time and its only ignorant folks who I class as just as bad as the rapist who would further victimise the rape victim because they found out that she was raped.
What sort of uncivilised society do we live in that you would further victimise a rape victim because you found out that she was raped after seeing her face on national TV?
In a civilised society it should be the exact opposite!! You should be offering them sympathy and support rather than further victimisation! No wonder most rape victims are too scared to come forward!

What sort of uncivilised and unsympathetic world do we live in?!

P.S.
I've seen worst than that on Primetime local T&T TV all in the name of entertainment and no one or very few folks called the TV station to complain! There is a lot of hypocrisy being exercised by most folks complaining about that video if you asked me! The man apologised and admitted he made a mistake in showing the girl's face and the perpetrator got apprehended and that is good enough for me.
Ian Allyene and his CrimeWatch programme still has my full support!! He's doing a better job than all the folks sitting and complaining and feeling that this SOE is justiffied in my view!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 01:34:12 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 10:39:38 PM »
Would you have preferred if she got raped and it was never brought to light to the public so that the perpetrator could be apprehended?

Actually... that is NOT the point.  Clearly the mother herself showed poor decision-making.

By end justifying the means I am referring to the fact that due to video being show on PRIMETIME TV someone was able to identify the perpetrator who was quickly apprehended within a few days!
That incident happened months ago and nothing was being done about catching the perpetrator until Ian Allyene came to the rescue!

Seeing that I didn't see the video and don't know the context of the story, I assumed that this was a statutory rape, or that the girl actually knew the perpetrator.  If the rape was in fact committed by a stranger, then I understand the desperation of the parent in wanting to bring the situation to light.  However, this does not absolve Alleyne of blame... he could have digitally edited the film to shield the girl's identity, or just taken stills from the video showing the face of the rapist... assuming his face was sufficiently visible.  I really not buying the apology because is Ian Alleyne and gallery more important than substance.  This is why he misses the point of the outrage at his irresponsible behavior.  The lack of discretion wasn't just limited to showing the victim's face.

No something is wrong with you, it's an unintelligent facking dotish position to take to dismiss legitimate misgivings about Alleyne's behavior as "holier than thou" posturing.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 10:45:31 PM »

Socapro, the reason some laws and guidelines are put in place are to protect victims from themselves! Unless the mother or daughter had been raped before and then had a video shown on tv, they could not possibly comprehend what this will do to their lives. Having a "superstar" like Ian Alleyne persuade them to do this is completely wrong, unless they had an independent legal adviser and a rape councillor present. Rape is a crime that NEVER goes away. But even worse, every friend that girl makes, every boyfriend she has, every future employer will know her as the girl that got raped on Crimewatch. Not just her, but her future boyfriends, husband and children will also have to carry that burden. And people will blame her for being in that situation in the first place.   

That incident happened months ago and nothing was being done about catching the perpetrator until Ian Allyene came to the rescue! I fully agree, but the same result could have been achieved without showing her face. The end does not justify the means. Ian Alleyne knew full well that showing the girls face would achieve more ratings. It was a cynical, calculated decision. His apology showed no remorse or even comprehension of what he did wrong, and that is frightening. If you check the BBC CrimeWatch programme, you will see reenactments of all kinds of violent crime, including gang rapes. This programme has a superb record of solving crimes. And they get complaints about the reenactments! You can achieve the same results while still protecting the victims

Crime Watch now starts with an adult content warning as its reality TV so if yuh cyah face some harsh realities that’s happening in T&T then doh watch! Yeah, and cigarettes have health warnings! To a teenager, an adult content warning is a reason not nto miss the show. It would be more practical not to carry the warning unless particularly harrowing content is to be shown. No programme being aired at 6pm should contain such content. There should be a 10pm watershed to protect young people.

Youngsters are being sexually abuse in T&T every day but some of allyuh folks would prefer for some of these realities to be swept under the rug! Not so. These criminals need to be exposed. I believe that they should be placed on a sex offenders register and a community notified when these perverts move to a neighbourhood. This argument is not about sweeping things under a rug. Its about a child being abused by Ian Alleyne to gain ratings.

The main thing is that Ian apologised for not editing the video as properly as he should have and allowing the young girl’s face to be seen but I think the parent and victim was more concerned about catching the rapist and if you were the parent you would probably have a similar priority! Definately not. My concern would be for the future well being of my daughter. Yes, I'd want the bastard caught, but not at the exposure of my daughter, who is already suffering trauma.

Rapes are happening all the time and its only ignorant folks who I class as just as bad as the rapist who would further victimise the rape victim because they found out that she was raped. Welcome to the real world. You never heard of bullying in the classroom or workplace? These same ignorant folk laugh and jeer at disabled people. Look at the guy who put the footage of the dismembered woman killed on the highway as his profile photo with something like "want leg and thigh?" Crimewatch is just fueling this sickos who laugh and joke about other peoples misery.
What sort of uncivilised society do we live in that you would further victimise a rape victim because you found out that she was raped after seeing her face on national TV?
In a civilised society it should be the exact opposite!! You should be offering them sympathy and support rather than further victimisation! No wonder most rape victims are too scared to come forward! Bingo. Thats exactly why Alleyne should be criticised. After seeing this victims treatment, you think the next victim would come forward? Alleyne had no interest in sympathising with the victim, he just wanted to exploit her. You cannot honestly believe that Alleyne showed her face for her benefit. If she really wanted to be identified, why didn't she just appear on the show? Why did with have to see the terror in her face?

What sort of uncivilised and unsympathetic world do we live in?! One that shows a 13 year old girl being raped on tv at 6pm. Talk about hypocrisy, you complaining about the world being uncivilised and then advocate videos of a girl being raped.

P.S.
I've seen worst than that on Primetime local T&T TV all in the name of entertainment and no one or very few folks called the TV station to complain! There is a lot of hypocrisy being exercised by most folks complaining about that video if you asked me! The man apologised and admitted he made a mistake in showing the girl's face and the perpetrator got apprehended and that is good enough for me.

He did not make a mistake. A mistake is when you don't realise you left identifying items in the footage. Alleyne made a DECISION to show her face.
Ian Allyene and his CrimeWatch programme still has my full support!! He's doing a better job than all the folks sitting and complaining and feeling that this SOE is justiffied in my view!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 09:50:57 AM »

Socapro, the reason some laws and guidelines are put in place are to protect victims from themselves! Unless the mother or daughter had been raped before and then had a video shown on tv, they could not possibly comprehend what this will do to their lives. Having a "superstar" like Ian Alleyne persuade them to do this is completely wrong, unless they had an independent legal adviser and a rape councillor present. Rape is a crime that NEVER goes away. But even worse, every friend that girl makes, every boyfriend she has, every future employer will know her as the girl that got raped on Crimewatch. Not just her, but her future boyfriends, husband and children will also have to carry that burden. And people will blame her for being in that situation in the first place.   

That incident happened months ago and nothing was being done about catching the perpetrator until Ian Allyene came to the rescue! I fully agree, but the same result could have been achieved without showing her face. The end does not justify the means. Ian Alleyne knew full well that showing the girls face would achieve more ratings. It was a cynical, calculated decision. His apology showed no remorse or even comprehension of what he did wrong, and that is frightening. If you check the BBC CrimeWatch programme, you will see reenactments of all kinds of violent crime, including gang rapes. This programme has a superb record of solving crimes. And they get complaints about the reenactments! You can achieve the same results while still protecting the victims

Crime Watch now starts with an adult content warning as its reality TV so if yuh cyah face some harsh realities that’s happening in T&T then doh watch! Yeah, and cigarettes have health warnings! To a teenager, an adult content warning is a reason not nto miss the show. It would be more practical not to carry the warning unless particularly harrowing content is to be shown. No programme being aired at 6pm should contain such content. There should be a 10pm watershed to protect young people.

Youngsters are being sexually abuse in T&T every day but some of allyuh folks would prefer for some of these realities to be swept under the rug! Not so. These criminals need to be exposed. I believe that they should be placed on a sex offenders register and a community notified when these perverts move to a neighbourhood. This argument is not about sweeping things under a rug. Its about a child being abused by Ian Alleyne to gain ratings.

The main thing is that Ian apologised for not editing the video as properly as he should have and allowing the young girl’s face to be seen but I think the parent and victim was more concerned about catching the rapist and if you were the parent you would probably have a similar priority! Definately not. My concern would be for the future well being of my daughter. Yes, I'd want the bastard caught, but not at the exposure of my daughter, who is already suffering trauma.

Rapes are happening all the time and its only ignorant folks who I class as just as bad as the rapist who would further victimise the rape victim because they found out that she was raped. Welcome to the real world. You never heard of bullying in the classroom or workplace? These same ignorant folk laugh and jeer at disabled people. Look at the guy who put the footage of the dismembered woman killed on the highway as his profile photo with something like "want leg and thigh?" Crimewatch is just fueling this sickos who laugh and joke about other peoples misery.
In a civilised society it should be the exact opposite!! You should be offering them sympathy and support rather than further victimisation! No wonder most rape victims are too scared to come forward! Bingo. Thats exactly why Alleyne should be criticised. After seeing this victims treatment, you think the next victim would come forward? Alleyne had no interest in sympathising with the victim, he just wanted to exploit her. You cannot honestly believe that Alleyne showed her face for her benefit. If she really wanted to be identified, why didn't she just appear on the show? Why did with have to see the terror in her face?

What sort of uncivilised and unsympathetic world do we live in?! One that shows a 13 year old girl being raped on tv at 6pm. Talk about hypocrisy, you complaining about the world being uncivilised and then advocate videos of a girl being raped.

P.S.

He did not make a mistake. A mistake is when you don't realise you left identifying items in the footage. Alleyne made a DECISION to show her face.

One correction:
I am not advocating for the video of the girl being raped where her face was shown, lets clear that up!
All I am saying is that because Ian Allyene apologised for his mistake that I am prepared to accept his apology on this occasion if his apology is genuine!

Looking at the bigger picture his  show is doing some useful work in helping to solve serious crimes so I am prepared to forgive his "mistake" this time round because he apologised and explained what happened, about being up late at nights editing all these videos himself to air on Crime Watch the following day!
We all make mistakes but I will not forgive him for a 2nd mistake like that in the future. If Ian Allyene needs help with video editing then he should get a professional video editor to help get footage ready and passable for a programme airing at 6pm the following day! This should not be a money saving excuse!!

I think the show's producer should jointly shoulder some of the blame for that damaging "mistake" that Ian Allyene made when he did the video editing himself and was forced to apologise for the "mistake" because of the public outrage!

I am just hoping that the "mistake" was a genuine rather than a deliberate one as it was unnecessary to show the girl's face in order to get a positive result, i.e. capturing the perpetrator!

P.S. Not taking away from his useful crime solving work with the help of the public, maybe Ian Allyene should cool down on the gallerying a bit but I guess one can argue that it has helped to get his CrimeWatch show up to its current high ratings!!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 10:09:06 AM by Socapro »

1]; } ?>